Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  21:38:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The word "lady" on its own often implies title by marriage, or an unknown rank; the word "lord" is always one of respect, and notes the titled as worth of address as a recognition of his own value.

Which explains why in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, it's mentioned on page 53 that

quote:

In most circumstances, it's considered an insult to call Myrmeen "lady" rather than "lord."

quote:

I don't know that I'd call Myrmeen "butch."

I wouldn't. However, feel free anyone out there to have your characters call her that to her face. Just be prepared for the reaction.
Go to Top of Page

eiglos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  15:17:02  Show Profile Send eiglos a Private Message
Greetings all,

I recently discovered this forum and the staggering amount of Realmslore it contains. Thanks to Ed and the Hooded One for sharing it all with us .

I was very fortunate to meet Ed when he attended Gencon UK in, I believe, 2002. My FRCS bears a superb dedication to Lurue, my favourite Realmsian god . I was intrigued to read here that Lurue was originally THE embodiment of magic. How I wish she still was!

I would love to know more about Lurue as she is now, in particular how she is worshipped and any rites involved. I have read what is in Powers and Pantheons. I understand about the Knights of the Unicorn and I look forward to whatever creative work someone else is already working on. Might it be a novel in the "Clerics" series ?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  16:54:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eiglos

Greetings all,

I recently discovered this forum and the staggering amount of Realmslore it contains. Thanks to Ed and the Hooded One for sharing it all with us .

I was very fortunate to meet Ed when he attended Gencon UK in, I believe, 2002. My FRCS bears a superb dedication to Lurue, my favourite Realmsian god . I was intrigued to read here that Lurue was originally THE embodiment of magic. How I wish she still was!

I would love to know more about Lurue as she is now, in particular how she is worshipped and any rites involved. I have read what is in Powers and Pantheons. I understand about the Knights of the Unicorn and I look forward to whatever creative work someone else is already working on. Might it be a novel in the "Clerics" series ?

Ah, another fan of Lurue!

I'll second his request.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  17:30:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Pick up the first novel in the Priests series, Lady of Poison by Bruce Cordell. A cleric of Lurue is one of the main characters in the novel. A thread exists in this forum for the novel. However, proceed with a warning, spoilers are contained within it.

P.S. Welcome to Candlekeep!

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 09 Jul 2004 17:32:11
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  01:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Beowulf:

Ummm, okay. Then try this one on for size, why does this idyllic spotlessness only make me hate Cormyr all the more?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Um, "idyllic spotlessness"?
What Cormyr have YOU been reading about?
Nobles trying to slay the royal family, half the kingdom laid waste, open rebellion, crooked War Wizards, the king slain (and him a womanizer of legendary proportions), more threats in Ed's latest novel..."idyllic spotlessness"?
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  10:57:45  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Another one for Ed to tackle, if he will. Herewith, I enter the queue...

Ed, I've been reading your write-ups for Storm's "quieter days" on the Wizards site. A concept that is mentioned there, and seemingly more often as time goes on in your other stories of the Chosen as well, is the concept of "mind-reaming".

Now, it is pretty obvious from context what the general concept is, so I don't need that defined or anything. What I would like to hear your take on are the *exact* processes - spells used, heretofore unknown Chosen abilities brought to bear, rituals or items - that are involved when a Chosen or other magically powerful being (archmage, demigod, greater demon, etc.) wrings a captive mind dry of information in this manner.

Specifically:

1) Can it be done in such a way as not to damage the mind being "reamed"? I can easily imagine Storm, Sylune or Alustriel being gentle in this regard. So how would they go about doing it "gently"? Are there limitations to what can be accomplished by doing it the gentle way? Precisely what are those limits, in your view?

2) If precautions against permanent damage to the subject mind are either not possible or not taken (I don't see the Simbul giving a damn either way in the case of a captive red wizard, for example) what exactly is the array of possible consequences/after effects to the subject and how do you adjudicate them as a practical game mechanic matter in your campaign?

3) What spells/effects might be used to restructure or otherwise hide the memory of being subjected to this treatment from the victim after it is complete? Presumably, Storm would want the evidence of tampering hidden reliably and permanently.

4) Can such radical damage to the mind/memories of the victim be repaired or are they essentially "ghost-hacked" - to borrow a term from 'Ghost in the Shell' - and either insane or their original identity lost forever? I know this was somewhat tackled anecdotally in 'Elminster in Hell', but I'm interested in the actual game mechanics of it as you run it at home with the Knights.

5) What would be the general attitude of the Chosen and other good or neutral-aligned personages in your writings toward the ethics and consequences of using such techniques on captured enemies? When is it considered kosher and when is it frowned upon? How would the Harpers view the technique as a matter of policy?

I don't think we really need to wonder at Khelben's attitude. In any case, Steven Schend may have an strong opinion on that one. Love to hear it.

Ed, if 'Wizards Three' type of spell write-ups or other detailed processes are necessary for you to explain this process, I am more than willing to wait patiently and will be hard-pressed to hide my manic glee from general observation when I see what you come up with... ;)

Thanks,

Karth

THO: Thanks for fielding the ball, dear lady, as always.

Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  15:13:42  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I don't know that I'd call Myrmeen "butch." She's stunningly beautiful, after all. The fact that she could probably cut your belly open or kick your teeth down your throat before you remembered your manners doesn't mean she's mannish; she merely wishes to prove herself the equal of any man.

Not to be arguementative of course but i would say that that is the very definition of butch. She wishes to be as good as any man in regards to manly pursuits.

Last King of the Geats

Ahh, but that requires the mindset that a pursuit can belong totally to one gender over another, an outlook that often has more to do with societal programming than any good reason. I have known women that can fight, cuss, drink, steal, spit and whore just as well as any man, and better than most, and while those traits can be admired in a man by some men, due to the values ingrained by our society they are reviled in women, often by the smae individuals.

It is completely reasonable to assume that in a culture with a broader view of gender roles(usually precipitated by technology, but magic or active gods will do) that more of an emphasis could be placed on anaction being more or less "refined" than being "manly". Thsi could be taken to even farther degrees by the presence f nobility, withthe least of nobles being more important han the most of commoners in some lands.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  15:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message
I greatly enjoyed the writeup on Ulgoth's Beard, and wil likely use it at some point in my game. Many thanks to both Ed and THO.

I have recently been thinking about it, and was spurred to ask by concerns brought up in a few of the posts around here.

How universal are the religions? I mean, is a practicing worshipper that specifically reveres say, Chauntea, in one corner of the relams going to have the same methods of worship, knowledge of tales, and religion related customs and practices as a worshiiper of the same deity that lives in another land?

I can understand that differences between certain customs in different lands could have an impact on religious practices, but how large can these differences be? Are the tales told about the various gods and goddeses mostly the same in most lands, with a minimum of changes, or can they vary wildly with some lands clergies almost revering a different deity with different history than others?

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  15:24:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed is away and busy with family (and GenCon; you’ll all know why soon ) matters this weekend, but I know he’ll love this question, Karth. As to whether or not you’ll get detailed 3.5e spells out of him, probably not (NDAs rear their ugly heads here). Just off the top of my head (must run, as I TOO have things to attend to this weekend, unfortunately), from my experiences playing in the original Realms campaign, I can say this much:
It’s quite possible to “mind-ream” gently, if the reamer knows what he or she is doing. Damage usually occurs when the mind to be read is fighting the invasive mind, and the reamer “bears down” to get at memories and knowledge that’s being deliberately concealed. Mind-reaming is VERY hard against a mind that’s alert, hostile, and experienced at wielding magic, and harder against stronger personalities. It’s easier against a sleeping (or rather, dreaming, because a skilled reamer can ‘steer the dreams’ so the mind being read does the work of revealing) or willing and relaxed mind. Certain spells can block it, backlash against the reamer, or misdirect what is “seen.”
Sylune’s ability to detect emotions, lies, and the like have been enhanced since her death, but her abilities to initiate and launch magic (as opposed to working with magic cast by others) sharply limited. She can “drift” into a sleeping, dreaming mind of a being who’s physically VERY close, and even ‘ride’ a reaming attempt by someone else into a mind, but she can no longer undertake mind-reams (or lots of other magics, for that matter) by herself. She’s still learning her limitations, and I regret that Ed hasn’t had the in-print opportunities to detail them as fully as he’d like to (Winterfox implied in another thread here in Novels that Sylune’s status as a spectral harpist hasn’t really meant much of a change, which is wrong – but also fair comment, given how little has been put into print, thus far.)
What Ed hasn’t wanted to do is lay out an explicit process for mind-reaming – because as a roleplaying-first DM, he has said (to we Knights) that it’s the perfect “research it for yourself, for years, ho ho” field.
But I’ll shut up now, e-toss this Ed’s way, and see what HE says.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  15:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Certes, in the Realms at least only male chauvinists would characterize female warriors as 'butch' (or a Realms-equivalent word).

Ed, part of my not-yet-asked question about magic includes a request to list (just list, with levels) ten of the most widespread yet-unpublished mage spells. Sounds like I just asked that part of it. And I guess, any time you want to tell us anything of Sharanralee, we'll listen.

(And -- *Physic* Garden!)
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  15:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

How universal are the religions? I mean, is a practicing worshipper that specifically reveres say, Chauntea, in one corner of the relams going to have the same methods of worship, knowledge of tales, and religion related customs and practices as a worshiiper of the same deity that lives in another land?

I can understand that differences between certain customs in different lands could have an impact on religious practices, but how large can these differences be? Are the tales told about the various gods and goddeses mostly the same in most lands, with a minimum of changes, or can they vary wildly with some lands clergies almost revering a different deity with different history than others?

To draw on the real world differnces can be quite great. Take the FR god TyR for instance. His name liley goes back some 6,000+ years to the original high god of the Indo-European pantheon .... the I-E's being the cultural ancestors of the Hindu's, the Hittites, the Iranians, the Greeks, the Romans, Celts, Teutons, Balts, etc. However, to look at Zeus and Jupiter and Sius and Dyaus, etc. one can see a large degree of disparity. Enough to question whethre or not they are the same god. Certainly, if they are the same god, we are seeing differing understandings of that god, or perhaps just different gods altogether. And of course the fact that the name is cognate is not always tell tale. Afterall ,in modern Romance speaking countries the Christian God is called Deus, which is a Latin cognate of the god-name Tiw/TyR and it's various relatives!!!

Even within the context of Teutonic belief itself there can be enough disparity between the TyR (Zio, Ziu)worshipped by the "Germans" in the 1st century, the TyR (Tiw, Tio, Tiu, Tig) worshipped by the English in the 6th century, and the TyR worshipped by Norse in the Viking Age. We won't go into that though ...

Surprisingly, this lack of orthadoxy and uniformity only gets "worse" once you add orthadoxy and doctrine to the formula. Differeing sects of Christianity often have beleifs and conceptions that differe so wildly from the original belief or their neighbours that one questions whether they are worshipping the same god. In fact, it has been observed that there was far more doctrinal consistency between the ancient Teutonic tribes for instance then there ever has been in Christianity ... depsite no attempts vs. every possible attempt to preserve orthadoxy in the specific religions.

Of course, this might differ profoundly in a world were gods are .... obvious in their being, like an atom is "obvious" to a scientist. Real world religion is, properly, more like poetry than science and thus is open to interpretation and variety, limited only by the cultural metaphor and grasp of nuance.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  16:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message
Indeed, Beowulf, I was wanting to use real world religions as an example, but was not wanting to trivialize what some pople base their lives around by comparing it to something from a game.

I reckon that their might be less drift in the realms, due to the evolution of the faiths in an environment of being more in touch with the deities, and with accesss to longrange communication far more efficient than that available on earth.

Go to Top of Page

eiglos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  14:44:56  Show Profile Send eiglos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Pick up the first novel in the Priests series, Lady of Poison by Bruce Cordell. A cleric of Lurue is one of the main characters in the novel. A thread exists in this forum for the novel. However, proceed with a warning, spoilers are contained within it.

Sirius,

Many thanks for the information! I am in London this coming week so hopefully I can buy the book in one of the gaming shops there.

Wooly - always good to meet another fan of Lurue!

Edited by - Alaundo on 12 Jul 2004 09:20:53
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  14:47:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Sirius,

Many thanks for the information! I am in London this coming week so hopefully I can buy the book in one of the gaming shops there.

You're welcome and I hope you obtain the book soon. Once you do, please share your thoughts on it in the aforementioned thread.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  03:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Eiglos, I was listening to Ed talk to fans in a hallway at GenCon Indy last year and he said he LOVED his visit to GenCon UK (and touring the games shops afterwards, too). He met so many great gamers and good friends, and would love to do it again.
Unfortunately, he also said he doubted he'd ever have the two months and twenty thousand surplus pounds to blow, to really see London properly. He's done dozens of fleeting visits there, down the years, but never had time to just wander and shop. (And his first encounter with pop-up loos gave him a WEIRD game idea! )
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  04:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
Ed is away and busy with family (and GenCon; you’ll all know why soon ) matters this weekend, but I know he’ll love this question, Karth. As to whether or not you’ll get detailed 3.5e spells out of him, probably not (NDAs rear their ugly heads here).

Thanks THO, I do try to leave my truly stupid questions unasked, which is why I don't post v. often... ;)

It occurs to me that some of the art of this entire endeavor, both for us (in asking) and for Ed (in the careful phrasing of his answers) lies in skimming right up to the bleeding edge of those pesky NDA's while skillfully never crossing over. I never expect all of it to be answered, of course. Just thrilled to get a look inside Ed's head at all.

Your head seems to provide a fair share of distractions as well. Though I believe the formal crime you are most guilty of is "maintaining an attractive nuisance" ;)

quote:
so the mind being read does the work of revealing) or willing and relaxed mind. Certain spells can block it, backlash against the reamer, or misdirect what is “seen.”

...but she can no longer undertake mind-reams (or lots of other magics, for that matter) by herself.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the download. ;)

quote:

She’s still learning her limitations, and I regret that Ed hasn’t had the in-print opportunities to detail them as fully as he’d like to (Winterfox implied in another thread here in Novels that Sylune’s status as a spectral harpist hasn’t really meant much of a change, which is wrong – but also fair comment, given how little has been put into print, thus far.)

I prefer to confine myself to more constructive criticisms than the ones that are generally associated with that particular commentator. That's about as painfully polite as I can manage to be when that name is mentioned.

quote:
What Ed hasn’t wanted to do is lay out an explicit process for mind-reaming – because as a roleplaying-first DM, he has said (to we Knights) that it’s the perfect “research it for yourself, for years, ho ho” field.

Yes... I suspected that might be the case. So let's just say that I am attempting to prevail upon Ed's clearly-demonstrated generosity as a host to override his natural reticence as a DM in defining exact terms on this subject. We'll see how far I get. Wish me luck. Take notes for your fellow Knights... *cheesy grin*

Thanks again, Hooded One

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  23:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
Greetings Mr. Greenwood librarian extrodinaire and fellow Canadian!

(Atrocious spelling to follow)

I was picking Mrs Cunninghams's brains a bit and she told me to redirect my inquiry to you.

In Elminster in Myth Drannor you made reference to elves breaking their storm swords over the appointment of Elminster as next in charge. My quandry is this what are the storm swords when were they forged and why are they so feared. Lady Oluevaera Estelda, “The Srinshee" seemed to be somewhat allarmed at there proximity to the Cornal; so I am hypothesizeing that their power rivals that of the later forged Moonblades?

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!

Edited by - Alaundo on 14 Jul 2004 09:54:21
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  05:00:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Stormswords were detailed in Ed's "Magic in Myth Drannor" article in Dragon Annual #2.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  06:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
Ah I see something that actually requires money too look into!

Oh well maybe I can convince library that it is a worthwhile investment. Kudos mr. Greenwood!

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  09:42:50  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message
Well, just in case you can't convince your library to track this issue down, storm-swords (the article hyphenates the name) are +2 longswords that crackle with electricity, render the wielder immune to electricity, toss out 9d6 lightning bolts and can sunder a prismatic sphere, one layer per blow.

And, thanks George; I had forgotten all about this issue until you mentioned it.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  16:13:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message

Well met again, all. I bring the words of Ed to new scribe Ordin Solandar:

I'm afraid an old NDA and a current writing project prevent me from detailing a storm sword in 3.5e rules format, which in a way is okay because almost all of them are now destroyed or kept well hidden.
The earliest storm swords were battle blades devised in the early days of Cormanthyr. Never numerous because their nature made them dangerous and this soon became obvious to everyone, these proto-storm swords (+5 long swords that glowed when erupting and whenever their bearer wills) were so named because they could unleash many lightning bolts of awesome power (one bolt per round, of 12d6 damage, bolt can fork if desired, 7d12 bolts per day). If the wielder of an early storm sword cast any spell that caused hp damage 'into' the blade, the spell was absorbed by the sword (no spell effect manifested), but the destructive power (damage dice) of the spell could be added (by mere act of will of the wielder) wholly to any one bolt unleashed by the sword. A proto-storm sword can only hold one such spell; casting a second one into a sword already storing a spell causes a spontaneous chain lightning to instantly erupt from the blade. (If persons other than the wielder of the blade try to cast a spell into or at a storm sword, the spell is deflected in a random distance and direction, perhaps menacing unintended targets.)
The perilous side-effect of all proto-storm swords is that mere proximity to wards, mantles, and any being, item, or area upon which three or more spells have been cast and remain in existence (even if inactive), causes a storm sword to spontaneously try to drain the nearby magic.
A bearer who knows what this property is (any bearer can feel it awakening or in operation) and makes direct physical contact with the proto-storm sword can mentally wrestle the blade into leaving the enchantments alone, but this curbing takes the bearer's entire attention and concentration, allowing the bearer to perform only simple tasks (such as movement, evasion of obstacles or approaching persons or objects, moving or drawing or sheathing the blade, and engaging in simple verbal communication or making gestures) as the curbing is going on.
Certain proto-storm swords damaged VERY precious elven family enchantments to the horror of their wielders and everyone else, so they were soon replaced by the blades I detailed in DRAGON Annual #2. The earlier weapons were ordered destroyed, and several were -- but in any time and with any race, there are those who value power and the illicit. So several proto-storm swords were hidden away, and presumably survive today. Please note that these would be unknown outside the elves, and referred to by elves as "the old stormblades," NOT "proto-storm swords."
Where the NDA comes in most heavily is in preventing me from saying much about who among the elves of Cormanthyr was allowed to wield storm swords of either vintage, family pride, and all of that. I'm afraid the hints given in El in Myth Drannor will have to suffice.

So saith Ed, who now returns to his lore-work for Borch. He and I may both drop out of contact for the next handful of days, but I'll post when I can.
Your not-so-obedient Hooded One
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  16:27:27  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I'm going to say something quickly here before THE librarian (Ed) does: Ordin Solandar, no need for you or the library to spend money. Something called "interloan" is your friend.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  16:35:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I'm going to say something quickly here before THE librarian (Ed) does: Ordin Solandar, no need for you or the library to spend money. Something called "interloan" is your friend.

Do we even have that up here in the Great White North? Well, if anyone knows, Ed will...
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  21:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Do we even have that up here in the Great White North? Well, if anyone knows, Ed will...

Indeed we do! Just ask for an interlibrary loan form at the library's front desk. It helps if you have the ISBN # when you fill out the form, but the basics are all one really needs.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  00:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
I am aware of interlibrary loans and have used them on occassion, I work for a library go figure. Anyhow I did a background check on the materials that talk about stormblades/stormswords but neither the vancouver, north van, or surrey libraries have that particular book. So I will just go with what was previously posted.

Only reason I asked in the first place is because a D&D master used one to kill my character but he himself was pretty much unaware of its properties using 3e! Thankfully my handy dandy ring of regeneration can bring my character back to life, only to die rather quickly, regenerating in the middle of a battlefeild isn't fun.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  05:15:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I am just going through the marsember adventure in Dungeon#113 and note that the map has several residences listed as "noble mansions". So, which noble families live in:

Ravensgar House
Wavegallant Spires
Swordspires
Iyrinthorn
Mistwind Towers
Monthorhall
Bracegauntlet Gard

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  15:32:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
George, Ed and I were just discussing Marsember. Neither he nor your obedient servant have yet seen the relevant DUNGEON issue (*cough* something about living in the stocks *cough*), but Ed tells me that this, reproduced below, is more or less what he sent to the editors. He suspects there’s no way they could have crammed all this (the street names in particular) into print, given their time and space constraints, and ended up with a legible map, so he asks you to report right back to us all with what didn’t make it, and he’ll try to “locate” the features for everyone, by the “See the tiny building three down from X?” method. :}
So I give you the words of Ed:

MARSEMBAN FEATURES (including those mentioned in the novel ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER/Ed Greenwood, 2004):

NOTES: Of the maps published before the current DUNGEON map (which I haven’t seen yet), the one I drew for VOLO’S GUIDE TO CORMYR (p42, key p43) should be considered definitive. The first 22 keyed features given here match the numbers used thereon. The western half of Marsember is honeycombed with narrow barge-canals, usually 30 feet wide and seldom shown on any map. It’s therefore rare for a building in this part of the city to have any sort of a “yard.” Volo’s belief that Marsember’s streets were nameless was wrong, but few names are heard in everyday usage.

1. The King’s Tower (abode of the King’s Lord of Marsember, the Herald, and the garrison)
2. Morningmist Hall (temple of Lathander)
3. Starwater Keep (naval drydock and fortress)
4. The Roaring Griffon (inn and tavern; formerly the Drowning Fish festhall)
5. The Cloven Shield (inn and tavern)
6. The Old Oak (inn and tavern)
7. The Barrelstone Inn
8. The Drowning Flagon (inn)
9. The Net of Pearls (curio shop)
10. Swordspires (city villa of the Thundersword noble family)
11. Iyrinthorn (city villa of the Illance noble family)
12. Stormwinds Towers (fortified mansion of Szwentil Illeon, founder of the Six Coffers Market Priakos)
13. Sharmran Isle (local nickname “Fishgut Rock”)
14. Antanmaran’s Isle (local nickname “The Prow”)
15. The Drowned Sailors Society (club)
16. The Masked Merfolk (nightclub)
17. The Wight On A Weredragon (dining-house [restaurant])
18. The Platter of Plenty (dining-house [restaurant])
19. The Tankard of Eels (tavern)
20. Luckfist Hall (shrine to Tymora)
21. Faircoins Moneychanger (shrine to Waukeen)
22. Deepgreen House (shrine to Umberlee)
23. Indur’s Warehouses, overlying the Maranthar Undercellars (subterranean warehouse chambers, 120 feet below; constructed by the extinct wealthy Marsemban shipping family of Maranthar: contains hidden portal linking with a dead-end alley in the Trades Ward of Waterdeep)
24. Bracegauntlet Gard (fortified mansion of the Bracegauntlet noble family)
25. Dagohnlar House (tallhouse of the Dagohnlar noble family)
26. Mistwind Towers (mansion of the Mistwind noble family)
27. Monthorhall (mansion of the Monthor noble family)
28. Ravensgar House (mansion of the Ravensgar noble family)
29. Wavegallant Spires (mansion of the Wavegallant noble family)
30. Haelithtorntowers, walled estate (home of Lady Joysil Ambrur)
31. Thundaerlyn Hall (meeting-hall and rental market- and revel-moot)
32. Felgontar’s Firehelm (large, popular, respectable dining-house [restaurant])
33. The Leaping Eel (rowdy sailors’ tavern)
34. The Amorous Anchor (festhall and smuggling den; connected via secret passages to many shop and warehouse cellars)
35. The Harbortower
36. Blackpillars (fortified tallhouse of Delthrin the Deadmaster, reclusive necromancer)
37. Stormhold (home of Filfaeril Stormbillow, sorceress and seller of magic items and potions)
38. home of Vindala Chalanther (illusionist, tutor and spellhurler-for-hire)

A. Assander Street
B. Calathanter Street
C. Chancever Street
D. Daunsul Street
E. Fendrol’s Way
F. Gelguld Lane
G. Hammarhantus Lane
H. Tarnsar Lane
I. Thelvarspike Lane
J. The Lightless Lamp (meeting-place; broken street-lamp on Thelvarspike)

So saith Ed. He’ll be VERY busy for the next three days, but will try to answer “Where’s that?” requests ASAP.
Love to all lovers of the Realms,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  15:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hey! I was just browsing the GenCon Forums, and I think I know what the GenCon news our Lovely Hooded One was referring to: Ed is the Author Guest of Honor this year! He'll be hosting workshops for writers, even!
Yay!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  19:36:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Indeed, Blueblade, 'tis my honor to confirm this. If the word is out, then let it be cried from the parapets and the battlements: Ed of the Greenwood is indeed the Author Guest of Honor at GenCon this year.
I believe that makes it his fourteenth time as SOME sort of Guest of Honor at GenCon, but my count may be a bit off.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  20:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Oh the memories! I recall meeting Ed at GENCON UK a few years back! A fantastic experience...especially remembering his enactment of a court in Cormyr

So for all your attendees of this years GENCON......remember, tie Ed down, get as much information out of him as you can, and report back here with your findings forthwith

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000