Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 moonblades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  02:04:38  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met all!
Does anyone know where I can find the information/stats on the fabled moon blades? Specifically the origins of the blades as well as the metal used for forging them. Any information/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  02:29:56  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For sure Elaine's novel Evermeet has a bit of info, and the 3e Magic of Faerun has a stat's write up...I'm fairly certain that there is more 2e info as well (possibly in Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves or Volo's Guide to All Things Magical) but I'm currently away from my books to give anything more conclusive...
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  02:31:59  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2e sourcebook Evermeet, Island of Elves

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  05:27:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves".
Long story short, the initiative came from High Mages of Elven Court, and each elven land was to make at least 25 moonblades and give to the clans (both nobles and commoners) who want to claim. The total number was over 300, survivors of the First Claiming ceremony - 180. Also, they are all linked, and when there's only 24 activated moonblades, they would signal it's time for Ascension Ceremony - to decide which is the King's blade and thus which clan won the gauntlet.
By the Year of the Fallen Tower, between 30 to 50 moonblades still touch the Weave. Of them, only two moonblades are found within Cormanthyr#146;s glades. Zaor Moonflower wears and wields one with honor among the Akh#146;Velahrn, and this is the only one known.
E.g. Jassin Aunglor killed Venom (the old green dragon of the Tangled Vale) in -206 DR, but his sword was lost with him, in a cave-in.

For comparison, another group of items of this type - elfblades of Cormanthyr. Coronal Oacenth ordered 3, for the ruler, army commander and archwizard.
All those were enchanted using with High Magic and should count as minor artifacts.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  05:55:04  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ugh...how did I forget about the Evermeet sourcebook...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  12:02:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e stats for moonblades were first published in the Elves of Evermeet sourcebook, and later reviewed in the Heroes' Lorebook. Their origin was described in the Evermeet: Island of Elves novel and in an entry in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves, besides what one could get from other Elaine's novels.

There are a lot of discussions about moonblades in our forums, and I compiled most of them in one document, some years ago, and later wrote an article to use in my campaign. It is homebrew, of course, but besides using some new terms from elven dictionaries (that are recognized as canon), everything there is in accord with official lore. I can send you this document, if you wish (in this file there are no game stats, though).

EDIT: typo

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Mar 2014 12:04:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: