Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  06:09:55  Show Profile
Well, you see, Hamilton is the asthma capital of either the world or Canada-I forget which...Oh, and Ed? Bring along something flame-retardant for your car-you don't want to know how many car fires we've had...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  09:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Could we kindly leave such scrolls as this dedicated to questions for the great Ed. It makes The Hooded One's task much easier when collating material.

Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Malaug
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  14:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Malaug's Homepage Send Malaug a Private Message
Gee I go away for a while a post racks up 27 pages. Three days later I've read them all and am content.

Just a few questions for Ed:-

In "The Temptation of Elminster" at the end we see him coming across the Seven Sisters. In all probability he stays and cares for them for a while. Then in "Elminster in Hell", he remembers a duel he had with The Simbul on some Island with earth shaking spells being hurled around. Sorry if I'm interpreting this the wrong way, but shouldn't he know The Simbul from his time of rearing the Seven Sisters?

Also, what is Tiamat's deific position at the moment. I have heard various rumours that she was killed by adventurers (to tie in with the First Edition "Throne of Bloodstone" Supramodule) and her deific essence stolen. I take it that this is not the case, seeing during the Times of Trouble should killed Gilgeam. Is she still around and kicking?

Finally, just off topic, I am a hugh fan of Robert E. Howard I was just wondering what you personally (and you to THO) thought of his work. Not just Conan, but also Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak - just to name a few.

I would also just like to say thanks for sharing your hoards of knowledge with us all, hopefully one day I will get to meet you face to face. Should I hold out any hope of you coming to Australia, more specifically Victoria, more specifically Melbourne?
Go to Top of Page

Malaug
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  14:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Malaug's Homepage Send Malaug a Private Message
Just another quick question. Will we been seeing Belkram and Itharr again? These two characters are just to good to dissappear entirely!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  15:31:46  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
<<Also, what is Tiamat's deific position at the moment. I have heard various rumours that she was killed by adventurers (to tie in with the First Edition "Throne of Bloodstone" Supramodule) and her deific essence stolen. I take it that this is not the case, seeing during the Times of Trouble should killed Gilgeam. Is she still around and kicking?>>
Malaug, I am no Ed or THO but I believe I know the answer to your question. Tiamat is still alive and kicking in FR, and I believe by now she has entered fully into the regular patheon. (no longer just being part of the Mulhoround pantheon) Also Tiamat is one of the few gods that have aspects of herself scattered aross the known multiverse. Tyr being a good example for my last statement.
Hope that was clear as mud for you,
Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  20:45:47  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
A question for Ed,

One of my favorite characters is Nelyssa Shendean, the paladin who leads the Riders of Mistledale. I would like to know more regarding Chauntean paladins. Also, could you give a physical description of Nelyssa if possible?

My Thanks

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  21:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Don't answer Zeathiel's question! It's evil!

Well, it was post #666, anyway.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  02:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Wizards have posted the times and locations for Eds Signing tour

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/edgtour2004

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  05:45:28  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
Hmmm, that number keeps coming up day to day in my life. I'm starting to worry.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:11:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hoo-hah. Important Public Service Announcement:

Through no fault of their own, Wizards has missed Ed’s Cobourg, Ontario tour date. Ed will probably attend the May 13th event, but it’s a hundred-dollar-a-plate dinner event in support of three local “literary” authors and literacy in the community (none of those authors is Ed).
His Cobourg tour stop is:
Friday, May 7th, starting at 7 pm
At the Avid Reader Books & Magazines store
500 Division Street (that’s inside the Midtown Mall; Division Street/County Hwy 45 is the easternmost of the two Cobourg Highway 401 exits – for Americans: the 401 is Ontario’s BIG interstate)
Finger food will be served, and the affable owner of the Avid Reader is Wendy Sharko: you can call her at the bookstore at 905-372-7233!

For the REALLY well-heeled scribes, Ed will be at Book Expo America in Chicago this June, signing, on the Friday of that trade fair, and if present plans come to pass, will be a speaker (along with Geoffrey Landis and Vernor Vinge) at the ALA Annual Conference in Orlando at the end of June -- and Ed will be interviewing Sir Arthur C. Clarke by vid-phone there.

THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  17:54:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Malaug, Ed toured Melbourne in 1994 (on a 5-week jaunt arranged and hosted by the legendary "Uncle" Wes Nicholson), and loved it. He's not sure when he'll next have time and money enough to visit again.
He can, however, start to answer some of your questions through me. First, Bakra's answer to you re. Tiamat is right on.
Second, Elminster raised SOME of the Seven Sisters, not all of them, and their full identities and roster was kept secret from him by Mystra for some centuries. He also lost touch with a lot of them later (again, Mystra's doing: she NEEDED them to be independent, not "Uncle Elminster's little gals"), and in some cases didn't know who they were in his first contacts with their 'new' selves. Ed has plans to someday write more fiction about their rearing, if he can arrange it with the good folks in Book Publishing at Wizards (and the same goes for the two male Harpers of the Wizards Three, B and I :}).
Ciao for now, scribes!
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  18:50:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Maybe some one could help me find this.

I've been trying to recall the passage that hinted or outright said that the Srinshee was now a Chosen..... Or am I confused on if there was ever such a passage. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Apr 2004 18:51:54
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  21:08:25  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Wizards have posted the times and locations for Eds Signing tour

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/edgtour2004

Sweet, one of these is like 50 feet from where I'm working this summer.
Go to Top of Page

Anani of Sune
Acolyte

Sweden
1 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  22:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Anani of Sune's Homepage Send Anani of Sune a Private Message
Pardon a newb.

If the oaths and curses aren't a closed topic I wouldn't mind a few Sunite ones if there are any. Come to that, I'd not mind any information about those faithful of Sune, but the curses would be real nice.

And seeing as this is my first post. Thanks for the Realms Ed, they're greatly appreciated. (I'm Swedish, we pretty much refer to evryone by their first name, writing anything other than Ed felt silly).
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  00:35:14  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Maybe some one could help me find this.

I've been trying to recall the passage that hinted or outright said that the Srinshee was now a Chosen..... Or am I confused on if there was ever such a passage. :)

Today is your lucky day, I was reading Elminster in Hell while on my break from a certain hideous research paper on Dryopithecus and it is on page 342 of the above mentioned book. And it invovles Vangy.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  01:09:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
Today is your lucky day, I was reading Elminster in Hell while on my break from a certain hideous research paper on Dryopithecus and it is on page 342 of the above mentioned book. And it invovles Vangy.

That's where I thought it was, but I've had people over on the WOTC boards tell me that Ed didn't mean she was a Chosen by that passage...

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  03:27:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, Kuje31, this is indeed your lucky day. Ed had a few spare moments just now (fresh from explaining Chaucer to a young lady patron at the library), and was able to pound out a quick reply, to whit:

Yup, that passage seems pretty clear to me. Can one hint any more directly? I suppose one could mistake that passage to mean the Srinshee was a goddess, but if one doesn’t reach that conclusion, I don’t think one can read objectively and twist it to mean she isn’t a Chosen. :}
So let me state it baldly, here and now: as far as we mortals can tell, looking briefly through the eyes of Vangerdahast, a man quite familiar with magic and with the company of certain Chosen, the Srinshee IS a Chosen.
While I’m at it, let me reiterate: Mystra is the most powerful deity of the Faerunian pantheon, by virtue of the fact that Toril is so overwhelmingly governed, sourced, and powered by magic. (If Ao the Overgod exists, Ao is for purposes of this argument “more” than a deity.) This is why Mystra’s power (the silver fire) is divided up among many mortals: her Chosen. The “Chosen” of Mystra are different than the “Chosen” of other deities (who tend to be champions, advocates, servitors, and so on, who if they have any of the direct power of the deity, are lent it by the deity in a manner quite different from Mystra’s probably-unwilling sharing).
There are other Chosen of Mystra besides her willing servants (Elminster, Khelben, and the Seven), many of them as yet unidentified in Realmslore. All of them serve Mystra in their own ways.
The precise nature of what it is to be a Chosen of Mystra still hasn’t been fully revealed, and is too vast and complicated to be easily expressed in terms of prestige classes or other rules forms and details. On the other hand, mortals can never perfectly understand the gods, because mortals can only see things with mortal perceptions and senses.
So (as they say) continue to talk amongst yourselves. :}

So saith Ed. I should underscore that his “your characters, and for that matter the game designers and fiction writers of our real world, can’t possibly know and understand everything about the gods” theme is one he has reiterated to us original players for 25 years now – and for that matter, as an original player who had to “sign off” on the original Realms agreement with TSR, let me remind everyone that when Ed speaks about the Realms, he does so with absolute authority: if he says the Srinshee is a Chosen, she IS. Realms game designers and fiction writers can change that, later, with an in-game, in-the-Realms explanation or series of events to bring about the change (like the Avatar/Time of Troubles products), but in any lore dispute about the Realms, Ed wins. Sorta like Tolkien wins if we’re talking Middle-Earth, McCaffrey if we’re talking Pern, and so on.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  09:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I find that amusing, Hooded One -- not because I dispute it, but because it seems someone on the WotC boards was insisting the exact opposite: that Mr. Greenwood's information as given here is simply fan-created material unless and until WotC publishes it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  20:31:07  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message

The Hooded One,

Another question for Ed.

Ed,

Please tell us, as much as you'd care to, about Cylyria Dragonbreast.

Many Thanks (to you both),
- S

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  23:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
Athenon posted this over on the Wizards.com boards and I was also wondering what's going on:

"For those of you that don't know, the event listing has just been posted at Gen Con. I noticed, sadly that there is no Q&A with Ed Greenwood scheduled this year. What's up with THAT? That's always been a real highlight of the show."

Has it just not appeared on the schedule yet? Or is it really not going to happen this year?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  00:11:21  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
To THO and Ed,

This is a question for both of you in regards to your opinion on certain Realm matters that have transpired as of late...

I was wondering what your opinion would be if you have thought about it, or not, in regards to the Elves of Toril.

Some say that when Evermeet was created, and the Sundering happened that Forgotten Realms was in essence trying to mirror some elements or shades of Tolkein. I think that over the years that some comments were made directly or indirectly that indeed that was the case. What is your opinion on that?

Some have included and mentioned that indeed the Elves of Toril were too Tolkein like. Though we have had many contributors both in game supplement form and in novel format, that included a rich history to the Elves of Toril. With the resurgeance of Dragons in the Realms, will we see some the more influencial races of Toril of yesteryear, such as Dwarves, Elves, Mulans, and now with the Netherese, take up a more or try to stamp out their unique influences more and more?

In regards to the Elves of Toril, I am extremely glad that we have them coming back to Toril, but one thing I would like to share that somewhat disturbs me in some of the vision of production we have seen of late in the Realms.

Whenever there is a mysterious, enigmatic element to be exploited , or destroyed, we seem to have the Elves right in the thick of it; why is that? Though Elves have taught much magic to the Human Race, we see less and less of the influence nor do we see how they indeed contributed. We keep mentioning their direct link to magic in general but their unique corrolation with magic and its wonders seems to have been downplayed. If magic has that much influence on the primal make-up of Elves, why hasn't that angle been further exploited... What I mean by that, well me give and example:

If Azuth lost a third of his spellcasters in the world, wouldn't it get at least his eyebrow to raise in concern, after all this would effect his portfolio and AO might challenge him that he has been neglecting his duties if he didn't try to promote more spellcasters to take up the craft. In Mystra case, if the Elves seem to have or act as some kinds of inner conduits it is sometimes hinted towards, wouldn't this concern Mystra that the level of Magic Essence on Toril is decreasing too much with the death of so many Elves, in the same light this should concern Corellon and he should be acting more on that? If there is less Magic in the World wouldn't this mean that Mystra is remissed in her duties of her portfolio and wouldn't AO tell her to start getting her act together? This could make a case in Cyonosure that Mystra should be replaced, and you can bet that Shar would like to see that happen.

The art of Mythals and the unique defenses seem to also fall so easily. I know Evereska was a bone of contention to many of us and I think what was done to it was a shame, and how to have Shadow Magic interwoven into the strength and repair of the Mythal is kind of an affront.

We place also a major importance of the Seldarine in regards to the daily beliefs and lives of the Elves, yet both on the attack on Evermeet and in Evereska we seen no indication that it disturbed the Seldarine itself. It seems that the most active of the Elven Gods, is Eilistraee in her populace and worshippers. With AO's decree since the Time of Troubles, we have heard little as to what effect this has had on the Seldarine vis a vis their worshippers.

We have seen no actions to help their worshippers, no proxies or Chosen working for the good of the "People". Even more disturbing is the fact that Corellon the patron of All Elves and Magic, did absolutely nothing in the destruction of all things Elven throughout the years. He seems to differ too much control over to Mystra, especially considering how young this version of the Goddess is. That Corellon has not even petitioned Mystra to strengthen the decaying Mythals is absolutely ludicrous. Sure she has barred certain elements in the Weave, but knowing her portfolios and that of Corellon, it would behoove them both to take greater action.

With the decline of the numbers and the prominence of the mysticism of the Elves in the Realms we also hear no rumors as to how they are rebuilding and what they are doing to solidify their positions. We also hear much about the Elven battle prowess but yet there is no real examples to it, yet the Dwarves get more credibility in that regards. Maybe it is just my opinion but we seem to be treating the Elves of Toril as easy pushovers not to be taken seriously.

We seen the Dwarves of Toril go through the Thunder's Blessing to which they population seemed to double over night and stave them off from the brink of exinction that was eluded to. Will we ever see such a thing occur with the Elves? We pulled another Tolkeinish with the creation of the Star Elves. I think that justice could have been much better served to give more depth to the present Elves, and the various subraces (showing how each contributes to Toril and their race, not just the Moon and Gold Elves), then to create another subrace with the Star Elves.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  01:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Just finished attending Great Canadian Baycon in Hamilton, and sat for FOUR HOURS talking with Ed. What a guy! He just sat at a table with us, autographing books (got my El's Daughter done, of course) answering our questions. Talked to us just like a normal guy. Full of stories about the Realms, of course, and he did say he'd been invited to GenCon again this year as an Industry Guest of Honor, so I'd say there'll be SOME sort of session there with him.
I don't think what I just had can be beat, though. He outlined how to get published for one guy, did the critical editing thing for a gal's story (made her so happy she kissed him!), answered tons of Realmslore questions, and then said he had to pick up his wife at the Botanical Gardens and drive 150 miles home in the rain to do the next chapter of the Waterdeep book. In ten minutes he gave me eight plots for DMing a Shadowdale campaign: NPCs, suggested encounters, everything.
Someone told me he did the same hours of sitting talking thing the day before, too.
Ed IS the Great Man.
Go to Top of Page

Abizoath
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  02:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Abizoath's Homepage Send Abizoath a Private Message
Heh yeah, Ed has a lot of informative things to say about Faerun. I was there myself with my friends at the Baycon on Saturday, talking with Ed for about the same time you did. He graciously answered many of our questions.

Oh yes, my question, if you would be so kind as to pass this onto Ed, seeing as how I forgot to ask him this at the convention.
Q: How come no one has resurrected Sylune? Is there some sort of reason that prevents them from resurrecting her? Or is it simply because she does not wish to be resurrected?

PS: If you want to see something amusing, if you have a chance to meet Ed, ask him to demonstrate what Mystra and Selune would do to Shar, if Shar tried to openly piss them off. You won't regret it! ^_^

Edited by - Abizoath on 03 May 2004 03:40:37
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  03:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
I'd have to second (third) that. I was there both days (beside Abizoath and across from Blueblade respectively... assuming I'm correctly assuming who he was).

Really informative... and funny, too.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  10:55:32  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Bruce Donohue: I feel exactly the same as you towards the elf situation. The end of the Retreat filled me with joy, but everything else from the invasion of Cormanthor by some no-name bunches of drow to the botched downfall of Evereska has me saddened to no end. And Tilverton! <sigh> I cannot wait to hear Ed's take on this, as it would no doubt shed a lot of light on what's happening, and how it "could" have happened otherwise... Akin to a Snickers(TM) bar satisfying me until suppertime, Ed's word would quell the growling, raging stomach of my occipital and frontal lobes, which demand, respectively, that word be written and logic be made of this mess.

Edit: While posting this thread and listening to Led Zeppelin simultaneously, I seem to have stumbled on a theory that would allow a particle to go faster than the speed of light (and no, I don't do drugs). Anybody here knows who I should talk to about this, or if I should talk to someone at all? (I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not a Physicist...)

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 03 May 2004 11:12:55
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  20:07:11  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message
quote:
While posting this thread and listening to Led Zeppelin simultaneously, I seem to have stumbled on a theory that would allow a particle to go faster than the speed of light (and no, I don't do drugs). Anybody here knows who I should talk to about this, or if I should talk to someone at all? (I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not a Physicist...)

This may be kind of roundabout (and very non-Realmsian, looking all around for Alaundo! )Check out this link and contact George Nory on how to contact one Michiu Kaku (funny name, smart guy. Leading physicist in the realm of String Theory) Here's the link:

http://coasttocoastam.com/ Just an idea, Mr. Kaku fields alot of questions and suggestions like this when he's on the show, but I'm not sure if he has his own website. Good luck!

(Turns back to the shelves, whistling and pretending to read spines of books while he sidesteps away...)

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  00:00:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Heya Ed,

Can you maybe give us your thoughts on a debate that has gone back and forth about the Shadow Weave. Richard Baker has answered this, but for some reason, even though he created the Shadow Weave, people don't believe his answer is "official".

Does the Shadow Weave extend to the planes, unlike the Weave?

As I said Rich has said that it has the same limits as the Weave but it's nice to have another game designers answer on this debate. :)

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  00:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Woo-eee, here I go: my first, er, NON-review of a book. Read ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER last night, and I'm going to give you my reactions.
No spoilers cuz none needed. Ed already told us it was present-day, the posted chapter at WotC told us how it started, and Ed told us it went to Cormyr and we got to see Vangey in his "retirement."
First off: the dust jacket mentions "Sembia." It should read: Cormyr.
This book is a romp. Fast action, just a few "meanwhile" cutaways, and if you know Ed's books by now and don't expect to sit on the shoulder of just one character throughout, but know you're going to jump from this person to that one and on and on . . . this is a GREAT "fun" book. I'm going to go back and read the scenes with the two crooked merchants over and over -- and I want MORE. And yes, like Ed promised, there's a scene of being admitted to Candlekeep!!

One very happy reader, here.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  00:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
You’re not going to believe this.
I was just posting here from a public library internet terminal, and when I was signing out, I asked the librarian if she was going to be ordering El’s Daughter.
She told me not only had she ordered it, she’d got a copy, and had been reading it at lunch!!!
She said the official US release date is today, May 3rd, but copies shipped April 28, and most stores should have it by mid-May.
She also told me: “A fun fast-action book, not serious literature – but written by one of the few gaming fantasy authors who COULD write serious literature. There’s satire and allegory and light philosophy there, behind the blood-dripping swords and smartass banter. Recommended.”
So there you go, Ed, it’ll be professors praising you next…

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  02:56:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone. Ed tells me that El’s Daughter officially goes on sale May 19, but started shipping early so as to “follow him around on his signing tour.” He says there were certainly “over thirty” copies sold at Great Canadian Baycon, and wouldn’t be surprised if some lucky folks find it elsewhere “from now on.” The Chapters store in Peterborough is his next stop (May 6).
He bought a copy at Baycon, BTW, so * I * could read it, and I have, and it’s a great romp. I can see places where an editor ahem, curbed Ed’s enthusiasm, but it’s worth reading at least twice. More for the nuggets of Realmslore. And he made me laugh out loud and even cry a few times, too.

As for the GenCon events, Ed says he hasn’t chatted with either the WotC or the GenCon staff about his detailed schedule, yet, but not to worry: he’s been invited as an Industry Guest of Honor, and the early event listings are really for people to pounce on the quick-to-fill-up, limited-slots ‘hard gaming’ events. It was several months later than this last year before things got finalized (usually generic event tickets work for the things Ed’s involved in). Failing all else, grab him at the con (he LIKES being grabbed, and I say this as one who should know :}) and sit down for a talk: if he’s not rushing to some promised appointment, he’ll be happy to talk. That’s what he goes to GenCon FOR.
As for the Shadow Weave question, Ed had this to say:

Rich Baker is THE expert on the Shadow Weave, but I certainly agree with him that it extends only as far as the Weave itself does: that is, throughout the Prime Material Plane of Toril (or the crystal sphere of Realmspace, if you prefer), NOT onto other planes. The best way to think of the Shadow Weave is this: it’s the echo, or literally the shadow, of the Weave itself, and therefore can’t exist where the Weave doesn’t – and the Weave, in turn, is our mortal name for the flows of natural energy we call “magic” because we can harness it (spells, spell-like powers, psionics, et al being the ways in which we accomplish that harnessing), that permeate Toril and are an integral part of all life in, on, and in the atmosphere of Toril. Such natural flows, and magic, exist on other planes, and permit travel and energy flows from plane to plane, but only on Toril are the flows known as the Weave, administered by Mystra, and possess a ‘Shadow Weave.’ Elsewhere, there may or may not be similar ‘dark counterparts’ to the forces spellcasters can harness as magic, but those counterparts, if they exist, aren’t linked to the Shadow Weave, part of the Shadow Weave, or governable in precisely the same way as the Shadow Weave (i.e. a character who can harness the Shadow Weave on Toril can’t necessarily reliably use any similar ‘dark weave’ on another plane. For that matter, spellcasters using the Weave on Toril often get a few surprises when they try to use (or regain) spells while on other planes. Not everything works the same – and results can also vary over time and location, and from individual to individual. Travel away from home, as they say, is always an adventure. :}
And while I’m mentioning Rich Baker, let me not miss the chance to urge everyone to check out his Realms novel THE FORSAKEN HOUSE (first of The Last Mythal trilogy) when it comes out later this year.
And then, of course, it’s only fair that I mention the forthcoming Thomas Reid book, THE RUBY GUARDIAN (second in his Scions trilogy), and the rest of the rip-roaring Richard Lee Byers trilogy (that I always privately refer to as “Dragons Go wild!” or just “Dragons Wild!”). Don’s book THE YELLOW SILK is a great romp, too, and it’s out already – as is Lisa Smedman’s VENOM’S TASTE, first in HER trilogy. To say nothing of Paul Kemp’s tril– what? Get back to work on MY unfinished collaboration? Yes yes yes of course!

So saith Ed. So there, and all that.
Ed also wants everyone to know he’ll dig into the three-pages-plus of meaty Realmslore questions posted in this thread ASAP (finishing Waterdeep MUST come first), that he hasn’t forgotten you all, and that he misses “the daily answering session.” He gave me a lift a few hours ago, and I noticed he’s put 1000 km on the odometer of the old minivan since last week (going to Hamilton and Kingston for his tour). He musn’t sleep much, these days, as usual.
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000