Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  14:24:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I fired your queries to Ed, Rad. He's at (library) work now, and not at liberty to type long replies, but he says your cities query should be taken care of, "albeit slowly," but that he'll write up more about the Stormlight matter and hand it to me for posting here.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  15:42:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
There. That doesn't reveal TOO much, I think (there are rules about these things, I'm afraid).

Boy those companies can be touchy about NDAs can't they? I think that teaser should be safe and thank you THO and Ed Greenwood for conveying the information. Moreover, I don't know who came up with an idea to focus a bit on Yuan-Ti and their like in this novel series or the gaming product, but whoever did, many thanks. That race has so much potential for intrigue.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  16:32:59  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message
quote:

Okay, Ed just teased me about my following the rules comment, and added a question for all scribes of Candlekeep: what details of the Realms ("little lore" rather than huge topics) do you think have been thus far neglected in print? What would you like to see addressed (in novels, in game products, in website and magazine columns...anywhere and by anyone)?
Whoo. A biggie. I've already given him *my* shopping list. :}

I think the Old Empires have been neglected, and I would like to have more information about them. I would also like some information on the Duergar Kingdom underneath Rasheman mentioned in the Unnapproachable East book (the Underdark book did not mention it at all!).
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  16:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

I think the Old Empires have been neglected, and I would like to have more information about them. I would also like some information on the Duergar Kingdom underneath Rasheman mentioned in the Unnapproachable East book (the Underdark book did not mention it at all!).

I believe there was rumor recently (over the past couple of months) of a new FR sourcebook for the Old Empires. Dont know if the rumor mill was churning out falsehoods or not.

Yeah I agree with the Duergar coverage

quote:

I fired your queries to Ed, Rad. He's at (library) work now, and not at liberty to type long replies, but he says your cities query should be taken care of, "albeit slowly," but that he'll write up more about the Stormlight matter and hand it to me for posting here.

Wow that sounds promising? is that a loose hint of work on a new FR Cities sourcebook? ::drool:: Iriaebor is one of my particular favorites by the way

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  17:47:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Okay, Ed just teased me about my following the rules comment, and added a question for all scribes of Candlekeep: what details of the Realms ("little lore" rather than huge topics) do you think have been thus far neglected in print? What would you like to see addressed (in novels, in game products, in website and magazine columns...anywhere and by anyone)?
Whoo. A biggie. I've already given him *my* shopping list. :}

I know what I've always wanted to see ever since I read Spellfire/Crown of Fire.

Ceremonies of the deities. Marriage, death, birth, coming of age, etc.

I know there was the 2e trilogy and the 3e book but it always seemed to me, that the mortal followers of the pantheons should have seperate ceremonies and rituals for each deity for death, marriage (yes I've read Ed's reply about marriage in FR, over on the mailing list and it made me hunger for these things even more!), birth, coming of the age, etc....

I know that's a lot of information, or maybe Ed doesn't agree with me :), and those would be enough to fill a book by itself!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Mar 2004 17:49:43
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  19:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ten topics that seem suitable to cover in "Realmslore":

Coins of vanished realms
...and the realms themselves, such as those in The Temptation of Elminster
Herblore
More language lore, such as oaths (to answer a previous question, "Dark" and "Dark and empty" are Ed's via Paul Kemp)
A revised and expanded "Music of the Forgotten Realms" with Elaine Cunningham
Shree, Silver Morn, and Talath Hawksund
Any of the lost "Life in Faerûn"-chapter material, and especially the "day in the life of a farmer" piece
Druidic circles and hierarchy, and the Circle of Shadowdale
Magic of communication (farspeak et al.), or of translocation, or of wizardly healing
Assortment of local festivals
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  20:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I know that's a lot of information, or maybe Ed doesn't agree with me :), and those would be enough to fill a book by itself!

Indeed. But perhaps Mr. Greenwood could sell a book to his editors. Something like:

Ceremonies and Celebrations

You hold in your hands your guide to the special occasions
of the world of the Forgotten Realms. Both solemn and joyful,
complicated and simple, these are the ways that various peoples
honor their fallen heros, herald a new year, and celebrate the
aniversary of important events. These are the times that your
characters look forward to in their lives, or the occasions
that they dread to observe.

. . . or something to that effect.

I'm also very interested in things like medical knowledge. Do the people of the Realms know what makes a body tick, or is everything trial and error? Are there wrong assumptions, such as Galen's teachings? Would they know about pasturization? Or is everything just dependant on magic, save for some simple herb lore?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  22:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
My list for Ed

A 2nd Gods book perhaps "Powers and Avatars"

This book would however focus on the churches, it would include such details as in what towns and cities each deities churches could be found. Also write ups for all the Paladin and monk orders while a few where covered in the FRC many more orders have yet to be detailed ie all those in SKRs F&P web enhancement

Id like to see something on the Mines of Tethyamar.

A novel on the Return of Bane written in the same format that Cormyr and Evermeet where written.

Id also like to see any additional gods that didnt make it into F&P (most of them are monster gods) put it into the apporiate regional supplement, for example I would have liked to have seen an F&P type write up for Ilsene (the god of the Mind flayers and Blibdoolpoolp (god of the Kuo Tuo) in the Underdark source book and of cause the Dragon deitys in Serpent Kingdoms.

Id also like to see an Old empires regional source book especially giving mention to Mourktar and the Temple of Bane located there (which according to Faithes and Avatars is Banes largest)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  23:04:31  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech
I think the Old Empires have been neglected, and I would like to have more information about them.

There was a great 2nd Ed accessory for the Old Empires (FR10), which I'm using for information on Chessenta in Maiden. I think Ed Bolme used it as well on Alabaster Staff. Pehaps they'll do an update after the events in my book. (Just conjecture on my part, I have heard no official word.)

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  00:28:24  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
Kameron, there's an unofficial updated version of the Old Empires supplement by its original author, Scott Bennie, on this site:

http://members.tripod.com/KingsTears/scott_bennie.htm

Since it's not an official WotC source, I don't know how much of it, if any, you could use for the book, but it could be interesting anyway.

Edited by - Finglas Leaflock on 04 Mar 2004 00:29:09
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  01:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. I've been in contact with Ed and Eric Boyd about any official updates. Which reminds me, I need to shoot off another email about the origins of the half-sunken city inhabited by the werecrocodiles in Adder Swamp. Perhaps THO could pass the inquiry along to Ed for me.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Taigis
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  03:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Taigis's Homepage Send Taigis a Private Message
I really must agree with the comment encouraging development of a product detailing the various cities, city maps especially. Some of the maps in the FRA were very nice. I'd like to see more cities mapped out like this.

Taigis
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  04:41:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
I think Bookwyrm's idea of a product listing the various ceremonies and celebrations is wonderful. Whether this was broken down in a geographic or religious format, I'd be interested.

Ditto on any book that gives descriptions about some of the churches in certain locations throughout Faerun.

I do not wish to see anything be it novel or gaming product focused on the deities themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  05:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
I'd like to see more Realmslore articles simliar to the Volo's Guide series. These need not necessarily be written by Volo (since the scamp seems to have gone missing) but people who live in these places. I absolutely LOVE the articles Ed did on Wizards.com involving Silverymoon (My Slice of Silverymoon By Chesmyr Morrowynd [as told to Ed Greenwood]) and a regularly released series detailing various locales would be great! Especially in those areas that have recieved very little in terms of Volo's Guide coverage (the MOONSEA)!

I'd also like to see material on the various ceremonies and holy days of the various religions and people of Faerûn.

Maps and information on cities as per FRA would also be just lovely.

Here's a link to the material I mentioned above (My Slice of Silverymoon) for those of you who've not had a chance to read it: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20020821x

Edited by - Herr Doktor on 04 Mar 2004 05:34:18
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  06:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage
Ah, Moonsea. Perhaps one of my favorite regions of the Realms, due in large part to the original Pool of Radiance crpg.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  07:22:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Here's a question for Mr. Greenwood that I like to think about from time to time...Besides the information collected at the (very detailed) Myth-Drannor.net site regarding the Stag Kingdom, will we ever see some form of sourcebook, or series of online articles that go into more detail about the former lands of Athalantar...?

I'm not suggesting a product on par with the 2e Arcane Age accessories, but anything at this point would be welcome, not to mention very interesting...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  07:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Sage, I can't quote directly, but I believe Rich Baker said that Wizards of the Coast has plans for material about fallen empires and kingdoms of the past that may contain something on The Stag Kingdom.
Go to Top of Page

Josh Davids
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  07:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Josh Davids's Homepage Send Josh Davids a Private Message
Hmm been thinking about this one all night, the one I wanted addressed the yaun-ti are already being done, needless to say I grinned from ear to ear seeing that in the upcoming releases.

I got to agree with the others about the duergar, I am working on a duergar character up in a short story or two and didn’t realize how little information is on them. Also gotta agree with the beastial deities, I was hoping they would have been in faiths and pantheons but alas they weren’t I am currently trying to track down an old copy of demi human deities.

About he only thing I can think of right at the moment, about to pass out at the key board from lack of sleep, is more short stories and not necessarily in a anthology series, just short stories based in the realms maybe posted on the site every three or four months a new one added. That way expand on the realms stories told, give authors a chance to either catch up on old characters or make news ones and who knows if WoTC opens it up to people a chance for writers to start some place, plus like I said before expand on the realms one story at a time. Don’t know how feasible this is, but be an interesting idea I think. Personally I would like to see more personal stories in the realms rather then realm shaking events features stories in kingdoms or moving about the realms. Why I miss the harper series and why I can’t wait to get the complete set of the sembia series, I like the personal conflict stories.

I think this was mentioned before, a lord of darkness but rather then being evil for the good guys, wouldn’t mind seeing that as well.

That is all I can think off, starting to see a little silver weasel sitting atop my screen, never a good thing, trust me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  08:26:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Sage, I can't quote directly, but I believe Rich Baker said that Wizards of the Coast has plans for material about fallen empires and kingdoms of the past that may contain something on The Stag Kingdom.

Hmmm...that definitely sounds interesting. If you ever locate the source of this quote, let me know...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  09:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Hmmm...that definitely sounds interesting. If you ever locate the source of this quote, let me know...

I believe its in the current ask Richard Baker thread

He said they had plans to do a "Fallen Kingdoms" and that could include maps for lost kingdoms like Netheril

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  10:04:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ah yes...I'd forgotten about this little fountain of information on all things D&D...

So, we'll have maps, and possibly with that, some source-information.

Any speculative release date put forth for this tome yet...?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  10:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ah yes...I'd forgotten about this little fountain of information on all things D&D...

So, we'll have maps, and possibly with that, some source-information.

Any speculative release date put forth for this tome yet...?

Aparently theres a third FR book coming out later this year (likely 3rd or 4th quarter) now this could be either the "Fallen empires" book or it could be the Old Empires source book that was aparently hinted at at Gencon last year

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  10:28:06  Show Profile
Likely 4th, as most of the 3rd Quarter releases have already been revealed...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  18:07:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Okay, folks. Ed hath spoken once more:

Hello, all! Thy eager communications are ringing about the Greenwood. :}
Rad, I have to be careful what I say about cities, but let me go this far: I wasn’t picturing a Realms sourcebook when I answered you. (Gads, I’m having to pick words as carefully as a politician! Or rather, far more carefully than SOME politicians. :})
However, on a happier note, I’m clear to give you information on Firefall Vale. I’ll leave it until last.
Border Kingdoms: Me, too. I’ll suggest it again, along with Volo’s Guides, and when Volo gets shot down (as usual), perhaps Border Kingdoms will still be standing. Perhaps.
Vaasa and Damara aren’t part of my original Realms, and I’m probably not the guy to do justice to them, but you’ve got me thinking. :}
Old Empires, yes, deserve a sourcebook. Time will tell. As for the duergar kingdom, I believe I’ll be stepping on toes if I try to detail anything there.
Kuje and Bookwyrm, I’m in enthusiastic agreement about rituals, ceremonies, and all of that. Unfortunately, time and again that’s been shelved (in the early days because of the “bad satanic press” argument, and latterly because of “too limited appeal/sales”), so I’ll have to find some other way of getting such information to Realms fans. As I’ve said many a time before, I care little about the doings of the gods themselves (aside from the Time of Troubles, almost all divine doings happen offstage anyway, and mortals have no way to be certain of the truth of anything they’re told about them), but very much about what their priesthoods DO on a daily basis in the Realms, from the “we don’t wear pink, and we pray this way” level up to the “our creed is this, but secretly we strive to do that.” I will suggest this project, but it won’t be for the first time. That’s why I asked for “little lore,” because I have no way of bringing about “big lore” except by pestering people, and that route loses effectiveness fast.
Faraer, you’re right on, as usual, and all of your topics will go on my “list of suggestions for approval” for the next raft of Realmslore columns. As you know, those are written way in advance, so we may all be noticeably older before you see any of them, but rest assured, I have heard and agree.
Bookwyrm, I see medical knowledge as varying widely across the Realms, but being highest among demi-humans, because tending humans has been one longterm way of being accepted in human-dominated communities. Herb lore is predominant, coupled with “potions” (herbal concoctions, not magic) effective in dealing with minor diseases, allergic reactions, and shock. The organs of all humanoid races are known, plus the general functioning of the body (hence what shock is, and how to treat it), how blood ‘works,’ and the importance of cleanliness for wounds (though most folks in the Realms have what we modern real-world types would consider bad personal hygiene and BAD teeth, though persons desiring to make a good impression who can’t get a chance to bathe properly will work scented oils into their hair and rub scented oils on their bodies to change their strong odour into something less unpleasant).
In the Realms, almost everyone understands that ill or wounded people need rest, to be covered by a blanket or at least kept out of full sun, that moving or rough handling will do greater harm, and that people should be given much to drink (even in cases where we moderns would say, “No, not even if complaining of thirst should Thrudd be given water or something stronger, because he’s hurt inside!”). Stretchers and slings are commonly used, and where a stretcher can’t be found, injured who must be carried are usually lashed to felled treetrunks and borne along between the shoulders of two strong carriers.
Scarring is common, because cauterization is well-known. Herbal painkillers (usually liquids that are “brewed” and drunk, but also liquids drizzled into wounds) are widely known and used, especially before someone is “sewn up,” and there are herbs known in the Realms but not present in the real-world, including fleshwort (yes, I know we have several plants by that folk name, but I’m postulating a new and different plant) that can be sewn into an internal wound, and slowly absorbed by the body as raw material to build new tissue, blood vessels, and cartilage, bloodstaunch (which thickens blood very quickly upon direct contact, and so can be applied to open wounds to slow or stop bleeding), and bloodpurge (works to neutralize poisons).
Splinting is common, many beings are expert at neatly sewing flesh, and yes, body piercings (especially among goblinkin) and the importance of using flame or alcohol (not together!) to prevent infections related to said piercings are commonplace. (Note that it is not currently the fashion anywhere in the Heartlands to make use of facial piercings except in the nostrils and earlobes.)
Herb lore was another of the things strictly vetoed in the early days of the Realms (along with poisons, my terms of venery article, and my “Dragon Soup” article on using monster byproducts in human Realms cookery; the first two for “we don’t want lawsuits if kids try these” reasons despite my promise to use entirely fictional herbs and poisons, the terms of venery because it was “unnecessary fluff,” and the last one for the “some of these creatures are intelligent, so your article is in very bad taste”). More recently, the gnome vocabulary and heraldry Volo’s articles suffered the same fate, but as they’re owned by WotC, I can’t put them into print without permission.
Dargoth, your list is all “big lore,” and thus beyond my unaided powers (“Hah! The Realms imperilled again! Stand back, gentles -- only my unaided powers can save us now!”), but I’ll see what I can do re. Tethyamar, okay?

Which brings us at last to Firefall. Thanks to STORMLIGHT, you know where in easternmost Cormyr Firefall Vale is, in the district of Northtrees March, hard against the Thunder Peaks and the northern edge of Hullack Forest, and that it has traditionally been ruled by Lord Summerstar from his castle at its western end, Firefall Keep.
In the early days of Cormyr, Glothgam Summerstar (the founder of House Summerstar and its first Lord) used the magical Sword of Summer Winds to slay and drive away red dragons after they attacked Glothgam’s encampment with a mighty spell that turned the waters of the Brook to flame (giving the Vale its name), and so claimed the valley as his own.
I’m going to pull some SPOILERS here, though they shouldn’t really ruin your enjoyment (or if you hate it, lack of same :}) of STORMLIGHT if you just read on. (By the way, if anyone reading this wants the true measure of Storm’s character, read pages 114 through 121, and page 192, of the novel.)
Generations later, Glothgam’s descendant Rauvor was the Lord of Firefall Vale. After Lord Rauvor Summerstar’s death, of a wasting fever decades before the events of STORMLIGHT, his bride became the Dowager Lady Pheirauze Summerstar, and -- as an haughty, imperious and coldly beautiful noblewoman widely known (though not to her face) as “Dowager Lady Daggertongue”-- outlived her son (Pyramus) and her grandson, being in her sixties at the time of STORMLIGHT. She became romantically involved with no less than three generations of the Illance noble family (one after another, not all at once!) but never remarried. Pheirauze was very intelligent, very strong-willed, and very used to getting her own way in everything: spreading and using her personal influence to govern others is what she does.
Rauvor had one brother, Hergrest, who predeceased him. Hergrest married a quiet, strong-willed sorceress, Harper, and adventurer, Maerla Downhand, but it was a true (though childless) love-match, and she survived him only by four summers.
Lord Pyramus Summerstar was the eldest of five sons of Rauvor and Pheirauze. Eldest to youngest, the brothers of Pyramus were the mage Orm Hlannan Summerstar, the warriors Darandar and Brezm, and the womanizer and rogue Lord Erlandar Summerstar (the only one still alive when STORMLIGHT begins). After birthing sons, Pheirauze gave Rauvor three daughters: Dalestra, Margort and Nalanna, and the latter two (both ‘maiden aunts’) are still alive at the time of STORMLIGHT.
Pyramus wed the timid and mostly silent Zarova Battlestar (of House Battlestar of West Shore not far along the coast west from Suzail, who became the second Dowager Lady Summerstar, and -- like Pheiauze --outlived both Pyramus and Athlan).
Lord Pyramus married Zarova only after his secret marriage to Princess Sulesta (daughter of King Rhigaerd) was annulled by mutual agreement (and furious pressure from the War Wizards to undo the match and never to speak of it) after their love cooled. Thanks to War Wizard precautions, Pyramus did not sire any children with Sulesta.
Lord Pyramus was succeeded by his son Lord Athlan Summerstar (a Harper), who perishes in the first few pages of STORMLIGHT, leaving his stunningly beautiful, wanton younger sister Shayna as heir. Their cousin is the womanizing fop Sir Thalance Summerstar, the bastard son of Baelangar Harth (a local forester -- ranger -- of common birth), and Lady Dalestra Summerstar. Baelangar was killed by wolves whilst defending his lady when they were caught in a fierce winter storm while travelling overland during a very hard winter, a decade before STORMLIGHT. As STORMLIGHT begins, Shayna, Thalance, Erlandar, Zarova, Pheirauze, and two daughters of Darandar not named in the novel but present at the feasts, Myara and Calaumdra, are still alive and dwelling in the Keep.
Firefall Vale is the long, lushly green valley (prone to spring flooding) carved by Turnwyrm Brook on its descent from the Thunder Peaks to join the River Immerflow. It runs for some five miles east to west, being about a mile wide at its midpoint and much narrower at both ends. At its eastern end, the Vale hooks to the southeast, and ends at the Cascades, a series of falls that brings the Brook down into it from a higher, narrower ‘upper Vale’ that runs for another two miles southeast back into the mountains.
Vale folk keep many small flocks of sheep and goats are kept in the upper Vale and in the many small, nameless valleys around the Vale itself. The Vale is bordered and surrounded by knife-sharp rocky ridges, and there are rumored to be ‘ghost dragons’ lurking in the nearby peaks, one of which is Mount Glendaborr.
The nearest neighboring noble holdings are Hawkhar to the northwest (high rolling hills where fine horses are bred and reared for sale) held by House Indesm, and Galdyn’s Gorge, south along the Immerflow (known for its gorge-side caverns where mushrooms are grown, gems mined, and vralo, a VERY strong-flavored mushroom wine, is made), home of House Yellander. (Vralo, pronounced “vrAL-oh,” is an amber-hued drink made by adding fermented mushroom essence, the juice produced when certain smoky-tasting small, brown, and wrinkled cavern mushrooms are crushed, to an undistinguised sour white wine made locally from grapes and known to most as “horsepiss.” It’s very much an acquired taste, but many Vale folk seem to have done the necessary acquiring.)
Firefall Keep is a much smaller small stone fortress since the events of STORMLIGHT. Its formerly predominant Haunted Tower, Twilight Turret, Hall of Honor, and Gargoyle Stair are all gone, leaving it much changed.
Today, the oldest and tallest part of the castle is the West Front of three original towers (Darkwind, Nalvor’s, and Scorchedshields), with their tall, north-south linking wall. Darkwind, the northernmost of the three, is linked by a battlement running east to the North Room (a semi-circular dining hall raised atop the rebuilt kitchens and pantries). From the North Room, the outer walls run southeast to a new, smaller tower, Ladytower, where the walls turn south for a short run to the matching new tower of Braceguilt.
Ladytower is the living quarters of the current Lord and Lady Summerstar, and Braceguilt contains guest apartments (with the quarters of the seneschal and guards at ground level, beneath them).
The original gate between Nalvor’s and Scorchedshields opens west onto the end of the coach road linking Firefall with the rest of Cormyr, as it always did, and a second gate, between Ladytower and Braceguilt, now opens east into the rest of the Vale.
A modest battlement wall runs east from Scorchedshields to a large, misshapen new tower known as the Armory. From there the wall turns northeast for a short run to Braceguilt, completing the outside edge of the Keep and enclosing a large courtyard now largely given over to gardens. The stables and granary cellars run along the inside of this south wall, and there are known to be underground passages beneath the courtyard and the ring of battlement walls linking all of the Keep towers to each other and to the (original) Summerstars crypt and dungeons.
It’s not necessary to pass through the Keep to enter and leave the Vale: a wide wooden bridge arches over Turnwyrm Brook just west of the castle, and carries the main cart-road over to the south bank of the Brook and along it east into the Vale proper. For most of the length of the Vale, cart-tracks run along both banks of the Brook, and are linked by cross-bridges at Dunstone Farm, Marthtree, and Bottomstones (at the base of the Cascades). Only agile hikers can ascend beyond Bottomstones, but there are rope-anchors (huge rings hammered into the rocks) to allow heavy goods to be raised or lowered from one Vale to another. At least one person took a cart up into the upper Vale in this manner, but carts can’t pass freely from one Vale to another except in a spectacularly crashing descent.
After the events of STORMLIGHT, the war wizard Sir Broglan Sarmyn wed Lady Shayna Summerstar, and was created Lord Summerstar in his own right. Broglan and Shayna have three children. In order of birth, they are Ileira (daughter, now four years of age), Storm (daughter, now two, and yes, named for Storm Silverhand, a naming that some say caused Lady Margort Summerstar to die of mortification), and Rauvoril (son, just approaching his first birthday).
The battles in STORMLIGHT took a heavy toll; the only other Summerstars still living are Thalance and Erlandar. Thalance spends most of his time in Suzail these days, making friends and seducing ladies with energy enough to have some chance at catching up to the exploits and reputation of his Uncle Erlandar, who has settled into being the Lord Warden (captain of the guard and police) of the Vale, and slowed his seductions to one or two per season.
Broglan and Shayna are a happy couple, and their kindnesses and sharings of food and shelter in winter have made them much loved by the several hundred folk who call the Vale home. They are widely regarded as “good” and “just” by the locals, whose loyalty is strong—and bolstered by the fact that Cormyr often seems to reach out with cordial interest to Firefall Vale. Part of that is due to Ergluth Rowanmantle, still Boldshield of Northtrees March, part to Broglan’s rank as a War Wizard, and part to Storm Silverhand’s deeds in STORMLIGHT.
Harpers and War Wizards are now most welcome in Firefall Keep, and the place has become something of a retirement destination for folk of Cormyr whose colourful pasts or careers lead them to seek seclusion. These retirees have considerable coin to invest, and are sponsoring the transport of the goods of local artisans who craft pretty (and inexpensive) jewelry by cutting and polishing tiny sections of certain local stones and stringing them into bracelets, pectorals, and necklaces to markets in Arabel and Suzail, where these affordable adornments are gaining great popularity among the merchant classes.
The Vale proper has many spreading blueleaf trees (and in the upper Vale, even a few weirwoods), but is dominated by small farm fields bounded by rubble-stone walls. Most Vale farmers dwell in single-story cottages built of fieldstone where two or more field-walls meet, and roofed in wooden shingles or slates, sealed with pitch. The homes have storage cellars beneath, because long, harsh winters force prudent folk to preserve and store a lot of food and drink. Bitter-root beer and goat cheeses thickly sealed in wax are staples of such larders, and mint and “rock fur” (lichen) jellies are popular homemade condiments.
Vale farms produce local food crops (radishes, cabbages, apples, nuts, and potatoes), chickens, and hogs. The morning and evening mists coupled with bright hours of sunlight have always made this tiny area a verdant, prosperous slice of paradise, and young sons of the Vale seeking work have always been able to find it as foresters working the verges of the Hullack, or in Purple Dragon service, just as daughters have traditionally traveled to larger cities in Suzail and sought service in the households of nobles, proudly proclaiming their Summerstar training.
Storm visits the Vale seldom, usually arriving by night and teleport, to a room in the Keep that’s been set aside for her. When upset, Lord Broglan has been known to go alone to this room to think or pray—and it’s a measure of the deep love between Shayna and Broglan, and her regard for Storm, that this has never caused friction between them (indeed, certain Keep folk say that on the occasion of a great fight between the Lord and Lady, and when Rauvoril’s birth turned difficult, the two magically called to the Bard of Shadowdale for aid, and she came).
This is not to say that all is sweetness and light in Firefall. Fell beasts have begun to prowl out of the Hullack Forest, and there are rumors that some folk among the wealthy arrivals who’ve built mansions along the coach road just west of the Keep are engaged in illicit practises and trade. Rumors have a tendency to paint darker portraits than truth, but local whispers include suspicions of agents and trade in drugs and poisons involving Zhentarim, Red Wizards, and a wide variety of Sembian interests who lack all respect for Cormyrean law. The whispers inevitably continue on to speak of all manner of plots against the Crown, trading (smuggling and slaving) cabals among various nobles, and so on -- and there’s even talk that the Harpers are hiding something (or someone) very important in the Vale.

“Well, now,” as Elminster would say. With a chuckle. “Well, now . . .”

End of Edspeak. Hi, all. The Hooded One here.
Checking my own extensive Realms notes, I’m certain that this is the first time Ed has revealed any of this (beyond the opening summary of STORMLIGHT’s contents) in print, so . . . another scroll for Candlekeep, I guess, Alaundo. Whee.
By the way, Rad: thank you very much for asking this question. It prompted me to get out my copy of STORMLIGHT and re-read it. Nude wood-chopping scene and all, it’s VERY well-written, and I’d almost forgotten that. I had remembered that Storm was the Marchioness Immerdusk, so my mind isn’t going completely. :}
Ed did tell me that he’s going to be VERY busy “taming Waterdeep” for the rest of March, folks, so his replies may drop off somewhat. However, I’m sure I can wheedle answers out of him if your questions are interesting enough. I do good wheedle. :}
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  18:14:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Taigis, I'll pass on your kind comment about the FRA city maps to Ed. He did all of the originals by hand (Staedler pen) in one frantic week!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  21:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message

Ed, thats fantastic!! Thanks very much for posting that information.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  22:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A couple more questions for Ed

1) Due to most adventures starting with that old cliche "you all meet in the town's inn and decide to form a party" the following requested info would be quite handy. Have you ever made up a menu of names for drinks and what are there real world equivelants? (For example what does Elverquisst taste like) Ive had to make up a few names myself an Orcish slaughter is a Bloody Mary and a Black Dragons Breath is Guiness.

2)What where the events that lead up to Maxers death while fighting the Marilith? As I recall from Stormlight it involved a Serpent cult, Bane and of cause the Marilith

3)Im about to run an adventure set in western Mistledale using the old Skeletons adventure you wrote for the origional Lords of Darkness, Im going to use Peldans Helm as the village and replace Kendra with either a Shade Necromancer (given closeness of the Barrowfields and its reputation for being burial mounds for Netherese Warrior wizards its highly likely that the Shades would show up sooner or later) the other option Im considering is using a Drow cleric of Kiaransalee (as the Pc will eventually be doing James Wyatts City of the Spider Queen)

Which bring me to my question Do you have anymore material on the Barrowfields? (Ive already got the FRC and Volos guide to the Dalelands) any additional info would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance Ed!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  11:33:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
WOW!!! ...This is definitely one scroll that deserves the title of 'Realmslore'. The amount of information that Mr. Greenwood has chosen to reveal about the various aspects of the Realms has been remarkable.

I think I'm going to create a hard-copy of this scroll, so that I can add it to the rest of my 'disjointed-collection-folder' of tidbits on Realmslore.

Keep the 'lore coming...

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  14:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I have another question for Ed:
One of my gaming buddies once played in a game you ran at Gencon, and called it "awesome," BTW. Anyway he said everyone played the Baron's Blades, a bodyguard for the Baron of Hawkhill.
Where's Hawkhill?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  15:09:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I can answer that one without Ed (I hope). Lord Uldonner Erendin (I MIGHT have the spelling wrong, but I don’t think so) is a gruff retired successful warrior now dabbling at becoming a wizard. His tall, beautiful warrior daughter, Nlatha [again, sp] is a much better mage. Hawkhill is a tiny, rural ‘border barony’ on the very edge of northeastern Amn, up in the mountains. Basically, to cut down on smuggling, slaving, and brigandry, the least populated fringes of Amn are populated with a string of small, “no one has ever heard of them” baronies, usually consisting of a single keep given for free to a successful adventurer-type. He gets to keep all taxes he raises and a share of monies on goods sold by ‘his people’ (usually in return to paying for the transport of their goods into the rest of Amn), and he’s supposed to keep the peace, mainly by killing outlaws and prowling monsters. Some of the bodyguards for each ‘border baron’ are usually spies for Amnian authorities, to make sure no border baron is ‘on the take’ and allowing smugglers and outlaws to operate under his protection.
The Baron of Hawkhill is a buffoon and a lecher, but is also just and brave. His daughter (whom all the males in the barony swoon over) mothers him (his wife is long dead) and is the REAL power in Hawkhill. Ed has used this setting in “Spellstorm” and a bunch of other adventures he’s run at conventions, down the years, including “Thraldigar’s Tower,” “Mousehole,” and “Lord Levraunt’s Left Nostril.”

Your obedient source of arcane Realmslore,
The Hooded One
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000