Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  23:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I dont know if Eds had a look at the D&D Minis but the latest expansion has a fair number of FR specfic minis and I was wondering what he thought of them

http://www.3rdedition.org/merricb/miniarchfiendsgallery.htm

Personally Im rather partial to the Aspect of Bane

Wow. Thanks for the link Dargoth. These minis look really good. The following really stood out for me:

Champion of Eilistraee

Drizzt

Evermeet wizard

Drow Sergeant

Are these available yet or are about to be released?

There coming out mid March

In july another set comes out called Giants of Legend which will feature Huge minis (Im hoping for a Dracolich!)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  23:13:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
There coming out mid March

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  02:45:55  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed,

Here's a question some of us have debated back and forth and even Sean K. Reynolds and Richard Baker have even given thier thoughts on.

Is Qilue both a Chosen of Mystra and Eilistraee or is her title of Chosen of Eilistraee just that, a title? The 3 designers have said she is both but in the old rules it wasn't really any thing more then a title.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  03:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage  Click to see Lina's MSN Messenger address Send Lina a Private Message
I'm just wondering who came up with the phrase "Dark and empty"? I know it's a curse of some sorts but what does it refer to?

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  04:33:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message

Kuje, I flipped this to Ed (who was hard at work writing), and when he came up for air at the end of a chapter, he pounded out this reply:

Qilue is a Chosen of Mystra with all the powers and special status other Chosen of the Mother Of All Magic possess.
Eilistraee wanted a “claim” on her, too, hence her Chosen of Eilistraee title. It means two things: she’s as loyal to Eilistraee as to Mystra (in daily practise, as shown in SILVERFALL, more so), and Eilistraee foresees using her in some great task (i.e. a not-yet-revealed destiny).
Being as this is Candlekeep, I can do no more than point you to what a Harper PC (not one of the Knights) uncovered when asking a monk of Candlekeep to research Qilue’s destiny. The monk was of course limited to finding prophecies and other written histories, and reported thus: one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as “the Godslayer.”
However, another seer (the monk declined to identify either of his sources, BTW) said “the dark one who serves two goddesses but leads the dance for only one shall be mother to a new race, and change the face of the Realms forever.”
Either way, it seems Qilue’s future bids fair to be interesting.

So saith Ed. Alaundo, you heard it here first. It seems Candlekeep holds some doggedly diligent or creative monks (or both).
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  04:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Yes indeedy. Too bad I can't take the credit.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  04:46:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bookwyrm, I shunted your Jack Archer query to Ed, too, and his answer has just come floating back through the ether:

VERY nice, Bookwyrm. Great stuff. An approach to fantasy that you’ll see something very close to in novel form from me in a year or two (new series, new publisher, must remain mysterious for now, I’m afraid). I also have a long-term project that may turn into yet ANOTHER series that’s also very close to Jack Archer in another way (and yes, I enjoyed most of the earlier Stasheff Warlock novels very much).
So long as Jack Archer ventures into the Realms, of course, this must remain fanfic. Yet your prose is eminently publishable, so why not have him go also to a fantasy world of your own devising, and publish some Jack Archer novels?
Then you, too, can enjoy all the fame, adulation, crit, and heavy taxation. :}
Seriously, this is worthy “good fun read” stuff.
(More, please!)

Ed’s words endeth. Wheee-oo. You’ve got him going now!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:06:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as “the Godslayer.”

I don't suppose she'll take requests on which God she dispatches?? Probably not. Thank you for some very intriguing tidbits of information.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
::sound of jaw hitting floor::

My mother said something similar when she picked up a print out last week, but I figured that was just maternal bias. But from the Great Sage of Realmslore!?

Well, as Sage can vouch, part of Jack's personality came from another character in a somewhat similar situation. It's funny that you mentioned the Warlock novels, since that was a partial inspiration. The actual instigator was when I read about Plato's idea of the perfect government last year. It was the first time I'd actually read about it, and I saw immediately how easily it could be abused.

I was actually thinking of taking Jack Archer and sticking him back in there. I also had a few more ideas for such situations, some of which would allow him to keep his magic. (That older story didn't.) I wasn't really being serious about it, but with an endorsement like that . . . .

Well, in the meantime, I suppose I'd better hurry up and finish that prologue. It's one thing to keep a bunch of mere Candlekeep scribes waiting -- it's far different to keep the Great Sage in the wings! Especially considering where he's going: Waterdeep.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:28:52  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage  Send The Cardinal an AOL message  Send The Cardinal an ICQ Message  Click to see The Cardinal's MSN Messenger address  Send The Cardinal a Yahoo! Message Send The Cardinal a Private Message
Congrats Bookwyrm. You should be just beaming with pride.

As for the prophecies on Qilue.. this does not bold well. 'The Godslayer'? Mother to a new race? Such dire things indeed... We pray that those monks had emptied Alaundo's wine cellars before this knowledge came to light... Or Lolth save us all...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

[red]Congrats Bookwyrm. You should be just beaming with pride.

I'm mostly still stunned. My mother's the one beaming with pride. (She's saying "I told you so! I do have some experience in this." She was a writer herself.)

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  06:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Kuje, I flipped this to Ed (who was hard at work writing), and when he came up for air at the end of a chapter, he pounded out this reply:

Qilue is a Chosen of Mystra with all the powers and special status other Chosen of the Mother Of All Magic possess.
Eilistraee wanted a “claim” on her, too, hence her Chosen of Eilistraee title. It means two things: she’s as loyal to Eilistraee as to Mystra (in daily practise, as shown in SILVERFALL, more so), and Eilistraee foresees using her in some great task (i.e. a not-yet-revealed destiny).
Being as this is Candlekeep, I can do no more than point you to what a Harper PC (not one of the Knights) uncovered when asking a monk of Candlekeep to research Qilue’s destiny. The monk was of course limited to finding prophecies and other written histories, and reported thus: one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as “the Godslayer.”
However, another seer (the monk declined to identify either of his sources, BTW) said “the dark one who serves two goddesses but leads the dance for only one shall be mother to a new race, and change the face of the Realms forever.”
Either way, it seems Qilue’s future bids fair to be interesting.

So saith Ed. Alaundo, you heard it here first. It seems Candlekeep holds some doggedly diligent or creative monks (or both).

Thats rather interesting Ed, especially taken in context of the last WOSQ novel to come out *wonders if Qilue will be putting in an appearance in the next 2 novels*

For those who havent read Book 4 of Wosq you may wish to cease reading now..

ok dont say I didnt warn you

In the last book Halisstra becomes a Cleric of Eilistraee and retrieves what sounds like a Holy Vopal blade, which shes told she must use to cut off Lolths head in the Demom webs.

A certain icky 8 legged spider goddess days may be numbered......

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  12:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I'm just wondering who came up with the phrase "Dark and empty"? I know it's a curse of some sorts but what does it refer to?

I believe it came from Paul Kemp within Shadows Witness, Lina. Makes a nice change for a regional curse such as that. Don Bassingthwaite also used a curse in The Yellow Silk...... "Bind me"... sometimes lengthened to "Bind me and tar me"

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  16:50:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
More commentary on spoilers for WOTSQ, so skip the post if you don't wish to read such information.

quote:
In the last book Halisstra becomes a Cleric of Eilistraee and retrieves what sounds like a Holy Vopal blade, which shes told she must use to cut off Lolths head in the Demom webs.

You know what the ironic or perhaps fitting thing would be if such an event took place? Well...Lolth does like chaos and while the drow would be free of her opressive tyranny, chaos would erupt within the race if Lolth perished.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  22:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Another question for Ed

One of the more controversial changes in the FRC is the new Cosmology for the FR, I personally think alot of the Controversy is due to a lack of info on the new Cosmology, the Old cosmology (the Great wheel) has lots of info (2-3 Manuals of the Plane, the whole Planescape setting and another book the "Players guide to the planes" due out this year.

Now ideally Id like to see an FR manual of the planes but thats unlikely to happan... so I was wondering if you'd be willing to do a web enhancment or even better a Dragon Magazine article on the new cosmology?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2886 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  22:26:20  Show Profile
I believe the forthcoming Player's Guide to Faerun will contain more information on the new cosmology.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  22:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage  Send Shadowlord an AOL message Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:

More commentary on spoilers for WOTSQ, so skip the post if you don't wish to read such information.

quote:

You know what the ironic or perhaps fitting thing would be if such an event took place? Well...Lolth does like chaos and while the drow would be free of her opressive tyranny, chaos would erupt within the race if Lolth perished.

Yes, it seems as if even though Lolth would be dead, she would be happy. Personally speaking, thats just good news for Vhaeraun, who can use the opportunity to garner thousands of new male followers.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  23:14:05  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage  Send The Cardinal an AOL message  Send The Cardinal an ICQ Message  Click to see The Cardinal's MSN Messenger address  Send The Cardinal a Yahoo! Message Send The Cardinal a Private Message
Nay, nay nay... The Spider Queen would not fall to such a feeble ploy, you'll see. For without the Mother of the Drow, the Drow are as doomed as the Surface elves...When Will thy sight be returned Shadowlord, that the way of Lolth is the only way?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  02:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage  Send Shadowlord an AOL message Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Bah! I turned my back on the Dark Mother 3,000 years ago!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  05:51:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
Personally speaking, thats just good news for Vhaeraun, who can use the opportunity to garner thousands of new male followers.

The Spider Queen's death, in my opinion, would just start a long civil war between brother and sister as they fought over the numerous drow now free to worship another god.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  05:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I believe the forthcoming Player's Guide to Faerun will contain more information on the new cosmology.

It's Sage's fondest hope that this tome will allow for a reconciliation with Planescape and the 3e Manual of the Planes, the latter of which he says does pretty good job of setting up a new Planescape version. (I still haven't gotten it myself, but it is on my list.)

Mr. Greenwood, could I trouble you for any input you might like to make on my story? Such as connections between Earth and Toril, how things are different . . . I'm fishing a bit, so I hope you'll understand. Of course, since it's actually from a game to be run by Sage, nothing is set in stone. Plenty of elbow room.

Again, I'll attempt to get that next part done soon, regardless. Thanks for reading.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  06:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage  Send Shadowlord an AOL message Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Personally speaking, thats just good news for Vhaeraun, who can use the opportunity to garner thousands of new male followers.

The Spider Queen's death, in my opinion, would just start a long civil war between brother and sister as they fought over the numerous drow now free to worship another god.

Hmmm, now that would be interesting. However, you do know that there are more evil drow than good, and since most males will hold resentment towards females after Lolth's long ruling period, Vhaeraun will gain far more followers than Eilistraee. Remember, even though females held higher positions in the Lolthite hierarchy, overall, there were more males.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  06:11:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Hmmm, now that would be interesting. However, you do know that there are more evil drow than good, and since most males will hold resentment towards females after Lolth's long ruling period, Vhaeraun will gain far more followers than Eilistraee. Remember, even though females held higher positions in the Lolthite hierarchy, overall, there were more males.

I believe we call such line of thinking Vhaeraun propaganda.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  06:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage  Send Shadowlord an AOL message Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Well, I won't refute that.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5586 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  09:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Could we please keep lengthy discussions of other topics to other scrolls, especially within Author Question scrolls such as this, it makes the viewing easier and more pleasant for all

Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked