Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  09:02:45  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is something else besides Sarya and the Radiant Heart that I would like to ask you about. I know that many people on other boards (as well as my own gaming group) have asked this many times: Are there any plans on a revision (again) of the bladesinger PrC, or are the versions from Races of Faerun and Complete Warrior the only versions that we will have to choose from? Thank you for your time yet again, Mr. Baker. I truly do appreciate it.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 03 Jan 2007 09:03:23
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:13:11  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't have any current plans to revise the bladesinger -- Races of Faerun and Complete Warrior are the only places it's going to appear, as far as I know.

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

There is something else besides Sarya and the Radiant Heart that I would like to ask you about. I know that many people on other boards (as well as my own gaming group) have asked this many times: Are there any plans on a revision (again) of the bladesinger PrC, or are the versions from Races of Faerun and Complete Warrior the only versions that we will have to choose from? Thank you for your time yet again, Mr. Baker. I truly do appreciate it.

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:15:14  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Say, thanks! I liked working with the Wiley Publishing folks, and I've always enjoyed the Dummies "style"--it suits my "casual writing" voice pretty well.

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Hey Rich, great job on the Dummies Guide to DM'ing. It has truly increased the enjoyment of my gaming sessions. I would suggest every DM get this book for the great advice in this book.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  21:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, I can't say it enough but you have increased the ease of DM'ing for so much. You put into words many concepts and pieces of advice that have made my players wonder where the heck I got this knowledge. The Dummies Guide to Dungeon Mastering is a must for any DM and I suggested it to a friend just today in fact! Keep writing!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  22:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr. Baker First let me tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Mythal trilogy (although I did feel that the last book seemed a bit rushed ). Now on to business The Nightlords of Moil I would be very grateful for any and all lore you might be able to give me . I know about their (or was it just the pocketplane of Moil?) first (and last?) appearance in the return to the tomb of horrors but would love to get as much up on them as possible even though I fear that i will receive a NDA reply to my query.

Edit: The reason I'm asking you is because there was a feat referring to them in a book which only has your name on the cover and I don't have a way of contacting Gygax who I believe was originally responsible for these guys..

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits

Edited by - Besshalar on 11 Jan 2007 21:15:43
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  01:17:25  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fey'ri gaming question... in 2nd Edition there was a fey'ri bladesinger that had scales that covered his body from the neck down that looked like an incredibly fine mesh chainmail armor that gave him a base AC of 0. Is there a web update or anything that you could recommend as a game designer that would help to show this in 3.5? The fey'ri that I am making reference to is (my personal favorite fey'ri) Lord-Consort Myrlaer Ealoeth from Cloak & Dagger (page 94). Another reason that I am asking is the tanarukk gain a natural armor of +4 along with several other benefits, yet their LA is just a +3, much like a fey'ri if you chose enervation or dimension door as one of your abilities.

Thank you again for your time, Mr. Baker. I realize that you must be a busy person, and I just wanted to assure you that I greatly appreciate your taking time to answer my questions.

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 30 Mar 2007 04:25:22
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  21:41:12  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that Bruce Cordell invented the sinister city of Moil for "Return to the Tomb of Horrors." The feat I designed for "Complete Arcane" certainly draws inspiration from that excellent adventure. But, other than that feat, as far as I know everything we've ever said about Moil or its people is in the "Return to the Tomb of Horrors" adventure. I really don't have anything to add to what's there.

quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

Greetings Mr. Baker First let me tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Mythal trilogy (although I did feel that the last book seemed a bit rushed ). Now on to business The Nightlords of Moil I would be very grateful for any and all lore you might be able to give me . I know about their (or was it just the pocketplane of Moil?) first (and last?) appearance in the return to the tomb of horrors but would love to get as much up on them as possible even though I fear that i will receive a NDA reply to my query.

Edit: The reason I'm asking you is because there was a feat referring to them in a book which only has your name on the cover and I don't have a way of contacting Gygax who I believe was originally responsible for these guys..

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  21:52:02  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it seems reasonable to me that you could add "+2 natural armor" to that laundry list of optional fey'ri abilities... maybe even +3 or +4, but in that case, it would certainly get the asterisk as an ability you can only have one of. I sure wouldn't go with "+10 natural armor" as the 2E character suggests, that's waaaaay too good for the level adjustment.

The fey'ri at +3 is probably suffering a bit. We've learned that level adjustment is not very good "game tech" and often leads to characters that just can't be played as PCs (or that compare badly against other critters of similar LA). If you're talking about a NPC, well, it's not important. But if you want to play this guy as a PC, then I think I wouldn't give away more than a couple of points of natural armor. (And how do you balance it against DR 10, anyway? How much natural armor is worth -10 damage per hit?)

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Fey'ri gaming question... in 2nd Edition there was a fey'ri bladesinger that had scales that covered his body from the neck down that looked like an incredibly fine mesh chainmail armor that gave him a base AC of 0. Is there a web update or anything that you could recommend as a game designer that would help to show this in 3.5? The fey'ri that I am making reference to is (my personal favorite fey'ri) Lord-Consort Myrlaer Eaoleth from Cloak & Dagger (page 94). Another reason that I am asking is the tanarukk gain a natural armor of +4 along with several other benefits, yet their LA is just a +3, much like a fey'ri if you chose enervation or dimension door as one of your abilities.

Thank you again for your time, Mr. Baker. I realize that you must be a busy person, and I just wanted to assure you that I greatly appreciate your taking time to answer my questions.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  22:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, have you considered at WoTC doing a 'Ptolus'-style "citybook" for FR? I think it is a GREAT idea to publish a book with 600+ pages of very detailed official lore, handouts, maps, advice, campaign hooks etc. Many DMs would probably rather pay a steeper price to get all those pages within one covers, instead of paying for four books with 150 pages in each.

Waterdeep and Silverymoon spring to mind, but it could also be a city guide for, say, five or six cities (with 100 pages of lore for each).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  00:23:31  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Well, it seems reasonable to me that you could add "+2 natural armor" to that laundry list of optional fey'ri abilities... maybe even +3 or +4, but in that case, it would certainly get the asterisk as an ability you can only have one of. I sure wouldn't go with "+10 natural armor" as the 2E character suggests, that's waaaaay too good for the level adjustment.

The fey'ri at +3 is probably suffering a bit. We've learned that level adjustment is not very good "game tech" and often leads to characters that just can't be played as PCs (or that compare badly against other critters of similar LA). If you're talking about a NPC, well, it's not important. But if you want to play this guy as a PC, then I think I wouldn't give away more than a couple of points of natural armor. (And how do you balance it against DR 10, anyway? How much natural armor is worth -10 damage per hit?)
Thank you, sir. I'll keep all of that in mind. Best of luck on your future projects.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  09:50:24  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just had the pleasure of reading your story The Bladesinger's Lesson in Realms of the Elves, and I have to say that it is one of the best short stories that I have read in quite some time. I am now rather eager to ask if you plan on statting or have statted out Daried Selsherryn. I am really interested to hear how his levels are broken up. If you are too busy at this juncture to do so, could you at least tell me (well, us) what his golden armor is in all its gaming glory, and about his thinblade? Thank you again, Mr. Baker. I have to say in truth that of everything I have read Realms-wise in 3e and 3.5, that this short story of yours has been the best.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  04:55:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Rich, thanks for your input here.

The more I compare LA +X races to regular races in terms of playability, the more I agree with you. I have 'subconsciously' moved away from LA races when I am lucky enough to find the time to be a player on someone else's campaign (I can't stand the class level loss, especially if I play a spellcaster).

I've been thinkering with a few housespun fixes for LA +X races:

1. if you keep the LA system as is, treat the Level Adjustment as Hit Dice for feats or PrCs that say, lets you improve caster level by a certain amount 'up to your HD' (i.e. practiced spellcaster feat would now become very useful to drow and feyri; Abjurant Champion PrC makes your caster level equal to your BAB... just treat each LA pluses as a 'virtual' BAB+1...)

2. instead of a LA, the player can opt for an XP penalty (i.e. LA+1 = 10% XP penaly; +2 = 20%; +3 = 30%). This gives a good fighting chance to a low level party, and when the LA+3 guy trails two or three levels behind, the XP calculation method takes care of 'bringing that guy back into the fold' by dishing more XP to him compared to the rest of the party (i.e. if you're using the correct way to calculate XP, which calculate the total XP for ALL critters encountered for EACH PC's level - if they vary - then divide by the number of PCs)

3. develop a feat called 'Buy Back LA' with Special: this feat can be taken more than once; each time you take it your Level Adjustment is reduced by 1.

Option 3 is most likely the most balanced of all options I've come up with, as a feat is probably equivalent to an ability granting you a LA +1.

Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  06:31:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, I know that this question came up on WOTC's site, so I thought I would throw this out there, but according to Sage Advice in Dragon Magazine #352, Aasimaar, Tiefling, and Genasi do get proficiency in martial weapons according to their "outsider" type.

With that out of the way, I have a more subjective question to ask, about one of your characters. It has to do with how Araevin would react to another Realms character. How would Araevin react to Galaeron Nimhedu arriving in Myth Drannor offering to help rebuild the city and the mythal? I don't know that he would, but given that Galaeron helped repair Evereska's Mythal, I just wondered what would happen and how Araevin would react to him.

Thanks Rich.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  18:53:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Rich, I know that this question came up on WOTC's site, so I thought I would throw this out there, but according to Sage Advice in Dragon Magazine #352, Aasimaar, Tiefling, and Genasi do get proficiency in martial weapons according to their "outsider" type.
I knew it! [gloating]
Why? because the martial weapons proficiency is an outsider trait, not a feature... again, as per SRD:

Outsider Type: An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.
Features: An outsider has the following features.
—8-sided Hit Dice.
—Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
—Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
—Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
Traits: An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
—Darkvision out to 60 feet.
—Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
—Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
—Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
—Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  06:38:21  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr. Baker
I read City of Ravens several years ago and was blown away. I loved the character of Jack Ravenswild. The story and plot were outstanding. To this day this novel remains my favorite Forgotten Realms novel and one of my favorite novels in general. I recommend it to everyone who loves a good character driven story. Congratulations on your continued success.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  08:59:03  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Hi Rich, thanks for your input here.

The more I compare LA +X races to regular races in terms of playability, the more I agree with you. I have 'subconsciously' moved away from LA races when I am lucky enough to find the time to be a player on someone else's campaign (I can't stand the class level loss, especially if I play a spellcaster).

I've been thinkering with a few housespun fixes for LA +X races:

1. if you keep the LA system as is, treat the Level Adjustment as Hit Dice for feats or PrCs that say, lets you improve caster level by a certain amount 'up to your HD' (i.e. practiced spellcaster feat would now become very useful to drow and feyri; Abjurant Champion PrC makes your caster level equal to your BAB... just treat each LA pluses as a 'virtual' BAB+1...)

2. instead of a LA, the player can opt for an XP penalty (i.e. LA+1 = 10% XP penaly; +2 = 20%; +3 = 30%). This gives a good fighting chance to a low level party, and when the LA+3 guy trails two or three levels behind, the XP calculation method takes care of 'bringing that guy back into the fold' by dishing more XP to him compared to the rest of the party (i.e. if you're using the correct way to calculate XP, which calculate the total XP for ALL critters encountered for EACH PC's level - if they vary - then divide by the number of PCs)

3. develop a feat called 'Buy Back LA' with Special: this feat can be taken more than once; each time you take it your Level Adjustment is reduced by 1.

Option 3 is most likely the most balanced of all options I've come up with, as a feat is probably equivalent to an ability granting you a LA +1.

Thoughts?

Hey, PDK. Have you tried the LA Buyoff from Unearthed Arcana? I have used it myself, and it worked out rather well. It sort of reminded me of 2nd Edition's slow advancement charts.

I like your house rules, by the way. Just sort of thought that you might want to give the UA rules a go if you hadn't already...

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 21 Jan 2007 09:01:39
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  21:37:15  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I know what the type description in the Monster Manual says. But I don't think it's the *right* answer. Aasimar, etc., type-based martial weapon proficiency is an unintended consequence of the rule. I know that when we wrote those type descriptions we weren't looking to give aasimar clerics longswords. We were looking to give hezrous and planetars battle axes, if the DM wanted to kit up a unique baddy for his game.

So why did the Sage make that call, when it wasn't what we intended? In general, we don't admit minor stuff like this is wrong and designate it as errata. After all, your aasimar cleric could have easily spent a feat or picked the right domain or multiclassed to get his longsword proficiency, and all it does is add about 0.22 points of damage per round to his melee attacks. So, rather than go to the trouble of calling the type description wrong, the Sage chose not to suggest unnecessary errata.

Regarding Araevin and Galaeron... well, Araevin certainly understands what it means to be misunderstood and to pay a price for power. I think he wouldn't judge Galaeron too harshly.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

With that out of the way, I have a more subjective question to ask, about one of your characters. It has to do with how Araevin would react to another Realms character. How would Araevin react to Galaeron Nimhedu arriving in Myth Drannor offering to help rebuild the city and the mythal? I don't know that he would, but given that Galaeron helped repair Evereska's Mythal, I just wondered what would happen and how Araevin would react to him.

Thanks Rich.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  21:39:38  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Of the books I've written, City of Ravens is probably my favorite too.

quote:
Originally posted by koz

Greetings Mr. Baker
I read City of Ravens several years ago and was blown away. I loved the character of Jack Ravenswild. The story and plot were outstanding. To this day this novel remains my favorite Forgotten Realms novel and one of my favorite novels in general. I recommend it to everyone who loves a good character driven story. Congratulations on your continued success.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  21:47:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers Rich, I appreciate it. For what its worth I agree with your interpretation of the "outsider weapon connundrum." Personally, I don't see, lets say, a commoner who just happens to manifest enough of his family's unknown progenetor's bloodline to be an aasimar, and on top of the "holy" abllities, he just happens to be able to pick up any martial weapon and know how to use them effectively.

On the topic of Galaeron and Araevin, I figured that Araevin would likely be more postitively disposed toward him, but I also know that some of the elves in Evereska didn't seem too thrilled with the idea of the Mythal being partially "tainted" with shadow weave magic. Again, thanks for the input.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  23:43:13  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I know what the type description in the Monster Manual says. But I don't think it's the *right* answer. Aasimar, etc., type-based martial weapon proficiency is an unintended consequence of the rule. I know that when we wrote those type descriptions we weren't looking to give aasimar clerics longswords. We were looking to give hezrous and planetars battle axes, if the DM wanted to kit up a unique baddy for his game.

So why did the Sage make that call, when it wasn't what we intended? In general, we don't admit minor stuff like this is wrong and designate it as errata. After all, your aasimar cleric could have easily spent a feat or picked the right domain or multiclassed to get his longsword proficiency, and all it does is add about 0.22 points of damage per round to his melee attacks. So, rather than go to the trouble of calling the type description wrong, the Sage chose not to suggest unnecessary errata.

But Rich, I actually LIKE my aasimar clerics with warhammers, and my tiefling rogues with nasty-looking greataxes!

Why, elves don't even pay a Level Adjustment and breed longsword-toting wizards!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  19:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, in the upcoming Anauroch adventure, will we receive more information of Shade? Sourcematerial regarding this area have been almost(!) nonexistant.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  22:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Baker,

I grew curious about the amount of communications between the design staffs of the different settings of D&D (Core, FR, and Eberron) in regards to book formats and cross setting content. For example, if the regional adventure format of Mysteries of the Moonsea performed well in sales, would the Eberron staff consider using that format? If a sub-system like Psionics does well in the core, is there pressure to include it in FR or Eberron books? Or is this mostly up to the setting designers themselves on whether they want to adopt certain formats or content?

Edited by - Archwizard on 06 Feb 2007 22:17:15
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  02:04:38  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, we pretty much are a single pool of designers these days -- no one is specifically dedicated to FR, or Eberron, or Core D&D. We try to take lessons from all of our lines and spread 'em around. For example, the new FR adventures coming out this year make use of the adventure format of "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft."

quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

Hello Mr. Baker,

I grew curious about the amount of communications between the design staffs of the different settings of D&D (Core, FR, and Eberron) in regards to book formats and cross setting content. For example, if the regional adventure format of Mysteries of the Moonsea performed well in sales, would the Eberron staff consider using that format? If a sub-system like Psionics does well in the core, is there pressure to include it in FR or Eberron books? Or is this mostly up to the setting designers themselves on whether they want to adopt certain formats or content?

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  06:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Greetings Mr. Baker,

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to answer my question. After hearing about the Expedition format for the upcoming FR adventures, the combined designer resource pool was the situation I figured the company worked with, your answer gave solid confirmation to a guess. I feel this is good to know since it means each book we purchase is almost like a little more than one vote (generously speaking 1-1/2 for simplicity) for an aspect of the game we like, a very interesting consideration to keep in mind...

:: Ponders what minor but still present implications sales of Secrets of Sarlona might have on the format, approach, and content of the Realms product line. ::

quote:

Well, we pretty much are a single pool of designers these days -- no one is specifically dedicated to FR, or Eberron, or Core D&D. We try to take lessons from all of our lines and spread 'em around. For example, the new FR adventures coming out this year make use of the adventure format of "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft."

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  19:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, I'm currently working my way through the WotSQ books (loving them so much!) and I've just had to get out of the bath so I can ask you this question

Can you explain to me why, when in the tower of the beholder and Quenthel falls, the group (Valas in particular) actually decide to rescue her?

From a Drow's perspective I know there's no love lost, and with Quenthel being, quite frankly a pain in the arse, I just don't understand why they would not be glad that she was out of the picture and left to die.

It's not like she contributes anything in terms of spells or healing, she doesn't even seem to come up with any decent plans (though I understand why they have suffered her leadership thus far), that's the area of Pharaun and Valas. She is not a great fighter, certainly not as much as Ryld or Valas, nor is she a diplomat (in fact she seems to be a liability more often than not). She's not even really necessary to the mission, and the only one I can see having some loyalty to her would be Danifae, though I don't yet understand Danifaes intentions.

The only other reason I could see to keep her would be for fear of retribution when they returned to Menzoberranzen, but if she died in an accident such as that then they should all be absolved of blame.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  22:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I, for one, truly appreciate that we are going to get so many great FR adventures and tomes this year!

Anything you can reveal about the first (Cormyr) adventure? I know it takes place in the Vast Swamp, and hopefully there will be links to Minauros (which is the source of the 'evil nature' of the swamp) and the kingdom of Orva (apparently mentioned in 'Four from Cormyr').

There are also references to old elven ruins in the center of the swamp ("as vast as Myth Drannor") and I was hoping that they will also be featured in the module in some way...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

latharast
Acolyte

Poland
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  18:21:20  Show Profile  Visit latharast's Homepage Send latharast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr. Baker

My question (which is in fact a big request):
-can you tell me anything more about war-mythals, beside that, what you had written in TLM trilogy?

PS. Good luck with you're new trilogy :)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  12:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I created the Pale Sybil for the story; she isn't mentioned anywhere else. However, a couple of the key components behind the Sybil appear in the FR sourcebook "Underdark," which I worked on extensively. For example, the abyss known as Lorosfyr is a place I created for that book. Bruce Cordell invented the Deep Imaskari, and I riffed on that by positing that a Deep Imaskari "sister city" might have been the cause of the mysterious ruins and terrible stairs found in the abyss.

When working on that part of Final Gate, I decided to put on my "A. Merritt" hat. Merritt wrote a number of stories about people going into fantastic hidden lands and worlds and confronting horrendous, inhuman evil; for example, "The Moon Pool," "The Metal Monster," "Dwellers in the Mirage," or "The People of the Pit." I like to pay homage to the Golden Age masters when I can. Lorosfyr and the Pale Sybil didn't fall far from the tree.

What I really loved about the book was the atmosphere... and the fact that this book felt like it was written as an adventure (I think you could easily adapt it into a "super-sized" adventure :) and all the main characters felt like MY characters in a campaign.

The part in Lorosfyr was especially superbly written, and it felt like Araevin and co. were sticking their noses into a place that held something primordial/ancient, horribly patient and evil... I almost had goose-bumps many times as I poured through the pages. Lorosfyr really felt like a mythical, terrible place, and you did a GREAT job in portraying the place as such.
If I had played Araevin, I would have been scared out of my wits and instantly teleported out of there! :D

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  19:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Goodsir! I recently made a ruling in my campaign that wizards who use the Shadow Weave cannot learn spells from the spellbooks of Weave users, and vice versa. The question particularly concerned someone who started as a Weave user and then turned to the Shadow Weave.

Ed having declared you the ultimate authority on Shadow Weavery, Mr. Baker, I ask your opinion: can Weave and Shadow Weave users learn spells from the other's spellbooks? I know it's my campaign and all that, but I have promised my players that I will always seek out the opinions of the authors and designers when I have a doubt about something. Your answer, therefore, will be taken strongly into consideration.

I thank you for all of your wonderful contributtions to the game, and to the Realms in particular.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  23:04:04  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Jamallo, nice to meet you --

Well, I hate to say it, but I think I would go the other way. To my mind casting a spell consists of two steps: 1) gather the energy, and 2) say the words and perform the actions that make it happen. I believe that step 2 is largely independent of the exact method used to gather the energy for the spell. However, there's no reason you can't go the other way in your campaign. It reduces the value of "enemy" spellbooks the PCs capture, but other than that it shouldn't make much difference in the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met, Goodsir! I recently made a ruling in my campaign that wizards who use the Shadow Weave cannot learn spells from the spellbooks of Weave users, and vice versa. The question particularly concerned someone who started as a Weave user and then turned to the Shadow Weave.

Ed having declared you the ultimate authority on Shadow Weavery, Mr. Baker, I ask your opinion: can Weave and Shadow Weave users learn spells from the other's spellbooks? I know it's my campaign and all that, but I have promised my players that I will always seek out the opinions of the authors and designers when I have a doubt about something. Your answer, therefore, will be taken strongly into consideration.

I thank you for all of your wonderful contributtions to the game, and to the Realms in particular.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000