Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Deities of Toril during The Sundering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

forgottenfruit
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  19:26:48  Show Profile  Visit forgottenfruit's Homepage Send forgottenfruit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I started playing D&D and reading FR books during the start of The Sundering. Right now my players are playing Scourge of the Sword Coast and I got some serious confusions on which deity is alive and which isn't.

Seems a lot of the resources are dated and inconsistent.

I specifically want help figured out which deity is Lawful Neutral and what's going on between Amaunator and Lathander.

It was originally Lathander as Neutral Good, then at some point during the Spellplague, Lathander disappeared and was replaced by Amaunator suggesting they are one in the same. This was confirmed during the Year of the Blue Fire right after the Spellplague.

So Amaunator is the current Sun gone with Lathander as an aspect of him. Got it.

But what about the alignments? Are either of them Lawful Neutral? Is there even two deities there since they are the same person?

The forgotten realms Wikia says Amaunator is Lawful Neutral but the Wikipedia entry has him as Neutral Good while the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (Released during 4th Ed) says he's Lawful God.

Ahh!!!

I know Paladins must be of the exact alignment of their patron deity and Sir Isteval worships Amaunator but calls him Lathander. He is Lawful Good.. so then Amaunator is Lawful Good? ..right?

I'm confused! Help me understand Amaunator/Lathander and pick pick a deity for my Lawful Neutral Paladin!

Wikia - Amaunator http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Amaunator
Wikipedia - Amaunator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities
Player's Guide Deities http://imgur.com/a/AhMQM
Pocket Plane http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/deities.htm

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  20:07:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, they are the same. Lathander became Amaunator, symbol of order and stability, during the chaotic times of the Spellplague (and post-Spellplague) Realms, because such role was more needed than the Morninglord.
Now that times of renewal are on the sight, he can return to be Lathander (it's explained in 'The Reaver').

Can't help much about Lathander's alignment tho, I think it still is his old one, NG, but I may be wrong.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 24 Apr 2014 20:11:12
Go to Top of Page

forgottenfruit
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  20:09:50  Show Profile  Visit forgottenfruit's Homepage Send forgottenfruit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

AFAIK, they are the same. Lathander became Amaunator, symbol of order and stability, during the chaotic times of the Spellplague (and post-Spellplague) Realms, because such role was more needed than the Morninglord.
Now that times of renewal are on the sight, he can return to be Lathander.

Ok so a Paladin can't worship one or the other since they are the same. Which is his primary alignment?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  20:29:38  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander has paladins as far as I know. The god itself does not have to be LG, just allow for LG followers. Many churches (including Mystra's) have military branches of paladins. Even if it weren't 'official' you can still allow for it in your campaign.

And welcome to Candlekeep!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  14:07:02  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't really looked at 4e paladins (and since that edition didn't have the 9 alignments, I'd be unsure how to translate it) but in 3e the rule is if your alignment is within one step of your god's.

By this I mean that any god with a Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good alignment could have paladins.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  16:30:43  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1st-3.5rd edition, Paladins were LAwful Good and had to follow a god who allowed LG clerics (The one step rule of 3rd)... except for Sune in 3rd. Paladins were more in orders then anything else. So Lathander had Paladin, like the Order of Asters.

4th edition had aligns of LG, Good, Unaligned, Evil and CE. Paladins could be of any alignment, even if it's strange for them to have Paladins of Shar with Radiant powers. (Blackguards were uses of the shadow power source. They likely did this so they could have one single holy warrior, then nine per alignment which occurred in the previous edition.

Amaunator was Lawful Neutral originally, which caused his 'death' as he could do 'nothing' about Netheril's Fall given it was magic-based and Mystral (sp) handled all magic legally. Lathander was Neutral Good. So LG is a good compromise, especially since NG and LN were rolled into Good and Unaligned, respectively.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  11:09:06  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3.5 edition, UA and Dragon had Paladin archetypes for all alignments, but the game designers weren't too fond of non-core supplements, which is why you don't see them much.

The non-converted 3.0 books and the early 3.5 books pretty much suffer from this, which is why poor Bane is a Blackguard/Fighter instead of being a Paladin of Tyranny.

Ironically, that means that Blackguard is obsolete as a fallen paladin prestige class, since a paladin of Torm who slowly falls to the ideals of Bane could simply have his paladin levels converted to paladin of Tyranny and continue on his merry way.

Edited by - LordofBones on 26 Apr 2014 11:11:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000