Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  17:11:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simontrinity

So really, what technology functions in the realms is up to Gond. And through Gond, Oghma. It would not surprise me if technology that worked on one world would simply fail to function when brought to another. Or maybe it would function and be considered as a technological artifact of some sort, but be impossible to replicate. Copies just fail to work, even when it's exactly the same.

I believe there is a precedent for this. I don't recall where I readit, but I do remember reading that smokepowder doesn't work on Oerth, though I believe it does work in the rest of Greyspace.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  01:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
Yes that true but what if a new Goddess of Steam and Tech found a path to tree of Faerun, Machina is such a Goddess. She is a Human construct who gain godhood by her own hand, unlike normal deities Machina doesn't give out spells or demands worship. You see her power comes from the machines themselves, like Steam Engines. This one main reason why steam tech in my homebrew setting reacts so badly with contact of Magic. It's due to the simple fact that Machina hates Magic and sees it as a uncontrolable Chaotic force, one that must brought to heel,

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  02:39:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes. Ed fully intended to e-toss me a Lathtarl’s Lantern writeup for posting here (and I pass on his apologies, simontrinity; Ed thanks you for your patience, and promises to get to Aundable and Laspeera [as much as NDAs will let him, and yes, one does come into play here] Real Soon Now ), but when he and his good wife arrived home at the end of his current autographing tour, said marital unit finally blew her stxxx er, put her foot XXXX ahem, lost patience and demanded that Ed FINALLY dismantle their Christmas tree. Yes, that’d be the one Ed spent two days erecting last December. I should mention that Greenwood Christmas trees are legendary for bearing literally thousands of incredible ornaments that Ed collects all the time (often un-Christmasy models and miniatures and suchlike, not just the familiar glass balls and bells), and taking it all down and stowing it away is likely to take him a couple of days at least.
So in the meantime, I’ll field thy queries unaided a trifle longer. First, to Vanguard: steam engines (monstrous “rolling-beam” stationary types, akin to those found in Cornish tin mines and elsewhere AND tiny ‘using a fire one builds in a bowl’ sorts) are in common use all over Lantan, but remain “dangerous” curiosities elsewhere (although many Faerunians know about harnessing the hot gas from a fire collected through a hood-and-pipe apparatus). As several posters have mentioned, Gond rules such pursuits, and copious prayers to him will be a part of any steam-work. What the Realms DOESN’T yet have is reliable steam propulsion (locomotives, that is -- although miners’-sweatwork and donkey- or mule-drawn mining railways, with little ‘tip’ ore cars, ARE used here and there, and are known to all dwarves and gnomes). Distillation and other simple steam-related procedures are widely known if not widely understood.
Secondly, to Karth: a very valid question, given my flippant delivery of said tale (oh, and BTW: although the Knights had nothing to do with those ‘masked murders’ they arrived in the midst of, we ended up deemed guilty by association, and had some seasons of troubles during our visits to Waterdeep, until we found and unmasked the murderer, although that’s another and far less exciting story).
Here’s the ahem, straight poo (one of the female players had a habit of saying, “Just give me your poo straight,” which caused a lot of startlement to passersby over the years, whenever we happened to be playing in someone else’s house, or Ed’s kids had friends over).
Torm and Rathan slipped away from the rest of us to have some fun. For Rathan, that consists of being amused at Torm’s outrageousness at a revel and stuffing himself full of food and drink at a prodigious rate. He rapidly gets “mellow,” which is to say: drunk but still upright and operating (just a little slower on alertness and awareness).
Torm just loves flirting and being rude and stealing small items (almost for fun more than for profit; he “likes to stay in practise,” and IS a thief, after all). When Jhessail spell-traced him and we came running to collect our two errants, Torm didn’t reveal that he was planning on stealing anything, and we saw him deeply engaged in drinking and flirting. Much tumult erupted during our precipitous running arrival, and none of us saw Torm snatch the lass. He said nothing to us about being after the gems, but instead told us (and despite the fact that we’re all used to his triflings with the truth, Torm is an incredibly GOOD liar when he wants to be) that the lass was being spell-attacked by a lecherous noble bent on rearranging her wits to make her profess to fall in love with him so he could marry her. He attributed her screams and protests to those same spells at work, and even if we hadn’t been busy fleeing, she was so loaded down with mind-protecting magic items (noble family heirlooms, worn when out on the town to guard against just such attacks) that I doubt we’d have managed to wander around in her mind enough to determine if Torm was telling the truth or not.
And Torm did toss her away readily, without stripping her of a single gem -- and when he went back through the gate, it was as Rathan’s supportive friend (to investigate the murders). He said nothing about being after gems or trying to get that particular young and feminine walking window-display of jewelry back.
I’m sure he removed a few baubles from her, but all the gems Torm revealed to us when we were dining back in Shadowdale he presented as swiped from Mirt -- whom we regard as just as big a rogue as Torm, so if our companion swiped something from the Old Wolf, fair enough!
So at no time did we Knights see Torm as kidnapping the lass (he was RESCUING her), and we never saw him steal from her, or know this was his intention (as I recall, I loudly speculated at the time that his intentions had more to do with her own soft natural adornments than with glittering artificial accessories)
Now, your larger question is really how much we Knights turn a blind eye to our suspicions that Torm is up to his tricks again, and how we deal with clear evidence that he’s doing naughty things. Well, here’s how it works: for those of us who worship Tymora (such as Rathan), the “taking chances” streak in Torm’s nature is hard to chide (particularly as Torm has not only made copious offerings to Tymora down the years, and saved not only Rathan but other clergy of Lady Luck, but also been careful to undertake dangerous tasks and missions “in reverence to Holy Tymora”). In other words, Torm’s disarmed Rathan through both friendship and by earning himself heavy karma as an agent of Tymora. Rathan lectures Torm constantly on moral matters, but Torm is glib-tongued enough to turn most such charges into moral debates, and slide right on doing whatever he’s doing. Add to that Rathan’s sneaking admiration for someone who leaves so much of his life to chance (that is, “in the hands of Tymora”) and is so dashing and bold and gets all the girls . . .
Which leaves Torm with the REST of us to deal with. Dove, Islif, and Florin have little patience with Torm’s outrageous side, but Torm is well aware of this and VERY good at getting himself out from under their direct scrutiny under the guise of ‘scouting’ and other support-the-party tasks (often with Rathan sent along to “keep an eye on him”). Torm is swift and smooth: he can often arrange things for a later theft or swindle, or even manage a snatch-job, in the space of a few breaths, and then be back under their observation, all innocent (or better, acting just as outrageous as usual), so that they actually become his alibi.
Torm can be VERY charming, gives great footrubs and backrubs and ahem, otherbodypart rubs, produces needed items and refreshments at the drop of a murmur of need, is a master manipulator who constantly monitors the moods and aims of the rest of us Knights and so can ingratiate himself or maneuver us into splitting into groupings that let him get away with things . . . and despite all of this, he spends a LOT of time with his little fingers wired together, his thumbs wired together, hogtied and gagged with his own purse and with his own cloak bound around his head, slung across the saddle of Dove, Florin, or Islif. Because meting out harder punishments on him would usually endanger the rest of us ‘in the field,’ and because Torm NEVER holds grudges (though he never forgets, either), we seldom waste our time confining him. Instead, he gets dragged before clergy of Mask, who usually assign him a “steal X and then give the money freely to Y” penance, which he happily fulfills. THEN we drag him to clergy of Tymora who do the same thing, Torm thanks us all with a grin, plays a prank or two on some of us, and the whole cycle begins again.
Remember, we’re all heavy roleplayers and old friends. More than once, John Hunter (who plays Florin) has observed, “Damn it, Victor, you’re making me sound like James T. Kirk!” during our green tea break, because he’s tired of doggedly trying to discipline Torm. [And ever since the fourth Star Trek movie was released, the reply was usually: “Admiral, would it be time for a colourful metaphor?” with someone else chiming in: “The hell it is!” . . . and so on.]
So yes, we do put firm stops to those sorts of things, but (short of murdering him) Torm never seems to STAY stopped.
Though Jhessail did come close to murdering him, as I recall, the day he slipped some live eels into her herbal bath . . .
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 31 Jul 2004 02:41:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  03:20:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard

Yes that true but what if a new Goddess of Steam and Tech found a path to tree of Faerun, Machina is such a Goddess. She is a Human construct who gain godhood by her own hand, unlike normal deities Machina doesn't give out spells or demands worship. You see her power comes from the machines themselves, like Steam Engines. This one main reason why steam tech in my homebrew setting reacts so badly with contact of Magic. It's due to the simple fact that Machina hates Magic and sees it as a uncontrolable Chaotic force, one that must brought to heel,

If she made it to the Realms, she'd not last long. Deities in the Realms have to be worshipped to stay around, so someone who didn't grant spells or seek worshippers would very quickly find him/herself powerless.

If she did try to grant spells and seek worshippers, then Gond would get tweaked off... And that's assuming Ao even let her in in the first place...

All in all, I don't see that one happening any time soon.

Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  04:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
So yes, we do put firm stops to those sorts of things, but (short of murdering him) Torm never seems to STAY stopped.

LOL... Very enlightening indeed, THO. I now feel like I know Torm personally. Unfortunately, I may have to wash out my brain with soap as a consequence...

"Just a damn minute, sir." *chuckle*

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2004 :  23:01:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed or the Hooded One,

Can you detail which days of the months Selune is Waxing, Waning, Full, and Dark? We know, according to the lore, that she's always full on the 30th day but I was curious about the rest of her phases. Unless it's detailed some where and I forgot where.......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  14:45:25  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
<<<Can you detail which days of the months Selune is Waxing, Waning, Full, and Dark? We know, according to the lore, that she's always full on the 30th day but I was curious about the rest of her phases. Unless it's detailed some where and I forgot where.......>>>
Hey kuje31,
I am not much of Selune worshiper but if you need a quick fix this a theory used in our game. Assuming one synodic month is 30 days on Aber-Toril (going from new moon to half moon to full then all of the way back to new phase) the first tenday starts off in new then evolves into the quarter/half moon phase by the start on the second tenday. Then from the half phase it will go through gibbous (just a sliver of it not being seen) to full at the start of the third tenday. During the third week a small part gets nibbled away (the gibbous phase) until half of it is gone by the end of the third tenday and the start on the fourth tenday. The fourth tenday begins in half phase then the residents of Toril should see her slip away slowly into the ‘crescent’ phase until the 29th day turns into the 30th and she is hidden from view. This is barring any supernatural events of course, in our old games the first tenday of the new year, Festival of Selune, she stayed full the whole week during the day and night. Then she would go back to normal phase, the festive itself was only held every ten years….for whatever reasons I do not know…never asked…and now that DM lives in CA with a small and growing family. Now it is time for me to go spoil my niece and nephew.

Take care everyone,

Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  15:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Oh Hooded One, you have mentioned that the Church of Mask gives tasks for penance. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? It seems that the Church of Mask would order someone to give penance for stealing something? It seems it would try to promote such a thing, instead of punish for it. And the task to accomplish is to steal from the rich, give to the poor type thing. I'm intrigued by this type of endeavor. Would you please elaborate?

My thanks....
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  15:23:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Kuje, Bakra has answered your query perfectly (including mention of “the supernatural,” i.e. the influence of the goddess altering the usual lunar cycle). I should add that the clergy of Selune prefer to keep very quiet about any link between their activities and the strength/efficacy of their spells and the current phase of the moon.
Ed’s Christmas stuff is down and packed away, but the fact that it’s taken him this long to get to it, this year, is an example of just how busy he is.
He’s e-promised me he’ll send me Realmslore soon to gnaw away at a few more of the, ahem, rather LARGE stack of accumulated scribes’ queries.
In the meantime, here’s a tidbit of Knights lore: Torm apparently has his own private banks in Westgate and Selgaunt. He created them by purchasing and renovating tallhouses (the tall, narrow downtown city residences that often have rental space on the ground floor for shops, and sometimes wealthy tenants living on the floors above, usually one per floor, if the owner doesn’t dwell therein, or only keeps a single floor as a ‘seldom seen’ city residence). Torm kept a few ‘hidden rooms’ in the cellars for himself, complete with concealed entrances both on the interior stairs and in the exterior walls (well above street level) to this secret suite. He also built some false walls around the cesspool, in the reek and stink wherein most folk won’t go poking around - - and one of these walls has a few unmortared stones that can be removed to reveal coin- and gem-caches.
Torm also maintains at least one suite in a Selgauntan tallhouse under another name, complete with extensive wardrobe and (hidden) documents, so he has ‘another identity’ in the city. His investments are busily making him (slowly but surely) VERY wealthy. He revealed this to the Knights once when we needed to take ship out of Selgaunt in rather a hurry and no one would take us: so Torm went around a dockside tavern and hired a crew, man by man, and then went and bought a caravel, on the spot, so we could sail away! :}
Lashan, the penance is for stealing something with such lack of subtlety that the thief’s companions noticed and were upset: a punishment for sloppy style and for Torm breaking his agreements with his fellow Knights (the church of Mask is very big on worshippers keeping agreements they make, so as to mitigate against rulers “purging all thieves” and the like).
More from Ed soon,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  16:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Thanks for the info. When Torm had to steal from one and give to another, was it steal from rich and give to poor? And if so, to increase the popularity of the Church of Mask? Or is it steal from one enemy of Mask and give to one ally of Mask?

I assume then that the Church of Tymora thought it a sin to steal in genearl (being good). What was their penance? Was it steal from bad and give to good? Thanks for any info.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  18:13:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
Assuming one synodic month is 30 days on Aber-Toril (going from new moon to half moon to full then all of the way back to new phase) the first tenday starts off in new then evolves into the quarter/half moon phase by the start on the second tenday. Then from the half phase it will go through gibbous (just a sliver of it not being seen) to full at the start of the third tenday. During the third week a small part gets nibbled away (the gibbous phase) until half of it is gone by the end of the third tenday and the start on the fourth tenday. The fourth tenday begins in half phase then the residents of Toril should see her slip away slowly into the ‘crescent’ phase until the 29th day turns into the 30th and she is hidden from view. This is barring any supernatural events of course, in our old games the first tenday of the new year, Festival of Selune, she stayed full the whole week during the day and night. Then she would go back to normal phase,

Huh? You lost me..... There isn't 4 tendays in a month in the FR calender, there's only 3 tendays a month..... And according to the FRCS she's always full on the 30th of the month.....

Now I'm really confused....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  01:17:57  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Well it was the DM's game, sorry about the confusion. I guess it was easier for Tom to inject some real world stuff into the mix. It also helps to wear my glasses in the morning and drink some coffee...If Selune is full on the 30th then she begins to wane (bright part begins to shrink) within the first tenday. She would be in half phase on the 8th day of the month. During the second tenday of the month she will be shrinking until she is 'gone'(New Moon) from the night sky, this will happen on the 16th day of the month. She begins to wax right after that day (here it gets tricky to fit a four phase cycle into a 30 day month) On the 23rd day of the month she should be at the half phase again, seven days later at the end of the third tenday she is at Full.
Barring any supernatural occurances of course.

This comes from the book by John D. Fix titled Astronomy:Journey to the Cosmic Frontier...in it the Moon goes through allf our phases within 29.5 days which is called a synodic month.
But this is just something I did...and think I will e-mail to a certain friend in CA.

Once again I apologize to Kuje31 and everyone else that got confused,
Bakra

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  01:28:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Well it was the DM's game, sorry about the confusion. I guess it was easier for Tom to inject some real world stuff into the mix. It also helps to wear my glasses in the morning and drink some coffee...If Selune is full on the 30th then she begins to wane (bright part begins to shrink) within the first tenday. She would be in half phase on the 8th day of the month. During the second tenday of the month she will be shrinking until she is 'gone'(New Moon) from the night sky, this will happen on the 16th day of the month. She begins to wax right after that day (here it gets tricky to fit a four phase cycle into a 30 day month) On the 23rd day of the month she should be at the half phase again, seven days later at the end of the third tenday she is at Full.

Once again I apologize to Kuje31 and everyone else that got confused,
Bakra

That makes a lot more sense, but I'm hoping Ed or The Hooded One can further clarify. :)

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  07:03:58  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Oh darm my fair lady Hooded One, now you have got me curious about this co-conspirator angle. Can you explain more, and if so write to me at brucedonohue@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  09:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
For those seeking the information, I've constructed a lunar calendar for Selûne's full moon, according to the cycle laid out in the 3rd Edition FRCS book. I posted elsewhere to avoid cluttering up the thread, and ask that those responding to the calendar do the same.

Thanks, and I hope it helps.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 04 Aug 2004 18:39:52
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  17:22:38  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Thanks Garen! Err I no longer posses Realmspace supplement, dos anyone happen to know if Selune rotates or is one side always facing Toril? And also to the Hooded One have the Knights ever been "up there" among the stars?

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  18:44:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Thanks Garen! Err I no longer posses Realmspace supplement, dos anyone happen to know if Selune rotates or is one side always facing Toril?

One side always faces away from Toril, also many of the races on Selune are/were afraid of being invaded by Toril.

Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  05:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, to resurrect the "Elminster's new look" question I was wondering because of these changes have you had to describe his features in your recent books with these new "trim and proper" ones? I have only read the first of El series so forgive my ignorance.

Oh and (yes I am fledging to Forgotten Realms) I would also like to say that the thief Torm is a delightful character. He reminds me of David Edding's Silk with his wit and sarcasm, and of course his love of "shinny things". I think the Knights of Myth Drannor Trilogy would be great, however would there ever be a chance of writing individual novels on each of the characters? Like in the spirit of the Dragonlance Preludes series, which has books devoted to each of the heroes. Keep up the good work!

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."

Edited by - Gareth Yaztromo on 05 Aug 2004 06:11:39
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  21:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
To Ed, the Hooded One (one of his players in his personal FR RPG sessions) and othere here interested here is more on the Goddess Machina,

Well first off she isn't Human or organic she is a Human female construct the first of her kind, and the first one be what will be known as Numataics Steam powered Human robots which have Human Intellignce but not the disire to rebel againest there creators. Machina considers Numatics her childern and if she favors any beings it would be the Numatics,

You may wonder since Machina doesn't normally give spells or want worship you may wonder how does she gather strength and power, well it's quite simple since one her domains is Steam this is were she draws her strengh from. From every Steam Engine and machine, all though all don't need to on at the same time for Machina to gather power but the simple fact that there are some many in her homeworld.

Magic: Machina doesn't like Magic do to the simple fact it's Chaos in raw form, and this Goddess know for a fact that Magic in it's natural form refuses to be Ordered which is Machina is all about. She want to bring the intire universe under this same clockwork like Order that Machina favors, this is why Steam powered machines react so badly around casted Magic like exploding. There is a saying in the Kingdom of Albion the quickest way to derail a train is to cast a spell, of course when that happens the castor's life is forfit, which acording to the standard punishment in Albion law if unlicenced mage is cught casting distructive Magic will be hanged from the neck until dead, after that effendor's Tounge and Fingers have in cut off to prevent casting of spells while the hanging is happening. It's safe to say that Albion has strong Anti Magic laws, but unlike the Germantic nation it doesn't procude them to unjusticly or hound them out of there borders, these laws are to protect Albion people from Magic effects on machines. But this form of punishment hasn't deture the Circle of Black Thorns from there campain of terror and machine smashing,

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  22:46:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

To Ed, the Hooded One (one of his players in his personal FR RPG sessions) and othere here interested here is more on the Goddess Machina,

Well first off she isn't Human or organic she is a Human female construct the first of her kind, and the first one be what will be known as Numataics Steam powered Human robots which have Human Intellignce but not the disire to rebel againest there creators. Machina considers Numatics her childern and if she favors any beings it would be the Numatics,

You may wonder since Machina doesn't normally give spells or want worship you may wonder how does she gather strength and power, well it's quite simple since one her domains is Steam this is were she draws her strengh from. From every Steam Engine and machine, all though all don't need to on at the same time for Machina to gather power but the simple fact that there are some many in her homeworld.

Magic: Machina doesn't like Magic do to the simple fact it's Chaos in raw form, and this Goddess know for a fact that Magic in it's natural form refuses to be Ordered which is Machina is all about. She want to bring the intire universe under this same clockwork like Order that Machina favors, this is why Steam powered machines react so badly around casted Magic like exploding. There is a saying in the Kingdom of Albion the quickest way to derail a train is to cast a spell, of course when that happens the castor's life is forfit, which acording to the standard punishment in Albion law if unlicenced mage is cught casting distructive Magic will be hanged from the neck until dead, after that effendor's Tounge and Fingers have in cut off to prevent casting of spells while the hanging is happening. It's safe to say that Albion has strong Anti Magic laws, but unlike the Germantic nation it doesn't procude them to unjusticly or hound them out of there borders, these laws are to protect Albion people from Magic effects on machines. But this form of punishment hasn't deture the Circle of Black Thorns from there campain of terror and machine smashing,

Perhaps you could start a new scroll devoted to this, so we might discuss it properly without cluttering up this already long scroll...

Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  06:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
So where am I going to post this scroll on this message board?,
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  08:43:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

So where am I going to post this scroll on this message board?,

Perhaps somewhere under the Journals section...

I'm not trying to stifle discussion or anything; I'm just trying to keep this already masive scroll from becoming more cluttered with off-topic stuff than it already is. I do want to discuss this topic with you, it's just that this isn't the scroll for doing so.

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2004 :  11:39:21  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
Agreed.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2004 :  05:11:45  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
An Elminsterish question, if I may;

In 2nd Edition, Elminster was a 29th level mage. It was said that the skills he gained as a fighter, thief, and a priest had been lost to him (a thousand years of unuse, possible memory damage from spells or stasis, etc).

In 3rd Edition, he's still a 29th level arcane caster (Wizard-24/Archmage-5), but they added on six other levels before that (Fighter-1/Rogue-2/Cleric-3) to reflect his early years.

Which is more accurate? Should he still remember the skills he picked up back then (and if so - is 3rd level sufficient for his clerical powers, or should they be greater? Does he ever prepare or use those spells?), or should he have indeed lost them all?
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  15:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
I'm guessing, but I think Cleric's of Mystra can use arcane spells and El can heal can't he? So I would asume he does have them although he can heal himself with silver fire I believe and that trusty ring. I think he has the cleric spells but since his way of using magic is sometimes hard to decipher who knows when he's using which. and he whips his sword out every now and then and uses his roguish abilties as well I don't know why they took those levels away from him I mean it seems like the basics only at the first 3 levels anyway like riding a bike you don't forget.

Just my two copper.....
-Myst-

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  03:56:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all scribes. Thy Hooded Lady just dropping in for the briefest of moments to let you know that Ed hasn't forgotten you all: he's just been too blamed busy these last few days to do anything except write a book. In six days. And do work on two other ongoing projects, too.
Feeling his temporary loss as much as all of you,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  04:26:05  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all scribes. Thy Hooded Lady just dropping in for the briefest of moments to let you know that Ed hasn't forgotten you all: he's just been too blamed busy these last few days to do anything except write a book. In six days. And do work on two other ongoing projects, too.
THO

Oh Hooded One,
Tell Ed to drink plenty of hot tea...and remind him to eat.
just out of curiosity what type of habits does he engage in to write? ie) does he play certain music...or lock himself in a small closet filled with apples?
Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  04:32:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

THO

Thank you THO for the update. You both take care of yourselves.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  06:10:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

THO

Feel free to flirt in his absence, dear Lady.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  09:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Feel free to flirt in his absence, dear Lady.

Well met

Mind thyself, Wooly Rupert, and keep thy hands to thyself Take not advantage of The Hooded One whilst the old sage is busy, I hear his gaze can kill

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly