Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  21:56:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, Wooly dear, Lord Keeper Of My Leash. (purrr)

“One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta” was published as a chapbook in 2000, as a giveaway at GenCon that year (that was in the days of only one annual GenCon, in Milwaukee). It’s a reprint (with intro by Jeff Grubb) of Ed’s 1987 (very minor) revision of his original Realms story from 1967 or so. This story was available on the WotC website as a free download for some years.

“A Dance In Storm’s Garden” was a VERY limited-run chapbook published in 2003, as a special story for a fan. It’s an original Realms short-short tale, and for now, at least, must remain a hard-to-get collectible.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  22:13:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A postscript to the above:
Every copy of THE BAKKA ANTHOLOGY was signed by all of the contributors, I believe, and several of Ed’s tales have won Honorable Mentions in the annual YEARS BEST FANTASY & HORROR anthologies edited by Ellen Datlow & Teri Windling:
“The Witch of the Dawn” in the 14th Annual anthology (covers 2000)
“One Last, Little Revenge” in the 15th Annual anthology (covers 2001)
and:
“O Silent Knight of Cards” in the 16th Annual anthology (covers 2002)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29649 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  23:23:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, Wooly dear, Lord Keeper Of My Leash. (purrr)

“One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta” was published as a chapbook in 2000, as a giveaway at GenCon that year (that was in the days of only one annual GenCon, in Milwaukee). It’s a reprint (with intro by Jeff Grubb) of Ed’s 1987 (very minor) revision of his original Realms story from 1967 or so. This story was available on the WotC website as a free download for some years.

“A Dance In Storm’s Garden” was a VERY limited-run chapbook published in 2003, as a special story for a fan. It’s an original Realms short-short tale, and for now, at least, must remain a hard-to-get collectible.
love to all,
THO

Thank you for that info, O leashed and lovely Lady.

Now, how to properly reward you...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Blind Ranger
Seeker

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  05:18:14  Show Profile  Visit The Blind Ranger's Homepage  Send The Blind Ranger an AOL message Send The Blind Ranger a Private Message
I'm curious if Ed can provide any information on the music of the Realms, in particular if symphonies are at all seen or heard playing (in Waterdeep perhaps?) Also, if a sort of classical music does exist, how would it sound, for instance, would it sound like Mozart, or some other such famous composer's work? I have a player who is curious about this, and wishes to make it a part of his character. Many thanks!

-The Blind Ranger

I see what I need when my sight is not enough.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  05:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
Hail & Well Met Hooded One,

I come in supplication with a couple of curious questions for Mr Greenwood.
Firstly: are there or have there ever been any "good" Liches in the Realms?
Secondly: How would Eilistraee & her cult feel/react to a male drow necromancer who converted to the faith but still wished to become a Lich?
I understand that Eilistraee has necromancy within her spheres of magic but Lichdom is a very extreme step to take and as a DM, I'd view it as not a "good" act.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Your (occasionally ) humble Paladin of Torm,
Talwyn

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  06:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

are there or have there ever been any "good" Liches in the Realms?

If you're using just the Monster Manual, then there's no such thing as a good lich. If, however, you have Monsters of Faerun, you have that option. The typical good lich in the Realms is an archlich. If the base creature is elven, though, then it's a baelnorn.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for actual names, then I'll leave it for Mr. Greenwood to answer. I can't remember names, and I'm positive that I haven't seen them all anyway. (I do know there's an archlich somewhere by the Dales and Myth Drannor, and there are rumors of baelnorns still protecting areas of that elven ruin.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29649 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  06:39:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

are there or have there ever been any "good" Liches in the Realms?

If you're using just the Monster Manual, then there's no such thing as a good lich. If, however, you have Monsters of Faerun, you have that option. The typical good lich in the Realms is an archlich. If the base creature is elven, though, then it's a baelnorn.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for actual names, then I'll leave it for Mr. Greenwood to answer. I can't remember names, and I'm positive that I haven't seen them all anyway. (I do know there's an archlich somewhere by the Dales and Myth Drannor, and there are rumors of baelnorns still protecting areas of that elven ruin.)

It's not just rumor -- there was at least one baelnorn in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Ed has written of at least three archliches that I can think of, and two were in the Realms: Malithra Undra Shalrin Rallyhorn, who in life was a noblewoman of Cormyr (in the short story "Moonrise over Myth Drannor"); Lady Alathene Moonstar, proprietress of The Blushing Mermaid in Waterdeep, also a friend to that city's Lords and the Tel'Teukiira (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and a mention in Cloak & Dagger); and Sharangar Szeltune (she's the non-Realms-specific one; she was in Lost Ships, a Spelljammer supplement, which was written by Ed).

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  09:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not just rumor -- there was at least one baelnorn in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Ed has written of at least three archliches that I can think of, and two were in the Realms: Malithra Undra Shalrin Rallyhorn, who in life was a noblewoman of Cormyr (in the short story "Moonrise over Myth Drannor"); Lady Alathene Moonstar, proprietress of The Blushing Mermaid in Waterdeep, also a friend to that city's Lords and the Tel'Teukiira (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and a mention in Cloak & Dagger); and Sharangar Szeltune (she's the non-Realms-specific one; she was in Lost Ships, a Spelljammer supplement, which was written by Ed).

I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't there an archlich friend of Elminsters in Shadows of Doom also? I can't remember her name and don't have the novel with me at the moment to confirm.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:

And MoF says that there are several. I just wanted to say rumors. Sounds more mysterious, and also (as Mr. Greenwood has pointed out) more flexible for the Dungeon Master.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  12:33:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Ed has written of at least three archliches that I can think of, and two were in the Realms: Malithra Undra Shalrin Rallyhorn, who in life was a noblewoman of Cormyr (in the short story "Moonrise over Myth Drannor");

Refresh my memory Wooly, where do I find this short story?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  14:13:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Refresh my memory Wooly, where do I find this short story?

-- George Krashos

From this link, you can apparently find it in a computer game.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
George, Ed's story was in the 1993 IBM (4 HD) diskette first release (by SSI) of the EYE OF THE BEHOLDER III ASSAULT ON MYTH DRANNOR, but not in the later Interplay "Archives Silver Edition" Forgotten Realms Archives Volume 1 compilation DOS CD-ROM.
Specifically, it occupies about the first third (26 pages) of the paperback game "Rule Book" (of course ), part number 511591.
Hope you can find it!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29649 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  15:40:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

George, Ed's story was in the 1993 IBM (4 HD) diskette first release (by SSI) of the EYE OF THE BEHOLDER III ASSAULT ON MYTH DRANNOR, but not in the later Interplay "Archives Silver Edition" Forgotten Realms Archives Volume 1 compilation DOS CD-ROM.
Specifically, it occupies about the first third (26 pages) of the paperback game "Rule Book" (of course ), part number 511591.
Hope you can find it!
love,
THO

Yup. I don't have the game and have never played it, but thru an odd chain of "hey, let me borrow this from you" requests, the book came to my hands and wound up residing there.

Beautiful Lady, do you think there's any chance we could get a web-based copy of "A Dance In Storm’s Garden" for this site? Ed has many fans here, and I know we'd like to read that tale... Thanks to the goodness of some of the scribes here, we've tracked down "One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta", so it'd be great to have the other tale to accompany it.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  15:46:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem, Wooly, remember I said I couldn’t say any more re. the chapbooks? So all I can reply to your question is, I’m afraid: no.
Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29649 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  16:41:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Ahem, Wooly, remember I said I couldn’t say any more re. the chapbooks? So all I can reply to your question is, I’m afraid: no.
Sorry.
love,
THO

D'oh! Well, it was worth a try.

I wonder if this means it's soon to be re-published...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  16:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Of "Where Only Madmen Hide" I find no sign online.

Music: see "Music of the Forgotten Realms" (Dragon #123). No symphonies, I believe, in the modern sense.

Archliches first saw print in SJR1 Lost Ships. We saw Saharel of Spellgard in FR13 and FOR4 and Shadows of Doom. (They seem to be physically/magically identical to liches, except that human blood etc. isn't used in the lichnee process.)

The first Realms story is still accessible via archive.org:
"Heralding Ed Greenwood"
"One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta"

Edited by - Faraer on 27 Oct 2004 18:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  22:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Hope you can find it!
love,
THO

*Smirk*

It would have been delciously ironic if Bioware had put Eds story into one of the Books you could read in the Baldurs Gate game

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  23:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Unfortunately, the copyright of "Moonrise Over Myth Drannor" may have been owned by SSI, and thence whoever got SSI, thus stopping either Interplay or WotC from using it...
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  00:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
Greetins once more Hooded One and everyone else,

as I understand it then, an Archlich (human) is "good" as well as Baelorns (elven)?

Getting back to my second question: how would the Eilistraeen faithful feel about a male drow necromancer wanting to achieve Baelornhood? Would they try to persuade him otherwise or think that this would be useful having something of that level of power about to protect and serve the temple that it would be based in?

Thanks again to all who have chimed in with interesting information.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  03:17:46  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The first Realms story is still accessible via archive.org:
"One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta"

Have my thanks, Faraer, for your diligent searching.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  03:31:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring the latest words of Ed, thus:

Hail, Talwyn! As fellow scribes have already pointed out and listed, yes, there are ‘good’ liches in the Realms (archliches if human, baelnorn if elven). Their existence is tied to my answer to your second question.
A ‘good’ lich desires lichdom not for selfish purposes (to cheat death, or win time to finish magical work for personal satisfaction, power, or satisfaction), and not merely for revenge (“Last of the Haukren, I will abide beyond death, working tirelessly to bring about the doom of House Tannalar, until the accursed Tannalar are driven from these my family lands and exterminated where’er they swagger, to be but a forgotten name in old texts and no longer the stain on the land they now are!”).
A good lich desires to exist beyond normal mortal lifespan to protect and defend a person, family, treasure, item, place, written records or lore FOR A WIDER GOOD (for the benefit of many, or as a guardian to prevent the unleashing of something harmful before its unleashing becomes truly needful).
So if your drow male necromancer has an avowed purpose or mission requiring lichdom for its successful performance, the priestesses of the Dark Dancer will overcome their natural distaste for unlife and its deliberate seeking, and their wary regard for male drow converts, and accept the character’s desire.
Note this well, however: the purpose or mission must be life-consuming (literally, right? :}); in other words, it’s the character’s primary goal, overriding everything else. This USUALLY means a character that is best ‘retired,’ as there won’t be much opportunity for adventuring for that character, henceforth. (In other words, we don’t all get to guard artifacts that are conveniently stolen and whisked around the world so we have to spend years giving chase and fighting the folks who now possess the artifact.)
The clergy of Eilistraee will magically look into the character’s mind, and make VERY certain there’s no deception on the character’s part, the character isn’t under any magical compulsions, and the character’s er, ‘character’ means they can’t change their mind or ‘fall away’ from their mission after attaining lichdom.
The goal of: “I want to exist for centuries more than I would normally have done so because I’m a necromancer and so mastering lichdom would be the ultimate achievement for me, and it will also allow me to have centuries upon centuries to study and experiment with magic, so as to grow very powerful as a servant of Eilistraee AND perhaps even devise some new spells, which of course I’d freely share for the benefit of all servants of the Dark Dancer!” is NOT an acceptable, selfless goal, it’s merely a “I wanna be the best, oh, and here’re my rationalizations as to why you should allow it” argument.
Most baelnorn, for example, sacrificed a LOT to enter their lichnee state (giving up happy and active lives, social prominence, mobility and close enjoyment of nature, and so so). Their preservation of family vaults, treasures, and lore wasn’t really about maintaining family pride and power, it was about preserving things a beleaguered race and culture could use for its survival and improvement in the ages ahead.
So only in such specific circumstances is striving to attain lichdom an acceptable act to the Church of Eilistraee. The word of the character isn’t going to be trusted -- it’s going to be the desire of the goddess herself to make certain of the character’s innermost nature and intent, and so senior clergy will make VERY certain. If the character resists or disputes any of that process, it’s a “falling away from Eilistraee,” with appropriate treatment by the dancing priestesses.

Hello again to the Blind Ranger. Faraer has pointed out the lore reference already. Let me just add some mentions of real-world pieces of music that can be used to try to evoke or imagine the ‘sound’ of some Faerunian music.
Minstrels usually play lutes and harps, using bells, foot-stamping, sometimes sticks (the wooden equivalent of ‘spoons,’ played for rhythm against one’s knee or thigh), and occasionally ‘pipes’ (handmade hollowed wooden instruments closer to what we would call penny-whistles or even kazoos than pan pipes or flutes) when travelling from inn to tavern, entertaining with ballads.
A strong voice (such as that possessed by Maddy Prior) is prized in such work, and the Steeleye Span renditions of the folk standards “The Prickly Bush” on their CD entitled TIME, “The King” on PLEASE TO SEE THE KING, and “Who Am I?” from Maddy Prior’s solo disc FLESH & BLOOD are good ‘general examples’ of what most good ballad singing would sound like.
Listen past the lyrics to the tune and musical performance of Jake Thackray’s “Isobel Makes Love On National Monuments” to hear the rhythm and sound of a ‘standard’ tune a minstrel night set topical ribald words to (‘jokes of the day’ singing).
More typical (Dock Ward ‘low-tavern’) singing would sound closer to Ben Jonson’s “Paggington’s Pound” as performed by The Musicians of Swanne Alley on the CD entitled IN THE STREETS AND THEATRES OF LONDON/Elizabethan Ballads and Theatre Music, or Ann & Nancy Wilson’s rendition of “My Thing Is My Own” on THE RENAISSANCE ALBUM.
Moving up a rung, “Dawn of the Day” from Steeleye Span’s TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT and “Reynardine” from Maddy Prior’s ARTHUR THE KING are good examples of what intimate balladry performed for high-paying patrons (nobles in Waterdeep or Cormyr, in their parlors or private chambers) sounds like.
Monastic religious singing in the Realms is usually plainsong chanting, often accompanied by instruments playing a ‘drone’ (long-held notes, somewhat akin to real-world Gregorian chant when accompanied by lone organ notes). A good example of this can be heard on the CD entitled SALVE REGINA by the Benedictine Monks of the Abbey of Saint-Maurice & Saint-Maur, Clervaux. At its most gentle and elaborate (the clergy of Eldath, for instance), such performances sound very close to Enya’s “Isobella” (most easily found now on the ONLY TIME 4-CD collection).
Revels hosted by the wealthy in Waterdeep, Cormyr, Sembia, Amn, and Tethyr tend to employ lutists (alone or two lutists in duet). Try Paul O’Dette’s ROBIN IS TO THE GREENWOOD GONE disc for a taste of the general ‘feel’ of this. Those who hear the Peter Sellers comedic rendition of the Beatles “A Hard Day’s Night” and listen past the vocal to the musical accompaniment will hear what the grandest instrumental pieces played for the wealthy sound like.
Most upper-class revel or court dance music sounds VERY close to Terry Tucker’s “Overture To The Sun” on the soundtrack of the movie CLOCKWORK ORANGE.
The closest thing to symphonic music heard in the Realms are the triumphal marches and court pieces, and one cinematic piece captures their sound closely, EXCEPT that in the Realms you’d not hear as much ‘swirling strings’ carrying the rising melody (it would be sung or played with horns): “Promise Me” from Jerry Goldsmith’s soundtrack for the movie FIRST KNIGHT. Realms fans who attended Azoun’s funeral at GenCon some years back may recall this last piece as our processional music on that sad occasion.
I should contrast such glorious grandeur with the work song or soldiers’ march, which often sounds very like “Rogues In A Nation” from the Steeleye Span PARCEL OF ROGUES disc.
Please note that I’m not just giving you personal ‘evoke a mood’ favourites (or I’d be sneaking in Clannad, some of the Excalibur soundtrack, a lot of the LOTR movie trilogy soundtrack, and divers Jethro Tull and Genesis pieces), I’m trying to communicate the overall character of music in the Realms as I’ve imagined it down the years. I hope this helps.

So saith Ed. I know he owns all of this music; he’s played it often down the years, usually as ‘background sound’ before and after play sessions, and during our ‘chips, chip-dip, tea and chatter’ break. So if scribes want label and catalogue number information, I’m sure I can poke him into spitting it out. Ed has a huge, eclectic musical collection, by the way. He’s perhaps the only man I know whose house I can walk through and hear, as I pass from room to room (playing QUIETLY on separate music systems), Brahms, Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, Flanders & Swann, the Kipper Family, Barenaked Ladies, Pink Floyd, Blackmore’s Night, ELO, Procol Harum, John Fahey & His Orchestra, Rush, the soundtrack of Brideshead Revisited, and half a dozen medieval and renaissance instrumentalists.
Yes, he has that many rooms in his house. And books in ALL of them.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  05:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
Warmest thanks Hooded One for that very detailed reply.
It is greatly appreciated

I look forward to putting forward further questions on realms lore in the future.
Be well

Talwyn

EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  06:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Yes, he has that many rooms in his house. And books in ALL of them.
To underscore this point, one of my most amusing memories from this year's GenCon was Ed instructing an industry personality (Ed Stark, interestingly enough) on how to find more space for books in the house. Apparently, books can go under the bed, behind paintings hung on movable wall fronts, in the salad crisper... okay, not actually inside the refridgerator, but I think you get the idea. The man has books, and his books have books. As soon as Ed finds a book small enough to fit the heel of his shoe, you can be sure he'll also be finding a way to hollow it out for storage.
Go to Top of Page

The Blind Ranger
Seeker

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  08:30:18  Show Profile  Visit The Blind Ranger's Homepage  Send The Blind Ranger an AOL message Send The Blind Ranger a Private Message
A thousand thanks and as many bows to He Of The Greenwood for your response on music and such in the Realms.

And just for fun, what would be the three most interesting and/or pivotal events in Realms history that you could see yourself living during those times? Oh, and why?

From a fellow Realms advocate of going-on 10 years and a DM of half that time,
The Blind Ranger

I see what I need when my sight is not enough.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  08:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
And the only title I recognize in there (since A Hard Day's Night doesn't actually count on that list, nor the favorites that Mr. Greenwood "didn't sneak in" at the end ) is Salve Regina. I can actually sing (badly, of course) the opener to that title song. It's my mother's favorite Gregorian CD. Not, of course, to be played anywhere near my father, brother, or sister . . . apparently it's something a bare shade better than nails on a blackboard to them.

There's another instrument from Celtic Ireland that produces this wonderful, soulful drone. I saw it on a DVD (In Search of Ancient Ireland) I got for Christmas last year. I forget the name of it, but it's a large horn-like instrument originally made of brass. Not very portable, but it would be good for temples or monasteries.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000