Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  17:43:05  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, PDK. Guess I can't say much more than that!

I just finished the first draft of Book 2, The Farthest Reach. Here's hoping that it keeps up with your expectations.

As an aside: I was up hiking on Mount Rainier a couple of weeks ago, and I found the spot that just made me say, "Jeeze, that's the Western Cwmb!" It's an area called Misty Park. It's at 5,000 feet or so, cupped by Mother Mountain on one side and, well, Mount Rainier on the other--a big, green, sparsely forested valley surrounded by towering peaks. So if anyone's wondering what the heck I was thinking when I called something a "cwm" (or "cwmb" or "coomb"), well, that was exactly it.



[quote]Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

[[snipped for author's modesty]]

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  17:48:15  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two replies.

1. Yes, the whole trilogy winds up spanning about 10 months of world time. The third book should be finishing by the beginning of Uktar in 1374 DR.

2. You betcha. We've got several candidates, really. Certainly the released fey'ri under Sarya's command could be construed as "risen elfkin." Or, for that matter, Fflar Starbrow Melruth is a risen elfkin in every sense of the word. I wonder who Alaundo was talking about when he thought up that year name?


quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Mr. Baker:

Two questions regarding The Last Mythal series:

1. You advanced the timeline at a nice rate in the first book. Will this continue in the upcoming novels for the series?

2. Am I correct that by series end, the "Year of Risen Elfkin" will be fully understandable to FR readers?

Thank you again for an entertaining read and for any time spent answering these questions.

SB


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  18:36:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker


2. You betcha. We've got several candidates, really. Certainly the released fey'ri under Sarya's command could be construed as "risen elfkin." Or, for that matter, Fflar Starbrow Melruth is a risen elfkin in every sense of the word. I wonder who Alaundo was talking about when he thought up that year name?


I had considered the fey'ri, but not Fflar... BTW, that one really surprised me! It's not oft that an event in a book totally surprises me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  21:22:09  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Thanks, PDK. Guess I can't say much more than that!

I just finished the first draft of Book 2, The Farthest Reach. Here's hoping that it keeps up with your expectations.

As an aside: I was up hiking on Mount Rainier a couple of weeks ago, and I found the spot that just made me say, "Jeeze, that's the Western Cwmb!" It's an area called Misty Park. It's at 5,000 feet or so, cupped by Mother Mountain on one side and, well, Mount Rainier on the other--a big, green, sparsely forested valley surrounded by towering peaks. So if anyone's wondering what the heck I was thinking when I called something a "cwm" (or "cwmb" or "coomb"), well, that was exactly it.
Please don't tell me that your car was parked at "Foot Zero" and that you actually hiked up 5,000 feet... this would break all rules known to mankind! a fit gamer!!

Hmm... funny you mentioned hiking, for I just started doing so yesterday, around a local hill named "Mount Douglas" (Victoria, BC) My last few years in the Navy got me sitting behind a desk, and then I went on to finish my Masters full-time... (more sitting) So now I'm stuck with quite a few extra reserves that I quite frankly do not need.

Your post just inspired me to move my butt again... and try harder than stopping halfway up the climb. Today, I shall try for the top! (puts on determined gamer hat: The University Ballcap of Disguise!)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  21:30:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker
2. You betcha. We've got several candidates, really. Certainly the released fey'ri under Sarya's command could be construed as "risen elfkin." Or, for that matter, Fflar Starbrow Melruth is a risen elfkin in every sense of the word. I wonder who Alaundo was talking about when he thought up that year name?



Tease!

Who, besides yourself, is involved in the decision making process when it comes to deciding what Alaundo was referring to for that year?

Thanks for the replies.

SB
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  17:53:18  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time I was in shape, but no longer.

We took two cars, parked one at the Carbonado camp and drove the other to Mowich Lake (elev. 5000 ft.) We hiked about 5 miles up into Spray Park, all the way to the top (elev. 6400 ft.) Along the way we could look down into Misty Park and across it to Mother Mountain. Then we hoofed it about 7.5 miles down to Carbonado, dropping from 6600 ft. to 1300 ft. on that leg. The total was 12.5 miles, gaining about 2000 ft. going in (there's a lot of up and down in that first leg) and losing 4500 ft. going out. It took us 9 hours. And I hurt for a whole week afterwards.


quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Thanks, PDK. Guess I can't say much more than that!

I just finished the first draft of Book 2, The Farthest Reach. Here's hoping that it keeps up with your expectations.

As an aside: I was up hiking on Mount Rainier a couple of weeks ago, and I found the spot that just made me say, "Jeeze, that's the Western Cwmb!" It's an area called Misty Park. It's at 5,000 feet or so, cupped by Mother Mountain on one side and, well, Mount Rainier on the other--a big, green, sparsely forested valley surrounded by towering peaks. So if anyone's wondering what the heck I was thinking when I called something a "cwm" (or "cwmb" or "coomb"), well, that was exactly it.
Please don't tell me that your car was parked at "Foot Zero" and that you actually hiked up 5,000 feet... this would break all rules known to mankind! a fit gamer!!

Hmm... funny you mentioned hiking, for I just started doing so yesterday, around a local hill named "Mount Douglas" (Victoria, BC) My last few years in the Navy got me sitting behind a desk, and then I went on to finish my Masters full-time... (more sitting) So now I'm stuck with quite a few extra reserves that I quite frankly do not need.

Your post just inspired me to move my butt again... and try harder than stopping halfway up the climb. Today, I shall try for the top! (puts on determined gamer hat: The University Ballcap of Disguise!)


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  17:55:53  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Book Department, mostly in the form of Phil Athans, who's the lead editor for FR these days.



quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker
2. You betcha. We've got several candidates, really. Certainly the released fey'ri under Sarya's command could be construed as "risen elfkin." Or, for that matter, Fflar Starbrow Melruth is a risen elfkin in every sense of the word. I wonder who Alaundo was talking about when he thought up that year name?



Tease!

Who, besides yourself, is involved in the decision making process when it comes to deciding what Alaundo was referring to for that year?

Thanks for the replies.

SB


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  18:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Richard.

I just completed the Forsaken House today and liked it very much, one of the most entertaining FR novels I've read recently. It had lots of interesting situations, characters and especially, magic. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.

Possible spoiler.




One question. What happened to the horses Araevin disguised behind an illusion near the Grimlight's Lair? Are they still there?


"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  17:57:42  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to say it, but I'm pretty sure they were eventually eaten by trolls. And the saddles, too. Trolls aren't discriminating.



quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Richard.

I just completed the Forsaken House today and liked it very much, one of the most entertaining FR novels I've read recently. It had lots of interesting situations, characters and especially, magic. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.

Possible spoiler.




One question. What happened to the horses Araevin disguised behind an illusion near the Grimlight's Lair? Are they still there?




Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  09:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya know, I was talkin about the fate of the horses only the other day to a friend of mine. I liked to think that they wandered off into the forest and eventually escaped

Alas, in truth, I think the trolls would have only been picking at the remains after they were likely slain alongside Brant

Whilst I'm here, I'll take this opportunity again to say what an excellent novel this is A fantastic FR novel, and a beautiful novel of elven flavor

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  16:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Ya know, I was talkin about the fate of the horses only the other day to a friend of mine. I liked to think that they wandered off into the forest and eventually escaped

Alas, in truth, I think the trolls would have only been picking at the remains after they were likely slain alongside Brant

Whilst I'm here, I'll take this opportunity again to say what an excellent novel this is A fantastic FR novel, and a beautiful novel of elven flavor



Maybe it's just my having read many a comic book in the past, but I embrace the "no body seen on screen, no death" rule. I'm still holding out hope that Brant is still alive.

I agree with the folks above--great novel.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  17:43:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Maybe it's just my having read many a comic book in the past, but I embrace the "no body seen on screen, no death" rule. I'm still holding out hope that Brant is still alive.

I agree with the folks above--great novel.

Steven




I'll go with that
That scene will stick in my mind forever more. So tragic and so beautifully done. I had to put the book down after I read that part, compose myself, then contact a friend who was reading the novel at the same time to discuss, before I could continue

Quite right though, Brant may return ::nudges Rich Baker::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  16:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage  Send Krafus an AOL message Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Mr. Baker.

I recently had the pleasure of reading Condemnation and Forsaken House back-to-back, and I must say I'm very impressed. In Condemnation, you managed to remain true to the characters' personalities of earlier books. And Forsaken House... That has to be the best FR novel I read in several years (and I've mostly been keeping up with the FR novel line)! It was obvious you'd done a lot of research about previous FR sourcebooks and novels before writing it. I smiled and nodded several times when I saw characters and names familiar from other FR sources. FH has sparked anew my interest in FR and Dungeons & Dragons in general, and elves in particular. For that, I thank you.

Speaking of elves, the number-cruncher in me has come up with a few interrogations... What level are Seiveril Miritar, Fflar Melruth and Saelethil Dlardrageth? I'll understand if you can't give me a precise level, but I'd really like to know at least in what range of levels they are (or were, in Saelethil's case).
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  19:48:09  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you liked them! And yes, I did a pretty good heap of research on Forsaken House; lots of poking around in "Cormanthyr, Empire of the Elves," "Fall of Myth Drannor," "Evermeet," and others. There's a flub or two I wish I hadn't made, but I tried hard to get it mostly right.

Here's my thinking on the characters you mention:

Seiveril: 21st-level cleric. He throws an epic resurrection spell to bring back Fflar. Maybe it was a miracle spell, though, in which case Seiveril could be 17th or 18th and get away with it.

Fflar: Maybe a 15th to 20th level fighter? Not sure exactly. When you're not dealing with a spellcaster, you don't have to be as exact in setting mental limits on the characters.

Saelethil: 25th-level wizard. He was an evil High Mage, after all.


quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

Hello, Mr. Baker.

I recently had the pleasure of reading Condemnation and Forsaken House back-to-back, and I must say I'm very impressed. In Condemnation, you managed to remain true to the characters' personalities of earlier books. And Forsaken House... That has to be the best FR novel I read in several years (and I've mostly been keeping up with the FR novel line)! It was obvious you'd done a lot of research about previous FR sourcebooks and novels before writing it. I smiled and nodded several times when I saw characters and names familiar from other FR sources. FH has sparked anew my interest in FR and Dungeons & Dragons in general, and elves in particular. For that, I thank you.

Speaking of elves, the number-cruncher in me has come up with a few interrogations... What level are Seiveril Miritar, Fflar Melruth and Saelethil Dlardrageth? I'll understand if you can't give me a precise level, but I'd really like to know at least in what range of levels they are (or were, in Saelethil's case).


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2004 :  14:18:36  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage  Send Krafus an AOL message Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's a flub or two I wish I hadn't made, but I tried hard to get it mostly right.


And you succeeded, Mr. Baker. I didn't notice any flubs.

quote:
Fflar: Maybe a 15th to 20th level fighter? Not sure exactly. When you're not dealing with a spellcaster, you don't have to be as exact in setting mental limits on the characters.

Saelethil: 25th-level wizard. He was an evil High Mage, after all.


Saelethil 25th level? Wow. No wonder he was contemptuous of Araevin. Is that 25 straight levels of wizard, or did he have a few levels of Archmage or some other arcane prestige class? As for Fflar, given the ease he had in fighting, I had him pegged in the 16th-20th level range (I was certain he had 4 attacks per round).

Edited by - Krafus on 12 Oct 2004 14:19:48
Go to Top of Page

valmontte
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  03:05:51  Show Profile  Visit valmontte's Homepage Send valmontte a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just bought The Last Mythal today and, conincidently, I also bought the Underdark accessory in the same trip to the book store. Now I began reading the first few chapters of The Last Mythal before I needed a break and bpicked up the Underdark. In my first pass through the Underdark I noticed that there was a character in the art also refered to (and identically resembling the cover art for The Last Mythal) as Araevin.

Now I assume this is an intentional move by WotC. However, I am very intruiged by this fact. In the first chapter Araevin mentions the Company of the White Star; Are Belmora and Sanidine (Araevin's companions seen on the cover and interior of the Underdark) members of this adventuring group?

All in all... what more can we be told of Araevin's past (that we might not gleen from the trilogy? Also... what would Araevin's game stats be at the start of this novel? I'm a stat nut myself...

Thanks.
~Val
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2004 :  15:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage  Send Crust an AOL message Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mr. Baker.

Just wanted to drop a quick message and let you know that I thought Forsaken House was absolutely awesome. Thanks for this new series.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 25 Nov 2004 15:57:09
Go to Top of Page

valmontte
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2004 :  16:57:59  Show Profile  Visit valmontte's Homepage Send valmontte a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, so I finished reading all of Forsaken House last night. And along with all the other praise, an excellent, excellent novel in all regards and respects.

I am especially drawn to this novel because one of the first adventures I ran my players through as a DM was the 2nd edition adventure surrounding the destruction of Hellgate Keep by the Harpers, and indeed I am contemplating converting Forsaken House to an adventure for my players (though most of those characters died in Hellgate Keep they can continue on the story as Araevin and crew.)

I found that Belmora was indeed in the Company of the White Star (see my earlier post), however Sanidine from the Underdark accessory was not mentioned in Forsaken House.

Here is my rationalization for it:
Araevin spent many years traveling Faerūn in his studies and I'm sure his Company of the White Star was composed of many different members through different periods of his travels.

I've also noticecd the likeness of Araevin on numerous other Realms products as I've taken the time to leaf through my other sourcebooks after discovering the similarities between the Forsaken House art and the Underdark art.

That being said...
Mr Baker, perhaps after you finish up your Last Mythal series, you'd be willing to put on paper some of Araevin's earlier adventures in the form of short stories or game articles to appear in Dragon or Dungeon Magazine. That'd be awesome. Also, while I skipped reading most of the points on this board while I read the novel to avoid spoilers, I took the time to read it all this morning, and did find general level approximations for Araevin and some of the rest. However, I'd still love to see complete stats for Araevin and his crew as well as some of the villians and supporting cast from Forsaken House in a Dragon article some time soon (hopefully around the time you release your second enstallment of Last Mythal).

So I think I'm rambling now and I'll sign off. Happy Thanksgiving all.
~Val
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  21:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage  Send Valondil the Ranger a Yahoo! Message Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker,

I'm very interested in reading Forsaken House, since I've heard nothing but good things about it. I haven't come across one bad review. Now that alone is enough to catch my eye

Anyway, the only problem I see is that I'm not familiar at all with the history of Toril's elves. Do you recommend me reading previous books in order to understand your Last Mythal Trilogy, or can I just jump right in?

Thanks a lot for your time.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  13:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker,

No questions for you today. Forsaken House was a wonderful novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I've forgotten how wonderful the Forgotten Realms are in the hands of a skilled writer. In short, Thank You! I look forward to your continuation of the series.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  20:48:21  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been second-guessing myself on this one in the last couple of months. Here's how it happened:

About three years ago, we created a set of "iconic" FR characters for use in playtesting and as generic FR adventurers on covers and in illustrations--just like core D&D uses Jozan, Regdar, Tordek, and the rest. Araevin was one of these characters (a sun elf wizard, obviously), and so we occasionally used him for illos, just as we randomly cycled through various sets of these characters for different FR products. Obviously, a set of generic adventurers have higher usefulness in some products than in others--so these guys appeared in City of the Spider Queen and Underdark, but not in Shining South or Unapproachable East.

(Belmora, Sanidine, and others are also on this list of iconic FR adventurers. The whole FR team at the time tackled this list, so the characters were created by different FR designers and editors. Araevin happened to be one I made up, though, so he's mine as much as he's anybody's. Other FR iconics included Teherrun, a tiefling rogue; Evendur, an aasimar paladin; Valak Vrinn, a drow bard; and Mara, a female human barbarian.)

When I started working on Forsaken House, I knew that I wanted an elf protagonist, since the whole series was supposed to be about elves. And more specifically I wanted a sun elf protagonist, because I sort of wanted to "rehabilitate" sun elves a bit. They've come off as more lawful evil than chaotic good in a lot of the material we've done about elves. Once I settled on a sun elf wizard, I naturally began to think of him as "Araevin" and used the name as a placeholder in the early story outlines. But the placeholder grew on me, and I eventually said to myself, "I like the name, I like the look, why change it?"

Anyway, I certainly knew that we'd used Araevin in a fair amount of art in several RPG sourcebooks, but I decided to stick with Araevin-the-iconic as the vision for Araevin-the-protagonist. In retrospect, it might have been a little "cleaner" to just make up a whole new name for the guy in Forsaken House, but there it is.

Araevin clearly has a history of adventuring in Faerun, but I think it's also clear that Araevin (the Forsaken House protagonist) couldn't have stomped around in Maerimydra in the events of the City of the Spider Queen adventure, where Araevin (the iconic adventurer) happens to appear. The timing's off, since we know that close to twenty years have gone by since Araevin last adventured with his old comrades. That's one of the reasons I'm second-guessing myself on the use of the same character name.


quote:
Originally posted by valmontte

I've just bought The Last Mythal today and, conincidently, I also bought the Underdark accessory in the same trip to the book store. Now I began reading the first few chapters of The Last Mythal before I needed a break and bpicked up the Underdark. In my first pass through the Underdark I noticed that there was a character in the art also refered to (and identically resembling the cover art for The Last Mythal) as Araevin.

Now I assume this is an intentional move by WotC. However, I am very intruiged by this fact. In the first chapter Araevin mentions the Company of the White Star; Are Belmora and Sanidine (Araevin's companions seen on the cover and interior of the Underdark) members of this adventuring group?

All in all... what more can we be told of Araevin's past (that we might not gleen from the trilogy? Also... what would Araevin's game stats be at the start of this novel? I'm a stat nut myself...

Thanks.
~Val


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  20:53:16  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you could handle it easily enough. Several folks in my immediate family read it, and none of them are gamers or FR fans. They didn't seem to have any real trouble. (But then Mom will always say she liked it, won't she?)

One of the criticisms I've heard about the book is that I tell you too many times about how Evermeet got invaded just a couple of years ago. I tried to be pretty clear about who was who and what happened when as far as history and backstory go.



quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Mr. Baker,

I'm very interested in reading Forsaken House, since I've heard nothing but good things about it. I haven't come across one bad review. Now that alone is enough to catch my eye

Anyway, the only problem I see is that I'm not familiar at all with the history of Toril's elves. Do you recommend me reading previous books in order to understand your Last Mythal Trilogy, or can I just jump right in?

Thanks a lot for your time.


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2393 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  02:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there. I've been gone a while and have been trying to read my way back into the present (both here and with novels), though I haven't been able to read much in this thread because I'm only a few pages into Forsaken House and dont' want it spoiled. So, my first comment is a thanks to everyone for using spoiler markers and allowing me to (mostly) safely skip around.

My main question, though, deals with the whole War of the Spider Queen, and, as I'm currently about a quarter of the way through Condemnation (I know, I know, but I don't like buying hardcovers, and so I have to wait for them to come out in paperback), I thought I'd address the question to Mr. Baker.

Forgive me if this has been asked by others elsewhere, but I'm really curious how the series came about, what RA Salvatore's role in it is (just editor? originated the idea?), was there a great meeting-of-the-authors or outline of where things would be going? I'm really curious about everything behind the pages, and anything you could shed light on would be wonderful.

Many thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Seeker

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  08:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see that Dungeons & Dragons For Dummies is coming out next year.

Heh, I wonder what's in this one.

I should read it. Might learn how to play.

Edited by - Seismo on 06 Dec 2004 08:15:03
Go to Top of Page

valmontte
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  18:50:46  Show Profile  Visit valmontte's Homepage Send valmontte a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, personally, I like seeing Araevin-the-protaganist and Araevin-the-iconic side by side. Heck, the more art you have of a character, the better... I can understand you second-guessing your decision due to his appearance in City of the Spider Queen because that plays with the time line... so my suggestion is put him in sourcebooks, but keep him out of adventures. After all, Araevin-the-protaginist did have a wide adventuring campaign of his own... so if he appears in sourcebooks from different areas of Faerūn, thats just fine... but putting him in adventures may "mess with" his time line even more...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000