Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Spellplague
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  03:28:45  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have found myself resistant to 4E Forgotten Realms. Are there any novels that are must read, or could one simply skip to the Sundering series without missing anything too important?

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  15:23:08  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are really resistant, you could just go right to the Sundering and start to step back into a familiar type of Realms.

However, you would miss some really good work by Erin M. Evans with her Brimstone Angels books.

Or Byers Brotherhood of the Griffons series.

Those are 2 right off the top of my head that I truly enjoy that directly deals with 4e materials.

Mind you, I didn't do any extensive reading of FR novels during this time, however.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  15:34:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some really good novels set in the 4e realms that ,IMO, should not be skipped like Brimstone Angels, Brotherhood of the Griffon,Chosen of Nendawen, Twilight war trilogy etc.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  17:58:26  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite the fact that the setting isn't as familiar and have the "feeling" of FR as much as 3rd Ed, there are some amazingly stories and incredible characters in 4e Realms. It would be easier to tell you the books to avoid.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  18:28:54  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of great stories set in the 4E Realms.

I've read them all with the exception of 3 books that I couldn't get my hand on. There are a few books that I didn't care much for, but the overwhelming majority of them were a good read at the very least.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  18:33:54  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second Brimstone Angels, my favourite FR series in a very long time.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection
Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  18:35:56  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  21:30:02  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MagniThorson

or could one simply skip to the Sundering series without missing anything too important?
At this point, after 5/6 books from the Sundering, I can safely say that one can also skip the Sundering without missing anything too important.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  22:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with that last post.
For fans of the Realms who have followed it for some time, Mr. Salvatore's book at the beginning of the Sundering has some important events, and from what's been said here and elsewhere about Ed's book at the end of the saga, it will also contain events of lasting importance in the Realms.
Or to put it another way, THE COMPANIONS is a vital book for Drizzt fans and I can't wait to read THE HERALD and expect to enjoy it very much and have it contain critical events in the ongoing history of the Realms.
Personally, I enjoyed reading Mt. Kemp's book and especially Mrs. (Ms.? sorry, Erin) Evans's books, very much. THE ADVERSARY was a standout read, especially if you've read about Farideh and Company before.
BB
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  22:38:39  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed Erik Scott de Bie's Shadowbane series:

Downshadow
Shadowbane
Shadowbane: Eye of Justice
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  22:50:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Ed Greenwood's Sage of Shadowdale series. Great info and lore to be gleaned in how a Spellplague era Cormyr is run. Along with quite a few other surprises. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  19:04:45  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
At this point, after 5/6 books from the Sundering, I can safely say that one can also skip the Sundering without missing anything too important.

*silently nods his assent to this statement as well*
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  22:53:36  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about sword of the gods.that was enjoyable.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  18:11:10  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

I've read almost all of Bruce R Cordell's FR novels, and the tw Sword of the Gods books were the ones I enjoyed the most. Too bad that we'll likely never see more books in this series. A lot of good series are being left interrupted due to the current events. I really hope that WotC goes back to having a book per month schedule.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 28 Apr 2014 18:12:44
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  22:00:03  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

Too bad that we'll likely never see more books in this series. A lot of good series are being left interrupted due to the current events.

Whoa, I just ... got a huge rush of deja vu there ...

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  21:53:08  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

For fans of the Realms who have followed it for some time, Mr. Salvatore's book at the beginning of the Sundering has some important events,
Which where more or less told as "ah yeah furthermore there happened this and that, now back to the companions"
quote:

and from what's been said here and elsewhere about Ed's book at the end of the saga, it will also contain events of lasting importance in the Realms.
I hope so, so far the whole series was sorely lacking in this regard
quote:

Or to put it another way, THE COMPANIONS is a vital book for Drizzt fans
That may be, but not really for the realms as a whole and how it's changed and shaped by the Sundering.
quote:

have it contain critical events in the ongoing history of the Realms.
Which hopefully are not relagted to mere footnotes while telling some other story

Edited by - Mirtek on 29 Apr 2014 21:53:25
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  06:57:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MagniThorson

I have found myself resistant to 4E Forgotten Realms. Are there any novels that are must read, or could one simply skip to the Sundering series without missing anything too important?

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "must read."

If you enjoy Cormyr at all, or like Manshoon or Elminster or Storm Silverhand, you ought to read Elminster Must Die, Bury Elminster Deep and Elminster Enraged.

I particularly enjoyed reading about Elminster blowing his top and laying the smack down on those who sorely needed it.

I wish he'd do that more often.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000