Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

[red]Congrats Bookwyrm. You should be just beaming with pride.

I'm mostly still stunned. My mother's the one beaming with pride. (She's saying "I told you so! I do have some experience in this." She was a writer herself.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  06:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Kuje, I flipped this to Ed (who was hard at work writing), and when he came up for air at the end of a chapter, he pounded out this reply:

Qilue is a Chosen of Mystra with all the powers and special status other Chosen of the Mother Of All Magic possess.
Eilistraee wanted a “claim” on her, too, hence her Chosen of Eilistraee title. It means two things: she’s as loyal to Eilistraee as to Mystra (in daily practise, as shown in SILVERFALL, more so), and Eilistraee foresees using her in some great task (i.e. a not-yet-revealed destiny).
Being as this is Candlekeep, I can do no more than point you to what a Harper PC (not one of the Knights) uncovered when asking a monk of Candlekeep to research Qilue’s destiny. The monk was of course limited to finding prophecies and other written histories, and reported thus: one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as “the Godslayer.”
However, another seer (the monk declined to identify either of his sources, BTW) said “the dark one who serves two goddesses but leads the dance for only one shall be mother to a new race, and change the face of the Realms forever.”
Either way, it seems Qilue’s future bids fair to be interesting.

So saith Ed. Alaundo, you heard it here first. It seems Candlekeep holds some doggedly diligent or creative monks (or both).

Thats rather interesting Ed, especially taken in context of the last WOSQ novel to come out *wonders if Qilue will be putting in an appearance in the next 2 novels*

For those who havent read Book 4 of Wosq you may wish to cease reading now..

ok dont say I didnt warn you

In the last book Halisstra becomes a Cleric of Eilistraee and retrieves what sounds like a Holy Vopal blade, which shes told she must use to cut off Lolths head in the Demom webs.

A certain icky 8 legged spider goddess days may be numbered......

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  12:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I'm just wondering who came up with the phrase "Dark and empty"? I know it's a curse of some sorts but what does it refer to?

I believe it came from Paul Kemp within Shadows Witness, Lina. Makes a nice change for a regional curse such as that. Don Bassingthwaite also used a curse in The Yellow Silk...... "Bind me"... sometimes lengthened to "Bind me and tar me"

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  16:50:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
More commentary on spoilers for WOTSQ, so skip the post if you don't wish to read such information.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
In the last book Halisstra becomes a Cleric of Eilistraee and retrieves what sounds like a Holy Vopal blade, which shes told she must use to cut off Lolths head in the Demom webs.

You know what the ironic or perhaps fitting thing would be if such an event took place? Well...Lolth does like chaos and while the drow would be free of her opressive tyranny, chaos would erupt within the race if Lolth perished.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  22:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Another question for Ed

One of the more controversial changes in the FRC is the new Cosmology for the FR, I personally think alot of the Controversy is due to a lack of info on the new Cosmology, the Old cosmology (the Great wheel) has lots of info (2-3 Manuals of the Plane, the whole Planescape setting and another book the "Players guide to the planes" due out this year.

Now ideally Id like to see an FR manual of the planes but thats unlikely to happan... so I was wondering if you'd be willing to do a web enhancment or even better a Dragon Magazine article on the new cosmology?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  22:26:20  Show Profile
I believe the forthcoming Player's Guide to Faerun will contain more information on the new cosmology.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  22:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

More commentary on spoilers for WOTSQ, so skip the post if you don't wish to read such information.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

You know what the ironic or perhaps fitting thing would be if such an event took place? Well...Lolth does like chaos and while the drow would be free of her opressive tyranny, chaos would erupt within the race if Lolth perished.

Yes, it seems as if even though Lolth would be dead, she would be happy. Personally speaking, thats just good news for Vhaeraun, who can use the opportunity to garner thousands of new male followers.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  23:14:05  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message
Nay, nay nay... The Spider Queen would not fall to such a feeble ploy, you'll see. For without the Mother of the Drow, the Drow are as doomed as the Surface elves...When Will thy sight be returned Shadowlord, that the way of Lolth is the only way?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  02:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Bah! I turned my back on the Dark Mother 3,000 years ago!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  05:51:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
Personally speaking, thats just good news for Vhaeraun, who can use the opportunity to garner thousands of new male followers.

The Spider Queen's death, in my opinion, would just start a long civil war between brother and sister as they fought over the numerous drow now free to worship another god.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  05:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I believe the forthcoming Player's Guide to Faerun will contain more information on the new cosmology.

It's Sage's fondest hope that this tome will allow for a reconciliation with Planescape and the 3e Manual of the Planes, the latter of which he says does pretty good job of setting up a new Planescape version. (I still haven't gotten it myself, but it is on my list.)

Mr. Greenwood, could I trouble you for any input you might like to make on my story? Such as connections between Earth and Toril, how things are different . . . I'm fishing a bit, so I hope you'll understand. Of course, since it's actually from a game to be run by Sage, nothing is set in stone. Plenty of elbow room.

Again, I'll attempt to get that next part done soon, regardless. Thanks for reading.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  06:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Personally speaking, thats just good news for Vhaeraun, who can use the opportunity to garner thousands of new male followers.

The Spider Queen's death, in my opinion, would just start a long civil war between brother and sister as they fought over the numerous drow now free to worship another god.

Hmmm, now that would be interesting. However, you do know that there are more evil drow than good, and since most males will hold resentment towards females after Lolth's long ruling period, Vhaeraun will gain far more followers than Eilistraee. Remember, even though females held higher positions in the Lolthite hierarchy, overall, there were more males.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  06:11:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Hmmm, now that would be interesting. However, you do know that there are more evil drow than good, and since most males will hold resentment towards females after Lolth's long ruling period, Vhaeraun will gain far more followers than Eilistraee. Remember, even though females held higher positions in the Lolthite hierarchy, overall, there were more males.

I believe we call such line of thinking Vhaeraun propaganda.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  06:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Well, I won't refute that.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  09:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Could we please keep lengthy discussions of other topics to other scrolls, especially within Author Question scrolls such as this, it makes the viewing easier and more pleasant for all

Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  15:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Another question for Mister Ed: I just read The Dragon’s Doom. What a great book! Some of the scenes are, well, cinematic. Like watching a * good * movie.
Now, I know about Path of the Just and Loona that came out recently, and I know Elminster’s Daughter will be out soon. What else are you publishing this year?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  16:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
"Mister Ed"? ::groan:: I was hoping that no one would say that . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  16:28:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed’s reply begins with the inevitable:

Oh, a horse is a horse, of course, of course. . .
Ahem. Okay, I’ll probably miss something here, and I’ll leave out the usual website and DRAGON columns, reissues (the mass market paperback of THE DRAGON’S DOOM, for instance). But here we go . . .

THE SILENT HOUSE (fifth Aglirta novel, from TOR Books, hardcover)
CASTLEMORN Campaign Setting hardcover from Fast Forward Entertainment, Inc. (co-written)
SERPENT KINGDOMS Realms sourcebook from WotC (co-written)
“The Keeper of Secrets” story in REALMS OF DRAGONS Realms anthology from WotC
“The Fallen Star” story in CHILDREN OF THE RUNE Diamond Throne anthology from Malhavoc Press
“Stormsong” novelette in REALMS OF WONDER 1: SUMMONED BY DESTINY fantasy fiction anthology from FitzHenry& Whiteside/Trifolium

I’m sure I’ve missed something, but whatever it is will probably come as just as much a surprise to you as to me. :} Happy reading. I’ve turned in the first of the three Pentacon for-charity tales, but how (or if) those get published is entirely up to their new owners. I’ve turned in three short stories for the Castlemorn setting, and one of them, “The Night of Three Strangers,” will be in the Campaign Setting rulebook. I don’t think any of my top secret projects will result in any 2004 publications.

Oh, and folks, I wouldn’t leap to TOO many conclusions re. Qilue and WotSQ, okay? Seers tend to be reliable only in hindsight. :}

So Ed saith. He also assures me there’s absolutely no truth to the rumor that he wore diamond shoes to the Oscars. As he put it: “Diamond shoes with THAT gown? NEVER!” :}
I've forwarded the cosmology and Bookwyrm requests to him, and await his reply.
Ye Hooded One
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  16:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Thanks, Hooded One. (That name sounds awkward, but I'm not going to use your initials. )

I do hope that my fencing description wasn't too off. Of course, I know that I didn't actually have any real fencing in it, since Jack was the only one with any kind of a blade. Since I've decided on following Mr. Greenwood's suggestion of puting Jack into an original setting, I want to make sure that real fencers don't toss the book out because of that.

Now I just have to decide where to stick him. I've got it narrowed down to two worlds, but it depends on which one is more likely to work as a story. I suppose Sage's campaign will help with that.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  19:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Question for Ed...

Its a bit of an awkward one and probably not something that you could answer.....

Do you find it difficult to work for other companies and produce other d20 products.... in a way that you feel that the Realms is your creation and still so close to your heart, that you put 110% into your FR products but feel not so excited and enthusiastic about non-FR products? Whilst being so creative means that any material will just flow from you into whatever product, surely you want to give your baby that little bit more?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Josh Davids
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  21:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Josh Davids's Homepage Send Josh Davids a Private Message
Ok now that I finally got time to sit down and get stuff done wanted to reply to a few things. Thanks siruis and bookwyrm for the kind words, but in truth you got to thank Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham and Salvatore for the good words they said about the artwork. I have a lot of self doubt about some stuff I do, thanks to an abusive mother, without their kind words I would have kept drawing but I wouldn’t have decided to put up the art gallery on Elfwood so they have all the thanks there.

Onto another topic, about the stats in game materials. I am working for a start up D20 right now and that is one of my jobs coming up with new of different things for the game product. Which wasn’t easy I didn’t know a single game rule before I started with the D20, learned the entire D%D rule system in three days, a lot of cramming. When I do game materials the stats are needed but to me they do take away from some of the stuff. I am a writer first game designer second, to I focus on the concept and the interesting things about a creature or spell or type of weapon, then try and make the stats fit them. One example a creature I created called an Ortugah his basic concept was a nine foot tall cross between a raptor, a cuddlefish, and a mind flayer, an intelligent predator that can stalk unseen as his skin changes color and texture, that uses tentacles to inject a paralyzing poison and that has limited psionics, developed it as a perfect predator. As a writer the concept behind it was easy then came the stats, creating and writing up a bio on the creature took me half an hour the stats took me two days to get right. I much prefer to write out ten pages of material describing the way the creature acts, how it attacks, its powers than writing one page of stats. Plus to me it takes away the mystery of the creature and when it is done for characters as well, it limits them to numbers rather then an actual character, but then it is needed for game play, I guess it harkens back to my days of free form role play.

Now onto other things. Thanks Ed for the recommendation as soon as I can afford it I will pick up a copy of Castlemorn, right now money is tight and next few months might not have any. Wife’s union is planning a strike, needless to say I am not too happy about that since if they do we might loose our home, like unions care about the little people ah well. as soon as it comes out and I can afford it definitely picking up a copy.

As another question, more of a serious one that has been bugging me for some time, I have been on the net for a long time and noticed a recent trend on message boards and just attitudes as of late, they seem more harsh then they did in the past. One thing has been bothering me though as of late, especially with the world I am creating. A while back on the WoTC boards a thread was started about drow, and some of the topics people started in it had me sit back in shock that anyone would suggest anything like this. They brought up about how anyone who created drow were racist, also sexiest since they are all beautiful females etc. the last few years I have been seeing this trend on many message boards from authors who create cities who have slavery people saying they are racist or approve of slavery, if people write about just young characters they are closest pedophiles etc. I know you have had your own problem with the seven sisters and elminister, but is this a new thing or going back as far as the fantasy field that people can not separate between the author and their work? Or do people just use this as a reason to bash an author or creator?

The reason why I say it disturbs me is for one reason, the world I am working on has slavery, doesn’t have equals rights for all, some places certain people are persecuted and killed either for their beliefs or what they are, in some aspects it will mirror the dark history of this world with conflicts within cities and kingdoms and within people’s souls. I did this for a reason I wanted to give people if they were to write or play in it many conflicts to deal with other then just the horde of undead attacking the cities, for them to deal with moral issues that are gray rather then just black and white, even one of the characters in the story will have to deal with this. He believes himself a hero, kills the warlord of what he thinks is an invading army only to find out he just killed the exiled king’s son who came back to claim the throne. Is imprisoned and sentenced to death. I worry about years and years down the road with my daughters, they go to a site and see people who can’t begin to separate what I believe in from what I write about labeling me racist etc, just because the stories I write. This won’t stop me from writing them but it just worries me that my daughters down the road will have to deal with it. is this a new concern or an old one? I just tend to think about consequences of stuff I do before I do it, I just wonder what kind of flak my daughters will get for the stuff I write, and it bothers me I have to even consider something like that.

Also bookwyrm when you brought up about names and respect I got to agree 100% with you, it is the same reason I do the Mr.Greenwood until I am told by the author to knock it off it is embarrassing, just a sign of my respect for the people.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  15:23:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Here’s the latest reply from the Bearded Thing himself:

Bookwyrm, I wish I could say something really useful. As it happens, no less than THREE of the “top secret” projects I’m working on right now concern magical travel between our real-world, present-day Earth and . . . somewhere else where magic works and things are vaguely medieval. :} As a longtime fantasy reader and collector, I’d direct you to check out Roger Zelazny’s classic Amber works for descriptions of swordplay in which he simply used modern-day fencing terms (sixte, quarte, etc.). For a fencer, it helps, but I’m told that for a non-fencer, it was often an irritating brick wall of impenetrable gibberish.
Here’s what I think you have to decide: is Jack going to be an expert fencer? Or learning as he goes? Would HE use modern fencing jargon? Unless he’s an expert who mutters what he’s doing aloud, I’d keep the terms to a minimum, and give the reader the fast-moving FEEL of the fight by describing how and where combatants are moving, and using general terms such as thrust (NOT stop-thrust), parry, hack, slash, and cut, but never over-describing (because it slows the action down too much). Keep the flow of narrative swirling as fast as the blades do, if at all possible.
You can have almost any sort of gate/portal linking Earth with wherever you want to take Jack, BUT: decide first whether you’re ever going to want him to be able to get back, reliably, or move back and forth (and will foes or other modern-day-Earth characters be able to do the same?). In other words, is the gate or whatever it is going to work reliably, and are lots of folks going to either know about it or be able to figure it out or be able to accidentally stumble on it?
Like a game designer, decide what limitations you want first, and then design the specifics of the travel. One creature at a time? With or without gear? If no, they arrive the other side naked, right? (Repercussions?) If yes, how much gear, organic and/or non-organic, etc. makes the trip with them? Altered in any way? (The old fantasy fiction standby: magic items don’t work on the Earth side of the gate, and/or firearms and other modern technology doesn’t function properly on the other side.) How is the gate operated? Are those in transit vulnerable to spells, arrows, or hurled or swung weapons during their trip, while departing, or while arriving (i.e. can arrow be fired/bombs thrown/spells cast right through operating gate from one ‘world’ into the other?). Once you decide on something, follow through on ALL of the implications of that (longtime users of the gate would have to be idiots not to have experimented to determine gate/portal properties, and exploited them, perhaps to set up trade or message services, perhaps to set off alarms to tell them someone has used the gate or to awaken a gate guardian, and so on).
Between our Earth and the ‘home’ Realms, I had gates everywhere, most of them operating only a certain times (i.e. when struck by the rays of the full moon), but you may prefer something different.

This brings me inevitably to the cosmology question. The truth is, I’m not supposed to say anything about this, under the last few NDAs I signed, but I will utter this much: if the topic isn’t fully and properly addressed by the end of this year’s releases, I will ask permission to write something on it for the WotC website. Okay?

As for DRAGON, the Elminster’s Guide series still hasn’t quite finished, although its format was set three editors ago, and I think no longer matches what the current editorial team wants to do with the Realms in the magazine’s pages. The current editor and I have agreed on the format and content of a new (irregular) Realms column. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to get to work on it anytime soon, because there are all these novels (and other lucrative top secret projects) to get done first!

Rad, you can ask me any question. ANY question. Sometimes legal agreements (NDAs) or ‘inside knowledge’ will force me to dodge giving a full answer, but this isn’t one of them.
And isn’t hard to answer, actually: I have to work harder on all non-Realms work, because I can “think Realms” automatically, and only have to check the Realms work of other writers for consistency, and follow the guidelines (limitations in topic, scope, and length) of my Realms editors for that project. So everything unfolds, and I can put all my energies into the creation at hand.
However, in all non-Realms settings, I have to try to understand the setting (get myself to where I can “think Kalamar” or “think Diamond Throne” or whatever) so I don’t make any blunders, and so that I don’t drift into “really writing this for the Realms.” I WANT my non-Realms work to be different. If you survey all of the published fiction writing I’ve done over the last thirty-five years or so, from horror to mystery to (yes!) romance, you can readily see that I can be a chameleon when I want to be. It’s harder to move distinctively away from the Realms when doing most d20 design, because my roleplaying design interests (storytelling, colour detail, subplots, giving NPCs ‘real lives,’ building in mysteries and power groups with longterm schemes) don’t really change no matter what I’m doing.

Josh, I’m afraid I have to agree with you that postings on message boards have tended to get harsher as the years pass. It’s probably just following societal trends (in earlier generations, like mine, bad-mouthing someone was never something to be proud about, unlike the way in which some folks now talk about how they “dissed someone good” or suchlike). I think it is often used to trash an author one dislikes. Bob Salvatore and I chatted about this once: how wryly amusing (and inwardly hurtful) it is to have someone posting on Amazon or a board or newsgroup about how horrible your latest book is, when you KNOW they haven’t read it because you haven’t finished it yet, so there’s no way they can have sneaked a peek at the manuscript. This happens all the time, BTW, not as isolated incidents. In my case, many folks who resented the Realms displacing Greyhawk have spent years attacking me, which somewhat bewilders me because I, too, am a Greyhawk fan and have always wanted a steady stream of Greyhawk products to come into my hands so I can enjoy Gary’s rich (but frustratingly full of gaps to me, the consumer) world.
And I’ve said before (as have Mark Twain, Diogenes, and scores of others down the ages): it’s the mark of an idiot, or someone being deliberately intellectually dishonest (knowingly twisting the truth) to equate what a CHARACTER says or does with what the CREATOR of that character believes or does. (College professors please take note. :}) Legions of folks regularly try to skewer me for being perverted, sexist, a bed-wetter, or whatever for writing some of the Seven Sisters and Elminster as rather lusty. In doing so they have to conveniently ignore all of the decidely straight-laced characters (Piergeiron, et al) I also put into the Realms. I created the "cast of thousands," people, and I know in our real world how angry people can get when someone publicly judges a race or country by looking at one individual (“See? And all Americans are like that!” or glance at Hitler and then judge all . . . get the idea?). So why is it valid to be so weak-minded or dishonest as to think anyone who writes about slavery must secretly BE a slaver? Geez, I guess all of these American historical writers must get up from the keyboard to go down to the cellar and get to whupping their slaves every night, right? And so on.
Josh, you have to write what you believe is “right” for the world you’re creating. So long as it’s self-consistent, you’ve done your job as a designer. As a real-world business person, you’d better decide before printing money flows that the world you’ve created has wide appeal (I could easily design a world in which everyone plays maggots gnawing through heaps of human excrement, but the boredom factor would limit appeal: Q: “What’re you doing this round?” A: “Uh, still eating dung.”). The moral tragedy you describe (the mistaken killing of the royal heir) is a perfect motivation for good roleplaying, intrigues, strife, and so on. So I’d say you have the right instincts -- go for it!

So saith Ed. I remain your messenger ’twixt him and the wider world, and am still: The Hooded One here.
And Bookwyrm, feel free to use my initials if it doesn’t bother you. I’ve been called far worse, and for less valid reasons. :}
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  16:32:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
I have a question for Ed Greenwood regarding coordination between novels and related gaming products that come out at about the same time. For example, if the postal system blesses me, I should have Lisa Smedman's Venom's Taste this afternoon. I know that Ed Greenwood is one of the authors on the gaming product, Serpent Kingdoms coming in July. Was there any rough details furnished to Mr. Greenwood as one of the designers as to the events in Mrs. Smedman's series since the subject matter does apparently overlap somewhat?

I'm curious about this subject in general based upon something I heard on another messageboard some time ago. Now, I preface this statement by saying, I take it with a grain of salt since I was not present and I know that anyone can claim to have seen/heard anything online.

But, the poster stated that at some Q&A during a convention that R.A. Salvatore expressed a great deal of surprise that a product featuring the Silver Marches was about to come out. Even though his characters are based in that region, he had no forehand knowledge apparently that such an item was in design.

I'm just curious about what the coordination has been like in the past. And how the WOTC team avoids a situation like, a festhall for example in Waterdeep being prominently featured in your upcoming novel and this establishment is destroyed, but voila the gaming product makes no mention of this fact.

Thank you for any type of reply.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  17:56:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, SiriusBlack, I tossed your question to Ed, and he fired a reply RIGHT back:

Sometimes co-ordination between Books and Games has been superb, sometimes nonexistent. In the case of Serpent Kingdoms, it was closer to "superb" (draft information went back and forth), which is as it must be to make both lines 'fit' with each other. I hope (and believe) that both the sourcebook and the trilogy will prove to be 'solid keepers' to most Realms fans.
Thanks for the question; it reminded me of a quick follow-up I must do this evening... :}
Folks, even * I * am beginning to get excited about SK, and I helped write it! :}

...So saith Ed. Keep those queries coming. ;}
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  05:41:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Hi, SiriusBlack, I tossed your question to Ed, and he fired a reply RIGHT back:

Big thanks THO.

quote:

Sometimes co-ordination between Books and Games has been superb, sometimes nonexistent. In the case of Serpent Kingdoms, it was closer to "superb" (draft information went back and forth), which is as it must be to make both lines 'fit' with each other. I hope (and believe) that both the sourcebook and the trilogy will prove to be 'solid keepers' to most Realms fans.

That's what I want to hear and thank you for passing along the news of this coordination. I don't know about other FR fans, but it makes me enjoy even more a novel series and gaming product when there is co-ordination.

quote:

Folks, even * I * am beginning to get excited about SK, and I helped write it! :}

Now I am getting even more eager to see the first novel and then the gaming product. Any potential teasers? Richard Baker hinted one time on the WOTC board that when it came to the Yuan-Ti, FR fans would find out they had been up to a lot more than we ever realized.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  06:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Ed

Will Serpent Kingdoms feature the Dragon deitys?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  13:50:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I sent your message to Ed, who was up early helping a neighbour to get his tractor to start (dead battery), and he sent this reply:

Well, let me tease just this much: certain serpentine races like to work behind the scenes...in a LOT of places in the Realms. Certain game designers like to write far too much, and cramming stuff between the covers becomes a challenge. Gods tend to get short shrift when space becomes a problem.

There. That doesn't reveal TOO much, I think (there are rules about these things, I'm afraid).

Ed, darling, since when did you follow rules? :}
The Hooded One
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  13:58:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Okay, Ed just teased me about my following the rules comment, and added a question for all scribes of Candlekeep: what details of the Realms ("little lore" rather than huge topics) do you think have been thus far neglected in print? What would you like to see addressed (in novels, in game products, in website and magazine columns...anywhere and by anyone)?
Whoo. A biggie. I've already given him *my* shopping list. :}
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  14:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:

Okay, Ed just teased me about my following the rules comment, and added a question for all scribes of Candlekeep: what details of the Realms ("little lore" rather than huge topics) do you think have been thus far neglected in print? What would you like to see addressed (in novels, in game products, in website and magazine columns...anywhere and by anyone)?
Whoo. A biggie. I've already given him *my* shopping list. :}

Well ever since the old FRA hardcover, ive always hoped for a product devoted just like a section within the FRA....... Cities. I'd love to see city maps and details (only a couple of pages per city, as per FRA). Given that many FR novels of late involve urban adventures, im sure it would do well

Id also like to see a product on the Border Kingdoms, Ed's columns from Elminsters Everwinking Eye in the old Polyhedrons really grabbed me.

How about more over towards Vaasa, Damara etc. Novels havent touched over that end of Faerun and ive always been quite intrigued with that culture society.

Herein is part 1 of 25 of my list

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  14:19:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Hmmmm, that was probably on a larger scale than what Ed was asking

Anyway, I recently read Stormlight (which was great!! ) and asked here at Candlekeep previously if any other information was available for Firefall Vale\Keep as I fell in love with the place...... can you give us any more on this locale, Ed?

Also, what is the current state of the place since the events in Stormlight?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000