Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  15:56:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, Whisper was very much our nemesis (somewhat in the manner in which Arbane pestered the Company of Crazed Venturers). I hesitate to say more because of Ed’s forthcoming Knights trilogy, which can hardly avoid saying SOMEthing about our battles with Whisper.
your just-dropping-by-for-a-moment
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  02:57:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Baalster, I too would like to see more about Melvaunt and Thentia, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or both of them eventually appear in Ed’s forthcoming series of DRAGON articles (now that Erik Mona’s let the cat out of the bag, these can be talked about). VEDSICA, I’m afraid it’s too early for Ed to reveal any roster of which cities will be covered. He did say this much:

I won’t be covering Waterdeep (though some supportive detail for the City of Splendors may well creep into a Realmslore WotC website article or two), and NDAs and other complications will probably keep me away from Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter, and other licensed-out settings.
I’d like to spotlight some strategically-located cities that HAVEN’T received ‘proper’ or recent coverage as yet, and more than anything else I’d like to hand a DM “look and feel” details, from local cuisine notes to handy inns and taverns, so when players take their characters to a place that’s thus far little more than a name on a map, the DM will end up with enough to ‘wing it’ for a night or two of play, and enough ‘feel for the city’ to develop said place if the players decide to settle down there for a month or a season.

So saith Ed, who also hinted that he intends to work with the Books people at WotC to make sure the ongoing column dovetails with future Realms authors’ needs for city details.
Dargoth, Ed would be happy to do a Silver Marches update with Bob, but that’s the sort of thing that’s VERY hard to make happen (being as it involves two very busy creators, the WotC Books people, the WotC games people, and either DRAGON or WotC’s Online Media department). Think of it as trying to make five different countries agree on something and then hammer out a detailed agreement: it CAN happen, but it’s likely to take a long time and be “back burnered” more than once.
As for Blueblade: Ed confirms that he will be covering at least one place extensively in his 2005 Realmslore columns (devoting 8 or 9 columns to it, if present plans persist). However, he won’t (of course) say anything at all about where or what that place is, other than to say that of course it won’t overlap at all with his DRAGON cities offerings.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  03:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message

Just out of interest what level are the Knights of Myth Drannor in Eds campaign?

Id imagine you the party would have to be at least 20th level by now (unless Ed likes to use lots of Wraith, Spectre and Vampire encounters to keep the levels down)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  22:04:45  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
Thanks for the answer THO.I kind of figured that he wouldn't do Waterdeep.But I do love the concept that he mentioned he will be taking.Enough info to give a DM a chance to "wing it",or get a feel for a city.That's pretty cool,and I hope that there are some good maps as well.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  01:51:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed makes reply to Borch:

I’m sorry, but your specific Baldur’s Gate requests are ALL aimed “right at” current NDA prohibitions - - as I warned Verghityax about, some pages ago in this thread. So I’m afraid I can’t provide answers to any of them at the present time.

You also asked me this: “When answering these requests, just how much of the answers come from memories. If an answer can't be given in this way, what do you do? Do you literally plunge into your cellar-full-of-Reamslore and search until you find wha is needed or do you make it up most of the time?”

Well, it’s like this . . .
Realmslore queries from various TSR, WotC, freelance creators working in the Realms, and outside license sources over the years have covered an astonishing amount of ground (in plain language: all sorts of weird topics), and my various Realms campaigns (the ‘home’ one and the library mini-campaigns) have delved even deeper, and for far longer. Then there’s my pre-D&D Realms fiction creations and worldbuilding, and my post-TSR-purchase “behind the scenes” fun with fellow Realms aficionados such as Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Grant Christie, Tom Costa, and others. All of these have trained me to ‘think Realms,’ so I have a general idea in my head of what all of the parts of the Realms *I* put there ‘work.’ In other words, the general nature and look and feel of, say, Secomber or Daerlun. If I plunged into my cellar of Realmslore often, I’d disappear for months on end and be of little use to anyone. Moreover, the published Realms has diverged increasingly from my original over the years. These two factors combined compel me to usually just make things up.
That’s my job and calling in life, it seems - - whether the question is coming from a WotC editor or game designer, or a scribe of Candlekeep or one of my players, I’m the guy who best “knows the Realms” and so CAN “just make things up” and have them fit (or at least feel right, so the experts can stitch and patch and explain everything into place, later). There are exceptions, of course: for an Impiltur question, I’d turn to George Krashos, for Cormyr I increasingly consult Garen Thal, Eric Boyd is my sounding-board and backup for many topics, and so on.
There are also practical limitations to what I can answer here at Candlekeep. Requests for ‘nigh everything about’ a priesthood or race or kingdom are too broad for me to give quick answers, and are more likely to offend against NDAs and what I know of still-secret projects being cooked up for the Realms. Moreover, they’re more suited to answering in Realmslore or DRAGON columns. I’m much happier when The Hooded One hands me small-focus queries. Gray Richardson’s request for orc information, for instance: great questions, should have been dealt with in official Realmslore long ago, and might do just fine for the Candlekeep newsletter if I get WotC permission to participate. Otherwise, a monstrously large topic to try to tackle in short e-mails to Our Lady Hooded (fetching as she is). To do it justice could almost fill this thread for most of 2005 (okay, half the year if I leave out the orc gods and all matters religious).
So, yes, when THO relays a scribe’s question about lore of a dale or oaths, I sit down and make a lot of stuff up. That’s what this hobby (and the Realms) is about, in my view. As long as I can afford (and to the extent that I’m legally able) to go on doing this, I will. So keep ’em coming!

So saith Ed. As I said in an earlier post, I suspect his Baldur’s Gate silence has something to do with current work by Atari, although Ed of course will provide no confirmation of this.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  02:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Does Ed keep some kind of concordance of all the replies he makes? It has to be difficult keeping all this stuff straight!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  02:58:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Does Ed keep some kind of concordance of all the replies he makes? It has to be difficult keeping all this stuff straight!

Grin I hope so, since I had a few questions from a few months ago that didn't get answered. Also there is no rush to do so, Ed, I was just saying. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Dec 2004 03:01:31
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  14:56:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Worry not, all. As much as time constraints, NDAs, and keeping out of the way of other forthcoming Realms publications that aren't exactly NDA-ed but that he "unofficially" knows about, Ed intends to answer ALL queries put to him here.
It may take months for a specific request to be dealt with, and many will have to 'carry over' from this thread to Alaundo's new 2005 Ed Questions thread, but we WILL get to everything.
As for Ed's concordance: it's called his brain, "such as it is" (his words, not mine).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  15:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Well, his "such as it is" brain still puts mine to shame. I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night!

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  15:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yeah, Alaundo did mention closing off this thread to start a new one for the New Year, didn’t he?
I’d just like to seize the moment here to thank THO and Ed for this GREAT, wonderful, superb, etc. thread!!!!
It’s been like having a magic Realms sourcebook that I can open and get Ed’s specific replies. Beats WotC Customer Service all hollow.
Seriously, this has been pure gold. And largely free of flaming and snippy-ness, but tinged with THO’s erotic teasing. Yumm.
Color me happy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  17:31:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I have another question, brought on by a comment The Hooded Flirt () made in another thread...

She was describing how, because of the death of Syluné, magic in Shadowdale doesn't always function properly. Since Elminster and Storm both live in Shadowdale and don't seem to have a problem with this, it makes me wonder... How do the Chosen of Mystra function in dead or wild magic areas?

On a similar note, what about users of wild magic? Wild mages were a fun concept from the 2E Tome of Magic, and I believe they've returned in the new Complete Arcane. How do you feel about wild mages, and how would Mystra feel about such casters, who deliberately play fast and loose with the Weave?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Dec 2004 17:36:18
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  19:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
Karth, I’m happy to try answering your cartographers question by my lonesome (and ahhh, I get lonesome . . . about every hour or so, in fact . . . ). I don’t have the lore in my head that Ed does, of course, but from my Knightly recollections (and Ed’s notes, provided yo us all) I can dredge up this much:

Thou Shameless Hooded Flirt,

Perfect! Exactly what I needed. Thanks to you and to the grinning man with the beard, behind the beaded curtain.

Hmmm... Every hour or so? Don't you ever sleep? Or do you just catch quick catnaps between each new arrival from the endless multitudes of eager, starry-eyed suitors with steamed-up glasses? What goes on at that northern GenCon, anyway? I thought SoCal was supposed to be the "Den O' Iniquity"...

Wide-eyed and innocent,

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  01:52:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
BrokenRulz, Ed hereafter makes answer to your question: “How does Elminster celebrate the Yuletide/Soltice?”

The axial tilt, size, and rotational period of Toril are close to our Earth’s but not identical. Solstices do occur, and at such times “the Weave shines forth most brightly” in the Realms.
Which is the bardic way of saying that at such times there’s some restlessness in Mystra, due to her origins (Selune), and the Weave is therefore more active than at most other times (with surges of raw magical energy washing back and forth, sometimes ‘powering up’ cast spells to greater damage, duration, or area of effect than would normally be possible, and more often spitting off unintended wild magic side effects). Beyond such happenings, this time of year has little greater significance to Mystra and her Chosen. However, Elminster has visited our Earth often, and is familiar with Yule celebrations and the more modern commercial Christmas. (So, to a much more limited extent, are Laeral and The Simbul and Storm.)
El has little use for presents and much of the foolishness associated with the etiquette of modern organized faiths of any sort, but it pleases his nature to do at Yuletide what he’s always done as a Chosen: help folk and support their belief in magic or strength of Sense of Wonder.
In other words, he gives gifts of food, unlooked-for aid, and spell-cast warmth and shelter to those in need in the bitter winter cold, AND enjoys playing a mysterious Father Christmas figure, especially if he can do small acts of magic observed by one or two beings at a time rather than large audiences, so he can foster a belief in magic in those observers (awakening awe in adults - - and teenagers who’ve just scornfully stopped believing in Santa Claus - - of our world, in particular).
He enjoys showing up wherever I am, late on the night of Christmas Eve/wee hours of Christmas morning, and letting me see his wink and wave as he works some small magic to awe a youngster. And downs something handy from my wine cellar or liquour cabinet, too.

So saith Ed. A night or two late for this Christmas, but the Master of the Realms keeps up with his Candlekeep answers as best he can at this frenetic (both for writing and family celebrations) time of year.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  02:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Ah, the old softie!

Any chance Ed could put in a good word to have Santa Weirdbeard make an appearance next year for my daughter, Arilyn?

Go to Top of Page

Jerryd
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  02:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all. Herewith, Ed makes reply to Borch:
So, yes, when THO relays a scribe’s question about lore of a dale or oaths, I sit down and make a lot of stuff up. That’s what this hobby (and the Realms) is about, in my view.
With this in mind, I'd better clarify something in regards to my question a little while back about the string of three little islands just a few dozen miles northwest of Candlekeep.

In general, I think it is absolutely great that Ed is willing to devote the time to making up new Realmslore on the spot to satisfy our never-sated appetite for such, and I heap praise on him for this. In general I think this sort of thing is exactly what we scribes want. That said, though, I think it might behoove us lesser scribes to specify whether that is what we want or not when we pose questions. For example, in my question about the aforementioned islands, that is specifically not what I wanted. I didn't think to make this clear but my question was about pre-existing Realmslore on these islands, whether published or in Ed's head. I had a specific use for these islands in the campaign I'm a part of, and I just wanted to know if there was pre-existing lore I had to take into account for my own ideas and needs. In the particular case of these islands, if there was no pre-existing lore I would have much preferred an answer like "no, I've never done anything with these islands before, have at it and do what you will with them" to the spontaneous invention of more Realmslore about them.

These comments apply only to that specific question of mine; please do not take it as a general preference for a "no info available" answer over the invention of new lore. When I ask future questions, I'll try to make clear in each case what I'm looking for. (Actually, I'm compiling a list of questions most of which involve the clarification of previously published lore, but I'm hoping to finish another project before starting to ask them).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  02:11:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

Jerryd and I are having a small debate. Grins at Jerryd.

Do elves in the Realms have body hair? Or am I misremembering a passage from somewhere that says they only have scalp hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes.....

And if you wish to add any other physical attributes about elves or the other demihuman races that would be great also! :) Like maybe tell us that halflings still have hairy feet even though 3e retconned that. :) Grins.

Edit: I found the source. The 3e and 3.5e PHB's.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Dec 2004 04:32:24
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  04:08:52  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

Dargoth, Ed would be happy to do a Silver Marches update with Bob, but that’s the sort of thing that’s VERY hard to make happen (being as it involves two very busy creators, the WotC Books people, the WotC games people, and either DRAGON or WotC’s Online Media department). Think of it as trying to make five different countries agree on something and then hammer out a detailed agreement: it CAN happen, but it’s likely to take a long time and be “back burnered” more than once.

Now that waterdeep is out of the way, I personally hope that Silverymoon would be the next "great city" novel we'd see. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon since Bob has already expressed interested in getting away from Drizzt to work on Artemis as well as having setup his shortstory line up for Drizzt et al. and the next major Drizzt trilogy.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  08:25:24  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed,
This time I'm in an urgent need for information. Since I'm still working on Baldur's Gate and I'm nearly finished, I need to know something about some folk from the city. I do not need much. I just want to know what are their current levels and classes and this and of stuff. And it would be useful to know if they're still alive or something ;) And here's the list of the NPC's:

1) "Lady" Alyth Elendara
2) Aundegul Shawn
3) Felogyr Sonshal
4) Halbazzer Drin
5) Ithyl Calantryn
6) Krammoch Arkhstaff
7) Lonthalin Mintar
8) Nantrin Bellowglyn
9) Ragefast
10) Ramazith Flamesinger
11) Shandalar
12) Talessyr Tranth
13) Entar Silvershield
14) Liia Jannath
15) Belt
16) High Artificer Thalamond Albaier
17) Chanthalas Ulbright
18) Storm-Priestess Janatha Mistmyr

I'm aware that many of them may be NDA's, so I would be really glad even with the current levels, so I can make the statistics. Oh, and about the lords of Baldur's Gate and the the priests, it would be also very helpful to know how they (more or less) look because I would like to make pictures of them as well :) Thanks in advance!
P.S. When I'm done with all this I shall show You my efforts :)

Edited by - Verghityax on 29 Dec 2004 10:40:34
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  08:41:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Gold and Glory has a color pic of some of the merc leaders of the Flaming Fist. :) And the FRCS also has some of thier current levels.....

Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  10:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Oops, my mistake. Thanks Kuje.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  12:12:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Dear Ed,
This time I'm in an urgent need for information. Since I'm still working on Baldur's Gate and I'm nearly finished, I need to know something about some folk from the city. I do not need much.

No, not much at all. These are all 2E stats. If you want 3E stats, do some work yourself!

quote:

1) "Lady" Alyth Elendara

CG half-elf female R7

quote:

2) Aundegul Shawn

LN human male F5

quote:

3) Felogyr Sonshal

CN human male F6

quote:

4) Halbazzer Drin

LN human male W18

quote:

5) Ithyl Calantryn

CN human female W12

quote:

6) Krammoch Arkhstaff

NE human male F3

quote:

7) Lonthalin Mintar

CN human male W11

quote:

8) Nantrin Bellowglyn

LN human male F8

quote:

9) Ragefast

NG human male F1

quote:

10) Ramazith Flamesinger

CG human male F6

quote:

11) Shandalar

CN human male W25?

quote:

12) Talessyr Tranth

CN human female (yes, female in disguise) W13

quote:

13) Entar Silvershield

LG human male F21

quote:

14) Liia Jannath

CG human male W16

quote:

15) Belt

CN human male F19

quote:

16) High Artificer Thalamond Albaier

N human male P17

quote:

17) Chanthalas Ulbright

CG human male P15

quote:

18) Storm-Priestess Janatha Mistmyr

NE human female P16

quote:

I'm aware that many of them may be NDA's, so I would be really glad even with the current levels, so I can make the statistics. Oh, and about the lords of Baldur's Gate and the the priests, it would be also very helpful to know how they (more or less) look because I would like to make pictures of them as well :)

We also need birthdays and birthmarks, Ed. Don't forget those!

Seriously Verghityax, all of the info you sought was easily found in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. You are probably new to the Realms and so don't have this 2E product but Ed is unlikely to have the time to regurgitate info he has already provided. Candlekeep is home to countless scribes of quite astounding knowledge and so you might want to use this thread as one of "last resort" if a generic query on the boards fails to give you the answers you seek. It's nice to think of Ed as our FR Directory Assistance, but his time is much too valuable to waste in such a role.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  13:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
You are probably new to the Realms and so don't have this 2E product but Ed is unlikely to have the time to regurgitate info he has already provided.

Heh, I'm not new at all. I'm with the Realms since 1997 and I have a copy of "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast". I also know where I can find 2nd ed. stats. But what I need is 3rd ed. stats - that's why I said I need current levels. I don't want to take that much of Ed's time. I posted my question in case Ed has got some of the info I need somewhere around him. If not, then I shall try to do something myself. Yet, as You surely understand, it's always better to know what the Realms' greatest Oracle may tell :)

Edited by - Verghityax on 29 Dec 2004 13:34:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  13:39:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Well in that case, good luck - Ed isn't much of a stats and levels guy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  15:15:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Verghityax, in this case I know that Ed can’t be much help at all, even without asking him. The ongoing use of Baldur’s Gate for various computer and console games has caused Ed to just step back from it and do nothing in the way of Realmsplay or updating (and as we Knights have had no in-game reason to go there, we’ve respected that). Anything he has done will be secret and NDA-ed.
I checked with him re. your request and he said so far as he knows all of the NPCs you mentioned are still alive, that lore about the rulership of BG must remain sketchy for forthcoming computer game reasons, and that he has nothing in the way of updated stats and levels. Sorry. He and I both understand and admire your enthusiasm for detailing BG (boy, do we understand it! About a hundred-fold, when you look at all the cities Ed wants to tackle), but I’m afraid in this case there’s just not much in the way of help Ed can provide. The mercenary company roster-change information, too, was deliberately left vague because that’s precisely where a DM can build in his or her own secrets to spin subplots from (especially if players want to run characters who become mercenaries, or have extensive dealings with the mercenary companies - - and remember, the Flaming Fist mobilizes very rarely, but is an “old boys’ network” presence of investments and business ventures and spying in BG daily, even if their armour sits dusty).
George has provided the 2nd Ed stats (ah, so swift! I love that in a man!) and he’s quite correct in saying Ed’s not much of a stats and levels guy. We still use 2nd Ed in the ‘home’ Realms campaign, and Ed would much rather focus on back story and intrigue and colour, and leave stats to individual DMs to tailor to their own campaign needs. (After all, in an intensive-roleplaying setting, why not make alterations? Characters don’t walk around with class, level, XP, and hp information tattooed on their foreheads. Or anywhere else on their bodies, as much fun as it might be to go looking. )
THO

P.S. To all patiently-waiting scribes, Ed promises more answers very soon.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  16:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Like maybe tell us that halflings still have hairy feet even though 3e retconned that.

Yes, retcon the retcon!

My minor explanation for that is, first (on the Real World side) the 3e designers wanted to move away from D&D's origins as a way to experience Middle Earth sort of stories. The halflings are, after all, really Hob--

Hmm, it seems some little gnome just walked through and edited out a possible copyright infringement.

On the game side, my other point is that, obviously, halflings can wear shoes, as they are described as wearing them -- and not just magic boots, either.

So, I say that strongheart and lightfoot halflings have less hair and padding on their feet than their remote ancestors, and while they can easily go without boots in places that most humans would feel uncomfortable, they still use them in the same way. Ghostwise halflings have feet like their ancestors, on the other hand, and can go barefoot or at least sandled at most times (except perhaps in extremely cold weather, for instance).

Just my opinion.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  17:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Fair Lady Hooded One,
Thank You very much for this extraordinary swiftness in helping me with my request. Now I can finish my article about Baldur's Gate without any problems (yes, that means no more questions concerning Baldur's Gate from me ).
Go to Top of Page

Jerryd
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  23:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
quote:

BrokenRulz, Ed hereafter makes answer to your question...

The axial tilt, size, and rotational period of Toril are close to our Earth’s but not identical.
This is interesting....

Recently, I allowed myself a major distraction from my War Wizards chapter of the Military Forces of Cormyr to delve into exactly this topic due to the needs of the campaign I'm a part of, that is currently involved in a lengthy ocean voyage. I actually typed up an lengthy article (unsubmitted anywhere as of yet, but intended to be put on the REALMS-L list then submitted here to Candlekeep) detailing my investigations, using the globe feature on the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas and using the actual formulae for orthographic projections to determine the latitude and longitude of various points of interest. Using many of those latitudes and longitudes in conjunction with the measured distances between the points on the flat maps, I was able to come up with a statistical estimate of the size of Toril. It had to be a statistical estimate because the FRIA maps don't always mesh well — when the same two points are on different maps, the distances measured can be different between the two maps. I ended up with a statistical estimate of 9000 miles for Toril's diameter, which is about 14% larger than Earth.

Using the factoid from the 3rd Ed. FRCS ("Midwinter Day in Silverymoon sees little more than 8 hours of daylight, and Midsummer almost 16.") in conjunction with the calculated latitude and longitude from the globe, I was able to determine that Toril's axial tilt is 29°20', which is about 25% greater than our own earth's 23°27'.

Of course, the validity of these figures depends on how much credulity one puts in the FRIA, particularly in how accurate a job the programmers did with the Globe feature. What does Ed think of these numbers? Does the diameter and tilt figures of 14% and 25% greater than Earth respectively fall within Ed's rather vague "close but not identical?"

(Hmmm... the REALMS-L list has been slow lately... I might go ahead and post the article I did there. I'll wait until I get the War Wizard article ready for Candlekeep to submit a web version to Alaundo with the War Wizard article, unless he wants to grab it off of the mailing list...)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  00:46:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Why, THANK you, Karth - - I embrace and revel in your compliments, choosing to believe in them even I must confess I can scarce believe your “wide-eyed and innocent” claim of stance. Shameless, a flirt, and Hooded I am, all three, but I must correct an impression: I FEEL lonesome every hour or so, but I don’t, ah, assuage the gnawings of that feeling that often. I let it build, deliciously, until the moment is right, and welcome all too few new arrivals, these days (except during a little after-dark summertime game of being hunted through the forest by many masked “suitors,” to borrow your word). I attend GenCon very rarely these days, and always anonymously (meaning: I don’t wander around on Ed’s arm), and am usually the very model of decorum whilst there. Although there was that enjoyable sojourn on the hood of a slowly-moving car nigh the lakeshore in Milwaukee, and several occasions in the Safe House . . .
Ahem. Enough titillation; I’m sure some scribes find this talk less than amusing. You must tell me more of the “Den O’ Iniquity” reputation of GenCon SoCal, some day.
On to business, as they say.

Melfius, how old is your daughter Arilyn, and whereabouts (country, state or province, that sort of thing, not precise directions to her bedside or favourite play area) can she be found?
Ed probably can’t travel much at Christmas, given his own family obligations, but perhaps a “letter from Santa”?
Ed was quite busy this year writing “Santa” replies to childrens’ letters (local volunteers secretly do that to assist the Canadian Post Office up here, and Ed says he was very touched to receive letters to Santa from a lonely eighty-two-year-old widow and a twenty-one-year-old desperate-for-help-getting-presents-for-her-daughter single mother . . . he took time to buy and wrap presents for both of them, and then - - with the cooperation of the local police, of course, so they know who’s creeping around houses, late at night - - put on a Santa suit in case someone was awake to see him, and delivered said presents to doorways, around two in the morning of Christmas Day. Old softie, indeed.
A postscript for Melfius: Ed has only very scanty Akadi lore, and is trying to track down some notes he made years back (with a view to squaring them against the 2nd Ed gods work Eric Boyd and Julia Martin did, and the later 3e iterations) before posting them through me. He warns that they ARE “slender.”

Jerryd, Ed tells me there IS “pre-existing Realmslore on these islands” you asked about; the delay in his reply has been getting NDA clearance from Wizards (WotC effectively closes down from Christmas Eve through until early in January, and most folks there are whirlwind-busy throughout much of December getting various tasks and projects done and “their desks cleared” so they can enjoy the Christmas vacation without having to design or write or worry about unfinished work).
From my own hazy remembrances of Realmsplay [note to George Krashos: this is as good a time as any to answer your query: I never played a member of the Company of Crazed Venturers, only a few Knights of Myth Drannor], I believe the outer islands are used by pirates and are littered with the wrecks of beached, scuttled, and half-burned ships, and inhabited by a few monsters and castaways and uncounted thousands of seabirds, while the inner trio have castles on them, and so presumably are inhabited (I know the Crazed Venturers visited at least one of them). Ed will say more as soon as he can, and I honestly don’t know how extensive his Realmslore on these island is.
Your point about scribes specifying if they want Ed to craft new Realmslore is well-taken and appreciated (and as for your wanting to finish another project before asking other lore-clarification questions, Ed laughed uproariously and said, “Me too! Me too!”).
As for your Toril global figures, they seem fine to me on first glance. I’ve relayed them to Ed for his comments.

Now, as for the rather delicate matter of elven body hair, kuje, you KNOW Ed isn’t the guy to go to for WotC rules battles. The PHBs rule, of course, with one note Ed added (as we laughed together on the phone, remembering the “Do dwarven females have beards?” furor that arose at least thrice, down the years), to whit:

If you always treat the comments in rulebooks as “racial norms” rather than absolutes, and as DM encourage your campaign to be roleplaying-heavy and rules-light (so that book-quoting rules-lawyers can be calmly replied with, “Oh? Really? That’s odd, because standing right in front of you is an individual you can clearly see to be the elf lord you were just introduced to, and yes, he has a pencil-thin moustache and razor-edged, line-of-chin beard. Are you going to tell him to drop the silly magical disguise, or ask him why he’s a freak, or just trust your eyes and accept that he has the hair and go on with life?”), you can ‘explain away’ variants from the ever-changing game rules as “individuals who are different, that’s all.”
As it happens, all of the Knights can attest that Merith Strongbow has both (scant, but dark in hue and definitely present) facial and body hair (though unlike human males, he doesn’t get facial stubble if he doesn’t shave every morning, and in fact never needs to shave) and Torm of the Knights can tell you that certain elf ladies of his acquaintance definitely have genital hair abundant enough to be trimmed into shapes. A subject I’d probably better say nothing more about. :}
As for hairy halfling feet: I’m sure some hin do have shaggy-haired insteps, but as it happens most of the halflings I’ve directly detailed in Realmslore down the years have had smooth brownish skin on the tops of their feet, and tough layers of horn-like skin (akin to inch-thick callouses in texture) covering the bottoms of their feet, so they can comfortably go barefoot even on rough ground and in extremes of temperature.

So saith Ed. Onward. Capn Charlie, don’t hurl aside that planner: Ed IS at work on a short roster of festivals and holidays for you.

Sir Urza, Ed shares your enthusiasm for Silverymoon, and will be seeking to cajole certain WotC editors into agreement with him, when the time is right.

Verghityax, Ed confirmed that he doesn’t have any stat and level updates to pass on to you, for the “standing back” from BG reason I gave. He also said he’d love to do a BG update game product some day, but only when “The computer games set therein are truly over and done with - - and that may be a very long time indeed in coming.”

And I believe that clears MY desk for the moment. Leaving it clear so I can lounge provocatively on it and further tease Wooly Rupert, Blueblade, Karth, and divers other scribes. Who can offer comment on my body hair . . . or not, just as they prefer . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  01:51:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Nay Lady THO and Ed,

That was not my intent. I was curious about Ed's words on elven physical characteristics. I was not trying to have Ed have a rules conflict or rule battle with WOTC. Sorry if it seemed that way. Some of us prefer to know how the elves of FR might differ from the elves of the other worlds. Sigh.

And I've been in a few of the dwarven female and beards debate. :) Luckly that hasn't come up again in about a year or so.

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2004 01:59:36
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  05:29:46  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

Sir Urza, Ed shares your enthusiasm for Silverymoon, and will be seeking to cajole certain WotC editors into agreement with him, when the time is right.

Well if Ed plans on doing it, then that's good indeed. Hmm, that'll be a long way away though, but worth the wait I'm sure!

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000