Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  02:00:23  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaskedOne

Is Aeron Morieth likely to be revisited any time in the near future?

More amusing question, would he be a standard shadow adept under current rules or did he manage to retain limited access to the true Weave as he did in the book?





He is in the FRCS with short stats.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  17:02:28  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mr. Baker!

First, let me thank you for making yourself available here.

I've got a question about the re-conquered Myth Drannor of five years in the future (I hope that I don't run into a big fat NDA..)

We know that they have recovered the Rule Blade... but what of the Nether Scrolls in Windsong Tower (in the form of a tree). Have they been re-discovered yet?

-Walker-

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  21:36:03  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hesitant to say yes. My book just didn't cover it, so I would just be speculating.

If the elves do rediscover the Nether Scrolls, I'm inclined to think that they would tread very, very carefully with them. So, either the elves haven't found the Windsong hoard yet, or they've found it and have chosen to not avail themselves of the Scrolls' powers. Same result to most outside observers.


quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Hey Mr. Baker!

First, let me thank you for making yourself available here.

I've got a question about the re-conquered Myth Drannor of five years in the future (I hope that I don't run into a big fat NDA..)

We know that they have recovered the Rule Blade... but what of the Nether Scrolls in Windsong Tower (in the form of a tree). Have they been re-discovered yet?

-Walker-


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  21:45:20  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Any answer to my question that I asked on the 27th of Oct, or should I ask Ed instead?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  22:15:45  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the swift reply!

I can certainly understand why you would be hesitant to answer, but since the Myth Drannor scrolls grant EXP (LEoF) it seems like it would be a great way to regenerate the reputation for great magic in that region.

Another question, if you don't mind, again about something that your book didn't specifically cover. Would the Coronal and Fflar be sponsoring adventurers to purge the city of the lingering evil over the course of the intermittent five years?

If so, assuming elven artifacts must be returned to the government, what payment might they recieve? Real Estate?

quote:
I'm hesitant to say yes. My book just didn't cover it, so I would just be speculating.

If the elves do rediscover the Nether Scrolls, I'm inclined to think that they would tread very, very carefully with them. So, either the elves haven't found the Windsong hoard yet, or they've found it and have chosen to not avail themselves of the Scrolls' powers. Same result to most outside observers.



*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  21:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Thangorn's Homepage Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again Richard,

I finally got "Final Gate" sent by Amazon.. awesome book, I've barely put it down once again.

couple of quick things to ask you concerning some stuff in the book..
of the creatures you mention in the Lorosfyr part of the book are you referring to Maur (big pale giants) and Ineffable horrors (those ogre-sized batwinged things that chase Araevin and his companions which he eventually destroys with a fireball) in this section?

I loved the scenes in Lorosfyr, I really want to find an excuse to use it in my online and offline campaigns :)

Our team are attempting to build a module that encompasses as much of the Moonsea as possible for Neverwinter Nights 2 so I'm interested in any canon referring to Zhentil Keep and environs.

You mentioned a castle that appeared to be on the north side of the new Tesh Bridge (or the Force bridge not sure) in Zhentil Keep that the city got its name for.. I was wondering whether I got it wrong and you were referring to Lord Orgauth's old castle (now the Temple of Bane) at the east end of the old city, or whether there is still (in FR canon) a castle called Zhentil Keep standing on the North side of the River Tesh?

I realise thats probably a pretty anal question, but any info that helps in fleshing out that area according to FR canon I'm very interested in.:)

Your portrayals of Fzoul and Scyllua in "Final Gate" were awesome. I particularly liked the scene with Tharxul the beholder.. "You submit, You serve, You obey!".. just awesome..

anyway.. I prattled on quite enough. Thanks Richard.



A Land Far Away (ALFA)
A Forgotten Realms persistent world for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
www.alandfaraway.org

Head Builder, DM & FR canon despot ALFA NWN2 Moonsea project.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  21:52:44  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

Sarya gets one-line stats in a couple of sourcebooks - CE Female Half-fiend Sor17? Can't remember off the top of my head...

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting lists her as a CE female sun elf/fey'ri Wiz17 (page 167), and Lords of Darkness lists her as CE female sun elf half-fiend Sor17 (page 126). I understand that in the Last Mythal series it makes several references to her being a sorceress, but on page 259 of Forsaken House it says "She had perpared her spells for the day with that task in mind..."

I know that in 2nd Edition the term sorcerer or sorceress was used to describe wizards, and I am just curious if the same held true here as well. Thanks!!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  01:14:18  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, one last question... is there a chance that the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart will be making an appearance in the upcoming Complete Champion?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  12:49:27  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure this has been asked but I'm curious. How was it that Araevin and his old adventuring company come to be the characters drawn throughout the sourcebook Underdark and apparently on the cover of Lost Empires of Faerun? Have you ever provided more info (like names, races, classes, etc) to this Company?



When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  15:58:56  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I'm sure this has been asked but I'm curious. How was it that Araevin and his old adventuring company come to be the characters drawn throughout the sourcebook Underdark and apparently on the cover of Lost Empires of Faerun? Have you ever provided more info (like names, races, classes, etc) to this Company?



Rich has answered this on the WOTC boards. If I recall right, he said that his characters aren't actually the characters on the sourcebooks. It's just a coincidence.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  20:20:18  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Answered this all the way back on page 3 of the thread. But I copied the post here:

I've been second-guessing myself on this one in the last couple of months. Here's how it happened:

About three years ago, we created a set of "iconic" FR characters for use in playtesting and as generic FR adventurers on covers and in illustrations--just like core D&D uses Jozan, Regdar, Tordek, and the rest. Araevin was one of these characters (a sun elf wizard, obviously), and so we occasionally used him for illos, just as we randomly cycled through various sets of these characters for different FR products. Obviously, a set of generic adventurers have higher usefulness in some products than in others--so these guys appeared in City of the Spider Queen and Underdark, but not in Shining South or Unapproachable East.

(Belmora, Sanidine, and others are also on this list of iconic FR adventurers. The whole FR team at the time tackled this list, so the characters were created by different FR designers and editors. Araevin happened to be one I made up, though, so he's mine as much as he's anybody's. Other FR iconics included Teherrun, a tiefling rogue; Evendur, an aasimar paladin; Valak Vrinn, a drow bard; and Mara, a female human barbarian.)

When I started working on Forsaken House, I knew that I wanted an elf protagonist, since the whole series was supposed to be about elves. And more specifically I wanted a sun elf protagonist, because I sort of wanted to "rehabilitate" sun elves a bit. They've come off as more lawful evil than chaotic good in a lot of the material we've done about elves. Once I settled on a sun elf wizard, I naturally began to think of him as "Araevin" and used the name as a placeholder in the early story outlines. But the placeholder grew on me, and I eventually said to myself, "I like the name, I like the look, why change it?"

Anyway, I certainly knew that we'd used Araevin in a fair amount of art in several RPG sourcebooks, but I decided to stick with Araevin-the-iconic as the vision for Araevin-the-protagonist. In retrospect, it might have been a little "cleaner" to just make up a whole new name for the guy in Forsaken House, but there it is.

Araevin clearly has a history of adventuring in Faerun, but I think it's also clear that Araevin (the Forsaken House protagonist) couldn't have stomped around in Maerimydra in the events of the City of the Spider Queen adventure, where Araevin (the iconic adventurer) happens to appear. The timing's off, since we know that close to twenty years have gone by since Araevin last adventured with his old comrades. That's one of the reasons I'm second-guessing myself on the use of the same character name.



Hope that clears things up!



quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I'm sure this has been asked but I'm curious. How was it that Araevin and his old adventuring company come to be the characters drawn throughout the sourcebook Underdark and apparently on the cover of Lost Empires of Faerun? Have you ever provided more info (like names, races, classes, etc) to this Company?



Rich has answered this on the WOTC boards. If I recall right, he said that his characters aren't actually the characters on the sourcebooks. It's just a coincidence.


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  20:40:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Sorry for asking the same question, thats what you get for quickly reviewing the previous pages. Was Belmora your creation as well. I notice she's in the Underdark Supp and listed as an old member of the Comapny.



When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  22:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich,

I already asked this question/suggestion on the Wizards forum but didn't get a reply, so far. Hence, I'm putting the question here as well:

The recent trend to make adventure-sourcebooks like MotM is to combine, if I understand your "mission-statement" correctly, to address more customers.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make books for either players or DMs?

Personally, I already got upset when one of my players bought Waterdeep: City of Splendors and read the entry for Elaith Craulnober. Personally I think, there is information that should not be in a player's hands, yet all the sourcebooks out there are with both player and DM in mind.

In my experience, although players can seperate their own knowledge from the character's knowledge, whatever they read in any sourcebook will influence their way of playing.

Why not make sourcebooks more like the old original D&D gazeteers with a player's guide and a DM guide, seperated into two booklets? Or make two smaller softcover books, one for the player and one, more extensive with vital game information, for the DM, which are then sold seperately. It would cause far less headache and heartache for us DMs, cuz we'd not have to restrict reading with books that we cannot enforce anyway...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  04:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage  Send Archwizard an AOL message Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Baker,

Wizards of the Coast recently tried several book experiments with alternate rules systems such as Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum and even the Invocation casting method of the Warlock in Complete Arcane. While not all of these systems performed as well as others, WotC did hint that some of these alternative rules received strong positive responses from fans. At the same time, I recall reading something about certain concepts and settings the company found difficult to work with and an idea occurred to me. Has WotC ever considered doing a take of Oriental Adventures with game mechanics in the style of these alternate systems, either adapting existing optional mechanics or creating entirely new ones to suit the flavor of games influenced by an oriental setting?

Such a fusion could potentially make an Oriental Adventures book feasible. This provides the draw of a fresh approach on oriental adventures and the new rules of an alternate mechanics system in a logical package where both aspects support the other. Currently, Asian theme classes such as the wu jen, the shugenja and the samurai (3.0e) simply borrow and modify the mechanics of the existing classes (basically just like a wizard, a favored soul, and a fighter but with restrictions). Redefining the classes, the magic systems, and the other mechanics of an oriental setting would help define what makes an oriental adventure different and unique in its own way while giving fans plenty to use in their games (fans who like new and alternate rules, fans who want to try an OA game, fans who like Kara-Tur, etc.).

Perhaps with such a project, WotC might even consider throwing in a revival of Kara-Tur (which is secretly the real purpose of this post, ::shhh::). The same applies to Arabian Adventures/Al-Qadim/Zakhara of course. Someone at Wizards of the Coast likely thought of this already, possibly even rejected it long ago as impractical, though I figured I should just ask since I have nothing to lose by doing so. I hope that this offered something constructive for consideration, as feedback if nothing else. Perhaps if it is convenient, you can share a few thoughts on this, enlighten us if Wizards thought about something like this idea, how far the idea went, or even reiterate that Wizards still feels they should leave anything Kara-Tur and Zakhara related to Dragon magazine.

Thanks,
Henry
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  23:05:22  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She originated in the same process (creating a set of FR iconics), but I didn't actually design her. One of the other FR team members did (don't remember who right off the top of my head).


quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Thanks. Sorry for asking the same question, thats what you get for quickly reviewing the previous pages. Was Belmora your creation as well. I notice she's in the Underdark Supp and listed as an old member of the Comapny.


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  23:10:23  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think we will explore two booklets in one cover any time soon, just because most of our physical format decisions are pretty much made through 2008. But it's not a bad idea to build a stronger segregation of player and DM material in the same book. Even a book like Unapproachable East or Underdark has chapters clearly pointed at the player and other chapters clearly pointed at the DM.

So, no immediate course changes, but I'll keep that in mind as we begin work on the next iteration of Realms product. It's a ways out at this point.


quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Rich,

I already asked this question/suggestion on the Wizards forum but didn't get a reply, so far. Hence, I'm putting the question here as well:

The recent trend to make adventure-sourcebooks like MotM is to combine, if I understand your "mission-statement" correctly, to address more customers.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make books for either players or DMs?

Personally, I already got upset when one of my players bought Waterdeep: City of Splendors and read the entry for Elaith Craulnober. Personally I think, there is information that should not be in a player's hands, yet all the sourcebooks out there are with both player and DM in mind.

In my experience, although players can seperate their own knowledge from the character's knowledge, whatever they read in any sourcebook will influence their way of playing.

Why not make sourcebooks more like the old original D&D gazeteers with a player's guide and a DM guide, seperated into two booklets? Or make two smaller softcover books, one for the player and one, more extensive with vital game information, for the DM, which are then sold seperately. It would cause far less headache and heartache for us DMs, cuz we'd not have to restrict reading with books that we cannot enforce anyway...


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  23:16:47  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's an interesting idea. But, I hate to say it -- we have no plans to tackle Oriental Adventures, Arabian Adventures, or Kara-Tur any time in 2007, which is as far out as I can discuss specific product plans. (At this point I would consider it highly unlikely for 2008, too, but I can't speak with as much confidence there simply because it's longer out.)

Our business and management teams are very skeptical of product lines or one-offs that would appeal to only a subset of the audience. They'd much rather spend our time and energy creating sourcebooks with the broadest appeal possible. Kara-Tur in the context of FR is a subset of a subset -- something our business guys really don't want to spend much effort on.


quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

Dear Mr. Baker,

Wizards of the Coast recently tried several book experiments with alternate rules systems such as Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum and even the Invocation casting method of the Warlock in Complete Arcane. While not all of these systems performed as well as others, WotC did hint that some of these alternative rules received strong positive responses from fans. At the same time, I recall reading something about certain concepts and settings the company found difficult to work with and an idea occurred to me. Has WotC ever considered doing a take of Oriental Adventures with game mechanics in the style of these alternate systems, either adapting existing optional mechanics or creating entirely new ones to suit the flavor of games influenced by an oriental setting?

Such a fusion could potentially make an Oriental Adventures book feasible. This provides the draw of a fresh approach on oriental adventures and the new rules of an alternate mechanics system in a logical package where both aspects support the other. Currently, Asian theme classes such as the wu jen, the shugenja and the samurai (3.0e) simply borrow and modify the mechanics of the existing classes (basically just like a wizard, a favored soul, and a fighter but with restrictions). Redefining the classes, the magic systems, and the other mechanics of an oriental setting would help define what makes an oriental adventure different and unique in its own way while giving fans plenty to use in their games (fans who like new and alternate rules, fans who want to try an OA game, fans who like Kara-Tur, etc.).

Perhaps with such a project, WotC might even consider throwing in a revival of Kara-Tur (which is secretly the real purpose of this post, ::shhh::). The same applies to Arabian Adventures/Al-Qadim/Zakhara of course. Someone at Wizards of the Coast likely thought of this already, possibly even rejected it long ago as impractical, though I figured I should just ask since I have nothing to lose by doing so. I hope that this offered something constructive for consideration, as feedback if nothing else. Perhaps if it is convenient, you can share a few thoughts on this, enlighten us if Wizards thought about something like this idea, how far the idea went, or even reiterate that Wizards still feels they should leave anything Kara-Tur and Zakhara related to Dragon magazine.

Thanks,
Henry


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Seeker

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  09:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First I would like to say hello to Mr. Baker.
A question that comes to my mind is from your Last Mythal Series.
This would be the question if it has not been covered before by others.
When the dead elf sprits were called to fight for the elf forces in Myth Drannor is there a elven name for this action. And is there going to be any kind of write up on this in the future WOTC book or Books, (or has the action been written up already in past books).
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  20:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage  Send Archwizard an AOL message Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

It's an interesting idea. But, I hate to say it -- we have no plans to tackle Oriental Adventures, Arabian Adventures, or Kara-Tur any time in 2007, which is as far out as I can discuss specific product plans. (At this point I would consider it highly unlikely for 2008, too, but I can't speak with as much confidence there simply because it's longer out.)

Our business and management teams are very skeptical of product lines or one-offs that would appeal to only a subset of the audience. They'd much rather spend our time and energy creating sourcebooks with the broadest appeal possible. Kara-Tur in the context of FR is a subset of a subset -- something our business guys really don't want to spend much effort on.


Hi Rich,

I appreciate the response. In regards to the news of nothing on the immediate horizon on Kara-Tur and the like, no worries. Fortunately, due to the details of the process you and other authors/designers of the Realms provided us, I have a decent notion of the various factors that play into the publishing schedule. I hold no illusion of seeing another OA or a revived Kara-Tur in the next few years, perhaps not until the end of the decade or even the next edition. However, I do hope to see such a book sometime in the future.

Understandably, the company's attention isn't on such topics, nor should it be if the trends and current conceptualization continues. The company should promote the setting by offering books that provide the most use to the most people in their own interest and that of the fans (a faltering FR is no fun for anyone). At first, I thought to respond by saying my idea would produce a book that is the subset of many things (alternate rules enthusiasts, Kara-Tur fans, regular FR fans, people interested in OA), but then a subset of many things is still a subset.

So then the optimal choice should be to make OA/Kara-Tur as mainstream as possible. WotC could publish a new Oriental Adventures in the format and style of Tome of Magic or Magic of Incarnum, a book that deals solely with the new rules systems. WotC seems quite willing to put out such one-offs involving optional rules. Treat it as one of those books, which just happens to use an Oriental influences. As noted, Tome of Battle already leans heavily towards this concept.

Following this, WotC can then release a Kara-Tur book fully under the FR imprint. Treat Kara-Tur as another region of the Realms so it's no longer a subset. Thin the sub-setting distinction by integrating the two continents; detail and fill in bits based on the old books, perhaps even implement a few strategic retcons to Kara-Tur to make it more like Faerun in history and scope. Then you could treat Kara-Tur as a firm part of the Forgotten Realms rather than a one-off or a niche product line.

Though this probably still doesn't meet the ideal requirements for the marketing and business guys to give it much attention. I have noticed that non-Western ideas influence and constitute an increasing portion of the fantasy genre available through popular media (movies, TV, video games, comics, even the Magic CCG tried their hand at it with the Kamigawa set). OA/Kara-Tur arrived decades before this new wave of imported and eastern-inspired fantasy entertainment, a revival if given appropriate attention could be the perfect platform to expand D&D into this area (in a way that Rokugan couldn't sustain).

All right, enough of my amateur market pitching, Wizards probably has access to a number of highly trained and experienced business people who have facts and numbers showing otherwise. Thanks for your time, Mr. Baker, and once again for the swift reply. I do hope WotC keeps OA/Kara-Tur (and Al-Qadim/Zakhara) in mind.

H
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Seeker

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  05:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helloe agian Mr baker first and happy hollidays.
I have a question about Fflar Starbow, if you don't mind.
The process that brought him back to life, does it have a name: from one of the older books. Or it it a process that has not been published as of yet.
And could you give us a kind of over view of the process and how one might be able to inact it.

Edited by - Rolindin on 25 Dec 2006 05:57:00
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  20:06:52  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Essentially, it's just a resurrection spell. Now, that spell has a pretty tough time limit (10 years per caster level). So I hypothesized the existence of an epic resurrection spell that wouldn't care about the time limit. It wouldn't be that bad of a Spellcraft DC in the epic spellcasting rules, but it does mean one of two things: either Seiveril is at least a 21st-level cleric, or Corellon Larethian gave him a hand in some way. To be honest, I think it was a little of both--Seiveril was at least 15th level just based on the spells I had him using, and I think the book supports the idea that the Seldarine also took a hand in things.


quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

Helloe agian Mr baker first and happy hollidays.
I have a question about Fflar Starbow, if you don't mind.
The process that brought him back to life, does it have a name: from one of the older books. Or it it a process that has not been published as of yet.
And could you give us a kind of over view of the process and how one might be able to inact it.


Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  20:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,

this point came up in a recent discussion (well actually I made that point):

why have the RSEs of recent times not been explored in supplement format? E.g. Shade, Myth Drannor/Cormanthor, etc. I thought it would be a good selling point to tie in supplements with the books.

In advance happy new one to you and your family

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  21:16:43  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Essentially, it's just a resurrection spell. Now, that spell has a pretty tough time limit (10 years per caster level). So I hypothesized the existence of an epic resurrection spell that wouldn't care about the time limit. It wouldn't be that bad of a Spellcraft DC in the epic spellcasting rules, but it does mean one of two things: either Seiveril is at least a 21st-level cleric, or Corellon Larethian gave him a hand in some way. To be honest, I think it was a little of both--Seiveril was at least 15th level just based on the spells I had him using, and I think the book supports the idea that the Seldarine also took a hand in things.


Seiveril didn't have the body so it was at least a True Resurrection, but even this 9th level spell has a "years limit". Conclusion : Seiveril needed divine intervention and/or an Epic spell.
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Seeker

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  14:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do wish to thank you for answering my questions Mr baker, and maybe we could see something in the future books on the 10 years per caster levels.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  23:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Rich, great job on the Dummies Guide to DM'ing. It has truly increased the enjoyment of my gaming sessions. I would suggest every DM get this book for the great advice in this book.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000