Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 A decade.... wow, I feel old now.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  06:29:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I just realized that I've been here for ten years. Gah. February was when I signed up and that took place back in 2004...

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Apr 2014 06:30:08

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  06:48:04  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There should be a badge/medal/award/pin for that. But I guess you'll have to settle for being teased/idolized by a bunch of nerdy 'Keepers. Congrats!

All hail Kuje, king of the nerds!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  07:20:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope a Kangaroo finds you...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  07:30:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

There should be a badge/medal/award/pin for that. But I guess you'll have to settle for being teased/idolized by a bunch of nerdy 'Keepers. Congrats!

All hail Kuje, king of the nerds!

I know. My feeling is that we should get a badge or something. Geezers of Candlekeep. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  07:31:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Smirk. You and your plan over on FB...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  08:21:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Smirk. You and your plan over on FB...

I deny your insinuation Sir! Shall we fireball spells at fifty paces?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  11:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, I just realized that I've been here for ten years. Gah. February was when I signed up and that took place back in 2004...

I didn't realize you and I had started at the same time! I signed up here only a month after you... Though I think it was a couple months after that when I became active over here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  13:51:05  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since it appears everyone else forgot their manners [grin], I at least will wish you a happy birthday.....

Good Hunting.

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  15:10:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On that note, Kuje, I think you have an airtight excuse to act like a 10 yr old for the next year, until you're 11.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  17:10:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of us don't need an excuse.

My wife sometimes refers to me as her "10 year old husband".

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  18:07:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I didn't realize you and I had started at the same time! I signed up here only a month after you... Though I think it was a couple months after that when I became active over here.

Yea, I think we both drifted over here from the WOTC boards because of some actions that were taking place over there...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  18:08:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

Since it appears everyone else forgot their manners [grin], I at least will wish you a happy birthday.....

Good Hunting.

Grins. Thanks! Looks around for a cake.... or at least a cupcake! LOL.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  18:09:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

On that note, Kuje, I think you have an airtight excuse to act like a 10 yr old for the next year, until you're 11.

Thanks. Hmmm. So that means I get to release the gremlins and play with them? Sage will get annoyed...

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  18:19:02  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So does this mean that Kuje is officially now one of "The Old Ones"...?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  19:25:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yea, I think we both drifted over here from the WOTC boards because of some actions that were taking place over there...

I signed up here, first, but didn't do anything for at least a couple of months... What got my interest was the Edlore you were sharing on the WotC boards. I likely would have stayed active over there for a while longer, but the WizOs had other plans.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  20:18:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I signed up here, first, but didn't do anything for at least a couple of months... What got my interest was the Edlore you were sharing on the WotC boards. I likely would have stayed active over there for a while longer, but the WizOs had other plans.

Indeed, the great Novel Controversy. Laughs.

And @beast, Indeed it does... maybe... :)

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  21:38:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Happy tenth birthday, Kuje!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  23:35:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol Iā€˜m the ā€œyoungestā€œ (er, newest) member of Candlekeepā€˜s top 10. Assassinating your way through the ranks really pays off if youā€˜re persistent!

Alas, I have been holding back in recent months. My post count will soon overtake that of SiriusBlack, and that is something which gives me mixed feelings. The man knew his stuff and had a rapier wit. I know only trivial esoterica and have a wit which more closely resembles a bludgeon.

Congrats on surviving 10 years here, friend Kuje. You have appeased the great hamster, evaded Candlekeepā€˜s resident troll, outlived several D&D editions, and prevailed through several increasingly destructive RSEs ... yet still find time to speak well of the Realms.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  00:19:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Alas, I have been holding back in recent months. My post count will soon overtake that of SiriusBlack, and that is something which gives me mixed feelings. The man knew his stuff and had a rapier wit. I know only trivial esoterica and have a wit which more closely resembles a bludgeon.

Congrats on surviving 10 years here, friend Kuje. You have appeased the great hamster, evaded Candlekeepā€˜s resident troll, outlived several D&D editions, and prevailed through several increasingly destructive RSEs ... yet still find time to speak well of the Realms.

Thanks. I do miss Sirius. :( Him and I used to have some nice conversations. Rino as well, is another that knew her stuff.

Grins, thanks also Dennis. :)

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  01:14:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-She's doing good. She doesn't lurk here anymore- I've tried nudging her to just "hang out post" even if she doesn't really care about the 4e Forgotten Realms a few times in the past before I checked out for a while myself, but she wasn't really interested. A "it'll remind me of the good times that are gone and make me sad" kind of thing. But, since she doesn't, I feel a little more comfortable saying I'm planning on asking the question this summer. With my luck, she'll decide to randomly visit tomorrow and my gig will be up.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  04:05:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! You're all youngins' when compared to this grand old sage...

September 2002 is my join date at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  13:49:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow congrats Kuje!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  15:11:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined on the exact same date as Kuje too. Ten years. Wow.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  15:26:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks. I do miss Sirius. :( Him and I used to have some nice conversations. Rino as well, is another that knew her stuff.

Grins, thanks also Dennis. :)

Ah, my senile friend SB. I had a lot of fun with him, when he was active here. He's one of the people I most wish was still active here.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  15:29:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-She's doing good. She doesn't lurk here anymore- I've tried nudging her to just "hang out post" even if she doesn't really care about the 4e Forgotten Realms a few times in the past before I checked out for a while myself, but she wasn't really interested. A "it'll remind me of the good times that are gone and make me sad" kind of thing. But, since she doesn't, I feel a little more comfortable saying I'm planning on asking the question this summer. With my luck, she'll decide to randomly visit tomorrow and my gig will be up.

The Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  23:15:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, and here I am thinking back to remembering D&D on AOL and the realms-L list. I must admit though, I love Candlekeep way more. Its got a much better group of peeps and I love the active topics button.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  23:43:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I joined on the exact same date as Kuje too. Ten years. Wow.

-- George Krashos

Gratz to you as well then, George. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  23:44:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Lol, and here I am thinking back to remembering D&D on AOL and the realms-L list. I must admit though, I love Candlekeep way more. Its got a much better group of peeps and I love the active topics button.

Don't feel too bad. I said something to my friend the other day about Prodigy, the online service, and she thought I was talking about the band by the same name. Youngin's don't know what they missed out during the 80's and 90's. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2014 :  23:02:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I certainly donā€˜t miss AOL, WorldLink, Prodigy, and 56K modems, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  01:22:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I certainly donā€˜t miss AOL, WorldLink, Prodigy, and 56K modems, lol.

56k... lucky. I originally had to use a 12k. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  04:49:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an app for Android devices that does nothing but play the audio sequence of a dial-up modem doing its thing.

I had dial-up when I first ventured into these halls... I recall, in particular, how much of a pain it was getting thru all the active threads after the hurricanes of 2004 -- my connection was even slower than normal, and dropped so many times it wasn't funny. I got DSL shortly after that, and that was such a huge improvement...

My first computer came with a year's free AOL. I knew just enough about computers to know AOL wasn't all that, but hey, it was free for a year, so why not, right?

...Three weeks later I got a different ISP. Even for free, AOL wasn't worth the hassle.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000