Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What if Dahlia bears Drizzt child *spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  03:03:06  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It could be one of the reasons she is kept alive and even made matron mother. What better way to lead a war in the name of house DoUrden than with a true DoUrden.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  13:07:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know just the name of the scroll is kind of a huge spoiler......
So thanks for that some of us have not read the book yet.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  21:39:00  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Or even bought the book yet.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  00:18:45  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's any spoiler at all; its pure speculation. (Or is it???? Dan-duh-daaaaaa!)

Its a bit like saying "What if Elminster bears Szass Tam's child?" - not saying it couldn't happen, just highly unlikely.

** Spoilers below **

In terms of the plot, I think its extremely unlikely at this point that Dahlia is going to have Drizzt's child, unless they're forced together at spear-point. It seems that Dahlia is being set up as the anti-Drizzt. The one thing that they have in common is lashings of lovely emo angst. At least Dahlia has an excuse.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  03:40:14  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please no >< though honestly, with as many lovers as Dahlia's had, I'm surprised Effron is the only child she's had. I know elves aren't as fertile as humans, but Dahlia had Effron when she was really young, which to me is weird, because, again, elves aren't very fertile.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  05:12:55  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe its the males with the problem.....
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2383 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  06:49:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

In terms of the plot, I think its extremely unlikely at this point that Dahlia is going to have Drizzt's child, unless they're forced together at spear-point. It seems that Dahlia is being set up as the anti-Drizzt. The one thing that they have in common is lashings of lovely emo angst. At least Dahlia has an excuse.
The last two points give a possible answer to the first. After all, this could lead to more angst.
...among the other options.

quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Maybe its the males with the problem.....
"Lotta half-elves around, but I notice most of 'em got elf dames and human sires. Ain't nothing wrong with your women, that much we know." (Elfsong)

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  19:30:20  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Lotta half-elves around, but I notice most of 'em got elf dames and human sires. Ain't nothing wrong with your women, that much we know." (Elfsong)

Elf chicks are hot!

Too bad they aren't the ones who are infertile...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  20:30:15  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half elves are annoying they aren't even long living.

When we are on the topic of halves, how does Cattie-Bries stance on Orcs and Goblins apply to half-orcs?

Oh and are we already past the orc kings prologue that was set in the future?

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Or even bought the book yet.

Drizzt started sleeping with Dahlia 4 books ago...

Edited by - Crystyn on 15 Apr 2014 20:32:43
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  02:48:20  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

Oh and are we already past the orc kings prologue that was set in the future?

I think so. With all of the revisions to the script that have come with the Sundering, Bob picked up the Companions once again and set the orcs on the back burner, which has made the one-century mark come and go without any fanfare. So another fan on RAS's forums suggested that we revise our understanding of the chronological placement of the Prologue to being slightly less than a century after the signing of the treaty, instead of "a century and more" as it was originally written (TOK, Epilogue):

* 1372 DR: Treaty of Garumn's Gorge (The Orc King, main text).

* 1452 DR: Drizzt and Bruenor part ways while adventuring along the Sword Coast; Mount Hotenow erupts, severely damaging Neverwinter (Gauntlgrym).

* At some point between 1452 & 1462 DR: Drizzt revisits the Silver Marches/Luruar (TOK, Prologue/Epilogue); and later rejoins with Bruenor (implied in Gaunt.).

* 1462 DR: Bruenor & Drizzt serve as caravan guards for the rebuilding efforts of Neverwinter Town (Gaunt.).

* 1463 DR: Neverwinter, Charon's Claw, Neverwinter Tales.

* 1463 - 1484 DR: The Last Threshold.

* 1462 - 1484 DR: The Companions.

* ???: Cutter

* 5 years after the end of the Spellplague: Night of the Hunter.

Now, if Drizzt returned to the Silver Marches close to 1452 DR, then that would be just over 80 years. If he did it close to 1462 DR, then that would be nearly 90 years. So either way, it would be almost a century, but not quite.

1472 DR or later apparently doesn't work because Drizzt's activities during this time period are very well accounted for in the latest books, and they don't allow for him to detour solo to the Silver Marches when he's got either the Companions, or the Companions of Neverwinter, constantly in tow. (I say this based on the observations of people who have read the most recent Drizzt books, but I have not personally, so I cannot attest with confidence whether this is true.)

1452 - 1462 DR works emotionally and thematically, because Drizzt and Bruenor did part company just before the volcano erupted, over Bruenor's obsessiveness with finding Gauntlgrym. That split definitely afforded the ranger some free time to take a personal holiday and ponder the last several decades of developments.

Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  16:39:35  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found on a different thread "Taugmaelle was the orcish bride-to-be in the Prelude to The Orc King, set to marry a human man c. 1472 DR" I don't know where the Poster got his info from though

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16900

In the prologue it does say a hundred years gone, but 1472 seems impossible and probably was rectified by FRs lorekeeper or whatever.

After rereading I advise anyone who read the Forgotten Realms novels the last few years to reread the prologue of TOK, I am astonished just how much RAS was allowed to foreshadow. BTW Doum'wielles brother was called Teirflin and their mother was Sinnafein, Drizzt knows about all of them which is bound to result in an interesting confrontation especially as Tos'un apparently doesn't know much about Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  19:20:40  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found on a different thread "Taugmaelle was the orcish bride-to-be in the Prelude to The Orc King, set to marry a human man c. 1472 DR" I don't know where the Poster got his info from though

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16900

It was I who wrote that. 1372 DR + 100 years = ~1472 DR, give or take. Thus, c.1472 DR.

quote:
In the prologue it does say a hundred years gone, but 1472 seems impossible and probably was rectified by FRs lorekeeper or whatever.

Aye, several books later, the lore has been modified a bit, and we now should probably think of the Prologue material as having a different date than that.

Edited by - BEAST on 16 Apr 2014 19:21:11
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2014 :  22:34:10  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic. The last time Drizzt slept with Dahlia must have been somewhere in the Last Treshold probably while travelling on the ship before Effron tells Drizzt about her and Artemis.

Thinking carefully it's probably too long a time period not to notice a pregnancy.

Would have been a nice twist though.

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  03:07:11  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
When we are on the topic of halves, how does Cattie-Bries stance on Orcs and Goblins apply to half-orcs?

Apparently, half-orcs are ok since their "goodly blood" apparenly makes them not be completely evil. That part of the book really felt like the kind of argumentation I imagine happens in Klan meetings...

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2383 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  09:09:25  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what made "...aristocrats!" joke obsolete. Now out-of-universe it's "...Americans!" and in-universe it's "...Elves!" - well, usually.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000