Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Temple of Tempus
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  14:53:24  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all! Does anyone know, or is there a temple dedicated to Tempus in Myth Drannor? Looked over the Cormanthor source book but have not found anything. Only to the dwarven god Clanggeddin. Any info would help. Thanks!

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  15:06:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No reference in the Cormanthyr book, I think there is none. I'm not with Ruins fo Myth Drannor here, but I'm almost sure no modern temples or shrines were erected. There is an important temple of Lathander there, I think this was the church that influenced the place, besides the already present Shaundakul. The church of Tempus made itself present in another important ruin, Dragonspear Castle.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  15:58:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

No reference in the Cormanthyr book, I think there is none. I'm not with Ruins fo Myth Drannor here, but I'm almost sure no modern temples or shrines were erected. There is an important temple of Lathander there, I think this was the church that influenced the place, besides the already present Shaundakul. The church of Tempus made itself present in another important ruin, Dragonspear Castle.

The Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set placed Lathander's temple outside of the city, in its own nearby walled compound. The Last Mythal trilogy, however, destroyed a temple of Lathander within the city limits... It was likely sloppy research, but can be covered by explaining that the Dawnspire remains outside Myth Drannor and the one the fey'ri destroyed was a recently-constructed temple within the city.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  22:04:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Temples of Tempus must be built upon his version of consecrated ground, that is, upon sites where blood has been spilled in glorious battle. I suppose these wouldn‘t often be located on terrain governed by other deities (such as druid-infested forest settings, near pools and moonwells sacred to Eldath, near places like Candlekeep which are protected by Oghma/Deneir, etc) - unless of course the very purpose and presence of the Tempusian temple would declare a challenge to war with these peacenik deities.

Myth Drannor does have a history of being besieged by hordes of monsters, legions of fiends, and any number of elf-hating enemies. It seems to qualify. Depending on when such temples would have been built.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2014 :  08:29:42  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayrik where does it say Tempus' temples must be built on battlegrounds? Also his clergy are not supposed to harm followers of Earth (faiths and avatars?) I believe that book says this is because he likes opposition and respects Eldath's viewpoint. Although adherence to this might vary amongst the faithful.

I think (these are my own thoughts) a non evil god of war would presumably like opposition such as "peacetime" by his very nature enjoying conflict. What glory is there in harming peaceful people? That is victimisation not combat worthy of Tempus.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  04:07:26  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest missed campaign opportunity of all was the systematic reclamation of Myth Drannor. Given the titanic battle that happened there, I should think that at least a shrine should have been erected.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  04:15:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ummm just so that you know or just to remind people, that while Tempus is the god of war for the realms, he is not the only one who grants the war domain usage. Corellon does iirc( I dont use that 4e trash)

that stated mind you, I don't think Tempus's faithful would have made one in one of the battlefields used to reclaim Myth Drannor as I think one of them was an elven graveyard and thus holy ground to the elves.

but since the reclamation of Myth Drannor was 100 years ago in realmstime, a Chapel to the Lord of Battles might have popped up since then as there were also humans in that fight and well it never was said who they worshiped ....

It's your table, if you want one there or in one of the battlefields , then there is one there.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  11:51:17  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The closest Temple of Tempus to Cormanthor seems to be the Abbey of the Sword in Battledale according to this list of temples of Tempus (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/temples.htm)

Tempus

Battle Chapel (Highcastle)
Battlehall (Zhentil Keep)
Gloryhall (Halfhap)
Hall of Warriors (Luskan)
High House of Swords and Banners (Ormpetarr)
Spear Rock (Wyvernhunt)
Swordpoint Shrine (Essembra)
Swordspoint Hall (Berdusk)
The Abbey of the Sword (Battledale)
The Arms House (Calimport)
The Beacon of Battle (Calimport)
The Hand that Swings the Sword (Elturel)
The High Hall of Swords (Mulmaster)
The House of Glory (Tantras)
The House of Heroes (Waterdeep)
The House of Swords (Glister)
The House of the Helm (Voonlar)
The House of War (Raven's Bluff)
The Old Sharp Sword (Hill's Edge)
The Shine of Crossed Swords (Scardale)
The Shrine of Swords (Archenbridge)
The Table of the Sword (Daggerford)
The Towers of the Vengeful Hand (Eshpurta)
The Vault of Swords (Hillsfar)

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 02 Apr 2014 11:56:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  15:06:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I keep meaning to update that listing, since I've noted several new Tempus locales that have been mentioned in the Realmslore since that listing was first compiled.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  22:45:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MisterHedgy ...

A cursory skim through my lorebooks cannot find any reference to Tempus‘s temples being built exclusively on battlegrounds.

I know I‘ve read many references to this in my Realms-L archive. And it was once a dominant theme at our gaming table. But it doesn‘t seem to be written in canon (except perhaps in old FR novels I can‘t quite recall).

It seems I erred, sorry. Especially when post-3E canon (which grandly wimpifies all the non-Mystra/non-Shar deities) is considered. My bad.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000