Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  05:17:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
One can (or used to be able to) magic jar some traget and control the body. This left no imprint on them, there is no reason to infer a diety taking over a body to leave an imprint at all. The basic premise fails of being divine possessed would make somebody Chosen.

What I see is gee a cute idea, maybe we should have other gods do it as well.

The Seven Sisters clearly have a spart of the divine, because of Goddess intent. The others chosen by her do not have that just have a special blessing, at least how I read it.

It is reported that Bane foresaw his death (heard this story before) so in order to survive selected Chosen (by placing a little of himself) so that he would not die a final death, Best I can tell most of the other Chosen are just ones that the deity smiles on with no devine connection.
Further there certainly are more Chosn of dieties then were trapped on Troil during the ToT.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  05:56:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Having the Divine power of an Avatar inside your body would have a far more significant impact than a mere spell.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  06:21:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Having the Divine power of an Avatar inside your body would have a far more significant impact than a mere spell.

Perhaps, however following that logic all dieties would need to have one Chosen, that were forced to the prime plane. I have not seen that yet.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  06:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Perhaps, however following that logic all dieties would need to have one Chosen, that were forced to the prime plane. I have not seen that yet.

At the moment we dont have ANY reason for the sudden appearance of large numbers of chosen. It is now a fact that there are 20-30 Chosen of various gods in Faerun, My theory provides a reason WHY there are now alot more.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  13:35:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Theories are nice and perhaps might even prove out, just do not see it fitting all of the Chosen. It certainly could help explain the increasing numbers of them.
I would propose another theory. Seeing some dieties have Chosen other ones decided they should have some also. This would follow the race creation template, first there were Elves, then some other gods decided to make thier own races. It time we will learn the answer, perhaps.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  18:22:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Can we move the Chosen debate to another scroll please. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  02:57:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Milil, I relayed your questions to Ed. Here follows his reply (permission is of course granted to you, to quote anything or everything Ed says here, for your academic needs):

Do you play D&D?: Yes.

If you do play how (if at all) does the gaming experience affect your writing?: Gaming informs and enriches my fiction writing, and has done from the moment I started playing Dungeons & Dragons (the game was published some years after I’d created and was well along the endless road of detailing the Realms). Dungeon Masters must continually paint word-pictures of locations, characters, and events the PCs are witnessing, and doing so in play makes me aware of how best to quickly and clearly explain something or bring a moment to life.

Do you use the sourcebooks for ideas on characters/settings/abilities, etc?: I refer to the sourcebooks often, but usually I’m checking established facts and PRECISELY what’s been said about a person, thing, or place. Ideas may arise when I read the sourcebooks, but that happens while I’m writing them or reviewing the raw text of not-yet-published books written by others for Realmslore continuity, not after they’re published.

Do you look at characters and have their abilities fit within the framework of the character classes and progression as outlined in the various sourcebooks?: Yes and no. Many Realms characters were established in my mind and short stories before the D&D game was published, and fleshed out in game terms in my ‘home’ Realms D&D campaign before sourcebooks got around to detailing them. More than a few characters have changed, not just ‘within the game setting’ as events age them and impart experience, but as new editions of the rules have been released and character statistics altered to fit. As a result of this latter problem, in particular, I’ve “learned the heard way” not to be game-specific in print (as much as possible). I seldom write combat-heavy narratives wherein action specifically hinges on rules details, being far more interested in character interaction and development, and intrigue.

Did the release of the 3rd edition affect your decisions as a writer or affect the material that you wanted to write about?: As a game writer, yes. It interrupted (some might say ‘derailed’) my Grand Not-So-Hidden Plan to detail all geographical areas of the Realms in small-focus regional sourcebooks, and it transformed a game system I knew well enough to ‘think in terms of’ into a game system I had to relearn and think ABOUT as I was writing. As a fiction writer, it handed me a few ‘Okay, wise one, now explain away THIS’ matters, but by and large only raised troubles by making far more of my original Realms titles and collective terms politically incorrect (“I don’t care if she’s been Dimpleknees the Sorceress since 1968, Ed, we call them sorcerERs now!”) than earlier rules changes and editions had done.

Did the release of 3rd edition affect your sales in any way?: Yes and no. Sales of the game line soared, but at the same time more and more games (including video and computer, even online) are competing for the time and money of gamers, and so are increasing numbers of fantasy fiction writers. Print runs in general are shrinking across the industry, because that pie is being carved into ever-smaller slices by an increasing number of hungry pie-cutters.

How did working on developing the game system affect your writing or approach to writing?: Down the years, as the writer of large numbers of both game and fiction publications, I am increasingly aware of the needs for game balance and full, clear explanations, and the competing need of the fiction writer to entertain and often leave some matters mysterious, or left to readers to apply varying interpretations (often so that through such speculation they’ll be ‘hungry for more’). I cling to the principle that the Realms must above all be consistent: I am bound by details written by others, and if I must change those details, must make such changes ‘within the game’ or ‘within the book’ and not merely at apparent whim, without explanation. The Realms brings me daily queries from creators and fans all over the world, so I am always acutely aware of the needs, plans, and dreams of others regarding the Realms, and (like a well-meaning politician, I suppose) must try to balance these or bear them in mind as I write, so as to ‘serve the common good’ as much as possible.

Mr. Greenwood, you present somewhat of a special case, being the creator of the Realms. If you could give me any insight into how being such a prominent force in the creation of the setting has affected your writing and if you had problems moving away from the FR setting when penning some of your other books I would be much appreciative.
Ed’s Reply: The Realms has taken over my life, and affected my writing greatly by taking up the majority of my time and publication opportunities, channelling my primary energies for years into spinning Realmslore. Had it not been for the Realms, I’d probably have more than a handful of mysteries and romances and childrens’ fantasy books published by now, and frequently be writing comics and minor television or Hollywood stuff. At the same time, WHAT I write about the Realms has been increasingly restricted in terms of geographic locations, characters, and even writing style by the need tto not too closely duplicate what other writers active in the Realms are doing. Terry Pratchett, for example, can go to any corner of Discworld or follow any character he wants to, in a given Discworld novel, but Ed Greenwood can’t (for example) rush into the Underdark and do a Drizzt drow Realms novel.
When writing non-Realms books, most of those restrictions fall away, and so does the check-all-the-continuity stuff (wherein I try to remember what literally hundreds of writers have mentioned in passing, over more than fifteen years of ‘lots of scribes toiling in the Realms’). I must only deal with editorial restrictions of length, format, style, and content, and be self-consistent. On the other hand, I can live, breathe, and think the Realms now, and have been able to for years, and when I venture into Darsar (the world of my Band of Four novels) or other settings, I have to step out of that easy, comfortable, “I’m at home, and my favourite chair is right over there” feeling and start creating all over again, assuming readers know nothing (and KNOWING I know nothing!).
I hope this helps. Feel free to post followup queries here if you need additional specific answers, and I’ll do my best to give you useful replies.
Ed Greenwood

So saith The Father of the Realms. Who was staggeringly busy with local library board, ratepayer association, family Christmas, library employment, library Christmas, and (oh yes) Realms writing obligations, when he sent me this. May Santa send you a dozen extra hours in every day, darling Weirdbeard, in 2005 and every year thereafter!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  04:33:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

May Santa send you a dozen extra hours in every day, darling Weirdbeard, in 2005 and every year thereafter!
love to all,
THO

I'll echo this part... Except for calling Ed "darling." I'll leave that one up to our lovely and flirtatious Lady.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  15:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
LOL! Gotta tell you this one, from a librarian who attended the big annual American Library Association convention in Orlando this year. Ed Greenwood was a guest of honor/speaker at the behest of Tor Books (publisher of his Band of Four fantasies). Peter Archer of WotC was there, too, representing WotC in the trade show.
They ran into each other in the busy front lobby of the con center, and Ed calls, “Darling!” and throws his arms wide. So Mr. Archer calls back, “Snookums!” and they embrace. And a butch librarian, stomping past, snaps at them, “Get a room, fellas!”
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  20:05:15  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
Greetings all,

Another question for Ed or THO,

Are drow considered welcome in Silverymoon? The Silver Marches book states...."The prevailing spells of Silverymoon's wards are known to include: antipathy to all evil-aligned demons, devils, dragons, drow, duergar, giants, goblinoids, mind flayers, orcs..." but also goes on to state "All except drow are welcome in the Gem of the North...". Alas, some confusion. Are just evil drow shunned or all? I also seem to recall Drizzt visited Silverymoon and walked freely there.

Again, my thanks

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  23:10:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Got distracted so you might have recived an answer. My take on the question is that Drow as a race is not welcomed most places on the surface, a few visiting watched closely certainly can be tolorated as traders and most likely do have a hiddn presence in most cities.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  02:21:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed tackles the matter of “Dargoth’s dragons” this time:

Dargoth, you and George between you have nailed down the copper dragon locales west of the Dragonreach and south of the Moonsea. The Dales are pretty well scoured out (thanks to Zhent and Cult of the Dragon activities, and lots of warfare in recent decades) of copper dragons right now, what with the Thunder Peaks harbouring other sorts of wyrms.
If neither Glen nor the Desertsmouth Mtns will do, I’m afraid your PCs will have to look as far afield as the (foothills of the) Earthspur Mountains bordering the Vast, and the Orsraun Mountains, nigh Starmantle. I can’t see much more than eggs and a few dragon hatchlings (in human or other custody and hiding) being found in the eastern dales, just now. (I am of course assuming your campaign isn’t currently featuring The Rage, or the many armies in the field of the unfolding The Last Mythal trilogy.) However, the simple use of a gate (3e portal) can whisk that PC sorcerer to a copper dragon lair elsewhere in Faerûn. If you’re feeling really generous, you could even give him the means to get whisked back home again. :}

So saith Ed. Who hasn’t forgotten the platters of other waiting Realmslore requests, and promises to deal with them all, eventually. (If he lives so long!)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  02:49:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all.
If you’re feeling really generous, you could even give him the means to get whisked back home again. :}

Hi there *S*

Err a two way portal, it appeared to me that at least some were one way. As the gods will of course or other magics could be used.

You have been kind in posting replies to questions and some appear to believe I have perhaps not properly asked questions in this thread. I now ask some questions. Some of which may not be answered. I will try to ask only a few.

The 10th level spells not being the same as Epic spells concerning that ban? (short version if at all, my quick answer would be they are 9.5 spells *wink* )

That Shar also banned 10th level spells?
If so does Shar grant, or allow her followers to use, Epic spells?

Can Chosen be killed? (this not deity related)

How many Chosen are there?

Do all deities have a Chosen?

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  04:44:08  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by zeathiel

Greetings all,

Are drow considered welcome in Silverymoon? The Silver Marches book states...."The prevailing spells of Silverymoon's wards are known to include: antipathy to all evil-aligned demons, devils, dragons, drow, duergar, giants, goblinoids, mind flayers, orcs..." but also goes on to state "All except drow are welcome in the Gem of the North...". Alas, some confusion. Are just evil drow shunned or all? I also seem to recall Drizzt visited Silverymoon and walked freely there.

Drizzt can roam around quite a bit in the North, thanks to his well known reputation. If he can walk the streets of Waterdeep, I think he can wander Silverymoon without a major problem. Especially since he's a friend of Lady Alustriel's.

Now, are there lots of Eilistrean Drow wandering Silverymoon? Probably not. Regrettably, the followers of the Dark Maiden don't have the sort of widespread good reputation ol' Drizzt enjoys. It's also easier for people to believe an occasional rare drow may turn good, than it is to believe that a whole bunch of them are roaming around.

Plus, while King Bruenor will speak for Drizzt, no other dwarves are speaking for any other drow. Remember that the Silver Marches have several dwarven realms. Would the rulers of those realms trust Alustriel much if she let drow roam her city in numbers? Ah, I think not! :)

- S

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  05:21:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Can Chosen be killed? (this not deity related)

Sure, look at Syluné.

quote:

How many Chosen are there?

For Mystra, a bunch (a dozen, I think). For the other deities, too many!

quote:

Do all deities have a Chosen?

Sweet mother, let's not give them ideas!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  06:49:36  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Pardon me for not reading 77 page but is Ed still working on that Knight trilogy or has that been pushed back for something else?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  09:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed,

1) Could You provide me with any info on recent events concerning the Blacktalons Mercenary Company? And one more thing. In "Gold & Glory" sourcebook it is said that Khosann, the leader of the company, has somehow overthrown the former leader. What was the former leader's name and what were the circumstances of this happening?
2) Could You give some more info on Bloodaxe Mercenary Company? Especially about their history, the names of the four living dwarfs that belonged to the company when it was formed and remain with it to this day and how are the Bloodaxes going on nowadays in Sundabar.

Edited by - Verghityax on 18 Dec 2004 16:42:48
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  15:45:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Pardon me for not reading 77 page but is Ed still working on that Knight trilogy or has that been pushed back for something else?

Yes, unless something has changed, that novel is one of the projects he's currently working on.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  21:49:17  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Yes, unless something has changed, that novel is one of the projects he's currently working on.

That's good to hear. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  22:19:05  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simontrinity

quote:
Originally posted by zeathiel

Greetings all,

Are drow considered welcome in Silverymoon?

Drizzt can roam around quite a bit in the North, thanks to his well known reputation. If he can walk the streets of Waterdeep, I think he can wander Silverymoon without a major problem. Especially since he's a friend of Lady Alustriel's.

Now, are there lots of Eilistrean Drow wandering Silverymoon? Probably not. Regrettably, the followers of the Dark Maiden don't have the sort of widespread good reputation ol' Drizzt enjoys. It's also easier for people to believe an occasional rare drow may turn good, than it is to believe that a whole bunch of them are roaming around.

Well only better I can do is offer sites like this: http://www.gemofthenorth.org/netbook/appendix3.html

" There are also rumors of Dark Ladies who celebrate their goddess, Eilistraee, under the moonlight in the wilds around Silverymoon."

Pefering not to be killed, often the followers of the good Goddess are low key, they also would more likely be found in out laying forests and tunnels then often in the city.

Edited by - Kentinal on 21 Dec 2004 09:11:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  03:51:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. To PDK, Ed speaks thus:

You’re welcome! Regarding your perception of the ‘races of men:’ I’d say that VISIBLE “psionically gifted humans, elves, etc. are very rare in the Realms.”
Many, many more individuals have weak, feeble wild talents (that SOMETIMES allow them a few seconds of feather fall, or seeing invisible creatures, or anticipating what’s going to be attempted by others in the next combat round; to paraphrase CHEF: “that sort of thing”) but very much fear to reveal their powers to others, and will literally only dare to try to use them in life-threatening situations. So, yes, as you conclude, psionically-gifted humans “should be treated as individual/unique creatures when encountered.”

So saith Ed, who is so busy right now that even I (who know him and his busy-ness well) am awed.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  06:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Hmmm... Hooded One, that makes me wonder if I should even ask this right now. But it is a detail that I have sudden need of and it can't really wait due to oh, so demanding players.

Cartographers in Suzail: who are they and where are they? What is the likely extent of their wares and are they under any crown restrictions? If you can answer it from your PC's experiences without bothering good old Uncle Wierdbeard while he's so busy: so be it. I'd be happy with useful intel from either of you... ;)

Thanks Much,

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  07:14:08  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. To PDK, Ed speaks thus:
-------------------
You’re welcome! Regarding your perception of the ‘races of men:’ I’d say that VISIBLE “psionically gifted humans, elves, etc. are very rare in the Realms.”
Many, many more individuals have weak, feeble wild talents (that SOMETIMES allow them a few seconds of feather fall, or seeing invisible creatures, or anticipating what’s going to be attempted by others in the next combat round; to paraphrase CHEF: “that sort of thing”) but very much fear to reveal their powers to others, and will literally only dare to try to use them in life-threatening situations. So, yes, as you conclude, psionically-gifted humans “should be treated as individual/unique creatures when encountered.”
-------------------
So saith Ed, who is so busy right now that even I (who know him and his busy-ness well) am awed.
love to all,
THO
Most excellent!

So my final question would come down to this: what do we have more in the Realms -- psionically gifted "wild talents" or Spellfire channelers?

(and to be completely annoying, what would you say their respective ratio would be, say, in a town of 5,000 men? -- i.e. would you see it as 4 wild talents per 1000 pop; 0.5 spellfire user per 1000 pop? -- what's more common in the Realms: people who have unexplainable bone-setting skills through Spellfire healing and/or mystical monks that "glow in the night", their fists imbued with Spellfire; OR people who have weird, unique powers derived from psionic inner gifts?)

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 19 Dec 2004 07:16:41
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  01:37:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. To Imvarda "Beal" Vodu, Ed saith:

I’m very sorry, but all of your very good and proper requests about Szass Tam’s background must remain unanswered by me right now, for NDA reasons. He does feature in some Realms fiction, and I do hope to enlighten you more in future. I just can’t do so right now, for WotC legal reasons.

However, to Wooly Rupert, Ed is able to impart a trifle more:

I trust that other scroll you refer to has discussed St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred? (Based on Ed Sollars, a real TSR employee who was “at the imperiled end of the line” every time the company was forced to enact layoffs. Not included in the Realms by me, BTW, and my spelling of his surname might be incorrect.)
Wooly, I have followed a strict personal policy of never introducing real people by name into the Realms. Characters played by real people, yes, of course (most of the Knights of Myth Drannor and the Company of Crazed Venturers, plus a scattering of others from my various library campaigns, not to mention all the NPCs I’ve portrayed around gaming tables, down the years). That’s not to say other writers haven’t done this, without my knowledge; you’ll have to ask them.
Personalities of real people finding their way into characters in the Realms, now, is something I do all the time - - but never wholesale. In other words, I NEVER take a real person and ‘give them a Realms name and appearance’ to create a Realms NPC. Instead, as all writers do, I observe real people talking, acting, and otherwise living in the real world around me and take a pinch of this way of speaking here, a whiff of that beauty there, a peck of this world-view or opinion, and so on, mixing and matching many little ingredients of many real people to ‘make real’ individuals I create (imagine).

So saith Ed, Bearer Not of the True Word but of many true words.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baalster
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  10:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Baalster's Homepage Send Baalster a Private Message
On my favourite subject, Moonsea (and surrounding areas):
There was some great write-ups on the two cities of Melvaunt and Thentia, first in Polyhedron magazine, then in the Moonsea sourcebook.

As a scribe always hungry for more, I would like to see more information about the shady side of those two cities ? Thieves guild. With that much trade going through the two cities, surely someone wants a cut of the action. Smuggling operations, cooperations with other groups in the area and elsewhere.

With best wishes for the upcoming holidays to everyone,
Baalster

The North is indeed as they say in the Vilhon Reach - a land of "hard, brutal men in leather and furs who swing overhasty swords."
Go to Top of Page

Borch
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  21:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Borch's Homepage Send Borch a Private Message
Greetings,

here comes another request for the ever-busy Ed, on certain buildings in Baldur's Gate and their inhabitants.

What can be told aout the following:

The Waterqueen's House and its staff.

The Hall of the Lady and its staff.

The Seatower of Balduran.

The Black Dragon Gate (are there names for the other gates, why is it named the wy it is)

Manycoinshouse and the Merchants League of the Gate.

That's it, and enough at it it seems, I'm already fearing that three letters, NDA.

To end this, a final, and different question for Ed:

When answering these requests, just how much of the answers come from memories. If an answer can't be given in this way, what do you do? Do you litterally plunge into your cellar-full-of-Reamslore and search until you find waht is needed or do you make it up most of the time?

Was just thinking about this, so I felt like asking...

Thanx again to Ed and THO and happy holidays to all

Sprich aus der Ferne,
heimliche Welt,
die sich so selten
zu mir gesellt
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  23:51:29  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Four questions for MR. Greenwood...

1)If I were to pay you a stinking lot of money to create a campaign world and novels on a setting that wasn't a traditional fantasy RPG, what would be the top three settings you would like to create for an RPG?
2)If you could have any collection of superpowers, whither as a hero or villain, what would they be?
3) If a televison like device was introduced to the realms (Or you were paided to do a comedy articule for an April issue of Dragon on the same idea), what shows do you think would be popular? I love Eliminster?
4)It can be said that you have a strong connection to Eliminster. I'm curious as to which other characters you have a strong bond to? Especially the darker and/or eviler characters?

Thanks, I hope that I haven't bother you, but have brought some entertainment.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  00:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

1)If I were to pay you a stinking lot of money to create a campaign world and novels on a setting that wasn't a traditional fantasy RPG, what would be the top three settings you would like to create for an RPG?
2)If you could have any collection of superpowers, whither as a hero or villain, what would they be?
3) If a televison like device was introduced to the realms (Or you were paided to do a comedy articule for an April issue of Dragon on the same idea), what shows do you think would be popular? I love Eliminster?
4)It can be said that you have a strong connection to Eliminster. I'm curious as to which other characters you have a strong bond to? Especially the darker and/or eviler characters?

Thanks, I hope that I haven't bother you, but have brought some entertainment.

Foxhelm, these are some WONDERFUL questions and I can't wait to hear the answers!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  00:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

*chuckle*

Buffy the Paladin of Kelemvor

Jander (the orginal Good Vampire)

Lawful and Good (An FR version of the Law and order)

CSI Waterdeep

The Chembryls (FR version of the Sopranos)

The West wing (Set in the Royal Palace in Cormyr)

Town Watch (FR version of COPS, camera crew travels around with Town watch patrols from different cities every week)

Who wants to win a Million Gold Pieces?

Survivor:Chult (Show involves 10 contestants being dropped into the middle of the Jungle of Chult, every week one person is voted out of the Jungle and is fed to the nearest hungry TRex)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  03:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
What about Monday Night MageDuels?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000