Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  15:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
So saith Ed. As for me Karth, I have several day jobs. Book editing is one of them, and it’s not the one that demands discretion. I could tell you a little about the other one, privately, but then (as the saying goes), I’d have to k---
Clear enough? so yes, please drop the potato, and step back. Drop the potato NOW. (And so on :})

Consider me a potato-dropping fool, dear lady. Death threats don't scare me: offending a delightful host does... ;)

quote:

I find all the attention flattering, but I’m really here to discuss the Realms.

It's really funny: you've apparently spent so much time around Ed that your game anecdotes have the same rythym and flavor as his books. Normally I find reflections about the doings of people's characters to be... painful, at best.

The stories of the Knights from Ed and yourself never fail to amuse though... ;)

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  17:56:55  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Oh Lady Hooded One,

I know you've always enjoy the roleplaying more than the combat. I was going to ask Ed about the spell selection of the Banite priest and Zhentarim wizards he generally tossed your way, but if you can remember and save him the trouble that's fine!

Did they (the Bane/Zhents) generally use mostly offensive/destructive spells and not worry about defending themselves with their spells? If so, how did they take care of their 'precious little hides from the Knights' obviously very effective defending & counter-attacking? I'm setting my PCs up to defend their local area much the same way the Knights defended Shadowdale; and I'm using the Bane/Zhents as the main villains to start with. Again, I'm trying to get the 'home Realms feel' for how these bu**ers operated when they ran up against the buzzsaws of the Knights. If you think Ed would remember more, please pass this on to him.

And I say 'amen' to Karth's previous compliments on Ed's revelations and yours! I routinely go back and re-read my tattered Volo's guides looking for more tidbits I might have missed the first 10-15 time! And yes Blueblade, I too found myself sniffing at our Lady's latest story. Keep them coming! and thanks again for sharing your wonderful experiences so that we can better strive to make our campaigns more 'Realmslike' and thus ensure that the Realms does truly live on forever!

thom
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  18:51:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Your Hooded Lady returns, with Ed’s latest:

Hi, Karth! Yes, I’ll look around for that list, but please don’t hold your breath. I’m busier than busy right now, what with the Waterdeep novel and two long-overdue short stories and my tax deadline looming ever nearer . . . and if there’s one thing that takes time, it’s searching for Realmslore in this crammed castle. :}

As for ‘junior’ noble families: the ‘youngest’ of them were elevated in 1254 DR, and Waterdeep has actually ‘lost’ two noble families since then (Zoar and Gildeggh, “Outcast” [exiled] in 1273). There have been three noble families who ALMOST went extinct, and some evidence that nobles or Lords of Waterdeep quickly arranged some marriages to make no noble house disappeared -- both to avoid pressure from any ambitious merchants clamoring that “there’s now room for me, isn’t there?” and more importantly to avoid having dozens of mountebanks or serious individuals showing up for centuries to come, claiming to be the “long lost heir” of this or that noble house (“so where’s my villa? what have you done with it? You OWE me for it!”).
‘Junior’ in this sense really means that certain noble families play a sneering-on-others game (more often rooted in fancy than in reality) that their bloodlines are older and therefore better than those of other nobility. In truth, they’re ALL jumped-up wealthy merchants, and some of them have even lost most of their wealth since being ennobled. It’s akin to two ancient, toothless old men living in adjacent tumbledown shacks in a real-world village, but one of them looking down on the other because “his family wasn’t originally from these parts.”
Faced with an outsider, however ambitious, the nobles WILL form a united front, a fortress wall (“whatever happens, gotta keep the rabble out”). Again, you can MARRY into the nobility (especially if you happen to be good-looking OR very rich, of either gender), but although I quite understand that your player doesn’t want to be a mere courtier, I’m afraid he or she is out of luck unless they can marry into, successfully dispose of and impersonate a particular noble, or successfully convince a particular noble family that s/he IS a long-lost relation (and s/he’d better be ready to withstand hired magical probings and various testings, and be pleasant to boot [because if unpleasant, a dagger in the ribs and a corner of earth in the deepest cellar will be MUCH easier than feeding and clothing and putting up with him/her].
My records tell me that the Phull and Zulpair families were the last to be ennobled, and they seem to have managed it by identical methods: 1. Succeed at trade enough to be staggeringly wealthy. 2. Buy up huge amounts of real estate in Waterdeep, especially in North Ward and Sea Ward. 3. Attend all the revels, actingly in a quiet, toady-like, subservient manner, and offer money to help with ‘problems’ discussed by grumbling nobles at said functions (as GIFTS and NOT loans). 4. VERY quietly loan monies to desperate noble houses. 5. Financially bail out/further the stated aims of a few Masked Lords (“cleaning up” firetrap warehouses in Dock Ward, having the sewers fixed, the harbor dredged, the city walls expanded and repaired, allowing the Lords to take credit rather than yourself. 6. Tell everyone, over and over again at revels (which you now attend dressing and speaking just as much like ‘real nobles’), that you care deeply for “the good of Waterdeep” and “we must all think of the good of Waterdeep, so that it will be as great as it is now a thousand years hence.” 7. When desperate noble houses discreetly approach you for even more money than you’ve given them before [in Step 4], willingly hand them more, and say, “This should be a gift, not a loan, but not being noble myself, I can’t insult you like that. If we were both nobles, hey, all you’d have to do would be hint at the need, and this would always be just a gift.” 8. Start marrying your daughters (made as beautiful as magic can make them, and trained in noble speech and deportment as well as money to pay retired or fired servants can achieve) into noble houses, and accompany them with staggeringly large dowries. 9. Hire spies to find out who just one or two Masked Lords are, and befriend them, financially helping their businesses. 10. Bribe some of the disaffected young wastrel nobles to verbally champion your family at revels as “acting like nobles should.” 11. Bribe some servants, ditto [do both 10 and 11 through intermediaries, of course]. 12. Bankroll some young, disaffected nobles to pursue their dreams, however foolish or zany such schemes may be. Befriend THEM. 13. Watch for financial troubles among the nobles and try to repeat Step 4, aiming for a repeat of Step 7.
And, all this time, DON’T build a luxury villa of your own, DON’T openly challenge any noble, and NEVER openly ask to be a noble or pretend to be one.
Eventually, someone facing ruin will remember your Step 7 and start whispering that you should be ennobled. DO NOTHING (unless you can get real control over a few Masked Lords, and add their voices to the whispering). Let it happen.
As you can see, this takes KINGDOMS full of money (the Zulpairs found a remote island where monsters had devoured a dwarf clan and then perished for lack of food, leaving entire caverns full of already-mined rubies ownerless) and GENERATIONS of time, plus NOT MAKING A SINGLE MISTAKE. That’s why it’s never been done since. It worked for the Phulls and the Zulpairs (who have been scorned by many nobles ever since) because they practically bought up all of North Ward between them -- and then GAVE IT AWAY, property by property, to various nobles in winning their support for ennobling House Phull and House Zulpair.
So there’s your template. Your ambitious player had better find some way of living for centuries and (like Khelben) somehow concealing the fact that he’s actually the same guy (can’t have any noble whispers of “he’s really undead, he MUST be -- AND HE’S BEDDING MY DAUGHTER!”). Oh, yes, and becoming the most fabulously wealthy individual in all the Realms, of course.
Yes, that could be the basis of a long-running campaign. :}
The Heralds would automatically recognize anyone the Open Lord of Waterdeep treated as a noble. Again, they don’t mess in “shoulds” or unfolding politics, but merely enforce the rules of how people use blazons.
Same goes for your question about a self-made ruler in the Border Kingdoms. Of course the Heralds will recognize his right to use a coat of arms, motto, colours, badges, and banners. They’re not standing in judgement over his legitimacy at all -- they’re just making sure that he doesn’t deliberately or unwittingly use heraldry that copies, or is so close to as to be easily mistaken for, arms already in use by someone else. They really don’t care if he controls land, has a certain number of troops, or anything like that. What the Heralds WILL do is impose fees and the existing Law of Arms to stop a commoner PRETENDING to be noble, or (in the case of our “yahoo adventurer”) stop the children, friends, or creditors of someone who has a coat of arms who dies desitute all trying to use those arms as if the blazon now legitimately belongs to them (the Heralds will rule who can and can’t use it).
To extend this to be Obarskyrs, the approval of the elves gave them rule, soon formalized into a crown, throne, and title arrangement. Clear, formal rule is always better than endless civil war (example: see our real-world Balkans, not just now but for centuries into the past), so the Heralds step in to explain to the Obarksyrs and their early courtiers that: “You have the say over who gets ennobled and what titles are granted, but if you want them --and therefore your rule, too -- to be recognized and respected, WE set the rules you work within, for all Faerûn, and no, we will NEVER challenge your rule or anything like that: we’re neutral.” A trick used by certain early Heralds (before the split with the Harpers) was to magically call back the wraith of a dead ancestor to privately tell a recalcitrant ruler that the Heralds were right and should be obeyed in this -- usually by awakening and scaring the ruler, in the dead of night. Worked like a charm. :}
And yes, you’re right: the richest merchants in Waterdeep DID just get together (in the face of Raurlor’s and then Ahghairon’s authoritarianism) and say, “okay, we’re special, and we get these special privileges, okay? In return, we’ll support your rule instead of knifing all your agents and raising support against you and then fighting each other and destroying the whole damn city, okay?” And Ahghairon saw this as the perfect way to avoid the rise of another Raurlor, when he grew too old to stop it: these self-styled nobles would police each other as well as the “commoners” under them.
Again, the Heralds DON’T “recognize” this title or that title: they just say: “You can’t have three green crosses on your shield like that, Lord Falling-Down-Stairs, because there’s an emperor already using that design. May we suggest this? Or that? We’ve brought along a few drawings . . .”
If I was the DM and an elf “publicly, visibly saved” the entire Forest Kingdom, I would have the ruling Obarskyr of the day reward them with a handsome title: “Lord High Protector of the Realm” or some such. The Obarskyr would NOT publicly say if it was hereditary or not, and the title wouldn’t be worded to make it sound so [in my suggested title, the implication is that the title refers to the protection THAT indivdual has conferred on the realm, so it DOESN’T hint at heredity]; only the War Wizards and the local Heralds would know, one way or another (and after all, public sentiment would probably enthusiastically support bestowal of the title at the time, and the Obarskyr is banking on the lifespan of elves to make sure that the nature of the title, hereditary or not, won’t come to public notice). Cormyr’s early history would argue against public acceptance of hereditary elven titles, yes.

Now, as for basic courses on heraldry, here you point right at a can of worms. To put it plainly, Cormyr can be said to follow the “classic” rules of British heraldry (as enforced by the College of Arms, whose main offices are in London, England, just south of St. Paul’s and north of the River Thames). Waterdeep does not follow some of those rules (in most heraldry, you’re not supposed to put “metal on metal” [gold and silver are metals, for example, whereas blue and red are colours], but in Waterdeep some nobles have, so by precedent it’s okay to do so.
There are any number of good books, and a lot of bad ones, too, with titles like “Simple Heraldry.” The wider problem in our real world is that even though a lot of individual wealthy Americans try to “buy” British titles and so on, the United States officially DOESN’T follow British heraldry (something to do with a long-ago War of Independence :}), so American corporations, for instance, use heraldry that’s by British standards rather dodgy.
However, the Realms are medieval-to-Renaissance, and still have that daily practical need for blazons to be painted on shields and recognized in battle so you don’t gut your own father (er, unless you’re planning to). So what I’m really talking about is: the Heralds of the Realms stop people copying other people’s shields too closely or exactly. If you want a bunch of coats of arms, hit your local library and dig up a heraldry book (if the place uses Dewey rather than Library of Congress, you want the 929-point-whatever section, which heraldry shares with flags and books of names for your baby), and copy the ones you like. If you avoid “differencing” (marks to show descendants; a good heraldry book should have examples), quartering (the shield split up into different sections with different arms on them, to show that two or more individuals with blazons have married), and anything more cluttered than the examples in the book, you’ll be okay for basic roleplaying purposes.
Oh, one other thing: in the real-world, women usually use lozenges and other “non-shield shapes” to show their arms, rather than the shields men use, but in the Realms arms and arms and women use shields too.
A student of heraldry (and I am one) will be shuddering at my simplifications here, but really this topic demands entire websites (and libaries FULL of books) to deal with properly.
A “charge” is simply something you put on a coat of arms. For instance, if I have a plain orange shield, and I paint a boar’s head at the center of it, that head is one charge (and the Heralds of the Realms will leave me alone, even if I then use that same boar’s head as a badge on the armored breasts, backs, and/or shoulders of all my men-at-arms for battle recognition). But if I then think my shield looks rather plain and add a horizontal sword UNDER the boar’s head, that’s a second charge and the Herald comes calling. (If I change the boar’s head to have it impaled by a sword, I’ve just changed my single charge, and the Herald will only come calling if I’ve spread around a lot of contracts and other documents, banners, and the like that still display my original boar’s head -- because then he’ll want to make sure he doesn’t have two boar’s-head-using persons dwelling near each other, and want to warn me that there are rules to heraldry, and I should always talk to him before making changes, okay?)
I hope this first stab at things heraldic helps. Feel free to ask more specific things; I’m not trying to dodge answering, I’m throwing up my arms and saying, “Geez! This is like trying to give you the history of the world in four paragraphs! Nooooo!” I recall a slender hardcover book entitled Simple Heraldry that had pen-and-ink humorous illustrations throughout covering the REAL basics of heraldry; if I can find all the cataloguing info for it, I’ll post it via the Delightful Hooded One.

Ooh, Lady Delightful here. Yes, Karth, I know what you mean about “and then my character killed Asmodeus” stories (yawn). Shut me up if I ever start to sound like that, okay? And yes, we DO sound alike, Ed and all of us players, when we ‘talk Realms’ -- because we’ve been doing it together for so long. There are worse fates than sounding like Ed, I suppose. I could look like Ed but still be of my own gender, for instance. :}
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  19:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Noted Realms person Bryon Wischstadt has an article called "Historical Heraldry" in Dragon #275. I don't know how reliable it is, but I read and noted it because of its Realms connection. Similarly, Steven Schend just confirmed on REALMS-L the Realms-compatibility of his Alchemy & Herbalists, which moves further up my 'to get' list.

Great Lurue story. I think what makes many 'in our campaign' stories dull is just when they're egotistical, and when the person isn't able to articulate those aspects that actually made the event exciting.

When I list my favourite Realms heroes, Florin Falconhand is always on the list, and I couldn't exactly tell you why.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  19:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ooh, Lady Delightful here. Yes, Karth, I know what you mean about “and then my character killed Asmodeus” stories (yawn). Shut me up if I ever start to sound like that, okay? And yes, we DO sound alike, Ed and all of us players, when we ‘talk Realms’ -- because we’ve been doing it together for so long. There are worse fates than sounding like Ed, I suppose. I could look like Ed but still be of my own gender, for instance. :}

Ah, such a horrible fate indeed!

I was just browsing the older topics, and found one of interest, so now I shall ask this question. In your campaign, have there been any stupid or funny deaths?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  19:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Noted Realms person Bryon Wischstadt has an article called "Historical Heraldry" in Dragon #275. I don't know how reliable it is, but I read and noted it because of its Realms connection.

I'd say without even looking that it's probably very well researched and tight. After all, Bryon was one of my most reliable go-to guys when I needed my Realms data/histories double-checked (along with George, Eric, and Grant).

And while it's not strictly Realms material, there's a lot to be said that works between the Realms and Bryon's FAERIES book for Bastion Press (shameless plug for his design and my editing).

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  21:22:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks for that very nice post, thom. Let me try to answer your priests of Bane and Zhentarim questions.
As far as play went for we of the Knights, Ed deliberately kept so many balls in the air in our campaign play (subplots upon subplots upon subplots) that if we wanted to choose our destinies at all, we had to forego most chances at vigorously attacking the Zhents and try to ‘get on’ with dealing with everything ELSE.
Which of course meant that we were rarely pouncing on the Zhents. Instead, we were usually defending Shadowdale while they attacked it (one more time). This meant that we were generally reacting to their tactics, which tended to follow this model (with variations, of course):
Zhentilar troops (fighters, bolstered by a handful of trying-to-prove-themselves Zhentarim magelings with their own personal bodyguards of crossbow-using veteran Zhentilar, usually one each) would attack. Priests of Bane would magically observe from a safe distance, with their own stronger bodyguards and with defensive spells prepared. Their job was to observe and then report back, fighting only to win free of “enemies” (us, or sometimes a few Harpers who’d been visiting Storm). And a trio or quintet of experienced Zhentarim wizards, usually accompanied by a few magically-controlled monsters they could unleash on us, would wait with full battle-spells at the ready, to smash at us when we were engaged with the first force (the troops).
The magelings might have ANY sort of spell (including experimental disasters), and would fling their magic recklessly. They were out to prove themselves and spared little or nothing on defense. They WOULD run like rabbits once their troops became mincemeat -- though of course that was usually too late.
The experienced Zhentarim wizards wore teleport rings to whisk themselves out of danger, and attacked in co-ordinated unison, seeking to strike hard, do damage, and get out, rather than to rescue any other Zhents or to “win the field.” They were operating under orders to reduce Shadowdale to helplessness through attrition, not become glorious heroes by conquering it soonest.
Time and again we’d end up in such fights, looking around for where and when the experienced mages would hit us from. We learned not to try to go after the priests, because they’d lead us to more powerful priests, who’d spring blade barriers on us . . . and after you’ve staggered through two or three of those in succession, continuing to pursue becomes uninteresting fast; Ed even once put a trio of cooks from Zhentil Keep waiting with large silver basins to catch our blood in, “for a special recipe,” as we emerged, more dead than alive, from our third blade barrier. Guest players were running Islif and Dove that night, and burst into astonished laughter -- giving the timid, frantically-thanking-us-and-wishing-us-all-a-fair-day cooks time to scuttle away. Jhessail flashed their basins with a fire spell to prevent fell magical uses being made of our gore, but let the poor terrified gourmands go.
What Ed was doing, of course, was handing us the same challenge over and over again, with our foes acting a little smarter each time, waiting for us to try something bold, dramatic, and different. Eventually, with the aid of a shield that helped Florin to fly and some “can the Harpers help us like this?” talks with Storm, we did, and wiped out not just that Zhent force but the observing priests, too.
Manshoon’s response was to soften us up with monsters, helmed horrors and other magically-animated perils, and suchlike for a time, and then try again -- hurling the experience wizards at us first, this time, and then throwing the troops in at us when we were engaged. Inferior numbers were always our problem; I vividly remember Islif staggering towards me in play with FOUR Zhentilar wrapped around her, one of them using the blade he’d thrust into her like a handle. That sort of thing can slow you down. Manshoon was hoping we’d either all get killed or get sick of this and just go away, as all profit-seeking adventurers would be tempted to . . . but he got us enraged, and we stubbornly decided to stay in the face of everything he could throw.
At the same time, we were providing Manshoon with a handy testing-ground for Zhentilar warriors and Zhentarim magelings, because he knew that his repeated attacks weren’t going to provoke counterattacks from a large army (Cormyr was obviously content to sit and use us as a shield, and we weren’t on the direct trade-road to Sembia, so they weren’t going to hire mercenaries to go and teach Manshoon a lesson as long as he kept busy beating up a trade-route-rival: us).
Torm eventually hit upon the impudence of penetrating Zhentil Keep and slaying some really high-ranking Zhents to show Manshoon we could take the battle to him whenever we felt like it -- and that, of course, almost got us killed but did set off infighting among the Zhents, as various priests of Bane and beholder allies pounced on our forays as an excuse to challenge Manshoon’s “bad leadership.”
As far as specific spells go, Ed usually stuck to 2nd Ed AD&D Players Handbook spells for most of the spellhurling Zhents, BUT ‘twisted’ every single spell a little, so its area of effect or incantation or material components were different. This kept us roleplaying, reacting to what we saw rather than to what we’d memorized of the rules, and so was far more exciting.
I know I’d go home after play sessions not pissed off at the amount of my school homework I’d neglected so as to go to Ed’s, but rather very satisfied at having saved Shadowdale and fought off the bad guys one more time. And whenever we could sneak away from the recurring Zhent attacks, we’d go and have ourselves a REAL adventure. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  23:33:48  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
I know this gets redundant my lady, but thanks so much for your reply! It's precisely this rich retelling of yours (and Ed's) that I'm looking for! Again, I'm gonna have to go off & digest this feast for a while before my next course of questions! I definitely will want to hear more later about all those 'balls in the air' that Ed kept tossing at y'all!

thom
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
Yes, I’ll look around for that list, but please don’t hold your breath. I’m busier than busy right now

Totally understand. I don't want to even slightly hinder you from finishing new Realmslore that will enrich us all... ;)
quote:
So there’s your template. Your ambitious player had better find some way of living for centuries and (like Khelben) somehow concealing the fact that he’s actually the same guy (can’t have any noble whispers of “he’s really undead, he MUST be -- AND HE’S BEDDING MY DAUGHTER!”). Oh, yes, and becoming the most fabulously wealthy individual in all the Realms, of course.
Yes, that could be the basis of a long-running campaign. :}

LOL... That's perfect, Ed. Exactly what I needed. Sounds like a cool idea for a book too. Something you could bang out in your copious free time, perhaps... ;)

There is a way of easing the path: travel back in time and establish yourself early on, have children and pass it to them, then come forward again, replace a suitable descendant, and reap the rewards that your progeny have built for you over the intervening centuries that you skipped. It might take a couple of tries to get a success that carried through to modern times though. There is also the Butterfly Effect to worry about.

Just thinking out loud. I'm not gonna suggest that plan to my plyr. He's nuts enough to try it... ;)
quote:
The Obarskyr would NOT publicly say if it was hereditary or not, and the title wouldn’t be worded to make it sound so [in my suggested title, the implication is that the title refers to the protection THAT indivdual has conferred on the realm, so it DOESN’T hint at heredity]; only the War Wizards and the local Heralds would know, one way or another (and after all, public sentiment would probably enthusiastically support bestowal of the title at the time, and the Obarskyr is banking on the lifespan of elves to make sure that the nature of the title, hereditary or not, won’t come to public notice).

The lifespan bit sounds vaguely related to the tactic of making Storm a Marchioness, which makes me wonder what would happen when/if she had children of her own. Could that cause a challenge for control of the modern Immerdusk family between Storm's rugrat and whatever blood is sitting there now? Was Baerovus aware, directly or otherwise, of her long lifespan and the possible consequences thereof? I would think that the Obarskyrs would be only too eager to avoid publicizing the fact that an entire noble family was based on a subterfuge to disguise a bastard scion...

But then again: half the blood in Cormyr is probably tainted Obarskyr, given the "enthusiastic recreations" of the various kings.
quote:
I hope this first stab at things heraldic helps.

Very helpful, actually. I don't need the full curriculum, I just need to know more than my plyrs, so as not to appear inconsistent or unconfident in my rulings. ;)

The distinction you make here (paraphrase: that the Heralds don't legitimize nobility itself but rather set the rules of the game for all who, on their own, can claim nobility and make it stick) is also very enlightening. Many thanks for the generous tutorial!
quote:
THO: There are worse fates than sounding like Ed, I suppose. I could look like Ed but still be of my own gender, for instance. :}

I think I'll wander off now and try to forget that visual forever. Sticking red hot knitting needles in my eyes may just be distracting enough... ;)

But do keep the stories coming as long as you feel like sharing, Delightful One. The Zhentarim "How To Annoy Knights of Myth Drannor In Your Spare Time" essay was especially useful. The humorous Knights anecdotes are priceless.

"If the sun is rising in the east, it's my day to be Lord of Shadowdale."

Sounds like a folk song...

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:20:57  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message

The Hooded One,

Out of curiosity, who are the current members (in Ed's home campaign) of the Knights of Myth Drannor? And, what are their levels?

Also, what happened to Doust, Islif, and the cleric of Lathander? Were they NPCs, or ... ?

Just general curiosity about the Knights. :)

Regards,
Simon

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:38:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
I know I'm not the Hooded One, but I think I know some of those answers. Some memorable knights are Torm, Rathan, Florin Falconhand, Jhessail, Sharantyr, and so on... I can't remember the rest....

Well, I hope that helped a little.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  04:51:16  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I have two question.

1) Is it possible for a demigod priest to have an epic priest? Even one more powerful than the God?

2)Could you inform me of the state of the church of Finder Wyvernspur? I heard of a church in Waterdeep, but I'm not sure that it's cannon or a homegrown version of the city.

Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  05:24:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Stupid or funny deaths, Shadowlord? Are you kidding? How long do you have to sit and read posts? I could spend WEEKS (no exaggeration) just listing the ‘Darwin Awards of the Realms’ passings of various unfortunates. Most of them are, of course, of the “brief pratfall with black humour-amusing utterance like they’ll never be able to hit me here” variety.
Let me restrict myself to just a few of the most ‘useful campaign interesting’ demises:

1. The Zhent assassin who decided the best way to kill a Knight of Myth Drannor was to wait until we spent the night at the northernmost paddock in Shadowdale, guarding the local horses a passing drover was going to buy the next day (for several years before our arrival in the dale, thieves had mysteriously stolen the best horses the night of the drover’s arrival at the Old Skull Inn, just before his buying tour the next morn -- and the fed-up ranchers of the dale wanted our help).
The assassin knew Sylune always cast a quell-the-vermin spell on the two-holer outhouse at the paddock, because so many people would be using it in a very short time. After she’d done that and departed, he had a Zhent mage cast a silence spell on the little shack, and then slipped down the pit to, ahem, run a spear up our bums at the right moment.
His primary target was Jhessail, to eliminate her magic before he went after the rest of us -- but unfortunately for him, a Thayan spy whose cover Jhessail just blown at the Old Skull furiously decided to kill her, too. He lurked in the trees, trailed her to the paddock, and when she headed for the privy, raced there first and plunged down the hole, weapons drawn.
The startled Zhent killed him and was still struggling to ‘get out from under’ when Jhessail arrived, relieved herself all over them both, noted the utter silence, and told Torm and Rathan.
They decided it could do no harm to tip the flimsy structure over on its back and make sure all was fine. Whereupon the filthy, dripping assassin boiled up out of the pit, hurling murder in all directions -- so Rathan calmly dropped the outhouse back into place, braining him. He and Torm didn’t know the assassin had just torn loose a bauble from his necklace of missiles, and they leaned the outhouse over backwards again to make sure he was sprawled and helpless. He was, and Torm and Rathan were just chuckling and dusting off their hands when the outhouse, assassin, dead Thayan, and all the dung from the pit burst high into the air.
They survived the explosion (as did the watching Jhessail and the rest of us), but the drover’s little band of sneak thieves, approaching the paddock through the trees just then, weren’t so lucky.

And there was Torm, murmuring to a swiftly-arriving Mourngrym: “Well, no, actually, Lord M, I wasn’t quite PRIVY to the manner of the deaths.”

2. The beautiful Sembian lady mercenary who tried to seduce and slay Azoun IV on an undercover tomcatting trip he made to Shadowdale (in the wake of her exploits in STORMLIGHT, he wanted to renew his friendship with Storm Silverhand in a very thorough and personal manner). A traitor among the War Wizards had arranged that the murdered Azoun would be impersonated by a Sembian at least long enough to cede the mountain passes and easternmost Cormyr coastal lowlands to Sembia (it was the intention of the Red Wizard behind this scheme to end up, after the inevitable war damaged both countries, with a lot of land and influence in whatever was left of Cormyr, and able to manipulate enraged Cormyrean nobles as “avenge our realm!” forces for years into the future).
The War Wizard traitor hired the lady mercenary, but agreed with her that she didn’t stand much chance of disposing of the real Storm or fooling any Harpers who might be visiting her farmhouse, so she and the War Wizard cast some spells to make her look like Storm and installed her well west of the dale, at an encampment on the road Azoun and his tiny disguised-as-adventurers bodyguard were riding along. The bait worked, and he stopped for the night, delighted to find so many beautiful women gathered warily around a fire. (The other women were Sembian prostitutes hired for a few days by the disguised War Wizard, who overpaid them handsomely, told them a cover story about going to Tilverton to do pleasure work and also that they were to give pleasure to the men they’d meet at this camp without demanding pay, and told them they’d receive even more coin after -- intending instead their deaths, of course.) Afraid she might not be able to fool him for long, the false Storm introduced the king and his merry men to “these lasses she was guarding on their way to Tilverton, who should be safe now that you’re here to stay the night with them,” and promised Azoun she’d be back in a few hours to sport with him, after she’d done a little Harper errand and he’d “warmed himself up sufficiently.” He agreed enthusiastically, and she slipped away to prepare herself (she’d sharpened all of her fingernails, and was going to dip them in paralyzing poisons and return when it was full dark—in a gown that should make it clear to even the most suspicious Cormyrean that her only weapons were those nature had given her).
Azoun and his men set one of their number as a guard, and set to, ahem, work. This irritated left-out Purple Dragon decided to at least WATCH all the fun, and neglected to ‘report in’ to Vangerdahast (via a magical bracer the Royal Magician had ordered him to wear) at the agreed-upon time. Vangey, fearing the worst, teleported a large War Wizard strike force right to the man, and there was a brief chaos of embarrassed Purple Dragons and King fleeing for cover, the highcoin ladies exchanging glances, shrugging, and deciding to just follow their orders and so try to seduce the arriving War Wizards, and one of these War Wizards catching sight of the traitor War Wizard (who was lurking watching).
Confused battle follows, the mercenary lady decides to take down the traitor who hired her so his testimony won’t doom her own pretty neck -- and Florin and Merith, accompanying some Shadowdale foresters on a stealthy road-patrol, burst into the middle of all of this and are mistaken for brigands or part of a kingslaying plot by the Cormyreans.
Utter farcial chaos follows, during which the mercenary lady kills the traitor, embraces Azoun to avoid having another War Wizard immediately blast her, the traitor’s death causes her Storm disguise to melt away and she frantically tries to off Azoun -- only to learn the hard way that she doesn’t have enough poison left on her nails or that it’s one of the toxins he’s been magically protected against.
Azoun decides he’s enjoying all this and might as well enjoy HER, too, and a War Wizard farcalls Vangey because he knows Queen Filfaeril was planning to use her own magical locket to contact her husband this night, and might just slay him if she observes what he’s up to. A second War Wizard who knows the same thing sees a glow at Azoun’s neck (where he wears a matching locket) and frantically tries to cast a spell that’ll switch Azoun’s face for that of Florin (who’s about the same size), and so on.
We were all so amused and confused by the end of this that by the time an amused Filfaeril (who was quite used to her husband’s amours) and a furious Alusair (who thought he should know better, and had drawn her sword to prove it) arrived with Vangey via teleport, everyone but Ed had lost track of who was alive, who was dead, and where and what they were doing.
Which was when a Zhentilar patrol, who’d heard and seen all the shouts and spells, charged out of the night to the attack.
Vangey and the most powerful War Wizards threw up some hasty barrier spells and snarled, “And who are YOU?”
And the Zhent leader, realizing just how doomed he and his men were, pointed at the various nude highcoin ladies and said in as angry a voice as he could manage when terrified: “Their husbands!”

3. A little-publicized-for-security-reasons official visit by Queen Filfaeril to Shadowdale, to congratulate Mourngrym and Shaerl on the birth of her son. War Wizards galore to keep everything safe, armed-to-the-teeth Purple Dragons, and a few haughty senior courtiers. Some of the latter are standing around in the sunshine outside the Twisted Tower talking to Illistyl (because she’s a beautiful lass), not knowing that Zhent agents have cunningly put a ‘teleport focus’ item on a hippogriff returning to the ‘flight deck’ high up on the Tower, and Zhentarim wizards with wands and spells galore are now arriving, intending to murder Filfaeril and anyone who tries to get into their way.
Unfortunately for them, Torm and Rathan have been stationed up on that level of the Tower to guard against any such attack, and to keep their clever tongues far from Filfaeril—and start to efficiently slaughter Zhents (and as they're wizards, T and R behead, just to make sure).
Cut back to the courtiers, condescendingly observing to Illistyl that it must be boring, living in a backwater like this, where nothing ever happens.
“Oh, yes,” she agrees calmly, “’tis peaceful enough.”
Thump, the first severed Zhent head lands on the turf beside them.
The courtiers gape at it.
“Nothing much ever happens, ’tis true,” she continues, keeping a straight face and not looking up.
Thump, thump, thump, the heads land and roll . . .

4. Then there was the mighty Zhentilar commander (higher level and hit points than any two of us Knights) who was using an upper level of an old tower as his campaign HQ when a few of us Knights attacked (my character was one of them, but Florin, Dove, Merith, and Jhessail were fighting elsewhere). We fought our way up the tower through all of his under-officers, taking damage (the only way up was via a ladder, up a central shaft, and we had no spells by then to send up it), to finally reach the topmost room, where we planned to hole up and heal ourselves. The swaggering commander grinned with glee, and started carving us up. We fought each other, all around that deadly open shaft, until he finally downed Rathan. Chortling, he went after a wounded and grimly-crawling Torm. Trying to distract him (in character here), I gasped loudly, “I can’t remember the command word!”
The Zhent spun around and peered at me -- I flashed my breasts at him, and gave him a cheesy grin to boot, just trying to buy Torm more time to get out a dagger or something. The Zhent saw that I had no magic item at all. He burst out laughing at my feeble deception -- and stepped right into the shaft. He broke his neck at the bottom, and for weeks of play sessions afterwards I had Torm pawing at my character, gasping teasingly, “Oh, no! I can’t remember the command word!”

5. Then there were the Zhents who ambushed Dove when she was driving a coach alone into Shadowdale -- who reacted in sneering disbelief to her admission that it contained a dragon, and smashed it open with swords and axes.
Unfortunately for them, she wasn’t lying. :}

That’s enough for now. I think you get the idea.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ceremony
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  07:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Ceremony's Homepage Send Ceremony a Private Message
Greetings and salutations to all who look upon my written words. With a particularly fond greeting extended to the Realms-father himself(Mr.Greenwood). An equally affectionate hello is offered to our pleasantly talented Lady of the Hood, for both her time and contributions. That being said, I to find myself brimming with queries regarding the Forgotten Lands.

Mr. Greenwood(Ed)-

1)I find myself a frequent storyteller(DM) within the Forgotten lands of your creation. As such, I most humbly make a request. Might you be willing to offer a brief personality outline on each of Mystras seven chosen sisters? A character frame-work of sorts detailing individual drives motivations and passions. I wish to use the above mentioned outline/framework as a source of reference, a foundation of sorts for portraying the chrome crested beauties.

2)Within the AD&D 2e supplement: Drow of the Underdark. This books introduction sees the brief appearance of a dark elven(drow) female by name of Sussprina(sp?). She apparently is introduced as a former student of the Mage of Shadowdale(by him). Might you offer details as to Sussprinas back-ground, talents and degree of accomplishments?

3)Lastly but far from least. I request that you convey a question to the old mage of Shadowdale on my behalf(). If I am to find myself traversing lands nearing Shadowdale within future times. Might I seek refuge for an eve or two within his company? If you find him agreeable with this request, please follow up w/the following:
I may by convenience find myself in such a situation during the colder season of the year. Might he be capable of harvesting up a reputable silver haired bard to assist in scaring off the chill of winters night?

Much thanks in advance for all/any help that might be offered on the above.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  08:07:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremony

1)I find myself a frequent storyteller(DM) within the Forgotten lands of your creation. As such, I most humbly make a request. Might you be willing to offer a brief personality outline on each of Mystras seven chosen sisters? A character frame-work of sorts detailing individual drives motivations and passions. I wish to use the above mentioned outline/framework as a source of reference, a foundation of sorts for portraying the chrome crested beauties.

You might want to look into the 2nd edition supplement The Seven Sisters... It covers much of what you seek.
And I like your phrase-ology there.

quote:

2)Within the AD&D 2e supplement: Drow of the Underdark. This books introduction sees the brief appearance of a dark elven(drow) female by name of Sussprina(sp?). She apparently is introduced as a former student of the Mage of Shadowdale(by him). Might you offer details as to Sussprinas back-ground, talents and degree of accomplishments?

Ooh, hey, I'd like to see that, too!

quote:

3)Lastly but far from least. I request that you convey a question to the old mage of Shadowdale on my behalf(). If I am to find myself traversing lands nearing Shadowdale within future times. Might I seek refuge for an eve or two within his company? If you find him agreeable with this request, please follow up w/the following:
I may by convenience find myself in such a situation during the colder season of the year. Might he be capable of harvesting up a reputable silver haired bard to assist in scaring off the chill of winters night?

I seem to recall reading that Elminster likes both German beer and Mountain Dew... You could offer him some of those.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  14:18:59  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Crikey I have just caught up with the posts! - EXCELLENT STUFF

first off, thanks for the updates re Neiroon et al. (extremeley excited about the DotC - roll on the Waterdeep Book or maybe one of the Knight Novels?? ;) )

I look forward to seeing some Lore about Nimoars Hold in the future (your schedule permitting) as I am planing on using it as a base for the next series of Convention Games run via Eurolog (www.eurolog.org) using the upcoming Castle and Crusades handbook from Troll Lord Games - quick two/three hour slots for people to roll up a character and get playing either dungeon bashing or exploring the North (converting Castle Zagyg to Halasters Halls etc!!)

Good Lady, I would be interested to hear from you a short bio of individual Knights, what they are like, there sayings, dreams and schemes and failings! I know Ed has waxed lyrical about the Knights but as a DM you see things different than how players see them whilst engaged in the game - so how do you see the Knights? maybe start with Sharantyr as she as a 'junior' knight always intrigued me from the OGBS with the write up about her luring beholders into Knight's ambushes (even though she is listed as Ranger 2!! - ;) )

Cheers

Damian

quote:

Ed has spoken again (a busy boy, indeed), thus:

I’m not sure about Neiroon; no plans right now, but you’ve got me thinking. :} I do know the Crazed Venturers won’t be in the Waterdeep novel,
As I told Faraer, although I’d love to do up the Haunted Halls properly (and I quite agree, it makes a great campaign starter, request, and -- a la Volo -- one I don’t mind at all making one more time to the good folks at WotC. Perhaps as a web supplement . . . About the Dungeon of the Crypt, I have better news -- sort of. I can’t say where or how you’ll see some lore on this yet, or how much you’ll see about it, but in the next three years we should all be able to read a brief something, in some form somewhere, about this feature. As for Nimoar, I’ll add it to my “to do” list.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - Alaundo on 21 Mar 2004 16:54:05
Go to Top of Page

Silas the mariner
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  17:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Silas the mariner's Homepage Send Silas the mariner a Private Message
Thank you very much for your replies, Ed! It's fantastic to hear Realmslore "from the horse's mouth" as it were... :)

Just a quick question (as I know you're working on Waterdeep!);

If you were a first-time DM running an adventure for a group of first-time players, whereabouts in the Realms would you base the adventure, and what kind of encounters would you employ?

On a side note, i'm very excited about Castlemorn! I've read through all of the information I can find and am gagging to hear more about it. Unfortunately, the FFE boards that deal with Castlemore are a tad... stagnant at the moment. Hopefully the April 1st release date won't turn out to be an April Fool's joke :P

It's not the stone you see that trips you... unless you're a complete idiot.

Edited by - Silas the mariner on 21 Mar 2004 17:11:51
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  17:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:

That’s enough for now. I think you get the idea.
THO

Excellent stories, Hooded One.

See, you can take time off from being the "Voice of Ed."

I'm sure I'd love to hear more, but I'm not sure I'd have time to read them all.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:07:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
The Hooded One here (thom, you’re very welcome), with Ed’s latest:

Hi, all.
thom, I’ll definitely get to some of those ‘balls in the air’ (very important because the heart of the ‘home’ Realms campaign has always been interesting NPCs and subplots galore, all unfolding at once, so the PCs are like kids in a candy store, having to choose which goodies they’ll grab for -- and yes, the key is that almost all of the time, THEY get to choose) when the Waterdeep novel is done. Right now, I just can’t spare the time.

Karth, Baerovus didn’t REALLY believe the full extent of Storm’s powers or abilities, lifespan included. He thought she was a very powerful sorceress masquerading as a minstrel, who’d done something for Mystra and gotten rewarded as a result, with all of the tales of the Chosen being exaggerations of the sort his own courtiers spread all the time. The implications you allude to didn’t even occur to him. (Unusual for a king, that. :})
As for the Obarskyr bloodlines pervading the kingdom: the royals haven’t ALL been champion tomcatters, by any means. Azoun IV, however . . .
For their own “see who everybody looks like, because you’ll need to be able to recognize some of them later” reasons, some of the Knights once attended a debutante ball, whereat the beautiful, marriageable young ladies of the nobility were presented at Court.
Lass after gowned lass was presented, paraded by proud fathers out onto the vast cleared area in front of the throne. And lass after lass bore more than a passing resemblance to Azoun himself, one way or another -- until finally Vangerdahast, standing in his usual spot just behind the king’s shoulder, leaned close to murmur mildly (in an oh-so-quiet voice that magically carried to all corners of the vast chamber): “MODERATION, my liege?”

Foxhelm, you pose a rules question better answered by a WotC staffer than by me, but if I was DMing a Realms campaign, there’s no logical way I could accept a priest more powerful than the divine being the priest’s spells come from.
As for the faith of Finder, I view it as largely being an ‘upper room’ cult -- that is, Finder is worshipped by small groups of folk who gather in secluded rooms of private homes owned by believers. I don’t mean that the faith is evil, suppressed or frowned upon, just that it has thus far taken the low-profile ‘we know these divine secrets that the temples of more famous gods have missed’ route. There are some priests of other gods who are angered by ‘false’ beliefs and claims of those who venerate Finder, because it differs from the teachings and beliefs of their own faith. In Waterdeep, worship of Finder occurs at the plinth, in the ‘upper rooms’ I’ve alluded to, and yes, I believe a modest temple of Finder (no larger than the average Trades Ward ‘shop at street level, two floors of living suites above’ building) is being built, and in use for worship in its half-finished state.

So saith Ed. The Hooded One, signing off with just one more stupid/funny death to er, pass on to you all:
A sadistic young wastrel noble (idle young titled man about town) in Suzail by the name of Elendar Torchwinter, who was offended that so much respect was accorded so swiftly and discreetly by his parents to a lone, barefoot woman of cold tongue, ragged-looking black gown, and unfriendly eyes -- causing the temporary displacement of him and his friends from the Torchwinter ‘town house’ they’d been gleefully trashing in a series of host-the-local-highcoin-gals parties.
Inquiring as to this stranger’s identity, Elendar was warned that she was “a queen from somewhere, on the run from some Red Wizards,” and thought it would a real hoot to use the secret passage into the main bedchamber in the dead of night to sneak up on her and rudely slap her awake whilst pretending to be a Red Wizard.
The next morning, the upper floor of the town house was found to have been rather violently transformed into a single chamber with a large window or opening in its outer wall, at the far end of the house from the main bedchamber.
On the facing wall of the mansion next door was a reddish stain shaped like a spreadeagled man -- and Elendar Torchwinter hasn’t been seen since.
The Simbul thanked the Torchwinters for their hospitality, saying she’d slept well and had one VERY satisfying dream. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I second Damian's wish for 'Er in an 'Ood to do Knights character sketches. And the episode of Sharantyr's capture by and liberation from drow of (I assume, what's now known to be) Maerimydra I'd love to hear more about too.

Let's all go easy on Ed till early April, I fear he sometimes answers queries when he doesn't have the time.

Damian, I always read your posts to REALMS-L and we Britishers should try to meet next time Ed makes it across the Atlantic.

I wouldn't count on Castlemorn for 1 April, Jim Ward was still writing bits of it three weeks ago.
http://www.fastforwardgames.com/900/900_65.htm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:13:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
The Hooded One here, with just a quick aside for Silas (I'll have more of Ed's replies soon, promise):
The last I read re. Castlemorn was an expanded "core" book, now to be published in July (maybe June, maybe August). Try check out Mr. Ward's columns on the FFE site (I THINK they're called "900 Words" or something like that). He mentioned something about the new date in the last fiv or six columns somewhere. They're also "good reads" all by themselves.
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  21:32:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Cheers Faraer - here's hoping that Ed and his Good Lady manage to make it over here soon - anyway I will be running stuff for Eurlog at Battlemasters 04 and Gen Con UK so wander over, say Hi and sit down and play!! (beer is optional.... ) same to everyone else! (are there many UK'ers here?? and why not set up a meeting at a con this year??)

Castlemorn - sigh, why does all the good stuff take sooooooo long to come out - like The Haunted Halls Box Set I am still waiting for, and the Complete Dungeon of the Crypt, and the Complete Obarskyr Lineage, and a nice leather bound book about the Border Kingdoms, and more on Lapilayya (sp?), and just WHY cats are lucky in Cormyr, and what Jhaele Silvermane does in her spare time, and the box set on Ylraphon, and whether Khonduil Ammargearth still lives and if so does Tymora still smile on him, and whether Archveult 'Tattercloak' did perish and what has become of his lady love Tlanchess (and more on Dragons Tears please!!) (Question for the Hooded One, did the Knights ever venture into the Vast??) and any tidbits from the Anchorome campaign, and how did the Company of the Silvery Snail get said beast out of Undermountain (and what was it doing in there) and and AND!!!!!!
(you get the point - LOL)

cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I second Damian's wish for 'Er in an 'Ood to do Knights character sketches. And the episode of Sharantyr's capture by and liberation from drow of (I assume, what's now known to be) Maerimydra I'd love to hear more about too.

Let's all go easy on Ed till early April, I fear he sometimes answers queries when he doesn't have the time.

Damian, I always read your posts to REALMS-L and we Britishers should try to meet next time Ed makes it across the Atlantic.

I wouldn't count on Castlemorn for 1 April, Jim Ward was still writing bits of it three weeks ago.
http://www.fastforwardgames.com/900/900_65.htm

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  21:57:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
The Hooded One again, passing on the wisdom of Ed:

Hello, folks. Well met, Ceremony!
I dealt with your requested character sketches for THE SEVEN SISTERS at great length in the book of that name, but let me give VERY brief thumbnails here. The names that follow are those by which the Seven are commonly known.
Storm Silverhand: the Bard of Shadowdale, a warmly affectionate midwife and mother to the children of others who gives shelter, refuge, aid, and advice to many; a guide and tutor to fellow Harpers; a singer and harpist of skill; fearless in battle, and an increasingly cynical strategist when viewing Zhent activities and politics in general
Alustriel: the High Lady of Silverymoon and founder and current head of the Silver Marches, a diplomatic friend and lover to all who by her sunny personality and giving nature has forged the Gem of the North as a city of culture and concord; lacks all sense of shame but has her own dignity that overrides all the ‘free love’ that pervades her court; very like Storm, but aims high (ruling, society, alliances) rather than low (Storm prefers to work with farm wives, orphans, loners, and other individuals); see my Realmslore column on the WotC website for details of her current consort [four parts]
The Simbul: Queen of Aglarond, a wild-eyed, unkempt woman who spends much time flying about the Realms shapechanged or slaughtering Thayans (she’s less than sane in her glee over destroying Red Wizards). Swift to fury and recklessly mighty in her hurlings of magic, she’s currently the lover of Elminster of Shadowdale, who’s trying to mellow her as fast as he can. She plays a part in the action of ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER.
Laeral: the Lady Mage of Waterdeep and consort to Khelben ‘Blackstaff’ Arunsun, Laeral is quieter and more prim than her sisters, but that’s a matter of style more than any prudishness or lack of humour. She prefers the velvet glove, but her tongue can be as sharp as the rest of them when need be. Prefers to teach folk to master magic (working on their characters and foresight for consequences as much as technical mastery of spells) in Blackstaff Tower, and takes a longer, cooler view of life than either Alustriel or Storm. You’ll probably see her VERY briefly in the Waterdeep novel Elaine Cunningham and I are working on right now. See HAND OF FIRE for brief glimpses of her working in concert with Alustriel.
Dove: married to Florin Falconhand of the Knights of Myth Drannor (they have one child, and all three of them enjoy the freedom of Evermeet, and means of teleporting there at will), Dove enjoys the plain life of the warrior, viewing ‘losing oneself in magic’ as a character flaw that can blind one to the simple joys -- and hard truths -- of life in Faerun. She prefers blunt, honest speech to cleverness and deceit, sleeping and living in the open to cities and high fashion and intrigues, and exercise over idleness. If you need help branding or rounding up cattle or raising a roof in Shadowdale, expect to be able to call on Dove -- and don’t be surprised to see her hefting logs unaided, joking and sweating along with everyone else, doffing clothes for comfort just as the men do, and alone wrestling a steer off its feet so it can be roped, branded, or whatever.
Qilue Veladorn: [accent grave missing over the “e” in “Qilue” thanks to my primitive e-mail] the Chosen of both Mystra and Eilistraee, Qilue looks like a drow, albeit with silver hair, and in manner, speech, and expression, is the least friendly and approachable of the Seven (except when compared to an angry Simbul), and is as restless as the Simbul, torn between “her two mothers” and unsure of her destiny and what she should be doing; enjoys human company (see SILVERFALL) but prefers dancing in worship of Eilistraee in moonlit forest with fellow drow more than anything else; half-fears and yet is strangely excited that either Mystra or Eilistraee intends her to wed someone she might not like (she has no idea who, this is just a notion); is most like an adolescent in lack of confidence of all the Seven. In dealings with strangers, will be polite, wary, yet quick to warn of offense (and servile to no one).
Sylune [ditto missing accent]: formerly the Witch of Shadowdale, Sylune perished a few years back, and lives on in a unique undead form: she can materialize as a wraith-like being, or in a seemingly-solid-to-the-eye-but-intangible image of her body, when within a certain distance of a stone (no matter how small the fragment) that was formerly part of the floor of her now-vanished hut in Shadowdale. Many Knights and most of her sisters and a few other persons carry such fragments, or have them stored in various places, and she can ‘jump’ from one to another -- as well as possessing the bodies of the living under certain circumstances. In undeath as in life, Sylune is a kind, motherly healer, midwife, loremistress, and herbalist who delights in learning and knowing lore (not gossip) and freely passing that knowledge on to others. Like Storm, is happiest dealing with individuals -- but like Laeral, can take the long view and see it more clearly than any of her sisters.
If you want to “hear” something of the characters of the Seven, check out my novel SILVERFALL, or my two-part 2003 Spin A Yarn tale on the WotC website, ONLY A WOMAN CAN TAKE THIS SORT OF ABUSE. Each year, this story is concocted from audience suggestions (and this year, that included the title, too), so it tends to be wildly silly, but this year’s offering includes some repartee between some of the Seven that will help you capture their natures when irritated. The Sisters are deeply bonded friends, with only Qilue standing a shade apart, and it shouldn’t be possible for PC or NPC machinations or events in your campaign to make them enemies of each other.
I hope this helps. I wish I had time to provide more.

Regarding Susprina Arkhenneld: we’ve not seen the last of this proud, wary, dangerous lady, but I can say she fled from the Underdark to the surface as a young woman, and is both a sorceress and has training as a mage, making her -- well, let’s say a ‘formidable opponent.’ I’ll add this much more: she’s passed 7th level in one of her classes, but I’ll not be more specific now because of some future plans.

If you were to visit Shadowdale, I’d not expect to find lodging at Elminster’s Tower -- but if you don’t mind spending a night or two in an upper bedroom at Storm Silverhand’s farmhouse, after a pleasant evening of converse with Storm herself, her rather ghostly sister Sylune, and the Old Mage himself, I believe that can be arranged. Please bear in mind that the will of the gods might well bring other house guests onto the scene, and that if you’re unfriendly to Those Who Harp, that unfriendliness may be returned. Moreover, no matter how bitter the weather, few have found Storm’s bedchambers less than welcomely warm. :}

So saith Ed, practically purring in his arch diplomacy. :}
The Hooded One, signing off with a careful lack of comment.
Go to Top of Page

Josh Davids
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  23:15:25  Show Profile  Visit Josh Davids's Homepage Send Josh Davids a Private Message
Wow, get stranded off the comp for a few weeks with very little time to post or respond to emails and look at all I miss.

Whips, lashing, skinning dipping, bikinis and martinis, laying nude on an alter. I might not be an aging gamer but my eyes almost popped out of my head at some of that, quite pleasing till my wife quirked up a brow at me chuckling and blushing while reading the comp. (insert tactful dodge from being brained by a cast iron frying pan)

Though she had a few laughs after reading it too.

Last night read the Darwin awards for the forgotten realms just after barely recovering from a mild flu, god made me laugh and instantly felt a lot better. Specially the rain of heads, I forgot the command word and were the husbands! I would say more but don’t want you to waste your life away typing up those little things, god to be a fly on the wall during those campaigns. I can just see those women of coin approaching some of the war wizards “is that a wand in your belt or just happy to see me?” ok ok, I know bad bad joke, just popped into my head after reading that one. I just hope you didn’t act out the scene in the tower.

You know I would bargain away part of my soul for a copy of that curses of the realms, about the only two I use for curses is “by the burning nine hells”, or “oh snotbubbles”. Meant to be a slightly silly one when someone knows something is going to hurt, and sadly live through it to the mirth of the fellow adventurers.

Ok onto the question I got. It was triggered by something asked about last week, and something that has been burning my curiosity since GenCon 2002 when a friend of mine suggested taking a free form role play character and put him into the realms.

The character was a purple dragon knight during the time of troubles and was on a mission for the crown of Cormyr when he got caught in the creations of a magic dead zone. The DM grinned evilly as that happened and said the character didn’t die, I was wondering what he had in store. The characters eye and hair color changed to stark white though he wasn’t blind. I found out later what happened to him, he was made magic dead, which didn’t sit to well with the guy, he was cut off some all magic, from the very gods themselves needless to say left him a bit bitter specially after Vangy wanted to see what made him this way, he wasn’t to pleased with it. Long story short in time he grew very bitter from everything that happened to him and went venturing to try and either find a cure or get himself killed bravely in battle against the side of evil, enter a priestess of Shar and Shar’s dark designs for him. When I stopped playing him Shar started to get her claws into him, but just barely his high moral code kept him from turning to her worship totally. Would have been nice to continue to playing him ah well.

The question I have is more of a general feeling in the realms towards someone who is a walking magic dead zone(cut off totally from the weave), how would the priests of Mystra treat him, the Church of Mystra and Azuth, and the Chosen of Mystra should they ever chance upon him? Also as confusing as this might be since he is cut off from communicating with all the gods what would happen to him if he should die, stuck in the wall or go to Torm’s realm(he was a worshipper of Torm before he was changed) after he died? I am actually surprised he lived as long as he did unable to heal magically, needless to say when he needed to he was very cautious and when he didn’t care about living he was reckless.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  23:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message
quote:

(My character was one of them, but Florin, Dove, Merith, and Jhessail were fighting elsewhere)... I flashed my breasts at him, and gave him a cheesy grin to boot...

Ah ha! Hooded One, though you may not know it, you've been giving away clues to the character you played in Ed's campaign. You're a female character, and you're not Torm, Rathan, Florin, Dove, Merith, or Jhessail, so that narrows it down quite a bit....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  00:22:58  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

If you want to “hear” something of the characters of the Seven, check out my novel SILVERFALL, or my two-part 2003 Spin A Yarn tale on the WotC website, ONLY A WOMAN CAN TAKE THIS SORT OF ABUSE. Each year, this story is concocted from audience suggestions (and this year, that included the title, too), so it tends to be wildly silly, but this year’s offering includes some repartee between some of the Seven that will help you capture their natures when irritated.

For those interested in reading the story 'Only A Woman Can Take This Sort of Abuse', I'll provide links below so you'll be able to easily find it. Took me a moment or two on Google to track it down.

Story Links:

Part 1:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinyarn2003a

Part 2:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinyarn2003b

And as a personal comment, I heartily recommend 'Silverfall'. It's great, especially if you love the Seven. Which of course I do. :)

Regards,
Simon

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  01:17:08  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Well met again, oh Hooded Lady! I've finished the last feast you served and my appetite is whetted yet again!

Hey Ed! I remember you talking about how when setting up a new campaign, you get the important background stuff ready; and one of the items you mentioned was figuring out coinage issues. So in that spirit I'm running my group in the town of Nathlekh, in the Southern Dragon Coast area. I just wanted to know:

1] Are the coins of Cormyr and Sembia considered the 'regional' standards for the Dragon Coast? That is, are they generally accepted at face value by most merchants PCs would deal with?

2] (I'm assuming yes to #1) Do the coins of Cormyr or Sembia ever have dates on them? I figure Cormyr's would have the current king's face on 1 side, but would they bother to date them? I plan on the PCs finding old coins with an earlier king's face on them, and a mystery as to how/why the coins got where they did.

3] If the PCs find a cache of older, unusual coins, is it reasonable to assume the standard practice is that most merchants won't accept them, and the PCs will have to go to a moneychanger to exchange them for more current coins? Actually, Oh Hooded Lady, you might remember this as well; when the Knights found old hoards, what did you do with all those old coins??

3] Are the tradebars of the various major costers & priakos' of Cormyr & Sembia also considered 'regional' standards? Or is one country's more accepted than the other?

4] Speaking of tradebars, did you ever decide just what size they are? I'm thinking of cutting some styrofoam & spray-painting it to better show the PCs just what they're dealing with-that's why I ask.

5] Were tradebars pretty common in the treasures you laid about for the eager(and I hasten to add, well-deserving) Knights to discover? Hooded Lady, you might remember this one better; did y'all run across a lot of tradebars, and if so, whose were they?

Well I think that's enuff to bother you with for this round; thanks to both of you for any info you can remember!

P.S. Ed, when you're working on the detailed Gods of Castlemorn, IF one of them just happens to be LE, and has a strict hierarchy of priests with exacting rituals, AND he just happens to be a God of, oh, say tyranny, hatred, or strife I'd be willing to bet a lot of us would be very appreciative!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  01:37:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hearken once more to the words of Ed:

For purposes of not unduly upsetting plans afoot at Wizards of the Coast AND so as not to harm play in my own campaign, I’m going to avoid giving a complete roster of the Knights, with levels, et al. What I will do is turn the floor over to our beautiful Hooded Lady, to answer Damian’s and Wooly Rupert’s requests about the characters of a few of the core Knights:

Why, thank you, dear. I’ll just settle myself comfortably in your lap so you can correct me if I go too far, hmm?
What follows is the heart of the Knights, but a little less than a third of its membership, down the years. Absence of information about faiths and about the children of the Knights is at Ed’s request, for both the reasons he gave (set forth above). I’ve done what Ed did with the Seven Sisters, listing people by the form of name they’re most widely known by, and omitting titles, middle names, and all of that.

Florin Falconhand: A tall, handsome, square-jawed charismatic hero of a man. Looks like a king, is ordinarily ‘forceful but quiet’ of manner, and half the women of the Dales swoon at the thought of him. Grows angry rather than fearful when faced with doom. True nobility of character, being far kinder and more understanding than he’s ever had need to be. Favoured of the goddess Mielikki, who practically ordered his marriage to Dove, deeming it “needful.” Our war-leader and envoy. Typical saying: “We must do what is right -- and be very sure as to what ‘right’ is.”

Dove Falconhand: Speaks little, cares little for looks or pretty words. Very close to her husband Florin in character. Often says, “Gently,” which is short for: “Gently, carefully -- do it right, once, rather than thrice badly.” Absent for long periods raising the child she bore Florin, and never hurls her status as a Chosen of Mystra at any of her fellow Knights. Typical saying when among us: “And so?”

Doust Sulwood: Retired from the Knights, a priest now resident in Cormyr. Quiet, reluctant to make decisions, a little aloof, far-sighted. A reluctant former Lord of Shadowdale. Never really the leader among us, but for a long time the central figure who tossed converse, decision-making, and center stage skillfully from Knight to Knight, binding us in friendship. Typical saying: “Let us see more.”

Jelde Asturien (‘Semoor Wolftooth’): Also retired from the Knights to Cormyr, and a priest (the second listed name was his own, his better-known one the naming he chose when confirmed in his faith) of sharp, sarcastic tongue. A cynic and pessimist who was all too seldom wrong in his judgements. Wooed Jhessail with little success, and was always ready for a fight or an adventure. Typical saying: “Colour me unsurprised. As usual.”

Islif Lurelake: A strong, lusty warrior-woman of few words -- also now retired from the Knights to Cormyr, and married to Doust. Usually visits Shadowdale once every spring, and leads local (Eveningstar) patrols of the verges of the Stonelands. No-nonsense, given to deadpan black humour or none (visible) at all. Slow to anger, tends to be amused by insults. Typical saying: “My sword speaks for me.”

Jhessail Silvertree: A gentle, affectionate, merry-spirited wizardess of large-eyed, almost elfin beauty. Longtime beloved and then bride of Merith, hardened into stern and motherly manners by her adventures and motherhood (she and Merith have a child). Subtly (and reluctantly) became the central ‘heart’ of the Knights as Doust withdrew. Typical saying: “Sunrise, sunfall, and as inevitably, here we go again!”

Illistyl: The impish longtime apprentice of Jhessail and sometime lover of Torm, Illistyl is good-natured but has a waspish tongue. Loves adventure, has a swift temper and ‘spirit,’ and has remained petite and rough-and-tumble agile as she’s matured. Once nicknamed (by Jelde) ‘the Dare-me Girl,’ because she so seldom refused his dares, and in doing so impressed him repeatedly. Typical saying: “Really? Deeds, not words: impress these eyes!”

Merith Strongbow: A quiet, darkly handsome elf whose looks have smitten scores of human ladies (including some fellow Knights). Kind and good-natured, he usually hides an impish sense of humour -- but not too deeply. A battlefield strategist (whereas Florin is our war-leader). From time to time, affects a mustache. Capable of devastating mimicry, and has dressed up and acted as a female to lure foes with no shred of embarrassment. Typical saying (spoken with heavy irony): “I see.” This is short for: “I see all too well.”

Lanseril Snowmantle: Casually flippant, sees all and REMEMBERS all, and so has a head as stuffed as any sage. Casual of dress and courtesy, but empathic enough never to be unwittingly rude. Like most druids, happier alone in the wilds than indoors or in crowds -- and spends much time off cleansing the Border Forest of Zhent depredations and damage (his pet project). Always appears calm. Typical sayings are innocent-sounding derisions like: “And your sword just fell out of its scabbard and into him, is that it? Enlighten us all, as far as your own enlightenment crawls with you.”

Mourngrym Amcathra: Of the Amcathra noble clan of Waterdeep and a little awed when he joined the Knights, Mourngrym has retired from us to be Lord of Shadowdale, and is growing daily in commanding airs and confidence. Always darkly handsome and eloquent, highly educated and trained in all courtly graces (singing -- which he’s lousy at -- dancing, writing, oration, fashion sense, all the rest), Mourngrym is revealing a dry sense of humour and far more determination than he had in our collective shadows, as a Knight. Now married to Shaerl Rowanmantle (a noblewoman of Cormyrean birth and Lady of Shadowdale), Mourngrym has a son and is settling down to becoming a stern, just ruler. From time to time, he regards our freedom to go adventuring with open envy. Typical saying: “Justice demands no less.”

Torm: The always-flippant, say-anything, deliberately outrageous thief of the Knights, agile and quick-witted. Also rude, impulsive, and pranksome. Close friends with Rathan, whom he teases mercilessly. Almost as much of a scourge of the ladies as he thinks he is. Delights in swindles of those not his friends, and even more in outwitting everyone. Is notorious throughout the Dragonreach lands, and many folk would love to see his comeuppance -- and even more would like it to be brutal. Typical saying: “Who, me? But of course.”

Rathan: A jovial, apt-to-adopt-a-false-crustiness priest who loves his flagons and is best friends with Torm, whose constant teasing he tolerates good-naturedly (occasionally getting even). Has a fierce sense of what’s right and just, but is otherwise very understanding of different creeds, views, and values. Believes that those who join the Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, or Red Wizards place themselves outside the bounds of deserving fair treatment. Comfortable with commoners, deeply dislikes the airs and assumptions of the wealthy and nobility. Typical saying: “I perceive less than agreement in thee.”

Sharantyr: A shapely, sleek, hot-tempered ranger governed by personal loyalties to her friends above all else. Is hopelessly in love with, but also in awe of, Florin (after all, the man is personally favoured by Mielikki!), and is deeply grateful that the Knights trust her enough to let her fare forth often to adventure on her own. Has a sly sense of humour and isn’t above using her beauty to get her own way. Restlessly searching for her own destiny or ‘proper place’ in the Realms. Except when angered, her converse is often a series of gentle challenges. Typical saying: “Care to be a whit more honest with me?”

Someday we’ll say rather more about the Knights (certainly something as the published Knights trilogy gets underway; until then, the Shadows of the Avatar show the Knights in action, and HAND OF FIRE gives Sharantyr a minor spotlight). The Knights have been neglected in the published Realms for too long, but that’s as we all wanted it.
Ed didn’t want our home game ruined by published revelations, and wanted the accent to be on the wider world, not have the Realms be the backdrop for the exploits of a vitally important center-stage bunch of heroes like the Heroes of the Lance or the Fellowship of the Ring.
And we . . . we still wanted our characters to be ours. Which is one of the reasons Ed delayed in writing a Knights trilogy for so long, and why he’s proceeding so carefully with it now.
THO

P.S. Yes, Damian, we fared forth briefly into the Vast, exactly twice. I’ve passed your dream list on to Ed, who e-groaned, said, “Me, too!” to a lot of it, and promised to get to a few of the easier Realmslore questions in May, during his book signing tour -- when, as he put it, “I should be able to snatch a FEW moments for the Realms. I hope.”
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  01:45:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sorry, thom, re. your Postscript: Ed has finished the Gods of Castlemorn (and details of faiths, too) and they'e different from the Realms. A far smaller pantheon, and a different view of portfolios.
Nice try, though. :}

And to Shadowlord: me? Drop clues? THIS lil' ol' Hooded One?
{dimple}
My, fancy that. And this. And this . . . ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  02:30:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and one little postscript more, Shadowlord: there's a mistake in your listed assumptions.
Just to be fair. Wouldn't want o lead you astray (she said archly). :}
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000