Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  08:57:56  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by zeathiel

Not sure if this has ever been addressed, but besides the Seven, Elminster, Khelben, Nouméa, and Alvaerele Tasundrym, are there any other Chosen of Mystra? If NDAs prevent specifics, is there at least confirmation that "others" exist to be named and detailed by the DM?

Symrustar Auglamyr
The Srinshee
Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
Sammaster (Past Chosen.)

I would be interested in learning what Alvaerele Tasundrym (who I wasn't familiar with), and (who I forgot about!) Symrustar Auglamyr have been/are up to. :)

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4710 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  09:39:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

One poster, Jimbo Bean, has since made a brief comment there about Ed’s misunderstanding of demihumans that puzzles me, but as yet neither Ed nor any other Realms-list member has responded to it.

Ahhh, Jimbo's only the most recent of an illustrious line of REALMS-L curmudgeons. He'll fade into the ether as all the rest did - eventually.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  11:01:37  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ahhh, Jimbo's only the most recent of an illustrious line of REALMS-L curmudgeons. He'll fade into the ether as all the rest did - eventually.

-- George Krashos

I sure did... I faded so far in that ether that I couldn't even remember where to sign up for the Realms list if I'd be tempted to do it again (and in the process devote even less time on my job search, which would be extremely bad, taking into account the time I devote here...)
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  14:22:48  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Here's a quick question for everyone who's been monitoring this thread for some time...

I seem to remember in our discussions of Manshoon and his clones that it was said one of his clones was posing as an apprentice of the Simbul. Now, WHO said this and where does this reference come from? I've looked back through this thread and through Kuje's handy word document download and i'm sure Ed himself didn't say it. Is this clone the female (perhaps spell disguised) "Masked One" from UE?

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29637 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  14:56:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

Here's a quick question for everyone who's been monitoring this thread for some time...

I seem to remember in our discussions of Manshoon and his clones that it was said one of his clones was posing as an apprentice of the Simbul. Now, WHO said this and where does this reference come from? I've looked back through this thread and through Kuje's handy word document download and i'm sure Ed himself didn't say it. Is this clone the female (perhaps spell disguised) "Masked One" from UE?

Cloak & Dagger, which originally described the Manshoon Wars, said that nine of the Manshoon clones traded secret spells to gain sanctuary with various mages of power: Larloch the Lich-King, Vimal Craumerdaun of Eshpurta, Vynmarius of Athkatla, Vizar Mohad el Fiasar of Manshaka, Tenaral of Amruthar, Vyrth of Darmshall, Halaster of Undermountain, Master of Mages Guldor Zauviir of Sshamath, and the Simbul. (page 15 of that tome)

With 3rd edition, Wizards dropped the ball, and decided that the Manshoon Wars were over and done with. Officially, the only Manshoons still around are Orbakh II in Westgate, the one in Undermountain, and the one with the Zhents. The fate of the others who had gained sanctuary is unrevealed.

Someone over on the WotC forums, in his own campaign, had the Manshoon with the Simbul enouncter a helm of opposite alignment, and a girdle of feminity, turning him into a good-aligned lady mage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  17:19:45  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Thanks Wooly, that must explain where i've seen it mentioned then.

Hmm, i do like the idea of a Manshoon clone being the Simbul's apprentice... it has the potential to mess with some PC's minds!

I do remember Ed promised us (a long time ago now) to make some suggestions of his own as to where the clones might have ended up, so THO, if he ever does have time i'd be fascinated to hear what his fiendish mind can dream up! And am i right in thinking he said that the "real" Manshoon is not the one with the Zhentarim, but still out there, quietly watching all of this happen?

Thanks again,

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  17:52:22  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simontrinity

quote:
Symrustar Auglamyr
The Srinshee
Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
Sammaster (Past Chosen.)

I would be interested in learning what Alvaerele Tasundrym (who I wasn't familiar with), and (who I forgot about!) Symrustar Auglamyr have been/are up to. :)

Alvaerele is the Silent Chosen, she's mentioned in Secrets of the Magisters, because, well, she was a Magister before being made a Chosen. She also keeps the geneology(sp?) of certain elven, human, and half-elven families and she knows where the Srinshee "sleeps."

Symrustar, well, we haven't heard much about her in 3e, nor in 2e that much. She was in Elminster in Myth Drannor, and also the Cormanthyr sourcebook. Her choker is detailed in the Player's Guide for 3.5.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Oct 2004 17:57:52
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  19:30:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed is overwhelmed with family at the moment (Canadian Thanksgiving), and with looking up lore and old publishing details for WotC, but will send me replies for you all as soon as he can. On the phone he said to say a fond hello to Steven Schend and invite him to drop in on this thread "any time, and often."
He also said, Gareth, that you remember correctly about the "real" Manshoon, and that "more will be revealed in the fullness of time."
Heh-heh.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  22:13:23  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Thanks my Lady, that particular speculation is of great interest to me and fits some of my own personal conclusions about Manshoon and his personality.

Not wanting to add to Ed's burgeoning list of Realmslore questions, but not really knowing who else to ask... Where abouts can i find out some detail about Tharsult? I only recently got hold of "City of Splendors" (an awesome piece of work, i have to say!) and it references this southern island nation as the destination of some Waterdhavian nobles in their winter months. I can't find any mention of it in my 2nd or 3rd Edition campaign settings and i'm not sure which regional product it would have appeared in to download one of those. Could you just point me in the right direction?

Many thanks once again,

GH

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  03:46:35  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

Alvaerele is the Silent Chosen, she's mentioned in Secrets of the Magisters, because, well, she was a Magister before being made a Chosen. She also keeps the geneology(sp?) of certain elven, human, and half-elven families and she knows where the Srinshee "sleeps."

Symrustar, well, we haven't heard much about her in 3e, nor in 2e that much. She was in Elminster in Myth Drannor, and also the Cormanthyr sourcebook. Her choker is detailed in the Player's Guide for 3.5.

Thanks for the information. Do you know anything about the Eternal Srinnala?

Edited by - RevJest on 10 Oct 2004 04:02:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  04:09:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring the words of Ed of the Greenwood, in reply to fourthmensch:

Hi! As you guessed, I wasn’t involved at all in the creation or development of the city of Shade and its inhabitants, nor the Shadow Weave itself. The latter came from an orphaned Birthright novel by Rich Baker, and the former were the ‘big Realms event’ for the novel line that provided the in-game coverage of the ‘bolting on’ of all of the Shadow-related material to the Realms. As you and many other Realms fans have noticed, there’s a degree of awkwardness in how the Realms and the Shadow-stuff go together.
My own personal ‘home’ Realms campaign exists primarily to entertain my long-time players. In that Realms, the original, the Time of Troubles hasn’t happened (because my players, who slid only uneasily from 1st Edition to 2nd, weren’t interested at all in what they read and saw of the Avatar trilogy or 3rd Edition, either - - and they vote on rules changes and what of the published Realms we adopt and use), and neither has Shade appeared or its inhabitants ‘returned.’
The published Realms, however, serves a wider audience, and (sometimes successfully, sometimes less so) various designers and fiction writers are always trying to describe dramatic events in the Realms and increase play possibilities for everyone: opportunities for gamers who like large-scale wars and for gamers who like subtle intrigues, gamers who like cool new villains and gamers interested in exploring new territory. Like it or dislike it, the Return of the Archwizards fiction and related game material aims at tossing some new toys onto the table.
As the father of the Realms, a part of my job is to constantly scramble all over the unfolding tapestry of the Realms, as dozens of designers and fiction writers busily work on creating their own little bits of that tapestry, and ‘tidy up.’ I tug the tapestry flat here, I weave some new little linking bits in over there, and I get out my flashlight and shine it on this hitherto neglected or unknown flap over HERE, to try to keep the whole thing alive and colourful and somehow hanging together. I’m not trying to pat myself on the head here or pose from praise like some bulging-thewed superhero: unsung Realms fans like Eric Boyd and George Krashos and Tom Costa and “Garen Thal” and Steven Schend and dozens of others do the very same thing, and so do all the other Realms designers and fiction writers besides myself, plus some very capable Realms managers at WotC.
However, in my chosen role of tapestry-unfurler, I consider it part of my stitching-together duty to allude to major nearby Realms events in my fiction, and that’s what Zlorn’s utterance is. I deliberately crafted my allusion so that a DM who doesn’t want to use Shade can, yes, “consider this to be simple hyberbole from an admittedly dubious source.”
The Lords of Darkness entry had the High Princes “divided on the question of whether to begin open hostilities or to subtly maneuver the kingdoms of the Heartlands towards destabilization” for the same reason: to leave it up to the DM. In other words, here are the toys if you want to play with them, but we’re NOT going to force you to use them.
What I’d do, personally, as a DM is to consider that the events of the Return of the Archwizards taught the High Princes that there are some VERY powerful players in the Faerun of ‘now’ (Larloch, the Chosen, Halruaa, and any number of ‘loose cannons’ like Halaster, the various Manshoons, the zulkirs of Thay, the sharn, and so on: they haven’t even really run up against the Malaugrym yet, or the elven power groups that Rich Baker is exploring in The Last Mythal trilogy) that it would only be prudent to learn more about before lashing out. Moreover, some of the High Princes are wise enough to know that when one is as powerful as they are, and reaches out to seize something desirable, it’s often all too easily to unintentionally destroy what one is trying to grasp.
Therefore, a majority of the High Princes want to learn a lot more about the Heartlands before initiating any open hostilities. Besides, they derive a lot of entertainment from deft infiltration and manipulation, and all of the processes of establishing spy and agent networks. This allows a DM to use Shadovar influence as much or as little as he or she wants, whereas going the other commits a DM to plunging much of Faerun into cataclysmic war.
So, a FEW of the Shadovar might be impatient to lash out and smite and conquer, and there might be instances of them sneaking out and doing so (therefore, to answer your question directly: yes, it’s possible they’re doing both), but the governing policy of Shade, for now, is to learn all about the current societies of of the Heartlands and lay the groundwork for subtly maneuvering the Heartland realms into chaos or Shadovar takeover (probably through puppet regimes rather than open conquest).
So in MY Realms, if Shade had appeared and things had progressed to ‘now,’ the Shadovar would be subverting creatures to be their agents (or installing beings loyal to them or even of their own lower ranks) within the Zhentarim, the Red Wizards, the Harpers, the War Wizards of Cormyr, various Sembian merchant cabals and families, nobility in various lands and city-states, a dozen other power groups, and in ruling courts all over the Heartlands. Not that PCs would know this until they stumbled over something that left the awful truth in their laps, and Shadovar agents closing in on them eager to wipe them out before they could share this truth with anyone - - and no one else believing them.
Years of fun (you’ll just have to imagine my wolfish grin, here, okay?)
Ed

So saith the Master. Myself, I’d just like to thank fourthmensch (NOT!) for putting such ideas into Ed’s head. As if he doesn’t have enough punishment thought up for us already!

THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  04:18:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Gerath Hoan,
All I can do is point you in the direction of the WotC website and counsel patience. Ed provided some details of Tharsult over a year ago, now, for posting thereon, but I seem to recall him mentioning Eric Boyd having some Realmslore need for same. If Eric the Much-Read reads this, perhaps he could provide us with more information.
Eric?
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  04:51:34  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

The Srinshee? She's in Elminster in Myth Drannor and she also makes an appearance in Elminster in Hell. The rest of her info is in Cormanthyr:Empire of the Elves and The Fall of Myth Drannor.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  10:59:27  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

quote:

The Srinshee?

No, I know who the Srinshee is. Well, I know what most of us know about her anyway I imagine. I was referring to a secret (?) organization of elves that are somehow involved with her, and that existed before the fall of Myth Drannor.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  11:38:34  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
IMC, I'd use the Shadovar in the same way that Ed explained. We're talking about a people that has inhabited the Plane of Shadow here... not Warrior's Rest where everyone and everything is about sheer numbers and open war tactics.

I would be of the opinion that the Plane of Shadow has imparted a certain degree of desire for "stealth, intelligence and infiltration" rather than the open alliances we've seen so far in the novels (i.e. having the princes teleport to Cormyr and Waterdeep to sign treaties and bargain openly...) Although one could argue that this was precisely an initial exercise in intelligence (i.e. fake diplomacy just to learn about one's foe... prod until they show their own colors in frustration, etc.)

In any case, I would have sent more mundane agents at first, just to observe quietly for months, to breathe in the politics and current affairs... not this dramatic overture that screams "HEY YOU! WE'RE HERE NOW!! HELLO?!?"

Very "unshadowy"
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  16:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Cathedrals of Gond are seldom seen on the mainland, where shrines are the rule.

This is all great stuff and I really appreciate Ed (and yourself) taking the time to reply. I would certainly love to hear more, and would probably even buy a Volo's Guide type book on the subject, with my only hope being --- more specifics.

Which statue of Sune, or her priestesses, is regard as the best? Which temple is it at? Who sculpted it? Does the artist have any other works?

Come to think of it ... how has magic and illusion effected the arts of the realms? I would iamgine that there are some fairly unique styels based upon the use and even different uses of magic?

Sorry, its just that all of a sudden I'm finding a use for my old grade 12 Western Civ. class!!

Anyway, as per the actual quote above, I was wondering if the difference between a "cathedral" a "temple" and a "shrine" could be clarified, along with "chapel" as well for good measure?

Thanks again!

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4710 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  17:36:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

No, I know who the Srinshee is. Well, I know what most of us know about her anyway I imagine. I was referring to a secret (?) organization of elves that are somehow involved with her, and that existed before the fall of Myth Drannor.

Umm, I think they pretty much died in the battle known as The Honorsgate War during the defence of Myth Drannor - see "Fall of Myth Drannor", pgs.38-39.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  18:32:57  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Ah that reference slipped my mind and it wasn't something I knew much about. Sorry, but it got answered already. :)

Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  21:30:36  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Sorry to bother you again THO (and by extension perhaps Ed), but i was just browsing through my 3rd Edition campaign setting and i noticed in the entry for Archendale several references to a nobility. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but i was sure that all the previous sources (The Dalelands, Volo's Guide to the same) make no mention of a distinct noble class in Archendale. Am i to infer that what is meant is an unofficial merchant nobility in the same sense as Sembia, or is there a real state sanctioned nobility a la Cormyr?

How about the other dales? Are there such things as Dales aristocracies or are there simply no titles (other than those given to the overall rulers) in each dale?

Thanks again for your time, and the previous answers to my Tharsult queries.

GH

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  22:29:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring you now the words of Ed, to the query from Melfius about what types of games Halaster enjoys:

I envision Halaster as knowing the rules of many Faerunian games (see my comments earlier in this thread for rules of some games played in the Realms), but having no interest whatsoever in dice, card, and other ‘primarily gambling’ sorts of games. I see him as being fairly good at, but essentially bored by, strategy board games (chess, et al). The reason for this is that his primary fascination and delight lies in judging character and successfully figuring out how to manipulate and ‘out-think’ opponents (for which read: any creature he wants to manipulate). Yes, ‘brute blasting spells’ can engender fear, and fear can move many an adventurer in Undermountain (greed and overconfident pride moves many of the rest), but over the years Halaster became used to matching wits with rulers who commanded many resources (including capable agents) and mages and sorcerers who had great personal mental strength -- and such struggles are what interest him most. As strategy board games don’t allow for manipulation of the minds of individual playing-pieces, and the games themselves are abstract struggles that have no lasting effect in the real-life Realms, Halaster sees them as time-wasters -- and he values even his idle moments as time too valuable to waste.

So saith Ed. Melfius, I’ll try to have my own reply for you later re. the Knights’ few encounters with Halaster (the Crazed Venturers had a few, too, but I wasn’t on the scene then), after the family madness of Thanksgiving is well past.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  01:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message
Hooded One, you and Ed are GREAT! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  01:57:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
I'll try to post on Tharsult once I finish up some pending writing projects.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  09:36:35  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Thanks Eric!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  18:37:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
Beowulf, I’ll get to Ed as soon as I can for some more answers, but from his notes I can give you the definitive Realms answer for religious building definitions:

A "cathedral" is a temple (usually very large, prosperous, and ornate, presided over by a very high-ranking priest (the equivalent of a real-world Roman Catholic bishop, or higher).

A "temple" is a permanently, at-all-hours staffed (by ordained clergy) house of worship to a Faerunian deity or deities. Usually priests capable of raising the dead dwell and worship there. A temple always has a consecrated altar to the deity, the staff wear holy vestments and make use of consecrated items in their rituals, and regular rituals (usually several times daily) are held. Lay worshippers (the general public) are usually admitted to rituals and for religious advice, aid, or discipline. Priests are often sent forth from a temple to minister to outlying faithful and to further church business (including actual commercial businesses).

A “monastery” (“nunnery” if the clergy are female only; if mixed, the term “monastery” is usually used, the exceptions being for female deities whose clergy is predominantly female, such as Sune and Sharess) is a religious community, often walled and usually in a remote rural location, with a temple (and usually a farm or other means of self-supporting food source, like mushroom-growing caverns, alpine sheep pastures, etc., plus often a business [mill, tannery, etc.] for generating income from the sale of goods). Priests (“monks”) always dwell on site, often lifelong or for years at a time, under a strict regimen or ‘rule’ of regular rituals, prayer, and work for the deity (which often really means work to advance the wealth and influence of the priesthood, from pursuing intrigues to making medicines and liqueurs for sale).

A “shrine” is a small, simple site for worship of a deity or deities. It is usually identifiable by the symbol of the god, and its altar may be either consecrated or improvised. It may or may not have a staff; many shrines are maintained by reclusive hermits or local lay worshippers, and only visited by traveling priests for cleansing, renewal, and collection of any offerings that may have been left there.
Shrines to some deities (depending on the deity) may have caches of healing potions, holy water (or unholy water), or items consecrated to the god (holy symbols, weapons blessed by the priests of Tempus in a shrine to Tempus, dice blessed by the priests of Tymora in a shrine of Tymora, etc.).
Shrines don’t usually have resident (staff) priests, but some faiths ‘man’ them with month-long shifts of clergy dwelling onsite.

A “chapel” is a small shrine or temple attached to a larger structure, or enclosed within its walls (e.g. a stone building within or built against the inside of a castle). In royal castles, ruling courts, or the keeps of the nobility, it’s quite often a room or rooms within the larger structure. Sometimes, chapels are reserved exclusively for the use of a royal or noble family, and their existence may even be kept secret from the wider world.

So saith Ed. Who hopefully will be replying in person again soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  00:31:46  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I've been rereading my box sets and I was curious about something in El's Ecologies. Who is Elminster's great-nephew thats mentioned in the story, in the first booklet, about the lichling? :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000