Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  07:00:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
*dives for the end of the leash* Got it! Mine!

Wow, that is one heck of a tale, Lady Hooded One! There's a lot more going on in that plot than I ever could have dreamed up... And such a colorful phrase on Jhessail's part, too!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  15:02:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, Sirius, the plan is for one Knights book a year, and Ed’s hard at work on the first one now (which reminds me: if any scribe has an existing Realms character, place, event, or item they really would like to see in the Knights trilogy, post it here and I’ll pass it on to Ed – with no guarantees that he’ll use it, of course).
As for Wooly: now that you’ve got my leash, dear, what will you DO with it? (she asked challengingly, eyes flashing and breathing a little faster than usual).
I’ve plenty more Realmslore tales, though most of them aren’t THAT dramatic (we do a lot of slow-paced detecting, asking casual questions, snooping into peoples’ private lives, etc.). I should also mention that we found out later that Elminster-in-Bethra’s-shape showed himself all over Hillsfar whilst we were glubbing our way along the sewers, drawing lots of pursuers after him and in at least one case causing one set of hot-on-the-trail slayers to attack another group of pursuers.
Ah, I hope Ed emerges from writing overload soon. I miss our back’n’forth e-chats.
Warm fires for now,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  15:11:12  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
By "existing" Realms characters do you mean official characters or can we petition (read as "beg") Ed to give throwaway mentions in print to one of our own characters?

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  15:24:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Existing as in official, I'm afraid. Remember when these books will be set (starting back when the Knights are formed as a fledgling chartered adventuring group in Cormyr), too. It's hard to have an unborn being or toddler play a useful role in the sort of book Ed's writing.
Sorry, Gerath and all who pounced on the same idea. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  15:30:16  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Its ok my Lady, was just wondering...

In that case can i vote to see another little mention of House Hiloar in print, perhaps adding a little something to the informative write-up Ed provided us all with?

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  15:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Hooded Lady,

I for one cannot wait for the Knights books. They've actually been the novels I've most been looking forward to since I heard Ed mention them at a seminar at Gen Con '02.

It's very nice of you to volunteer to pass along characters etc. of the Realms to Ed. One of my oldest characters from my first Realms campaign was named Hawk Dragonsbane. He was a ranger that grew up in Shadowdale in the shadow of the Knights (in my campaign). I'd love to see him running around as a child causing havoc in the dale.

Thanks!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  17:28:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
Hello again THO:

I finally got to email my player regarding the Band of Four information you passed along. Below are her comments. Thank you again to EG and yourself for the information.

quote:

Oh boy...<grin> I don't have the fifth book and I was not aware that it was even going to be published. It sounds more like a stand alone whereas the quartet seems to be a series. It sounds very interesting to read.

The second book is just as enjoyable as the first. They are very much 'romps' but the characters are all interesting and you see a lot of political maneuvering. There's a lot of politics in all 3 of the books so far (I'm still reading 3) but a lot of action and swashbuckling witty stuff too. I especially love the smart ass remarks the Four make to each other in the midst of, before, and after combat.

SiriusBlack perks up. Did someone say politics? I love the intrigue such a subject can bring which is one of the reasons I enjoyed Elminster's Daughter so much.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  19:12:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, Sirius, do you have a feast awaiting you! Ed wasn’t able to put HALF what he wanted about the baron-versus-baron intrigues into the books (Brian wanted the action to keep moving and the books to stay light, not turn into George R.R. Martin echoes), but the politics STILL pervades the books.
Let me just give you a teaser: Aglirta is a long, verdant east-west river valley (Silverflow Vale, as in the valley of the Silverflow), and the breadbasket of much of the continent of Asmarand (most of the other settlements of Asmarand that we’ve seen thus far in the series are coastal city-states). There’s a wealthy city, Sirlptar, on both sides of the rivermouth of the silverflow, where it empties into the sea, but it’s independent of Aglirta.
THE KINGLESS LAND is another name for Aglirta, because its king has been “Sleeping” (so legend has it; to most folk, he’s simply gone) for centuries, so the land is ruled by warring barons, each of whom holds a chunk of land somewhere along the river valley. There are outlaws, of course, and the clergies of the Three (gods), plus the VERY-politically-active Church of the Serpent. There are also city- and town-rulers called tersepts, who report to their respective barons. Because the king has been absent for so long, baronial feuds and ambitions hold sway, with various barons trying to hire wizards or mercenaries or both, make alliances with other barons to betray or overwhelm rivals, and so on. Two barons, Blackgult and Silvertree, have risen to become far more powerful than the rest, and as the first novel opens, we – no, I WON’T ruin it for you.
Suffice it to say that there are politics up the wazoo, all over the place. You’re just going to have to read them yourself. Ed has detailed game-specific information about Aglirta up his sleeve for someday, and the only caveat I’ll drop on you is: don’t read THE SILENT HOUSE until after you’ve read the four BOF books.
I love them, as popcorn-devouring, sometimes arch and playful, good-old-fashioned FUN fantasy. What Conan tales might be if Conan had a sense of humour, lots of friends to josh, and his adventures all took place in a Robin Hood setting with lots of fat barons in armor vying for supremacy.
Happy reading!
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  19:25:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
the only caveat I’ll drop on you is: don’t read THE SILENT HOUSE until after you’ve read the four BOF books.

Understood and I shall heed thy advice.

Thank you again THO for your offerings and friendly spirit.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Bergan
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  01:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Bergan's Homepage Send Bergan a Private Message
Indeed THO, thank you for the BoF tidbits. I've got the four books on order right now and you've increased my desire to get stuck in.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  14:54:20  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:
(which reminds me: if any scribe has an existing Realms character, place, event, or item they really would like to see in the Knights trilogy, post it here and I’ll pass it on to Ed – with no guarantees that he’ll use it, of course).

Well that's very kind of Ed, and you THO.

I do have one character - Perendra Raslemtar. After the confusion about Perendra 'Three-Lives' that I asked for Ed and Steven's views on, it would be nice to see her in print. I know she's Tethyrian, so that might be a long shot.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Edited by - Sarelle on 23 Jul 2004 14:59:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  17:52:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Dearest Wooly Rupert, I recall your displeasure over "El's other kids" in ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER. Check out Garen Thal's new thread on the Elminster series, here in Novels, if you haven't already, for a revelation that might ah, mollify you somewhat.
If not, just whisper and * I'll * try some mollification.
Your loving THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  18:45:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Dearest Wooly Rupert, I recall your displeasure over "El's other kids" in ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER. Check out Garen Thal's new thread on the Elminster series, here in Novels, if you haven't already, for a revelation that might ah, mollify you somewhat.
If not, just whisper and * I'll * try some mollification.
Your loving THO

My dear Lady Hooded One, you can mollify me any day you want to!

I shall check out that scroll right now.

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  23:10:53  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Wooley such blatant flirtatous compliments, come on bring out the romantic in you and demonstrate some interesting yet subtle flair in the flirtatous words. You can do it, and beside knowing the Hooded One's personality from this wonderful thread, I am sure that she appreciates creativity, and subtlety, very much. :) Hello Hooded, sorry for being away for so long. Just in case Ed didn't get my message, tell him hello for me and that I am back and very much busy writing again.

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 23 Jul 2004 23:14:17
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  04:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message
Hi, Hooded One,

Someone at the Wizards boards asked the question: Why so many devils in Myth Drannor? This poster mentioned how devils appear in abundance in the ruins of Myth Drannor in novels like Spellfire and the recent Extinction, while sourcebooks don't always back that up. He was also curious as to the number of devils when it was yugoloths who besieged Myth Drannor so long ago, not devils.

Is there any information concerning this?

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  10:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

Hi, Hooded One,

Someone at the Wizards boards asked the question: Why so many devils in Myth Drannor? This poster mentioned how devils appear in abundance in the ruins of Myth Drannor in novels like Spellfire and the recent Extinction, while sourcebooks don't always back that up. He was also curious as to the number of devils when it was yugoloths who besieged Myth Drannor so long ago, not devils.

Is there any information concerning this?

Well met

Indeed. Please see this scroll, Crust which should hopefully provide you with information on the matter.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  14:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message
Thanks, Alaundo.

I just realized that the above topic was started here at Candlekeep, not at Wizards. How silly of me.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  01:46:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes.
Ed of the Greenwood remains in the ranks of the frantically overworked, most recently taking on some matters for WotC, a certain nearby moderator, and a fellow scribe rising to the status of co-conspirator (yes, you, "B" :} and he’ll get back to you VERY soon), so I feel moved to take up the torch once more and tell another tale of the Realms.
Oh, Faraer: in Ed’s ‘home’ Realms, psionics doesn’t work through the Weave, and therefore stands apart from magic, can work in dead-magic zones, etc. As for 3.5e WotC Realms, Ed’s not so sure . . . :}
Now (gentle flourish of harp strings) let us journey together back to a certain hot summer night in Waterdeep, and the unexpected arrival there of the Knights of Myth Drannor, stumbling through a hitherto-unknown gate (3e “portal”) in Tilverton (and so probably now destroyed, though knowing Ed it might still exist, invisible and now floating high in midair, awaiting the unwary) that whisked us to a particular alleyway in Dock Ward.
We arrived in the midst of a startled Watch patrol, who were investigating their third identical murder of the night: all of the victims were Waterdhavian shopkeepers, and all of them had been throat-slit, tossed out of windows or otherwise from a height, and then dragged or cart-carried to be left elsewhere, with black masks affixed to their shattered heads.
Duty magists of the Watchful Order had been summoned to get some answers from the corpses, and so were on the scene when we appeared out of thin air. Naturally, they reacted by hurling spells, so some of us hurled spells right back, and others of us busily sent Watchmen off to dreamland -- and the chase was on.
Disgusted at being dumped into the midst of yet another run-and-fight crisis, and determined to enjoy the pleasures of Waterdeep by night, Torm and Rathan gave the Watch and the rest of us the slip, and set out into Castle Ward, seeking a nobles’ revel to crash -- and a twit-nose noble or other to jump and impersonate, so as to gain an invitation.
They were wildly in luck, for once. With the Watch still in hot pursuit but delayed by the rest of us Knights, Torm and Rathan found a swaggering dolt and defeated him . . . much to the delight of two VERY affectionate and good-looking young noble ladies, who’d been wondering how they could safely (i.e. without entering Dock Ward after dark) pick up a pair of genuine adventurers -- because the revel they were heading to was a “bring your own pet adventurer” affair.
So Torm and Rathan shortly found themselves at an unfamiliar noble villa, wearing ridiculously stylish black masks (nothing to do with the masked corpses, as far as we know) and staring at a lot of opportunistic Zhent trade agents, visiting outlander sneak thieves, and dashing young find-my-fortune blades of Tethyr who were in turn looking around for loot they could snatch and run off with. Things were complicated by a heavy and competent watchguard of senior Watchful Order wizards, great numbers of well-trained and -equipped noble house bodyguards, and (heh heh) certain members of the Company of Crazed Venturers. As Rathan put it, “’Twas like watching a priestess of Shar and one of Selune reach for the same goblet on a revel tray, and knowing what was about to erupt, and being able to do utterly NOTHING to stop it.”
Someone made an ill-advised snatch, someone else groped a beauteous young noble lady who was more than begging for it, and a third someone backhanded away an ancient, wrinked, and overpainted noblewoman who was insistently demanding “a little adventure,” and the place erupted. Which was just about the time the rest of us Knights arrived at a run to find Torm and Rathan (located by Jhessail’s spells) and get the hell out of DodgXXXX er, Waterdeep, with half the City Watch and most of the Watchful Order hot on our heels.
Our solution was to plunge right into the revel and try to use it for cover as we got out the other side. Unfortunately, Torm wanted some souvenirs of the dazzling gemstone variety -- and when they wouldn’t come loose, he took along their screaming, airheaded young noble wearer, jewelry, diaphanous silks, and all.
Unfortunately, she could be spell-traced, once missed, and didn’t welcome the thought of a quick trip through the sewers. So we took to the rooftops instead, and to the music of her screams leapt and pelted back across a lot of Waterdeep to where a gate we knew of (in the City of the Dead) awaited.
Unfortunately for us (sense a theme here?), some of Waterdeep’s finest are quite competent, and there was an ambush awaiting us.
An energetic fight ensued, and Torm was finally forced to literally toss the screaming young lass at them to let us avoid a toasting spell and get back through the gate . . . whereupon we enjoyed ANOTHER nice little chase, this one through Tilverton with a posse of angry Waterdhavian Watch and Watchful Order magists (who’d come through the gate) after us.
Now, Tilverton likes outlanders trying to impose law in their streets and taverns no better than the rest of us, so the moment Torm led us all into a tavern, general fun broke out, and we made our escape.
Damned if Torm and Rathan didn’t go right back through the gate, Torm looking for his young gem-lass and Rathan insisting we do SOMEthing to solve those murders.
Which won us a tenday of dogged detective work, with half the Waterdhavian authorities stalking US . . . until Torm found the gem-lass, Mirt found HIM, and Florin and Jhessail stepped in to do a little fast talking that won us special within-the-walls status as agents of Mirt, and a strong suggestion that we go home, right now, and stay there for a time. Thankfully, we did so, and were settling down to a well-earned feast in the Twisted Tower when Torm revealed the gems he’d just, er, happened to borrow from an incoming paychest on Mirt’s hall table. So, yes, we didn’t go back to Waterdeep for a season or so. :}
Just another lazy pair of evenings of Realmsplay (the second one covered the detective work).
Swash cloaks and blades high for now, fellow scribes!
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Jul 2004 01:50:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  08:12:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Lurue's Horn... That adventure right there would likely make for a fun novel. Thank you for sharing, dear Hooded Lady!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2004 08:15:34
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  12:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
Hi Hooded One could please send this to Ed's way, I want to know how far in Science has Forgotten Realm progressed?. Since in my mind they rely alot on magic, and the development of Science skills seem to be at much slower rate then in our world. But like it says in my copy of Sorcery & Steam, one way to introduce advance tech like Steam is will an invading or group that comes through one of those portals, or a Steam-Punk Goddess discovers Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  13:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
In some ways its probably in the 15th century for example Muskets appeared just after the Time of Troubles (Much to my Disgust)theyve crossed the Ocean to Maztica.

In other ways there almost 20th century if you count magic, Khelban Blackstaff has a Magical Fridge and there was a Trading Company in Waterdeep who became the Faerunian Fedex (they used Flying creatures to transport cargo from Waterdeep to Silverymoon). In otherways I doubt the Forgotten Realms will ever evolve, i dont think you'll ever see a Democracy in the FR most nations states are to unstable to support such a concept and several regions are gripped with Religious Theocracys

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  18:32:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

In some ways its probably in the 15th century for example Muskets appeared just after the Time of Troubles (Much to my Disgust)theyve crossed the Ocean to Maztica.

In other ways there almost 20th century if you count magic, Khelban Blackstaff has a Magical Fridge and there was a Trading Company in Waterdeep who became the Faerunian Fedex (they used Flying creatures to transport cargo from Waterdeep to Silverymoon).

Aurora does the same as well, except with teleport and her outlets can be found all over the place. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  18:40:15  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
quote:

... and there was a Trading Company in Waterdeep who became the Faerunian Fedex (they used Flying creatures to transport cargo from Waterdeep to Silverymoon).

where did you read of them? the only "fedex-trader" i know is a human who´s riding some sort of "artic mantaray", his name escapes me atm. but a whole company? that would be interesting, i really like to get my hands on them!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  22:57:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

... and there was a Trading Company in Waterdeep who became the Faerunian Fedex (they used Flying creatures to transport cargo from Waterdeep to Silverymoon).

where did you read of them? the only "fedex-trader" i know is a human who´s riding some sort of "artic mantaray", his name escapes me atm. but a whole company? that would be interesting, i really like to get my hands on them!

It was in the latest Arilyn and Danilo book by Elaine Cunningham

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  23:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Hooded One,

In your last little Knights tale there, Torm apparently kidnapped a young female noble from a revel with the intention of robbing her blind. If I understand the tale correctly, the rest of the knights rolled right along with this, fighting off the Waterdhavian forces and helping him escape. Then, after escaping, they followed him back and assisted him in tracking her down with the intention of kidnapping, robbing, and otherwise traumatizing her AGAIN, only stopping to smooth things over when finally confronted by Mirt (otherwise known as Ed) wagging his finger at them.

So my question is: at what point do the other Knights (particularly the ones that lean toward the 'Lawful' or 'Good' ends of the spectrum) stop blithely backing Torm up in his criminal activities, knock him senseless, and drag him back to Shadowdale to spend some time in a cell, thinking over his misdeeds? Bailing him out of trouble he gets into while harrassing the bad guys or having his back when he gets into the occasional harmless scandal with some young girl are one thing. However, aiding and abetting a marauding, unrepentant kidnapper and armed robber would seem to fall outside the comfort zone of Florin, at the very least...

Not disapproving or anything. Just curious how you guys work that sort of party conflict out in practice. I know you have to cut slack to your fellow players in running their PCs and that having a tight group with a long history covers a lot of ground, but I guess I just have a hard time picturing the more responsible members of the Knights not immediately putting a firm stop to that sort of thing. ;)

Either way: thanks for sharing the stories, THO. Very enlightening and much appreciated. The obvious amusement factor aside, your sharing further enriches the lore we all love. Keep 'em coming if you're feeling inspired to do so... ;)

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  23:30:33  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Karth,
I will bet my two coppers that it involves alot of sidetracking using a few barrels of ale and fine clothing...among other things...

Bakra
"Did I mention tons of b.s.?"

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  03:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Karth,
I will bet my two coppers that it involves alot of sidetracking using a few barrels of ale and fine clothing...among other things...

Bakra
"Did I mention tons of b.s.?"

Hmmm... Maybe Torm on a unicycle, wearing a bed sheet with two eyeholes poked in it? Look kids: it's a WATCHGHOST!!

Nah, that must have been an episode of Scooby-Doo... ;)

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  08:28:59  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
There appears to be a limit to what Torm can freely get away with. If you'll recall from one of the novels, Dove once put his head in a bucket of live fish and didn't let him up until the bubbles ran out. I would guess this is how a roudy and free-wheeling adventuring group displays it's lack of patience concerning our nimble 'hero'. :)

- Simon, who is *very* patiently awaiting a reply to a query from Ed. :)

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  09:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
Ok then Hooded One, if FR is at the 15the Century level so there science should reflect this. Now does any of those portals lead to more advance worlds?, also is possable to bring Steam tech into FR?.

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  16:22:36  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard

Ok then Hooded One, if FR is at the 15the Century level so there science should reflect this. Now does any of those portals lead to more advance worlds?, also is possable to bring Steam tech into FR?.

Just some comments regarding published Realmslord.

Ogmah, god of knowledge, is served by both Deneir and Milil. He's also served by Gond, god of artifice. Although many people forget this connection or are just unaware of it. The reason for that is that there is a great deal of tension between Gond and Oghma. Gond wants to release technology in to the world, as soon as possible. Oghma, as god of knowledge, regulates the spread of knowledge. Oghma basically doesn't allow Gond to spread much technology, most likely because of his close association with Mystra, goddess of magic. Although this isn't stated anyplace, I would guess that smokepowder managed to get under the radar because Gond gave it to the Lantaneese during the Time of Troubles.

So really, what technology functions in the realms is up to Gond. And through Gond, Oghma. It would not surprise me if technology that worked on one world would simply fail to function when brought to another. Or maybe it would function and be considered as a technological artifact of some sort, but be impossible to replicate. Copies just fail to work, even when it's exactly the same.

And there's my haypenny's worth of information and opinion. :)

- S

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000