Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  17:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I like Lady Hood's "serious" suggestion.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  18:00:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
::wince::
Someone off-line here at my end has just suggested I should be styled “Mouth of Old Ed” (a la “Mouth of Sauron”). However, knowing Ed as I do, that’s a disturbingly colourful phrase.
Seriously, I’m happy with any title. And yes, SiriusBlack, I, too, am VERY interested in Cormyr’s future cast. Ed’s going to get some hard in-character questioning across the Realmsplay table, next session.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  18:09:36  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
I haven't got a grasp of the etiquette of this forum yet, so this might be a bit cheeky, but since my last question was answered so swiftly here's another:

What state is the city of Arabel in since it was reclaimed from the Orc armies? Did it take much rebuilding? Is that finished now? Are all the evacuated citizens (or the majority of them at least) returning to their homes?

If this is answered in Elminster's Daughter then could someone just give me a heads up and i'll remove this post. My copy of the book is on order so i'm yet to know what issues it'll address on the current state of Cormyr.

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 16 May 2004 18:35:15
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  18:32:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
And yes, SiriusBlack, I, too, am VERY interested in Cormyr’s future cast. Ed’s going to get some hard in-character questioning across the Realmsplay table, next session.
THO

Grill him! Bright light in the eyes and all!

I dub thee Realms Interrogator .
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  19:23:17  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message
quote:
As most of El's acidic remarks were shrewd criticisms of Vangerdahast's failings (love of intrigue, desire to know EVERYthing going on in the realm and thus crush and ruin shy or paranoid persons by repeatedly violating their privacy, and absolute need to be at the centre of things and to ALWAYS be in control, even when that need hampered the necessary personal growth of Obarskyrs destined to rule or who might come to the throne if bad things happened to their close relations, and so on), they really nettled Vangey, and the deep stings made him even more furious.

I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell. - Harry S Truman

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Seeker

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  00:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage  Send Athenon an AOL message Send Athenon a Private Message
Oh Hooded Lady,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Ed really has a gift for storytelling and bringing scenes to life. Have any of the Knights ever traveled with Ed to gaming conventions?

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  01:34:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, indeed, Athenon, especially to GenCon. Jim Clarke has attended at least three times since the years (roughly GenCon 13 through 18) when most of the Knights all drove down together. In 1984, the year that Ed won Best Player in the AD&D Open, at least three of the Knights were on the winning team with him.
And yes, he's one of the best storytellers I've ever met -- and I edit writers almost every working day.
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4747 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  03:35:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
"The Lady Herald" seems fitting. And no jokes about ladies please ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:25:59  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
I like, "Siren of Lore"

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:34:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes. We Knights (the players, not our characters) had our own Realms motto: “Ed Never Sleeps.” The reasons for that should by now be obvious to all of you, and he’s proving it yet again by handing me MORE replies to post, to whit:

Hello again, all. Mixed platters, this time.

First, to kuje31: re. the Highfire Crown. Sigh, this is a “Can’t say much due to NDAs” matter, but the short-term effect of its finding on the Realms, these days, would depend on how widely the finder advertised his or her possession of it. If word spread among mages, the usual grasping sorts (Red Wizards, Zhents, etc.) would try to arrive and forcibly seize it -- and so would a large number of elves, seeking to remove it from non-elven hands at all costs. If the finder was an elf, now . . . nope, straying into NDA territory again. :}
Glad you liked ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER. “Bad Ed”? Of course. :} And I toned the revelations down some, as I recall.

Faraer, you’re quite welcome -- and I’m looking forward to WRITING Volo’s Guide To The Moonsea, so I can bring you Old Gharauth's House of Butter Wrestling in all its, er, glory. :}
To tide you over on the swearing, here are just a few key words, with various regional variants given (I’ll leave the more colourful genitalia descriptors for the full piece):
(non-deity-specific) damn! = hrast, hrammar (hur-RAST, hur-RAM-uh) [“hrammar” is southern]
sh*t! = naeth, naed, orbal (NAY-thh, NAYdd, ORR-ball) [“orbal” is southern]
f*ck! = tluin (tuh-LOOO-in)
f*ck you/f*ck off = sabruin (sah-BROO-in)
Blushing yet, anyone? Naw, thought not.

To Krash: George, The Simbul’s all-time favourite tipple was mint and morel (yes, the mushrooms) wine, as made by a half-elf crone named Klarinthra Larntrout, a friend of Elminster’s who died some three centuries ago. Since then, she’s been searching for a new favourite, and prefers very strong drinks (warning to all: don’t expect to get this lady easily drunk) that are smooth and mild-tasting, not raw or fiery.

So saith Ed. So the posset I fed her last time was close to the mark, hmm? She did get very friendly, as I recall, complimenting my figure and fragrance for the first time ever, and trailing her fingertips along my jaw . . .
Hmm and double-hmm.
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:38:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bright day, fellow scribes! Thy Hooded Lady again, bearing another out-of-chronological-order reply from Ed:

Archmage Daraath, the rankings of gods are (or should be) a mystery to mere mortals. The problem with deities absorbing deities is that change always causes some worshippers fall away, so you can almost never do straight addition of worshippers to derive a new ranking. Moreover, most beings in the Realms worship a variety of deities, rather than confining themselves to one, so what the priests of the other deities have to say about the matter can also have an effect.
I agree with you: lusty teens would worship Sharess, but then again, lusty teens do less fervent worshipping than older people. They’re more wide-eyed and exploring everything (including each other, with priests and worshipping be damned, so to speak, along with all other authority figures) than their elders. They also tend to (remember, most Faerunians don’t confine themselves to one god) also worship Sune because those rituals can be party time, too! And some teens want to be daring and try the forbidden, others want to have a wild and swinging time, and others want to copy grownups as fast as they can (again, Sune might not be all that neglected, when compared to Sharess, and many teens might be just as hot for the worship of Shar or Mystra or Mielikki or whomever has the hunkiest/most beautiful clergy or teen worshippers; if you’re hot for Nalastra the miller’s daughter, and she can be found in high boots, black lace and not much else writhing on tombstones in some confused ritual to Shar, then you’re either turned off/too scared to pursue her, or you’re right there on the tombstone with her, aren’t you?).
As for where Sharess came from, be warned: priests and worshippers alike seldom speak truth, but rather repeat what they have been told to say, which may or may not be true.
I probably won’t do fiction involving the gods directly, beyond the brief sort of scenes seen in my last two Elminster novels -- and even those, I’d prefer to back away from. With deities prancing around, it’s hard for mere mortals to shine as heroes.
As for your draconic queries, I regard all dragons as intelligent and strong-willed enough that except in cases of directly opposite alignment, all relationships between dragons should be determined on a case-by-case, individual basis. Otherwise, saying that Dragon Type A and Dragon Type B are friendly or hate each other is about as valid as saying “All stockbrokers are friends” or “All radish-sellers hate each other’s guts.” So instead, let’s consider that Darvur the Radish-Seller hates his cousin Vondryn the Radish-Lord, who has a stall at the other end of Dock Ward, but is good friends with Arvul the Radish-King, whose stall is right the far end of North Ward.
Thus, the blue dragon Vaurethdraumantor may or may not hate the brass dragon Dzeldurtrar Sharpwings, though they probably have little in common and rub each other the wrong way. On the other hand, they may once have had a moonlit encounter in a ruin that has given both of them fond dreams and memories, ever since . . .
I do believe that all dragons CAN crossbreed (although a few individual dragons may be sterile/barren), and that the offspring will almost always favour one parent or the other very closely (perhaps with some minor shuffling of abilities), but that in rare cases a new sub-breed or a chimera-like strange draconic beast will result. I’m more interested in WHY they would want to breed (dragons mate seldom, so is it an all-consuming, driving lust or instinctive imperative when faced with imminent death or passage into a post-menopausal, non-breeding stage of life? Do dragons have such a thing? Or are they all cold-bloodedly rational enough to mate for long-term goals or mutual advantage, or to create something that they can both use as lures to enrich their hoards if they spread the word of rare crossbred-dragon eggs?).
As for internet fan fiction using or set in the Realms, I have nothing against the idea of such writing -- storytelling is a basic human activity, and we tend to want to write or tell stories about things that matter to us. However, I have no time to read such fiction, and like my colleague Elaine Cunningham have to be mindful of the legal dangers of offering to do so. Moreover, I recognize that Wizards of the Coast, Inc., as the current copyright holders of the Realms, may take a very strong corporate stance against the publication of fan fiction (to protect the Realms). I recall rumors of a bondage and discipline website using Drizzt images, and the rush to get them removed so that the Realms wouldn’t be associated with S&M rather than D&D (and yes, angry mothers, there IS a difference :}). So I’m neither going to agree to read someone’s Realms fanfic or help them to try to get it published, by Wizards or anyone else . . . but on a personal level, the fact that Realms fanfic is being created doesn’t bother me at all.
On the other hand, satire is a defense in American law (not everywhere in the world, please note), and I’ve enjoyed some vicious short parodies, down the years, of Realms characters, NPC groups, adventures, and novels. Some TSR staffers deliberately sent me Realms parodies for my enjoyment, and I consider that a different matter.
I think a Dungeon Master who fictionalizes the deeds of his or her players, for their own collective consumption ONLY, is doing a noble thing.
I believe someone who wants to be a fantasy writer is better off using their own characters and own setting from the outset, because doing so forces them into doing the creative underpinnings and providing fully-fleshed-out characters and place descriptions, rather than relying on readers “knowing” an already-established place or character. Also, because such writing isn’t a deliberate challenge to copyright, it can be freely shared and critiqued, and thus has a chance of leading on to something more.
Please note: I’m not a literary snob. (The ridiculous nature of someone who enjoys fantasy looking upon any writing with snobbery is another matter.) I don’t sneer at Fantasy Writer X because their work isn’t as good as Fantasy Writer Y, and people who viciously do so frankly bewilder me. As a longtime library staffer, I’m far more interested in finding out what the reader standing in front of me wants or likes, and giving it to them (“You prefer David Eddings to Patricia McKillip? Then you’ll PROBABLY like . . .”). So I’m not going to comment on the quality of any fanfic I do come across, because Sturgeon’s Law applies to EVERYTHING (yes, my work very much included). :}

Whew. So saith Ed. Who is probably as weary as I am, so ’tis time for us both to seek our beds (seperate beds miles apart, Wooly and Blueblade, so your hopes need not be dashed yet). Let thy blade be swift, sharp, and true until next we meet,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29727 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  05:28:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Whew. So saith Ed. Who is probably as weary as I am, so ’tis time for us both to seek our beds (seperate beds miles apart, Wooly and Blueblade, so your hopes need not be dashed yet). Let thy blade be swift, sharp, and true until next we meet,
THO

Ah, thank you, my dear Lady Hooded One, for keeping my hopes alive -- however faint such hopes may be!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  05:55:20  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Ah well, that question was for another poster and I'll let him know what you said about the Crown. :)

HMM, here's a question that goes back to the replies you gave Bookwyrm and I about diseases, etc. Another poster and I are having a small debate about germs in FR. So my question is, do the races (humans, demihumans, etc) know of microscopic germs? If such germs even exist in the Realms.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 17 May 2004 07:13:26
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  07:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:

As for internet fan fiction using or set in the Realms, I have nothing against the idea of such writing -- storytelling is a basic human activity, and we tend to want to write or tell stories about things that matter to us....

[But], I’m neither going to agree to read someone’s Realms fanfic or help them to try to get it published, by Wizards or anyone else . . . but on a personal level, the fact that Realms fanfic is being created doesn’t bother me at all.

I believe someone who wants to be a fantasy writer is better off using their own characters and own setting from the outset, because doing so forces them into doing the creative underpinnings and providing fully-fleshed-out characters and place descriptions, rather than relying on readers “knowing” an already-established place or character. Also, because such writing isn’t a deliberate challenge to copyright, it can be freely shared and critiqued, and thus has a chance of leading on to something more.

Something which I've taken to heart since your (highly encouraging) critique of my own fanfic/campaign log. (Might I say again that I never figured you'd read it at all, though more for the time it would take than for the issues above. I actually thought putting the link in was a possible bad move.)

Of course, I have to point out that I've found it a good idea to borrow someone else's creativity for a while to practice your own on. I've a lot of computer files with "Fanfic" in the title (including Jack Archer), and when I compare them to my earlier, original writings, I find that not only is my prose far better, I'm also more sure of the characters. I think fanfics are great tools for the burgeoning writer; once you learn how to make a character move like it should (using the original for a comparison), it's easier to create your own from scratch.

It's actually rather odd. I literally just read this right after getting off of MSN-IM with Artalis, with whom I was going over the basic outlines of the real Jack Archer story. (Hopefully coming to a bookshelf near you sometime in the next decade. )

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  07:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

HMM, here's a question that goes back to the replies you gave Bookwyrm and I about diseases, etc. Another poster and I are having a small debate about germs in FR. So my question is, do the races (humans, demihumans, etc) know of microscopic germs? If such germs even exist in the Realms.

Well, germs would have to exist. Unless you want to ascribe everything to magic, you need germs in order to funtion properly. Not all germs are bad, after all.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  07:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Oh, by the way, Mr. Greenwood. My mother just poked through my Realms Atlas and Volo's Guide to the North. She says it's a shame you don't get royalties on every Realms sale; she didn't read everything, but she knows good writing when she sees it. She particularly liked the level of detail in the Guide, both as a travel book (being handicapped, she reads about the places she can't go anymore) and as a story description.

And, like me, she took immediate liking to Elminster's little comments on Volo.

Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Seeker

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  09:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, has Wizards of The Coast ever considered working with Games Workshop to create a tabletop battle game for Forgotten Realms and/or other Wizards products. Though the D&D and Warhammer systems may be slightly difficult to translate.

Also were you ever a Fighting Fantasy fan?

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  10:48:31  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Hi Ed,

Is there any chance you could provide some unusual details on Manshoon that the casual Realms reader/player may not know? Some little personal trait or likes/dislikes that were illuminated in your home campaign perhaps?

I was just looking at ways of capturing his character and giving him some depth for his portrayal in my games, beyond the obvious "Urbane and Evil Archmage" stereotype that is!

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  13:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Hi Ed. I'm still here, but had a nice vacation to DisneyWorld while you finished up your novel. So while I would enjoy more lore, I haven't been put out by the wait. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Seeker

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  13:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
... oh and 1 more thing. Do you sign books for fans?

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  13:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Sarelle's Homepage  Click to see Sarelle's MSN Messenger address Send Sarelle a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood,

Thank you for your swift reply to my last query.

Whilst I know you still play mainly in 2nd edition D&D, I was wondering what your opinions were on the cull of monster deities in FR's 3e transition?

My own opinions are clear (see my siggy!) but this is genuinely just curiosity. In particular I am a fan of the Fey deities and deities of the oceans - having always loved playing ocean and fey demihumans.

Which brings me to my second question - though I know you have no direct influence on WotC's publishing objectives, do you know what the chances are of supplement books akin to Serpent Kingdoms and Underdark detailing the Fey and the Sea races of FR?

In one of my 'if I ruled Wotc' fantasies I would publish the Sea races one titled 'The Farseas', heavily influenced by Elaine Cunningham's details of the Kraken Society in Daughter of the Drow. But now I'm rambling - please forgive me.

Thank you .

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  14:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage  Send Krafus an AOL message Send Krafus a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood, is my question (that I posted on April 20) one of those you need a lot of time to answer? In case it has slipped through the cracks (perfectly reasonable, given the volume of questions you get), here it is again:

Been rereading the FRCS and came up with some questions for Ed concerning Raumathar.

Just what were the Raumathari battle-wizards? Wizards trained for combat, or dual-classed wizard/fighters? How were they organized, what were their tactics, and what magical items did they use most often? What were the typical levels of the rank-and-file and the leaders? Do you think that the Raumathari battle-wizard would make a good prestige class?

Thank you for your time.

Oh, and for THO - I second Enticing Enchantress as your title. (Unless you'd rather have your true nature put in the limelight, in which case Wanton Flirt would be more appropriate..)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  15:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
That 'strong language' (to use a particularly stupid euphemism) will do me fine for a good while -- we now know several more Realms curse-words than we did a tenday past.

A little piece of Ed's called "A Glimpse of Manshoon" was on realmspeak.com, but isn't there now (or on archive.org). Is it OK if I post this?

Edited by - Faraer on 17 May 2004 15:45:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29727 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  15:47:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

A little piece of Ed's called "A Glimpse of Manshoon" was on realmspeak.com, but isn't there now (or on archive.org). Is it OK if I post this?

I should like to see that, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

613 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  16:45:21  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Good day to Ed and The Hooded One,

Finals are done with and my brain is still suffering from post-finals symptoms. I like to say that Ed’s new book made a great Mother’s Day gift and now that she is done reading it I like to say I enjoyed it too. There was one problem towards the end I had a spot of trouble with but when you read a book in one seating then you are bound to misread something in the text! Once I get a chance to do a leisure read and not devour anything that is a non-text book then I will reread Elminster's Daughter. I shall treat it like a fine slice of cheesecake, something that needs to be eaten slowly that way you can enjoy the entire rich flavor plus the thinking of all the time the cook put into making it. (Homemade is the best way to go with food, especially deserts)
I thank Ed for his reply to my question, even though I was more than willing to wait for the sSerpent Kingdom’s book to come out. Thanks Ed for better arming me! And thanks to you Hooded One for taking time out to share, once again, some of your adventure’s in the Realms. Maybe you should start a thread dealing with various encounters there? Hmmm. I also look forward to the question about insects in the Realms, I like to plug the Imax film Bugs. Go see it, even though it is geared towards children it is fun to watch and it has a happy ending. Ha Ha.
Now to my question for Ed; but, first I like to say I think I know how to develop this bit of Realms Lore for our homebrew games. However I would like his opinion on whether or not I got it wrong. In the games the players benefit from clerical spells that can bring one back to life, sometimes the players decided to let the character go to the Final Grand Adventure. We gloss over a funeral or just out right skip it. I think it is because the lack of knowledge of burial customs. I was wondering what Ed would know about burial customs in the Realms? For example, the Chauntean’s once a faithful has died they have a wake, in one sense off to keep critters of the body and to give friends and family time to gather, which lasts four days. On the fourth day the deceased is interred into the ground in a flexed (fetal) position. Interment would occur near a farm field or other area that is used or frequent by the faithful. Depending on the deceased status would reflect burial goods place with them. A poor farmer might be buried with an awl, while a rather ‘richer’ Chauntean might have more than an instrument maybe some expensive trinket. The mourners will also place other objects with their now gone friend or loved one. This can be fine soil from a very fertile field, seeds produced from a good crop, or rose petals. After interment on top of the grave would be a small transplanted rose mixed with grain. Or in another sect the body would be cremated then scattered across the farm land. Either way the body is returned to the Earth from which they came. In some cases a lone body of a truly faithful would be buried in the middle of a crop, and then a scarecrow would be erected to mark the spot and hope the loved one will watch over the fields.
I know, too much information. I will be silent now and let Ed get back to his Waterdeep novel.

Be safe everyone,

Bakra of the Outlying Thread

PS: If there was a lass wearing little clothing laying on top of a head stone, I would guarantee my character would be there in a second. I am not saying he would convert; just that he is weird like me.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000