Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  11:15:49  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Thanks again Garen, i'll be making good use of that info.

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  11:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage  Click to see Capn Charlie's MSN Messenger address  Send Capn Charlie a Yahoo! Message Send Capn Charlie a Private Message
Ahh, many thanks, Ed! The purses and palates of my players are already diversified from this bit of realmslore!

Coinage is a very interesting subject, to me anyway, because of the sheer volume of it that passes through the hands of both the average adventurer, and the average protagonist in a fantasy novel. I,also, am just not satisfied with speaking about generic "gold pieces", and even if they are of the generic size and metal, I like to know what designs are upon them.

But the food, this is where my interest is really piqued. I can only have so many meals that look like they came out of a fantasy movie from the eighties before what should be adding a lot of flavor(so to speak) to my game has become run of the mill.

Whenever you get the chance, I would love some dice games, especially any that might be played by chessentan mercenaries to gamble over spoils.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  18:26:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I have a simple question for Ed... I'm currently re-reading Spellfire. On page 271, when Fzoul is meeting with the head honchos of Zhentil Keep, Ashemmi is present -- as a guy with a beard, presumably human. But references to Ashemmi in other sources have said that that particular mage is a moon elf female.

This is kinda confusing... Either there's two Ashemmis with the Zhents (or there were), she was in disguise, or the human guy somewhere along the way became an elven girl. Can you clarify this one?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  19:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Woolpert, Ed cleared that up here:
quote:
Yes, Ashemmi for years used a human male disguise in the Zhentarim (in part because the High Imperceptor wanted only human males, and tried to arrange "accidents" for all others). I did introduce a brief explanation for this into the rewritten Spellfire...but I'm afraid it vanished again when the MS was trimmed in length (not by me). Sorry for the confusion!
Before that, I'd guessed that Jeff Grubb's treatment of Ashemmi in FRA and Castles was a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  21:27:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Woolpert, Ed cleared that up here:
quote:
Yes, Ashemmi for years used a human male disguise in the Zhentarim (in part because the High Imperceptor wanted only human males, and tried to arrange "accidents" for all others). I did introduce a brief explanation for this into the rewritten Spellfire...but I'm afraid it vanished again when the MS was trimmed in length (not by me). Sorry for the confusion!
Before that, I'd guessed that Jeff Grubb's treatment of Ashemmi in FRA and Castles was a mistake.

Ah, thank you for that info.

Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  23:29:11  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Ok well here's one last Cormyr related question for Ed... although Garen Thal, you may be able to answer this as you seem to be very well informed...

What exactly is a "Highknight"? Is it merely a more honoured/senior form of Knight (but not yet reaching the baronet level of nobility)? Is it Cormyr's version of a Knight-Errant of Silverymoon type thing?

Thanks in advance for whatever information can be provided.

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  00:18:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, this is one I can answer all by myself, being as one of my characters once spent an er, acrobatic night making love to one: a Purple Dragon Highknight is the Cormyrean version of a King's Messenger/James Bond-style agent. They're detailed as a 3.0 Edition Prestige Class in Ed's Dragon Annual article on Cormyr (referenced earlier in this thread), and several of them appear in Ed's Realms fiction, notably Glarasteer Rhauligan (whose most recent role was in ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER). As for my tryst, I could tell you just which Highknight I sported with, but then I'd have to k--
I presume you know the rest.
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Jun 2004 00:19:35
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  00:55:28  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Thanks for the info Lady Hooded One... and the interesting detail!!!

Keep up the good work

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  17:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
A highknight of Cormyr is a recently created rank of service to the crown. Trained in Court etiquette and realm law as well as in the use of weapons, highknights are regularly mind-read by War Wizards to guarantee their continued loyalty, as well as to guard against magical influences or impostors posing as real knights. Highknights usually draw difficult duties, such as investigating suspected traitors among the ranks of superior Purple Dragon officers or the nobility, or guarding royalty or unpopular visiting envoys.
The Highknights aren't more recent than 1357 DR, when we see them guarding King Azoun in Hand of Fire.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  00:55:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met, fellow scribes of Realmslore. Thy Lady Hooded returneth once more, to pass on the latest words of Ed. A question of mine own for Purple Dragon Knight, though: so, PDK, just what WOULD you do to meet the Picard?
And a word of explanation re, my character’s dalliance with the Highknight: it wasn’t mere personal pleasure, but an attempt to winkle certain information out of the man, and I had the er, pleasure of performing with both Torm and Illistyl eavesdropping on the entire affair.
But enough of such fancyplay. On to the words of Ed:

Dargoth, I’m afraid my latest brainwashing attempt re. a book on Bane has failed. Sorry.

lobotraxx, the matter of Shandril’s unborn girl-child must remain mysterious for now. Which is as good a way as any of saying (and as far as I dare go, for now) that you haven’t heard the last of this.

Capn Charlie, Faraer is correct in contending that many rights that might have led to various Realms “goodies” have been sold off over the years. Yet it’s true that the Realms has missed out on merchandising possibilities that other lines have had, sometimes for reasons of internal politics, sometimes because the core D&D line was being emphasized, and sometimes for reasons I just can’t puzzle out, no matter how hard I scratch my head. I STILL think Jim Lowder’s long-ago idea of Harper pins that Realms fans could buy and wear was a great one, and I’ve no idea why it was shot down (I think the logo I designed would look beautiful in silver, or chromed base metal, for that matter).
There have been baseball caps, because I’ve got one, but I think they were for internal company use only, and I got one as a “make Ed happy goodie.” Now, if there was ever a Realms garter belt, I’d HAVE to add it to my Elminster costume . . .

To The Black Hand of Bane, you’re quite right about Shar being interested in far more than the Shadow Weave. Like all deities, she’s trying to increase her followers, and the allure of the forbidden and illict meetings by night and being part of important little secret societies are her tried-and-true tools to winning the maximum numbers of followers. Only the most grasping and ambitious insist on magical rewards beyond what Shar can grant through her clergy, and before them she dangles the lure of the Shadow Weave.
Shar CAN grant her followers corrupted versions of the same powers Mystra gives, but darkfire and the like are mere shadows of Mystra’s boons, not equivalents. So, there’s no “dark” version of spellfire or the silver fire, despite the claims of Shar or her clergy to the contrary, just inferior unleashings. I know Realms fans love to argue about the natures and powers of the gods, and I promise that in time to come more will be revealed that will surprise many -- but there’s no way I can or will say more, right now. Just remember: if I say it, it’s canon until contradicted in print by a later WotC official Realms publication. Call now, for trained operators are standing by. :}

I promise everyone that I’ll dig right in to the more substantial Realmslore requests by July, once the Waterdeep book is through the first wall and my ALA trip is over and I’m safely back home (and packing for GenCon :} ).

So saith Ed, who is truly one of the most hard-working people I know. I know he does sleep occasionally, because I’ve heard him snoring during gaming weekends. Don’t miss his short story in the CHILDREN OF THE RUNE Malhavoc anthology (set in the Diamond Throne world setting), or his forthcoming “Stormsong” novella (hey, another entire NEW fantasy world of his, to go alongside the Realms and Aglirta and Castlemorn) in REALMS OF WONDER 1: SUMMONED TO DESTINY from FitzHenry & Whiteside, probably to be published in August. To say nothing of SERPENT KINGDOMS, of course, and a dozen or so other little projects.
The luckiest (and most patient!) Realms fans I know of, this year, are the three people with the top bids in the charity auction at Pentacon: one of them has received, and the other two will receive, Ed fantasy stories written just for them, starring their own characters (they get the copyrights, and own the tales outright, forever).
But enough drum-beating and trumpet-blowing for now. The man the secretary of the Crime Writers Association of Canada calls “My Big Huggly Bunny” rocks!

THO
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Seeker

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  03:20:41  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
Phew !!!
read the first 5 pages of the thread yet
I knew this before (all those world creatin, game arrangin, book writin thing)but now I'm sure

ED's superhuman and his mind just does not stop !!!

this is the end of the world news: sponsored by god
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  12:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
*patiently waits for Ed's mind to drop into the sewers....of Tantras, that is*
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  14:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Dargoth, I’m afraid my latest brainwashing attempt re. a book on Bane has failed. Sorry.

Ed you need to take more ranks in Intimidate and Sense Motive!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Lashan – and everyone else, too! Ed thanks you for waiting patiently. He’s feeling bad that he hasn’t been able to contribute daily Realmslore replies here for the last few weeks, and that he won’t be able to for the rest of June, either, but says he’ll post through me whenever he can. Apropos of that, he concurs with the Dave Gross posting on PRIDE OF THE LION, and still regrets that he just couldn’t squeeze one more novel into the mix, that time. He also wants you all to know he’s having great fun with the first Knights of Myth Drannor novel, “on the side,” as it were.
His left side, I’m guessing…

THO
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  19:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Sarelle's Homepage  Click to see Sarelle's MSN Messenger address Send Sarelle a Private Message
Lord Uthlain, his stone giant bodyguards and the rest of the Great Dale waits on tenterhooks for the advent of July!

Seriously, I'm happy to wait. Anything so that we keep Ed living, breathing and keeping the Realms alive along with him! Wish him the best in his endeavors from me (and, I'm sure the rest of Candlekeep), until he can post here again.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  19:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
Greetings,

I was wondering if Ed might not be able to share anything about the city of Northkeep that was sunk beneath the Moonsea way back when. I am not interested in the citys current state of rest (or unrest, what with the ghosts and all), so much as what life was like in the city in those last days.

What did the buildings look like? The roads? Was it entirely inhabited by humans? What about the nearby shoreline? Was it dotted with villages of herders and mining camps?

Anything and everything you can share on this subject would be welcome. It has never been detailed fully as far as I can tell.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  00:15:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
Metis, you might wish to peruse "The Rage" by Richard Lee Byers.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  01:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Metis, I do believe that it has been detailed some small amount in two products. The first is the free web supplement. It was in the Portals of the Moonsea web feature.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20030205a

There was another product that detailed it a small amount. Was that the Sea of Fallen Stars? Curses, I forgot.

Hooded One, I do appreciate all of Ed's answers and help. Please don't take my slight impatience too seriously. Many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  03:11:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

Metis, I do believe that it has been detailed some small amount in two products. The first is the free web supplement. It was in the Portals of the Moonsea web feature.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20030205a

There was another product that detailed it a small amount. Was that the Sea of Fallen Stars? Curses, I forgot.

Hooded One, I do appreciate all of Ed's answers and help. Please don't take my slight impatience too seriously. Many thanks.

There was a couple blurbs about it in the Moonsea product -- not the Sea of Fallen Stars, which isn't in that general vicinity.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  03:39:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Small mention of Northkeep in "Prayers From the Faithful" also.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  04:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
Thank you for all the sources, but as you say... All of those mentioned only provide very little of what I ask. I hope Ed can provide more. And yes, I've just finished the Rage, now back to the War of the Spider Queen series.
Go to Top of Page

The Black Hand of Bane
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  13:03:29  Show Profile  Visit The Black Hand of Bane's Homepage  Send The Black Hand of Bane an AOL message  Send The Black Hand of Bane a Yahoo! Message Send The Black Hand of Bane a Private Message
How could anyone not want a book about Bane?!!!?

In anycase, thanks for the answer Ed and for passing it on Hooded One. It gives alot to think about and how to work on Shar more within my own campaign.

"Here we may reign secure; and in my choice
To reign is worth ambition, though in hell:
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven." John Milton, Paradise Lost

What lies beyond
The Gates of Hell?
Find out this summer at [url=http://community.dicefreaks.com/]Dicefreaks[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  08:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
For once I Im not posting a question, I wanted to draw Eds attention to something one of the guys on the Realms list.

Hes asking about the order of battle for Cormyr ie the regiments etc that make up the Cormyrian army.

and I was wondering if Ed had anything to add

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A1=ind0406b&L=realms-l

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  08:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
The link for the above-mention post is at http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0406B&L=realms-l&P=R2275.

I'd prefer not to be too hard on the author, but I have to note right off the bat that there are some errors in the proposed order of battle. Leaving out that the Purple Dragons (thanks to Duke Bhereu) focus more on smaller unit tactics, the overarching structure is simply wrong. The business of dividing up the kingdom into distinct armies under four knights-marshal that was proposed long ago on the Realms-L isn't correct. The commander of the eastern armies is the Lord High Warden of the Eastern Marches, not "Guardian of the Eastern Reaches." There is no "Army of the Defender of the Western Heights;" there isn't even a Defender of the Western Heights. The western lands of Cormyr are guarded by the forces out of High Horn.

I know it's convenient to try and create a distinct and simple hierarchy for the Purple Dragons, but this tends to lead to the sort of assumptions about real world military tactics and structure that simply aren't the case for Cormyr. The Lord High Marshal of the Kingdom commands the army entire, the Lord High Warden of the Eastern Marches commands the armies of the east (housed in Arabel), and all other forces are commanded by their battlemasters, overswords, and lower officers, some of whom will operate far more independently than modern units could possibly allow.

If there were any other high-ranking officers (such as those suggested in this piece) we'd have heard about them in a supplement long before now.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  15:03:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
The matter of Cormyr’s armies, in the aftermath of DEATH OF THE DRAGON, is a topic I’ve discussed with Ed extensively, thanks to the Realms-list being quite active in the past with posters trying to flesh out the organization and strength of the Purple Dragons.
Wizards has Ed’s notes on this topic, so they’re NDA-covered, but his primary comment was that too many fans “do wrong” when detailing the armies of Cormyr by trying to bolt modern U.S. military command structures and organization onto a fantasy “medieval-to-Renaissance” –era army, in a kingdom where magic rules (the War Wizards) and the nobility dominates . . . and then somehow expecting it all to work.
An earlier poster here asked about the strength of the army right now, post DotD, and Ed’s reply follows:

Well, whatever you need it to be in your own campaign. (No, this reply isn’t a “cop-out.” :} ) There have been aggressive recruitment drives with good pay offers, efforts that are continuing, and remember that the War Wizards can screen out traitors joining the rank-and-file Purple Dragons.
As a result, I’d say that the equipped and ready-for-the-fray total military strength of the Purple Dragons right now would be somewhere around 12,000. However, cavalry would be far fewer than in the past, and many of the Blades are at present low level and having poor training and discipline. However, the combination of fewer idiot nobles as officers, veteran survivor Purple Dragons as many of their officer replacements, and War Wizard scrying vigilance should make the Purple Dragons BETTER disciplined in the long run than they’ve ever been before.
Moreover, Alusair’s early flings with many young nobles have forged a bunch of nobles who are friends with each other AND worship the ground she treads, so the nobles who do become officers (and eventually heads of noble houses, inside or outside her uniformed service) will be far more loyal to her and used to her command style and willing to trust in it (rather than seeking glory or thinking that they know better on the battlefield) will be far greater.

So saith Ed, who is gleefully writing about a certain humorously disastrous revel in Waterdeep right now. Perhaps I should put on my scantiest gown and go….
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000