Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Sentinel review spoiler warning.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  05:03:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I really liked this novel.

The characters were interesting, especially Peox, that biazzare confusing goat.

Iwill say that I knew it would be Joelle who would sacrifice herself, really no matter what the others thought it could be no other who could sacrifice themselves then the Chosen of Sune for love. It wouldn't have made sense.

That being said the fact that the guy ended up getting the girl where the girl interested in her ended up dead will likely bother some lesbians as literture over the years has often had the lesbian on the losing end of the stick when competing over the affections from a woman when the other person is a man.

Still Kendrick didn't exactly win, he just survived and Joelle will always be the one who died for Arretta so when her love for Keef grows cold because he farts to much in his sleep her love for Joelle will be eternal as only tradgic loves can be.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  05:23:17  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One unfortunate thing is that the page count seemed smaller then the other novels. With more room the relationship between the two woman could have been explored now.

I also love the irony the Siamorphe didn't chose Arietta until after the noblewoman had basically rejected her teachings and got mad at the Goddess.

But it also tells me that her worshipper and priests may not understand Siamorphe as much as they think they do. There is a reason she's Lawful Good and not Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil which if she was so shallow as to actually believe in class segeration she wouldn't be Good. The 1% percent aren't better then the rest of us and its more what's in your heart then the station that your born in that determines ones true nobility.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  05:46:25  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will explain why I thought that the scarifice had to be Joelle. Getting someone else to to die in your place wouldn't be love.

Firstly If it was someone Joelle manipulated into falling in love with her, especially by magic, with Joelle knowing that this person would have to sacrifice thier life for hers for love while she just exploited thier love while being safe it would be a fake one
sided tainted by Joelle's selfishness. But choosing to sacrifice herself its selfless.

Also the part I realized in hindsight that it could not be the others because where in love and willing to sacrifice themselves, but they were doing it to save the world from Shar. The sacrifice had to be for love which mean it couldn't a rational choice, not even a noble one, it had to be an actual of pure emotion, pure love.

Joelle didn't think well someone has to die to save the world, she saw the woman she loved in danger and reacted, pure emotion, pure heart. She didn't do it save the world, she didn't do it to stop Shar, she didn't did it for any moral or rational reason, she did it because the woman she loved was in danger, and love not though moved her to act and die.

The duty, the test was for the Chosen of Sune, could she love selflessly.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  06:07:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did Malik and Ruha make an appearance?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  15:09:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malik is a major character in the story, Ruha did not make an appearance.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  17:20:11  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't care for this novel at all. Boring, simplistic, uninteresting, and predictable. None of the characters had any real depth, the driving plot was vague and uninteresting, and some of the subplots were too sudden and out-of-the-blue to make any real sense. Even the villans were boring.

And random elements like the goat - I mean, seriously, what was the point of that?

And once again, everyone and their grandmother was a Chosen.

The incredibly sudden yet deep "true love" relationship between Joella and Arietta fell completely flat and was totally unbelievable, particularly from Joelle's side of things.

Even Malik with his totally 100% expected, yet sudden and inevitable betrayal, was a ridiculous, annoying, obsequious and irritating character throughout. I've hated him ever since he was created, and he was exactly the same awful character here. Wasn't Cyric imprisoned? How does an imprisoned deity have the ability to manifest so fully in the Realms? I suppose the answer is "because" or "Sundering" which is the SAME flaw for every lore/plot element introduced for 4E.

Everything about this novel was bad.

As much as I disliked the Reaver by Byers, it was a million times better than this novel.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 04 Apr 2014 17:24:05
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  19:43:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sundering clearly broke Cyric's prison, I expected this would happen.

And I love Malik, he is my favourite Troy character.

And the reason Joelle fell for Arrietta was that she's the type to fall in love with those she takes care of and protect, which is why Malik lashed out at Arrietta, because he and Cyric knew Joelle would come to Arietta defence and be protective and kind and that would create a bond.

I admit the Joelle and Arietta could have used more development, but you'll notice Troy didn't have the space that the other Authors did. Honestly this is another book that should have been a trilogy, so that the relations between the characters could have been fully developed. I liked Joelle and it would have been nice for her to have had more time and space to develop her and Arietta and Keef.

I really like how this book is about more then companions on an Adventure, I mean thier is that, but thier is romance, but also an exploration of class issues which most FR authors don't try and explore. I like that. I wish more FR authors were willing to explore social issues.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  20:05:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goodreads gives the novel 4.55 out of 5 a very good grade.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  21:47:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked this novel myself too. And what makes it THE AWESOME is what happened in the last few pages of the novel or maybe it was the last page. I forget at the moment. I can't believe nobody has said anything about THAT yet. ;)

I bet Markustay will be quite happy!

Edited by - Eilserus on 04 Apr 2014 22:14:41
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  21:53:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may ask, what's up with ''thwarting the rise of the Goddess of Death''? Is it Shar who tries to get that area of influence, or someone else?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2014 :  02:10:08  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Ill give you what you want Dennis.

Prince Yder Tanthul is a prominent character in this book, and the Most High makes an appearance you will enjoy.

Ill confess I did not enjoy Malik as much this book as previous books. But he was still Malik.

I am dying to read the Herald.

I have 2 reviews due after reread this and Night of the Hunter
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2014 :  15:53:44  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I really liked this novel.

The characters were interesting, especially Peox, that biazzare confusing goat.

Iwill say that I knew it would be Joelle who would sacrifice herself, really no matter what the others thought it could be no other who could sacrifice themselves then the Chosen of Sune for love. It wouldn't have made sense.

That being said the fact that the guy ended up getting the girl where the girl interested in her ended up dead will likely bother some lesbians as literture over the years has often had the lesbian on the losing end of the stick when competing over the affections from a woman when the other person is a man.

Still Kendrick didn't exactly win, he just survived and Joelle will always be the one who died for Arretta so when her love for Keef grows cold because he farts to much in his sleep her love for Joelle will be eternal as only tradgic loves can be.

Is this a romance novel? Because if it is, I'm saving my time and money.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2014 :  21:02:34  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the novel a few minutes ago. I had also expected it to be thicker, and the ending felt a bit anti-climatic and rushed to me, but all in all it was a good read. For as complicated as the Sundering is, I think the last couple novels have been fairly simple, and I think the event could use more than six novels.

There were hints that Myth Drannor was under siege, which makes me anxious for the Herald. I know a lot of people weren't happy about the return of Myth Drannor, as if offered a great adventure sight, but I hoped this isn't another attempt at a retcon where they destroy Myth Drannor again.

I wish the book had gone a little more into the romance between Joelle and Arietta, but I guess that is still "forbidden territory", so I applaud Denning for putting it in there at all.

At first I thought the "wallbound" was a reflection of the Wall of the Faithless, but I later learned of course that it was due to Sadrach's anger. Still, since Gringrid or whatever her name was, was a follower of Myrkul, it made me wonder if there was some sort of parallel.

All in all, I liked it, though I had hoped for a little more complexity. A sequel would sure be nice! What happens to Malik now?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  04:24:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More abuse by Cyric, Malik's fate no matter what happens really.

And while Romance is an element in the story, its not a romance novel no, its still mostly fighting, magic,and wierd stuff like other FR novels. This isn't a bounice ripper.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  04:37:14  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and it seems clear that what they saw at the end of the Reaver was the burning rift in the sky that represents the Sundering of Abier and Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  16:42:27  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did you get "burning rift in the sky"? The Underchasm was filling up with dirt and spewing some into the air, due to the combination of Yder's spell and the release of energy from the Eye, but I don't see any mention of a rift in the sky.

@charger_ss24: there's zero romance in this novel. Some wistful googly-eyes happen in a weird triangle of attraction (or quadrangle, if you include Malik), but much of it involves magical charming and isn't real. And a lesbi-sex interlude happens totally off page; there wasn't enough there to really call it love IMO. (and @Gyor, I think you meant "bodice ripper").

@Irennan: I think you're referring to the blurb that caused many people to wonder if Kiaransalee would be involved (or the Raven Queen). But there's no goddess of death in this novel. There are a couple mentions of Myrkul, but he's not an active god in this novel and he doesn't have any representatives until the very very end - and it's a minor character. The big players here are Shar, Cyric, Luthic, Grumbar (earth primordial), Gruumsh, and Sune. Helm and Siamorphe are also involved, but to a lesser degree. Only Cyric makes an actual appearance, has dialogue, and throws in a new powerful magic item.

I'll say it again: the plot here was really, really weak. For no particular reason, Shar will win and rise to dominance over all the gods unless the stolen artifact is taken to a pretty randomly located temple - which didn't even seem to be an active center for Grumbar's worship. The shadowvar chasing them didn't really have any "punch" and even get replaced as the most serious threat later in the book. There weren't any real "stakes" here. Additionally, the whole "Sune's required sacrifice" didn't seem to fit Sune at all, and absolutely zero time was spent developing the lesbi-relationship anyway. For 90% of the book, the focus is on Joelle and Kleef - then very suddenly out of nowhere it's about the two women.

Then with the random elements, such as the goat, the wall-trapped, and the undying young priestess, the whole thing just fell flat for me. This was a novel where WotC required certain things to happen, and the narrative was entirely built on this laundry list IMO. The characters weren't interesting, they were just a backdrop for the laundry list. I'm sorry if people disagree, but this wasn't at all a compelling adventure story IMO. I found Arietta annoying the entire time, Joelle kept charming everyone magically in order to manipulate them, Malik was just awful and constantly irritating, and Kleef was just a plain boring fighter with a big weapon.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  16:57:57  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

The Underchasm was filling up with dirt and spewing some into the air, due to the combination of Yder's spell and the release of energy from the Eye, but I don't see any mention of a rift in the sky.

There it is. Someone got it. Underchasm = gone. I think out of all the geographical changes of 4E this was one of them that bothered me most.

So glad they fixed it! :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 06 Apr 2014 16:58:25
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  17:25:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Irennan: I think you're referring to the blurb that caused many people to wonder if Kiaransalee would be involved (or the Raven Queen). But there's no goddess of death in this novel. There are a couple mentions of Myrkul, but he's not an active god in this novel and he doesn't have any representatives until the very very end - and it's a minor character. The big players here are Shar, Cyric, Luthic, Grumbar (earth primordial), Gruumsh, and Sune. Helm and Siamorphe are also involved, but to a lesser degree. Only Cyric makes an actual appearance, has dialogue, and throws in a new powerful magic item.

Yes, I was referring to the blurb. Considering what you said, they should have changed it (or did they?), tho.

Thank you for the clarification.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2014 :  17:49:43  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:

The Underchasm was filling up with dirt and spewing some into the air, due to the combination of Yder's spell and the release of energy from the Eye, but I don't see any mention of a rift in the sky.

There it is. Someone got it. Underchasm = gone. I think out of all the geographical changes of 4E this was one of them that bothered me most.

So glad they fixed it! :)

I'm glad it's gone also. Odd thing, though: on maps, the Underchasm was HUGE. Like really immensely gigantic (like the size of Australia). But in the novel here, particularly with the weird bridge and minimal travel time, it seemed much smaller like a localized canyon.

Also - did I miss some kind of rift in the sky? I don't remember that at all, and briefly looked for it again this morning, but I couldn't find anything about a sky-rift.

@Irennan: I didn't see a blurb about a death goddess here. Then again, I only have the e-book version and there are differences sometimes from the paperback or hardback versions.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  05:35:33  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More abuse by Cyric, Malik's fate no matter what happens really.

And while Romance is an element in the story, its not a romance novel no, its still mostly fighting, magic,and wierd stuff like other FR novels. This isn't a bounice ripper.

Malik's treatment really makes me wonder how it's possible that Cyric has so many followers. I understand how lawful evil gods like Bane can have many followers, because they reward you according to your level of success.

Chaotic evil gods seem to keep their followers in a constant state of terror, never knowing whether to expect reward or punishment. I guess that adrenaline junkies and mentally unhinged people are their main followers.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2014 :  21:59:49  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder why Malik seemed to think he has failed in the end? To me it seems as if this time he really did it.

He murdered his most important target in the moment of her triumph, just like his main objective required. He didn't also score the bonus murders, but I think Cyric got most of what he wanted.
quote:

a ridiculous, annoying, obsequious and irritating character
And yet so effective. Who needs a mountains-to-dust-blasting archwizard as chosen when one like Malik in the end get's the jobs done (or at least comes as close as anyone else really)? Wisely chosen.

Also seems Mystra's curse of truth telling is gone from him. I wonder whether it wasy Mystra's "death" or his own death that removed it.
quote:

Wasn't Cyric imprisoned? How does an imprisoned deity have the ability to manifest so fully in the Realms? I suppose the answer is "because" or "Sundering" which is the SAME flaw for every lore/plot element introduced for 4E.
That also seemed strange to me. As I thought I understood is he was still able to grant spells and send visions, but the manifestation he did during his talk with Malik was more physical than I expected him to be able.

quote:

I'll say it again: the plot here was really, really weak. For no particular reason, Shar will win and rise to dominance over all the gods unless the stolen artifact is taken to a pretty randomly located temple
Indeed. Gruumbar is the sole reason the shadowfell and the material plane are apart? Really?

And he does this as a side effect of staying around only because he has the hots for Luthic?

I mean with the whole Helm-Tyr-Tymora thing there is Cyric's involvement to explain the ridiculous behaviour, but in this case it's lacking even that.

This novel should have a huge impact on the future of the orc pantheon. Luthic betraying Gruumsh? What will Baghtru do? IIRC he was always a mummy's darling so he may side with her against his father. That could tear the entire pantheon apart
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Malik's treatment really makes me wonder how it's possible that Cyric has so many followers. I understand how lawful evil gods like Bane can have many followers, because they reward you according to your level of success.
Well, by the random tantrums Bane threw in the Pools of [...] novels and randomly slaying his followers on Toril because he was in a bad mood, it seems he's not really better.

It seems to get the most out of your servitude to an evil deity is to be in the middle management. Powerful and successfull enough to gain some perks, but not too good to attract direct personal attention of your patron

Edited by - Mirtek on 07 Apr 2014 22:16:24
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  05:37:55  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just starting with the book, I found something that bugs me A LOT.
I know that its a fantasy setting and all that, knowing that doesn't make it better. The country Shou-Lung was based on China, where as Wa and Kozakura on different time periods of Japan. So a man from Shou-Lung would NOT be carrying a "Shou" katana, those come from Japan/Wa/Kozakura. I know it is such a minor thing but it always bugs me when people mix up such things. I mean there are a LOT of different swords that were used in China in a lot of different and interesting ways, why does it need to be a katana every time ANY asian or in this case asian-like culture is displayed in fiction?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  05:49:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

Just starting with the book, I found something that bugs me A LOT.
I know that its a fantasy setting and all that, knowing that doesn't make it better. The country Shou-Lung was based on China, where as Wa and Kozakura on different time periods of Japan. So a man from Shou-Lung would NOT be carrying a "Shou" katana, those come from Japan/Wa/Kozakura. I know it is such a minor thing but it always bugs me when people mix up such things. I mean there are a LOT of different swords that were used in China in a lot of different and interesting ways, why does it need to be a katana every time ANY asian or in this case asian-like culture is displayed in fiction?

"Based on" and "identical to" are not the same thing. Just because the sword was invented in one place in the real world doesn't mean that it couldn't have been invented elsewhere in a fantasy setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  06:41:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Ill give you what you want Dennis.

Prince Yder Tanthul is a prominent character in this book, and the Most High makes an appearance you will enjoy.

Ill confess I did not enjoy Malik as much this book as previous books. But he was still Malik.

I am dying to read the Herald.

I have 2 reviews due after reread this and Night of the Hunter
Thanks. No other princes with significant novel time? Not particularly fond of Yder.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  13:57:38  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yder reminded me of Darth Vader in Empire Strikes Back in this novel. "That's it! The Rebels are there!"
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  18:18:37  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

I wonder why Malik seemed to think he has failed in the end? To me it seems as if this time he really did it.

He murdered his most important target in the moment of her triumph, just like his main objective required. He didn't also score the bonus murders, but I think Cyric got most of what he wanted.

From Malik's point of view, he didn't complete all the murders required by Cyric. I think that's the main reason he felt he failed. The implication was that if Malik managed to murder everyone, then Cyric (somehow) would have triumphed in Shar's place. He didn't say how, but that's what I got from the Cyric-Malik interaction.

I mean, it was all just really blatantly obvious from the start that Malik would betray pretty much everyone. I think it could've been a lot better story-wise if Malik's motives had been less transparent. If the other characters had been more likeable, his constant grousing might've been played for a comical effect. But with Arietta being distant and haughty, Kleef being so very plain, and Joelle constantly charming people for "love" that was fake, they all just grated on my nerves.

quote:
And yet so effective. Who needs a mountains-to-dust-blasting archwizard as chosen when one like Malik in the end get's the jobs done (or at least comes as close as anyone else really)? Wisely chosen.

Absolutely very effective and wisely "Chosen" by Cyric.

I completely agree there. But still, Malik (and Cyric) are just not characters I enjoy. I really dislike them, and I don't want to read about them. I did because this was part of the Sundering, and I quite like stories involving Sune and Helm. But I'd never go out of my way to pick up a Cyric/Malik book.

quote:
Also seems Mystra's curse of truth telling is gone from him. I wonder whether it wasy Mystra's "death" or his own death that removed it.

I'd bet on it being more his own death and resurrection rather than anything involving Mystra. God-curses probably can outlast the deities that give them. It's not canon, but I'd point to the rebirthing/immortality of the original Amaunator's followers in the Baldur's Gate 2 game. They were still suffering for ages and ages after their patron deity's death. There are probably other examples, but atm I can't think of any.

quote:
That also seemed strange to me. As I thought I understood is he was still able to grant spells and send visions, but the manifestation he did during his talk with Malik was more physical than I expected him to be able.

Cyric's manifestation, particularly the granted magical weapon out of thin air, was way more physical than I'd have thought possible. I don't think we'll get a concrete answer on this, though, other than something about the Sundering (or maybe AO) broke his bonds.

quote:
Indeed. Gruumbar is the sole reason the shadowfell and the material plane are apart? Really?

And he does this as a side effect of staying around only because he has the hots for Luthic?

I mean with the whole Helm-Tyr-Tymora thing there is Cyric's involvement to explain the ridiculous behaviour, but in this case it's lacking even that.

If this plot point had been fleshed out in more detail, I probably would have enjoyed the book more. As it was, it creates a lot more questions that will be difficult to explain in a satisfying way.

Honestly, I wish Shar and the Netherese hadn't been involved at all. They just weren't used well. It would've been far more interesting to have a Chosen of Luthic involved and helping Joelle, and show different orc tribes working against each other. This book also could've better explored the angle of keeping the four "big" primordials on Toril.

quote:
This novel should have a huge impact on the future of the orc pantheon. Luthic betraying Gruumsh? What will Baghtru do? IIRC he was always a mummy's darling so he may side with her against his father. That could tear the entire pantheon apart

I agree. It really should have a huge impact on the Orc Pantheon. They could even use it to explain some of the civilizing activities of Many-Arrows and the social evolution of the northern orc tribes. I doubt that WotC will go in that direction, though. This just seemed rather random.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  02:01:07  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far I've read all of the Sundering novels. The Evans and Salvatore novels seemed far more fleshed out story wise. The others have this feeling of just filling in plot points in the overall Sundering story arc. Not that they were bad. But they all could have used more space and time to flesh out their stories....especially Kemp's novel.

This maybe why I enjoyed Night of the Hunter so much. It wasn't playing the role of filler.

But overall, I enjoyed the novel and am satisfied with how the "fixes" to the Realms.

Oh, can't remember who said that the Underchasm was as big as Australia. But that's a little off. Based on the maps I've seen, the Underchasm is a little under 1000 miles long and about 500 wide.

Edited by - Caolin on 13 Apr 2014 02:06:22
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  17:15:24  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Goodreads gives the novel 4.55 out of 5 a very good grade.

Not surprising. It's been my favorite of the Sundering series so far.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  15:49:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, the best Sundering novel IMO has been The Adversary followed by The Companions. The series falls very short behind them. I didn't have very high expectations for the series though. The blame doesn't lie with the authors but with Wizbro for butchering the setting. The authors are just doing what they are contracted to do and I think they're doing the best they can. The Sentinel wasn't all that bad though (and I don't mind the cheesy methods of resetting some aspects of Toril's landscape because, in the end, that's all that can be done to set things right).

The only character remotely interesting to me was Kleef. He had the most character development I think and was the most believable of them. I never cared for Malik and didn't care for him here either. Joelle was horrible. If she is what passes for a follower of the goddess of love then Sune needs to fall to Cyric (just my opinion). I did like that Joelle sacrificed herself for love in the end though...that redeemed her to some degree. Arietta was a little hard to pin down. She was interesting up to a point (standing her ground on what a noble 'should be' even in the face of great danger) but beyond that she was rather bland.

The lesbian relationship was too sudden to be credible IMO. If Arietta was self-aware enough to already know she had such feelings it would have been more palatable. But seemingly over night she 'discovered' her emotional/sexual urgings? Sorry just doesn't work for me. I'm not sure if the fault lies with the author in this regard (though it seems too) or with Wizbro (who may have wanted him to 'touch' on the subject).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  17:30:26  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I did like that Joelle sacrificed herself for love in the end though...
But she didn't. She was standing there content watching either Arietta or Kleef sacrifice her-/himself when she was suddenly backstabbed and killed by Malik.

OK, they somehow counted "not picking up her corpse before leaving" as a sacrifice, but that was nothing that Joelle, quite dead at this point, had any active part in anymore.

So Cyric got his sacrifice (the murder), Grumbar got his sacrifice (the leftover of Cyric's really, Grumbar seems to be easy to please) and Sune might have gotten hers (if you count the willingness of Kleef to die for love as already just as good has the actual act of dying for love), but neither was due to Joelle sacrificing herself
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  21:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the novel. The author's choice of deities did peak my interest, as Siamorphe, Sune, and Helm did figure into the entry for 1384 in GHotR. I wonder if we'll see any more lore tied to that? Overall I enjoyed the story, but the Chosen of Sune could have gone out more.... I don't know, smoothly? The way it happened just seemed kind of contrived.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000