Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Indy Gencon meetup?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  16:47:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Sorry to court controversy again but Bob Salvatore said that Wizards of the Coast aren't letting him attend Gen Con this year. They're not letting him go to any convention until Archmage is released.

Why is this a contractual matter? Are they worried he'll spoil his own book before it goes on sale? Why can't he go to sell Demon Wars stuff?

I should think that they can't prevent him -- or anyone else -- from attending. I would expect that it's actually a case of them not sending him on their dime. A lot of authors don't make enough to live solely off of their writing, so not having travel and rooms covered for a convention can be prohibitive.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about the situation to offer anything more than these generalities. I don't know the full details of the ban. I don't know the financial situation of any authors. And there are maybe three authors that I know enough about to know where they live.

This last fact isn't a reflection on anyone; it's just that for me, the hometown of an author is one of many details that are irrelevant to me as I read their material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  19:01:13  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Sorry to court controversy again but Bob Salvatore said that Wizards of the Coast aren't letting him attend Gen Con this year. They're not letting him go to any convention until Archmage is released.

Why is this a contractual matter? Are they worried he'll spoil his own book before it goes on sale? Why can't he go to sell Demon Wars stuff?

I should think that they can't prevent him -- or anyone else -- from attending. I would expect that it's actually a case of them not sending him on their dime. A lot of authors don't make enough to live solely off of their writing, so not having travel and rooms covered for a convention can be prohibitive.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about the situation to offer anything more than these generalities. I don't know the full details of the ban. I don't know the financial situation of any authors. And there are maybe three authors that I know enough about to know where they live.

This last fact isn't a reflection on anyone; it's just that for me, the hometown of an author is one of many details that are irrelevant to me as I read their material.

I'll admit to not knowing much more than Wooly on these matters, however, I'm inclined to believe that an author who has been as successful as RAS should be more than able to afford attending Gencon on his own dime.

To court even more controversy than hashimashadoo ;P, I can't help but wonder how much WotC's decision is affected by the Edverse. RAS has released books on a predictable schedule and Gencon has always been the same time every year, and I honestly can't see what could be so momentous about Archmage that'd suddenly change things.

Does WotC have the same sort of hold on Ed as it does on Bob?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  19:47:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hashi do you have a link?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  20:14:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried searching his facebook, and found this : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152962681029811&id=54142479810

I don't get it, does WotC really have the authority to dictate whether or not its employees can go to a convention? What the hell...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Apr 2015 20:16:07
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  20:32:46  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I tried searching his facebook, and found this : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152962681029811&id=54142479810

I don't get it, does WotC really have the authority to dictate whether or not its employees can go to a convention? What the hell...

I think it's as Wooly said, that it's more a matter of not sending him on their dime than forbidding him from going places.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  20:42:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought so too, but then I read this:

''I don't know where I'll be going - and asking ME to come here or there is useless - it's all up to Wizards of the Coast.''

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  21:44:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pretty sure that WotC does not have any authors on its payroll; they are all freelancers.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  22:41:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Pretty sure that WotC does not have any authors on its payroll; they are all freelancers.

I meant people employed by them in general, by any sort of contract, not only regular employees.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  23:52:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I meant people employed by them in general, by any sort of contract, not only regular employees.

I think it highly unlikely that there is any kind of enforceable contract that says "when we aren't paying you, you cannot go to this public event"

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:11:46  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe that as well, that's why I'm surprised to read that phrase from RAS.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:21:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My assumption is that WotC isn't paying him to be there, and that he's unwilling or unable to do it on his own dime.

This is all an assumption, based purely on the data in this discussion -- I'm at work, and the Facebook is blocked.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:40:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A lot of people have been asking, and now I have an answer (and it's one that surprised me, too, honestly):
I WILL NOT be going to GenCon this year.
As it stands right now, my next appearances will likely be September, after the release of "Archmage." I don't know where I'll be going - and asking ME to come here or there is useless - it's all up to Wizards of the Coast.
Bob
ps. If this changes, I'll post it here, but right now, it's pretty certain that I won't be there.
pps. Clan Battlehammer started Sunday and lost. Team was rusty and creaky and old...

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  19:38:55  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My assumption is that WotC isn't paying him to be there, and that he's unwilling or unable to do it on his own dime.

This is all an assumption, based purely on the data in this discussion -- I'm at work, and the Facebook is blocked.

That, and saying that it's all up to WotC spares him from having to explain why he's going to a certain place and not a certain other place. Some authors certainly travel on their own dimes to meet fans and talk, but most authors don't enjoy signings as far as I've heard.

Of course, Ed's the exception, but then again, he's an exception to many things. ;P
Go to Top of Page

lilibat
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  03:01:16  Show Profile  Visit lilibat's Homepage Send lilibat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So uh, kickstarter or go fund me to get Master Salvatore to Gencon? No idea if he'd even bite.

Yes planning to be there. Most likely cosplaying a Tiefling Warlock with my best friend coming as a Half Elf Bard, we may even have conscripted a full party as of tonight, (spouses & friends willing).

Gonna get awkward when we run into those Drow.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  20:56:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SteelGandalf

so, Ball & Biscuit Thursday night, maybe 7:00pm?

I am interested; but I want to see what all is happening before I commit either way.

I should be able to go. I'm penciling in stuff right now, but I'm trying to leave that slot open.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  23:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SteelGandalf

so, Ball & Biscuit Thursday night, maybe 7:00pm?

I am interested; but I want to see what all is happening before I commit either way.

I should be able to go. I'm penciling in stuff right now, but I'm trying to leave that slot open.

I should as well. Looking forward to it!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  12:50:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Penciling it in too. Hope to see you there!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  19:31:38  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just touching base here, and clarifying. We'll be down at the Ball & Biscuit tavern again on Thursday night, 6:30pm or so. We had a great turnout last year, great connecting with George Krashos, Eric Boyd, Steve Schend, Brian James, Brian Cortijo & more at the restaurant. Let's get the word out to our favorite Candlekeep contributors again, the address is below.

The Ball and Biscuit is less than 1 mile from the convention center, and has great reviews. I'll post my cell number up here closer to the con for coordination purposes, like last year. Sound good?

The Ball and Biscuit
331 Massachusetts Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Get Directions
Phone number (317) 636-0539
Business websiteballandbiscuit.com

"Say nice doggie, but keep looking for a rock..."
~Chiun

Edited by - SteelGandalf on 18 May 2015 20:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  20:15:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shall I make another Facebook Event for it?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  20:16:03  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, go for it

~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  20:27:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done! Facebook Event

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  20:31:41  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JOINED. Look forward to seeing you all there.

~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  22:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't do Facebook, but I should be able to get there if all goes well. Do you walk to the location, or drive? My fiancee might need the minivan, so I would be without transportation.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  00:34:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We walked there. From the Convention Centre and main cluster of hotels it was a 15-20 minute walk.

It had the added benefit of being on the same road as the English pub I went to on Saturday morning for the EPL season kick-off - so I knew the way!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

lilibat
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  04:39:28  Show Profile  Visit lilibat's Homepage Send lilibat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like my group may be going to the Thurs night thing. I may or may not be there as I was planning to arrive on Friday.
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2015 :  04:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be attending this year as well. I've got a table in the author's avenue for Snow by Night. The hall closes at 6 p.m. So I can make the Thursday night gathering. I'll absolutely be at the Candlekeep Scribes on Saturday.

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  19:37:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't be attending GenCon, so once again I will miss out on a lot of info. For those who do go, could you please post things you learned, or give links to youtube videos of the 2015 GenCon seminars, if available? I watched the ones where they discussed the Sundering.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000