Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Once again Pathfinder/Paizo is eating our lunch...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  17:51:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what not in my realms???? I hate to tell you this but we dont say not in my realms in my realms......

sorry, couldn't resist

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  04:32:28  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay - natch.

JG - you know my feelings on this one. I will say that I agree with you that FAR too many potential play yourselfers just can't seem to handle behaving in anything like a realistic fashion. Then again, people frequently front in and out of games. Lol. When faced with this, it is the job of the DM to do his/her best to bring them back in line with a dose of (fantasy) reality. The good games are the ones where the people you play with are secure enough in themselves to play it straight. Honestly, the thing that bugs me more is people who play elves, dwarves, half demons and the like horribly inaccurately, if you can't play a male human fighter or thief, the degree of pain I'm going to get in DMing you as 'Dugnor the Dwarven Hero' is far in excess of what I'll feel making you play you.

Diffan - I didn't know you were a PYSer. Great news! I'm glad you are having fun with it. It can be a great time.

One of the things it is particularly good for, and why I nag at WoTC to give it some play, is introducing new people (especially young people and female gamers) to the hobby in general and the Realms in particular. Playing a game whose mechanics you don't begin to get while also having to pretend to be a gnome druid is intimidating. Just imagining yourself as you in a new world is a tad easier.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyGrognard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  12:04:30  Show Profile Send JohnnyGrognard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, yea Kris I agree with you on a couple points. Especially the part about "roleplaying" a character and how it can be just as bad as acting against one's natural personality. You can only see so many elves and dwarves that are just....well, you know, heck, I think you and I know pretty well where I am going with this one. :) I guess my biggest beef as you already know is akin to Karyl's post in the other thread with your story. How the SCA or courses can give you a level of such and such a class. I have a big bone of contention with that. We always argued for proof! :)~

Now I won't argue with her that yes, there is a level of being an expert due to education and what not, as you have always done in the past and do it well. However, I think you know where I am coming from on the ranger (myself included), monk (ditto), fighter, stealth, etc arguments we've had in the past with certain folks.

Though I will say this, my favorite version of your pys was the early days where we had to slog about, barely getting by, being afraid of goblins. Now granted at the time, I was too young to appreciate it and fell into the category of what I loathe the most about play yourself games! Sometimes, and you know how sincere this is by saying this is, I do honestly wish, I can recapture those genuine moments.

Door, Room, Monster, Treasure!

Edited by - JohnnyGrognard on 30 Apr 2014 12:06:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000