Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30225 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  17:58:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thom

Lady Hooded One, I've got a Paladin, a Monk AND a Sorcer who all worship Lathander! I'm wondering, can you (or Ed) remember any of the more common oaths in Lathander's name that PCs might utter? I want to give my PCs a short list to help them get more 'in character' - especially the paladin; she's a new player who's very excited about being a paladin!
thom

I could use the same thing, meself. I'm working on a short story that involves a bunch of Lathander worshippers in Myth Drannor... Only one of the main characters is a priest, but this info could still come in handy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  21:23:05  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Thank you Good Lady

re books: righty-o, well I can wait till Ed comes over for battlemasters and gencon UK to get him to sign a few books for me

re Doust and Islif: *shush* we promised NOT to mention I was Ed, crikey giving away all my campaign secrets....... (joking folks, honest ) so it appears that the knights are returning home to roost so to speak with Jelde already there.
Can I ask? did all the 'original' Knights come from Espar? i seem to recall that Florin, Semoor, Doust Islif and Jhessail did but I would be interested in knowing about the others (I know that Torm and Rathan joined later as did Sharantyr - but no idea about Lanseril and Merith - and I know Illistyl is from Shadowdale)

Thanks THO

best wishes

Damian
p.s. consider yourself invited to battlemasters and GCUK as well! (in fact if Ed wants a day off and you can get the other knights there then I don't mind stepping into the big fella's shoes.... LOL)

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Damian, I’ll get a proper reply from Ed later, but I can take care of three of your questions right away.
No UK leg of the book tour this time, sorry (believe me, Ed LOVES to be in England whenever he can get the chance; his wife Jenny is from Surrey).

What you did in your campaign is EXACTLY what happened in ours: Doust and Islif relocated from Arabel to get away from all the bloodshed and politics. :}
More from Ed later.
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  22:07:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Crikey, you have just reminded me of the Lathanderite church in Myth Drannor from the RoMD box set - IIRC it wasn't noted on the map where it was situated - does anyone know if it was it was ever erratad (is that a word?? ) or just left out for the DM to place as they wish?

Good Lady, apart from the Knights and these Lathanderites, did any other good groups/churches ever try to 'tame' Myth Drannor and/or fight against the Banite led hellish invasion? and if so, was there any collusion between the groups to try to make it work or did you all just work alone because you couldn't agree on tactics and goals? (e.g. the tyrian paladins got fed up with the tymorian clerics etc)

Also did the Law vs Chaos conflict ever appear in the game? in most games its normally good vs evil - going back to my previous post about Arabel, the civil war (partly) came about because the Tymorians of Arabel and the Tormites of High Horn/Eagles Peak disagreed how Cormyr should be ruled after Azoun's death (I wanted to highlight this (in my general experience) unused aspect of strife and conflict between Law and Chaos and provide moral issues to my players about who is 'good/in the right' in this), oh and Eveningstar was about half way between them (geographically) and that's just where the players happened to be.....

thanks

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[quote]Originally posted by thom

I could use the same thing, meself. I'm working on a short story that involves a bunch of Lathander worshippers in Myth Drannor... Only one of the main characters is a priest, but this info could still come in handy.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  22:33:15  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Crikey, you have just reminded me of the Lathanderite church in Myth Drannor from the RoMD box set - IIRC it wasn't noted on the map where it was situated - does anyone know if it was it was ever erratad (is that a word?? ) or just left out for the DM to place as they wish?

Wooly and I went over this a few weeks back. :) This is what we figured out.

Also according to Candlekeep's Errata entry it says this:

11. Ruins of Myth Drannor

courtesy Sascha Kriewel < sascha.kriewel@home.ins.de >

The temple of Lathander wasn't marked on the maps, nor does the book give a clear location. Semi-official suggestion from 'The Sage': place the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen.

The Sage said in Dragon #208 in the Sage Advice column:

Where within Myth Drannor is The Dawnspire (the temple of Lathander)? I've looked through the book twice and I can't find a clue. I know the site is supposed to cover about five acres, but there's no scale on the map. Is that an oversight?

TSR's Karen Boomgarden and I also spent a great deal of time poring over the book and the Myth Drannor maps trying to find the answer to this one. (The floor in Karen's cubical is just about large enough to accommodate all the maps at once. An onlooker would have had a grand time watching the two of us trying to study the maps without soiling or tearing them with our shoes.) Karen and I suggest placing the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen (see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, page 15.)

There isn't supposed to be a scale printed on the maps. Myth Drannor's Mythal, see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor
pages 22-31) and the corrupting influences of all the gates and wild magic make all distances within the ruins distorted and variable.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  00:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
As I gave Ed a short one last time I figure I owe him a long one this time

Have you ever given names to "Bibles" of the various religions of the Realms

Thanks to RAS (Cleric Quintet series) we know the Bible for Deneirs church is the "Tome of Universal Harmony"

Do other churches have Bibles and if so what are they called?

and what do they look like/Made of?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 24 Mar 2004 00:04:13
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  00:10:24  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As I gave Ed a short one last time I figure I owe him a long one this time

Have you ever given names to "Bibles" of the various religions of the Realms

Thanks to RAS (Cleric Quintet series) we know the Bible for Deneirs church is the "Tome of Universal Harmony"

Do other churches have Bibles and if so what are they called?

and what do they look like/Made of?

Some of these were sort of in Prayer's of the Faithful. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Figgas
Acolyte

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  02:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Figgas's Homepage Send Figgas a Private Message
I recently read that Salvatore will be doing some Everquest novels, will Ed be writing one?

http://sonyonline.com/corp/press_releases/031504_EQ_Novels.html

theres the URL

"There is life and there is death, and in between there are The Doors" -Jim Morrison
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  02:55:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed apologizes for the delays in replying; a family emergency ate up his Tuesday. However, to paraphrase Charlie Brown: “The Sage Is In.” Hearken, all, to ye words of Ed:

Well met again, Lashan. Hmm, I know there are some things I should be telling you about Tantras, but the only things that spring to mind right now are these:

There’s a tangle of wreckage in the ‘deep hole’ at the center of the harbor (a small shaft or pit that plunges about sixty feet deeper than the surrounding harbor bottom) that’s full of the tangled wreckage of two merchant ships who unintentionally rammed each other one stormy night. There are the usual rumors of valuable cargo and even more valuable contraband sunken and presumably there for the taking -- but there’s also DEFINITELY something unfriendly down there, that causes creatures who explore the ‘deep hole’ to simply vanish. The harbor bottom is clay, and swirling mud obscures all vision near it (including the entire ‘deep hole’).

The favored drink in Tantras is a ‘red and blue.’ This potent tipple is made by mixing the “blue wine” made locally (a thin, sour wine whose only claim to respectability is its glorious, almost glowing ‘royal blue’ color, derived from the sour local wild grapes) with the best ‘red brandies’ concocted in Saerloon and Selgaunt. Drinking two red and blues in rapid succession leaves most people reeling drunk and causes others to pass out, but it has one useful documented effect: in humans and demi-humans, it deadens ALL pain and nausea for about 3 rounds (useful when performing amputations and other ‘brutal surgery’). Repeated exposure to this beverage causes individuals to soon loose this benefit (at different rates for each being). A red and blue has a rich sweet-and-sour taste that some folk swear by -- and a few swear at.

A ‘baeranth’ is the most popular everyday evening meal dish for Tantrans. The word means other things elsewhere, but in the City of Torm it refers to a meat pie or tart baked golden-brown and with a peppery gravy inside. The smoked meat of beef, goat, and hogs are minced in a 3-1-1 proportion to make a ‘real’ baeranth, but there are the inevitable tales of dogs and even humans going missing and winding up in baeranths.
“Sarkul” or smoked fish are also popular in Tantras (caught in the Reach, beheaded, immersed in honey and seasonings, and then hung and smoked for several days in closed sheds, but fish are NEVER put in a baeranth (in Tantras, for some unknown reason, the very idea of fish pies is considered sick and revolting).
Baeranths vary in price from 1 sp for six to 2 cp each, depending on size, reputation of the shop, and freshness, and are always sold hot. They can be bought from about highsun (midday) to dusk, from dozens of serving-shutter-on-the-street-wall shops with names like Karvin’s and Thurnan’s Oven and The Meltmouth.
Tantras has many taverns, but few dining-halls or anything approaching what we would call a restaurant. Its inns typically serve warm mulled cider and cold ale, plus buttered bread (a very dark, rich nutbread akin to our real-world pumpernickel), up to the rooms of guests, and lack dining rooms or taprooms. The taverns of Tantras serve the usual drinks and ‘hot buns’ covered with melted cheese (some taverns putting sliced olives or slices of sausage on the cheese so they’ll stick, to make their buns distinctive and popular), but little other food.
Tantras does have lots of fresh fish and eel shops and stands, and its streets often reek of cooking fish in early evening.

Tantras is known for having good ropemakers and netmakers. A typical shop is owned by a master or masters, who employ six to eight skilled workers and a handful of apprentices, to ‘weave’ the ropes or nets by hand. A small array of fairly standard wares (40-foot-coil of waxed line, 1 gp; 26-foot-coil of light cord, 4 sp; 50-foot-coil of rope, 1 gp; 50-foot-coil of heavy rope, 4 gp; 75-foot-coil of rope, 5 gp; 100-foot-coil of rope, 12 gp; 100-foot ship’s hawser/mooring cable, 150 gp [overpriced because these items, of which at least 2 will always be available, will only be bought from ‘ready stock’ in an emergency) will be hanging and ready for sale, and everything else will have to be ordered, with a tenday or longer wait.

There are also a few skilled brass founders (casters) in Tantras, who make small, simple household wares (bells, lantern cages, candlestick bases, handles, catches, simple bowls and trays, pouring spouts/funnels, hooks, and the like). The best is probably Teth Rundlelor of Bauntaman Lane, but Adluth’s Fine Hooks and Castings on Varmor Street and the cavernous secondhand warehouse Oddlings on Roardragon Way are also good sources.

The wildest festhall in Tantras, Warm Wondra’s, is also on Roardragon Way (the main street running along the southern edge of the docks), and it truly is a festhall: nightly shows are held there from dusk until dawn, beginning with contortionists, comedians, jugglers, and players who perform short bawdy works, and progressing through minstrels who put on rousing sequences of drinking and ‘slay the dragon’ songs, to a farce play involving maidens who get disrobed by monsters or villains (the audience is encouraged to boo, hiss, cheer, and even help deliver lines if they buy drinks for the actors), and finally to out-and-out exotic dancing and sex-for-coin activity (all of which is legal; the masked, cudgel-wielding Watch of Tantras are there -- just as they are on their frequent street, dockside, and tavern patrols -- to keep order, arresting persons who draw steel, wound others, or start fires, and ejecting the unruly onto the street).

And that should be enough to get you going. There’s something niggling in the back of my mind about someone who was walled up in the city walls and is now trapped there, undead and able only to clutch and whisper, but the notes for that are [gulp] in my basement and will have to wait until May or even later (post-Waterdeep, post-taxes, and perhaps post-publicity tour).

So saith Ed. We Knights hit Tantras only once: at night, in a SOAKING rain. We waded along (some of the streets become streams emptying down into the harbor during a real cloudburst, and this was an all-night real cloudburst :}) , wet to our knees, and were challenged by an equally soggy Watch patrol. Jhessail sourly told them she was the Queen of Waterdeep, and they then tried to arrest her, and Florin started picking them up and tossing them into the harbor. One managed to ring his alarm-gong (oh, yes, they use gongs and not horns in Tantras, and bloody noisy three-rattling-cup affairs they are, too) and summon another patrol, so Florin sent them swimming, too -- whereupon the madam of a nearby festhall offered us shelter if we’d just stop throwing her best clients to possible deaths by drowning, please!
So we spent a cozy night in a festhall, trading stories [and NOTHING ELSE] with the working girls -- and left the next morning hidden under their dirty laundry, on the cart that took ‘the dirties’ out of the city to the stinking laundry just south of it. From there, we went on our way. I don’t THINK any of the Watch drowned, but we never went back to check. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  03:18:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
thom and Wooly Rupert, I can remember one Lathanderite oath off the top of my head:
"Redblood!" (used about the same as some Brits use "Bloody!" and some Americans say, "Damn it!" or "S**t!")
I'll pass this to Ed so he doesn't publicate, when we get a reply from my Master, himself. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  04:23:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, all. Ed has found time to spin more replies:

First of all, to all of you who’ve showered me with thanks: hey, you’re all VERY welcome. Thank YOU. It gladdens my heart to do this, believe me. Writing is an essentially lonely process, and it’s like walking down the street getting waves and smiles whenever I need to. :}

Damian: Yes, the attacks on Arabel (see BEYOND THE HIGH ROAD and DEATH OF THE DRAGON for some that still lie in the future for the Knights) and rebellions in Arabel were the last straw for Doust and Islif (particularly when some traitors to the Crown revealed themselves in the temple!) and they relocated back to Eveningstar. BTW, Islif definitely ‘wears the pants’ in the Doust/Islif marriage and, these days, in the temple as well! Locally, she’s as respected a war-leader as Alusair (in some quarters, moreso, because no one can imagine Islif bedding a young noble or breaking any law or rule, whereas the princess makes her own rules, and some farmwives view their handsome sons as in dire peril whenever she’s in the vicinity). Someday I’ll write a short story describing an epic sword-practise duel between Islif and Tessaril Winter.
As for Jhaele, she continues to be the brisk, motherly, hair-now-shorn-off-short so she can wash it in a water-butt in a trice because she’s SO busy central character of Shadowdale, in the same way that a really good publican (and aren’t THEY scarce, these days?) is the social centre of a small British village. She’s also fiercely interested in the women of the village ‘making good’ (especially when their husbands have been killed in the various Zhent attacks on the dale, or are wounded or gravely ill, or are drunkards) and invests in a lot of local craft-businesses (women weaving warm clothes or making cloaks, leggings, drinking-gourds, or belts, for instance), and lets the crafters sell their wares ‘for free’ [she gives them free space and one of the inn lads as a bodyguard, and even gives them free mugs of broth] to travellers who stop at the Old Skull. Jhaele also has a secret in her past that only Storm Silverhand knows -- and her only because Jhaele recently had a very ‘bad night’ and rose, weeping, in her her nightgown to march over to Storm’s farm for a little fireside comfort and sympathetic ear. I’m not yet going to reveal what it is, because my own players know only this much, and our very own Hooded Lady is, after all, one of them and can’t help but read this as she posts it for me. :}
Yes, I’m afraid the mingled book tour (two publishers: TOR’s getting in on the act, too) is only one province in Canada and two cities in the USA, this time around. I’d love to do one in England again, or even snatch time and money enough to visit on my own (a la the old One Tun days or the various Terry Pratchett fan moots, I wouldn’t mind meeting fans in a pub somewhere . . . I loved meeting Faraer during my last mini-tour [and everyone at Gencon UK, too!] and one of the most touching memories of a trip through England I did about twenty years back is shopping in a games store in Edinburgh; a fan who was too shy to speak to me rushed out of the store after Jenny and self to offer to show us the city [skipping school and his evening job to do so]. We had to refuse because we’d already arranged to meet local friends and had to get on our way to doing so, but the guy was SO enthusiastic and gobsmacked; I hope he got the bundle of TSR stuff I shipped him, once I got home). As for collecting the Knights to bring with me: not a chance. Some of them have to fly back to Canada from Japan and elsewhere for play sessions, these days, and although two of them (John and Ian Hunter: Florin and Lanseril, respectively) grew up in the UK and love to go back when they can, getting all of us together is REALLY hard. Perhaps if the United Nations really worked at it . . . :}
Yes, you’re correct that Florin, Semoor, Doust, Islif and Jhessail all came from Espar, but everyone else in (or ex-of) the Knights hails from elsewhere.

simontrinity: Very magical, in that there IS a lot of magic (spells, magic items, and ongoing enchantments/wards) around, there are a lot of wizards and sorcerers, “everyone” has heard tales of magic, and most city folk see magic daily (glowstones and similar magical light sources).
No, your average common laborer, crafter, servant, farmer or shopkeeper has never felt magic cast on them, handled anything bearing a dweomer or that could be called a “magic item,” or hired anyone to cast a spell (or had such a person under their command). Many people have seen magic used (usually at a distance, or the illusion-trickery spells of traveling hedge-wizards who entertain, some such illusions not being true magic at all, of course), and most people are fascinated by it and will rush or creep to watch it ‘in action’ (full of awe but also fear). And no, to most folk of Faerun, there’s nothing ‘everyday’ or casual about magic.

Figgas: No, no one’s contacted me about doing EverQuest novels, and I doubt I’d have the time right now (NOR the time to get familiar with the setting, in order to do a half-decent job of writing anything about it!).

thom and Wooly Rupert: Lathanderite oaths coming up, probably tomorrow (my wife is already yelling at me to stand away from the keyboard and pay HER a little attention, and I trust you know the fate of any man who ignores the desires of She Who Must Be Obeyed) . . .

So saith Ed. As for your question about the weirdest place the Knights went, Damian, that’s another of those hard-to-choose answers. It comes down to three places, though:
-- our real world (we arrived in a ravine in the wintertime, near an old ‘haunted house’ some of us explored as kids, and Ed wanted to see how long it would take us to recognize where we were
-- an endless void inside Mystra’s mind, where we “fell forever” and had dream-visions in which we conversed with her and saw some important past events
-- shrunken to tiny size, we were teleported into a suit of armor in Azoun’s bedchamber, and managed to topple it across the bed just as Azoun and Filfaeril were, ah, experiencing royal pleasures together. Boy, can she shriek! (And wow, can he curse! And whoops, can we flee fast, even at four inches tall each, when Vangerdahast is sent for!)
:} Hope that helps.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  09:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Alexander Heppe's Homepage  Send Alexander Heppe an AOL message Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message
Once again I give a hearty „well met“ from good old Germany!

Dear Hooded One, Dear Ed,

as you might guess after looking who´s writing this, I´ve got a good cart-load full of questions regarding my favourite region you´ve ever created: The Silver Marches, and this time Silverymoon in particular. I know I´m asking for much here, but who should I ask, if not the “Creator” himself (via the ever-charming Hooded One)

We´ve all read our share of realmslore regarding the gem of the north, and all the supplements so far provided us with plenty of information. We know general guidelines about the palace, the shops, the temples and politics.

With the following questions I want to delve into the everyday life of the Silvarean, helping to present this faboulous city in even more detail than I do already.

Ok, after that introduction, the questions:

1. Is Silverymoon divided into several districts (or wards, like in Waterdeep)? If so, what are their names, and in which ways do they have a certain specific “flair” to them?. What is their “feel”?
2. Does the city look very much the same everywhere (marble architecture with dwarven and many elven elements) or does it differ from part of the city to the next. Any half-timbered homes? (We´ve got tons of them here in Germany, so I just had to ask – sorry)
3. Besides the palace and the moonbridge, what are the most “striking” sights a non-silvaeran visitor will remember? What would YOU (Ed) like to see, if you were there? (Which, in a way, you are all the time...)
4. Is there some kind of “Undercity” within Silverymoon? Many Silvaeran are dwarves, so how do they live?
5. Besides Alustriel, her court, and the administration of Silverymoon and the Silver Marches, are there any notable nobles in the city? Noble houses or Merchant Families that you should know? If so, what are their names, and what do they trade in?
6. Is Silverymoon made up mostly of free citizens, meaning the majority being shop-owners, merchants, crafters? What do they wear in everyday life. What is their garb/clothing? What coulours are preferred, and how do the different classes/races differ from one another?
7. There are many temples in Silverymoon. Keeping in mind that the city is located in a northern climate, I suppose that the average/official garb of the clergy differs a bit from the standard clergy found elsewhere in Faerún. Could you give examples of what to expect to see when meeting clerics in Silverymoon?
8. Food and drink. Any local specialties my players (or everyone else who frequents Candlekeep) should not miss?
9. Commerce. What coinage is used in Silverymoon, what coins can be found from other Silver Marches cities/towns? Does the market open everyday? Who sells there? Silvaeran or peasants from outlying farms and communities?
10. How do adventurer types fit in to the everyday life? When staying the winter in this city, can they expect to get offered missions? By whom? Merchant or Noble families? Likely to get missions from the administration itself? Are there any Harper “bases” or “safehouses” known within the city?
11. Silverymoon has to always be alert in case of orc raids, right? So, are there any defense plans / laws? What are the main defenses? What would the population do in case of an orc raid?
12. The University. A City in itself or an integral part of everday life? Can commoners expect to get some questons answered there, or use the libraries? What do students do in their spare time? Jobbing in shops/taverns to pay for their study fees? Can you buy scrolls, potions, spell components there?
13. Are there any good shops you would say are a “must have looked at” for adventurers?

Whew, finished. Just hoping I´m not asking for too much, here. That would be almost a Silverymoon sourcebook in itself. Well, in Volo´s Guide to the North, Silverymoon was featured only very shortly, so I hope to close some gaps here. Thinking of it, I would surely volunteer to do some proof-reading and/or translation, should such a project ever come to see the light. It would be my greatest pleasure to help in fleshing out a part of the Realms that I like more than the rest. (Ok, to be honest I love the Dalelands, Cormyr, Western Heartlands, Waterdeep, and the general Sword Coast North just as much...)

And Ed, since there are many questions, I don´t expect them to be answered too soon. Take your time, please. And many thanks in advance!!

Alex
Go to Top of Page

Rick Day
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  16:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Rick Day's Homepage Send Rick Day a Private Message
I must just say WOW.
Ive been playing in the forgotten realms for 11 years now and I have always been overwhelmed by the level of thought and love put into it, but to see its creator freely answering questions and swapping tales with fans blows me away.
Sir I thank you for the fun and heartfelt moments I have had with my own friends and fellow gamers that you have provided us with your dedication.

And thank you Lady Hooded One for your own insights and taking the time to talk to us and convey your own tales.

Three things we live by: truth within our hearts, strength in our hands and fulfilment on our tongues
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  19:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
I agree with Rick Day. I just wanted to say THANKS once again for all the detail that you have provided. It's shattered some preconceptions about Tantras and the Vast, but in a good way. Both of you have answered my many questions with enthusiasm and I appreicate it. I've been reading your (ED) articles from back in Dragon magazine in the early 80's. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  22:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
[br
Some of these were sort of in Prayer's of the Faithful. :)

I Dont have it

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  23:23:56  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
I Dont have it

Great sourcebook. :) It lists holy books for Auril, Azuth, Beshaba, Chauntea, Deneir, Eldath, Gond, Helm, Ilmater, Kelemvor, Lathander, Loviatar, Malar, Mask, Mielikki, Milil, Mystra, Oghma, Selune, Shar, Silvanus, Sune, Talos, Torm, Tymora, Tyr, and Umberlee.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3296 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  23:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
It's one of the good ESDs, as opposed to the bitmap-text-with-inaccurate-actual-next-underneath ones.

In the 1990s, once the main regions were outlined in the FR series, we got the next layer -- the Volo's Guides, which showed what places were like close-up, and the FOR series, which began to show the Realms' real depth, the crisscrossing stories and intrigues and traditions -- FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark, FOR4 The Code of the Harpers, The Seven Sisters, Prayers from the Faithful, Cult of the Dragon, Secrets of the Magister. I miss new ones as much as Volo's Guides; next to them, the new books are visibly meat-and-potatoes pedestrian.

I doubt many Realms religions have a single holy book: they're too oral, too decentralized, and the Realms doesn't have the logocentric monotheism that gave the Torah/Bible/Qur'an or the specific traditions that gave us the Indian holy books.

Edited by - Faraer on 24 Mar 2004 23:44:48
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  01:19:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo to all, again. Herewith, Ed’s latest:

Hi, everyone.
Hey, Lashan and Rick, you’re both quite welcome.
Dargoth, the short answer is: yes, and yes again (Kuje, thanks for the redirect!), some were in PRAYERS FROM THE FAITHFUL. This is a topic I’ll address properly in April, when the Waterdeep book (and my taxes!) are handed in.
Likewise the Silverymoon queries from Alex. :}
Damian, Kuje has got it right re. Dawnspire. As for your law vs. chaos query: oh, yes, the ‘home’ Realms campaign (and as much as I can possibly make it, the published Realms) has always abounded in ‘shades of gray,’ with even the good guys differing in approaches and judgements of other players, and many, many examples of people just trying to get along in life, or doing ‘good’ things that had terrible consequences, or disagreeing on matters of style. Many of the struggles in Cormyr, for example, haven’t really been to unseat an Obarskyr monarch so much as they have been to get whoever is monarch, one way or another, to make Cormyr more like THIS, or that, or the other.

Which brings me to thom’s Lathanderite oaths request.
Here, for you and Wooly Rupert and all who are interested, are my relevant notes on the topic.
Realms exclamations appear alphabetically, followed in parentheses (with asterisks to lessen the obscenity impact) by the real-world equivalent:

“Beard!” (contraction of “[by the] Beard of Omthas!”) [Omthas was an early prophet of Lathander, last heard from over six centuries ago]

“Bitterblood!” (contraction of “By the blood of Alathan!”)

“By the Beard of Omthas!” (“Holy crap!” or: “Jesus!” [profane amazement])

“By the blood of Alathan!” (“Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!” or: “Bloody hell!” or “Jesus f**king Christ!” [profane shock or disgust]) [Alathan was a high priest of a Lathanderite temple who was martyred four centuries back for preaching the faith of Lathander by the local Tethyrian duke -- who hated and feared change, and didn’t want any commoners getting uppoty ideas about starting ANYTHING new]

“Darkrose!” (“Blast!” or: “F**k!”)

“Dawnfire!” (“Sh*t!”)

“Dusking!” (“Damnation!”)

“Redblood!” (“Bloody hell!” or “Damn!” [upset Lathanderites have been heard to say things like “They even stole the redblooding candles!” so “redblooding” is the form that lets this word be used directly in place of the real-world “bloody” or “f**king”]

“Star of the Morning!” (“My word!” [usable even when speaking to superiors in the church ‘polite oath’ that denotes surprise or dismay])

“Starfall!” (“Damn!” or “Blast!” [ancient oath, now considered almost poetic or flowery])

“Zustrin!” (“Bloody marvellous!” or “F**king wonderful!” [used only when pleased, but so shocked or surprised as to burst out into profanity; considered poor form by clergy of Lathander]

So saith Ed.
Faraer, I’m afraid I have both a great memory and thorough notes. Both of my jobs require these. The memory can be a two-edged sword, though: I remember all the deaths of family and friends all too well.
Damian, there was a huge ‘gold rush’ of adventurers into Myth Drannor after word spread that “the demons and devils were gone,” but the various fights against the devils (Mistledale holding them off, Voonlar holding them off, Battledale holding them off, Yulash and Hillsfar ditto) occurred before our arrival in Shadowdale, and everyone was too exhausted, between the devil raids and the Zhent attacks, to join with us.
And that’s it from me, for now. Must go fix someone’s redblooding stupid book. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  01:22:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A question for Alexander Heppe: have you read Ed's excellent two-parter on the Wizards website, "My Slice of Silverymoon"? It should start to answer a lot of your questions.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  04:38:43  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Lady Hooded One,

Mmm I don't know why but somehow I get the impression that I have heard your real name in passing, just for the life of me can't remember at the moment. You personally reminds me of Jhaele, could that be coincedence?

I have a Lanthanderan saying, more like a first rays prayer I would like to share with you all including Ed (but he has read it before)

"In the dawn beauty reins, and the way is clearer, for it dispels uncertainty, fostering the hope of renewal. It quells fear and its darkness recoils for Lathander’s radiance has come home once more."

Question to Ed... Where is the Srinshee now?

Question to our Hooded One: So the signing for Elminster's daughter will be at Wendy's store? Goodie, when is the exact date in May?

On the fun side of questions: How many Drow does it take to change a light bulb?

With Eilistraee now listed as having a home in Avardor (as per Forgottem Realms Player's Guide), does this finally mean that all those worshipping Eilistrae, Drow, Human, Elf, Half-Elf, go to her upon their passing? Does Sehanine come to retrieve them or is that in Eilistraee's duties?

I think Eric listed the Drow before their falling the dark elves of Mieytar and Ilytari aa Ssri'Tel'Quessir, could a more befitting name for Eilistraee's Drow be Deu'Tel'Quessir, roughly translating to Dark or in more poetic fashion, not to offense the Moon Elves Teu'Tel'Quessir, to represent Deu'Tel'Quessir as Darker side of the Moon?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  04:42:15  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Any theories by all as to what the consequences will be when Elaith finds out that he has a son from Amnestria and heir to the throne of Evermeet?
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  08:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Alexander Heppe's Homepage  Send Alexander Heppe an AOL message Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message
quote:
A question for Alexander Heppe: have you read Ed's excellent two-parter on the Wizards website, "My Slice of Silverymoon"? It should start to answer a lot of your questions.

Dear Lady,

yes I have read this excellent pieces of realmslore quite some time ago. (They´re printed out and in my Silver-Marches Binder right now)

To be honest, it was this two-parter that intrigued me and showed me that Ed has much more on Silverymoon than has been published already. In this two-parter, detailing a small quarter of the city, you could feel the love and detail Ed puts into his creations. And with Volo only tipping the surface of the city, I knew that Ed had many more about that place to say. I suppose that, besides Waterdeep, the Dalelands and the other "basic" FR-regions, Silverymoon has to be one of those places that Ed holds and keeps "special". Right? So I just had to ask the questions in my last post.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings from Europe,

Alex
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  09:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
*chuckles*

taxs?

Next time Elminster drops by get him to bring a Cleric of Waukeen with him, if you let him do your taxs the Goverment will end up OWING YOU money

Got a Question

Has Manshoon replaced Orlgaun the Dragon Mount which he lost in Spellfire? and if so with what?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  14:50:04  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
Oh Hooded Lady, please tell Ed "Thank thee most kindly!" for those oaths, they're perfect for my group of eager & young Lathanderites!.

And for you Oh Lady, can you remember any of the oaths Ed used when his Banites were striking at the Knights, or terrorizing innocents Dalesfolk? I'd like to have some things for my Banite villains to spit out at my PCs when they're battling them.

thom
Go to Top of Page

BrokenRulz
Seeker

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  15:38:57  Show Profile  Visit BrokenRulz's Homepage  Send BrokenRulz an AOL message Send BrokenRulz a Private Message
Hooded One...

My...friend (yes, that'll do)..my FRIEND would like to know and please forgive him for asking such a strange and bizarre question...but are there truly such things as Giant Space Hamsters floating around Toril? Or are these simply the ravings of mad rangers and lunatics?

D.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  18:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
I like those oaths! I have to ask, though, if there are other oaths out there? Perhaps for another religion (Torm or Tempus) or even just general oaths? I know you posted a couple earlier, but any more would be terrific!

I'm also curious about paladins in the structure of the church. Since I assume it is different for each religion, I can say especially for the Church of Torm. How do paladins fit into the relgion and who guards the temples? I've been assuming that paladins are there to guard the temples. Now, I know that there are many knightly orders, but is there one for those who guard the temples? Would all paladins of a local temple be required to guard the temple at all? If a paladin was part of the city watch, would they also be required to guard the temple? If paladins don't guard the temple, who does (if anyone)?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000