Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

Silas the mariner
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  15:42:10  Show Profile  Visit Silas the mariner's Homepage Send Silas the mariner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Silas the mariner

If you were a first-time DM running an adventure for a group of first-time players, whereabouts in the Realms would you base the adventure, and what kind of encounters would you employ?

Mornin' THO :)

Did you ever get a reply from Ed as to my above question?

And my, hasn't the board's popularity increased recently!! :P

It's not the stone you see that trips you... unless you're a complete idiot.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  16:07:09  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Oops, heehee, I guess I have some back peddling and grovelling to do then. Sorry THO, if I thought you were Jhaele, just some of the funny comments kind of reminds me of the character in personality. I therefore do apologise if in any shape or form I offended thee, but now that Ed opened that wonderful little can of worms, please due tell us how that all came about in regards the mud wrestling match between your character and Jhaele? You don't have to mention if you don't want to (would be fun though) what your character name is, because come to think of it... in all 17 pages of this forum, you have never once mentioned which one was indeed the character you played? If you chose not to, well no harm, no foul in asking, a Madame is indeed entitled to shrouding herself in the allure of mystery.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  18:00:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
As for the Srinshee: sorry, classified (WotC plans).

Were these plans proposed by Ed or came from another contributer to the Realms?

Thank you again for all your time and patience in replying.

Mud wrestling? Hmmm.....
Go to Top of Page

digitalelf
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  18:11:40  Show Profile  Visit digitalelf's Homepage Send digitalelf a Private Message
Seems me question hath been overlooked

quote:
Originally posted by digitalelf

Hail and Well Met, Mr. Ed of the Greenwood

What lore of The Red Knight can you offer?

Specifically, what prayers and offerings would a young follower offer to her?

Also, a few oaths would be much appreciated

-That One Digitalelf Fellow-
(DM of the Realms since 1987)

Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  18:45:25  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
Bruce if you'd read all the pages of this post, you'd know our Hooded Lady is not going to mention her name OR anything about her character, for personal reasons!! Let her be!

Sheesh! Alaundo, mebbe you could put an advisory about this at the beginning of the post so new posters won't keep bugging her?

Sorry, Oh Hooded Lady, I just don't want to lose our 'channel' into the great one's mind!

thom
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  21:27:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thom

Bruce if you'd read all the pages of this post, you'd know our Hooded Lady is not going to mention her name OR anything about her character, for personal reasons!! Let her be!

Given that this thread is now at 17 pages, I think it's possible for even the most diehard Realms fan to not catch clearly that fact upon scanning the pages. Moreover, since Bruce is new to Candlekeep, as are many these days, I think we can politely point out to him even without exclamation points that THO wishes to remain anonymous in all shapes or forms including characters played.

quote:

Sheesh! Alaundo, mebbe you could put an advisory about this at the beginning of the post so new posters won't keep bugging her?

A possible way to forestall future queries. Have you emailed Alaundo this idea?

quote:

Sorry, Oh Hooded Lady, I just don't want to lose our 'channel' into the great one's mind!

I'll take a wild leap of faith and say given Bruce's polite tone in his messages, which is also not always found in others, and the fact it's clear he did not know her preference for not wishing to disclose this information, that THO will give him a reprieve and not unleash a wicked spell from Elminster upon him. Call me crazy, but as friendly and charming as she's been throughout these 17 pages, I think I'll make this wild hunch.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 27 Mar 2004 21:28:33
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  21:51:56  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
You're right Sirius; I just know how tired I'd get answering the same question over and over again

I didn't think to e-mail Alaundo...

Hmmm...I guess I hadn't realized how many pages this thread was; but I'm a fast reader and I've reread it from the beginning at least twice in order to not miss any of Ed's or our Lady's pearls of wisdom!...

thom
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  22:17:21  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
Re: My question wasn't answered ...

I would council patience. The guy has other things to do besides field our questions. :)

- Simon

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  22:52:59  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thom

You're right Sirius; I just know how tired I'd get answering the same question over and over again

I didn't think to e-mail Alaundo...

Hmmm...I guess I hadn't realized how many pages this thread was; but I'm a fast reader and I've reread it from the beginning at least twice in order to not miss any of Ed's or our Lady's pearls of wisdom!...

thom

:) Well I can't tell you the countless times I've answered the same questions over and over again on the WOTC boards, in the past two years I have been posting on them. Yes it does get a bit annoying, but it doesn't do to yell at the poster for asking some thing that he might not have known. This isn't an attack on you, cause believe me, I've had my share of debates with people that really bug me. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  23:07:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. The Hooded One here.
Yes, Bruce, I have real-world reasons for not confirming who I am, or my character is (which will allow someone to easily figure out who I am).
digitalelf, your Red Knight query has been passed on to Ed, who will reply as soon as he can.
Silas, Ed fired back a barrage of questions about YOUR question, which go like this:

Sorry, to do a half-decent job of answering this, I need to know more. How many players? What level characters at start? What classes of characters? What SORT of adventures preferred (hack’n’slash, endless dungeon crawl, intrigue, other)? What setting(s) preferred (urban, wilderness, Underdark, desert, arctic, tamed countryside, underwater, seaborne, piracy/evil power group)? What races of characters (monster races? Mix? The usual human-dominated with a few demihumans?)? Stay in the Realms, or planehopping? What do your players want (or don’t you or they know yet; i.e. do you want to serve up a variety of things to try, or settle in on an existing favourite style or setting or direction)?
Will you be using commercial adventures/modules/DUNGEON magazine, or mix-n-match, or crafting your own challenges entirely? How much DM design time can you devote to this campaign, and how long do you want it to last (real-world time)?

So asketh Ed. For the record, putting on my editor’s hat (or corset :}), I agree with him; he needs these design decisions made by you before he can give you a proper answer. So write back soon. :]
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  00:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

*chuckles*

taxs?

Next time Elminster drops by get him to bring a Cleric of Waukeen with him, if you let him do your taxs the Goverment will end up OWING YOU money

Got a Question

Has Manshoon replaced Orlgaun the Dragon Mount which he lost in Spellfire? and if so with what?

Hooded one did you pass on my question about Manshoon to Ed?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  03:29:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo, all. Your Hooded Lady back again, with my own reply to Bruce and SiriusBlack: no, this mud-wrestling wasn’t any sort of sexual fun thing.
It began as a misunderstanding, in which Jhaele thought I’d stolen a key left in her care, and was racing off to use it to unlock a coffer hidden in a particular chamber in the Twisted Tower.
The truth was that a Zhent agent staying at the Old Skull had already stolen the key and gone to the Tower to try to use it, but been intercepted by Shaerl, who knew her of old (and had no idea she was now working for the Zhents). Shaerl had invited her to dinner, and the Zhent was trapped into dining, but awaiting a chance to slip away (or get invited to spend the night as a guest at the Tower).
A Harper mage who’d met us at the Old Skull and revealed the woman’s Zhent loyalties had by spell communicated with a (very low level) War Wizard who was also visiting the Tower (as a part of a Cormyrean delegation bringing private Rowanmantle business matters to Shaerl, not affairs of state) to learn about the dinner and the whereabouts of the Zhent agent.
After some swift conflab, my character was given a false key and told to get it to the War Wizard and help him temporarily ‘sleep’ or somehow bewilder the agent so we could switch keys (the false replacement had been personally made by the Harper mage, and so was a ‘familiar object’ if he wanted to trace its whereabouts and movements with a spell).
Jhaele thought my character was stealing her key, and came out the back door of the inn like a tigress to pounce on “me,” downing me right in the muddiest part of the stableyard. I was in a hurry and didn’t want to be stopped, so a brief wrestling match ensued (Rathan and Torm OF COURSE came to the back door to make bets and dispense smart comments). I’ve always found that temporarily blinding people with their own clothing AND removing their footwear tends to make them slow to pursue, and tried to do this to Jhaele -- and she was bound and determined not to let the “thief” get away.
In the end, not wanting to hurt her, I appealed rather profanely to Torm to ‘deal with her,’ and he, well, being the outrageously irrepressible imp that he is, decided that this would be his best ever chance to er, become intimate with the half-naked, slick-with-mud, and furious Jhaele (who was quite sharp-tongued in rejecting his endless teasing advances), and joined in.
I left them wrestling and sprinted for the Tower, deciding to just plunge into Elminster’s Pool on the way and so clean off the worst of the muck.
Jhaele brained Torm in a few seconds flat and came running right after me -- and it was the Old Mage himself who rescued me.
It seems Elminster was floating on his back in his pool, bathing, when I came crashing through it. He sat up in startled anger just in time to become an obstacle that Jhaele was running too fast to avoid.
There then occurred what Ed described variously as a “meaty thwack” and a “splat,” and . . . Jhaele was no longer chasing me. :}
Considering the reputation I’m already giving myself in this forum, can you see why I neglected to tell this entire tale the first time around? :}
By the way, Ed has always injected this farcial element into play. It doesn’t dominate play the way it must seem to when I’m just relating these ‘highlight’ stories, but he sneaks it in whenever we get too upset about bad things happening or puffed up over our successes, as a reminder that no matter how high and mighty the Knights or anyone else in the Realms becomes, we’re all just a pratfall away from our own humanity. :}
(That’s an Ed-quote, too: “We’re all just a pratfall away from our own humanity.” Just another of the reasons I love and respect him so much.)

And to Bruce, thom, and SiriusBlack (well put, sir): it’s okay, I don’t mind explaining over and over why I’m being mysterious about my identity. Really. I don’t get upset about it (and really wish I COULD level with you all). But being as I’m stuck with it, there IS this tiny little thrill that goes with it -- as in: I’m sitting typing this entirely nude . . . EXCEPT for my full-head iron mask that conceals my identity completely, so I could be your co-worker, lady boss, that nice lady at the bank, one of your teachers, or that lady who stared at you on the street, just for a moment, a week ago, or . . . any female at all, in fact. Whoo-hoo. :}
But enough teasing. To avoid that weird formatting problem (it creeps back for me from time to time, so just in case I’m not the only one), I’ll end this post now and come right back with Ed’s latest.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  03:33:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo again. Your Hooded Lady, bringing the words of Ed:

Hi, SiriusBlack. The Srinshee plans aren’t mine, but have come to involve me. (There. That ought to be cryptic enough. :}) Sorry, but I can’t say more at this time.

digitalelf, typical offerings on the altar of Red Knight are coins won in wagering over games of skill (such as lanceboard) but never in ‘games of chance,’ and [the greatest possible offerings of all, if the games themselves are well-designed] new strategy games (board, pieces, and rules) personally devised by the worshipper.
If given in a temple, these always vanish from the altar (taken by the clergy of the temple, of course). If offered in private, in the open or at a shrine, such offerings are to buried with a symbol of the goddess (a crude horsehead chesspiece design scratched into a piece of bark or onto a stone will suffice, if nothing better can be had), in earth into which a single drop (or more) of the worshipper’s blood has been spilled.
It is sinful to the goddess for the same worshipper to unearth such things and re-use them as offerings, or for other faithful of the Red Knight to knowingly use the previously-used offerings of another in their own prayers to the goddess, but it’s quite acceptable to use them in other ways (spend the coins, and play, sell, give away, or bet on the games).
Note that devout faithful of the Red Knight often have scores of red horse-headed lanceboard pieces made for them to carry, and use in just such situations. If non-clerical worshippers of the Red Knight are travelling with a priest of the Lady of Strategy and make prayers to the goddess, it IS acceptable for the priest to collect and carry along all such offerings, to turn them over to a temple of the goddess at the first opportunity. If this becomes impossible, such ‘sacred goods’ are to be buried if this can be managed.
Typical prayers to the Red Knight are whispered pleas for insight into the thinking of foes when planning strategies against them, and requests for inspiration (and a true follower of Red Knight believes that all tactical thinking or dreams of battles and battle-strategies are bestowed by the Red Knight, and will thank her for her aid: in other words, a devout worshipper of Red Knight NEVER takes credit for brilliant strategies or tactics, believeing they have all come from the goddess).
When a devout follower suffers defeat, overlooks some stratagem of an opponent, or is outwitted, they typically make offering to the goddess by procuring a shard of good-quality battle armor, gashing themselves with it, and leaving the bloodied metal on the altar with a prayer, not binding their wound or seeking healing for it until their prayers are complete. Many worshippers of the Red Knight take good armor from opponents they’ve personally felled and shatter it, so as to have a ready supply of such shards awaiting times of failure, in order to properly ‘square their standing’ with the Lady of Strategy.
Great victories are also celebrated on an altar of Red Knight by placing trophies of the defeated foes on it, with prayer (weapons, armor, and even blood and body parts). If no altar is handy, the prayer may be offered literally ON the body or trophy of the fallen, on the battlefield or place of death.

Prayers to the Red Knight often begin “Oh, Lady of clear calm” or “Great Lady of Armor Blood-Red” and the goddess betimes gives long-worshipping individuals a secret name by which they can call her (imparted in dreams, these names are different for every individual, and are NOT thought to be even echoes of her true name, but rather a personal token or ‘pet-name’ symbolizing her favour of the devotions of the individual; typical examples are: “Divine Arlanna” and “Divine Elmrara”).

Formal priestly prayers often include the lines “Lady whose armor is drenched in blood for us” and “Armor blooded to remind us of our faults and defeats, but eyes bright to make us mindful ever of unquenchable spirit and battlemastery of fields to come.”

Battle-oaths to the Red Knight (given when smiting foes or launching an attack) include these:
“Bright wit, clear thought, keen sight!”
“Forward the Game Undying!”
“Let this game now be ended!”
“Smite smart!”

Obscenities uttered by faithful of the Red Knight when personally upset include these:
“Alavaerthus!” (equivalent of “G*d-damn-it!” or “Jesus f*cking Christ!” [this word, pronounced “Alah-VAER-thus,” was the name of a member of the Fellowship who had a large hand in founding the church of Red Knight, but went mad in a battle and sent his forces to their dooms through a series of stupid or reckless commands; “playing Alavaerthus” is an informal Fellowship expression meaning to ‘totally screw up’)
“Blood of the Lady!” (equivalent of “Oh my [insert strongest personal obscenities here] G*d!” [used as a stronger replacement for “Alavaerthus!”)
“Checkmate!” (formal, usable-in-polite-company equivalent of “Damn!” or “Sh*t!” or “Blast!” [invoking the name of the Lady’s blade])
“Keltor!” (equivalent of “Damn!” and pronounced as “KEL-tor” [spat out swiftly])
“Teskyre!” (equivalent of “Sh*t!” and pronounced as “Tess-kEYE-ur”)
“Witless!” (equivalent of “F*ck!” [the strongest personal oath of a faithful of the Red Knight alludes to stupidity in strategy or tactics])

So saith Ed. Hmm; almost all of this is new to me, and goes straight into my Realms notes. By the way, Ed recently gave a public reading of ‘A Small Sort of Dragon’ from ELMINSTER IN HELL for a library charity fundraising event, and reportedly wowed an audience of non-fantasy-reading, non-gaming seniors (largely because he did what he always does: put on voices for the various characters and ACTED his way through the scene). I miss the author reading sessions from the old GenCons, which were always lots of fun.
Yes, Dargoth, I’ve passed your dragon mount query on; poor old Ed is just up to his eyeballs in Waterdeep and is taking longer to reply. He’ll get back to me ASAP, I promise.
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  03:44:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Hi, SiriusBlack. The Srinshee plans aren’t mine, but have come to involve me. (There. That ought to be cryptic enough. :}) Sorry, but I can’t say more at this time.

Understood. If I was one to speculate, I'd dare say that perhaps Richard Baker consulted a few people including Ed before or during the writing of an upcoming novel series.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4747 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  03:46:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Greetings Ed. And a most hearty hello to the Hooded One. Nice to chat out "in the open". Saves me having to pass on answers to realmslore queries, if they get posted here straight away!

Seeing how details re faiths are coming up with some brilliant FR enhancing tidbits, I'm wondering what Ed has for us on the Triad - Tyr, Torm and Ilmater. I'm hoping to add some stuff to my Impiltur musings.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  05:24:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, all. The Hooded One posting a reply from Ed once more:

Hi, Dargoth. As you know, there have been several Manshoons since the ‘one’ who appeared in SPELLFIRE. Yes, Orlgaun has been replaced several times by various Manshoons (with various dragons, war bats, and the like; one of the Manshoon clones perished while trying to tame a hellfire wyrm to do his bidding). One of the Manshoons surviving today uses a magically-bound ‘very old’ black dragon by the name of Hauthendrammagarh. It formerly laired in a vast marsh on another continent of Toril. This same Manshoon is said to have trapped various lesser black dragons in stasis, and hidden them in caverns, so he can replace his steed with a dragon of inferior powers at short notice, or even unleash a flight of black dragons under his command (in fact, the threat of doing so is one of the weapons that has kept Fzoul from destroying this Manshoon, who also demonstrated his ability to cause magical explosions over great distances -- blasts that slew several beholders and priests of Bane).

To Bruce Donohue: in your calendar example, Ches is the month, and “Ches 23” is indeed the 23rd day of Ches. “Ches of the Sunsets” is the poetic name for this month. An earlier month (Alturiak, now rendered “The Claw of Winter”) once had the poetic name “The Claws of the Cold,” and later scribes mistranslated ellipses in the names of several of the subsequent months of the calendar to mean “The Claws of the X” instead of just “of the X,” but this misnaming has ‘stuck.’
The Realms equivalents of weeks are ten days long, hence “tenday” (also known as “rides” and by several less popular names), but I’ll leave the rest of the explanation for another time; must run now and get this novel done.

So saith Ed. This Hooded Lady recalls that Fleetswake is a later addition; could any of the scholars perusing this (George Krashos? AJA?) step in and answer Bruce? And a hearty hello back to you, Mr. Krashos! Ed regards you, Eric, Steven, Grant, Tom, and Bryon as his Merrie Masters of Realmslore, and says you’re always welcome!
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  06:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Thanks Ed

If you where to restat Manshoon for 3.5 would you give him levels of the Zhentrim Skymage PrC in Lords of Darkness or would you just give him the Dragon Cohort Feat from Draconomicon?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  06:16:08  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
oops double post

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 28 Mar 2004 19:09:22
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  06:20:47  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Well since this is an FR in theme, I would like to take this opportunity to do my best Realmsian version of an apology and thank you.

Lady The Hooded One (please picture this in an Irish drawl with possibly Moonshae inflections), it does indeed bestill my heart to know that faith in humanity and its kindness thus prevails unto this very day.

Knowing that jests with the movitive joy and spreding of humour are indeed still appreciated. Yes, though I may be but a man and flawed like many a woman says our gendre may be; I do take full responsibility that being a lover of intrigues and a good mystery that I sometimes tend to pursue the matter at a two steps pace indeed when one shall suffice.

Thank you for your generosity, your kind heart, in accepting my humblest of apologies. I hereby appreciate all the more, the desire to remain an enigma to all, and shall enjoy further musings and examples, of how your silver tongued spirit shall spin more tails to peek our curiosity, our interest, and above all for the foundness of sharing with thee Lady, admist this forum your humble future company.

Aye, back to reality now, I think I am still recovering from Saint Patty's somehow. Ah, got to love Celtic roots and being Irish. Heehee

Glad, I didn't offend you THO, and to all on the site, yes I do like a good mystery. So since you all do not yet know my personality, I tend to sometimes think that THO was indeed just being coy, and playful, yet I fully understand the situation now. I will enjoy further discussions with THO and you all without having to ask the question once more.

Cheers!

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

digitalelf
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  06:25:16  Show Profile  Visit digitalelf's Homepage Send digitalelf a Private Message
Wow!

Simply amazing... Ed's response to my question goes above and beyond the call

Hooded One, you simply must inform "He of the Greenwood" of my greatest heartfelt thanks.

Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  07:00:10  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message
Just a couple of questions for Ed from the new guy:

1) Who chose what establishments were included in the City of Ravens Bluff guidebook? As one of the contributors to that RPGA project so long ago, I've always wondered why the one I would have never expected was used and the others left out.

2) This is a campaign idea that I've had niggling around the back of my head for some time, and I'd like your opinion. What would be the reaction of the Battledarrans to a private Sembian enterprise to reclaim the Ghost Holds south of Essembra? Meaning - the entrepreneurs locate a likely prospect, send in adventurers (the PCs) to clear the holds/houses of pests both human and monstrous, then move in with their crews to repair the place and offer it up for sale to nobles from Cormyr, rich Sembians, and retired adventurers from wherever. Also, what would be the procedures for claiming said property? Would they just say "This is now ours", or would there be fees and the like to be paid to the War Chancellor?

Oh, and Ed? The inscription Elminster left in my Forgotten Realms Adventures book some fifteen years ago? Tell him I haven't made it there yet, but I'm still working on it, and he'll be the first one I look up once I get there.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4747 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  07:19:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Bruce wrote:

quote:

I have a question for Ed in regards to the calander example:

Chess 23 (The Claws of the Sunsets) Third Tenday Fleetswake 3

Ok now Chess if I am not mistaken is the month, so what does 23 in this instance stand for?

Claws of the Sunset refers to the midwinter holiday right?

Third Tenday would that mean the week?

Fleestwake the day in the week?

and finally what does the 3 stand for?

If I was to go a month back when wouldhave been the full moon considering the above is the half-moon.

How would one calculate when the new moon and full moons appear?

Following on from Ed's response, look in the FR Campaign Setting Boxed Set (either 1E or 2E) for a clear listing of the names of the months. As Ed said, Ches is not "the Claws of the Sunsets" but Ches of the Sunsets. Tenday 3 would indicate the third (and last) tenday of the month (although I wouldn't think many Realmsians would refer to it as such) and Fleetswake 3 would refer to the third day of the Fleetwake Festival. This festival is held in Waterdeep and detailed in Steven Schend's "Realms by Night: The Cache Dwellers" piece which should still be archived on the WotC FR website.

The Midwinter Festival is held after the month of Hammer (Deepwinter/January) and has nothing to do with Ches. The Ol' Grey Box notes this about Midwinter: "Midwinter is known officially as the High Festival of Winter. It is a feast where, traditionally, the lords of the land plan the year ahead, make and renew alliances, and send gifts of goodwill. To the commonfolk, this is Deepwinter Day, the midpoint of the worst of the cold."

As for calculating moons etc. I'd suggest picking up an almanac and translating the moon phases of a year in the real world to the FR calendar.

Hope this helps.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29727 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  09:37:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
'Allo again, O Lady of the Hood and Sage Greenwood!

Two questions:

Ed, can you tell us anything about dragons that live in or near Waterdeep, or is that one of those areas you can't go into?

Also, while reading Fritz Leiber's "The Seven Black Priests" earlier tonight, I found myself wondering about seismic activity in the Realms. Other than the eruption of the Ship of the Gods (and that was triggered by Iakhovas), I'm not recalling reading about any earthquakes or volcanic eruptions or anything like that...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  19:20:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo again, all. Your Hooded One again, posting for Ed:

Hi, everyone. Dargoth, asking me 3.5 rules questions is like asking them of your mailman (whom I’m assuming DOESN’T play “crazy satanic D-and-D” :}). I’d tend to give Manshoon the Dragon Cohort feat because he doesn’t use aerial steeds of any sort all that often, and can’t be said to be a truly skilled rider -- but on the other hand, he can cast spells from dragonback all right, so . . . your call. Any opinions, scribes?

George! HI! Well met again, and all that! Stuff on the Triad coming up . . . doled out slowly, when I can snatch the time around this novel. And thanks for the catch, finishing the calendar reply for me (I had to go, as my ISP kept crashing and it was getting VERY late, and I’d promised myself I’d have certain scenes done to send to Elaine).

digitalelf, you’re very welcome. I’m always happy to help, and have discussed doing these oaths with WotC: owing to the subject matter (and the inclusion of real-world naughty words, albeit with asterisks), it’s something they’d never publish, so they’re okay with it appearing here. To everyone: PLEASE take it easy with the flood of “do MY god next!” requests, because I do still seem to require a few hours of sleep every night, and my deadlines are racing up to meet me as it is.

To TheHermit, I’m glad you can READ the inscription I wrote, all those years ago. :} Keep at it!
John Rateliff was my editor on City of Ravens Bluff, which came out a year after I wrote it and had to updated (by him, presumably) to match the unfolding events of the RPGA Living City campaign during that time. What I was given for the project was a huge pile of cryptic, disorganized lore (over a thousand pages of photocopies from POLY and sometimes handwritten notes) and that splendid computer-generated map of the city with key numbers on certain buildings . . . and NOTHING to go with them (no key at all). :}
I compiled a list of “need answers to these questions” and received back from the RPGA: no answers beyond “dunno; just make it up.”
There were endless shops to include from POLY (and no idea which one was located where, in most cases), some but not all of the orders of knighthood were done, and there were some big gaps -- such as: how did the nobility work, how did guilds work and details of all the “missing” ones, how the city fed itself and who owned the surrounding lands, which had been auctioned off to players in a process I had utterly no notes for (!), how did the harbor function, yadda yadda yadda boo yadda.
I had some pet things I wanted to include (like the “walkthrough” chapter and the longterm-campaign-intrigue-producing nobles) to make the city come alive for RPGA members and non-RPGA buyers of the guidebook alike, and secrets about the RPGA campaign that I was duty-bound not to give away.
So I sat down and started typing furiously, adapting and truncating and creating at a furious pace to meet my deadline -- and ending up furious that I had to do it all in such a breakneck whirl when it turned out editing wouldn’t even begin for another 6 months! I could have USED those months to write and refine. I also had no involvement after handing it in, so rather than give-and-take in the editing, it was: open the published book and discover what got changed. Not good. So I’m surprised that what you touch on (“I've always wondered why the one I would have never expected was used and the others left out”) didn’t happen more than it did. It was my understanding, when the project began, that the guidebook would be a free handout for all (paying, at that time) RPGA members -- but what I was trying for, by the end of the project, was a city guidebook that anyone could use in any campaign for a rather wacky fantasy city (filing off the silliest names and concepts if not to one’s liking).
Regarding your campaign idea: a great one. It’s happening in the ‘home’ Realms campaign, as it happens. :} The reaction of the folk of Essembra (so long as no Sembian tried to muscle any of them out of THEIR farmland, or stop them woodcutting) would be shrugs from some, “ooh, let’s watch the fun” from others, and enthusiasm from the rest. They WANT the Ghost Holds scoured of bandits and undead, and look forward to the coins folk living there might spend locally (although like most Dalefolk, they expect “those haughty, do-anything-to-swindle-you-out-of-a-copper-bit” Sembians to have as little to do with locals as possible). There’d be no fees for taking the properties: “this is ours now” would more or less be what happened. Essembra doesn’t tax landholders, either, only transaction licenses and fees on sales of livestock, so the Sembians wouldn’t encounter any local “harassment” beyond the occasional armed patrol to “see what they’re up to” during construction (if they try to slay or run off the patrols, yes, there would then be a problem, because word would spread, and local adventurers would be quietly told it was okay to regard the newcomers as “brigands to be put down or run off”).
If any newcomers (the Sembians or persons they sold various of the holds to) try to set up their own laws, rules, taxes, or armed patrols (beyond their own boundaries -- and note that determining those boundaries is apt to involve some friction), and defy the word out of Essembra, yes, then there WOULD be trouble, and you’d see envoys from all over the Dales arriving with armed escorts (hired adventurers and/or local armsmen) to “explain” local governance to the newcomers.
All in all, this could be a great campaign focus. Buyers of the holds would of course include agents of Hillsfar, the Zhents, the Cult of the Dragon, various Sembian cabals and ‘shady business’ individuals wanting to dwell outside the easy reach of Sembian authorities, outlaws (including adventuring bands) bringing ill-gotten gains well away from Cormyr, Westgate, or wherever, and so on.
I’m chuckling just at the possibilities. Have fun!

Wooly Rupert, a glance at the DRAGON ANNUAL map of the domains claimed by my various Wyrms of the North will show you that quite a few of them “claim” Waterdeep, and one of my favourite wyrms watches over a particular Waterdhavian noble family ‘through’ mirrors, but owing to various plans for the Year of Rogue Dragons (what might happen to various dragons has been discussed, in confidence), I can say no more at this time.
About seismic activity in the Realms: SHHHH! Holy Mystra, man, don’t you realize WotC editors read this forum?
By Her Sacred Silver Tears, don’t give them any MORE ideas for RSEs! I’ve spent years building this world, and am getting more than tired of seeing bits of it torn down! :} Couldn’t you bring up the pronounced lack of scenes of characters reading books, or playing games, instead? Tiddleywinks, even? :}

So saith Ed. And Bruce, your VERY handsome apology is lovingly accepted. (dimples, blows kiss, strikes languid pose) :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  21:53:41  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

Can you give us any info on Nimbral, Nelanther, and Lantan?

Customs, NPC's, ships, inns, taverns, temples, tales and history, etc. :)

I realize that might be a lot of info but those nations have been sparse in coverage. I know there is some info about Nelanther in Lands of Intrigue but more text on them would be wonderful. :)

I'm most interested in more info about Nelanther, since I have a PC from there and he's found a spelljamming ship and he's thinking of getting into the pirate business. Both on sea, air, and in space....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Mar 2004 21:57:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000