Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  14:08:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Kuje31. I gave your queries to Ed, who was out of town helping with Operation Read (airlifting books to First Nations [=native=Indian] reserves in the frozen North who have no books for the kids to read in school, at all), and he promises me he'll send me an e-reply for posting here by this evening.
He also says: "Great! Keep those questions coming!"
:}
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  18:11:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Kuje31. I gave your queries to Ed, who was out of town helping with Operation Read (airlifting books to First Nations [=native=Indian] reserves in the frozen North who have no books for the kids to read in school, at all), and he promises me he'll send me an e-reply for posting here by this evening.
He also says: "Great! Keep those questions coming!"
:}

Cool! Thanks!

E-gawds! No books to read? :( That would drive me insane since i'm a avid book collector.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  02:46:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
'Lo, all. See not only below, but the "Ask Ed Greenwood" thread in the FR Chat section of Candlekeep. More answers from Ed there.

Herewith, Kuje, a reply from Ed (Alaundo, might I suggest this get preserved for the archives? I don’t think Ed’s set this down in print anywhere else, before):

Oh, boy. Part of me hates to provide clear answers here because doing so restricts or ties down future WotC Realms authors. On the other hand, I stoutly maintain the fiction that everything we know of the Realms comes through Elminster (or, on rare occasions, Laeral), so this conceit (of the sometimes-deliberately-unreliable narrator) should be enough to “explain away” inconsistencies between what I say here and what you may someday read . . .
My take on things is this: Dornal has met all of his daughters except Qilue (sorry, can’t do accent marks through this primitive e-mail [Hooded One note: Sorry, neither can I.]), because Mystra thought this might be too painful/mentally damaging to him, but she did carefully and covertly manipulate the other six of the Seven into meetings with him. Most of them know he’s still alive but have been privately, one-on-one, been mind-told by Mystra not to go looking for him because doing so will doom him to torment and death at the hands of evil beings seeking to force Mystra to do certain things (which she will have to refuse), and because it will harm his delicate mental state.
Some of the six Sisters realized who Dornal must be, during or after their encounters, but kept this knowledge from him. The Simbul did once openly rescue him from destruction (with a spell cast from afar, accompanied by a verbal message: “Father, I honour you!”) years after they met.
Dornal is bitter, but not as mentally fragile as all that, and is slowly “forgiving” Mystra (who went so far as to create a mortal avatar of herself whom he could physically punish and lash out at, to get back at her; he did so, and of course felt even worse). Mystra herself felt guilt over what happened to Dornal, and not only kept him alive far beyond his normal lifespan in an effort to bring him to “peace” before he died, but brought about these manipulated meetings (in each of which Dornal was made aware who his daughters were immediately after parting from them) in an attempt to heal his mental hurts.
In this, she largely succeeded, but Dornal is now suffering the same mental degeneration/utter exhaustion that most long-lived humans (such as Elminster and Khelben) do: the cumulative effects of repeatedly outliving friends, relations, and loved ones and seeing beloved places swept away or changed beyond recognition.
Dornal is still bitter over Mystra “using” him and his wife, and even feels bitterness about her obvious role in the manipulated meetings with the eldest six of the Seven, but knowing he has grandsons (some of whom he’s met), the passage of time, and Mystra’s clear sorrow and humbleness towards him have made these “old hurts” that are growing easier to live with. And there may even be some small satisfaction in knowing that he outlived the goddess that did this to him.
He remains a Watcher for the new Mystra, and even has some other “secret agent” duties for her (after all, a VERY experienced adventurer who really doesn’t care what happens to himself can be quite useful for certain tasks). It will probably come as no surprise to you to hear me say: “I’d love to do a novel about Dornal Silverhand’s doings in the Realms of today.” It probably also wouldn’t surprise you to hear that the long-suffering folks of WotC’s Book Publishing division are almost certainly heartily weary of hearing me utter that sentence, with various characters attached to it. :}
If you met Dornal Silverhand in the present-day Realms, you’d be seeing a tall, gaunt, cavern-eyed man of grim manner and utterly silent movements, who seldom speaks. He sees all (even tiny details, glimpsed momentarily), forgets nothing, and can reason very quickly (interpreting what he sees). He carries an astonishing variety of concealed weapons, knows the back trails, ruins, nearby caves, and other “quick getaway” features of locales across the Sword Coast North and the Heartlands of the Faerun better than most beings, and is utterly fearless (not bold or reckless; he simply doesn’t care what happens to himself).
He often tried to poison himself when it first became clear to him that Mystra wasn’t going to allow him to suicide, and she kept him alive by magically neutralizing lethal dose (or even combination ‘cocktail’) after dose, with the result that he’s now immune to all effects of most poisons, and suffers only minor harm from the known remainder.
Dornal’s hobby, as a onetime noble, has been to learn and keep straight the genealogies and family histories of divers nobility and self-styled nobility of Waterdeep, Sembia, and Cormyr, plus their exiled offshoots; as a result, he can smilingly deflate a noble dandy by revealing that their great-grandfather took the name and titles of a dead battle-comrade, and so the dandy and his kin really don’t deserve to be treated as nobles at all . . . or shock sworn enemies or lovers by revealing their true blood relationships to each other. He doesn’t go around doing so, of course, but he’s not above “taking care of” cruel or over-ambitious nobles by letting rivals or family members know some truths about skeletons in family closets.
His favourite daughters are Dove and Storm, the former because she’s the closest to him in manner and (in his eyes) the least “tainted” by her own spellcasting, and the latter because he’s watched Storm comfort folk, aid in childbirths, entertain with songs, and pitch in and help strangers fight fires, hunt down missing children, and the like, and has come to love and admire her as many folk in the Realms do. He also sees something of his own “don’t care what happens to my own skin” thinking in her deeds and behaviour, yet admires the way she couples it with empathy for others, and complete lack of personal pride.
He once gave all of his clothing to shivering beggars on the road near Neverwinter and walked naked into a blizzard, hoping to die numbed and unaided (Mystra, of course, has other ideas), and was awed when he once witnessed Storm disrobed completely to give all of her clothing to freezing folk who’d been driven out of their (wooden) home by fire, and then lead them for miles to shelter (striding naked through the snow to her farmhouse). A sort of: “That’s my girl!” admiration. (Storm’s casual attitude regarding nudity should of course be well-known to Realms fans and detractors by now. :})
Sembia is a place where wealth and boredom have reached sufficient levels that young nobles and inheritors are doing all sorts of crazy things, just now, and magically-gifted individuals often manage to indulge themselves (and yet survive) long enough to develop some of their potential. Silverymoon has long been such a place, too, and Everlund increasingly so. As a result, Dornal has been spending a lot of time quietly and covertly observing magic-related activities in these three places, walking everywhere and working alone. He has acquired some minor magic items that aid in healing and in disguise, and “the new Mystra” (who seems to admire him) has been covertly recharging these items, ‘beefing them up’ on occasion, and even surprising Dornal (and sometimes, pursuers) with casting feather fall or teleport spells on him that he wasn’t expecting, and isn’t quite sure of the origins of. On the other hand, she doesn’t watch over him closely, and he’s spent some agony-filled days crawling with broken limbs and ribs, or lying almost bloodless, waiting for wounds to heal under the slow benison of his healing magics. Yet he seems to have found reasons, at least for now, to keep going and to serve the new Mystra as capably as he knows how.
Yes, Dornal is one of two or three dozen fascinating ‘loose end’ characters of the Realms who could be very ‘deployable’ in Realms fiction or campaign play (Elaith the Serpent is a perfect example of another ‘loose end’ character that an author [Elaine Cunningham, of course] picked up and used with spectacular success). I won’t start listing and describing them, because I’m sure you could compile such a list just as well, and I DO have a novel to finish. Er, several novels to finish. Umm, more than several, even. As one editor told me not so long ago: “Just don’t go and die on us, Ed . . . or we’ll be forced to kill you!” :}

And there you have it, from the Master himself. Me, I’m just (ahem) His Master’s Voice.
Hmmph. Well, I guess THAT advertised my age to everyone. Sigh.
The Hooded One
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  03:01:47  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message
Ed's a brave man to brave a reserve of braves and an even kinder man to give books out to those who need them the most. On behalf of our people we thank him... But we assume he was already thanked, but more feel needed for someone who does something for those who have so little... (Especially to face the frozen north... but it's been a basically mild winter). Once again, our heart felt thanks to him. Thou art a scholar and gentleman, and our respect is his.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  03:55:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Thank you Ed and The Hooded One! :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  08:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

Herewith, Kuje, a reply from Ed (Alaundo, might I suggest this get preserved for the archives? I don’t think Ed’s set this down in print anywhere else, before):

Well met

Indeed Hooded One, i'm working my fingers to the bone collating the writings contained herein to display within the library proper..... I just can't seem to keep up with the ol' Master Sage

Once again, thanks to ye and to Ed for sharing this with the scribes of Candlekeep

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  18:45:03  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by AlaundoI just can't seem to keep up with the ol' Master Sage.

Then again, who among us could ever hope to? The man must sleep with a keyboard taped to his hands!

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  04:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Hmm, you know, its common-place for me to fall asleep on the couch with a notepad nearby, but when you DM a very extensive FR campaign, its to be expected.....

Never heard of falling asleep with a keyboard taped to your hands, though I have heard of falling asleep right at the computer desk......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  05:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Ive got a couple of questions for Ed

Other than citizens of Shade enclave how many other Netherese Survivors are around?

There seems to be a couple, the most notable being Larloch but Ive also found another one in the Origional Lords of Darkness, a Moresha the Netherese Necromancer. Are there any other named Netherese survivors in FR material?

On another topic Richard Baker has let it slip that there will be some sort of Waterdeep Gaming supplement coming out around the same time the Waterdeep novel you and Elaine are writing comes out, are you working on the RPG Supplement to?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  06:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:

Oh, yes, and one more thing: “Mr. Greenwood” is Ed’s DAD. Ed is “Ed.” :}

I'm never comfortable with calling authors and other such figures by anything other than the formal "Mr./Mrs./Ms. [insert last name]." So you just tell him that if he can survive what's happened to his origninal vision of the Realms, he can survive me, at the very least, paying him what I see of as proper respect.

(However, I'll be willing to compromise by not actually adressing him by name if I think I can get away with it. )

Now then. Carrying on from the old version of this scroll, which I'm surprised lasted as long as it did with this one here:

First of all, I share your dislike for Realms-Shaking Events, since what attracted me to the setting in the first place was the amount of stories all happening at the same time, independent of one another (save for a few mentions here and there -- like Alias overhearing a snippet of conversation about the recent events on the Moonshaes in Azure Bonds.

Low-key stories have always been what I've liked, stories where the characters just aren't known as heros if they move far enough away. I've always wanted to find a passage in a Realms book that goes "Elminster? Who? Never heard of him. Or is he a she?" Of course, some of my personal stories simply can't avoid that, simply due to the plot I want. But otherwise, I like those the best.

However, if there had to be another RSE, yours doesn’t sound too bad. I get irritated with all those gods here and there. That was the only aspect of the Time of Troubles that I actually liked.

Second, I find it interesting that Planescape actually originated as part of the Realms. I wonder if Sage was aware of that?

And finally: “The Endless Chants of Alaundo”? That’d be him repeating “Let’s get back on topic, hmm?” and “Get back to work, scribes!” all the time, I bet.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 27 Feb 2004 06:33:03
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  21:59:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I tossed your queries and comments Ed’s way, and here’s his reply:

Hands taped to the keyboard whilst I slumber? Hmm, Thomas, don’t suggest this to Jenny, okay? :}

Dargoth, I know of at least a dozen Netherese who are still active in the Realms of today, albeit some of them in greatly changed forms. Hint: a LOT of Netherese bound themselves into magic items (especially swords), to ‘live on’ telepathically. If your blade seems able to see what’s around it without having visible eyes, hear thoughts of nearby creatures, and mend/heal itself in limited ways, it just might contain the sentience of a Netherese.
The pages of ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE and SHADOWS OF DOOM both contain Netherese survivors (one each), and I can reveal here that I know of at least two who reside quietly (pretending to be “just plain folks”) in Waterdeep and Suzail, respectively. No, I’m not going to give names, because for a DM it’s far more useful to have them as ‘handy tools.’
The Waterdhavian one founded a successful mercantile family now regarded as noble, and then (having prepared for this with covert investments, coin caches, and property purchases) faked his own death, to reappear as a retired merchant, a role he’s played several times since. Like Elminster, he meddles covertly in city politics and society, spreading rumors and ‘turning’ particular individuals to hold more cosmopolitan world-views (investing in other lands, and taking an interest in folk from those places). He does this because he very much wants to avoid Waterdhavian haughtiness from growing any greater than it is already.
The Suzailan one is a female who firmly believes that Netheril fell because of overweening pride and overarching mastery of magic. She enjoys life in Cormyr (when it isn’t imperiled by war, of course), has hidden coins and gold in plenty for her needs, and covertly works to do two things: confuse and confound War Wizard investigations, and to make both War Wizards and others think that there are secret personal dangers involved in too much spellcasting, and in casting specific, over-powerful spells. She is VERY good at keeping hidden, spreading such rumors through the mouths of passing strangers by means of suggestion magics, and never doing anything openly herself. She’s no enemy of the Crown; she just doesn’t think allowing the War Wizards to reach the status of ‘extremely effective secret police’ is a good idea. She’s dwelt in Suzail for almost forty years, and knows it will soon be time to “disappear” or be noticed as something other than the well-to-do widow she’s pretending to be, but is tarrying because she enjoys the city and its folk so much (she perceives a rising danger in wealthy, ever-restless Sembia of sorcerers and wizards becoming overproud and reckless in their use of magic, but has such a distaste for what she’s seen of Sembian society that she just doesn’t want to go there, while also seeing that it would be a very good place to take a new face and name).
You can, of course, create many more Netherese, though I’d suggest that they all conceal their origins and that they NOT (or try not) to know of each other, rather than forming any sort of shadowy secret society or power group. That would be why, even for the two examples from my novels, clearly identified Netherese should be very scarce. After all, if Netheril is most remembered as a “land of awesome magic,” then anyone identified as Netherese can expect wizards and sorcerers to launch surprise attacks, mind-invasions, and attempts to capture or financially control them, to get all the magic that’s “surely” waiting in their minds, or in the case of items, hidden in places they know.
I believe there will be some sort of Waterdeep game product, and I believe I know who’s writing it, but the tentative wording of this sentence should tell you straight off that I’m not sure, and that I’m certainly not the writer. We’ll just have to wait and see. To play the old “if I was running the company” game: if I was head of Wizards, I would do a Waterdeep product. But then, I would do matching encyclopedia-sized sourcebooks and Volo’s Guides for each and every city and realm, too. :}
Bookwyrm, you can call me whatever you’d like. One gamer I know of greets me as “Cuddles” (THAT’S fun in crowded airports), another as “Bum” and still another as “Monster” (shortened from “Scary Monster,” which was her toddler daughter’s quite logical name for the large, bearded, hairy and loudly clowning man towering over her). So I can handle a mere “Mister.” It’ll certainly prove less embarrassing than the lady in Denver who went down on her knees in an expensive restaurant to kiss my shoe and address me as “Lord Creator” . . . though that DID get us a very good table, as I recall. :}
Yes, I’ve always preferred that the Realms have many small-scale stories going on, everywhere one looks: that forges a feeling of life and realism better than anything else at all.
If a certain scene survives into print in the forthcoming Waterdeep book, you’ll see a tiny joke about Elminster’s infamy and being everywhere, and I’ve slipped other little digs at this into various Realms work (echoing LIFE OF BRIAN, my original Realms players have been known to react to impossible tales of Elminster’s doing this and Elminster doing that, told to their PCs by NPCs they meet, with: “I’m Elminster!” “No, I’M Elminster, and my wife is too!”). The nature of striving for excitement and spectacle in fantasy novels leads inevitably to a focus on the high-and-mighty, royalty and nobility and courtiers holding power, that isn’t a true reflection of the everyday Realms, in just the same way as Hollywood antics are far removed from the daily lives of most Americans. Of course some folk will never have heard of Elminster, and (Broken Telephone style) others will have heard things about him far removed from the truth. To very heavily paraphrase how Anna Russell and other comedy performers have described how folk songs are passed down to us: a singer gets a song from his grandfather, who can’t remember most of it, is deaf, and can’t sing in the first place. And he got it from his grandfather, who ALSO couldn’t etc., etc.
THE ENDLESS CHANTS OF ALAUNDO concerns one young man’s visit to Candlekeep, and how he was treated. It’s where most of the original Realms boxed set information on Candlekeep’s monks (the First Reader, et al) was drawn from, and I wrote it at least twenty years ago.
Even if it remains mislaid for some time, readers of ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER will get to see another character visiting Candlekeep, which should at least give everyone some idea of how visitors are treated at the gates.
And so, as the years pass, I build in more colour, adding to the walls little stone by little stone . . .

To which I can only echo: Rock on, Ed. Rock on. (LOL Hope he won’t clobber me for that one!) And that’s the latest from THE Master of Realmslore (hey, he coined the word!) himself.
I remain your servant in all matters Faerunian,
The Hooded One
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  22:45:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
"It’ll certainly prove less embarrassing than the lady in Denver who went down on her knees in an expensive restaurant to kiss my shoe and address me as “Lord Creator” . . . though that DID get us a very good table, as I recall. :}"

*chuckle*

So this is the extent people have to go to get a signed copy of Cormyr Ed?

Thanks Ed

Hmm, interesting regarding the 2 Netherese

How do you think the 2 survivors are taking the return of Shade Enclave? From the way you describe them they dont sound like they'd get on well with the Shades. Its also interesting the 2 cities/nations that they live in have recently had bad experiences with Shade enclave in the Return of the Arch Wizards series. Also the Shades are apparently looking for Netherese Survivors as well

Also Ive recently been flicking through some of the Old module FR modules from 1ed and 2ed and was wondering which modules have been officially "resolved" I know the Avatar series and Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure bonds have officially been completed.

On a similar topic as WOTC arent in the module making buisness anymore is there any chance you'd do a module for Dungeon magazine?

PS What ever happaned to the Company of the Eight from the Old 1ed Empires of the Sands? I dont think thy get a mention in the FRC or even in the War in Tethyr novel

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 27 Feb 2004 22:48:51
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  03:38:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I just contacted Ed with your followup, Dargoth, and he was just arriving home after doing an author reading in Port Hope: the very funny Chapter 14 Cormyrean tax collector sequence from ELMINSTER IN HELL. Apparently a large audience of old folks now thinks he’s the cat’s pyjamas (ahem, figure of speech, people, figure of speech), and they want him to launch ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER there.
Ed himself is awaiting the usual Terry Pratchett releases, Feast of Crows (of course), and Susanna Clarke’s first novel, JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORRELL, set for October 4th 04 worldwide release from Bloomsbury. The publisher is billing it (inevitably) as Harry Potter for adults, but Ed says from her short stories, this l-l-l-o-o-o-ng first novel from Clarke should be “very interesting.”
Ed’s reply follows:

I quite agree: the Netherese survivors won’t get along at all well with the people of Shade. In fact, I’d venture to say that ALL surviving Netherese in Faerun would be wary at best, and actively hostile at worst, to the new “arrivals.”
“Hiding from and otherwise ignoring” would probably be their initial reaction, and they’ll quite rightly see attempts by the folk of Shade to find them as attempts to snatch their power. If that happens just once, word will get around, and the folk of Shade will then discover they’ve bitten off a lot more than they can ever hope to chew.

I’m not sure that many of the other modules (besides, of course, the Avatar trilogy) have been resolved. The Marco Volo trio, perhaps. We largely avoided detailing Daggerdale after its trilogy (and The Doom of Daggerdale stand-alone). From my point of view, modules are almost always a trove of setting details rather than a plot I’m going to follow closely, so to me they’re never really resolved.

The reason I rarely write modules these days is twofold: I write 3.5e very slowly, and just hate wading through stat block after stat block (a problem when my writing time is at such a premium), and: I prefer to interweave subplots and mysteries, nowadays, rather than do linear dungeon-crawls, and there’s rarely enough space (especially in DUNGEON) to do that sort of thing properly. Quickly, yes, but I find I need more space so as to leave a DM with lots of neat tools to re-use after the adventure is done. I did a short-short adventure in DUNGEON years back, but I doubt I’ll have time to set down an adventure soon. I do write old-style 2nd Edition “dungeons” to run at conventions (often for charity), and have a bunch of those I could toss into print, but I have so many other things to do first (8 contracts lined up as we speak, and yet no money coming in :}).

The Company of Eight were created by Scott Haring for Empires of the Sands, updated once in print elsewhere, and I’ve never really had a “feel” for those characters, as people. I’d personally be more interested in low-level, starting-their-careers types, because I’ve already got veterans (the Company of Crazed Venturers, the Knights of Myth Drannor) with which I’m intimately familiar, if I want to take a look at “old, tested and true swords.” Perhaps Scott will get the chance to revisit them, somewhere and somehow.

Oh, and regarding what it takes to get a signed copy of Cormyr: I could tell much (ahem) richer stories than that one. Oh, yes indeed. My wife didn’t believe half of what used to go on, in the early bloom of popularity for the Realms . . . until the time I was propositioned at a con by a VERY beautiful lady, while standing with my wife on my arm. I gently pointed out that said attached glowering female was my wife, whereupon the ardent fan said brightly, “Oh, that’s okay: the bed is plenty big enough for three.” :}

Ahem, indeed. Thus endeth Ed’s answer. And no, he’s neither inventing nor exaggerating: I was at that con, too, and heard the whole thing. In fact, he’s omitting mention of the lady’s two giggling female friends, but . . . enough.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  04:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
And here I thought only movie stars and rap artists got that kind of mindless fawning. If I were the promiscuous type, I'd be in envy of your sex appeal. As it is, I hope the Lady Greenwood didn't curse that succubus too badly.

I have a question of my own, though. I'm pleased to say that my initial reaction to the title of "The Forgotten Realms" was, as it turned out, exactly what you'd intended: that they were lands that were once known to Earth, but now forgotten.

The question is, how much forgetting actually happened? That is, in your original Realms, how strong was Toril's connection to Earth, and when was the last known (and unknown, perhaps?) connection? Or did you never really delve into that aspect of the Realms, preferring the aura of mystery? Other than the hints in Old Empires, I don't have any clue.

Finally, I completely understand your dislike of the multitude of stats. On a computer screen, it's okay, but in a book . . . all that space taken up unecessarily! And either way, when it's just repeating something (like in Complete Warrior), it's just plain annoying.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  09:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I dont know if Eds had a look at the D&D Minis but the latest expansion has a fair number of FR specfic minis and I was wondering what he thought of them

http://www.3rdedition.org/merricb/miniarchfiendsgallery.htm

Personally Im rather partial to the Aspect of Bane

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  15:06:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed saith: those minis look nice. How does the (very impressive) Vrock stand up? I always picture Bane as more the "dark, helmed, sinister" type (the Witch-King in the RETURN OF THE KING flick) than the buff slavemaster sort...but the mini is impressive. Must hunt some down at GenCon.
Re. the forgotten connections 'twixt Earth and Toril: I had (aside from moi and Elminster) various folk across Earth having "old family secrets" (and even cults) surrounding individual gates. TSR, of course, was so afraid of James Egbert-style lawsuits that all of this was firmly nixed, right away. Which was fine with me, because it kept the focus on detailing and presenting Toril.
Keep those questions coming; your interest and enthusiasm for the Realms is what fuels me to keep working away on it...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  17:25:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I dont know if Eds had a look at the D&D Minis but the latest expansion has a fair number of FR specfic minis and I was wondering what he thought of them

Wow. Thanks for the link Dargoth. These minis look really good. The following really stood out for me:

Champion of Eilistraee

Drizzt

Evermeet wizard

Drow Sergeant

Are these available yet or are about to be released?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  17:30:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Oh, and regarding what it takes to get a signed copy of Cormyr: I could tell much (ahem) richer stories than that one. Oh, yes indeed. My wife didn’t believe half of what used to go on, in the early bloom of popularity for the Realms . . . until the time I was propositioned at a con by a VERY beautiful lady, while standing with my wife on my arm. I gently pointed out that said attached glowering female was my wife, whereupon the ardent fan said brightly, “Oh, that’s okay: the bed is plenty big enough for three.” :}

Top that Tom Clancy! Mr. Greenwood's wife deserves praise for not delivering a critical hit on this fan. Although, that last line....<shaking head in amusement>
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  18:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:

Ed saith: [...]
Re. the forgotten connections 'twixt Earth and Toril: I had (aside from moi and Elminster) various folk across Earth having "old family secrets" (and even cults) surrounding individual gates. TSR, of course, was so afraid of James Egbert-style lawsuits that all of this was firmly nixed, right away. Which was fine with me, because it kept the focus on detailing and presenting Toril.
Keep those questions coming; your interest and enthusiasm for the Realms is what fuels me to keep working away on it...

Then could I trouble you to look at my own thoughts on the subject? Anything you have to say on that would be helpful to me. Assuming you have the time, of course. ( ::hopeful smile::)

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  18:48:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
And I just noticed this on another thread:

quote:

Well, now. Ed fences. Sabre, mainly, and "trueblade" (REAL rapiers). [...] His style was very acrobatic, all leaps and sweeps[...]

. . . so you might be doubly interested in that character story I linked to. Especially since I've never fenced (though I've been trying to find a class), yet I'm writing about a character who's pretty good at it. Of course, I try to hide how little I know by making him a new style to use. (When you can't, act like you could have. )

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  23:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Wow. Thanks for the link Dargoth. These minis look really good. The following really stood out for me:

Champion of Eilistraee

Drizzt

Evermeet wizard

Drow Sergeant

Are these available yet or are about to be released?

There coming out mid March

In july another set comes out called Giants of Legend which will feature Huge minis (Im hoping for a Dracolich!)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  23:13:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
There coming out mid March

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  02:45:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed,

Here's a question some of us have debated back and forth and even Sean K. Reynolds and Richard Baker have even given thier thoughts on.

Is Qilue both a Chosen of Mystra and Eilistraee or is her title of Chosen of Eilistraee just that, a title? The 3 designers have said she is both but in the old rules it wasn't really any thing more then a title.....

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  03:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message
I'm just wondering who came up with the phrase "Dark and empty"? I know it's a curse of some sorts but what does it refer to?

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  04:33:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message

Kuje, I flipped this to Ed (who was hard at work writing), and when he came up for air at the end of a chapter, he pounded out this reply:

Qilue is a Chosen of Mystra with all the powers and special status other Chosen of the Mother Of All Magic possess.
Eilistraee wanted a “claim” on her, too, hence her Chosen of Eilistraee title. It means two things: she’s as loyal to Eilistraee as to Mystra (in daily practise, as shown in SILVERFALL, more so), and Eilistraee foresees using her in some great task (i.e. a not-yet-revealed destiny).
Being as this is Candlekeep, I can do no more than point you to what a Harper PC (not one of the Knights) uncovered when asking a monk of Candlekeep to research Qilue’s destiny. The monk was of course limited to finding prophecies and other written histories, and reported thus: one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as “the Godslayer.”
However, another seer (the monk declined to identify either of his sources, BTW) said “the dark one who serves two goddesses but leads the dance for only one shall be mother to a new race, and change the face of the Realms forever.”
Either way, it seems Qilue’s future bids fair to be interesting.

So saith Ed. Alaundo, you heard it here first. It seems Candlekeep holds some doggedly diligent or creative monks (or both).
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  04:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Yes indeedy. Too bad I can't take the credit.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  04:46:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bookwyrm, I shunted your Jack Archer query to Ed, too, and his answer has just come floating back through the ether:

VERY nice, Bookwyrm. Great stuff. An approach to fantasy that you’ll see something very close to in novel form from me in a year or two (new series, new publisher, must remain mysterious for now, I’m afraid). I also have a long-term project that may turn into yet ANOTHER series that’s also very close to Jack Archer in another way (and yes, I enjoyed most of the earlier Stasheff Warlock novels very much).
So long as Jack Archer ventures into the Realms, of course, this must remain fanfic. Yet your prose is eminently publishable, so why not have him go also to a fantasy world of your own devising, and publish some Jack Archer novels?
Then you, too, can enjoy all the fame, adulation, crit, and heavy taxation. :}
Seriously, this is worthy “good fun read” stuff.
(More, please!)

Ed’s words endeth. Wheee-oo. You’ve got him going now!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:06:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as “the Godslayer.”

I don't suppose she'll take requests on which God she dispatches?? Probably not. Thank you for some very intriguing tidbits of information.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
::sound of jaw hitting floor::

My mother said something similar when she picked up a print out last week, but I figured that was just maternal bias. But from the Great Sage of Realmslore!?

Well, as Sage can vouch, part of Jack's personality came from another character in a somewhat similar situation. It's funny that you mentioned the Warlock novels, since that was a partial inspiration. The actual instigator was when I read about Plato's idea of the perfect government last year. It was the first time I'd actually read about it, and I saw immediately how easily it could be abused.

I was actually thinking of taking Jack Archer and sticking him back in there. I also had a few more ideas for such situations, some of which would allow him to keep his magic. (That older story didn't.) I wasn't really being serious about it, but with an endorsement like that . . . .

Well, in the meantime, I suppose I'd better hurry up and finish that prologue. It's one thing to keep a bunch of mere Candlekeep scribes waiting -- it's far different to keep the Great Sage in the wings! Especially considering where he's going: Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  05:28:52  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message
Congrats Bookwyrm. You should be just beaming with pride.

As for the prophecies on Qilue.. this does not bold well. 'The Godslayer'? Mother to a new race? Such dire things indeed... We pray that those monks had emptied Alaundo's wine cellars before this knowledge came to light... Or Lolth save us all...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000