Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  15:03:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Alexander, Ed says thus unto thee:

Great! Everyone should travel, but good travel books will give you photos enough to just ‘see what I mean’ if you want to fix the terrain in mind in a hurry. Yet I say again: go and see England, any chance you get. It was the founder of the Jesuits who said we all inhabit imaginary worlds . . . and whether or not anyone uses the Realms as one of them, the more reality one sees, the more colourful all of the worlds in our minds. Go for it, Alex!

So saith Ed. The Hooded One, signing off. (Hello, Blueblade. Yes, I loved that chapter too.)
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  18:12:08  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
greetings mr greenwood.

what is your favourite FR novel, trilogy? besides those yourself have written of course :D

later -Stig-
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  19:13:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, Elfinblade. Here’s Ed’s reply:

Choosing my favourite Realms novel or Realms trilogy is a bit like choosing between children, or which of my hands or ears or feet I prefer (and yes, I only have two of all of those body parts :}), but I’ll have a try at this. Please bear in mind that this is very hard for me to do, and the answers may change from time to time.
Fave lone novel: HOMELAND by Bob Salvatore, with strong competition from ELFSHADOW by Elaine Cunningham (sentimental fave because she got Waterdeeop so right, and because Arilyn Danilo and Elaith are ALL fun), and a new challenge by THE FORSAKEN HOUSE by Rich Baker (when it’s published, you’ll see why).
Favourite trilogy: again, this is a squeaker, but I’d have to say Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak’s Finder’s Stone trio.
My fave series was the Harpers, but the strength of the writing in the Sembian saga is so strong that it’s taken that crown, for me.
And my fave of the books I co-wrote, thus far, is CORMYR: A NOVEL (though that could soon change, too :}).
Yet please always bear in mind that these are personal preferences and they’re all VERY close races, not clear walkaway winners in any of these cases.

So saith Ed. Your Hooded One has very different choices, because I DO include books by Ed, and think STORMLIGHT is his best-written book, ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER his most fun romp, ELMINSTER IN HELL his most ambitious book (and just a darn good fantasy book period, in any company or competition), SPELLFIRE his most important-to-the-Realms book, the Elminster Saga his most important series and THE most important Realms series so far, and the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy his best Realms trilogy, and winner by a nose over R.A. Salvatore’s trilogy of Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  21:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood, you have been most informative! My thanks (even though you say enough to them). It seems that you have mentioned the strange and enigmatic mages of Ironfang Keep on several occasions. While I dare not expect to get a treastie on them from you, I was wondering if you could help me understand how much of an influence they have on the surrounding area. I always figured that they sat in their iron keep and practiced magic. I never figured that they harvested orcs at all, but they do. I never figured that they delt with dragons in the Vast, but they do. Would you mind shedding some light on what type of events that they do or do not interfere with?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  23:08:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed speaks:

Hi, Lashan. The mages of Ironfang Keep are a real mystery. Originally Ironfang Keep was a "hands off" location because of a planned computer game tie-in that ended up be located somewhere else, but we'd already hinted that it was a mysterious, shunned place whose magic-using inhabitants had to be of VERY great power (to make Mulmaster, Zhentil Keep et al just go away and not keep trying ton conquer them; the inhabitants had to be SO powerful that they could casually 'scare off' Manshoon, Fzoul, and so on). 'Mages who dabbled in plane-hopping activities' was a view advanced later, to support the then-not-yet-quite-published Planescape line. I had always used them as "beast experimenters" who from time to time, at random and totally without warning, would magically 'swoop' and collect dragons, orcs, dragon turtles, terrasques...whatever.
So they remain that sort of mystery today. :}
Go wild!

So saith Ed. hope that reply helps. :}
Go to Top of Page

DarkPsion
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  01:44:30  Show Profile  Visit DarkPsion's Homepage Send DarkPsion a Private Message
I am glad to hear that there is a Knights of Myth Drannor series of books coming out, but saddened to see that they are so far off. I guess I will have to hope my copy of Spellfire holds out till then. Have the stats for the Knights ever been updated? The only one's I know of are 1st edition AD&D from the Grey Boxed Set and Hall of Heroes. I would love to see some updated and expanded versions (including Illistyl's and Merith's psionic levels as well)In 3rd edition psionics, I see her as a Telepath level 1 or 2, with the Psychoanalyst feat and Merith as a Seer. Also in that grey boxed set, the island of Nimbral was desribed as a land of wizard lords with spells that duplicate psionic disciplines. Was there ever an option of it being a land of psions and psionics?
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  01:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage  Send Shadowlord an AOL message Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Hmmm, something tells me you favor the 'Psion' class.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  02:26:01  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DarkPsion

I am glad to hear that there is a Knights of Myth Drannor series of books coming out, but saddened to see that they are so far off. I guess I will have to hope my copy of Spellfire holds out till then. Have the stats for the Knights ever been updated? The only one's I know of are 1st edition AD&D from the Grey Boxed Set and Hall of Heroes. I would love to see some updated and expanded versions (including Illistyl's and Merith's psionic levels as well)In 3rd edition psionics, I see her as a Telepath level 1 or 2, with the Psychoanalyst feat and Merith as a Seer. Also in that grey boxed set, the island of Nimbral was desribed as a land of wizard lords with spells that duplicate psionic disciplines. Was there ever an option of it being a land of psions and psionics?

They were updated in Heroes Lorebook. The Ranger's Three are also stat'd in that book. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  10:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Interesting

Who where the other claiments to Scardale?

As for Scyllua I figure she might have some support from the people living in Scardale town as its in Anarchy and would probably find a strong leader attractive, there would probably be a bit of support from the Evil and maybe neutral merchants..

Who controls the Flaming tower in 1373 do the Zhentrim still control it or did the People of Daggerdale manage to drive them out? Also was the Temple in the Sky a piece of Netherese city?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  13:30:43  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
The Hooded One,

A question for Ed.

Whatever happened to the druidic half-elven Knight of Myth Drannor, Lanseril Snowmantle? He doesn't show up in the 'Shadow of the Avatar' books with the other Knights.

Thanks!

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  14:46:23  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

'Mages who dabbled in plane-hopping activities' was a view advanced later, to support the then-not-yet-quite-published Planescape line.
Now that, is particularly interesting.

Would Mr. Greenwood care to expand upon that sentence a little more...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  16:04:31  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
Hey Ed! Well met! It's a pleasure AND a privilege to get to ask you questions! Right now, in the sincerest form of flattery <sg> I'm 'lifting' the ENTIRE set of villains from Halls of the High King (IMHO still one of the >best< modules you ever wrote (along with the original Undermountain) and making them the main bad guys in my upcoming campaign, based in the town of Nathlekh near the Gulthmere forest.

What I wanted to ask you for was some of your technques and styles of running the Banites and the Zhentarim in the 'home' campaign. More specifically, and without violating your NDAs or tying other developer's hands in the future, can you tell me:

1] did your banite clerics wear distinctive clothing, colors, symbols etc?
2] did they use any specific weapons over others (maces seem to reign in Halls of the High King)?
3] did they have symbols of rank that PCs might figure out (i.e. all 'clerics of the 5th order [5th level] wear a purple cummerbund <eg>) and thus be better prepared?
4] what were the favorite spells you had you clerics use against the Knight?

What I'm trying to get is a 'feel' for your banites, because I want them to 'stand out' when my PCs meet them. I've <always> loved Bane (being a LN w/ 'slight' LE tendencies DM <g>) and his hierarchy of clerics and wizards.

And for you, oh wise & leggy Hooded One <g>, again without violating any NDAs, could you tell us of some of your battles with the Banites, their tactics, and how you overcame them? Were the Knights constantly wrapped up in (2nd Ed) mystic lash spells, slogging through hordes of helmed horrors, or fighting dark naga & banelars left and right? I know, that may be more 'hack-n-slash' than you generally like, but my upcoming group is a little more interested in that aspect of D&D right now (I'll work on getting them liking roleplaying more as we develop the game!)

Thanks again for the opportunity Ed, and for >all< the great stuff you've written over the years; and thanks to you, gracious lady for being a channel into Ed...(hmm "Being Ed Greenwood" - sounds like a <great< movie to me! <g>)

thom
thomas@jtbs.net
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  17:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
Good enough! Thanks. Now, I was hoping you could settle something about Tantras that I have not been able to resolve. There are three factions of merchant-nobles in Tantras, as listed in the FR Adventures book (a great book, by the way). How are the factions divided up? Are they by industry? An example would be that one cabal of nobles is involved all in fishing and sea shipping. Another faction is heavily involved in the wool industry and some livestock, while the third faction is economically vested in the crafts trade. So, are the merchant-noble factions divided by economic interest?

The other model that I have developed is that all three factions are invested in all forms of industry and act as competitors. In other words, The Aldimers are involved in fishing and sea shipping, while the Mathlins are involved in the wool industry, and lastly the Baraedin are involved in wood-working and craft oriented products. The other main factions are similiarly spread out to form almost a competing company and compete at all levels with the others.

In other words, are the factions grouped due to tied economic interests or are they banded together to compete against other economic blocks? I can see arguments for both, but haven't been able to make up my mind as to which I prefer. Any clarification is great.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  17:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thom

Hey Ed! Well met! It's a pleasure AND a privilege to get to ask you questions! Right now, in the sincerest form of flattery <sg> I'm 'lifting' the ENTIRE set of villains from Halls of the High King (IMHO still one of the >best< modules you ever wrote (along with the original Undermountain) and making them the main bad guys in my upcoming campaign, based in the town of Nathlekh near the Gulthmere forest.

I'd have to agree that Halls of the High King was a lot of fun, though Ruins of Undermountain (and what it spawned) certainly maxed out the usual Greenwood "bang for your buck" ratio.

quote:
What I wanted to ask you for was some of your technques and styles of running the Banites and the Zhentarim in the 'home' campaign. More specifically, and without violating your NDAs or tying other developer's hands in the future, can you tell me:

1] did your banite clerics wear distinctive clothing, colors, symbols etc?
2] did they use any specific weapons over others (maces seem to reign in Halls of the High King)?
3] did they have symbols of rank that PCs might figure out (i.e. all 'clerics of the 5th order [5th level] wear a purple cummerbund <eg>) and thus be better prepared?
4] what were the favorite spells you had you clerics use against the Knight?

What I'm trying to get is a 'feel' for your banites, because I want them to 'stand out' when my PCs meet them. I've <always> loved Bane (being a LN w/ 'slight' LE tendencies DM <g>) and his hierarchy of clerics and wizards.

Thom, I know I'm not Ed, but this query sparked old ideas in my head and I thought I'd share.

While on staff at TSR/WOtC, I left the gods well enough alone because they were really more to Eric's & Julia's interests. Still, I had some ideas that never got into print. One of them was a disinformation and/or embarrassment campaign that took place among the Cyricist and Banite clergies.

The only good thing a Cyricist has over the average Banite is a sense of humor. Thus, numerous satires came into being to embarrass Bane and Bane's faithful in the years between Cyric's rise and the present day. Cyricists took old Banite legends and bastardized them into bawdy farces. Some even went so far as to create corrupted tomes of slightly edited/altered religious tracts (and get wizards to magically age them and/or hide them to give them some artificial gravitas) and then "reveal the falsehoods" in the faith & ritual of the current church.

My favorite of these "heretic" texts is "On the Care and Feeding of Banites," by Melthras of Semphar (allegedly written in 1285 DR with copies at Candlekeep and the Heralds' Holdfast). The date is suspect, as most attribute Cyricism as the source of most Bane-bashing, though a few historians talk of previous faiths or brave/foolish souls who sought to reduce the Black God's power by ridicule even before his first Fall. Still, the Oghma-worshiping Melthras, as a matter of record, died soon after the book's writing. He was found nailed to the ceiling beams of his rooming house, his heart and liver removed and his skin seared with multiple brands of Bane's hand.

As in all things historical for the Realms, there's as much confusion as confirmation. And Elminster simply gives up a sly smile, puffs on his pipe, and blows a smoke-shape of a grinning kobold as comment.

Steven Schend
Who thinks it's time to add a few more titles to that old book list he did years ago re: Candlekeep's shelves
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  19:49:12  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
THANKS for the input Steve - that's a wicked idea! It's really good to have you back in the Realms. And I definitely want to see that list of tomes expanded!

thom
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:26:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Presenting the words of Ed once more:

Well met, DarkPsion. Yes, part of me wants to publish two Knights novels a year, treating their careers as an endless saga -- and then again, there’s this other part of me that worries I’m overloaded right now, and however would I meet THOSE deadlines, too?
As far as I know, stats for the Knights have never been updated in print beyond those places you’re already familiar with, now that Kuje31 has swooped in done the swift Realmslore note for you (mentioned elsewhere, yes: FRS1 The Dalelands, Volo’s, but not really updated). My ‘home’ campaign still uses 2nd Edition (because we vote on such things, and the majority of my players prefer 2nd Ed), so we’ve never ‘recast’ things for the new rules.
As for Nimbral, well, I strongly suspect you’ll be seeing more about this place soon, but with an accent more on the place and less on magic or psionics or treasure.

So saith Ed. The Hooded One fondly remembers her in-character visit to Nimbral, and meeting a certain unicorn there . . . (happy sigh of remembrance)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:32:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Dargoth, the Hooded One once more reveals unto thee the words of Ed:

Okay, let me deal with the smaller matters first: officially, we don’t know who controls the Flaming Tower now. In the ‘home’ Realms campaign, the Knights of Myth Drannor slew the giants who were dwelling there as a Zhent garrison, and then returned several times to “harvest Zhents” (of later garrisons) until the Zhents decided it would be more prudent to just withdraw.
The large, unlovely levitating rock whose hollowed-out interior was The Temple In The Sky was also scoured by the Knights, though again, several beholders in succession took up residence and had to be slain. The Zhents see this site as far more strategically important, and are very reluctant to relinquish it. The magic that causes it to ‘stay up’ is almost certainly Netherese, given its location, but could possibly be even more ancient. What is certain is that no one alive today has quite deciphered what that magic is (it resists normal dispels, attempts to manipulate the Weave in its location, and so on -- and utterly prevents the operation of all translocation [teleport, dimension door, etc.] spells within its confines and between any part of it, including the outer surface of the rock, and anywhere else in the known planes). Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice might say. :}
And now the biggie: Scyllua, Scardale, and all that. I agree that merchants would welcome stability and a strong leader, but I don’t think many of them, regardless of alignment, would want “another tyrant fresh out of Zhentil Keep,” not only because all Dale folk (merchants desiring to engage in unfettered trade in particular) dislike harsh, all-seeing, and competent authority, but also because they’d expect her to lead them straight into another war -- which for them simply means eventual impoverishment, destruction of their homes and wares and other property, and death. With all the wealth of Sembia pitted against anyone rising in Scardale who isn’t a weak ruler or a puppet for Sembian interests, they can’t see her as the ultimate victor in any dispute: Sembia will just go on hurling mercenaries at her (adventuring bands, Thayan Red Wizards willing to do this to establish another trading enclave, whomever). And with the ruler of Hillsfar not wanting Sembia to gain any greater influence in Scardale, the dale would inevitably get caught between the hammer and the anvil in any dispute between them, with disastrous results.
To put it plainly, the folk of Scardale are tired of occupation and fear and knife-wielding intrigues, but they’re even more fed up with tyrannical rulers of any sort. Most of them would love Faerun to be a place where there were no rulers at all, and everyone could just get on with the business of working, eating well, and getting slowly wealthier, with intrigues just being spicy gossip to wash down one’s evening ale with.
Yet of course we all know that’s not the case, so: let’s have a look at those other claimants. :} Anyone can, of course, feel free to create their own characters to add to this list; just consider this one mine.
--Maukthyn Harthin (NE hm Rog2/Exp6): a sly, swift-tongued, ugly man from a family that long ago branched off from the Aumersair clan (Lashan’s bloodline), this longtime investor in Scardale spends most of his time in the capital of Sembia. He’s grown VERY wealthy (enough to hire agents and spies in plenty, who are active throughout the Dalelands), and is said to trade in drugs and poisons (via some pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars), as well as gemstones stolen from the Moonsea North, that pass into Sembia through Scardale and other ports (Scardale being his favorite because it avoids all Sembian scrutiny and taxation, and the Sembian port of Yhaunn being his fallback).
--Imbar Darthaun (CN hm Rgr4): a handsome, charismatic adventurer who recalls the more carefree Scardale of his youth (he’s almost reached forty summers in age, though he looks and acts half of that), and would like to ‘retire’ to rule a cleansed, more peaceful dale in which Sembia, Cormyr, Hillsfar, and Tantras would together establish law and administer justice, leaving Scardale as a ‘free port’ (that he could enjoy all the ladies of, more than one dark rumor insists). Darthaun can call on some longtime adventuring companions and allies (most of whom see conquering Scardale as one last, wild challenge that could win them a home for their declining years, and perhaps trade-riches with which to enjoy those graying seasons).
--Jamrithra Sparmeth (CG hf Wiz2): this quiet, no-nonsense woman is plain, studious, and dignified. She came to Scardale only a summer ago, but claims descent from the lords of Scardale of old (about which, thanks to the tales told by some Aumersairs, there’s much dispute). Some old local beliefs claim that the olden-times rulers of Scardale trained monsters, bred monsters to be even more horrific, and even bred WITH monsters -- and because Jamrithra is known to study the Art, some folk of Scardale believe she’s one more “monster-tamer who’ll terrorize us all, once she builds herself a tower and stocks it with her pet beasts.” Those who’ve had more to do with Jamrithra doubt she has the character or the necessary magic to do anything of the kind, but say her temper and habit of insisting others obey her whims may well keep her from ever ruling the dale, even if Hillsfar and Sembia agreed tomorrow-morn that they’ll both support her (which of course is very far from ever befalling).
--Peldra Ammarask (LN hf P3, of Tyr): this bewitchingly beautiful, petite woman is both blessed and cursed with childlike good looks, which makes many folk want to mother or humor her, rather than seriously considering her for ever holding any position of authority. She arrived from Cormyr earlier this year, and is widely seen as a “dunderhead” agent for that realm (most folk of Scardale are certain the Forest Kingdom has designs on Scardale [“They’ll take Mistledale, and then Battledale, and then US!”], and believe the Cormyreans are up to something subtle and long-term and devastating, but are sending ambitious little emptyheads like Ammarask in the meantime, mainly to keep anyone else from establishing a firm rule over Scardale). Peldra is, in truth, far from an emptyhead, and undertook to ‘straighten out’ Scardale after a suggestion from a senior priest of Tyr, who said he saw this both as a test of her and of great benefit to the dale, because “all places should know the security of clear, firm law and the alert, tireless enforcing of that law.”
--Sturtle Telarandon (LN hm Exp4): this pompous, drenched-in-visible-wealth merchant of Sembia would love to turn Scardale into his personal fiefdom. Hailing from Urmlaspyr, he has made fortunes upon fortunes, and after sending some agents in to buy everything in sight, can’t believe that so many folk in Scardale are so stubborn as to not accept his blandishments and just clear out, so he can tear down their hovels and build grand mansions for all of his friends and toadies. Said stubborn locals fear that Telarandon is so beholden to other Sembian investors and trade-allies that every last one of them would be sent packing -- and, as a rule, they neither like nor trust rich Sembians. The clack in Scardale is that Telarandon is quite likely to give them a wagon full of gold and an empty one to pile all their belongings onto, let them start out of town, and then accuse them of stealing the wagons and all the coins and swording them on the spot (claiming both loaded wagons as his own).
These five are just the most vigorously visible current claimants. Someone like Torm of the Knights would be just brim-gleeful watching the fun of all the unfolding scheming, but a lot of the folk of Scardale (who can’t escape being caught in the middle of it, day after night) fervently wish and pray that all of these “ambitious daggers” would just GO AWAY.

Wow. No wonder Ed had so many NPCs discourage us from getting caught up in the messes of Scardale. He’s right about Torm, and Victor would no doubt have dragged us all into protecting Scardale, as well as Shadowdale, Myth Drannor, and most of Mistledale.
A relieved Hooded One, signing off. :}
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:34:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, simontrinity. To you, Ed of the Greenwood doth make this reply:

Lanseril Snowmantle, the druid of the Knights of Myth Drannor (played by Ian Hunter, the first Lorelord of the Realms), was off in the Border Forest during the Time of Troubles, already engaged in a massive personal undertaking to cleanse that wood of the damages being done to it by the Zhents (who’d gotten tired of stopping arrows and similar attacks during their attempts to carve a trade-road right through the forest, to Anauroch, and released divers monsters into the place, to slaughter its inhabitants -- as well as setting many fires). So Lanseril was off busy being a druid at the time; as I’ve said before, my original players are all GOOD roleplayers. This fit in neatly with the TSR editors, who wanted me to keep the number of characters ‘in play’ in my novels as small as possible.

So saith Ed, and there you have it, etc. Exit the Hooded One for only a short time, because there’s another Ed reply to post.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:38:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
To The Sage, Ed replies thus:

Note the Shadow adept suggestion in the FRCS. This is probably not far off the mark, though I’d like to also retain my own views of some of the activities of the mages of Ironfang Keep: that they magically captured all sorts of monsters and used them as partially-magically-controlled forces in attempts to control various gates (portals) and regions around them in various planes. I see these mysterious wizards as not being interested in conquest or rulership, but rather in controlling Area A to get gems and gold with which to purchase (through servitor creatures) influence and substances useful in spell research from Area B.
Their true nature, their hierarchy, and the extent to which they act in unison or struggle amongst themselves must all, for the nonce, remain . . . mysterious. :}

Gosh, I can HEAR his light, mocking DM’s voice, there. I recall once, during a play session, the most beautiful among us female players (not me) responded to such a tone from Ed by getting up, shimmying over to his table, leaning over and starting to unbutton her blouse, and inquiring throatily, “You’ll not reveal a little more? Even if * I * reveal a little more?”
Whereupon Ed got up, minced around the table to grind his pelvis against hers, undid a few buttons of HIS shirt, leaned forward until they were nose to nose, and replied throatily: “No. But thanks for trying.”
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage  Send Shadowlord an AOL message Send Shadowlord a Private Message
Very interesting.....

So Nimbral is soon to be featured in a novel or somesuch in some way then?

And I too have a few questions for Ed.

1) How did the idea of Faerûn come to you? Did you just wake up one morning and say, 'I'm going to create a fantasy setting', or did you think it out carefully, plan every last detail, etc...

2) Of all the FR races, which is/are your personal favorite(s)?

This part of the post is for the Hooded One:
I say you deserve a break. Diligently serving as a go-between for Ed and the scribes must be hard work. I say, take a break from being the voice of Ed, and be 'The Hooded One' for a while...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:45:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, Shadowlord. That's very nice of you. I shall.
Besides, Ed appended a note to his last e-message: "I'm really going to be slowing down on the answers for a time, Sweethips. Elaine and I are really starting to go at it hot and heavy."
Now, let's all avoid the OBVIOUS comments on that last line, shall we? :}
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:49:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Thank you, Shadowlord. That's very nice of you. I shall.
Besides, Ed appended a note to his last e-message: "I'm really going to be slowing down on the answers for a time, Sweethips. Elaine and I are really starting to go at it hot and heavy."
Now, let's all avoid the OBVIOUS comments on that last line, shall we? :}

hehehehehe

Ed, Ive been harping on about this numerous times over the months here at Candlekeep and another topic surfaced just recently to remind me.... thus, I thought id ask again here in the hope that a little light can be shed and allow me to sleep at night ....

...What of the Tree of Life? Nothing has been mentioned (to my knowledge) since Evermeet:Island of Elves, and a titbit in the FRCS (IIRC). Is there any hope? Where did it end up? Are we to see a new elven land devlop anytime soon?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 16 Mar 2004 22:50:05
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  03:10:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. The Hooded One, passing on Ed’s latest reply:

Well met, Thom. You’re very welcome, and thanks for calling it “great stuff.” I’ve had a blast crafting it, always, and hope to do so for years to come.
1. In the field: black cloaks with red “fist of Bane” in the center back (below and between shoulder-blades), with a breastplate of the same colors and decoration over black armor when going into battle.
Casual dress: anything (dark clothing preferred), with a fist of Bane [in those days, a closed human right hand, wearing a gauntlet, with fingers towards the viewer and spikes on the knuckles, with three drops of blood depending from the horizontally-severed wrist; note that this has since changed into a bare hand with fires or lightnings leaking from between the fingers] worn either as a hidden locket, somewhere on the body (if concealment was absolutely necessary), or (preferred) with a black sash tied at the hip so the red fist of Bane design is clearly visible.
In the temple: varied from temple to temple (poorer rural temples could get pretty casual, sticking to black cloaks as a minimum). Most elaborate height of ceremonial clothing, under the High Imperceptor’s rule: supreme priest in temple: all black/senior officers of temple: black with purple sashes/senior priests: black with red sashes/upperpriests: black with fiery orange sashes/general clergy: black, with fist of Bane gorgets denoting rank (schemes varied, but generally followed the rule of more fists meant higher rank, usually from 2nd through 7th level)/newly-accepted priests [ = 1st level]: black tunic over crimson breeches/novices: crimson robes/lay brothers: orange robes (newly-accepted priests and lower allowed to wear only black half-cloaks, not full black cloaks as other ranks).
All priests of Bane carried at least two consecrated holy symbols of Bane at all times: in a hollow boot-heel and mounted on their belts (when undressed, at least one symbol, worn on neck-chain).
2. Maces: all priests of Bane (magical weapons for highest ranks). Morningstars: temple officers, priests of any rank assigned to doorguard duties. Whips and Spiked Lashes: upperpriests. Novices and lay brothers: hammers and cudgels.
3. See my answer to 1.
4. Stationary defence: Hammerguard, a variant of Evard’s black tentacles wherein tentacles didn’t grasp, but wielded maces (actually part of the spell, not actual weapons that could be detached from the tentacle). Battle: Flailing Cloud (moving by caster’s will cloud of darkness that bludgeons all creatures it touches [except those bearing a holy symbol of Bane], Mystic Lash, Flame Blade (black flames variant, same effects). These are the favourites, but Banites could wield almost any spell. Higher level priests always carried some formidable cause wounds spells, and the ‘real bad ones’ usually had flame strikes AND blade barriers ready to go.
Quiet confidence, and cold, clipped speech (whispers dripping with menace) was the preferred “style” among most Banites; swaggering, shouting and ranting were for lesser clergy of lesser gods. Note that in the Zhentil Keep mix, the clergy and the wizards tended to loathe each other, the beholders keeping both groups from erupting into open strife by “making examples” of those individuals who did. (This hatred wasn’t divinely-dictated: in Darkhold and other outposts, certain clerics and wizards who had to work together daily became firm friends, or even lovers.)
Have fun! ;}

So saith Ed. My, but I’m feeling all tingly, being called a “channel into Ed.” Let me just pass over THAT mental image and try to answer your questions. :} Hmmm. We Knights fought lots of helmed horrors, dark nagas, and banelar, but usually only when creeping into their lairs or Zhent strongholds (helmed horrors were used as “terrorize all commoners” doorwardens for Zhent caches in caves and old tombs, in Zhent strongholds, and in naga lairs. When encountering Banite priests in the open (i.e. a road patrol near Voonlar or Yulash), we usually faced twenty or so Zhentilar warriors, commanded by a priest (sometimes with an underling) and a wizard of lesser power than the priest (sometimes accompanied by an apprentice). If neither priest nor wizard had a lackey, they’d instead be accompanied by at least one mounted crossbowman of skill.
We invaded many Banite temples, shrines, and covert bases, of course, and generally found more priests there (especially outside the large temples, the Banites seemed never to work in groups of less than five or six, and often had ‘errand runners,’ too).
And we did our share of hacking and slashing, though it became almost a party prank to dress up in the garments of priests or wizards we’d slain and go around issuing orders that would direct other Banites into traps or elf ambushes (or just order them to camp on a road on a foggy night, knowing a smugglers’ caravan was rushing along that road with lanterns out :}).
And yes, get them more interested in the roleplaying. Toss lots of mysteries at them, from missing people to why that dead Banite is wearing your sister’s face to what sort of treasure is this weird broken thing, and what happens when I push THIS?
(Answer: no, not an explosion or a genie popping out, but a ghostly face coalesces, speaks a cryptic message, and then races away like a comet into the night, obviously to deliver that message to someone else -- but who? And now what?)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  03:12:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again. The Hooded One here, passing on another Ed answer:

Lashan, those factions should all be dabbling in everything, rather than specializing in and cornering one industry versus another. Covert competition on all fronts, so that a few bewildered independents and visitors can get caught in the middle and used by various ‘sides’ without things erupting into open civil war inside the city walls. Bribes, changing sides, double agents, all of that. Pitting the lumbermen against the dockers and suchlike would last about a month before Tantras would become a battlefield and then a mass graveyard. (Some in Calaunt might of course argue that that would be an improvement. :})

So saith Ed, ye social engineere. The Hooded One, now seeking a warm bath and my laptop to catch up on Ed’s next missive . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  03:13:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
So here I am again, Shadowlord, still toiling for Ed. Yes, ye olde slavedriving lash comes down on my bared hide again and again; ’tis a good thing I like it. :} Tell you what: you can flog me, too, for not just being myself.
In the meantime, Ed speaketh:

Why, it certainly SOUNDS like Nimbral will soon appear in something, somehow, but I can neither confirm nor deny . . . :}
As for the tale of how I created the Realms, well, one more time: me writing fantasy stories featuring the fat merchant Mirt, travelling along the Sword Coast from city to city working swindles and suchlike. (Following Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd & Gray Mouser tales in FANTASTIC, which are self-contained tales but share the same setting, and if you read enough of them, you can piece together ‘the world behind the action.’)
Expand outwards from there (if this ship is carrying this and taking on a cargo of that, and these caravan wagons ditto, then in Distant Place X they must have a lot of this to sell and need a lot of that, whereas in Distant Place Y they need textiles but can spare timber, and here in this port folk obviously need . . . and so on. So then it gets thought out carefully, climate and trade winds and currents and geology and all -- and then TSR publishes it and entire continents later get grafted on and many minor changes are made and it may no longer look quite so cohesive and planned.
There. That’s the whirlwind reply. :}
My favourite ‘deployable and fiction fodder’ race would have to be humans, with elves as the ‘gleam and glitter race’ to write about. I have a soft spot for the tomb tappers and wingless wonders (of the intelligent races among the literally hundreds of monsters I’ve created, down the years). I think the most neglected race of the ‘big intelligent core races’ is the gnomes, with halflings not far behind -- and I think the most neglected races with intriguing potential are the dragons.
My two personal favourites of my own racial creations are the Malaugrym and the weredragons. Someday I’ll do a novel that includes a malaugrym/weredragon romance and pairing . . . heh-heh.

Oh, NOW you’ve done it! Happy dancing hobgoblins, Shadowlord, d’you know what he’s emailing me? “Diabolical glee” just about covers it. Yeesh! As if the Knights didn’t have ENOUGH problems!
Exeunt, muttering (and checking quickly behind self).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000