Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  09:23:01  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
The Realm of Nimbral, Part Two

Ed, I think you just described Vancouver Island in your latest article... (Vancouver Island being that big hunk of rocky-shored forest west of the British-Columbia mainland, for those who have no rank in Knowledge: Local [Canada], or those with less than 5 ranks in Knowledge: Geography)

Things here are almost the same as your article, except the fireflies (I miss those a lot from my East Coast days - East Coast here referring to everything east of Manitoba! )
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  20:44:11  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
With the introduction that Ed wrote and the new article it is a great day for us all. Thanks Ed and The Hooded One for providing us with some fun!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Learned Scribe

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  01:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage  Send Karth an AOL message Send Karth a Private Message
Yes, a most wondrously fluff-filled introduction to Candlekeep, to be sure. Many thanks, Ed. You must *really* like us or something.

Now if we could only get Ed an official, full time map maker to follow up his beautiful place descriptions with well-keyed maps that are final-approved by Ed for accuracy.

Back off, man. I can dream... ;)

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  18:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
I haven't seen anywhere else such a well written introduction. It adds a nice to touch to the Candlekeep. Well done, Ed.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  02:37:12  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message
Hail and well met, Mr. Greenwood,

I have a question regarding the religious prohibitions of the Ilmatari. Specifically, I want to know if Ilmatari priests and paladins are allowed to marry. Thank you in advance for your time.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Moonharp
Seeker

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  18:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage  Send Moonharp an AOL message  Send Moonharp an ICQ Message  Click to see Moonharp's MSN Messenger address  Send Moonharp a Yahoo! Message Send Moonharp a Private Message
quote:
Ed, I think you just described Vancouver Island in your latest article... (Vancouver Island being that big hunk of rocky-shored forest west of the British-Columbia mainland, for those who have no rank in Knowledge: Local [Canada], or those with less than 5 ranks in Knowledge: Geography)

Things here are almost the same as your article, except the fireflies (I miss those a lot from my East Coast days - East Coast here referring to everything east of Manitoba! )

Purple Knight, do you by any chance have a link to that article? I must have missed it, and I would love to see something so simillar to Vancouver Island as you describe.

For Mr.Greenwood...
I have made a personal observation when reading your novels (mostly in Elminster series,but others as well) that you rather favor and focus on external conflicts than internal ones... is there any "truth" in my statement or or reason, or is it just my stupid whim... It seems to me that what drives the story forward, in your novels, is always external conflict (hey, I know, this is the case in most novels), but some novels also have a very strong underlying current of internal unsettlement. Your characters have internal conflicts, yes, but not as strong as in some other fantasy novels I have read. Any validity in this observation?

Moonharp the Marvelous
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  09:36:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

Hail and well met, Mr. Greenwood,

I have a question regarding the religious prohibitions of the Ilmatari. Specifically, I want to know if Ilmatari priests and paladins are allowed to marry. Thank you in advance for your time.

-Blue

In "War in Tethyr," Zaranda Star is accompanied by an Ilmateri cleric for about the first half of the book, and I seem to recall it being mentioned that he's taken a vow of celibacy.
Whether this is a personal vow or official church-policy is, as far as I can recall without access to the book, not mentioned though.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  16:26:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes!
I apologize for my lengthy silence. Ed is finally back from GenCon but preoccupied with family matters, and so will remain e-quiet for a little longer, I’m afraid. He did want to pass on his thanks to Garen Thal for being such good company at GenCon, and to all of his “seen once a year friends” he managed to see once more. He THINKS Mary-Liz and Chris Perkins will both recover from spending time on panels with him.
Ed’s also pleased that so many folks have enjoyed his Candlekeep intro (yes, this is the Big Surprise that’s been mooted for some time now), and thinks Alaundo has done a VERY nice job of ‘presenting’ it. (And * I * think ’tis lovely, too!) So you’re welcome, Alaundo, and thank YOU!
A few swift lore replies, now . . .

To The Blue Sorceress and Kajehase: many but by no means all Ilmatari practise celibacy. It’s a matter of avoiding distractions over one’s personal pain and suffering, not anything the church or the deity regard as “exalted.” A technique rather than doctrine, if you will, but by no means frowned upon by the church. Like hair shirts, flagellation, stuffing undergarments with nettles, and so on: accepted means to the greater goal. Marriage isn’t prohibited, and there are numerous instances of committed partners serving together in the priesthood or in lay worship, dealing loving pain to each other (S& M devotees take note).

Moonharp, it’s not that Ed prefers external conflicts to internal: it’s that most of his editors do. They want action fantasy, and Ed tends to stuff his books so full of subplots and supporting character and lore/ ‘colour’ that there’s little room for internal strife. However, check out ELMINSTER IN HELL for perhaps the ultimate in internal conflict.

kuje31, your editing is correct: “day” should indeed be “dagger” in THE SILENT HOUSE passage you mention. And yes, Ed gave no eulogy at GenCon. My spies at the con (remember my profession, and yes, there ARE FBI agents at GenCon every year, unidentified amongst you bwoohahahahahem) tell me he outdid himself at his writing seminars and the FR seminar (reducing Chris Perkins to helpless laughter over a certain comment about “15 Manshoons showing up for the same hotel reservation”) – and the AUDIENCE outdid themselves this year in filthily inventive suggestions for story elements for the 2004 Spin A Yarn (Mary-Elizabeth even offered to spank Ed, which should be a standing-room-only event NEXT year if she can be convinced to actually go through with it ). So kudos to all. I think.

Ed is also furiously busy with a secret project, just now, AND finishing his last charity short story and his tale for the next Diamond Throne anthology from Sue and Monte Cook at Malhavoc. So busy, in fact, that he’s skipping Worldcon this year and so missing another chance to do a panel with his friend Terry Pratchett. Ah, well: he has to write all of these books SOMEtime.

Ed did mention that his meeting with Keith Baker (like his chat with the Salvatores) was all too brief, and he wants to at least take the new Worldmaster out for drinks at GenCon next year. He’s well aware that some scribes may feel the perils of advancing age overcoming them as they wait and wait and, oh, yes, wait for their Realmslore requests to be answered, but he assures me that he’s typing just as fast as he can.

Yours until Manshoon stops all that cloning around,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5579 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  16:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Welcome back, Hooded One.
Oh the pleasure is all mine regarding Ed's Intro to Candlekeep. I'm happy that you are both happy with the presentation, it is certainly the very least we could do for such a beautiful piece of Realmslore

...now, I just need to duplicate another two copies, and thats the room totally wallpapered

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  17:55:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yours until Manshoon stops all that cloning around,
THO

That, my dear Lady Hooded One, was a horrible pun. However, I really love bad puns, so I forgive you!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  18:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Yeah! Garen's the best! Hooray for Garen!! Let's all send him all our money...

Ed was indeed quite amusing throughout the convention, passing a colorful message along to the Rules Council (which I thought didn't exist anymore...) with regards to his Spin a Yarn, making wonderful pantomimes when a wand of wonder and rod of lordly might were added to the story, and licking any woman that came within his area of effect. Remember ladies, although Ed's a Medium humanoid, he does have reach.

More seriously, it was great fun to spend time talking Realms with the Old Sage of the Greenwood, and any of you who attend GenCon Indy 2005--which WotC will be treating as ManshoonCon, according to Chris Perkins--should make it a point to sit in on at least one of Ed's events, and hope he has a few minutes afterwards (far more likely on Thursday or Friday than on Sunday) to engage in a lovely "sewing circle" of Realmslore. They were by far the highlight of my experience, followed a close second by far too many compliments, and a slightly farther third by spotting one of the Lady of the Hood's spies.

Now if only I could get hold of a certain tape I've been told of...
Go to Top of Page

Sir Elton
Seeker

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  19:37:24  Show Profile  Visit Sir Elton's Homepage  Click to see Sir Elton's MSN Messenger address Send Sir Elton a Private Message
I sent two realms characters to Alaundo to post on Candlekeep. I wonder if Ed would take a look at them and tell me if there is a novel seed in them. They are an orc and a human that have practically grew up as brothers, so they adventure as brothers.

Edit: as always, it will take two weeks before they are posted. So, it shouldn't be a problem.

Who needs me to have a sig?

Edited by - Sir Elton on 28 Aug 2004 19:40:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  20:05:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Elton

I sent two realms characters to Alaundo to post on Candlekeep. I wonder if Ed would take a look at them and tell me if there is a novel seed in them. They are an orc and a human that have practically grew up as brothers, so they adventure as brothers.

Edit: as always, it will take two weeks before they are posted. So, it shouldn't be a problem.

He might not... Not only is his internet connection not the greatest, but authors have to be exceedingly careful about looking at the other people's work. It's not that they're unwilling, it's that doing so opens them up for potential lawsuits later -- "This character in this book is exactly like the one I thought up and let him read a while back! He stole my idea!"

I''m not saying you'd do that; I'm offering a possibility to show you why your request may not be honored. I've heard more than one author on this forum say they avoid reading fans' work for reasons like that.

You'd be better off to wait until your stuff is posted in the next update, then creating a scroll that links to those characters, and asking the rest of us what we think. So far as I know, Big Al won't mind anyone doing something like that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Moonharp
Seeker

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  20:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage  Send Moonharp an AOL message  Send Moonharp an ICQ Message  Click to see Moonharp's MSN Messenger address  Send Moonharp a Yahoo! Message Send Moonharp a Private Message
Thanks to The Hooded One on the reply... it seems that writers are not free as they should or would like to be... a pity, for I am sure Ed could spin even better yarn if left unchecked...

Moonharp the Marvelous
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  21:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
The thing is, 'external' stuff in fiction isn't really external: it's part of the imaginative envelope of the story, its substance is imagination, and it's symbolic as well as (within the story) literal. Ursula le Guin has an excellent essay in The Language of the Night about how on one level the Fellowship of the Ring are individual characters and on another they're parts of a composite psyche. These levels can interact fruitfully, they can clash, and some authors actually don't understand how their characters work symbolically and so load too much into psychological internal monologues. 'Semi-omniscient third person' is greatly overused at the moment: often the writer includes the internal stuff out of a sense of obligation (they think it's the norm, or it's sophisticated) or because she can't write finely enough to get the character across without resorting to telling us what she's feeling.

The Realms is, let's remember, sword and sorcery, not mimetic literature. The popularity of Drizzt relies on Bob's hybridizing the two and creating a protagonist who's both a hero and a modern self-aware psychological individual. But most often the Realms is better suited to multiple distinctive protagonists (an adventuring company) whose actions speak for themselves than a lone hero with all the solipsistic and antisocial tendencies of that.

People talk about 'plot and character', but in my experience it's not a practical distinction that writers make; the one is the other.

Sure, I'd rather Ed had a freer hand. American book editors seem to be more often heavy-handed than British ones generally, leading to celebrity authors wanting their books 'unedited' (whatever that means, and usually the worse for it).
Go to Top of Page

Moonharp
Seeker

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  21:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage  Send Moonharp an AOL message  Send Moonharp an ICQ Message  Click to see Moonharp's MSN Messenger address  Send Moonharp a Yahoo! Message Send Moonharp a Private Message
quote:
The Realms is, let's remember, sword and sorcery, not mimetic literature. The popularity of Drizzt relies on Bob's hybridizing the two and creating a protagonist who's both a hero and a modern self-aware psychological individual. But most often the Realms is better suited to multiple distinctive protagonists (an adventuring company) whose actions speak for themselves than a lone hero with all the solipsistic and antisocial tendencies of that.

I see what you mean by that, Faraer. In the countless novels that I have read (both fantasy and non-fantasy) the "bad" writers who lack the needed imagination, resort to describing and saying the characters' inermost feelings, instead of letting their actions show their attitudes, thoughts and personnas - just like you have said. Though, with the market so expanding and such a demand for books, I would guess its hard to weed out the ungainly writers, especially when many are published just to meet the demand for novels. Also, the people now are less demanding in terms of quality, as when they do not like a book, they just switch to another writer... those are my thoughts at least. Certainly, there are excellent writers out there, but they do not have to work as hard as they used to before, to become popular or sell. Still, I think Ed is an excellent writer in all ways...
Hope this did not come too off-topic. If it did, forgiveness is asked.

Moonharp the Marvelous
Go to Top of Page

Sir Elton
Seeker

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2004 :  01:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Sir Elton's Homepage  Click to see Sir Elton's MSN Messenger address Send Sir Elton a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Elton

He might not... Not only is his internet connection not the greatest, but authors have to be exceedingly careful about looking at the other people's work. It's not that they're unwilling, it's that doing so opens them up for potential lawsuits later -- "This character in this book is exactly like the one I thought up and let him read a while back! He stole my idea!"

I''m not saying you'd do that; I'm offering a possibility to show you why your request may not be honored. I've heard more than one author on this forum say they avoid reading fans' work for reasons like that.

You'd be better off to wait until your stuff is posted in the next update, then creating a scroll that links to those characters, and asking the rest of us what we think. So far as I know, Big Al won't mind anyone doing something like that.

Actually, I've forgotten about that. Thanks for the heads up. Sometimes I get excited I forget the fact of what I'm asking about :( A scroll, eh? I'm been thinking about filling one about their childhoods.

But no doubt about it.

Who needs me to have a sig?

Edited by - Sir Elton on 29 Aug 2004 02:01:21
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2004 :  05:08:55  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message
quote:

To The Blue Sorceress and Kajehase: many but by no means all Ilmatari practise celibacy. It’s a matter of avoiding distractions over one’s personal pain and suffering, not anything the church or the deity regard as “exalted.” A technique rather than doctrine, if you will, but by no means frowned upon by the church. Like hair shirts, flagellation, stuffing undergarments with nettles, and so on: accepted means to the greater goal. Marriage isn’t prohibited, and there are numerous instances of committed partners serving together in the priesthood or in lay worship, dealing loving pain to each other (S& M devotees take note).

Thank you to both the Hooded One and Mr. Greenwood for replying to my rather esoteric question.

*Heaps praise upon both*

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  10:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

'Semi-omniscient third person' is greatly overused at the moment: often the writer includes the internal stuff out of a sense of obligation (they think it's the norm, or it's sophisticated) or because she can't write finely enough to get the character across without resorting to telling us what she's feeling.

I'm curious, and feel free to label me clueless for asking what may be obvious or common knowledge: what is "semi-omniscient third person" and what differentiates it from "limited third person"?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  15:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Same ting.
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  16:20:12  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
I have a question about the times of moonrise and moonset. Does Selune rise and set at the same time each night, or is it more like in our world, where the times change constantly? Many clerics, especially of the Seldarine deities, pray for their spells at certain times that depend on the moon, so it could make a difference in a campaign.

Thank you, both Ed and The Hooded One, for anwering all these questions and making this great thread possible!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  17:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

'Semi-omniscient third person' is greatly overused at the moment: often the writer includes the internal stuff out of a sense of obligation (they think it's the norm, or it's sophisticated) or because she can't write finely enough to get the character across without resorting to telling us what she's feeling.

I'm curious, and feel free to label me clueless for asking what may be obvious or common knowledge: what is "semi-omniscient third person" and what differentiates it from "limited third person"?

LTP (limited third person): The story comes from one Point of View character at a time, and we only get to learn the story from that character's vantage point. Only what's observable and understood by the character is what's related as the story. We don't always know why others do things in the story, because our POV character doesn't know.

SOTP (semi-omniscient third person): As above, but there are times when things that might not be in a character's ability to know are slipped into the story to flesh it out or for greater reader understanding. This could be anything from cut-away scenes from another POV that drop in more info or they could be slips like having our orc POV character suddenly understand human psychology and almost be able to mind-read the villain's intentions and actions.

Other authors are free to amend these comments, as this is off the top of this author's/teacher's head without any coffee yet this a.m.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  18:01:37  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

LTP (limited third person): The story comes from one Point of View character at a time, and we only get to learn the story from that character's vantage point. Only what's observable and understood by the character is what's related as the story. We don't always know why others do things in the story, because our POV character doesn't know.

SOTP (semi-omniscient third person): As above, but there are times when things that might not be in a character's ability to know are slipped into the story to flesh it out or for greater reader understanding. This could be anything from cut-away scenes from another POV that drop in more info or they could be slips like having our orc POV character suddenly understand human psychology and almost be able to mind-read the villain's intentions and actions.

Other authors are free to amend these comments, as this is off the top of this author's/teacher's head without any coffee yet this a.m.

Steven

That is a great answer, thanks for informing us about it. This keeps me from digging up old English books. And on a side note some of us enjoy this point of view.
Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  18:08:12  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Finglas Leaflock

I have a question about the times of moonrise and moonset. Does Selune rise and set at the same time each night, or is it more like in our world, where the times change constantly? Many clerics, especially of the Seldarine deities, pray for their spells at certain times that depend on the moon, so it could make a difference in a campaign.

Thank you, both Ed and The Hooded One, for anwering all these questions and making this great thread possible!

I think it is safe for me to venture with an answer on this....the time would vary just like ours...barring any supernatural influences...but that is just my opinion.

Bakra

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  03:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Steven

Thank you for taking the time to explain.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000