Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  01:35:37  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Alas, that's an old joke amongst us dinosaurs, Kuje.

And I'd not rule it out from Ed, as just because the wind knocks them over doesn't make them small enough to cart inside into one's fireplace. Just knowing what November's like in Canada's enough to get most folk to rethink the strategy, though. Still, the Bearded One is made of sterner stuff than most mere mortals such as ourselves....

Steven
Who hopes everyone's backs are in good shape after putting the gardens to rest for the winter....

Living not that far from Canada I can firmly understand it. :) Rochester and Buffalo and the other areas around Canada here in NY always seems to get that bitter cold blowing across the wonderful Great Lakes. Sigh snow tonight is the forcast. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  04:26:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. kuje, I just e-talked to Ed, and he said: no snow yet, but bitter cold. He was out clearing brush down by the road, stripped to the waist, and looked up and saw a teenaged lass staring at him -- from the depths of her snorkel-hooded parka! Ah, Canada when the season turns . . .
In the words of Ed that follow, the Great Sage tries to help Verghityax:

Sigh. Here we run straight into NDAs, I’m afraid. Let me try to take your questions in order:
1. [NDA]
2. [NDA]
3. There’s NDA trouble here as well, but I can say this much about just one temple: the Rose Portal, the Baldurian house of Lathander the Morninglord, is a beautiful structure made of rose-red sandstone, cut and polished into a upsweeping-from-the-ground giant pair of humans hands, clasped together. Long, narrow stained glass (pink in hue, of course) windows are located between the fingers, and the entire structure has been coated in melted glass (sandstone being a notoriously soft, easily-weathered stone). Spells cast within the vaulted central sanctuary of this place cause ‘doors’ of red radiance to appear and drift about in the air, at various heights (these are illusions, ‘shadows’ of magical portals rather than real portals -- but when the clerical choir that dwells in the temple, and in tallhouses immediately around it, sing particular harmonies during hymns, some of these doors drift together, and a real portal appears; its destination is said to be any other consecrated altar of Lathander in Faerun that its user is familiar with [has previously visited]).
4. Certainly, for “a few.”
First, the street that runs along the inside of the city walls from the Stormkeep (the fortress at the westernmost end of the walls) to Black Dragon Gate is known as ‘The Run.’
The street that runs along the edge of the docks from the Seatower of Balduran (feature 6 on the Volo’s map) to The Water-Queen’s House (8) is ‘the Western Wet,’ and the street that runs along the docks from the two ‘keel-slips’ (boatbuilding drydocks) east of The Counting House (29) around the ship-basin and along the wharves as far as Waendel’s Wharf (the centermost protruding dock protruding from the east side of the harbor, that has three [and only three] ‘legs’) is ‘the Eastern Wet.’
The wharf to the south of Waendel’s (that has four ‘legs’) is Stormwynd Dock.
The wide, legless wharf north of Waendel’s is Athcaulyr’s Stand.
The small wharf between Hethkantle’s Jetty and the Seatower of Balduran is Glaezel’s Dock (it’s had several owners and different names in the past; Manthuran Glaezel is the very wealthy head of a prosperous, long-prominent Baldurian family that owns many city businesses and properties), and the street that runs roughly northwest from its ‘dry’ (land) end, right out to the city wall (parallel to, and immediately south of, Caundorl Street), is Black Eel Street.
The street that begins at Black Eel Street one block in from the Western Wet, and curves northeast near Krammoch Arkhstaff’s house (21) to pass along the front of The Lady’s Hall (7) and then in front of Black Dragon Gate (10) right to the city wall, and thereafter curve south along the wall to The Rose Portal (27), is Wendserpent Street.
Belltoll Street (9 on the Volo’s map) runs from The Wide (2) west to join another street just north of the home and office of the sage Ragefast (a fascinating fellow who tries to trace the whereabouts of magic items and dragon treasures, among other things; this building is map feature 22). The street that Belltoll joins, that curves east from that moot to end at its moot with Wendserpent, and west from that moot to the Stormkeep, is Sornbanner Street.
Another street, Long Lane, can be found by tracing the way that passes the walls of the Blushing Mermaid (map feature 19) and Manycoins House (20) to curve to the eastern city gate. The northern end of Long Lane is a small triangular open plaza (often crowded with wagons loading and unloading crates, coffers, and barrels destined for, or fresh come from, city shops). This open space is called ‘the Thulgrave,’ because the tall, narrow fountain at its heart (a pillar of stone carved into the likeness of a waterspout, with the hands of Talos and of Umberlee rising out of fierce waves around its base to direct the waterspout higher; its water falls back down into the waves and drains away through holes bored at their lowest points) is Thulgrave’s Fountain. Ilgrar Thulgrave was a wealthy merchant fleet shipowner (and yes, he’s buried in the base of the fountain, so it’s literally ‘the Thulgrave’). It should be noted that “plaza” is a word unknown in the Realms. In Baldur’s Gate, such an open space is called a ‘strake.’
Immediately east of Long Lane, paralleling it on its path from the city gate to the Thulgrave (and running right past the doors of map feature 5, the Elfsong Tavern), is Lorammor Street. Many small shops line Lorammor (sometimes three establishments to a building, in cellar, on street level, and in the upper level).
The street that passes Manycoins House (20) on its west side, and curves around to the southernmost city gate, is Nuthkhal’s Way.
The street that encircles The Wide (2), running from The Counting House (29) north past the doors of Flamesinger House (23), and then south again to pass the doors of The Rose Portal (27), is Manyspears Lane. Its run is dominated by three- and four-story tallhouses that have been divided into many small apartments; many Baldurian shopkeepers, crafters, and shop assistants dwell along Manyspears.
Lastly, three moots (street intersections) have names that visitors to Baldur’s Gate would do well to know, because locals use them as everyday landmarks (e.g. “He dwells seaward of Three Spires”). They are: Three Spires, Fox Bottom, and Lionsmoot.
Three Spires, named for the spired towers of three ornate private mansions that tower above the moot, is the six-way intersection just west of map feature 21 (Krammoch Arkhstaff’s house). On the Volo’s map, it’s directly above the numeral “2” of the “21.” The north-south street that passes between the “2” and the “1” is Hauth Lane, and the other two streets involved in the moot are Wendserpent Street and Blackraven Lane (Arkhstaff’s house actually fronts on Blackraven, and it runs west through the moot to end in a moot with Chalsendace Street, a curving street lined with the mansions of the wealthy, that runs from the city wall to end in a moot with Stormcanter Street.
Years ago, Fox Bottom was a wooded hollow where a vixen denned under rocks and bore brood after brood of hungry foxes. Now it’s the closest thing Baldur’s Gate has to a slum: a moot surrounded by crowded, run-down rooming-houses where rats scurry, washing hangs on high everywhere, and beggars and maimed old sailors are watched warily by well-armed patrols. Fox Bottom can be found a mere two blocks south of Manycoins House (20), where Long Lane crosses Hulkael Street. Hulkael begins in the Lathdell (the small open strake where the Shrine of the Suffering, Volo’s map feature 26, stands), and winds south through Murl’s Rest (the strake where Sorcerous Sundries, map feature 14, stands) to pass along the east side of The Blade and Stars inn (map feature 18), before hooking around west and northwest to the docks.
Lionsmoot is just southeast of Stormkeep. From the fortress, one takes Stormshore Street (feature 11 on the Volo’s map, and yes, it runs clear across the city, not far north of the docks, through where the numeral “11” appears on that map, and beyond) to the end of Stormcanter Street. That threeway moot, where Stormcanter begins its run across the city, is named for The House of the Lion, a luxurious festhall that stands in its eastern angle. For some years, it’s been the habit of young ‘blades’ (men of youth, style, and coin) and ‘lacethroats’ (daring young women of style and coin enough to dress fashionably) of the city to gather on pleasant evenings to duel, gamble, flirt to choose bedpartners for the night, and parade their fashions and attitudes. When things grow too rowdy, the ‘waycudgels’ (bouncers) of the brothel go out and drive many of the couples indoors to the Lion to continue their revelry, scattering the rest to continue their fun elsewhere.
Pronunciations: “WAYNe-del” and “Ath-call-EER’s” and “THULL-gray-ve” and “Lore-AM-more” and “NUTH-call’s” and “Chall-SEN-dace” and “Hull-KALE”
5. [NDA]

So saith Ed. Well, at least you’ve got about a third of the Baldurian streets named, now! Sorry about the unanswered questions, Verghityax, but at least Ed’s NDA notations tell you he’s involved in some way with something to do with Baldur’s Gate that’s not yet appeared. I’m guessing a licensed product (Atari computer game?), but that’s just a guess -- Ed has told me absolutely NOTHING about this.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  05:05:31  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all. kuje, I just e-talked to Ed, and he said: no snow yet, but bitter cold. He was out clearing brush down by the road, stripped to the waist, and looked up and saw a teenaged lass staring at him -- from the depths of her snorkel-hooded parka! Ah, Canada when the season turns . . .

He can have some our snow if he truly wants it. :) Grumble sometimes the Great Lakes can be real pains in places better left unmentioned.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  06:55:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

*snickers* We get the same thing down here in Florida, whenever the temperature drops below 60°! The natives start bundling up, shivering and complaining about the cold, while transplants such as myself are still in short sleeves and loving it! I laugh at this every winter.(1)

Footnote: (1) Winter on the Space Coast consists of 3 non-contiguous weeks of chilly (sometimes even cold) weather.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  13:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Alas, that's an old joke amongst us dinosaurs, Kuje.

And I'd not rule it out from Ed, as just because the wind knocks them over doesn't make them small enough to cart inside into one's fireplace. Just knowing what November's like in Canada's enough to get most folk to rethink the strategy, though. Still, the Bearded One is made of sterner stuff than most mere mortals such as ourselves....

Steven
Who hopes everyone's backs are in good shape after putting the gardens to rest for the winter....

Living not that far from Canada I can firmly understand it. :) Rochester and Buffalo and the other areas around Canada here in NY always seems to get that bitter cold blowing across the wonderful Great Lakes. Sigh snow tonight is the forcast. :)

Try living amidst the entirety of the Great Lakes. Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are not forgiving come November. Speaking of which, I'd best be chopping down some trees soon for my own firewood this winter lest I be the one freezing like poor Kuje31.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  13:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Reading about the streets of Baulder's Gate has gotten me thinking about the old Waterdeep ghost stories. Add this to the chilling weather, the recent Halloween, and the raking of many leaves, and I am suddenly wondering about ghost stories of Tantras! I might have asked this before, though. Are there just too many priests in Tantras to really have ghosts? If so, then what about ghosts of Caluant, or even the Vast in general?

My humble thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  18:19:22  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I am not sure if you can answer this but. A few people were discussing Larloch over on the WOTC boards and it's now turned into a shouting match of "Well the PC's are special and they should be able to kill him!" Vs. "Larloch is just one of the many things in FR that you just don't go against."

So my question, based on the info you sent many years ago that can be found here on Candlekeep and also on the Pages of the Sages web site, is what would you say to those who think that because Larloch is just an evil lich that he needs to be killed since he also has undead servents/slaves? Is his home really a dungeon crawl as some of them seem to think? Or is he truly just something you don't mess with because he WILL hand a PC group of adventurers thier nether regions if they try to attack and invade his home.

This goes back to the "if it has stat's it needs to die" syndrome. And since TSR and WOTC stat'd him they meant for PC's to invade his home to try to kill him. Same deal with anyhing else that was stat'd and evil or if you are playing a good party then anything that is good aligned and stat'd.

If you could supply any words on his defenses, magic items, spells, etc, they would be nice to know. Also we know he is stat'd in Lords of Darkness and Volo's Guide but some of the posters were looking for more info on him.

Also for the board members: I'm trying to recall a passage of text that stated if the PC's got higher levels then you would up the NPC's levels to match.... I believe it talked about the Chosen of Mystra as an example...

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Nov 2004 18:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3294 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  19:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
FR0D p. 17? The Realms has always worked on the principle that NPCs can do whatever the DM needs them to do, not what the books say, this being a storytelling game rather than a referencing game.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  20:35:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi Ed,

I am not sure if you can answer this but. A few people were discussing Larloch over on the WOTC boards and it's now turned into a shouting match of "Well the PC's are special and they should be able to kill him!" Vs. "Larloch is just one of the many things in FR that you just don't go against."

A shouting match over there? Get out! That kinda thing never happened when I was allowed on those boards...

quote:

Also for the board members: I'm trying to recall a passage of text that stated if the PC's got higher levels then you would up the NPC's levels to match.... I believe it talked about the Chosen of Mystra as an example...

I seem to recall reading something along those lines in FR1, myself, but I'd have to check when I wasn't getting ready to run out the door to go to work. It said something like "keep the NPCs 10 levels ahead of the PCs", or something like that.

Larloch is nearly a force of nature... I can't think of any grouping of forces that would provide for an even fight against him and his allies... Someone that scares Szass Tam is not someone I'd care to tango with.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  21:18:35  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

FR0D p. 17? The Realms has always worked on the principle that NPCs can do whatever the DM needs them to do, not what the books say, this being a storytelling game rather than a referencing game.

Thanks Faraer and Wooly. :) Found the two passages I was thinking of now.

And yeah Wooly it's not like that EVER happens over there.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  22:15:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed makes another reply:

Torkwaret, Steven’s already dealt admirably with your first question; of COURSE you can still have baneliches around if you’d like to use them in your campaign.

Here are some banelich names from my notes: Clarth Hornhaeld, Khorvan Jaeleth, Harlrhys Moksoun, Haursar Rhallowglas, and Laumbur Yuthlekh.

As for burnbones, to quote the rules: “The early days of the Banedeath did not go well for Cyric, the (then) new god of the dead, and many of his fledgling clerics were slaughtered at the hands of powerful Banites. Cyric soon after empowered select members of his clerical faithful with a portion of his power -- so much power, in fact, that these clerics’ mortal forms dissolved into nothing more than mere bones and the fiery power of the Dark Sun. These new undead, burnbones, are similar to the blazing bones found in the ruins of Myth Drannor in appearance, but that is where the similarity ends. Burnbones tend to wear the symbol of Cyric on themselves (as a holy symbol, for instance) as a sign of their devotion.”

In other words, they’re paranoid, fanatical worshippers of Cyric who appear as walking skeletons sheathed in everburning flames. They do fiery damage by their touch, and heat damage to all creatures within ten feet (the flames never consume their bones, and they’re a lot more powerful than skeletons). They retain the spellcasting abilities (but no actual casting needed; they just point a finger and the spell issues forth) they had in life (as priests of Cyric of 12th or greater level). Cast spells return in 24 hours, spells can’t be interrupted, and they can cast a spell with one hand and attack with the other in any given round. Curing spells harm them. Burnbones are detailed in the 2nd Edition D&D Realms boxed set TSR1120 Ruins of Zhentil Keep (the cover of the box shows three adventurers confronting a burnbones).

Cyric controls them personally if he desires, so there’s no need to hunt down these rules; make their specifics whatever you want them to be, and blame the result on Cyric’s presence.

So saith Ed. We Knights never faced a burnbones, but we did tangle with more than one blazing bones. Not nice creatures. REALLY not nice creatures.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Learned Scribe

Poland
81 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  23:33:02  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
Thank you o wizened sage Ed and you o fair Lady Hooded One for this very helpful answer !

Yet I have one more very short question - Dear Ed do you know of any demon lords connected with the Demonlands and Impiltur ??

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Learned Scribe

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  07:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage  Send Karth an AOL message Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
Ed sez... I still rock, eh? Good to know. :}

Hey man: I'm here to help... ;)
quote:
Seriously, you’re welcome. I love doing this, as you might well have guessed by now. As for the street keys, some I can share, some I can’t (I shared the key to Marsember here already, for example

For which: many thanks. I am making good use of it now in service to a group of players, @1367 DR, on a Vangy-sanctioned hunt for a drug-dealing Maskaran priest, who is also a field agent of the Arcane, out of Luskan. It promises to be a rather colorful wade through the slime, no small thanks to you and yours... ;)
quote:
Enough so a DM can ‘wing it’ if players send their characters into a city.

Exactamundo, as a wise and just man once said. That is precisely what is needed. It is a shame that stat blocks are more prevalent than solid Realmslore, of late, in Wizards products.

Yes, I know all the well-framed 'commerce' arguments. Just affably bitching up the chain of command, as it were. I am heartily glad that we have your kind and generous aid here, to offset what is NOT getting officially published. You are a treasure, Ed. Thanks...
quote:
However, it looks like it’s going to take me years to nail down such coverage in print. So I’m glad you’re a patient waiter. :}
“Patient waiter, I’ll have what the gentleman over there is having . . . elf maiden covered in fresh cream, isn’t it?”

You're a man of simple but admirable pleasures, sir...

I will indeed wait patiently. If you require a suggestion to get things a-rolling: Loudwater. Yes, I have the Volo's guide and other existing canon stuff, so we can assume that. Thing is: it's amazing how often my players end up there, in ones and twos. I'd love to read what you have on it. In addition to streets and the other basic 'wing it' stuff: what do you see as the timeline of Zhent infiltration there through the 1360's and 70's and what are the Harpers, Lords Alliance, locals and foreign 'grey societies' (like the Shadow Thieves or Kraken Soc.) doing to oppose or help them?

Hooded One: *tugs leash firmly* I am not so bold as to suggest I can accomodate your imaginary two hours, as such. However, non-stop serial events over that time-frame can be arranged, if you think you can remain conscious that long...

Ah, but you seem to be acquiring a new line of admirers far beyond the scope of poor Wooly, Sirius and myself. I wouldn't want to unduly distract you from your burgeoning legend-in-the-making...

Thanks as always, dear lady.

Cheers,

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  09:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Shall the hallowed halls of Candlekeep be reduced to naught more than a festhall?

[::sigh::] This modern generation has no respect for simple dignities.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  14:42:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem, Bookwyrm, what is this talk of brothXXX festhalls? I accept no coin, and thus . . . well, anyway . . .
Karth, I believe Loudwater is under heavy NDA protection at the present time because of the RPGA (Green Regent). Are there any scribes reading this who can enlighten me on this, one way or the other? I’m not a member and never have been, but Ed’s a Charter Lifetime member, and although he regards Ian Richards (current RPGA head) as a friend, I also know he’s out of touch with the current RPGA program.
Me, I miss his diabolical chuckles as he penned yet another silly cert that he knew would drive HQ nuts (“A cert that forces Azoun to trade his armor and swords for yours on sight, because you hold the Ancient Acorn of Thargoth? What the @#$#%^^$&! was Ed DRINKING?”). :}
Ah, those were the days.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  15:06:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. This just in! I bring a reply from Ed to kuje regarding Larloch:

It’s certainly true that the 3e philosophy is that PCs can do (or at least attempt) everything. However, this reminds me of the old “I killed the god!” and “Our party wiped out the dragon in two rounds, no problem!” 1st edition arguments. Plus ca change . . .
Hunting Larloch could make the basis for a fascinating high-level campaign, but the DM must run it as if Larloch is amused by the PC attempts, and thus doesn’t swat them (much) the moment they begin trying, or it’ll be a very SHORT campaign (“You attack Larloch? Okay. WHAM. Right, everyone roll up new characters . . .”).
In the same way as too many PC dragonslayings depend upon the dragon being played as a dumb brute, it’s highly unlikely that any PC party will have the sheer power to take down Larloch - - and in any war of attrition against his many, many liches and modified powerful undead minions (forty blazing bones over here, a demi-lich over there, various hulking gigantic undead concoted of many battle dead yonder,deceptions galore ("That wasn't Larloch, that was your KING enspelled to look like Larloch! NOW you're in trouble!"), traps that release disease, poisoned this, poisoned that [like, ahem, the PCs’ drinking water] etc. etc.), a party of PCs would have to be stupid indeed not to figure out that destroying Larloch just isn’t worth the effort.
Like most gods in most situations, Larloch doesn’t NEED to stand and fight when it’s not to his advantage. Like gods, he doesn’t need to sleep, and most PCs do. So he’ll just have his minions harry them until they're stumbling-exhausted, and then throw MORE minions at them. Larloch isn’t insane or stupid enough to need to show up in person to gloat; subtly controlling things from afar is what he DOES, and enjoys. So PCs can expect to find themselves attacked by civil authorities in whatever realm they’re in, and then brigands, and then a few guilds, never being allowed to sleep without yet another undead attack - - and even zombies and skeletons can wear you down when they come in waves, dozens daily, for day after night after month.
And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar.
Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” :}

So saith Ed. I take the view that if a DM tells you that a city your PCs are visiting is surrounded by a ring of hills, it requires a lot of PC insanity to try to destroy the hills “just because they’re there.” Consider Larloch a hill, part of the furniture of the Realms Ed has presented to you, not a target. Sounds like the very worst sort of power-gaming to me, and although we all need an outlet to just SMASH something once in a while, I’d hesitate to call this approach “roleplaying.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  16:26:29  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Thanks Ed. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  16:25:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Dargoth, some months ago (on Page 44 of this thread) you asked about the locations of some artifacts in the Realms.
I’ve found my old notes, and can enlighten you somewhat (I doubt Ed will, because he wants such things to either be widely-known “temple treasures” or surprises for a PC party):

In the city of Waterdeep, there’s a deck of many things hidden behind a loose stone somewhere in the older, deeper chambers of Castle Waterdeep (don’t ask how we found THIS out).

There’s a Staff of the Magi ‘hidden’ as one of the four posts of a canopied four-poster bed in Alustriel’s guest bedchamber in her palace in Silverymoon. There’s another Staff of the Magi somewhere on a rooftop in Suzail (dropped there during an aerial night battle above the central streets south of the Promenade). And somewhere in the Ghost Holds, on the finger of an undead skeleton that can’t operate it, there’s a ring (finger-ring) that can make the user blink and emit a flame blade, and summon (teleport) yet another Staff of the Magi from an unknown elsewhere to the ring-wearer’s hand.

I know this was a long time coming, but I hope it’s of help.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29906 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  16:47:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

In the city of Waterdeep, there’s a deck of many things hidden behind a loose stone somewhere in the older, deeper chambers of Castle Waterdeep (don’t ask how we found THIS out).

And what card did your character draw, dear Lady Hooded One?

Go to Top of Page

lordhobie
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  22:16:32  Show Profile  Visit lordhobie's Homepage  Send lordhobie an AOL message  Send lordhobie a Yahoo! Message Send lordhobie a Private Message
Ed,

Well met - a quick question regarding characters you create for tournament modules and so forth (e.g., Ravvas, Autamma, Rindal, et al., from "Into the Forgotten Realms" in Dragon #95):

Do you create these characters 'from whole cloth,' as it were, or are they figures from the campaign in a larger sense; i.e., do these characters, or their heirs, influence the Realms in the 'modern day?'

Thanks to Ed and THO!
Lord Hobie
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  23:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Dargoth, some months ago (on Page 44 of this thread) you asked about the locations of some artifacts in the Realms.
I’ve found my old notes, and can enlighten you somewhat (I doubt Ed will, because he wants such things to either be widely-known “temple treasures” or surprises for a PC party):

There’s a Staff of the Magi ‘hidden’ as one of the four posts of a canopied four-poster bed in Alustriel’s guest bedchamber in her palace in Silverymoon. There’s another Staff of the Magi somewhere on a rooftop in Suzail (dropped there during an aerial night battle above the central streets south of the Promenade). And somewhere in the Ghost Holds, on the finger of an undead skeleton that can’t operate it, there’s a ring (finger-ring) that can make the user blink and emit a flame blade, and summon (teleport) yet another Staff of the Magi from an unknown elsewhere to the ring-wearer’s hand.

I know this was a long time coming, but I hope it’s of help.
THO

Ah thanks Hooded one

*chuckle*

I think there may even be a couple of questions even older than that one I remember asking Ed a question back in April/May about various FR religions views on different social issues (I recall it was one of my more large requests so he may not have had the time to answer it yet)

Now if we could only clone Ed 6 or 7 times!

Anyone know any Kaminoans?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Blind Ranger
Seeker

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  23:26:45  Show Profile  Visit The Blind Ranger's Homepage  Send The Blind Ranger an AOL message Send The Blind Ranger a Private Message
Hmm, that's interesting, Dargoth, then we'd have thousands upon thousands of Stormtroopers spinning volumes of Realmslore!

I wonder what the Emperor would think?

Ever grinning,
The Blind Ranger

I see what I need when my sight is not enough.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  23:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Blind Ranger

Hmm, that's interesting, Dargoth, then we'd have thousands upon thousands of Stormtroopers spinning volumes of Realmslore!

I wonder what the Emperor would think?

Ever grinning,
The Blind Ranger

Dont you mean thousands upon thousands of Manshoons

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  20:35:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed doth make reply to lordhobie:

Hi. Over the years (and various game editions), I’ve created bands of tournament PCs from whole cloth, originally to tailor their levels to the adventure challenges, and thereafter because many players return to GenCon after GenCon (to give just one example) to play in my events year after year, and like to ‘pick up’ their favourite characters. Many, many people have played the parts of members of the Baron’s Blades band (personal bodyguard of Baron Uldonner Erendin, the Baron of Hawkhill in northeasternmost, mountainous rural Amn [no, you won’t find Hawkhill on any Realms map) more than once, unfolding such puzzles as “Spellstorm” and “Lord Ravelstan’s Left Nostril.”
As they clearly enjoy running ‘the next episode’ in the exploits of these characters, I’ve been careful to stick to characters I use just for tournament play, so as to keep them ‘unencumbered.’

So saith Ed. Ah, yes, the gruff, lecherous old Baron (all bluster and walrus moustache and great big goblets of highly-fortified wine) and his frighteningly beautiful, and even more frighteningly capable, daughter . . .
Now, THEY should be in a television series. Move over, Addams Family.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  14:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I have a question for the Hooded Lady. No, not about leashes. :}
How does Ed Greenwood choose what projects to write? And who decides the plot of one of his novels?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000