Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Favored Weapons, Dead Deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aerofanadam
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  08:17:38  Show Profile Send aerofanadam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My question is, what happens to the favored weapon of a god or goddess once they croak? I know some were given specifically to paladins and such perimortem, but if they hadn't been given out and weren't on the deity at the time of death, what happens? Do they just float out in the Astral sea? Do they end up in the realm of the sucessor deity? For example Eilistraee's Moonsword.(not to be confused with run of the mill moonblades or the Cresent blade she made and was successively killed with.) Is it gathering dust in Corellon Larethian's domain somewhere? As far as I know, there is no record of her ever using the thing herself, but it would make a great sword for a spellsinger or other such magic+spell combo fighter.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  09:16:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are official rules on Deities things when they fall. Personally I think it's good because one can do a LOT with that sort of thing in their campaign. In your example, I could see the sword falling throughthe cosmos, landing in an area and then being picked up by someone who does great things. I think such a weapon would be awesome for a Legacy Weapon (v3.5 supplement) and unlocks powers as you progress it's agenda.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  01:48:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there's also a good chance that some-such weapons are intrinsically tied to the deity's power, and when the deity dies, the weapon becomes severely weakened or disappears altogether.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  11:36:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an entry in page 17 of the 2e Faiths & Avatars sourcebook, about the avatars of the Realmsian deities, where you can find this:

Magical items: Often, avatars possess magical items of incredible power. Unless stated otherwise, these items always teleport back to the deity when the avatar is destroyed. Deities may intentionally lend their avatar's magical items to beings who are doing them a great service or for their own inscrutable purposes, but an avatar's weapon cannot be stolen away from it by a mortal, nor can it be lost or destroyed without the intervention of another divine force.

It is 2e info, and it deals with the dead of an avatar (the physical manifestation of the deity, not the god himself), so I'm not aware of what's changed after that. As for the death of a god, I remember the wand of Orcus existing beyond his death, but then again he subsisted as an undead god, and he was not a specific Realms deity (this story is in a Planescape adventure).

EDIT: format fixing and clarifications

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 May 2014 11:43:11
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  11:54:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, dont mention Orcus or his wand. Too many paradoxes it hurts my brain.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

aerofanadam
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  23:28:56  Show Profile Send aerofanadam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Helm's sword is out there after his death, but it was given freely beforehand.
Go to Top of Page

aerofanadam
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  23:49:35  Show Profile Send aerofanadam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, am I understanding the concept of a "Dancing" sword correctly? You just toss it in the air and it attacks without your input? Or is it guided by the user's mind? That would probably defeat the purpose of a spell caster using it if it requires supervision. Then again, if it was the sword of Eilistraee, the drow goddess of swordplay, it would likely be a better swordsman by itself than in the hand of the average spell caster.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  01:22:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're talking about a standard "dancing" sword, it requires no supervision. However, the user must periodically take hold of it again. In theory, it is during these times that its "learning" from its wielder so that it can mimic his moves (and thus hit with his same base attack).

If its a specific god's "dancing" sword, lord only knows.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000