Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 God of sports?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  00:58:12  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have done some reading and I don't think I ever came across a god of sports/competition/athletes. I feel like one such god would exist in the realms and I just haven't found him/her.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  01:47:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with Lathander since he has Athletics. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  03:26:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oghma, according to the Celts, was the god of wrestling. Utterly unbeatable in any contest of wrestling, even against the most magnificent, skilled, or belligerent among gods and mortals alike.

Oghma, as written in Realmslore, seems disinterested in wrestling. Aside from his double-entendre sobriquet as “The Binder“, no wrestlemania whatsoever seems applicable.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  04:40:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gilgeam works well, though only for characters in the Pre-Spellplague Old Empires... unless you allow his priests to spread his "glory" around the Inner Sea and into surrounding lands. Individuals who honor Gilgeam could pop up anywhere in the Realms, and the further they are from Unther the more likely they would be unaware of his paranoia, bloodlust, tyranny, etc. A cult of Gilgeam on the Sword Coast might even be CG.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  05:58:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'd go with Lathander since he has Athletics. :)

I will echo this one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Apr 2014 06:01:13
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  06:42:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That's a really general and broad category. When you break it down, by sport/competition and by race/racial group, things get a little clearer. Solonar Thelandira, for example, is associated with archery among Elves. Clangeddin Silverbeard is associated with 'valor', which I don't think is a stretch to apply to sports and competition.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  02:17:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander is definitely the closest fit. There may be other gods more fitting for specific sports (fencing for instance would find favoritism with many war-like deities, Auril may bless ice skaters and skiers, Umberlee may actually see some favoritism with fishermen, swimmers and divers, then hunters would be favored by Malar). Ironically, through this you can see how communities might welcome in what would normally be considered evil and vile deities (i.e. Auril, Umberlee, and Malar) because of their involvement with sports.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  05:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure Tempus can be mentioned if you go by any contest involving martial prowess.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  14:43:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I figure Lathandar for the normal sports and Tempus for the more martial ones(fencing , wrestling etc) are probably the best choices.
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  19:02:20  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.0 FRCS lists Athletics in Lathander's portfolio.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  19:06:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say Lathander too, but we must also consider that in 2e Faiths & Avatars Oghma's priests are expert wrestlers, and Lliira's priests are very good with an unarmed style that mixes wrestling and kicks.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  22:35:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Priests of Oghma are expert wrestlers? Learn something new, heh, my bad.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  23:42:03  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Priests of Oghma are expert wrestlers? Learn something new, heh, my bad.

What, you expect them to just sit on their arses all day and have an extra bit of flab?

From what I can find in Faiths and Pantheons, a 3.x supplement for the Realms: Lathander has Athletics (athlete would obviously worship him), and Uthgar has Physical Strength (a lot of athletes could worship him for strength for the event they are participating in). I can't get to my 2e Faiths and Avatars and related books, so I can't find anything for previous Realms. And my 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide is also packed away, so i have no information from that source either. (I have pdfs of just about every 3.x D&D book, so that's how I was able to look up the deities.)

I do seem to remember that those who worship Lliira are usually people who are among the most physically toned, so perhaps some athletes would at least pay lip service to her?

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  00:11:20  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all referees worship helm...

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  00:28:33  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No way, there's a bunch of Cyricist and Maskarran referees.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 22 Apr 2014 00:29:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  02:15:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say Tempus is a viable alternative -- dependent upon the type of sport, for example, those inclined toward a more martial/combative prowess.

Really, I only suggest Tempus because, if I'm remembering correctly, the deity, Kord, of the GREYHAWK setting, has both sports AND combat listed in his portfolios. This could be a platform used to suggest the same for Tempus as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  03:17:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Sumo wrestlers in Shou worship Oghma, hmmm ...

Worshippers of Tempus might enjoy gladiatorial contests and various blood sports. And of course charioteering.

But martial arts emphasizing skill and style, along with such things as fencing and archery, might better suit those who worship the Red Knight, methinks.

Faerûnian deities don‘t seem as inclined towards grand competitions as, say, the Olympic deities. Each deity might attract certain types of athletes, indeed each particular athlete might pay lip service to a number of deities. Dancers might offer prayers to Milil, Sharess, Tymora, and even Akadi; hammer-throwing strongmen might hold faith with Lathander, Silvanus, and stodgy old Tyr.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  04:24:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I would say Tempus is a viable alternative -- dependent upon the type of sport, for example, those inclined toward a more martial/combative prowess.

Really, I only suggest Tempus because, if I'm remembering correctly, the deity, Kord, of the GREYHAWK setting, has both sports AND combat listed in his portfolios. This could be a platform used to suggest the same for Tempus as well.

And a lot of sports have martial roots.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  05:23:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what deity would you pray to before the Halfling-toss events? Just wondering.... (Oh, and I just remembered that Eilistraee hosts the Dancing With the Stars Fearun Edition competition- or is that Dancing UNDER the Stars?! Meh, whatever....)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 22 Apr 2014 05:23:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  08:42:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

So what deity would you pray to before the Halfling-toss events?
I'd say either Arvoreen [tossed halflings count as weapons, right?], Brandobaris [tossing halflings could be construed as a method of stealth], or Sheela Peryroyl [I'd imagine there's probably a lot of song and dance involved with tossing halflings] would qualify. Dependent upon how "serious" the character would be about the halfling toss.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  09:46:16  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Vaprak the Destroyer.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  12:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:

Vaprak the Destroyer.

I am pretty sure one of giant deities would be glad to have competitions like that in his/her name.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  12:33:42  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you consider gladitorial games, remember that Waterdeedp's arena, the Fields of Triumph, is mantained by the clergy of Tempus. Tempus' specialty priests in Faiths & Avatars also get "charioteering" as a bonus proficiency, and by the way the Fields are constructed (its format in the maps), I'm pretty sure they run there.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  17:11:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:

Vaprak the Destroyer.

I am pretty sure one of giant deities would be glad to have competitions like that in his/her name.

I am reminded of one of my fave bits from Dragon magazine... Page 96 of Dragon 187:

quote:
My favorite question was the one about the fighter and the gnome who are trapped in a dungeon with no equipment, and the fighter is forced to pick up the gnome and use him like a club. The question was, “How much damage would that cause?” In response, Zeb wanted to know, “To whom?” Jeff Grubb replied, “Is he using the gnome one-handed or twohanded?” After four days of conventioning, this was quite funny.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Apr 2014 17:12:24
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  22:49:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is halfling-tossing similar to kobold-punting? I suppose theyre the same thing, really, except that kobolds offer a more satisfying yelp. And halfling vermin will try to steal your boot in mid-kick.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  02:50:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Is halfling-tossing similar to kobold-punting? I suppose theyre the same thing, really, except that kobolds offer a more satisfying yelp. And halfling vermin will try to steal your boot in mid-kick.

It can't be anything worse than the time my Thorn Knight in a DRAGONLANCE campaign once tried [and I doubly emphasise tried] to toss a kender!

Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  14:42:37  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember that Anhur was also listed as a god of athletics in the 2nd edition deity books.

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  15:40:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Duh. I forgot Kavaki and his affinity for goatball.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  20:06:45  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This topic seems to need to be reminded that people in the realms worship many or all the gods not just one or a few! (@ "All referees worship Helm".)

Since this is general chat I think I can say something non-canonical from my own realms. In my realms when Lathander became Amaunatar some new deities emerged. I always felt it was unfair that Adon was the only one of the Avatar Series characters not to become a god. I gave him much of Lathander's portfolio related to athletics, sports, and physical perfection. Adon is also similar, and I assume a reference to, to "Adonis" which seems like a very appropriate name for a deity of athletics/sports given the myth of Adonis and how we use the word nowawdays.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  05:13:44  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is how things would go down... Let's say you have a gladiator who is a weapon master. He's an athlete that has spent years honing his craft. He's preparing for a big gladiatorial combat. He was trained in Chessenta but has spent much of his career fighting in Westgate. Who does he pray to?

As he was trained in Chessenta, he will certainly offer prayers to Lathander. The focus on Lathander's portfolio of athletics primarily comes from Chessenta.

Next, he will certainly be offering a great many prayers to Garagos, who is well known in Westgate. Not only is the deities temperament well suited to gladiators, one of his portfolios is skill-at-arms, which is why he is known as the Master of All Weapons. As a result, Garagos may even be his patron deity.

He will also be offering prayers to both Tymora and Beshaba. Tymora obviously for good luck, and Beshaba to appease her to ward off bad luck.

He will offer a prayer to Kelemvor, asking that if he should fall that his death should be glorious and spectacular, worthy of someone of his standing. As well, should he fall, that he be judged fairly, as a man of the gods, and not false.

There are any number of other deities that he'd likely pray too, depending on the events surrounding the particular battle he's about to fight. However, the point is people in the Realms pray to all the gods. They don't just pick one and stick with it. They pray to them all, whenever is appropriate. They pray to good gods as well as evil gods.

Of course, there are some special cases, but those are exceptions and not the rule.

Edited by - Aldrick on 24 Apr 2014 05:15:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000