Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Kameron M Franklin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  23:37:38  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
if you massage a combination of the Latin for sky and bolt, you come up more or less with "kaeliss", which sounds not unlike the draconic for storm.

That's freaky Zyx! There's a background character in my book named Kaeliss! I just came up with it off the top of my head. Now if Kam uses it I'll have to work in how she got named by a dragon, lol!

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  09:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis
That's freaky Zyx! There's a background character in my book named Kaeliss! I just came up with it off the top of my head. Now if Kam uses it I'll have to work in how she got named by a dragon, lol!

That's funny. Whenever I write something, I do a Google search to make sure all of my characters and places have original names, or at least names with no easy reference to a fantasy book. It seems to be necessary these days, what with so many great minds thinking alike.

Actually, I think it might be kinda cool if your character were named for the Draconic for lightening, depending on who she is of course. Maybe her father was a scholar.

Edited by - Erin Tettensor on 21 Jun 2004 09:25:13
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  06:11:44  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's funny. Whenever I write something, I do a Google search to make sure all of my characters and places have original names, or at least names with no easy reference to a fantasy book. It seems to be necessary these days, what with so many great minds thinking alike.

Yeah for the most part I do make sure my character names aren't already out there somewhere. Kaeliss is a significant character, but a very minor one. Even if there were a reason she had a Draconic inspired name, I'd really have to muscle in that explanation and it might be a bit "off-track" to consider that. I'm already on a tight word count as it is, LOL!

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  09:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Franklin, I just viewed the Eberron open-calling and I saw that it said you had to be eighteen or older to send in a submission. It didn't say that for the MOP open-calling. What's going on? Now, I can't send anything in.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  16:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure you had to be 18 for MoP, if for no other reason than to be able to sign the release forms. I could be wrong. I don't remember all the rules exactly.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Optihut
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  19:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Optihut's Homepage Send Optihut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC forgot to include the legal disclaimer at first for the MoP open call. My interpretation is that even for the MoP open call you had to be at least 18 years old, but just like the legal release, it wasn't mentioned on the contest page.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  19:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those interested, www.silven.com has published a follow-up interview with me in the September edition of their free e-zine, The Silven Trumpeter. I was actually allowed to talk about some of the characters from Maiden in this one, so enjoy.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  06:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
For those interested, www.silven.com has published a follow-up interview with me in the September edition of their free e-zine, The Silven Trumpeter. I was actually allowed to talk about some of the characters from Maiden in this one, so enjoy.

That is, Kameron M Franklin has the cover story, with legends Ed Greenwood & David Carrdine (Kill Bill 1&2) getting a little in there as well.

Ed Gentry & Harley Stroh also squeezed their way in too.

;)
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2004 :  20:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those keeping track, I turned in the first draft of Maiden of Pain to Phil Athans this morning. I'll be getting his revision notes on my short story for RotD2 in the next couple days.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2004 :  08:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

For those keeping track, I turned in the first draft of Maiden of Pain to Phil Athans this morning. I'll be getting his revision notes on my short story for RotD2 in the next couple days.

No No No! When will these authors ever learn.... you send your drafts over to us here at Candlekeep, then we read it with delight, THEN you send it over to WotC!

Excellent, looking forward it

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  02:11:20  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be gentle with him Rad. He is still learning the ropes, being a new author and all.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  15:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got the back revision notes on Maiden. Phil "let slip" that chapter 4 of the novel will be included as a teaser in the Realms of the Dragons 2 anthology.

Go to Top of Page

Milil
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  19:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Milil's Homepage Send Milil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the submissions agreement says that everything becomes their property, and yes, they are now looking at people with degrees (when they started working on BG and BG2 it wasn't that big a deal). It doesn't really matter what your degree is in, it seems to be that they are looking for the maturity that comes with having to go through at least 4 years of school and finishing something that you start. (I've got a few friends who work their and have tried to get a job there myself about 4 years ago.)

quote:

I think it would be considered fanfic, as Aribeth was created by BioWare and Neverwinter is, of course, a part of FR. I believe the submission agreement basically said that anything sent to BioWare would be considered their property.

As to why I wasn't chosen for the designer position, my sources told me that they look for people with degrees and I was still two years from completing mine at the time. No official reason was given, though.

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  03:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, the book is done and in the hands of the copyeditor. I was just told that the cover can be seen on Amazon. Thought I'd pass that on.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  04:08:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the book is done and in the hands of the copyeditor. I was just told that the cover can be seen on Amazon. Thought I'd pass that on.

Here is a direct link that will hopefully work. The cover is very graphic. Is that a certain character that is shown on the cover?
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  05:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that is the protagonist, Ythnel, who has a distinctive tattoo on the left side of her scalp.

Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  19:53:14  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Franklin,

Are you pleased with the cover art? I felt the artist did a tremendous job on LoP and MothN, but this cover art seems . . . what is the right word, odd perhaps? I don't know, I probably need to read to book to understand it. Anyway, what is your unbiased (if you can indeed give it) opinion of the cover?
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  21:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first impression is that it captures the spirit of the book and the character very well. It is not a literal translation of any scene from the book however. I had no input on it, but am pleased.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  10:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice cover!

Kameron, were you given specific taboo's and areas which you could not use in the novel? Obviously, I don't know how much of Loviatar's priests are covered in the novel and if any graphic scenes are written, but I assume that WotC would have stated what you are permitted to use in the way of descriptions or torture and pain ("acts of Loviatar", if you will)?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  17:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just the generic "PG-13" line. There are actually two pretty graphic torture scenes that happen in chapter 4. Phil was so pleased with those that he's using the chapter as a teaser that will appear in Realms of the Dragons II.

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  17:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up that I've finished the redesign of my website. The new Library page lists both FR books I'm involved with. The Maiden of Pain entry includes a nice teaser Phil let me post.

Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  12:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read your blog and since I'm not a member(yet) at your forums, I thought I just post the question here.

You mentioned a new writing project. Is this Forgotten Realms material or something else?
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  16:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a couple "new" projects on my plate. The first is actually an old one, but I'm finally getting back to it, and that is my own fantasy novel, the first of seven I have planned in this particular world. The other project I am not at liberty to speak about for the time being.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  18:42:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The other project I am not at liberty to speak about for the time being.

Did the Powers that Be get specific and state "speak?" Could you perhaps type about it? Hum? Charades?
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  20:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the word "post" was mentioned as well. I was probably walking the line pretty closely as it was with the brief reference on my blog.

Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  00:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww, man what harm could telling us just a little bit do?

How about you accidentally let it slip?

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 05 Mar 2005 00:38:47
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  22:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those who are interested, I posted on my blog the last two paragraphs that got cut from the first draft of my short story "How Burlmarr Saved the Unseen Protector" in the Realms of the Dragons II anthology. It doesn't really change the story, but it did provide some relief from the tension built up by the climax.

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 06 May 2005 22:29:21
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  00:35:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those who are interested, I posted on my blog the last two paragraphs that got cut from the first draft of my short story "How Burlmarr Saved the Unseen Protector" in the Realms of the Dragons II anthology. It doesn't really change the story, but it did provide some relief from the tension built up by the climax.

Thanks for posting that online. I finished the story earlier today and enjoyed it. However, I feel that ending would have been an even better one for this tale . Regardless, thank you for writing something that was entertaining for this Realms fan to read.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  00:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Thanks for posting that online. I finished the story earlier today and enjoyed it. However, I feel that ending would have been an even better one for this tale . Regardless, thank you for writing something that was entertaining for this Realms fan to read.

Glad you liked it. It seems folks are split on which ending they like better. My personal preference is with the extra two paragraphs, though I agree with Phil's reasons behind cutting them.

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 07 May 2005 00:49:18
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  21:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kameron,

Let me be the firt to congrulate you on a great story!
I just finished Maiden of Pain, and I have to say it was "quite the read" there were allot of elements about the book that I really enjoyed. I must tell you I never thought I would like a character who was a priestess of Lovitar, the whole pain and pleasure thing was very well written.

I do have one question though *SPOILER ALERT*------------------------------------------------------------*

*SPOILER ALERT*-------------------------------******
How is it that Misterss Yenael actually manipulated events in Lutchcheq so that it would play out the way it did regarding the Karanock's, how could she have known what would happen or influence it?

Again thanks for the book I really enjoyed it!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000