Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  22:57:02  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Baker:

First things first - you do some rocking work when it comes to Faerun. My fiance's favorite book of all time is Forsaken House and she can't stop talking about when the Farthest Reach comes out. I not loved FH but Condemnation as well!! Great Job!

I do have one question though - Is it Xhalth or Xhalph and is her son or her nephew? There are two different sources (Lords of Darkness) and your book (Forsaken House). Could you clear this up for me?? Thanks! I appreciate it!!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  02:08:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker
As far as what else I'm doing these days, well, I've got a short story that will appear in Realms of the Elves

Can you provide any details on what your story will feature?

Thank you in advance.

SB
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  02:10:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane
My fiance's favorite book of all time is Forsaken House and she can't stop talking about when the Farthest Reach comes out.

The novel is already out. Check out this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  08:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Glad you liked 'em!

The Game of Masks was described in the 2nd Edition "City of Raven's Bluff" sourcebook. The specific game (matching up the kings, colors, kingdoms) I thought up for the book. Every few tendays the folks who arrange the masquerade think up another "party game" to entertain everybody, or so I understood. I would expect that at least some other Realms cities might have a similar tradition.

As far as what else I'm doing these days, well, I've got a short story that will appear in Realms of the Elves, and I'm currently hard at work on Final Gate. Just getting started, really, I'm only a couple of chapters in so far.

I'm glad you chose that specific game. I love it's real life variant and it was especially great to try to solve the puzzle yourself as you read the book. Good luck with Final Gate. Can't wait to get my hands on Farthest Reach but unfortunately, where I live, the books only appear on bookstores about 4-6 months after release.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  16:28:09  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
My fiance's favorite book of all time is Forsaken House and she can't stop talking about when the Farthest Reach comes out.

Well, thank you much! I will have to head not only to the thread, but to the bookstore today! Thanks!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  00:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Ah, hopefully I will see it in my local bookstore within the next half a year or so

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  00:55:31  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Richard!

I enjoyed 'the Forsaken House', and thus I echo the thoughts of my fellow scribes with their praises to your talent! What really amazed me was that the names of all the characters sounded very "Realmish". This is an aspect of the Realms that many authors/designers seem to be lost with, or seem to think it is not worth sweating over. My thanks for the excellent novel, and also for paying attention to details

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  22:26:54  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a goof on my part, but I'm not going to straighten it out in the novel series--there's just no elegant way to do it. So, my bad. If it's important in your game, pick the answer you like the best and run with it. The exact relationship isn't all that important.

quote:

Hello Mr. Baker:

First things first - you do some rocking work when it comes to Faerun. My fiance's favorite book of all time is Forsaken House and she can't stop talking about when the Farthest Reach comes out. I not loved FH but Condemnation as well!! Great Job!

I do have one question though - Is it Xhalth or Xhalph and is her son or her nephew? There are two different sources (Lords of Darkness) and your book (Forsaken House). Could you clear this up for me?? Thanks! I appreciate it!!

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  02:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr Baker,

Let me take this oppurtunity to tell you THE LAST MYTHAL series is now my personal FAVORITE in all FR books, this series is an elven fanboys dream!! I finshed the Farthest Reach this very morning at 5am (considering that I read it all night cause I just couldn't put the darn thing down!). What more can I say- I loved it! I even found myself guessing certain things like what happend to Araevin that came to pass later in the book.
A few questions please***************SPOILER WARNING**************

****************************SPOILER WARNING*************************
1) what exactely did the telmiirkara neshyrr do to Araevin- did it give him the celestial template or something more?( this is the part i guessed right when you first mentioned the ceremony in the book, and by the way I'D DEFINATELY WANT TO SEE ARAEVIN STATED IN DRAGON MAGAZINE!!!!!!!!)

2) Was that Morwel in the book, how sweet!?

FINAL COMMENTS OR WISHLIST!

Hope to see you anwser the drow presence in Cormanthor, and sice your final novel will take place in the year of risen elfkin, can we hope to see the star elves dilemma resolved and a TITANIC battle to retake and rebuild the ELVEN realm of Cormanthor and Myth Drannor ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! DANG IT"S ABOUT TIME!

p.s. THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH FOR THIS SERIES AND THE MOST RECENT BOOK!!

Prince Forge of Avalon
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  14:31:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The WOTC novel site has posted a author profile for Richard Baker and a sample chapter for The Farthest Reach.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  23:36:23  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Baker:

Once again, you rock. I have finished The Farthest Reach and wish I could jump ahead and see the wonderful conclusion in Final Gate. I want to also tell you Sarya is the coolest bad guy (ok, kickin' half-elf, half-demon chick) I have ever read about. I just want you to know, you have given a great background to a character (NPC) that I fell in love with in Lords of Darkness, thank you very much!!!

Oh yeah, I echo the previous 2 posts: Stats for the characters would be great, but hey, I know you're a busy man... oh yeah, Ilsevele rules as well!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  03:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Baker:

Quick note of thanks for writing the Last Mythal Trilogy. I've read the first two books, and they are AMAZING! Definitely 10 out of 10! Keep writing, anything, and I'll keep buying!

Also, a semi-random question, possibly with a spoiler:

You've briefly mentioned Araevin's link to the elves of House Floshin, specifically Elorfindar Floshin of Daggerford. Will Elorfindar have any role (even a minor one) in book three, even in a flashback? And since Araevin appears to have some Floshin ancestry, will we learn more about how the Floshins seem to have fractured between evil (some becoming fey'ri) and good (others, like Elorfindar and his children)?

Edited by - Laeknir on 09 Jul 2005 03:19:14
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  20:21:43  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,Great work on Forsaken House and Farthest Reach.This trilogy is by far the best thing put out by anyone in a long time.Not to say that anything is bad.This is the best of the best IMO.

I am confused as to what Aeravin became at the end of Farthest Reach,and I was wondering if you can help me out on that point?Will we see Gaerradh and Methrammar again?

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  14:34:12  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have two questions and a request.

Question: Is the Elven Retreat truely over? Is there going to be a Return to Faerun from Evermeet?

Request: A romance between Gaerradh and Methrammar Aerasume.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  15:46:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

Question: Is the Elven Retreat truely over.
The Retreat has been officially over for two game years now. The FRCS even states this on pg. 14. This was before the events detailed in Rich's novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jul 2005 15:47:20
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  16:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Query: anything you can tell us about Final Gate? A summary? The current state of the Mythal War?

Request: More on Fflar, his duel with the Nycaloth prince and Xhalph, round 2!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  02:20:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Query: anything you can tell us about Final Gate? A summary? The current state of the Mythal War?

Request: More on Fflar, his duel with the Nycaloth prince and Xhalph, round 2!

Here's some interesting details on Final Gate, direct from Rich's interview at WotC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/rbakerinterview2005) -

quote:
"The Last Mythal of Aryvandaar isn't Myth Drannor, as some folks have suggested on the message boards," he says. "It's a place called the Nexus in 2nd Edition lore." (The Nexus and the Gatekeeper's Crystal made their appearance in Forgotten Realms roleplaying game sourcebooks back in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and Hellgate Keep.)

"The Nexus is a meeting-place of portals, a place where thousands of gates come together," Baker explains. "Step into the Nexus, and you can go anywhere you want. The doors in the Nexus are the means by which Malkizid is able to provide Sarya Dlardrageth with so many fiendish creatures for her armies. What Araevin discovers at the end of Farthest Reach is that this work of ancient Aryvandaar wasn't simply a benign construct for facilitating portal-building but instead a 'secret weapon of the Vyshaan lords,' a device intended to win the Crown Wars of 10,000 years ago. It has the potential to wreak untold destruction all across the Realms . . . and the mysterious Malkizid intends to do just that."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  18:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, mr. Baker!

I enjoyed the 'Farthest reach' very much! I do not wish to spoil anything here, so I will not refer to any names, but the corruption and blight occuring on a certain plane reminds me a lot about Moander (a sliver of his/its essence seems to remain imprisoned in Tsornyl's ruins). I wanted to ask you if this similarity between certain chapters in 'Farthest reach' and the blight and corruption of the Great Dread God are simply coincidental?

Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  21:01:58  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who are the eladrin, the queen of the Court of Stars, and a high lady of the fey lords? Which source book can I find this information in?

James

Edited by - jameslt0 on 10 Aug 2005 21:16:00
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  21:28:46  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The eladrin are a variety of fey-looking CG outsiders like guardinals or demons. They are found in various sourcebooks from 2E and 3E. The Court of Stars is found in the Book of Exalted Deeds.
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  19:04:08  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx..I was hoping for Forgotten Realms sourebook, since I have them all.

James
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  21:15:39  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Condemnation for the second time I just want to say you did an excellent job Mr.Baker.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment

Edited by - The Twin Scimitars on 21 Aug 2005 21:17:55
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  06:06:25  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker, I just finished reading Farthest Reach (and it's an amazing novel btw) and I have a question.

In the novel (I forgot the exact pages), you mentioned that the Sage of Shadowdale and the Knights of Myth Drannor are away on some far plane on a matter of importance concerning the Shrinshee.

Now, is this just a ploy to avoid having one of the most powerful wizards in the Realms be involved in the conflict or are you perhaps revealing the plot for the series about the Knights of Myth Drannor that Ed Greenwood is going to write?

I remember in Troy Denning's Return of the Archwizard series, Elminster goes to Hell to seal the rift that opened after his fight with the Princes of Shade, which then sets the premise for Elminster in Hell.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  07:04:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Mr. Baker, I just finished reading Farthest Reach (and it's an amazing novel btw) and I have a question.

In the novel (I forgot the exact pages), you mentioned that the Sage of Shadowdale and the Knights of Myth Drannor are away on some far plane on a matter of importance concerning the Shrinshee.

Now, is this just a ploy to avoid having one of the most powerful wizards in the Realms be involved in the conflict or are you perhaps revealing the plot for the series about the Knights of Myth Drannor that Ed Greenwood is going to write?

I remember in Troy Denning's Return of the Archwizard series, Elminster goes to Hell to seal the rift that opened after his fight with the Princes of Shade, which then sets the premise for Elminster in Hell.

THO and Ed have answered this in the past. It'll be explained in the upcoming elven anthology with a tale Ed is writing. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Aug 2005 07:05:04
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  06:27:50  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Forsaken House and Farthest Reach... That is some darn good writing there Mr Baker!!... Normally I have a fairly low opinion of the writing quality of FR books, but you sir, are damn good!!.. Great use of vocabulary! Characters with depth! Elves that seem, well, like elves! and not just humans with pointy ears!... Definitely hands down "the best Realms book to date" to paraphrase Mr. Greenwood...

Questions -
1) Were you required by your illustrious editors to use "X" number of battle scenes?... They seemed a bit tedious after awhile...
2) What was up with the "recycling cleric"? Every few chapters they get a new cleric... Reminds me of old PnP games where a player would change characters every session, but each one was just a new rendition of the last...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  00:47:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moved here at JK's request:

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met!

Where may I find more details of the disappearance in 1244 (Year of the Defiant Keep) of Elphras and his folk from his keep near the Great Barrow?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  01:57:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not Rich but in 'my' Realms, Elphras was a prince of Impiltur: specifically the fifth son (and a twin) of King Imphras II by his second wife. As to what happened to him, well that's something for you to have fun with I think.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  00:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MR BAKER!

anything i say might be a spoiler but youd be spoiled anyway to read such a great book

I just read your book bc im sick but what an amazing book. it has soo much flavor! I loved the fflar character and his experience with why he came back! and I love the tragic scene with brant at the wizard tower in the forest of wyrms!
1- the character of brant i found so heroic and tragic
2- I love the part about finding the trap in the stone by sensing the grooves etc. that was really well described and i could almost feel the grooves.
3- I love how you had Aerivan fire through the window and race down to the next one. that was really a thrilling moment and very true to the experience of being in a d&d campaign.
4- i thought it was interesting how similarly you write for drow and elves. the dissension in the court of evermeet very much reminded me of the council of matrons in menzobearanzan. alot of the tension has imilar elements as your book condemnation
5- the part about the wood elves didnt seem to be very much related to the rest of what was happening... and i was wondering, are you going to make them more prominent in the other novels? right now it seems like they are two stories told at once
6- i only recently found out who malkizid was! hehe im very eager to read on

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  01:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

matron ghenni was probably resurrected. it should come as no surprise that a powerful noble matron would be revived.... there are those spells for a reason

quote:
Originally posted by shoonvii

Mr. Baker,

*Spoiler*

Just finished Condemnation and loved it! Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but have we ever been clued in as to which Matron of House Faen Tlabbar was killed in Condemnation?

Are Matron Ghenni and Matron Ghenni'tiroth one and the same? Ghenni'tiroth died some 14-15 years ago in Realms time in Siege of Darkness.

I'm just curious if it was an honest mistake, and if so how would you rationalize what exactly happened as per Realms canon (might it be that it was the eldest daughter, Ghilanna, that was killed?); or if there was an off-camera explanation as to how Ghenni'tiroth rose from the dead - only to be killed again 14-15 years later.

Cheers!

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  02:18:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the only thing to consider is that Lolth isn't too keen to let her souls go back to the Realms...

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000