Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  03:49:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo, all. Thy Hooded Lady again, bringing more words of Ed:

Hi, Josh. I think Faraer has done his usual superb job of guiding you about writing. If I were you, I’d not mention your epilepsy in any initial contact or covering letter, though your agent should know about it right up front, and you shouldn’t hesitate to tell any editor who’s working on your prose about it (particularly if they take you to task for not fixing something correctly that they’ve asked you to).
However, like it or not, unless you happen to be stunningly famous or infamous, you will be judged by editors on the quality of the writing you put before them. Almost all of them won’t care if you have epilepsy, ingrown toenails, or webbed feet: they just go by the writing. Their job is to procure or develop the best writing they can, within their time and budget constraints.
It IS possible to educate yourself, purely by reading writers who do have impeccable grammar and spelling, to “spot” bad writing or glitches even if you don’t know exactly what’s wrong, and have never had formal grammatical training (quick, everyone, what’s a gerund? how exactly does one split an infinitive? and why do teachers teach people not to start sentences with ‘and’? :}). Granted, many of these writers are English and of earlier generations (and that will land you in spelling trouble with American editors). Even if you never get formal grammar training, a thorough granding in classic writers (Kipling, Wodehouse, Dunsany, Churchill) will give you a ‘feel’ for style, pacing, and elegant phrasing. Obviously most of their writings aren’t in anything approaching a current style, but examples of current writers you can admire, or learn what NOT to do from, abound—in any library, if nowhere else handy.
I can tell you that many individuals from an entire generation (and heading into a second generation) of teachers, journalists, and, yes, professional editors in North America seemingly managed to get through school without ever learning proper grammar—and we can all read the results, every day. That’s not to say there aren’t outstanding individuals as editors, in both “guiding the story” sense and in line copyediting (fixing the spelling, grammar, tenses, and writers using the wrong words). I’ve run into both—including one copyeditor (who shall remain forever nameless) whose marginal notes in my manuscript were full of misspellings and “there/their/they’re” mistakes, who didn’t know that “presently” DOESN’T mean “at present,” and who accused me of inventing the following words (to pick just a few out of a long, long list that presumably weren’t in her Cat In The Hat Dictionary): anklet, archaic, battlements, destrier, ere, evoke, glean, helm, merlons, paralyzation, pectoral, portcullis . . . well, that’s enough. The Hooded One is a part-time book editor, and can say more if she desires to.

So saith Ed. I can spout horror stories for pages, Josh, but between Faraer and Ed, they’ve covered things thoroughly. Tell your story simply, vividly, and quickly. Save the flowery stuff for after you can tell a good tale. How do you know if you’re telling a good tale?
Turn on a tape recorder, and tell a story to a friend over the phone, about something that happened in real life. Or pretend you’re at camp, telling a campfire ghost story. Try telling it several times.
Then listen to the tape. Did you describe settings and characters vividly enough to get someone else to imagine them vividly, do you think?
If you’re not sure, get a friend to tape a brief story about a party or some incident at school that in part involves some people or rooms or places you’re NOT familiar with. Listen to the tape. Did your friend describe things well enough that you can picture them—but avoided bogging down in details and description?
Try writing THAT simply. You can “dress up the skeleton” later. Get the story done, beginning to end. Then it’ll be easy to add little baubles, here and there, like putting ornaments on a Christmas tree. Trust me.
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  03:51:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Peace to all! Beneath this hood I pretend to be a lady (from time to time), and in this guise step forth once more to present the words of Ed:

Hi, thom. Re. the oaths and the mysteries: hey, you’re quite welcome! Great to hear I’ve been a part of corruptXXX er, helping new roleplayers! :}
Yes, there are some useful Realms drugs not yet really detailed. I’m not going to do 3.5e hard stat rules for anything here. That’s more properly the province of Wizards of the Coast writers, working in the pages, physical and web, of WotC products.
I’ll just briefly list a few known drugs. Most of these are secret-recipe mixtures of herbal distillations, plant saps, and animal secretions. They have no real-world inspirations or counterparts.

Alindluth (“AL-inn-dluth”): (ingested) Deadens all pain (prevents shock, nausea effects) for a few minutes. No known side-effects, but if used too soon after first exposure (or in too large a dose; dosages vary by body volume and weight), induces short-duration coma.

Chaunsel (“SHAWN-sell”): (bare skin contact) makes affected area VERY sensitive for short durations (up to about twenty minutes maximum). Often used by thieves or others working in darkness, on fingertips, to make them able to feel tiny details, seams, etc. Also used in festhalls or by wealthy lovers to increase sensations of pleasure—and by torturers to increase feelings of pain. Too much sensation usually causes fainting; revival plus repeated sensory overload (through pain or pleasure, not by chaunsel overdose) will bring on a coma lasting hours. Overdose causes days of numbness in affected area.

Tansabra (“TAN-sab-rah”): (injected, must reach bloodstream) Causes complete ‘system shutdown’ in mammals (humans, demi-humans, humanoids): breathing is suspended, body temperature ‘holds,’ need for oxygen ceases, bleeding stops, any internal bleeding and tearing ceases unless fresh wounds are induced, acids and toxins suspend operations, consciousness ceases. In effect, the body is placed in stasis. Usually used on persons near death, because they are rendered helpless, and remain that way for 4d6 days, emerging from that state suddenly and without warning. Certain little-known arcane and divine spells can force release from “tansabra sleep,” and there are rumors that certain rare gem powders and/or herbs can “shock” someone out of tansabra sleep, but otherwise, an affected being emerges from the effects of tansabra at a random time.
Creatures in tansabra sleep don’t heal naturally, and magical healing doesn’t affect them—but of course they can be conveyed to magical healing while in thrall to the tansabra, and healed the moment they ‘awaken.’
Repeated exposures to tansabra kill individuals, but how much exposure is lethal varies randomly from being to being (volume of tansabra doesn’t matter; it’s number of distinct times the body undergoes its effects). Tansabra is a mixture of particular creature venoms.

Vornduir (“Vorn-DOO-eer”): (inhaled powder) This drug varies widely in effects. To many people, it does nothing at all. Others get mild rashes and itches. For a few, it ‘switches’ pain and pleasure for an hour or two (so a gentle caress brings excruciating burning/ripping pain, and a slap or flogging or heavy punch or cutting wound can induce orgasm), and for others, it makes them feel warm (even if wet and/or naked and/or out of doors in freezing temperatures) and happy and alert (for two days or more, sleep isn’t needed and dexterity and judgement don’t suffer due to weariness). Vornduir prevents shock and immobility due to exposure, but not frostbite or lowered body temperature (so a vornduir user won’t get hypothermic, but could freeze solid). Vornduir is a mixture of herbs and animal essences, and also acts as a “complete and instant” antidote to certain poisons—for some individuals only!

So saith Ed. And you’re quite welcome, thom. Secret languages at school; THAT brings back memories. Three female friends and I used to get quite “hot” openly saying to each other that we were going to make love to our boyfriends at this or that time, in front of teachers—because our own ‘secret language’ was subtle enough that the words we used had legitimate everyday meanings, too. The teachers could tell that more was being said than the words normally suggest, but never asked. The thrill, for us (we were very young, okay?) was that we’d made a pact that we’d truthfully and fully answer any teacher who did ask.
Oh, I’m so BAD.
As for your question about breaking up drug cartels: not specifically. Ed’s Zhents and certain Waterdhavian gangs smuggled drugs and (to avoid taxes) perfumes and wines, and we certainly beat up on them often enough—but we were more interested in stopping their slave-trading, murders, blackmail, extortion, kidnapping, and intended regicide activities. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  04:18:38  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message
Just a quick note to Krafus:

Though I like Ed's explanation about Sundabar's population reduction, there is also a meta-game explanation. Most places in the Realms underwent population changes in 3e in order to bring the figures into more realistic ranges. Many of these were quite drastic (Calimport, for example, went from over a million to just under 200,000). So Sundabar was intentionally altered from previous sources for this reason. This change went more or less unexplained, as it is simply assumed, via the "magic television" theory of continuity, that the populations were always at the levels documented in the FRCS.

Hope that helps.

And now, back to Ed (bows, exits stage left).

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  05:31:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Dargoth, now be NICE. :} Phil Athans plotted Tilverton’s downfall, not Troy.

Oh, poor Troy Denning. I've seen him catch more than a bit of flax for Tilverton. Thanks for clearing that up. We now know who was the real mastermind plotting the destruction. And surprise, surprise, he's about to release a book about the evil drow.

quote:

SiriusBlack, if real-world issues like time and money and agents and publishing schedules didn’t combine to hamper things, I’d be perfectly happy if Wizards of the Coast paid me a living wage for the rest of my life to just go on churning out Realms novels, about one every six months, for the rest of my life (and of course I hope that life is a long one, not a few months of emptying my brains onto pages and then expiring :})

And may it be a long life filled with green fields, fair maidens, and good mead.

Thank you again for the replies.
Go to Top of Page

Josh Davids
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  06:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Josh Davids's Homepage Send Josh Davids a Private Message
Ok thanks both Ed and Faraer, some good hints though my weakness extends from just the type of damage in the brain I flip words constantly as well as add in words that look the same but mean totally different things that spell check just never picks up because the spelling is ok. Recently read through a description of a canyon and when wanting to write Down the steep slope he slid, his elbows and back grinding against the dried clay and loose stones tearing at his vest and flesh. Instead I wrote in done. I blinked a few times wonder how I missed that and corrected it. my most famous hiccup my wife caught me in was talking about the fishing off the coast of North Carolina when I was a teen. Started to talk about the pier fishing but instead comes out fier pishing, I still chuckle about that one to this day.

I have gotten a lot better about it though just from writing a lot, anything and everything from letters to stories. Just the constant practice of writing then correcting it has helped me greatly.

My writing talent is the fact I am a very visual writer, just recently had comments that the description of the scene just dragged them in and they got goose bumps from the dire and doom feeling the story had, which felt great to hear that type of praise and it being followed up by criticism. I actually got most of the stories up on the net for everyone to read at Elfwood, got some good critiques there and that has helped me a lot as well. not only from the weaknesses I have but also the strengths in my writing as well, oddly enough I find people really hesitant to criticize works when that is what I am craving. I normally tell people I want the bad with the good and sometimes just the bad so at least I know how to get better.

I will definitely be up in front with the agent about the damage I have sustained through the years and won’t be putting it in the contact for the cover letter unless they suggest to. Though got to be truthful I have a large at least gathering of books I like in my room everything from most of the Forgotten Realms to Dragonlance, Jack London and Jules Verne, to Terry Brooks, David Eddings and C.S. Friedman, Elizabeth Moon and hundreds of others, I am an avid reader and it is the one thing that has helped me break through the damage of so many seizures. Plus I will be going back to college this year to get my high school diploma finally, I will be taking mostly math and English courses and I am lucky in the fact that there are a bunch here about writing so that will help I think.

Also a personal thanks to you Hooded One that last little blurb about the description is a real help for me. Like I said before I am a very descriptive writer and that little thing just helped me find a balance between too much and too little. Thank ya.

Also thanks again Faraer and Ed for the help there. I don’t know if I can plug the writing or not here, so I will leave it till another day. Thanks again.

Sincerely, Josh
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  08:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Yeah 2006 would be perfect timing for an updated FRC

Alot of the novel series will have concluded in 2006

RAS latest Drizzt trilogy which concludes this year (The recent history for the Silver Marches may need a rewrite)

Richard Bakers Last Mythral trilogy will finish in 2006

Thomas Reids Scion of Arrabar trology will finish in 2005

Richard Lee Byers Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy will finish in 2006

The War of the Spider Queen series will have concluded in 2005

Lisa Smedmans House of Serpents trilogy will finish in 2006

(plus Paul Kemps trilogy and alot of one off novels like the Class series will have been written by 2006)

Hmm alot of the series are going to whined up in 05-06 (I guess the Wotc novel department must have been pretty busy churning out contracts in 2002-03)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  14:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Oh, I’m so BAD.
There's nothing so bad that it can't be forgiven, son.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  15:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ya know, I'm getting the feeling she doesn't WANT to be forgiven. :} (Looks at ceiling, and tells it: Punished, yes. Why do I see whips? And if I'm wrong, BOY am I gonna get whumped.)

I'm joking, people, don't swarm me. It's just: for me, The Hooded One defines "saucy."

Exits, stage left, running like hell!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  15:12:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Why, Blueblade, don't go! :}
The whips are right here, and I'm right here, too.
And, b'jove, I believe you've judged me rightly. Forgive me whenever you want...as long as it's (breathy whisper) after I've begged you to.
But (ahem) this thread IS for questions for Ed, so unless you want to ask him about rituals of Loviatar...
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 16 Apr 2004 15:14:07
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  17:47:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

And, b'jove, I believe you've judged me rightly. Forgive me whenever you want...as long as it's (breathy whisper) after I've begged you to.
But (ahem) this thread IS for questions for Ed, so unless you want to ask him about rituals of Loviatar...
THO

Would be interested in such rituals :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  17:52:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

THO

Ah, Lady Hooded One, you enjoy teasing us, don't you?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  00:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Got another couple of questions for Ed

Whats going on at Dragonspear castle hese days? Are all the Devils now gone or have hey gone into hiding is the portal still open?

Also Demon lords seem to be quite active in the FR (Orcus in the Cold Lands and GRazzt kidnapping Waukeen) but not much has been said about Arch Devils, Have the Arch Devils been active in the FR and if so can you provide some info?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  18:54:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Of COURSE I do, Wooly. Just remember...I'm teasing myself just as hard.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  03:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Of COURSE I do, Wooly. Just remember...I'm teasing myself just as hard.

Perhaps so, lovely Lady Hooded One, but I'm thinking you're having more effect on us males.

Another question for Ed, a quick and simple one, this time:

How common are chariots in the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  03:44:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Another question for Ed, a quick and simple one, this time:

How common are chariots in the Realms?

Alicia of the Moonshae's had one before she rose to become Queen. :) She was riding it in book one of the 2nd Moonshae trilogy......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  03:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
I also recall that Alustriel used a flying chariot of some sort in one of Bob Salvatore's Drizzt novels. I believe it was at the battle of Mithral Hall when the drow swarmed up and that filthy dwarf Thistledown Pwent did some disturbing things with ancient devices.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  03:52:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Metis

I also recall that Alustriel used a flying chariot of some sort in one of Bob Salvatore's Drizzt novels. I believe it was at the battle of Mithral Hall when the drow swarmed up and that filthy dwarf Thistledown Pwent did some disturbing things with ancient devices.

Wasn't that a Chariot of Susterre (SP? I butchered that word!) or a magical item that is like that Chariot......

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  03:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
The name was Thwibbledorf or somesuch, don't ask me, I never could get it either... A small question for the Hooded One, not Ed! (Amazing, isn't it? )

If you could have your PC's visit an outer plane, what would it be? One of the Fiendish or Celestial, or maybe one of the Nuetral?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  04:18:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Well, that means that there's at least a couple of chariots in the Realms... But I was looking for an overall thing. You can buy a cart anywhere, and a carriage in most larger cities, but I only recall one specific reference to a place where chariots are sold. That's why I was wondering how common they were throughout the Realms.

And in case anyone is wondering why I ask this, back in the days of 2nd edition, I played a minotaur warrior. I figured that at 500 pounds, he was far too heavy to ride a horse, so I decided to buy him a chariot. Since that minotaur is in a short story I'm working on, I decided I should see how common chariots really are.

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  08:13:58  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Wasn't that a Chariot of Susterre (SP? I butchered that word!) or a magical item that is like that Chariot......

There was also a variation of Chariot of Sustarre used by followers of Silvanus called Death Chariot that is written up in Faiths and Avatars.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  21:51:54  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Good day to Ed and The Hooded One, thanks again to both of you for providing us with all of this wonderful information that will help settle old bets or maybe should I say help enhance the flavor of the game! I also like to bid a fond farewell to Mr. Printer who has served me well over the past 5 years; he will be missed …right until I get this new one working.
Now in the Realms it seems to be the year of the scaleykind, with dragons going rogue and yu-tian getting their own novel…so my questions are going to be scale related. I was always interested in the happenings in Lizard Marsh south of Waterdeep. The lizard folk tribe has been kind of sort of covered over the years and received an update in the new campaign book. Assuming you can talk about them… I want to know is how advanced are they? Some information says they are slightly above normal lizard folk and another source says they are advanced for lizard folk. When it comes to technological level I think they are past Stone Age technology; this could have been achieved through trade and the exposure to other advance cultures. (Or maybe they have gone through a Lizard folk Renaissance.) And since an advance in some societies means a change of religion, it seems to reason they have gone past a primitive religion using shamans. A good example of this is their leader who has some levels in Champion of Talos. I also read the snippet about the Portal on the Wizards website and it mentions them eating sentient creatures like humans. Personally I think this is just a rumor to keep others out of the swamp. But overall that is just me….
This next pair of questions is still lizard/dragon related and it involves the past. To be more specific what can you inform us about the ‘Year of the Sighing Serpent’ (1289) and ‘Year of the Ormserpent’ (1295)? <And what is an ormserpent?> A simple brief sentence or three would help since there is no mention in the books.
My final question is for The Hooded One, I assume over the past years in the month of October you have had Halloween themed games…be it horror or costume ball adventure…so tell us about one! Please please please!

Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

“One by one the penguins still my sanity.”

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alathayn
Acolyte

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  16:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Alathayn's Homepage Send Alathayn a Private Message
Well met,
I've got another question, and it is realated to scalykind as well!
I allways liked Set from the Mulhorandi Pantheon. I've got a lot of questions regarding him, but because I hope that at least one or two of them will be covered in the upcomming "Serpent Kindoms", I'll only ask one, that I'm sure of, that it won't be covered to soon elsewere:
Well, it's well known that the Thayans are descendants of the Mulhorandi and they fought a number of wars against them. Wouldn't this make them ideal worshipers to Set, if not from past times, at least now, that Set looks out for followers outside of Mulhorand? Set's alignment and dogma fit quite well into the Red Wizards and though I think that they despise the other Mulhorandian goods, this would make them only better for the worship of Set.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  15:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message
Been rereading the FRCS and came up with some questions for Ed concerning Raumathar.

Just what were the Raumathari battle-wizards? Wizards trained for combat, or dual-classed wizard/fighters? How were they organized, what were their tactics, and what magical items did they use most often? What were the typical levels of the rank-and-file and the leaders? Could one make Raumathari battle-wizard a prestige class?

Whew! Thanks for your time (THO and Ed both).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  22:15:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
'Lo, everyone. The brief Ed silence is due to his finishing his taxes (due April 30th up in Canada) whilst typing up new chapters of the Waterdeep novel with the other hand. :}
He'll be back very soon, he tells me...
THO
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  23:13:40  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
quote:

'Lo, everyone. The brief Ed silence is due to his finishing his taxes (due April 30th up in Canada) whilst typing up new chapters of the Waterdeep novel with the other hand. :}
THO

That's good news, wish him success with both (taxes and writing). The scary thing is, I can't tell if you're exaggerating; I wouldn't bet against him really being able to do that!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  00:30:24  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Tell him to take all the time he needs. The Tax-Master would get upset if Ed didn't turn in his taxes before the due date.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  00:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

THO

I told him to just get El to bring a Cleric of Waukeen back with him the next time he comes to visit and let the Cleric work on his tax return

It will free up Eds time (and probably get him a bigger Tax refund)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  04:47:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That reminds me of something I saw years ago on the Web. A document titled:

Canadian Tax Return

Q1. How much did you earn in this financial year? __________

Send it to us.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  04:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Hmmm, sounds like life here in the U.S. as well.

Q1. How much is your yearly salary? _________

You are required to send 150% of said total to the United States Government to buy Governor Rowland another summer home.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 21 Apr 2004 04:58:07
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  11:19:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
You'll have to pardon the antipodean ignorance, but who is Governor Rowland?

-- George Krashos

P.S. For quasi-FR relevance, shouldn't Ed be using a host of El's spells to whisk his taxes into shape? The original Lhaeo would have been a dab hand at sorting out income tax returns methinks. I pity the poor tax dodgers in Tethyr ...

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000