Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 earthmotes in dead magic zones?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Benjamin
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  13:45:02  Show Profile Send Benjamin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, learned sages, please give me your wise counsel on this.

Can earthmotes exist is dead magic zones?

Thanks!

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  15:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one is tricky since we know that floating Earthmotes can exist within areas where the Weave is absent (as the 4E landscape was littered with them). But clearly they require *some* type of magic to remain aloft. So if your dead magic zone refers to the absence of the Weave (as the term was defined in early editions), then yes they can exist. If your dead magic zone nullifies all magic of any kind, then no, the earthmote would come crashing to the ground. That's my take anyway.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  16:31:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Brian on this one: There appears to be two different (but related) types of 'Dead Magic Zones'.

The standard one is an Arcane Dead Magic Zone, and is a region where the weave itself has been torn/obliterated.

The second type is a True Dead Magic Zone, which means all magical energies are not present, which would include wild magic (arcane energy sans The Weave) AND umbral (shadow) energy. Other types - Rune, Pluma, etc - may or may not be effected, dependent upon the author/DM. This type is MUCH rarer.

Thus, Earth-motes should have no problem floating through the more common Dead Magic Zones.

If I were to guess, I would say that normal Weave-based items are affected by the first type (which are most magical items in the world), but a Blue Flame (Pure magic) item would only be affected by the second type. Furthermore, whereas the first type will sicken a magical being that enters it, the second type would probably kill such a creature in a short amount of time, especially if the creature was HIGHLY magical in nature (ie, a dragon).

Theoretically, Shadow-Dead regions (areas where only the shadow-Weave is absent) should also exist, but there have been none documented (to date).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 May 2014 16:35:48
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  23:51:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin

So, learned sages, please give me your wise counsel on this.

Can earthmotes exist is dead magic zones?

Thanks!

Basically, earthmotes would appear to be similar to a construct in an anti-magic field. The magic is instilled within the "device" and it is no longer calling upon the weave to maintain itself. That being said, if some form of magic were used to actively drain this contained magic from the earthmote, it would likely fall. This notedly makes earthmotes decidedly different from the Netherese cities.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  01:03:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earthmotes don't require magic to hold them aloft.

All it takes is that they are drifting within areas heavy in Dark Matter/Energy that keep them aloft.

Easy...done.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Benjamin
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  14:39:29  Show Profile Send Benjamin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, oh learned sages! This gave me new ideas on how to explain things for my campaign.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000