Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  19:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see the new cover art and details page is up at WotC for Farthest Reach.

Rich, what can you tell us about the picture on the cover? I assume you're very happy with this artwork I'm very much looking forward to this novel, the first book in the trilogy was amazing.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  21:59:07  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

When I started working on Forsaken House, I knew that I wanted an elf protagonist, since the whole series was supposed to be about elves. And more specifically I wanted a sun elf protagonist, because I sort of wanted to "rehabilitate" sun elves a bit. They've come off as more lawful evil than chaotic good in a lot of the material we've done about elves.
Oh!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You're the King, Rich: I've hoped for a long time that an FR author would tackle this erroneous image the literature sun elves have been displaying. A million thanks!

PDK,
an avid sun elf fan, who firmly believes that elitism does not imply racism or slavery... Ayn Rand rules!!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2393 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  04:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is DEFINATELY not the place to get into an argument over Ann Rand and her rather extreme philosophy, so I'm not going to touch it.

That said, I wanted to voice agreement with the first half of that post. I'm really glad that the sun elves are getting some "hero" treatment, in addition to their "non-drow elven villian" treatment. I think both are needed, and we haven't been seeing much of the first view.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  09:31:44  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

This is DEFINATELY not the place to get into an argument over Ann Rand and her rather extreme philosophy, so I'm not going to touch it.
I was talking about Ayn Rand, not Ann Rand... I have not read the work of Ann Rand, but Google showed me the following list: http://www.anybook4less.com/author/Ann+Rand.html

Maybe we were talking about two different persons? The "Ayn" Rand I was referring to does not strike me as someone "extreme"... (philosophical, yes... extreme, doubtful... unless you care to elaborate?)
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  19:09:54  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker,

Do you have a personal website?
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  18:13:04  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but I don't. Maybe that's the next project I'll tackle once I finish up the Last Mythal trilogy.

quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

Mr. Baker,

Do you have a personal website?

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  23:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich!

This question may have been asked before so I apologize in advance. My curiosity was piqued from another thread and now I have to know. Years ago Mystra banned 10th level spells (back in 2E) and now that we're into 3E and Epic spells does this ban still apply? There are spells of Epic level in the PGtF so I would assume that this ban is now lifted? What's going on?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2393 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  17:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayn Rand and Ann Rand are the same person (well, at least as I was referring to them. I'm sure there are other Ann Rands out there). She changed her name from Ann to Ayn (or at least that's what I remember from English class). And I would call any philosophy that advocates doing whatever you have to do to others just to advance yourself both extreme and rather ugly.

But that's all I want to say on this subject. I'd much rather talk about books I like.

PS: Just finished Forsaken House, and it's a really good read. Just one question: what happened to Sarya's psionicist son?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  20:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage  Send Krafus an AOL message Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HoondathaPS: Just finished Forsaken House, and it's a really good read. Just one question: what happened to Sarya's psionicist son?

I think I can answer that one... In Lords of Darkness, p. 126, we learn that Ryvvik (the son in question) tried to usurp Sarya's position and got killed for it.

Edited by - Krafus on 14 Dec 2004 20:35:24
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  08:28:18  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

And I would call any philosophy that advocates doing whatever you have to do to others just to advance yourself both extreme and rather ugly.
Hmm... you seem more solid than me on this subject. I don't know her that much except for having read "Atlas Shrugged," which I found somewhat refreshing and encouraging as a nerd with high hopes of one day, contributing to the betterment of this world. It's a good example of planning and developing a strategy for a business idea one may have: it basically shows that one should take action when they have the smarts to succeed... too many friends and relatives I know shortchange themselves on a regular basis and end up trading their dreams for small desires.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  14:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a book! You've really created some memorable (and hopefully long-lasting) characters. I especially enjoyed Maresa, what prompted you to use a genasi? As cool as they are, they get little treatment in the novels. Also, I had really hoped that Grayth had access to the Renewal domain of Lathander, I really hated to see him go.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  19:02:51  Show Profile  Send SirUrza an AOL message  Send SirUrza an ICQ Message Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I started Forsaken City yesterday (against my better judgement because I had to many things going on.) I don't really want to reread the first 5 chapters over, but I feel almost like I missed something.

The back of Forsaken House states Araevin is from Evereska, but everything I've read (the first 70something pages) leads me to think he's from Evermeet. Did I overlook something or is the back of the book a misprint?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  05:02:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza
The back of Forsaken House states Araevin is from Evereska, but everything I've read (the first 70something pages) leads me to think he's from Evermeet. Did I overlook something or is the back of the book a misprint?

I think that's a misprint. He's clearly as you have found out in the novel from Evermeet. His fiance also needs to put a bell around his neck to keep track of him.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  05:22:45  Show Profile  Send SirUrza an AOL message  Send SirUrza an ICQ Message Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I think that's a misprint. He's clearly as you have found out in the novel from Evermeet. His fiance also needs to put a bell around his neck to keep track of him.

Yes, that I found out too.

Well I'm glad I didn't misread anything and that the back cover was botched. Just 1 inaccuracy that everyone involved in final production completely overlooked. Makes me wonder if the person incharge of the cover et al actually read the novel. :)

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  14:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage  Send Krafus an AOL message Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forsaken House's cover nearly makes me grind my teeth whenever I see it... Have you seen the size of Araevin's (I assume it's Araevin) arms and fingers? His arms are way too muscled, and his fingers have the thickness of a dwarf's. Not only is he an elf, but he's a mage, who don't tend toward physical exercise overmuch. And there's no hint in the book that he's got a bodybuilder fetish.

Oh, and Mr. Baker, have you thought about publishing certain characters' stats in Dragon Magazine? I know I'd like to see the full stats of Araevin, Ilsevele, Seiveril, Sarya and Fflar.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  16:11:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus
Oh, and Mr. Baker, have you thought about publishing certain characters' stats in Dragon Magazine? I know I'd like to see the full stats of Araevin, Ilsevele, Seiveril, Sarya and Fflar.

I'd love to second that request and move this motion towards a vote. What's that? There is no voting when it comes to art
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  18:32:48  Show Profile  Send SirUrza an AOL message  Send SirUrza an ICQ Message Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd love to second that request and move this motion towards a vote. What's that? There is no voting when it comes to art

Yeap yeap, stats in Dragon would be awesome.

Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  20:10:15  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In general, I have nothing to do with the cover they give me. Sometimes I get great ones (Condemnation springs to mind), sometimes I get, well, not-quite-so-great ones. I'm actually pretty happy with the Last Mythal covers, but mostly because I like the white jacket color and title arrangement. It makes 'em pop off the shelf, you can pick out Forsaken House in the middle of a big pile of other WotC books.

I'd like to do that article with the character stats sometime, it's just a matter of when. Maybe I'll find some time for it in a few months. Right now I'm busy with finishing up Farthest Reach and D&D for Dummies, then I have a story to write for Realms of the Elves, then I need to get crackin' on Final Gate so that I'm not stuck writing the book in the middle of the summer... because I've found that I just *hate* spending summer weekends sitting at my desk and writing.

quote:

Forsaken House's cover nearly makes me grind my teeth whenever I see it... Have you seen the size of Araevin's (I assume it's Araevin) arms and fingers? His arms are way too muscled, and his fingers have the thickness of a dwarf's. Not only is he an elf, but he's a mage, who don't tend toward physical exercise overmuch. And there's no hint in the book that he's got a bodybuilder fetish.

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  23:08:51  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In general, I have nothing to do with the cover they give me. Sometimes I get great ones (Condemnation springs to mind), sometimes I get, well, not-quite-so-great ones. I'm actually pretty happy with the Last Mythal covers, but mostly because I like the white jacket color and title arrangement. It makes 'em pop off the shelf, you can pick out Forsaken House in the middle of a big pile of other WotC books.

I'd like to do that article with the character stats sometime, it's just a matter of when. Maybe I'll find some time for it in a few months. Right now I'm busy with finishing up Farthest Reach and D&D for Dummies, then I have a story to write for Realms of the Elves, then I need to get crackin' on Final Gate so that I'm not stuck writing the book in the middle of the summer... because I've found that I just *hate* spending summer weekends sitting at my desk and writing.

quote:

I for one loved the Forsaken House cover... the tensed muscles *could* have something to do with the fact that he was MIND-CONTROLLED and actively DOMINATED by the big bad Fey'ri lady!

Anyhow, yes: please keep the white covers as I have a low Spot modifier... I love to see them "jump at me"... As for the actual quality of the cover art, I personally liked it very much, as it is reminiscent of the PGtoF and MoF covers (I love those half-blurred oil paintings... same with the FR DM screen... it adds an antique feel to the Realms that "jives" with me, brothas!)

Knock on wood!!! as long as you don't put anime-style characters as part of the FR art, I'm fine (death to certain "planetouched" pictures in Races of Faerun!!)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  23:08:22  Show Profile  Send SirUrza an AOL message  Send SirUrza an ICQ Message Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Forsaken House last night. Wow, talk about a cool story. I can't wait to see where things go from here. 2 thumbs up.

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  10:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage  Send Lameth an ICQ Message Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

then I have a story to write for Realms of the Elves,

Can you tell us something about the story?
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  13:40:40  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr.Baker.

I just finished reading Forsaken House, and WOW! what a book! Great job man! cant wait for nr.2! This one is goin on my top 5 list
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  15:02:04  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Baker!

How does the ban on 10th level from 2E spells affect Epic level spells in 3E?
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost done with Forsaken House and I must say that this is absolutely one of the best FR books I have read! Congratulations on such a fine story! I hope they decide to release this series in hardback some day so that I can proudly display it on my mantle next to my War of the Spider Queen books.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  23:04:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Hi Mr. Baker!

How does the ban on 10th level from 2E spells affect Epic level spells in 3E?

Somehow, it doesn't affect epic spells... Proctiv's Move Mountain was originally a 10th level spell, and now it's an epic spell.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000