Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  07:32:09  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
quote:
Hello fellow Realms scribes, Thy Hooded Lady returneth once more, with another of Ed’s replies, and these few words of my own about the Lowlantern Lutes: yes, I remember our various encounters with them all too well (there have been no less than six), and I fervently hope Ed doesn’t want to have us run into them again. :}
Now, here’s Ed:

Hi, Bruce. Thanks for the assists re. the Truenames and Psionics. I doubt the Lowlantern Lutes will ‘fit’ into the Knights trilogy, but they are a fun and interesting bunch whom I hope to use someday, somehow. Thus far, they’ve been subtle enough not to be caught fleecing any Sembian noble family -- but they have acquired a suspect reputation, and at least one wealthy merchant family (the Halanduskers of Yhaunn) have hired (thus far unsuccessfully, it seems) “slayknives” to forcibly end the careers of the Lutes. As for “Heehee,” I agree. Heartily. :}

So saith Ed. Onward into the Realms, gentles, and spare not thy prudence!
THO

You are welcome Ed, my pleasure to help.

Ok THO, why don't you care to have another run in with the Lowlantern Lutes. Be honored if you shared heehee
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  14:48:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo, everyone. Your Hooded One again, with another Ed reply:

fourthmensch, the Sons of Hoar do have more to do with the UE sourcebook designers than me, but they and the Society of the Verdant Arrow are logical creations for any deep, colourful Realms campaign: such groups would naturally develop, given the situations described in those countries -- and of course are ideal for providing endless play possibilities (particularly as they’d be likely to hire adventurers as dupes or scapegoats).
I don’t want to say too much here, because part of the value of any “new” regional sourcebook for the Realms is the wide new variety of possibilities it adds to play, and every “definite” word I post here can cut down on unfettered creative thinking, so let me say just this:
In my view, these groups would oppose each other (and yes, spies, knivework in the night, rival gangs, and rumor-mongering and information control would all be ways in which they’d do so, as well as the primary ‘daily’ ways in which they work against the Simbul’s rule), and I think the various leaders (whom I afraid I won’t say anything more about) would have to become fanatical to ever ally with Thay -- because they know they’d lose ALL local support if they did so.
Even Aglarondans who dislike the Simbul or all spell-wielding rulers hate and fear Thay far, far more -- and rightly view Thay as a powerful, grasping and far-too-close-for-comfort land ruled by, ahem, spell-wielding rulers who are known to practise slavery and therefore CAN’T be better than “the she-devil we know” [the Simbul].
If these anti-Simbul groups allied with the pirates, that too would have to be done very secretly, because much of Aglarond isn’t too happy with the pirates, either. :}
One goes about trying to overthrow the Simbul by spreading rumors of her evil and treacherous deeds (building on her wild temper and swift violence), to make the common folk hate and fear her. One also proceeds with a slow, careful, deft campaign of quietly slaying (or even better, corrupting) her supporters.
One does NOT successfully overthrow her by openly confronting her -- because not only does one have to contend with her power (aided by the Chosen and by Azuth and Mystra -- who want to keep the Red Wizards selling magic, not growing powerful enough that their practises of controlling spell knowledge rise again to the fore), one would also have to deal with other agents in Aglarond.
By “other agents” I mean the Harpers (who hate slavers even more than they dislike strong tyrants, and so are very much on the watch for any attempts to weaken Aglarond), and agents placed in Aglarond by almost every other realm around the coasts of the Sea of Fallen Stars -- because Aglarond is viewed as “the wall that keeps Thay from reaching out for us all.” So these organizations can’t expect sponsorship or trade help from other lands -- only from unscrupulous individuals (in say, Westgate, Sembia, and Marsember) who can see personal financial gain, perhaps through smuggling, in supporting these subversive organizations.
Some members of the groups want civil war (not caring about Thay, or fooling themselves into thinking they could diplomatically “deal with” Thay, somehow), but most want a swift coup -- or even better, the Simbul to just disappear someday and so leave Aglarond for them (they tend to sneeringly dismiss her apprentices, though I judge that to be a mistake, because almost any of her four strongest ones would be a capable foe for both subversive organizations).
I should also mention that certain observers believe the Simbul allows such groups to continue to exist because they focus and gather all resistance to her and resentment of her rule, ruthlessly eliminating splinter groups -- and that via magical disguises she has personally infiltrated these groups, and is greatly amused by their discussions and doings, and delights in planning her own downfall. (While of course steering her foes into debacles in which they are not only defeated, but lose reputation in the eyes of the common folk, making it even harder for them to gain support.)

So saith Ed. Now this last idea I can attest to, fourthmensch, because a certain Tharchioness of Thay ordered the Simbul to be slain and proof brought to her (scalp, with silver hair). No less than five Red Wizards with poisoned knives came to Shadowdale to take her down (her dalliances with Elminster were by then becoming widely known).
One after another, she slept with them (in magical disguises, posing as various of Mother Tara’s “girls”) and burned out their minds as she did so, rooting out all the spells and magical knowledge she could, and sending them on their ways as rather simple men retaining no capacity for wielding magic.
These tactics were only revealed because the last Red Wizard was working with an assassin who bore weapons and a stone that was a dead-magic focus, and it caused the Simbul’s disguise to melt away. The Red Wizard promptly fainted, the assassin fled precipitously out through an upstairs window and discovered the hard way that the wooden cover over the festhall’s cesspool had become rather rotten -- and Mother Tara conveyed the dead-magic stone safely away into hiding (Elminster soon located it, and together with Azuth, Storm, and the Simbul, destroyed it).
The Simbul used her spells to make the Red Wizard sleep VERY thoroughly, and to change his appearance to match hers, and sent him down to join the assassin in the cesspool, who reportedly “slew the Simbul” with fearful efficiency.
What happened to him when he reached Thay with the false scalp and silver hair is not recorded. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  17:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
'lo Ed! Hope you get *some* sleep. You asked about the home game, so I thought I would share some details. I hope it doesn't bore others on the list too much. It's set in 1340 DR in the city of Tantras.

The young, ragtag bunch of adventurers first joined together for the promise of old pirate booty, but soon became known as The Company of the Hall, for their forays into the ruins of Feljack's Hall. The latest adventures dealt with one of the party members being framed for murder. This individual is known as "the Demon Elf", due to his fey'ri nature. The only thing that kept mobs of demon-hating damarans from ripping him apart upon first arrival to the city was the word of a noble paladin. While not lynched, the "demon elf" is hated and reviled by the population. Bards sing verse of the evils of the demon elf and how he will slaughter all in their sleep. He was the perfect dupe to frame for a murder.

The murder of a mercantile agent of sembian powers is an escalation of an on-going and secret war between hidden powers. A wealthy and powerful merchant in Sembia is trying to relocate in Tantras, and if possible, become a lord. His secret goals are those of the Cult of the Dragon. They are trying to take over the underworld Tantras to generate revenue for their overall aims. These efforts have been thwarted by the Greyclaws, the local guild. A Greyclaw agent assasinated the proxy of the powerful merchant in an attempt to stop all activities in town. Of course, the Compnay of the Hall had to clear their name and were able to apprehend the assasin, but have yet to learn of the greater plot.

While the "demon elf's" name is cleared, resentment still is strong in the city. When one of the local lords hires the party for a quick jaunt to Ravens Bluff, they are quick to obligue. The party has recently been sucked into the Dragon Magazine adventure called "the Stink" as they try to retreive a family heirloom for above mentioned nobleman. It seems his heir was "vacationing" in Raven's Bluff" when he fell for a courtesean of that city. To profess his love and propose marraige to the lady, he was giving an old wedding ring of the family (the heirloom). The courtesean spurned the ardent youth before he could propose, and the ring was thrown in the trash. This ring was then sent to "the Stink", where the rest of the adventure unfolds.

While the party is occupied, the sembian merchant power is travelling to Tantras in person to establish himself. The goal of the Cult is to eliminate the threat from the Greyclaws. Perhaps if the Greyclaws can be framed for a rash of thefts, the local population (and valorious adventerors) will help defeat the Greyclaw's grip on the underworld. The party's paladin would love to bring down an unlawful theives' guild, so this plan has merit. Will the party be dupes to bring about the rise of the Cult of the Dragon? I sure hope so. There is nothing as amusing as having the players unknowingly bring about the rise of evil.

Hope it wasn't too long and good luck on writtin Mr Greenwood!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  18:30:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, all. The Hooded One, with another Ed reply. Metis and Dargoth, Ed has your questions, too, and will get to them soon, but he just couldn’t resist replying right away to David Lázaro (with language carefully chosen not to steam parents, Alaundo, though the subject of course might):

Hi, David. Well, how much spice to include in your game should be up to your players. Discuss it with them first. My players have on occasion roleplayed some VERY erotic moments “in the flesh” (er, so to speak -- sorry, couldn’t resist that one), but on other occasions didn’t want to. [It of course helps to have a mixed-gender group of great maturity and a strong love of roleplaying and very close friendships; my group happens to include two stable-long term couples, and some er, adventuresome folks from generations before AIDS.] As DM, my job is keep them happy, so it’s their call. The older in age your players are, the less possibility exists of unintentionally upsetting anyone (as long as everyone agrees on ‘the ground rules’ beforehand).
For instance, I’d never dream of deliberately making a homophobic person uncomfortable when I (a rather stout, pepper-and-salt-bearded man) roleplay a prostitute and go and sit in a male player’s lap caressing his chin and face and breathily making propositions in a feminine voice -- but I don’t have to worry about that, because I know my players and they know me. We have “warning words” (we simply say: “Steady!” or “Simmer!”) for anyone to signal if they’re becoming uncomfortable or think an observer (i.e. someone who’s not a regular player) might be misinterpreting or becoming uncomfortable.
So your first step has to be discussing this with your players, even if it’s going to rob a future erotic situation or scene of its surprise/shock value.
I don’t want to leave anyone reading this with the impression that our play sessions are orgies. Far from it: sex comes up in play (ahem) less and less frequently as players age and a campaign acquires a deep history (and playing style) of its own. It’s just that when it does, we’re all comfortable with it -- in the same way, just to give an example, two “straight” actors of the same gender can climb into bed with each other and pretend to be carrying out a homosexual sex act when they’re performing a scene for a play or movie. I suppose you could say we’re all mature professionals about it.
Our player characters are not ourselves. What we do as characters doesn’t directly reflect our personal views and actions -- in the same way I create characters in my novels who disagree with each other to the point of killing each other, so obviously they can’t all be reflections of my own personal views (something a lot of critics, academics, and real-world clergy seem to be too simpleminded to understand, but that’s another issue).
I think all of my players are used to my craziness, and can enjoy the entertainment without fearing I’m going to use the game as an excuse to jump them carnally -- but I can certainly see that other players unfamiliar with me might acquire that fear -- and I’d never want to make someone that uncomfortable. As they say: hey, it’s just a game.
On the other hand, I once played D&D at GenCon with a beautiful stranger who unconcernedly dropped her jeans and everything else to proudly show us all her latest tattoo. It was very nice, as I recall. :}
Yet more than the view, I admired her casual confidence, her being comfortable in her own skin. THAT’S what I remember, not the exposed flesh.
Which brings us to lingerie. First, utilitarian underwear for men and women: women with large breasts that get in the way, or when doing activites that are going to cause chafing or discomfort (crawling on rock while mining, rowing, etc.) often wear a tight cloth breast-binding or sling (the equivalent of a modern sports bra, although instead of stretchy fabric covering a lot of skin, the Realms version is more like a trough or shelf of tightly-stretched cloth sewn to cords (precisely because elastic fabric is largely unknown in the Realms). In colder climates, soft hide bras are worn most of the time.
For the lower half of the body, both men and women wear clouts: a very tight leather, cloth, or cord (listed here in descending order of perceived quality and durability) belt worn around the hips, and usually held tight by multiple hooks (like a modern bra) at the front. Then a long, diaper-like strip of rectangular cloth (usually cotton) is passed between the legs, up through the front of the belt to dangle down, and up through the back of the belt to dangle down. In other words, the “breechclout” of some native American tribes. In many cases, the dangling front and back ends are designed to be tied together, and the cloth may be folded in on itself for extra absorbency or padding (especially when the wearer expects to be riding a mount). Menstruating women usually place another layer or two of red-hued cloth inside the clout and change this as necessary, and yes, clouts can be purchased that are decorative and ‘made to be seen.’ Freshly-perfumed clouts are often sold in Waterdeep and other large cities.
Among simple backcountry folk in cold climates, women often wear leggings, leather skirts, long hide shirts (tunics), and fur cloaks -- and a woman wanting to signal her willingness for some hanky-panky either aggressively tells her chosen partner so, or hikes up her skirts briefly to reveal that she, ahem, seems to have forgotten to put on her clout! (Prostitutes trolling for strangers often expose their breasts and hold up a lantern to spotlight this fact -- and probably also to keep the bared skin a little warmer.)
Okay, on to the alluring stuff. The concept of wire for breast support and shaping is unknown in the Realms, but corsets (laced-up, tight boiled hide, not whalebone or any sort of stiffeners) and stomachers that cinch the waist tight are popular, and many of them have shaped panels for the hips and a top ‘shelf’ to thrust out and support the breasts. Low-cut peasant blouses and even lace trimmings (as one can see from examining the covers of Volo’s Guides and much Realms interior artwork) are widely used. In hot climates, panties and translucent silk pantaloons, vests, and the like are often worn by women (Hollywood “harem” wear), also as established by some Realms artwork.
So black lace, black leather, and red (the other erotic hue) straps can be worn. Black lace dresses, garments that expose the crotch and nipples, and what we might call ‘bondage gear’ (such as tassel-adorned nipple clamps) are okay, on festhall dancers and in private, among couples. Prostitutes dress in whatever garb is allowed locally; in more conservative places, they are usually fully dressed, but in garments that show a strip of bare flesh all the way up the outside of the leg and torso (i.e. held together with a series of rings). This signals to would-be clients that this particular woman wants to be approached, rather than being someone who’ll offer instant violence AND scream for the Watch if propositioned.
Men trying to signal their interest in sex or courtship will often wear an artificial flower perched on one shoulder: a red rose for “I’m looking for courtship,” a black rose for “I’m looking for sex,” and a steel rose to signal homosexual interest (a device also used by lesbians). In ‘my’ Realms, there’s no stigma attached to homosexual relationships, only to any sexual behaviour that involves exploiting children, and any sexual behaviour that involves force or coercion (please note: WILLINGLY undergoing pain or bondage doesn’t count).
Fops or boisterous types (such as Mirt the Moneylender) might wear four or more such roses to signal that they’re interested in multiple partners for the night, but except in the right sort of festhall, such displays can often cause mirth or ridicule.
Other than the rose, men seldom wear “lingerie” per se, but may shave, perfume themselves, or wear a single black legging (usally on the right leg) decorated with scenes of heroic prowess (usually depicted in red). Tiny bells on nipple-rings are sometimes worn by individuals of either gender to ‘appear sexy,’ and some priests are reportedly excited by sexual partners who tattoo symbols of their deity on the palms of their hands.
And a glance at the published Realms should make it obvious that erotic dancing is a big part of foreplay and sexual entertainment. Elaborately-decorated (with bells, etc.) garters (we’re talking here not the modern straps between belt and silk stockings, but rather the slender belt worn around a single leg with ends a-dangle) are often worn by dancers, both professionals and houswives wanting to excite their husbands, and undone and thrown aside during the dance.
In warmer climes, both genders often signal their desire for sex by walking naked in moonlit gardens, or naked except for finely-made, ‘show’ high boots, headgear (often with face veils), and to-the-elbow gloves (an overcloak is usually worn to reach the gardens -- and if the gardens aren’t private, kept on until a desired partner is met).
Foreplay among elves and half-elves (particularly strangers) often includes the wearing of full-face masks or hoods that leave bare only the ears -- and caressing, kissing, or licking of ears (plus throat, backs of knees, and palms of hands) for and by both partners leads to more ardent activities.
The Hooded One told me to stop here, because she was “getting quite warm,” so I will. :}
Which leaves your Silverymoon questions.
Silverymoon is patrolled by groups of six or more (8 is the norm). These will be armed, physically agile adult persons of both genders, usually human or half-elven, and will consist of Warders (longtime local residents paid to go on watch-patrols) led by one or two Knights In Silver, and assisted by a lone Ardent Legion member. They act as police, pouncing on miscreants. Justice is served by magisters of the city, who are either longtime resident sages (just a few of these, and very elderly) or members of the Spellguard. Citizens of Silverymoon are entitled to have two justices hear their cases, and may choose the station of one of them (in other words, they can request Alustriel or Taern, but may end up with any senior courtier instead -- or they can request a High Guard member, or “someone not a member of the Spellguard”). The other magister is chosen, ultimately, by Taern, and will always be someone able to cast spells, because magic is often used in Silverymoon to help determine guilt. Whenever possible, a priest of the faith of an accused is asked to participate, and most accused, either citizens or visitors, demand that Alustriel try them personally (sometimes, even for visitors who lack the right to choose anyone, she will do so).
The fine for breakage of wares would typically be their replacement value, plus [as much and only as much as this applies] up to half that amount again for lost sales due to having no stock and the time spent cleaning up and in court proceedings (the merchant suffering losses will have to testify, if not too injured to do so). This fine is paid to the merchant “under the eye of the court,” not retained by the city.
I hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. And yes -- whoo -- reading that brought back so many memories that I am warm, indeed. So I’ll just slip in an answer to Bruce: no, we haven’t chipped in on Ed’s cottage (several of us have cottages of our own), and I don’t think I want to say more about the Lowlantern Lutes, because every time I relay one of your e-mails to Ed about them he starts to chuckle, and I’m afraid he already has quite enough evil ideas for our Knightly futures!
THO

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  00:20:18  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Mmm THO, I am know having impish little thoughts running through my brain. Ed Ithink though Ed, is very capable on his own, but sometimes a friendly knudge is cool. Just taking a walk down memory lane I am sure he has thought up of plenty more NEW and IMPROVED scenarios for you all, and why do I get the impression THO, that from time to time Ed loves little bits of nostalgia and lore that can come to life. Afterall, I think that you can attest even more so than us at times, how indeed creative he can be. Heehee (Ed that heehee is for you)

Just teasing THO, I would never dare suggest more than I have done already in some hints.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  01:31:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met, all. Your Hooded Lady here again, to pass on Ed’s latest reply:

Hi, Metis. I’m happy to oblige (and Silas, send me some replies and I’ll have enough to proceed with suggestions for you, too).
Okay, here’s my take on a starter Realms campaign. Given your preference for starting in the Unapproachable East and your probably character class mix, I’d concoct a story wherein your PCs are all folk from the Vilhon Reach backlands (the uplands west of Hlondeth), who came to Hlondeth seeking fame and fortune, but were drugged and taken by Thayan slavers there. Chained in the hold of a slave ship, they were battered by very rough seas, and eventually the ship ran aground on rocks just offshore of the Wizards’ Reach, and wrecked. The few surviving crew were slaughtered by some of the slaves, and a wild battle for food and gear ensued among the ‘freed’ slaves that ended precipitously when a pair of wyverns swooped down out of the sky to feed (on fresh slave, of course).
The PCs were among the fortunate few who escaped ashore unharmed (most of the slaves were wounded and very weak, and all of them are now scattered).
They now find themselves in the Wizards’ Reach, about midway between Laothkund and Delthuntle, in a landscape of tidal marshes, scrub-covered plains, and old, crumbling ruins (of overgrown, shattered stone towers and cottages). Monsters prowl (especially down out of the Yuirwood), and outlaws lurk in some of the ruins. Abandoned roads wander along these desolate shores, and many wrecked ships lie sunken in the sands. Tidal pools (and quicksand, and MORE monsters) are common in the lee of strings of rocky barrier islands (natural breakwaters a few hundred yards offshore), and the pirates of the Fallen Stars sometimes come here to dump spoiled cargoes, bury or abandon treasure too dangerous to keep (such as caged monsters, or magic items they believe are cursed or are being traced from afar by wizards or sorcerers).
This setting allows you to isolate the PCs from the wider politics of the Realms for as long as you want, and at the same time a passing ship or a handy portal discovered among the ruins can whisk them elsewhere (such as Telflamm, if you’d like to plunge them into urban intrigues) whenever desired.
Until that time, I’d begin by challenging them with three things: small mysteries, such as obviously recent written messages and cached supplies found in the cellars of ruined cottages that suggest ongoing smuggling or other covert activities in this area; any monsters you care to throw at them, whenever excitement starts to lag; and a stable of NPCs who (if the PCs don’t slaughter everyone on sight -- and you should start teaching them not to, by having such deaths cost them, i.e. you just killed two priests, and now we need healing!) can become recurring supporting characters.
Some of these NPCs will be small groups of outlaws (rival adventuring bands, making a living as brigands and being hunted by Thayans and/or pirates they’ve stolen from in the past), a few will be priests or wizards seeking to dwell in this ungoverned region (priests wanting to establish their own holy community, and wizards wanting privacy), and some should be mysterious (the crazy, dirty, ragged old wandering peddler who seems to have an astonishing assortment of goods to sell, current news, and sly jokes -- who will simply vanish [teleport away] when threatened; and the beautiful woman walking alone in strange armour, who seems friendly [perhaps VERY friendly] but can defend herself with a sudden orbiting cloud of flying daggers without seeming to do anything to cause them to appear. It may take months or even years of play before the players discover why these “mysteries” are here, why they keep returning to take an interest in the PCs, and who (or what!) precisely they are.
The priests will, of course, be a handy refuge and healing service (perhaps raising from the dead, too) for the PCs -- but will in turn demand PC aid in performing tasks for them, like slaying this or that pesky monster that’s been raiding their garden plots and gardeners.
The wizards will, of course, be conducting crazy experiments (and perhaps have some golems or automatons to surprise aggressive PCs with, as a result) and look upon PCs as perils to be driven off or slain -- or handy muscle to be hired (to “find and slaughter me a basilisk, and bring me this bit of its innards” or “there’s a man called One-Eyed Rijakk, somewhere in Laothkund, who stole a stone from me that’s about this size, that colour, and has THIS rune drawn on it; get it back from him, will ye? He need not survive your meeting with him” [Rijakk’s almost certain to be a Shadowmaster, by the way, and if the PCs do anything to him, that’ll bring them to the attention of the Shadowmaster guild in Laothkund]) and paid well -- half up front, and half when they complete the task.
There also seem to be a lot of small, wandering warbands in the vicinity, and most of them seem to be hunting for something. Just what, the PCs will have to find out -- whilst avoiding the occasional pirate or Thayan parties, and perhaps a Harper or two.
Moreover, the Simbul seems to want to stem any stealthy advance of Thayan influence through the Reach by allowing a restless Aglarondan (probably a suspected Son of Hoar whom she trusts not at all) to call himself “Lord of Summerspar” or some such title, and establish himself in an old keep nearby. He’ll start sending out mounted patrols, whilst he schemes about how to get rich by making deals with some gnomes and dwarves who come to him with a proposition: it seems there are some VERY rich deposits of certain gems close to the surface here, but the dwarves and gnomes dare not tunnel to them from below because of the danger of tidal flooding and because of certain subterranean perils (intelligent monsters of your choice). They’re hoping that this local Lord can build a little keep over top of them, and defend it, whilst they mine the gems from the surface -- and so share in the wealth. Now, the Lord has brought with him his “Lady,” a female sorceress who seems far too young and far too unfriendly towards him to be the wife he claims her to be, and this young lady has a spitfire temper, some strong spells -- and is seemingly instantly aware of the PCs and spying on them magically from afar. Is she working for the Simbul? Or herself? Or someone else entirely? And is she trying to make the PCs her private strike force?
Nor does she seem to be the only one watching the PCs. Some sort of monster seems to be stalking them, wherever they go and however they camp or hide, never attacking but sometimes observing them from VERY close by -- and someone else evidently thinks the PCs are the agents he or she has been waiting for, and keeps leaving them cryptic written messages telling them the time of “The Moot” is fast approaching, and have they “brought what is needful”? Do they know “all the words” they “will need”?
Also, silent hauntings or apparitions seem to follow and react to just one of the PCs, who should be just as mystified as his or her companions as to who the images are, and what they want.
The encounters should regularly give the PCs a chance to hack things and blow off steam, and your challenges should force them to work together and develop friendships, debts to each other, loyalties, and regularly hand them both puzzles and hopes. They should be building NPC contacts constantly (whether they want to, or not :}), and you should make sure they have ‘in game’ chances to discuss what to do next and choose, rather than always reacting to things you hurl at them. Then, pay close attention to what they seem to want (both goals for their characters and style of play and encounters), and shift the campaign accordingly.
“Please, inspire me,” you said, and I hope I’ve started to do that. Please let me know, okay?

Hmmm. Well, I’M interested, Metis! :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  02:18:52  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Great sample chapter of Elminster's Daughter Ed, and the artist that did the cover to the book, did such a fine job.
Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  04:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
Much inspiring, thank you Ed! After I had posted some changes came up… The party consists of a half-orc barbarian, a tiefling wizard (who fled from Thay), a human cleric of Shaundakul, and a strongheart halfling rogue.

The half-orc and cleric of Shaundakul have long been companions and both dwell in Thesk. The tiefling ran into them in Thesk, and likewise, the halfling was drawn to Telflamm because of rumors upon rumors about the limitless wealth to be found there. The halfling ran into some trouble with the Shadowmasters and while in hiding came across the obviously well-armed and powerful looking other PCs. He quickly befriended them, hoping they’d offer some protection, and a chance to escape the city quickly. He managed to overhear a bit of their conversation about sailing with a Captain Orel, aboard a merchant ship headed to Hlondeth and soon will either be talked (bribed), or smuggled aboard.

That journey will offer a few chances for the PCs to run into various aquatic humanoids (sahaugin), and pirates and such.

What else might I include to keep the trip interesting? Gambling with the crew could be an option… Any suggestions master of the Realms?

It seems that you like to keep your email address private, but I was also wondering if perhaps we might be able to communicate via email about this, or if I could mail my questions and such to the Lady Hooded One directly, in case a player of mine should happen across this board.

I conceal my identity as much as I can, but if they happened upon this and recognized the description of their PC my cover would be quite blown. Anyway my email address is herrdoktorjones@hotmail.com and I'd be delighted to hear from either yourself or the Lady Hooded One if this is at all possible.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  04:30:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again from Thy Hooded Lady, and hearken, all who desire to learn more of the rich tapestry that is the Realms, to the latest words of Ed:

Hi, Dargoth. Well, as for those Underdark cities, Eric Boyd’s your man. I designed Menzoberranzan, several hundred miles of drow tunnels under Shadowdale, and the dwarf realms east of the Great Rift, and then decided I’d better turn back to the surface world (because so much of it was neglected, and because so many other folks were so busy detailing the dark deeps).
Now, as for the dwarves, the Ironstars and the Brightblades aren’t linked beyond a few relatively recent ties of marriage (and, as you know, there aren’t all that many Ironstar dwarves left). The dwarves were once so numerous in mountainous areas of the Realms that having two clans dwelling so close together wasn’t that unusual at all (after all, there are humans in both places, and no one assumes one bunch are necessarily colonists from the other place). In the years of many foes and dwindling births, the dwarves were often forced to flee and to go into hiding, or go down into extinction stubbornly fighting to the last dwarf, and some strange juxtapositions have resulted (usually where dwarf-foes were weak or few or both, and hiding-places good). As a result, an observer today can assume nothing about any dwarf clan purely from the location of some of its members. Some day I hope to delve into matters dwarven in much greater detail -- and I know of at least one unpublished Realms novel (no, not by me, and no, I’ll not say more about it) that’s all about dwarves and only about dwarves. Now, if you want to look at truly “forgotten” races in the published Forgotten Realms, the gnomes are a good place to start!

Ah, Dargoth, you hit upon one of Ed’s sore points: his inability to get the spotlight off what I call the Sexy Three: humans, elves, and drow. The hin clans got chopped out of The Five Shires, the gnome language Volo article dumped by DRAGON, the Shirestone halfling gambling game ditto . . . time and again, these details got tossed aside, further reinforcing the “Give us more drow! Give us more naked babes! Give us more noble elven naked babes! Because that’s all gamers want!” mantra.
Now, being a babe who has in my time gotten naked and done the “paint my skin black, give me pointed ears and a white wig, and I’ll wow these jaded original Realms players, just watch me!” gig, I ENJOYED flogging my way through the gaming cottage snarling, “On your knees for Lolth, worthless males!” (And only two of them giggled. And I KNOW they liked it, too.)
However, I see Ed’s point. It’s hard to present a balanced world when you never get to show some bits of it.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  05:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
*chuckle*

Im suprised Ed didnt work on Races of Faerun then, that would have been the perfect product to throw some light on the some of the more "shy" races

Consider this my contribution to Dwarven affirmitive action

When I bought the PGTF I noticed that there was no Dwarven region in the Dalelands so I created my own

Dwarves of Glen (Mistledale)

Recommended Subrace: Shield Dwarf
Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Chondathan
Bonus Languages: Damaran, Draconic, Undercommon
Favoured Deity: Dwarven Pantheon
Regional feats: Caravanner (1), DragonFriend (2), Silver Palm, Thunder Twin
Bonus Equipment: A) MW Dwarven Waraxe or MW Warhammer B) Five 50gp gold bars

Dwarves of the Mines of Tethyamar (Refugees and descedants)

Recommended Subrace: Shield Dwarf
Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Chondathan
Bonus Languages: Giant, Infernal, Orc, Undercommon
Favoured Deity: Dwarven Pantheon
Regional feats: Foe Hunter (Devils), Luck of Heros, Thunder Twin, Tireless
Bonus Equipment: A) Three potions of Cure Light wounds B) Splint mail and MW Heavy Steel Shield

(1) Knowledge check applies to underdark Regions
(2) Feat from Draconomicon, Ignore printed Prerequisites replace with Dwarf from Glen

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  11:05:08  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message
Thanks for the reply on the Sons of Hoar, Ed!

And regarding your campaign starter--even though it wasn't in response to my question--wow. There are enough ideas in there to kick me in the butt when I feel blocked for months to come. :)

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  17:55:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Steven, what Ed has told me about you, and your superb work on the Realms (which reveals your deep love of it in nigh every paragraph) both make me want to greet you VERY affectionately if ever we meet [so I suppose I should innocently tell you I’m keeping quite healthy, and from that thought make the little carnal leap to thinking of Ed’s cottage, and then mention that Ed tells me you wouldn’t recognize the gaming cottage now, as its interior has been completely rebuilt since the two of you sprawled on the mouse-drilled sofas therein and talked of life, the universe, and everything for hours -- and the sofas are gone, too -- and didn’t I adroitly digress over here into quite a different field than I started in :}].

Thanks for the kind words, THO; is it possible to blush on the Internet?

One of these days, I'll have to come up and see the cabins again and perhaps meet some of the (in)famous Crazed Venturers/Knights in person as well as bringing Ed and Jen whatever delicacies they desire from the Barbarian States to the South...

quote:
Steven! I must call you for another long chat, the moment my @#$!%#$ taxes and this latest little novel thingie are done. Enough sleep? Of course not; I’m down to about four hours, most nights. My diet is DISGUSTINGLY healthy, and dominated by green tea and raw salmon (my younger brother is a top-drawer chef, and sister-in-law is vegetarian, so Jen cooked about a dozen gourmet veggie dishes when they visited a week ago, and I’m manfully wading through the leftovers [er, I don’t think anyone on this list needs to tell her I used the phrase “wading through,” okay? Let it remain a secret just between all of us, and thereby increase my life expectancy]). Thanks for your good wishes re. the novel -- and when do we see YOURS, hmm?

Looking forward to chatting again soon; best of luck with all that.

Re: a novel--when I finish one, that's when!

And the image that went through my mind when you mentioned eating raw salmon was you emerging out of the river and up toward your cabin, a salmon wriggling in your teeth.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  20:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
The question of crediting and publicizing creators over brands and publishers is really a hugely tentacled wide-reaching question. It occurs in the computer games field (see here and here) as well as RPG publishing.

RPG products are less dependent than other books on authors because of the greater role of developers, graphic designers and illustrators, and in some cases pre-existing milieux. But the gap isn't nearly so great as to explain why almost no one buys novels because of the publisher, yet people commonly refer to RPG products by the publisher rather than the writer.

Edited by - Faraer on 09 Apr 2004 20:22:16
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  23:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
For comparison, see Chris Pramas's post halfway down this page talking up the importance of developers and editors. Since I'm one and have handled my share of cruddy manuscripts, that view appeals, but I've heard too many references to 'Green Ronin books' to think the pendulum needs to go any further from the author, especially when it's *not* merely author-of-credit.

Edited by - Faraer on 10 Apr 2004 00:47:19
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  00:20:51  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
A question for Ed,

I'm not sure if whether or not this has been addressed or whether such a question would infringe on pending projects, but I will throw it out here anyways.

I would appreciate any lore concerning the Tower of Balance, Mystra's temple in Silverymoon.

I understand if this question cannot be answered, and I thank you for your time regardless.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  03:18:26  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Faer,

You can check a wonderful site on Silverymoon that is verymuch canon or at least most of it that does detail the Mysterian temple.

You can do a search under: Project Silverymoon since I can't remember the site address at the moment. Actually it is a site that I recommend to many. It is very well done.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  03:55:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
Check out http://www.gemofthenorth.org/ for the Project Silverymoon information.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:40:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another question for Sage Greenwood, via the lovely Lady Hooded One...

A question in another thread has made me realize that, unless I am mistaken, Velsaert of Baldur's Gate has never been detailed anywhere. As that esteemed sage of things draconic has been mentioned in many places, I find that a bit odd...

So, have you any info about him you can share?

Thanks again, to both of you!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  07:02:16  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
http://www.gemofthenorth.org/temples/tob01.html

This should help Faer
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  09:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, hey. I was wondering if you are going to create an omnibus of the Shandril trilogy as well as one for the Elminster series?

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  16:34:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
The Hooded One, with a swift reply for Gareth Yaztromo:
Unfortunately, Ed has no say in how novels are published or republished. If Shandril's Saga ever appears as an omnibus, it will be entirely at the behest of Wizards of the Coast. The Book Publishing folks are all friends with Ed and discuss most Realms books projects with him (in private, of course), but not always...and Ed has no "control" over what's published about the Realms.
If he did, you'd see a lot of novels that many, many Realms fans have been asking for, down the years, like: the return of Bane, a Manshoon solo novel, a series of novels starring Mirt the Moneylender, Elminster raising the infant Sisters, solo novels for most of the Chosen, a followup Cormyr novel, etc etc etc...
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  16:49:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Metis, perhaps in the future when Ed has more time we could do the private e-mail thing, okay? For now, Ed has these for-the-voyage suggestions:

Smuggled goods, fellow passengers who are spies for: 1. someone (the Harpers?) keeping a watch on what’s going on, 2. the cargo itself (someone “safe-eyeing it” to wherever it’s headed), 3. a fellow passenger who’s an important personage from Telflamm, escaping Shadowmaster vengeance there with his/her ‘life savings’ carried along as gems, 4. another fellow passenger who’s the Shadowmaster assassin (a doppleganger?) along to slay Number Three the moment the whereabouts of the gems are uncovered, 5. the “open Harper” agent (along to distract the attention of other passengers and crew from Number One) who’s a garrulous old man with tons of colorful adventuring tales to share (some of which will point PCs at adventuring possibilities), and who carries on his body some small item that’s a focus for a spectral harpist who can emerge to defend him/warn or awaken PCs/scare folks aboard as “a haunting” -- and, some carried cargo that seems to be a focus for various aquatic undead who swarm up the sides of the hull from time to time… exciting? I’d say this is a voyage no one should be able to forget, for a long time! (Which has the added advantage of making your players think of sailing away as a last resort, from now on: overland travel for us!!!!

So saith Ed. I’m glad I’m not aboard! :} What, Ed, no lady escorts?
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  17:46:15  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
THO at any time during your adventures with Ed, was there ever a time that the setting he introduced you to resembled or mirrored French medieval history like the Court of Love?

Ed I think that Thomas Reid hinted that he was majorly influenced by Italian history for the setting of Arrabar for his book and the merchantile style a la De Medeci (sorry if I spelt it wrong), would there be a period or a place in the realms that would have similarities to French 15th or 16th century and the grand formal settings like the Court of Love was famous for in the Dark Ages of our history?
Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  17:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
Thank you Lady Hooded One, and Ed! I, of course, understand that Ed is a horrendously busy man and will just cross my fingers that my players don't visit these boards (I'd rather not ask because they'd immediately go hunting for it). I only know for certain that they prowl the Wizards.com boards.

This voyage should be interesting, tee hee. We gather to play every Sunday (Easter shall not get in our way!) so I'll let you know how the first session goes. I very much have to get to work on preparations now, thanks Ed!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  21:51:24  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Greetings Hooded One and Ed of the Greenwood!
Thank you for taking time out of yours busy schedules to answer my questions and everyone’s else’s questions. I plan on taking the responses and placing them in the DM folder as soon as Mr. Bubblejet 812 decideds to work for me again. Now I have two questions for you,
In our bi-monthly campaign in the Realms, an artificer from Lantan (the only human trained) and a cleric of Tempus are working together to become the Baron of the Stonelands. My first question deals with the issue of smokepowder, if created or imported into Cormyr do they need the Regents seal of approval? Does the Kingdom take half and they keep half? (okay make that three questions) As for the next question, it concerns clockwork technology. How complex can the clockworks be? I know simple children toys have been made and I think some very rich folk or cities might even have a few clocks. (not water clocks) The current plan is to man the keep with a small clockwork army of ‘tin-soldiers’…loyal, obedient, never need to sleep or eat…much less complain about the weather.
Enjoy the holiday,
Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread
“There can only be one.”
-Highlander
“There should of only been one.”
-After seeing the third movie.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  15:29:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met, all. Thy Hooded Lady, bringing once more the words of Ed:

Bruce, I try NEVER to have the Realms mirror real-world history all that closely, because of its harmful effects on roleplaying (as oft stated before), although others who’ve contributed to the published Realms haven’t shared this philosophy.
The closest the Realms has come to ‘courtly love’ is Alustriel’s rule in Silverymoon. My players even referred to her as ‘the Queen of Courtly Love.’

So saith Ed. Who is deep in visiting family right now.
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  18:12:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo, everyone. The Hooded One returns with more words from Ed:

zeathiel (Brian), you will indeed receive more lore about the Tower of Balance, but I’m afraid you may have to wait almost a year, and see it elsewhere than here (in other words, like everything else “new” about Silverymoon, future projects are involved). Sorry. In the meantime, if I were you, I’d make use of the excellent Project Silverymoon website suggested (and linked to) in this thread.
Let me provide just this tidbit: it’s widely known in the city that the clergy of the Tower are involved in ongoing work on gigantic magics (“spellwebs”) that are added to as the months and years pass, as worshippers’ offerings and divine revelations are incorporated into the ever-growing spell-constructions. What ISN’T known across Silverymoon is just what these ‘spellwebs’ DO, or are intended to do. Many different powers are spoken of, but none are confirmed (clergy refuse to speak of them in detail, even to professed believers in Mystra).

So saith Ed. Hmmm; now THAT’S a tidbit!
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  02:22:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, gentles. Thy Hooded Lady, riding in once more with the vocalized wisdom of Ed:

Yes, Bruce, a stunningly beautiful cover for Elminster’s Daughter. I’m very pleased with it. I’m glad you liked the sample chapter -- but I should warn you and everyone who reads it not to open the complete book and expect to find more chapters set in Waterdeep therein.
The action shifts east, into another of my favourite Faerunian playgrounds. :}

Wooly Rupert, Velsaert is an interesting personage. I don’t want to crash into forthcoming Realms projects of which I should say NOTHING more right now by providing too much detail about Velsaert, but let me say this much: most folk in the Realms know him only by his reputation and writings (in the last two decades, he seems to have become more reclusive than he once was), and rumors are arising that whisper Velsaert’s apparent shyness might have something to do with changes to his body (some say talons, some say scales, some say nictating membranes over his eyes, some even speak of a tail) that might suggest a closer connection with things draconic than had been hitherto suspected. However, it’s been said before (by the long-dead wit and playwright Aunselrus of Myratma) that “rumor hisses as menacingly as a harmless grass snake, but sinks its fangs in when least expected, not when heard from most loudly.”

So saith Ed, who’s just full of surprises these days. Our next Realmsplay sessions bid fair to be interesting indeed.
THO
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  03:31:43  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message
Ed,

I was wondering - have you always been basically a D&D/fantasy roleplayer through the years, or have you been involved in campaigns in other genres i.e. espionage, superheroes, etc.?

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  03:59:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Yes, Bruce, a stunningly beautiful cover for Elminster’s Daughter. I’m very pleased with it. I’m glad you liked the sample chapter -- but I should warn you and everyone who reads it not to open the complete book and expect to find more chapters set in Waterdeep therein.
The action shifts east, into another of my favourite Faerunian playgrounds. :}

Sounds like we might get a chance to see how a certain Regent is doing in her new job. And how she's relieving any stress from said job....

Who is the artist by the way for the wonderful cover for this upcoming novel? I don't recall the name being mentioned before.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000