Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jeff Grubb and Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  03:41:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So Wikipedia says that Jeff Grubb's home campaign world was called Toril...before the Forgotten Realms was published...

Anyone have comment?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  03:45:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup - AFAIK Ed didn't have a name for the planet itself, and Grubb used his, and then they pasted 'Abeir' onto it so it would come first in the index.

Which makes you wonder why he didn't JUST use 'Abeir'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2014 03:46:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  04:16:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff contributed the name of the planet [Toril, to which he added the prefix Abeir to shift the world entry to the front of the alphabetical listings in the Old Grey Box] from his campaign. Ed had no world name because the folks in Faerûn knew they lived on something that curved, but considered it all one land. Ed's thinking was that "everyone" knew about the land they lived in, and its boundary seas, but not every culture "of today," Realmstime, knew it was on a spherical planet. There were various names among the Netherese, modern Halruaans, elves, etc, for the planet, but there was no one commonly-accepted one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  04:18:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Makes me very curious what Jeff's Toril was like.

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  05:32:23  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure there's ever really been a Grubb interview where he was asked about his original Toril. It'd be interesting to hear it or see it, if there was.

But I sort of doubt that it was very fleshed out. When TSR felt that they needed a new campaign world for play, seems like they would've used Grubb's Toril if it had been detailed. By contrast, Ed's Realms apparently had decades of rich development.

I'd imagine that they used small bits and pieces (perhaps a deity, or a place name) here and there when needed for setting development and publication, but it's probably 95% Ed and 5% Jeff, not including the Alias and Dragonbait novels, of course. And with Jeff as the primary working editor-developer for publication.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  07:50:28  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The goddess Waukyne is also Grubb's creation from his original Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  09:53:32  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool thanks i didn't know that. Anything else from Jeff's campaign in FR?

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 11 Mar 2014 09:54:00
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  10:40:02  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd imagine that they used small bits and pieces (perhaps a deity, or a place name) here and there when needed for setting development and publication, but it's probably 95% Ed and 5% Jeff

I dunno, seems to me Jeff Grubb likely contributed more than '5%' to the mix. I could be wrong, of course. But of all the other contributors to the Realms, JG seemed to really understand the Realms. I'm sure he has many other contributions to the Realms from his own game...even if they aren't obvious to us today. It's hard not to inject your own concepts methinks.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  12:20:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff Grubb was merely the first:

I suspect that at this point in time, The Forgotten Realms is about 50% 'Ed' at best, and 50% bits & pieces of every other designer's home game. We know huge swaths of Slade's and Paul Jaquay' stuff made it into the Realms as well, but there is probably tons more we are unaware of.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  14:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, as far as I can tell, it's nowhere near 50-50.
At a Milwaukee-era GenCon I once had lunch with Dave Sutherland (head of art for TSR at the time, I think) and he said Maztica and Kara-Tur were wholesale TSR additions (from the former history teachers Doug Niles and Zeb Cook), but otherwise things were pretty much Ed, geographically. In later chats with Ed, I'd amend that to say on the continent of Faerun, because Malatra (the Living Jungle RPGA campaign) and the other continents were TSR and WotC additions, though the 4e continent detailed in the 4e Realms core book was created by Ed, with the only staff addition being "make sure there are Primordials in it."
Scott Haring did a light detailing of Calimshan in FR3, and Steven Schend detailed Amn and Tethyr way beyond Ed's scanty notes in Lands of Intrigue (and also edited and created various new lower levels of Undermountain), but a lot of the other products (FR4 and FR5, for example) were almost entirely Ed-lore. You've got to bear in mind that at times there was deliberate company policy to underplay Ed's visible hand in Realms products, to "avoid creating another Weis and Hickman" who could demands big money and have huge editorial influence.
In many cases, something created by someone else for the Realms (Salvatore's Menzoberranzan, for example) became something Ed was asked to flesh out and detail for publication, so "everything would fit."
I once talked with Ed and Jeff Grubb after a GenCon seminar, and Jeff said his campaign was "pretty free-wheeling," often trying out new dungeons before they were published, and that all of the cities were named after popular songs of either the crooner era or Sixties pop, and so were totally unsuitable for published use.
Myself, I'd say the names, overall geography (before the map changes of 3e and then 4e), and overall flavor of the Realms are about 90 percent Ed, and the ground-level detail in some places is 90 percent Ed and in other specific places is 60 percent to 40 percent Ed - - but those places tend to be very local (buildings, neighborhoods, or individual cities described in a novel or adventure, that were chosen because there was no published lore on them, so whatever Ed-lore existed could be ignored). Jeff did tell me that Ed produced reams and reams of background lore on everything they asked him to, for years, from publishable-quality maps to fictional snippets to flesh out characters, and they usually had to tell him to stop, not beg for more. So if an author wanted to go to city X or town Y, they'd ask Ed what he had on it, and often get way too much.
One caveat: the "history" of the Realms from 1357-ish onwards, that we've seen happen before our eyes in novels and game products, has been the work of all the creative people working in the Realms, with Ed just one among them.
Yes, reading back through what I've just typed, this all seems right. This topic happens to be something that interests me a lot, so I've asked and listened and attended seminars and so on quite a bit, down the years, and heard a lot from people "at the time" before later people came on the scene and started revising history to fit their views.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  15:49:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade...and that all of the cities were named after popular songs of either the crooner era or Sixties pop, and so were totally unsuitable for published use.

This just makes me want to visit the wonderful city of "Runaround Sue".

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  20:00:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

No, as far as I can tell, it's nowhere near 50-50 <snip>
I think, maybe because its ME, you may have assumed I was talking only about the geography.*

YES, the geography remains mostly Ed's (and you failed to mention two major add-ons right from the beginning - The Moonshaes and The Bloodstone Lands), BUT, the lore does not, most especially Netheril, and everything that has been drawn from that, which is quite a bit at this point. The whole setting now revolves around the Shades and The Shadow-Weave - things Ed never envisioned for the Realms. So while the continent (just the one) remains very similar to Ed's, really, nothing else is. How many of Ed's NPC's are still around? How many of his plots (organizations, etc) are still in-play?

No... it not the same world. Not by a long shot.

*EDIT: And also the subject of the thread - my bad. I was thinking about ALL the differences, but this thread is supposed to be about the world itself - sorry.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2014 20:02:06
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  03:48:39  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade...and that all of the cities were named after popular songs of either the crooner era or Sixties pop, and so were totally unsuitable for published use.

This just makes me want to visit the wonderful city of "Runaround Sue".

Following the conflict with the orcs, our stalwart heroes left their home town of In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida and proceeded south to the seaside village of Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da where they were to meet the venerable Sage Aretha.

Lady Aretha was wise and kind, and understood well the deep dungeons of R-E-S-P-E-C-T and the mythical underhold called Ring of Fire.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  04:51:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Toril is not exactly an "exclusive" name. Heck, it's the name of a district (exact spelling) in my hometown, Davao City.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  05:06:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Toril is not exactly an "exclusive" name. Heck, it's the name of a district (exact spelling) in my hometown, Davao City.

Nope, it isn't exclusive...it IS the name Jeff used for his home campaign and then applied to the Forgotten Realms though.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2014 :  01:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, the Moonshaes weren't an add on, they were a switch. Ed's original Realms had Moonshae Isles in that location. What happened when TSR bought the Realms was that the "Albion" campaign (horse called Avalon, Vikings, England, Celtic stuff, etc.) that Doug Niles had developed on his own got switched in for Ed's Moonshaes, and they got switched out.
And I would say most of Ed's organizations are still in play (Cult of the Dragon, Red Wizards, Harpers, and so on; all his).
Other than those points, can't disagree with your post. Except to point out that the wiser designers, from Jeff and Steven and Julia Martin on through the years to Chris Perkins (who actually penned a Wizard webite column entitled "A Love Letter To Ed Greenwood") listen to Ed, consult him, and often let him "Realmsify" the new ideas and notions to make it all seem to fit together better.
I just wish everyone did that. (Sigh.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2014 :  12:27:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yeah, I understand all that... but they weren't "Ed's Moonshaes". In fact, there were major differences in dwarves, elves, trolls, and even culture with the rest of the continent, which didn't shoe-horn so well on some levels (like 'The Earthmother'). Don't get me wrong - I like The Moonshaes - its just that it always felt like a different setting to me.

I tried contacting Jeff Grubb for his input in this thread, but thus-far no response.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  17:34:59  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Public mention of the Moonshaes:

Greenwood, Ed."More Pages from the Mages," Dragon, January 1983 pgs 71-72.

It mentions the Sage Flamsterd and his vanishing.

Very INteresting.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  02:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Grubby One's keyboard....

http://grubbstreet.blogspot.com/2014/04/f-is-for-fareun.html

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  04:10:24  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the link, Steven.

That link includes another link to a post by Jeff Grub, wherein he details about 30 factoids of the history behind the Realms.

A must read for anyone interested in the history of how the Forgotten Realms came to be and its early years in TSR's hands.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 Apr 2014 07:20:26
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  08:00:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome share Jeremy!

I love Jeff Grubb so much I tried to get him to come on with Ravenlore as a Contributing Editor...but he is too busy. <much sadness>

Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  11:00:23  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
25) We retrofit a number of D&D Products that were in the works into the Realms, including N5, Under Illefarn, the Bloodstone Pass H series, and I3-5, which were being repackaged. Part of what made this work was the idea that the Realms was everyone’s campaign from 1975, and was supposed to be able to handle most of what the DMs would throw at it.

Amazed to hear that among the products retrofitted was one of my favorite Realms product N5 Under Illfarn, and that it wasn't even originally planned to be a FR product. #SoGladItDiD!

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 08 Apr 2014 11:03:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2014 :  14:40:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys suck... you beat me to the punch.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2014 14:40:38
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2014 :  13:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend shows exactly what I was looking for earlier. Very cool article (and shared by Gaming Paper on the Book of Faces earlier today).

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  16:31:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was a fun read. Wizards should take that original map Ed has and sell them as posters for 19.99 so I can buy one. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  16:46:16  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
15 things about Al-Qadim design revealed by Jeff Grubb you might not know;

http://grubbstreet.blogspot.ca/

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 15 Apr 2014 16:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  16:46:46  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
15 things about Al-Qadim design revealed by Jeff Grubb you might not know

http://grubbstreet.blogspot.ca/

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000