Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  02:03:29  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, +5 sounds like a mistake to me. We wouldn't have done that on purpose.

And yes, we are *always* conscious of power balance issues. We often cut overpowered race or class designs "down to size" without regard to story and background concerns. Balancing the game is more important to us than making a race or class "interesting." To be fair, we try hard to accomplish both goals with everything we do. But sometimes we miss something.

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Hello Mr. Baker!

Some people over at the German boards mentioned with surprise that the cambion template included in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits shows uneven ability modifiers, e.g. +5 for STR. Given that this goes against the traditional usage of such bonuses, are we going to see more of this in the future?
I for one would not have any problems, as "monster" ability scores start off with 10 or 11 anyway, yet some concerns were raised with regards to min-maxing and future products (i.e., not necessarily cambion characters).

Speaking of which, do designers tend to double-check on such possibilities, i.e. min/maxing? While I accept that this style of play is an popular option for some, I hope that for the sake of flair and background, classes/races/etc. are not toned down because of this.

Thanks in advance, Zanan!

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  02:05:53  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd have to go look through the later books of War of the Spider Queen to figure that out, since I don't know off the top of my head. I haven't looked at the back half of the series in a couple of years, really.

Glad you liked City of Ravens--it's one of my favorites!

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm
Whilst we're on the topic, and I'm not sure it happened in Condemnation but sadly I can't remember which, do you happen to know how Nimor escaped when Gromph trapped him in the plane of shadow? I couldn't remember and neither could Reefy who's just read the series, and no one on candlekeep has offered a solution yet.

If you don't know the answer then I understand but I thought I'd try. Oh and I realise it's a long time ago but I read city of Ravens recently and I 'loved' all the intrigue of the balls. I've started reading Masquerades and deep down I was hoping it would offer something close to City of Ravens

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  14:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah it was worth a shot. The fact no one seems to know leads me to believe that it was just missed out, but the books are still fresh enough in my mind that I don't fancy reading through them all again to work out the time between when he disappears and when he reappears.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  01:49:40  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya Rich,

If you could, could you help me answer a few questions?

In your adventure in Dungeon #101 you give a list of prisoners and five of them are from one caravan and three are from another.

Could you, if you remember, I know that this adventure came out 6 years ago, put who is in what caravan? Also, could you list their gender and race for each? The article just says they are male or female and human or dwarven, but I don't like guessing on which is which.

I need the info for my NPC file.

The prisoners are:

Dreth
Edsard
Hela
Ilsa
Morrin
Staarvid
Thurgan
Welsil

Genders are also needed for:

Andremel
Belindara (I'm guessing this one is female :))
Jhovar

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 11 May 2007 01:58:14
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  02:09:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje, here is Rich's reply from WotC -

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Baker

In all honesty, your guess is as good as mine. Put the NPCs anywhere you want 'em.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  02:18:30  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings and salutations once again, Mr. Baker. I was wondering something about the mythal surrounding Myth Drannor:

*Spoiler Alert*

After the reclamation of the City of Song, will the mythal be able to keep out the remaining fey'ri, or will there still be a way for them to slip in (as a wolf in sheeps clothing) and wreak havoc on the internal affairs of the elven People as they struggle to find their place once again on Faerūn, the land so cherished and loved by their ancestors?

Also, another quick question, but this time about Silverymoon... I know that the mythal there keeps outsiders from entering into the city, but what about fey'ri and tieflings? Since they are native outsiders, can they make their way in?

I would also like to say thank you for your time and all of your hard work on the new novels and sourcebooks. I and my players greatly appreciate what you and the other game designers have done to "flesh out" characters, classes and races. So again, a huge thanks from my four players and I.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2007 :  20:12:32  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again. I have a question about a monster from 2nd Edition that I have been wondering about as of late. Long ago in 2nd Edition there was a monster that appeared in Elves of Evermeet that really caught my fancy. They were the Reverend Ones, and I have been wondering if Reverend Ones made a reappearance in 3.5 if they would be just a monster/creature like the Baelnorn or if they would be a template that you added to an existing creature with elven blood? Also, are there any plans on placing them in any upcoming game products? Thank you, sir.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2007 :  20:37:10  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not official, but I did a work up of them in Bestiary of the Realms 2 http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html and I think the Creature Catalogue has a different take.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2007 :  03:27:09  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

It's not official, but I did a work up of them in Bestiary of the Realms 2 http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html and I think the Creature Catalogue has a different take.

Thank you, sir. I'll give it a good look.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2007 :  17:36:11  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Rich, I have some questions about Last Mythral.

Shadowdale, Daggerdale, Deepingdale soldiers were all involved in the siege of Myth Drannor. Archendale did not. Were any other dales soldiers present in the final siege?

I have the idea of Myth Drannor not taxing its citizens for a little bit and living off the treasures claimed by the returning elves as they clear out and reclaim the city Did the Shades clean stuff out in return of the Archwizards or is there still enough treasure around to enrich many kingdoms.

After the end of the novels, is there still a sizable infernal population running around in Cormanthor to justify random encounters?

Will the Word of Potency or the Ritual to Summon Revered Ones reach print anytime soon? Are there any discussions for a sourcebook or at least updates such as whether or not Sembia withdrew from the Southern Dales?

Also, can you give us a rough % of the gates that are now broken across the Realms with the destruction of the Fhoeldin Durr?

Edited by - althen artren on 25 Jun 2007 17:45:27
Go to Top of Page

Aulnil
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  04:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Aulnil's Homepage Send Aulnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know you've touched on topics concerning The Last Mythal trilogy multiple times, but considering the state of Mulmaster leading out of Cloak and Dagger, heading into 3rd/3.5 edition, can you touch on the choice not to include or gloss over Mulmaster's possible influence/part in the events covered in this trilogy.

Thank you much,

Aulnil
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  00:49:51  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, Eric tells me you might have answers about the following:

Do you know who did the "In Faerun" entries for Monster Manual V? and do you know who wrote the vampire section? I have both Realms and vampire stat block questions for that book.

(the vamp question is easy: why does the vamps' slam atk and dmg bonuses the same as their magic weapons' bonus?)
Go to Top of Page

acro
Seeker

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  01:23:09  Show Profile  Send acro an AOL message Send acro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Richard, I am currently working my way through the last mythal trilogy. It is very good so far, and the part I like the most is when Araevin takes the Nightstar and learns that he is related to the dlardrageths, by some obscure marriage.

Bring out those dusty tomes to be copied.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  22:21:35  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Which books follow on from your damn good The Shadow Stone ?

I seem to have missed any info on this!

Delz
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  22:33:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi M. Baker,

I just want to say that the clan Hulmaster and Aesperus were major characters in a 2e campaign I ran years ago, I'm eager to see what are your plan for them in your new trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  18:18:07  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the slow reply, I haven't been around here in a few weeks.

I'd imagine that at least a few of the surviving Riders of Mistledale were present during the final siege. Possibly some small number of folks from Harrowdale or Featherdale too, but I don't know if I would count any of those as soldiers.

I think there's still plenty of undiscovered vaults (and dangers) in Myth Drannor. The Shades didn't get it all. They hardly made a dent.

Yes.

No immediate plans on the Word of Potency or the ritual. I saw the Word as a low-grade epic spell whose principal purpose was to "wrap" a non-epic spell and make it much more likely to bust spell resistance and harder to save against. I have no other details that that, really.

I would guess that the Waymeet was responsible for maybe as many as 25 or 30 percent of the random gates around Faerun.

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Hello Rich, I have some questions about Last Mythral.

Shadowdale, Daggerdale, Deepingdale soldiers were all involved in the siege of Myth Drannor. Archendale did not. Were any other dales soldiers present in the final siege?

I have the idea of Myth Drannor not taxing its citizens for a little bit and living off the treasures claimed by the returning elves as they clear out and reclaim the city Did the Shades clean stuff out in return of the Archwizards or is there still enough treasure around to enrich many kingdoms.

After the end of the novels, is there still a sizable infernal population running around in Cormanthor to justify random encounters?

Will the Word of Potency or the Ritual to Summon Revered Ones reach print anytime soon? Are there any discussions for a sourcebook or at least updates such as whether or not Sembia withdrew from the Southern Dales?

Also, can you give us a rough % of the gates that are now broken across the Realms with the destruction of the Fhoeldin Durr?

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  18:19:31  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I've never done a sequel to The Shadow Stone. The next book I wrote after that one was City of Ravens, though. You might check that one out next!

quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Rich,

Delz

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  18:25:16  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've taken a few liberties with the backstory on Hulburg and Aesperus, since it really was *very* thin in existing FR lore. I think most people will like what I've done. For example, Aesperus now has a nickname: The King in Copper. The lich rivets his bones together with metal bands. He was the wizard-king of a small, short-lived realm known as Thentur which stretched from Thentia to Sulasspryn (forgive me if I got that city wrong, it's the one east of Hulburg and I don't have my references right here). Thentur lasted less than a century and collapsed around 1100 DR or so.

Anyway, you'll see more on this in Swordmage -- or possibly a Realmslore article or two in Dragon online.

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi M. Baker,

I just want to say that the clan Hulmaster and Aesperus were major characters in a 2e campaign I ran years ago, I'm eager to see what are your plan for them in your new trilogy.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  03:23:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Rich,

This really isn't a question, per se, but I read about your wife on your blog over at WOTC's site, and I just wanted to say that my prayers are with you both, and that while I'm sad that she was diagnosed, I am glad that she was diagnosed early, and that she seemed to have the situation taken care of quickly.

Best regards to you and your wife.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  21:29:36  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Rich,

This really isn't a question, per se, but I read about your wife on your blog over at WOTC's site, and I just wanted to say that my prayers are with you both, and that while I'm sad that she was diagnosed, I am glad that she was diagnosed early, and that she seemed to have the situation taken care of quickly.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you as well Richard.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  05:39:28  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your concern. Right now everything looks 100% A-OK. Odds of recurrence are less than 5%. We'll be watchful, but it looks like we don't have to be terribly worried right now. Call it a scary near-miss.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Rich,

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  10:17:58  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Rich,

Delz

Sorry, I've never done a sequel to The Shadow Stone. The next book I wrote after that one was City of Ravens, though. You might check that one out next!

Hello Mr. Baker!

In the recent past we have seen series like 'the cities', 'the fighters' & 'the wizards', now in progress are 'the dungeons' & 'the citadels'. Do you happen to know if the series in which your book
'The Shadow Stone' was published in, the series 'The Adventurers' IIRC, will be continued in the future? Just wondering....

Best regards, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Trailstalker
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  11:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Trailstalker's Homepage Send Trailstalker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker

I've liked all the stories I've read by you, especially "The Last Mythal" series, and your short story "The Bladesinger's Lesson".

Will we be seeing more of Daried Morvaeril in the future?

Dash Trailstalker
Halfling Ranger
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  03:41:01  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Richard,

I was wondering if you have or can give us any more information in regards to your mention at Gen Con about the 'Spellplague'. What is it exactly, why would it effect every corner of Toril, and does it diminish both Mystra, Azuth,and Shar? Could it not be better suited to be a regional thing instead in order to avoid mishaps like those had with the Shadow Weave?

Will there be a lengthy explanation as to he origin, the cause, the source, the effects, how to slow its progression, its symptoms, please say that the answer this time around to such a possible Realms Shattering Event will not be the whimsically answer: "Because it has always been there, it just was not noticeable before", like the wonderful explanation we were given in regards to the Shadow Weave?

This is my opinion but I hope via the boards, via the emails, via the letters that this time fan imput has been taken into account unlike the last time where the general populace of fans was rather insulted by the Shadow Weave explanation and how the issues where handled. I can understand the possible wanting to demonstrate and to cater to the potential new client/consumer, but what about the die hard fan/client/consumer that has been purchasing items for many years and is the main source of product sales/revenue. Will their targetability be taken into account, or do we simply consider them dust to be brushed under the rug as has been very much voiced on the official WOTC forums (to state one example the suggestion of polls)?

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 20 Sep 2007 03:47:10
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  12:39:07  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Hello Richard,

I was wondering if you have or can give us any more information in regards to your mention at Gen Con about the 'Spellplague'. What is it exactly, why would it effect every corner of Toril, and does it diminish both Mystra, Azuth,and Shar? Could it not be better suited to be a regional thing instead in order to avoid mishaps like those had with the Shadow Weave?

Will there be a lengthy explanation as to he origin, the cause, the source, the effects, how to slow its progression, its symptoms, please say that the answer this time around to such a possible Realms Shattering Event will not be the whimsically answer: "Because it has always been there, it just was not noticeable before", like the wonderful explanation we were given in regards to the Shadow Weave?

This is my opinion but I hope via the boards, via the emails, via the letters that this time fan imput has been taken into account unlike the last time where the general populace of fans was rather insulted by the Shadow Weave explanation and how the issues where handled. I can understand the possible wanting to demonstrate and to cater to the potential new client/consumer, but what about the die hard fan/client/consumer that has been purchasing items for many years and is the main source of product sales/revenue. Will their targetability be taken into account, or do we simply consider them dust to be brushed under the rug as has been very much voiced on the official WOTC forums (to state one example the suggestion of polls)?

Well Met Bruce!!

Until Rich answers I would suggest you read this scroll where your questions are being discussed:

Time of Troubles 2.0

And here is a quick summary from Grand History of the Realms:

In 1385 DR, With help from Shar, Cyric murders Mystra in Dweomerheart, destroying the plane and Savras, as well as sending Azuth and Velsharoon into the Astral plane.

Magic bursts from the bonds of the Weave. Thousands of mages are driven insane or destroyed, and the very substance of the world becomes mutable beneath the veils of azure fire that dance across the sky.

Cyric is imprisoned on his home plane for 1000 years by Tyr, Lathander, and Sune for his crimes. This event is what is known as the Spellplague.

Apparently many planes are "shifted" or destroyed. The book states that only the greater gods can protect their respective planes from the destruction. This implies that some of the lesser [and intermediate] gods might not make it.

The last sentence of the book says that the Weave is destroyed and the "old world" ends and a new one begins. What that means is anybody's guess.

edit: link added

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Sep 2007 13:06:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page