Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  03:42:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed speaks to Dargoth’s theory of other gods having Chosen:

An interesting idea, Dargoth. One that I can’t confirm or deny for NDA reasons (heh-heh), and of course that no mortal being dwelling in the Realms could ever know the truth of (because high priests and even the gods themselves could - - and in many cases, already demonstrably do - - lie about such things). Kentinal proposes a just-as-valid possible alternative, and as kuje31 implies with his take-this-elsewhere request, this is one of those topics that scribes can energetically disagree upon, and debate at great length. As I’ve said many a time before: when it comes to matters divine (and even of planar mechanics), most mortals can never learn absolute truths, or be certain that they’ve done so.
In other news, scribes such as Capn Charlie, Melfius, Jerryd, Gerath Hoan, and Gray Richardson should be aware that I have their Realmslore questions and requests, and will get to them when I can (what with the time of year and various Realms-related writing projects, I can only quote Peter Sellers: “Now is not the time, Kato!”). I’ve not forgotten you, and do need some WotC clearance on some matters to avoid offending against NDAs.
Life doesn’t get simpler as you get older. It just gets more painful.

So saith Ed, the poor overworked dear. I’ll have to give him some personal TLC when next I see him (very soon, I hope). Strikes pose, licks lips, and purrs, “Wish me luck.”

THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  04:21:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I’ll have to give him some personal TLC when next I see him (very soon, I hope). Strikes pose, licks lips, and purrs, “Wish me luck.”

THO

Can I get in line for that, too (the receiving TLC, not giving it to Ed! )?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  08:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
It warms the cockles of my heart that with all that's going on for Ed--especially now during the holidays--he would take the time to mention he has my question in his thoughts. My very best holiday wishes go to Ed and his family and that he gets to relax and spend lots of time with them free from the cares of his busy schedule.

And for you Hooded One, my holiday wish is that you are rewarded with all the "luck" (and everything else!) you desire.

Seasons Greetings!
Go to Top of Page

Milil
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  08:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Milil's Homepage Send Milil a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood and Mylady THO,

I am very grateful for the replies to my queries, however it came a bit too late for me to incorporate it into my paper. However, the paper I wrote was for a minor course and if I can somehow find a way to work this into my capstone or a 4th year research project by broadening the scope to include other cross-media phenomenon I will be sure to include everything I have learned here. It has been great to hear from all the authors on the subject and has really helped deepen my understanding of the complexity of your work. My hat is off to all of you!

Cheers!
David Lemm
University of Alberta, Edmonton.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  04:07:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed makes answer to zeathiel:

Drow are definitely unwelcome in Silverymoon.
Your quotations from the text I penned (and Rich Baker edited) for THE SILVER MARCHES are correct, but I confess I can’t see any confusion. The first quotation is describing a magical property of the city wards, and the second is describing the attitude of Silverymoon to visitors from among the ranks of “The People of the Silver Marches” (the title of that chapter), and of the races known to dwell in the region who may be encountered (as traders) traveling in the Marches. As no member of the League of the Silver Marches counts drow as among its citizens (“people”), the second passage is dealing with what happens if drow (of any sort) show up at the gates of Silverymoon: they won’t be allowed to enter (just as Drizzt was not allowed to enter, in Bob’s novel STREAMS OF SILVER).
Because of the strong presence of elves and half-elves in Silverymoon (where Alustriel is trying to, in some respects, recreate Myth Drannor, remember?), drow are too much feared and hated to be openly welcome. Waterdeep is a human-dominated cosmopolitan trading city where coins rule and half the creatures of Faerûn rub shoulders; its tolerance is legendary and a foundation-stone of its mercantile success - - yet even in the City of Splendors, most folk react with either unease or open dislike to drow.
That’s not to say that a DM can’t make exceptions, or have particular individuals treated differently. Yet if *I* was a drow who wanted to enter Silverymoon, I’d adopt a very good disguise.
Alustriel can, of course, (by use of ward-tokens, as discussed in THE SILVER MARCHES) allow Drizzt to enter the High Palace or various other locations in the city without his having to enter via a city gate and walk the streets. Drizzt or any other drow can accompany a ruler of a League member and enjoy diplomatic immunity (as simontrinity alluded to when posting “while King Bruenor will speak for Drizzt,” but you can be sure such individuals will be VERY closely watched (by members of the Spellguard as well as more mundane spies - - and by other eyes than merely those belonging to the city authorities and Harpers, too).
simontrinity is quite correct in saying that it’s “easier for people to believe an occasional rare drow may turn good, than it is to believe that a whole bunch of them” [good drow, that is] “are roaming around.”
No, there aren’t lots of drow worshippers of Eilistraee OPENLY wandering the streets of Silverymoon, but there ARE probably sixty or more dwelling in the city in disguise, and many more in the lands around Silverymoon and around Everlund (as Kentinal suggested). My Lady Hooded can provide details of where and how the Knights met with drow worshippers of Eilistraee. :}

So saith Ed, and yes, I can. Being candid by nature about matters sensual, let me just put it this way: the lands along the Rauvin between Silverymoon and Everlund are FAIRLY safe, being under the patrolled protection of both places. In this area are a number of small, private fortified manor houses that serve as rather exclusive inns (often patronized by caravan companies, adventuring bands, and parties of envoys). Some of them offer the services of some rather exotic ladies-of-pleasure who are, ahem, good at dancing, not shy about being unclad, and have skin of, yes, obsidian hue. Any Silvaeren who care to pay any attention at all to social news of Silverymoon knows of these “dark ladies,” even if they’ve never seen them or ventured to any of these manors.
We Knights have stayed at several of them. As I recall, Torm had to be physically peeled away from a favourite lady when it came time for us to depart the manor of Vesprae’s Gates - - and even Florin gets a wistful look on his face when Lady Vesprae herself is mentioned. (Dove teases him by uttering that name from time to time, just to see him look uncomfortable and mournful, all at once.)
love to all,
THO

Oh, and a postscript to David Lemm:
Ed’s “Uncle George” (actually his cousin, once removed) W.G. Hardy, was once chancellor of the University of Alberta. And a Canadian writer of note (author of Alberta: A Centennial History; City of Libertines; The Scarlet Mantle; The Bloody Toga, and others).

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 Dec 2004 04:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  04:25:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

Some of them offer the services of some rather exotic ladies-of-pleasure who are, ahem, good at dancing, not shy about being unclad, and have skin of, yes, obsidian hue.

Just deeply suntanned elves I say *wink* because of their nature to often be unclad.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  08:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message

Ed

Any chance you and RA Salvatore could do an "Hunters Blade Update" article for the Silver Marches source book for either for the WOTC Website or Dragon Magazine?

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  16:53:36  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
Ed is there any truth that you wil be doing articles in Dragon Magazine concerning the cities of the Realms???Also to be included maps of said cities.If you are doing this.What cities do you plan on covering??How many are you planning on doing???

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  18:43:01  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, and yes, I can. Being candid by nature about matters sensual, let me just put it this way: the lands along the Rauvin between Silverymoon and Everlund are FAIRLY safe, being under the patrolled protection of both places. In this area are a number of small, private fortified manor houses that serve as rather exclusive inns (often patronized by caravan companies, adventuring bands, and parties of envoys). Some of them offer the services of some rather exotic ladies-of-pleasure who are, ahem, good at dancing, not shy about being unclad, and have skin of, yes, obsidian hue. Any Silvaeren who care to pay any attention at all to social news of Silverymoon knows of these “dark ladies,” even if they’ve never seen them or ventured to any of these manors.
We Knights have stayed at several of them. As I recall, Torm had to be physically peeled away from a favourite lady when it came time for us to depart the manor of Vesprae’s Gates - - and even Florin gets a wistful look on his face when Lady Vesprae herself is mentione.

Alrighty then!

*adds to list of places to visit if ever transported to the Realms. Vesprae's Gates, Silver Marches*

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

BrokenRulz
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  19:19:23  Show Profile  Visit BrokenRulz's Homepage Send BrokenRulz a Private Message
Hooded One...

How does Elminster celebrate the Yuletide/Soltice ?

D.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  19:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
THO, please ask Ed to tell us, as much as NDAs will allow (yeah, I know that may not be much at all), if he will be covering any new or neglected places/regions/cities/realms in his 2005 Realmslore columns. Thanks muchly.
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  02:09:19  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
I would like to send my thanks to Ed for his reply, and also to thank THO for her intriguing commentary, as always. There is nothing quite like this thread, I hope it never ends.

Edited by - zeathiel on 23 Dec 2004 02:20:46
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  02:17:03  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
quote:
THO, please ask Ed to tell us, as much as NDAs will allow (yeah, I know that may not be much at all), if he will be covering any new or neglected places/regions/cities/realms in his 2005 Realmslore columns. Thanks muchly.

I read that they were going to be adding articles on various cities in Faerûn written by Ed and containing lots of juicy details, maps, etc. Look for them in future Dragon magazines.

Edited by - zeathiel on 23 Dec 2004 02:20:14
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  03:41:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed replies to Kentinal:

I’m afraid the proper answer to most of your questions must be:
I don’t know, because my sources (Elminster and Laeral) can’t be trusted to tell me the truth, and because no mortal can be certain they know the truth anyway.
This statement applies to your questions about 10th level spells (though I’ll hint that I think your “quick answer” just might be correct *wink*), Shar’s possible bans and allowances, and the number of Chosen in existence.
Can Chosen be killed? Certainly; Realmslore contains several examples of this (Syluné among them).
Do all deities have a Chosen? Possibly all deities may call one or more mortals “Chosen,” whatever their actual status or powers may be, but this is unlikely. Certainly we thus far have no evidence of the majority of Faerûnian deities having Chosen. Only Mystra has a large handful of very powerful and somewhat independent “Chosen,” because Mystra (as explained many times previously) is a special case among the divine.

So saith Ed. Who’s probably getting very weary of going over this ground repeatedly. Why all the fascination with Chosen, anyway? Are there lots of gamers interested in populating their Realms campaigns with divinely-blessed superheroes?
Just curious.
In the original Realms campaign, I was always fascinated by how adroitly Ed kept the Chosen in the background, available for moments of snappy repartee but far too busy pursuing their own multiple missions to dominate OUR adventuring.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  04:09:20  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Hear, hear! While I admit that at first my group was tempted to use the Chosen (of Mystra, usually) to solve issues, or start quests, it soon became apparent that they were being used as a crutch. We quickly found reasons that they were never available, unless the PCs were really in over their heads (read: DM got a little too happy with the encounters!)

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  04:27:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Trying to format reply properly. apoligies offered in advance if does not work and I can not fix.

quote:

Hello, all. Ed replies to Kentinal:

I thank thee THO, messenger of the Sage of FR, and of course him as well for answers to my questions. All praise be to you both.

quote:

I’m afraid the proper answer to most of your questions must be:
I don’t know, because my sources (Elminster and Laeral) can’t be trusted to tell me the truth, and because no mortal can be certain they know the truth anyway.
This statement applies to your questions about 10th level spells (though I’ll hint that I think your “quick answer” just might be correct *wink*), Shar’s possible bans and allowances, and the number of Chosen in existence.

It would be nice to have better sources of information, however I understand that few of power share all they know (and sometimes even they are surprised by what they do not know). Such often occurs though I read the cryptic reply to indicate that very few 10th level spells are cast these days, as well as perhaps a few other hints. **winks*

quote:

Can Chosen be killed? Certainly; Realmslore contains several examples of this (Syluné among them).

I am aware of (unless out of date) that one of the Seven sisters currently is enjoying a ghost status. What is generally not considered alive, but certainly not dead either. So in part my question on this matter was can a Chosen achieve a final death as long as thier deity provides a dvine spark?

quote:

Do all deities have a Chosen? Possibly all deities may call one or more mortals “Chosen,” whatever their actual status or powers may be, but this is unlikely. Certainly we thus far have no evidence of the majority of Faerûnian deities having Chosen. Only Mystra has a large handful of very powerful and somewhat independent “Chosen,” because Mystra (as explained many times previously) is a special case among the divine.

Yes i understand that Mystra certainly has a large collection of Chosen compared to the few others that such have been discovered. I have read scrolls of theories about which deities might chose to have a Chosen (or more then one) and the ones that chose not to. In time perhaps all will be discovered, though I suspect AO would have to offer such information (and current lore has it AO is not talking *grin* ).

quote:

So saith Ed. Who’s probably getting very weary of going over this ground repeatedly. Why all the fascination with Chosen, anyway? Are there lots of gamers interested in populating their Realms campaigns with divinely-blessed superheroes?
Just curious.

Most certainly (I suspect) are fasinated with Chosen for the extra power they recieve, much like desire of a Drow PC. Such often comes up for discussion. It certainly better for most to play with an edge to win, few players gladly watch the death of their Characters.

quote:

In the original Realms campaign, I was always fascinated by how adroitly Ed kept the Chosen in the background, available for moments of snappy repartee but far too busy pursuing their own multiple missions to dominate OUR adventuring.
THO

In general IMO they should still remain there in the background, however there are templates out there (non official that I know of) of how to become a Chosen. Surviving and/or being the best are the attractions. There certainly can for some be a cool factor or truely Roleplaying value, however I suspect most just want to be the best they can be.

Again I thank you both for the answers provided, some of which I might puzzel over for a time. May these days bring you both light and joy.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  16:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message
Dear The Hooded One,

You have graciously answered one previous question I had regarding the duergahydra some time ago and again, my curiousity with a longstanding question overcomes my hesitancy in pestering yourself and the Ed of the Greenwood.

I've been scouring Realmslore for years now regarding Tyr. He is sometimes referred to as Anachtyr in Calimshan but more importantly, it has been written that he is the current incarnation of the prior god of justice.

To stop rambling, my question is whether the Knights have had many dealings with the Tyrants... er, Tyrrans, how they have generally gone, and whether there is any further enlightenment you can offer those of us interested in the stodgy Grimjaws without violating the NDA's drafted by us faceless, dark-suited wanna-be yugoloths of the Prime?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  02:08:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, SirUrza, Ed is happily working away on the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy. Unless plans change, you won’t see the first book (tentatively entitled THE SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR) until 2006, because Ed’s collaboration with Elaine Cunningham, CITY OF SPLENDORS, will be ‘the’ 2005 Realms novel. Ed tells me he’s having lots of fun with this one, but it CAN’T be an accurate retelling of our dozens-of-unfolding-subplots-at-once campaign play in the original Realms campaign, because none of the three books could then really ‘tell a story.’ Readers who didn’t happen to be of we Fortunate Few gamers in the ‘home’ Realms campaign would endure a lot of “What’s going ON?” puzzlement, and read a lot of narrative that would boil down to the sort of stuff you hear at conventions, that ends with a sheepish, “Well, I guess you had to be there.”
So Ed has gone back to how we originally got our charter (as an adventuring band in Cormyr called, oddly enough, “The Swords of Eveningstar”), and started spinning a new tale from there that features a FEW of the NPCs and situations we Knights faced. Yes, Elminster should show up for a scene or two -- but JUST for a scene or two; this is a Knights book and not an Elminster book. Students of Cormyr will, of course, not want to miss a word of the first Knights book, because it reveals something of styles of speech, attitudes, bureaucracy, and divers other “little daily details” of the Forest Kingdom at the time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  02:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Sounds great, THO!

I hope the editors don't chop it to shreds, though!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  08:00:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Students of Cormyr will, of course, not want to miss a word of the first Knights book, because it reveals something of styles of speech, attitudes, bureaucracy, and divers other “little daily details” of the Forest Kingdom at the time.
love to all,
THO
Sweet!
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  12:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
Happy Holidays to you Ed and Lady Hood.

Thank you for all the replies.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  12:54:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I, too, should like to wish Happy Holidays to both Ed and The Lovely Lady Hooded One, and add that I hope to find her under my Christmas tree in the morning.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  12:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
(I know it's encouraging it, but I gotta say it.)

You sure Santa wouldn't just keep her for himself?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  14:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Indeed, indeed, Seasons Greetings from all at Candlekeep to Ed and the Hooded One and all other Forgotten Realms authors who have kindly devoted their time to respond to us humble scribes here at the library.

For fear of clogging up Ed's scrolls, please write any seasons greetings here. Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2004 :  01:18:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Karth, I’m happy to try answering your cartographers question by my lonesome (and ahhh, I get lonesome . . . about every hour or so, in fact . . . ). I don’t have the lore in my head that Ed does, of course, but from my Knightly recollections (and Ed’s notes, provided yo us all) I can dredge up this much:

Anyone can go to the Royal Court, ask directions of many guards (who can and will gruffly point you at the right building, wing, and floor), scurrying pages (who can give useful, accurate, and very brief locational replies), and clerks (most of whom are unhelpful, some sneeringly so), and eventually find their way to the Office of the Clerk of Maps.
The Clerk, an aging and bespectacled man by the name of Ulthaerus, was always far too busy to see us, accept appointments for any person or rank of person we could think up, or even (as far as a sneaking-about Torm was able to determine) show up in his inner office for work. However, he has six or seven Senior Underclerks (mostly tall, humourless, petty-power-loving [ahem] pricks [ahem] with fussy habits and names like Dueklaer, Ombrael, Instur, and Phelmet), and a dozen Junior Underclerks, who scuttle about and do all the real work. I only have two names of these nervous, helpful young men: Asgler and Paerimm. (These are all surnames, by the way; the only first names we ever learned for any of them was “Clerk.” )
The office also has two Secretaries (the only females, of course, and the only ones who have everything you need to know memorized): the middle-aged, matronly, iron-patient Amilla and Jathys (first names, of course, and it’s pronounced “JATH-ee-sss”). The Office is authorized to sell you street maps of every named settlement of Cormyr except military installations (in other words, you can’t get High Horn, but you can get all the other places along the major roads; DMs who don’t want their players to get particular maps, or who don’t want to go to the trouble of generating maps for places like Espar, can just have the Senior Underclerks explain that those maps are ‘out of stock’ at the moment), plus a VERY simple overall road map of the kingdom. No other maps are available, and persistent attempts to obtain such things will invite War Wizard scrutiny (yes, being tailed by spies).
Detailed property maps (deed by deed) aren’t kept at the Office of the Clerk of Maps, but at the much-harder-to-find Offices of the Land, whose Lord Registrars (self-titled clerks, not nobles) so jealously guard them that even courtiers and Court clerks from other departments can’t get to see them. War Wizards and Obarskyrs are the exceptions, but even they won’t really get helped by the Registrars (the “help” will be hindrance, full of misdirection and literal obedience rather than providing all that is desired or implied).
Neither Royal Court office provides keyed maps of cities (there are no feature or street names on any official maps for public purchase, just compass roses and place names), and neither allows visitors to “just look at” maps, even for fees (or attempted bribes). I can’t recall the prices charged for maps (because, ahem, Torm stole the ones we wanted, although the rest of us didn’t learn this until later), but I SEEM to remember something (probably the overall road map) being 75 gp.
I do know that the maps had a reputation for being VERY accurate, each city being checked annually and a spell being used to ‘project’ the image of a correct master map onto parchment for precise copying by the clerks (so every map was hand-drawn, but was also darn near identical to the source map and all other copies of the same vintage).
There are at least three shops in Suzail that have extensive collections of old (secondhand) maps from everywhere in the Heartlands, and one of them, Mustipher’s, is a second-floor shop about midway along the southern side of the Promenade, above a cloak and sash shop. I recall that both Florin and Torm were of the opinion that Belvarus Mustipher (a fat, hand-rubbing, always-leering little man) employed some youngsters skilled at drawing to make simplified (but probably accurate, unless they got really bored, I suppose) copies of some of the maps, and display one copy at a time for sale. Mustipher’s prices were 350 gp and up (he wanted a thousand gp for a Waterdeep street map and a detailed overland trade-route map, if memory serves me correctly; we didn’t bite). The other two shops were down near the docks at the west end of the city, and east of the center of the city, somewhere a street or so south of the Promenade; I don’t recall their names or locations because Torm and Rathan did the scouting and just told us.
Which is a very long way of getting around to what you wanted, Karth: the actual cartographers living in Suzail.
All I can say is there were only two publicly making a living at cartography, and only one of these would travel (within central Cormyr only, not east of Arabel or Marsember, or west of High Horn) to make measurements and observations so as to draw a ‘new’ map to order.
The non-traveling cartographer was Orustivus Malonder, a very wealthy retired adventurer of striking stature, looks, and voice (the “grand dramatic actor” type; think Luciano Pavarotti in build and beard, only gone gray), who lived somewhere in the wealthy area of the city north and west of the Palace and sold maps only through agents (urbane young adventuring types, all handsome young men, whom Torm suspected of reporting all unusual inquiries to the War Wizards) who could be contacted in several of the better taverns and dining houses along the Promenade. Malonder sold some rudimentary street maps of various Heartland cities (Ed just gave us copies of the originals he’d drawn for the FR Adventures hardcover, whenever we bought a map from Malonder), with SOME street names and features provided. He could also provide the same maps sold by the Office of the Clerk of Maps, but with a lot more features and streets “filled in.”
The traveling (and best) cartographer was Lorimel Rustellur, who lives in Thornposts, a grand house two doors west of Taneth’s (Taneth’s festhall is keyed feature #54 on the Suzail map published in A GRAND TOUR OF THE REALMS in the 2nd Edition Realms boxed set, and Thornposts is the second L-shaped building ‘along the row’ northwest from Taneth’s (due north of the westernmost of the two clumps of trees enclosed by this block of buildings).
Rustellur had done floorplan maps of many noble mansions and keeps, all over Cormyr, as well as “estates maps,” which are illustrated ‘from the air’ views of the arrangements of buildings, gardens, bridges, and ‘water features’ on a landscaped estate (of a noble or very wealthy landowner). He never sold any of these for less than a thousand gp each (the idea being that only jealous fellow nobles hoping to ‘build something grander’ would bother to pay such sums, and so such maps would be kept out of the hands of thieves and “common persons”). Rustellur wouldn’t sell any maps of Crown lodges, mansions, castles, or civic buildings, but could provide just about everything else (a DM wants players to have, from any sourcebook) if one could afford his always-steep fees; I doubt he drew custom maps for less than 2000 gp plus travel expenses, or sold any map for less than 800 gp.
There are, of course, plenty of retired (and not-so-retired) traveling merchants and Purple Dragons resident in Suzail who can draw crude, not-to-scale “how to get to Tavern X/the house of Y/Dungeon Z” maps, often for as little as 25 gp.

There you go. I’ve quoted Ed extensively in what I’ve just posted here, and I’m a fairly good judge by now of ‘how far’ he wants things revealed, so I doubt he’ll want to add much to this. I hope this is of help.

Oh, yes, and to Bookwyrm and Wooly Rupert: yes, I’ll be waiting under a certain someone’s tree very late tonight, next to the crackling fire and wearing only a Santa hat, fishnet stockings, a sly grin, and a big ribbon and bow around my neck - - but if I COULD be in more than one place at once, I’d also be under yours. If only to see the expressions on your faces.
I get such a thrill when grown men suddenly start believing in Santa Claus again.

love and fair tidings of the season to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  02:54:50  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Oh great Hooded One, I'm beginning to see why you're so loved. Thanks for the wonderfully timed holiday treat. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  03:34:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, and yes, I can. Being candid by nature about matters sensual, let me just put it this way: the lands along the Rauvin between Silverymoon and Everlund are FAIRLY safe, being under the patrolled protection of both places. In this area are a number of small, private fortified manor houses that serve as rather exclusive inns (often patronized by caravan companies, adventuring bands, and parties of envoys).

I would ask more of this topic. I can see the value of fortified manors on the broders serving well the needs of the Lord holder, it saves the cost of building their own as rest stops. My read of the descrption appears that the regions are like a nuetrual zone, not owing aligence to either Lord Holder. Would this assessment be correct?

I can picture such fortified manors or inns providing services to patrols at low or no cost (in place of paying taxes as a set fee) and making up the differences by the charges made to travelers (that would pay full price, perhaps even more depending on danger and/or supply level of local area) and some level of self sufficency (gardens, smith, weaving, etc.). Which leads to the next question, are there such holdings that do support themself, without travelar trade? I would image even if there was there would br political nessessary be small in population for a large community on or both regions would seek to claim control of them. Thus I speculate that non of these would be greater then a hamlet sized community, prehaps no more the 4 to 10 buildings. Is this a reasonable speculation?

That last, how about other borders, having simalar manors. While I can understand some borders tend to be more combative then others, it strikes me as posible some nuetral manors/inns might exist on them. If so which other borders would tend to have such holdings?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  05:02:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
PDK, Ed replies to your latest queries:

Far more psionically gifted ‘wild talents’ than spellfire channelers, undoubtedly. I’d say the ratios vary from place to place across the Realms, but will never be higher (except when folks who know about their own powers have deliberately gathered together with other ‘gifted’ folk) than 6 wild talents and 0.3 spellfire users per 1000.
Therefore, people who have weird, unique powers derived from psionic inner gifts are more common than spellfire users. Please bear in mind that many of these ‘wild talents’ possess minor abilities indeed, such as: darkvision or see invisible creatures and items for brief periods through intense concentration; momentary feather fall; detect magic or detect traps or dancing lights-equivalent for brief periods through intense concentration; mending (once only per month, intensely exhausting); minor creation (once only per four months, intensely exhausting), sharply limited telekinesis, etc. Most of them “know they can do something special” but have rarely or never explored it (and so don’t know the limits/specifics of their own abilities). Many fear their powers, and even more fear what will happen to them if other people find out about their powers - - and so will never even try to use them except in emergencies, when their lives (or the lives of loved ones) are in peril.

So saith Ed, the willing servant of scribes of Realmslore.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  05:18:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Seasons greetings to all, and especially our ever-generous THO and the "Uncle Wierdbeard"-guy she channels for us.

A question popped into my head after having a re-read of the FRA hardcover (oh, for about the sixtieth time ...) and I thought the answer - when it arrives - may be of interest to the other scribes here. Scattered throughout FRA are various symbols named as "elder runes". They are reprinted on cardstock in the 2E FR Campaign boxed set.

What exactly are elder runes? Who created/used them? Do they have any powers or greater significance? As always, thanks in advance.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  12:24:22  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message
Salutations Lady Hood,

If I may be so bold as to ask thee a question.

It may have been asked before but it regards Whisper the Zhentarim Mage. It always seemed to me that there was much more to his story than was touched upon on his entry in the Original "FR Grey Box".

The brief history laid out there seemed to hint at much bigger things (him setting up independent cells answerable to him alone, sounds like he was trying to build hid own power base), stealing 2 of Mhezentuls lost rings etc. For a low level mage (he was listed as 2nd level) he seems to have caused mischief and havoc out of all proportion to his own personal power. I'm reading between the lines here but was he low level nemesis of the fledgling Knights? Or am i reading to much into this?

TIA

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000