Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  17:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You'll have to pardon the antipodean ignorance, but who is Governor Rowland?

Yes, I forgot you're from Australia for a minute there, George... I live in the state of Connecticut, and right now, there's a large legal issue that the Governor was doing things such as accepting bribes, and using the citizens' money to build a summer home. As of right now, the populace isn't too happy, though things have died down a bit...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  18:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
(My last post was a Due South reference, for those as missed it.)

Here's some questions that Ed can get to whenever he likes:

Why does FR7 say the to-be Knights of Myth Drannor started their adventuring careers in the Year of the Harp (1355 DR), whereas the 1993 Campaign Settting has Doust become lord of Shadowdale (which came after) in 1348 DR (etc.)?

Why does the FRCS put 'The Zhentarim conquer Daggerdale' at 1336, whereas earlier sources indicate that happened much sooner after the conquest of Teshendale?

What do you think of the influence of the tinker gnomes idea in the Realms?

Am I right in thinking that Realms farmers are generally freemen, not serfs, and in putting down the FRCS's statement that the most common government in the Heartlands is feudal monarchies to error?

What are talis cards?

In what years did your short stories "Moonrise over Myth Drannor", "The Eye of the Dragon", and "Living Forever" occur?

Please explain your use of double and single quotes. Is it a Canadian thing?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  19:39:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

What are talis cards?

Talis Deck: Fourth of the four universal games, the Talis deck is used for some non-magical divining, but also for a variety of card games, including whist, poker, talison, elemental empires, and old wizard. The deck consists of four 12-card planar suits (stones, waves, winds, and flames) and the traditional 22-card major arcana (sun, moon, star, comet, throne, key, night, etc....). The deck offered by Aurora is decorated by illuminators from Candlekeep, where they keep the texts of Alaundo the Sage, and has become the difinitive Talis representation in the Realms. Note: This deck is non-magical in nature, but still a bargain at 3SP.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rick Day
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  20:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Rick Day's Homepage Send Rick Day a Private Message
My Dear Lady Hooded One,
Have you ever seen the painting by Larry Elmore titled "The Tax Collectors" (If you have not then Its worth looking up and sharing with Ed)
If you have could you please pass the heart felt well wishes of this board on to the beleagured Mr Greenwood.

Three things we live by: truth within our hearts, strength in our hands and fulfilment on our tongues

Edited by - Rick Day on 21 Apr 2004 20:02:59
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  20:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I know the Aurora's reference but am not sure how much weight to give it, with those unRealmsian mentions of whist and poker. Are talis cards (also referred to in Forgotten Realms Adventures, Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, etc.) the usual playing cards of the Realms or something different? etc.

Edited by - Faraer on 21 Apr 2004 20:11:14
Go to Top of Page

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2004 :  08:08:51  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message
I'm going to give a break to Ed (for the taxman cometh...) and address this question to my fellow scribes.

Where can I find more information about this talis deck? Other than Aurora's, I mean. Pictures would be a big bonus. I'm picturing a visit to a Gur fortuneteller, with the lights out and candles lit, with a full deck of talis cards...

[Edit] Now that I think of it, this could be a question for Ed... what information (as far as rules and such, or just basic descriptions) of those games? The ones with such great names: talison, elemental empires, and old wizard.

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.

Edited by - fourthmensch on 22 Apr 2004 08:25:53
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2004 :  12:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
If you want to view a Talis deck, you can always just pick up a Tarot deck. They have the same 4 major suites that are based on elements and the 22 major arcana. The 4 major suites changed name with each brand of deck that you look at. There are 101 of them. The most popular is the Rider-Waite deck, though you will have to replace wind with swords.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2004 :  14:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, I was wondering how hard it was for you when you first applied to write for Wizards of The Coasts? Also, for an aspiring writer I was wondering if you need an established "reputation" in the industry (like have some work already published) before a company like WoTC would accept you? And 1 more thing, how hard is it to start your own arm of WoTC (Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance etc)?

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2004 :  17:47:09  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Fourthmensch, be cool, no one is trying to subvert anything.

Well... maybe me, but that is another story and a different thread. :D

Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2004 :  18:35:09  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
With the Serpent Kingdoms book coming out, I retract my questions concerning the Lizard Marsh.

Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2004 :  19:43:06  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
In reference to picaresque adventure and short stories versus the rigid structure of the modern commercial novel, and to the themes of lore and memory and love versus evil which Ed made most explicit in Elminster in Hell, this quotation from Walter Benjamin's "Theses on the Philosophy of History":
quote:
A chronicler who recites events without distinguishing between major and minor ones acts in accordance with the following truth: nothing that has ever happened should be regarded as lost for history. To be sure, only a redeemed mankind receives the fullness of its past--which is to say, only for a redeemed mankind has its past become citable in all its moments. Each moment it has lived becomes a citation à l'ordre du jour--and that day is Judgment Day.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2004 :  16:58:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed's still tied up ( well, not literally...yet) with the novel, though I understand his taxes (must do wife's too, because in Canada the greedXXX all-wise government connects all household incomes) are just finished.
However, I have been copying ALL comments here and forwarding them to his ever-bulging e-mail inbox, and feel moved to quickly provide a few of the easier answers.
To Faraer: beautifully apt quotation you posted (Ed's sentiments as well as mine). He will get to your timely Knights queries, and I can add this: talis was originally a Dragonlance game. Ed has invented at least six card and board games for the Realms (e.g. Shirestone for the halflings), and handed them to DRAGON and the TSR designers, but they've never been published. Perhaps someday.
The single and double quotations I can speak to, as a Canadian-born and -trained editor. This is actually inherited from Britain, of the 'old Scottish Presbyterian' editing school: single quotes are used in two instances: to denote a quotation within a quotation (the 'field' quotation already being denoted with double quotation marks), and as I've just used it here: to mark a cliche or invented term or colloquial naming. For instance, if I know that yonder cow is properly called a Shorthorn, by breed, but is being temporarily labelled as part of a subset such as 'breeders' or 'first ship' or something of the sort, that colloquial term is marked with single quotes.
A dying usage, but (in academic writings in particular) a sometimes necessary, often useful one. Ed was, after all, the first writer to ever submit an article to DRAGON (the gates piece, in TD #37) that had footnotes.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2004 :  17:10:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thy Hooded Lady once more, with a few quick answers during The Silence of Ed:
Rick, yes, I'm familiar with that painting, and I know Ed (who knows Larry, of course, and collects a lot of his work) has a print of it. Probably scant consolation during tax calculations, however...
Gareth, Ed has never applied to WotC for work (THEY offered HIM a consulting contract, I believe), but I know the industry is flooded right now with freelancers who used to be on staff at TSR, WotC, WizKids, and other firms that have 'imploded' (shed a lot of staff in a short time), so it will probably be hard to make an impact. The traditional 'way in' (which worked for Ed, back in 1979) is to get published in DRAGON and impress people. As for starting your own sub-line or division of Wizards: no, won't happen. Not unless you rise to become Hasbro brass or at least a WotC vice-president first.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2004 :  21:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
You know, I'm starting to feel like a drow, female priestess of Lloth.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2004 :  21:31:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

You know, I'm starting to feel like a drow, female priestess of Lloth.

What, you're feeling the urge to whip some lowly males for no readily apparent reason?

*hides*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  00:57:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed,

Earlier you posted info about medical knowledge in FR. Could you further clarify that and expand on it? Do people in FR know about germs and thier effects? I figured with Talona being a disease deity that germs would partly tie in with her... Also how many nations really know that bathing stops the spread of disease, sickness, and germs. I know you mentioned most people have bad hygiene, but how bad is bad? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Shalaxin
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  02:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Shalaxin's Homepage Send Shalaxin a Private Message
Greeting to Ed & THO:

I'm going to try to slip a couple quick questions into the mix. First of all just got my hands on Dwarves Deep, outstanding! Which gives a clue to my questions.

The opening to Dwarves Deep makes reference to being bloodbrother to a couple clans, big question is how does some one go about accomplishing such a task? Is it by years of friendship and service or are their certain rites for non-dwarven folk who are worthy to join a clan? Specifically I'm wandering about the small clans of Oghrann.

Second, and I can already feel the NDAs closing in. Can you mention anything about the Thunder Blessing? Seems a bit odd to me that the Soul Forger wakes up one morning and decides to call a do-over. I've always leaned towards the epic but unknown quest.

Third, and not really related to dwarves, but got any nuggets on Realms humor? I'm wondering about common jokes like blonde jokes or knock knock type jokes (i.e. How many orcs does it take to storm a castle? or What did one Banite say to the other?).

Thanks for all the previous replies, my folder of randomness has grown tremendously.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  14:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Assuming Eds Email box has exploded.....

Ive got another question

Ed do you know of any Deep Gnome cities other Blingdenstone (under the Silver Marches and the Deep Gnome city under the Galena Mountains in Damera (As mentioned in H2 Mines of Bloodstone).

Are there any other Deep Gnome cities?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  14:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Well, Wooly, that's not what I meant, but I am starting to feel like whipping one man in particular....

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  23:39:40  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
THO, Dragon no longer takes unsolicited stories from authors that haven't been published or not invited to write an article. It has been like that for a while now.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  02:40:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

THO, Dragon no longer takes unsolicited stories from authors that haven't been published or not invited to write an article. It has been like that for a while now.

Yes... way too hard to get a foothold into the industry these days (IMHO). I tried myself last year, but ended up reverting to my day job... I will admit that I personally consider myself a good plotter, good storymaker, but lack the stamina, English literature background and endurance to persevere in such an uncertain career. In short, I have the Lawful descriptor: must feel safe and stable at all times, otherwise I get depressed. I am also a slow reader, and I can generally attribute good novels to those who can read real fast...

I tip my hat to Ed and everyone else who contributed to add unto his Realms over the years... especially now that I know how hard it is to even qualify for a Dragon article or to even receive a personalized reply from WotC after submitting for an open contest!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  05:32:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed or the Hooded One,

The mod's over on the WOTC boards know I made a file with all of Ed's replies from this thread. They were wondering if they could have Ed's permission to host that file so they could add it to thier FR FAQ's........

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Apr 2004 05:34:00
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  05:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Ed or the Hooded One,

The mod's over on the WOTC boards know I made a file with all of Ed's replies from this thread. They were wondering if they could have Ed's permission to host that file so they could add it to thier FR FAQ's........

*chuckle*

You do know that file will double in size when Ed finally gets back from doing his taxes

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  06:40:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
*chuckle*

You do know that file will double in size when Ed finally gets back from doing his taxes

I know and they don't seem to care. They already know its a 134 page word .DOC but I guess they want to host it if Ed gives his permission.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  06:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

quote:
*chuckle*

I know and they don't seem to care. They already know its a 134 page word .DOC but I guess they want to host it if Ed gives his permission.

Alaundo might be interested in hosting it on Candlekeep that way it could be easily updated as "Ed speaks" is likely to be a "Living Document"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

Alaundo might be interested in hosting it on Candlekeep that way it could be easily updated as "Ed speaks" is likely to be a "Living Document"

Well met

Indeed, Dargoth. In fact, we have such a scroll here at Candlekeep in the library proper. The scroll is out of date and only runs to around page 10, but as we speak, Tethtoril is currently updating this to be made available within the next tenday.

Now Scribes, baracade the doors, the Wizards who dwell on the Coast will not take our Realmslore .....over....my....dead....bod ::thud::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 27 Apr 2004 09:22:25
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:30:57  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
Dibs on Alaundo's head.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:

Ed or the Hooded One,

Hey WotC mods - go seek your own Realmslore!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  11:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Indeed, Dargoth. In fact, we have such a scroll here at Candlekeep in the library proper. The scroll is out of date and only runs to around page 10, but as we speak, Tethtoril is currently updating this to be made available within the next tenday.

Now Scribes, baracade the doors, the Wizards who dwell on the Coast will not take our Realmslore .....over....my....dead....bod ::thud::

LOL

Hey Ed I think Alaundo's trying to get you Audited so he and the other scribes can finally catch up on all the stuff youve said

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  14:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A question for Ed regarding Nurvureem, "The Dark Lady"

In your write up for her you stat her as Female unique adult shadow/song dragon Sorcerer having just recently reread the section on Chaulssin in DGTU where the population are described as "Drow WereShadow Dragons". I thought that both Nurvureem and her fellow "Weredragons" more closely resemble Drow with the Dragon Discple Prc (as stated in the DMG 3.5)and I seem to recall if you follow the Prc all the way through to Epic levels you are eventually able to turn into a dragon

What do you think?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page