Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Kameron M Franklin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  16:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, we *are* an active bunch, aren't we? I haven't even left the forum yet!

(I would use italics instead of the annoying asterisks, but I can't figure out how.)

Are we allowed to discuss which dragons we're writing about? I wonder if they stuck to the original rule about no doubling up... That might be kinda tough considering that there are now two anthologies...

Edited by - Erin Tettensor on 13 Apr 2004 16:54:36
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  17:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zyx

(I would use italics instead of the annoying asterisks, but I can't figure out how.)

Well met

Simply select the text which you wish to format and click the "I" button on the toolbar of the form. This will put italic tags ([ i ]text[ /i ]) around the text.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  17:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Because this is a public forum, I'd use the general rule of thumb of running by your editor any disclosures of story information before posting them. However, if you'd like to email me (or any other author) directly to discuss writing, please feel free. :)

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  20:40:01  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are we allowed to discuss which dragons we're writing about? I wonder if they stuck to the original rule about no doubling up... That might be kinda tough considering that there are now two anthologies...

I've been kinda' wondering that myself, but if they continue with the no doubling rule I think it'll make the book pretty interesting. An entire anthology on the more "exotic" dragons would definitely set it apart.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

mother1219
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  20:53:26  Show Profile  Visit mother1219's Homepage Send mother1219 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I know some of the established FR authors have listed what color of dragon they'll be writing about, but I'm not sure that any of us in RotD2 should. I've shared it privately with other folks in the antho, but have no plans to do so publicly until I get the word. When I first found out that I'd be in it at all, I emailed Phil and he asked me not even to mention my part in it until 1) the announcement had been made on the site and 2) until the contracts were signed. I met both of these criteria and then mentioned on here that I'd be in it, but that's as much as I've said. That seems to be the case for everyone else as well. So, to answer your question in short...I really have no more of an idea than you do, so I'm just keep my lips zipped, heh. I think Kameron's advice is a good piece to follow.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...Godzilla.

Go, Go Godzilla

See my silly blog: http://www.motherlove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  21:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I more or less figured the same. But since everybody else around here seems to know much more than me about how this is all going down, I thought maybe somebody had the inside track.

OK, there was absolutely no need to italicize that; I was just flexing my newfound font muscle.

Ahem. Anyway. You referred to a site on which WoTC made an announcement? What site is that? Is it at WoTC itself? WHY DON'T I KNOW ANYTHING??? Grr...
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  21:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zyx

Ahem. Anyway. You referred to a site on which WoTC made an announcement? What site is that? Is it at WoTC itself? WHY DON'T I KNOW ANYTHING??? Grr...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/maidenextrae

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  21:26:49  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main site for info on Wizards Novels and News is here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books

And the actual article where it was announced (now in the archives)
is here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/maidenextra
Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oops! Little slow on the draw there!

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0

Edited by - James P. Davis on 13 Apr 2004 21:28:54
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  11:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'm relieved, actually -- I had seen that announcement after all. I was beginning to think I really didn't belong (trails off whimpering).

So WoTC thinks any of us might be the next R.A. Salvatore, huh? No offence to Bob, but I'm looking more for Oscar Wilde status. You know, inclusion in quote books, this kind of thing. The millions are nice and all, but it's the fame I'm after ;)
Go to Top of Page

Grimbones
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  14:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Grimbones's Homepage Send Grimbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heyyas, Kam!

This is Grims, long time listener, first time caller.

Q. Did your experience in comics help when it came time to plot out Maiden of Pain? (Not the plot itself so much as the ability to imagine a complete story from start to finish.)

Btw: I really enjoy your reading your blog and appreciate the time you spend on the forums here and over there. I hope that doesn't change too much when the book comes out.

http://choosedeath.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  16:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Experience in comics? I've collected them, and written some of my own stories, but I don't have any professional experience in the comic industry. That said, any experience you have in crafting a story, whether it is comic arcs, short stories, or novels, helps build your ability to "see" a story from start to finish.

I'm glad people are getting some sort of benefit from the blog. It's my intention to post articles and announcements there as frequently as possible, on a range of subjects that deal with writing and rpgs. I don't forsee my participation changing once my book(s) start appearing on shelves near you.

Might I ask why you didn't post this over at the Pens & Swords forum, where you are already registered?

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 16 Apr 2004 16:15:18
Go to Top of Page

Grimbones
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  13:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Grimbones's Homepage Send Grimbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So for the otaku and KameRangers, what can you tell us about The Shattered Amulet, book one of the Search for the Dragon Ward?

Edited by - Grimbones on 20 Apr 2004 13:39:50
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  16:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now, I'm going to have to insist that this discussion is taken over to Pens & Swords. Alaundo has made it clear he doesn't tolerate non-FR literature discussions on these forums. I have no desire to feel the wrath of the staff of the annoyed moderator +5.

(I appreciate the plug, though, Grim. )

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

Now, I'm going to have to insist that this discussion is taken over to Pens & Swords. Alaundo has made it clear he doesn't tolerate non-FR literature discussions on these forums. I have no desire to feel the wrath of the staff of the annoyed moderator +5.

(I appreciate the plug, though, Grim. )

Well met

Thank ye, Kameron. I didn't recall seeing a tome entitled such on the shelves of Realmslore but was willing to let it pass... if only briefly

Oh, and its the staff of the irritated moderator.... a much more powerful weapon than the staff of the annoyed moderator

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 20 Apr 2004 16:57:57
Go to Top of Page

Grimbones
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  18:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Grimbones's Homepage Send Grimbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DM: Roll a board etiquette check.
Grim: I get a '1.' Do I fail?

Sorry for the flub, Al. Thanks for the catch, Kam.

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  16:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm posting a writing sample over at www.kameronmf.com for those who have asked to see my style of storytelling. It's a piece I submitted to BioWare a couple years back when applying for a position as a designer. It's a scene featuring Aribeth from Neverwinter Nights and is mainly dialogue because BioWare was looking for well-written dialogue as one of their requirements.

I broke the story up into three parts because of length. The first part is posted. There will be one part posted per day.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  23:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm posting a writing sample over at www.kameronmf.com for those who have asked to see my style of storytelling. It's a piece I submitted to BioWare a couple years back when applying for a position as a designer. It's a scene featuring Aribeth from Neverwinter Nights and is mainly dialogue because BioWare was looking for well-written dialogue as one of their requirements.

I broke the story up into three parts because of length. The first part is posted. There will be one part posted per day.

Well met

Thank ye for sharing this with us, Kameron. A very interesting and valuable piece Tell me, whom owns the rights to this tale? Was this rejected for some strange reason by Bioware?

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  00:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it would be considered fanfic, as Aribeth was created by BioWare and Neverwinter is, of course, a part of FR. I believe the submission agreement basically said that anything sent to BioWare would be considered their property.

As to why I wasn't chosen for the designer position, my sources told me that they look for people with degrees and I was still two years from completing mine at the time. No official reason was given, though.

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  23:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Kameron,

To the Nine Hells with you and your manuscript for beating me and hundreds of others. (Just kidding :)). Anyway, I have a few questions for you:

(1) I know that there is no artist set up yet for MoP, but who would you really like to do it? (If it were me, I would like Todd Lowckwood or Matt Stawicki to do mine:))
(2) How much freedom do you get in writing an FR novel? I mean for EVERYTHING.
(3) Is your character a cleric FOR the Maiden of Pain or of another deity who defies her?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  23:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! Also, I'm not too into writing about dragons, but I read the writers' guidelines on the WotC webstite and it said that we could just send them a sample of writing for them to get a feel of how we write and then have us write a short story for an anthology or something. Am I getting it right?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  23:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) I've browsed through some of the artist bios on the WotC website, but I'm not that familiar with all of their work. To be honest, I'm more focused on finishing the manuscript.

2) I'd say I have a lot of freedom, though I really don't have anything to compare it to. Of course, not as much as if I were writing my own stuff, but Phil has been fairly hands off since okaying the outline. I have all the FR source material close at hand, and check in when I have questions.

3) The protagonist is a cleric of Loviatar.

Yes, the guidelines request a short story as opposed to a novel. And dragons are not a requirement. If they like it, they'll probably invite you to submit something for an anthology.

Oh, and neener, neener, I won.

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  22:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I'm pressuring you or anything, but could I email you the short story that I'm ready to send to WotC? I really need some good feedback. I've had others read my stuff and they liked it, but really didn't give me that valuable information.

Could I?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  00:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, my time is already spoken for. They're pushing up the release of Realms of the Dragons 2, so that crunches my timeline. If you're interested in getting some feedback, I can recommend a writing group of other MoP submitters over at www.fmwriters.com. The critique forum is private, so you'll have to contact the site admin to get permissions. Just tell her Kameronmf said it was okay to add you. The forum is called "WOTC".

Good luck with your submission.

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  21:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks much.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  12:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
They're pushing up the release of Realms of the Dragons 2, so that crunches my timeline.

Squeeze me? Baking powder? Nobody told me! Could you elaborate on that Kameron, in private if necessary?

Hmpf. Nothing like feeling left out.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  18:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, that's all I have. Phil Athans emailed me last week to say they would probably need my story sooner than originally planned, as they wanted to push up the release of the anthology. He did not have a specific date at the time, however.

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  17:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm running a little contest over at www.kameronmf.com, related to my short story for Realms of the Dragons 2. I thought the scribes here at Candlekeep might be interested in participating.

Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  20:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You lured me back for a peek, Kameron, but I'll leave you my answer here: if you massage a combination of the Latin for sky and bolt, you come up more or less with "kaeliss", which sounds not unlike the draconic for storm.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  21:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion.

*waggles finger*

You realize that if I bend the rules for you, then I'm going to have to do it for everyone. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  09:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know me. I'm such a maverick.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000