Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  03:53:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ed said on March 25, 2004, "Damian, Kuje has got it right re. Dawnspire."

Ah... I found Ed's reply, but the lack of a question with it made it difficult to know what it was referring to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  04:56:35  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ed said on March 25, 2004, "Damian, Kuje has got it right re. Dawnspire."

Ah... I found Ed's reply, but the lack of a question with it made it difficult to know what it was referring to.

This is why I use my table of contents. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  19:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage  Send Beirnadri Magranth an AOL message Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS for farthest reach/last mythal series
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
near the end of the Farthest Reach Aeravin defeats Saelethil's spirit which lingered in the High Mage's selukirra (sp?). He then gains access to the epic magic stored within. He learns alot of the selukiira's lore by reading golden scrolls. Could these scrolls he read be scrolls of the golden skins of the world serpent?

I figured since the GSotWS were created by the Ba'etith a bajillion years ago in the Hall of Mists and the next tale of their surfacing was when they were discovered by finder in the cellars of the Citadel of the Mists, that the elves of the high forest had found the skins...
I think Saelethil read the scrolls while he was active with house dlardrageth (seeing as they were alter found within their secret armories). Saelethil, i suppose, then stored the valuable knowledge in his selukiira which was gleaned by Aeravin after he defeated the Dalrdrageth high mage.

please
tell me if im completely off or if this is reasonable speculation.
THNX

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2400 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  01:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather doubt it. I think it was just imagery created by Saelethil. Remember, the kiira was essentially a part of him, so everything is a metaphor, and the world's iconography was entirely his to create. And he was a gold elf, so it would make sense for him to color the "scrolls" that held (to him) the height of gold elven magic at color.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  17:32:22  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I viewed it as a metaphor -- not the Nether Scrolls, not the scales of the World Serpent. Sort of like the desktop icon you choose to represent files on your PC.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I rather doubt it. I think it was just imagery created by Saelethil. Remember, the kiira was essentially a part of him, so everything is a metaphor, and the world's iconography was entirely his to create. And he was a gold elf, so it would make sense for him to color the "scrolls" that held (to him) the height of gold elven magic at color.

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  18:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage  Send Beirnadri Magranth an AOL message Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok.. :/ i really liked that character btw!
goodjob with Saelethil
he was perfectly condescending and evil

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  16:34:30  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi Richard, i'm a huge fan of the last mythal series and have been discussing it and defending it regularly since i recently joined the candlekeep forums. it seems to me that "final gate" has a lot of issues to tackle and unless its 500+ pages i imagine some things will be left open, so i was wondering if you would be taking on a new series after this involving characters from the last mythal books? i think you have handled the elves in the realms wonderfully and i would really love to see you continue to write about the Returning or whatever you and the realms have in store for my favorite race. thanks Rich, i cannot wait to read "final gate"!
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
since i am the last post i thought i would add: for the love of the elven pantheon, please......do not kill off fflar!!
Go to Top of Page

Aulnil
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  20:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Aulnil's Homepage Send Aulnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulnil

Rich, absolutely loving The Last Mythal series. The Farthest Reach is quite an endeavor. Thanks. I had just a few questions. Spoilers, sorry

The creatures invading Sildeyuir; are they described in more game-use detail anywhere as yet? And, by the writings in Cloak and Dagger, Mulmaster is essentially under Zhentarim control and Manshoon has returned to the organization in some regard. Is there any particular reason the forces of Mulmaster and Manshoon aren't involved in The Farthest Reach, or did you just feel it added to many elements to an already very thick tapestry? Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Aulnil

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  20:45:10  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aulnil,

Unapproachable East has the info you need about the creatures invading Sildeyuir. That was the only sourcebook that has info on that land and the star elves, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aulnil
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  23:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Aulnil's Homepage Send Aulnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks got the info on the creatures a few months back, but reposted for the remaining info just out of curiosity and forgot to edit the original post. Thx to all responding.
Go to Top of Page

Waldham
Learned Scribe

83 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2006 :  16:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Waldham's Homepage Send Waldham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello , Mister Richard Baker

I have a question about the illithid tamer PrC in Underdark with illithid-kin racial requirement.

If a character has the feats : illithid heritage and illithid grapple(described in Complete Psionic), can the character become a illithid tamer ?

Thanks for your future answer.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  00:11:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, do you remember why Zokir (beholder city where the famous elder orb Vaxall comes from) was not mentioned in 3E Underdark ?

It was described in great details in Drizz't Guide to Underdark and I was surprised to find not even a small blurb / site on map.

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 May 2006 00:12:27
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  04:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rich. The Last Mythal Trilogy was a fun read. I was treated to a fantastic lore packed adventure spanning the breadth of Faerūn, the Underdark, and beyond. I haven't enjoyed a realms trilogy this much in years. I eagerly look forward to hearing about your next projects.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames, and please be sure to check out the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  04:36:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick question, Rich, about the ship of Evermeet that Amlaruil used to visit Seveiril. It has been suggested that it is a spelljammer, though I'm more inclined to think it's a special kind of flying ship that is tied to moonlight. Can you offer more clarification on what, exactly, it is?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:30:23  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A quick question, Rich, about the ship of Evermeet that Amlaruil used to visit Seveiril. It has been suggested that it is a spelljammer, though I'm more inclined to think it's a special kind of flying ship that is tied to moonlight. Can you offer more clarification on what, exactly, it is?

Oh, Wooly... you know he's giving us a 'silent sneak peak'... don't go and force his NDA hand 'just like that'... be more hamsterish in your inquisitions I say!
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  02:28:12  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker,

What became of Malkizid at the end of The Last Myth Drannor series? Also how did Malkizid know ELVEN mythal spells?

Those questions aside, I absolutely loved The Last Mythal trilogy and thought that it was a great relief from the standard "retreating, weakening, and vanishing elves of Faerun" view. Is it possible that Araevin will be featured in another novel?

Thank you for your time in answering these questions.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  08:06:28  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I finished the final part of The Last Mythal trilogy about seven minutes ago--
Amazing.

I especially liked the Epilogue. Please make an effort to drop a mention here and there of important events, timeline, and noteworthy characters in FR gaming products...I'm sure you will, but I just wanted to add the emphasis, because nothing irks me more than when important novel events get missed in timeline/regional information entries, etc.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  05:55:08  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to drop a quick message and thank you for the Final Gate. I could not have been happier with the outcome of this novel. I realize that this was a huge task and I think that you pulled it all together quite well. I look foward to seeing what future holds for our "new couple" and for a RPG source book to accompany the events of this novel.
The only thing I'm going to have to disagree with you on is that I think my NY Mets are going to take it this year . Seriously though, from a newer FR fan who has read a good amount of realms classics, the Last Mythal trilogy is my favorite. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

The only thing I'm going to have to disagree with you on is that I think my NY Mets are going to take it this year .

Or the Yankees.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  09:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Rich what are the new classes in Tome of Battle like? (particularly interested in the Crusader class)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  17:08:19  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
who cares about the mets, forza italia!

ahem...back on topic, what is this tome of battle supposed to be like?

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  13:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm Mr.Baker, i was wondering where else is the Pale Sybil mentioned? and if she isn't, could u give a brief introduction of this weirdly cool, magic sucking character
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  21:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Baker!
I have some questions to you about LM series.
I havent read The Last Mythal series yet but unfortunately i heard some spoilers about it. I heard that in LM trilogy Grand Mage of Evermeet is Breithel Olithir. I feel little confused because in novel Evermeet and in sourcebook Evermeet Grand Mage of Evermeet was Laeroth Runemaster. So I'm asking what happened to Laeroth and why you have decided to make Breithel Olithir Grand Mage?
My second question is how powerfull is Breithel Olithir? How many levels he has?
My last question is about characters from LM trilogy. Will they be described somewhere?
In some new sourcebook or in WotC web site or elsewhere?

Sorry for my englisch.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:45:44  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late answer; I've been on vacation for the last 3+ weeks.

I imagined the ship as an enchanted seagoing vessel, not a spelljammer. I didn't really have any particular magical properties in mind, other than the idea that the ship could travel great distances in a short time by sailing on moonlit water. I don't think it was really a "teleport ship" effect as much as it would be a sort of "shadow walk" effect based on sailing in moonlight... someone aboard the ship would perceive dimly the lands/seas they were passing over/through, and it wouldn't be instantaneous.

Hope that helps!

quote:

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000