Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  00:44:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Dargoth: In the book, it's Nexus who comes up with the spell in question. The implication is that he devised it himself. But if you prefer to imagine that he's really just using a spell a certain other important personage invented, or that he turned to said personage for help in creating the magic, there's nothing in the text that actually says you're wrong.
Everybody: Hope to see a bunch of you at GenCon later this week!

Or Given that circumstances of the conclusion of ED, Nexus may well BE "the certain important person"

I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty certain that Nexus was mentioned in the first Draconomicon, the FR one. Though no date is given in that one, it is one of the first 2E products -- before even the Horde invasion, which featured the important person of whom you speak.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  05:45:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I just checked. Nexus is 1400 years old -- so he was around when Baerauble was hooking up with Alea Dahast (as in, pre-Cormyr). That kinda nixes your theory, friend Dargoth.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Aug 2004 05:46:46
Go to Top of Page

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  23:55:09  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Richard, I just found this thread. I read the Rage soon after it came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. That in itself is somewhat unusual, as I have a hard time getting into Realms fiction these days. However, your weird cast of characters, draconic supporting cast, and mystery-quest plot to save the world is wonderful. I'm looking forward to the Rite.

Also, for what its worth, I'm down with your reasoning on why the elves decided to "curse" dragons with the Rage. I know that many readers (especially hardcore gamers, who live or die on a weekly basis depending on their tactical decision-making) dislike explanations like this, but I think it adds an important sense of realism. Ultimately, the way I look at it, the elves may not have had a very good reason, and may have made a horrible mistake. But they were desperate and they needed to do something, so they did the best they could. Sort of like real life--where stupid, sub-optimal decisions abound, from interpersonal relationships to international politics.

Now, I know that this topic was broached previously, but I too am trying to think of the best way to represent the Rage in terms of game mechanics. Over at the WotC boards, some of us are discussing the viability of applying the barbarian's rage ability to dragons during the year. I respect your stance that story elements take precedence over game mechanics (and agree with it, as far as novels go). However, I was wondering if you had any opinion on this topic.

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  07:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fourthmensch: It's good to hear from you. I'm very glad you enjoyed the book.
Because the Rage is a many-splendored thing, manifesting a bit differently in different dragons, I honestly don't know how to represent it in game mechanics. Barbarian-style rage may be a good start. In all honesty, although I've been gaming for a long time, I'm not a hardcore scholar of rule systems, and it's likely that people who have thought long and deepy about the rules are much better equipped than I am to address this particular subject.
Go to Top of Page

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  09:14:40  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fourthmensch: It's good to hear from you. I'm very glad you enjoyed the book.
Because the Rage is a many-splendored thing, manifesting a bit differently in different dragons, I honestly don't know how to represent it in game mechanics. Barbarian-style rage may be a good start. In all honesty, although I've been gaming for a long time, I'm not a hardcore scholar of rule systems, and it's likely that people who have thought long and deepy about the rules are much better equipped than I am to address this particular subject.

Ah, you are a wily one, Richard, to reply with such grace and polite evasion.

No worries, though--I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Good to hear from you as well; hope that the muses are begin kind to you.

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  03:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Richard. I just wanted to make a quick post and let you know that I am REALLY enjoying The Rage.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

I'm only halfway through, but at this point I'm loving this book. The party of adventurers slaying dragon after dragon... classic! I haven't seen battles like that since the Chronicles books. And the company of heroes themselves, very nice. What a great team. Another classic, with the brute, the little trickster, the sound cleric, and the surly dwarf. I can't help but remember feeling this way when I first met the Company of the Bright Spear.

There's that, and then there are the dragon scenes, which are also amazing. Why can't we have more of this in the FR library? And the connection to Sammaster and the Cult? What more could there be? An avarial sorcerer/fighter (??) who wings around the city like a super hero.

Thank you for this book, Mr. Byers.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  13:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Crust. I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Now I have to go work on Book Three.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  04:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mr. Byers,

I don't know if this is poor etiquette, but I was wondering if you might be able to provide a general level breakdown of Dorn, Raryn, Taegan, (or whoever else) and the general level of the Queen's paladins? I'm insanely curious.

The group is definitely up there in levels. I'm guessing Dorn's a fighter 10-14, Raryn's about a ranger 10, and Pavel and Will seem to be lower, perhaps 8 levels each. I can't even begin to guess Taegan (some combination of fighter, wizard, and bladesinger, roughly 13 HD?), and I suspect the paladins are at least 10th level.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  17:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crust, I wish I could oblige you in full, but I don't make a habit of statting out my fictional characters. I don't find it to be useful, so I don't bother.
However, you can find complete D&D writeups for Dorn and Kara in a forthcoming issue of Dragon (#326, I believe), along with a short story about Pavel's early days. Later on, they're probably going to run one more little article with writeups for Taegan and Brimstone.
I can tell you Pavel's one level lower than he would have to be to do 5th level spells. In addition to being a cleric, he may well have levels in sage. Will's a highly accomplished rogue and able warsling sniper. Raryn is a highly accomplished ranger, and Taegan's an accomplished bladesinger able to work 4th level spells of that discipline. His magical abilities apart from bladesong are minimal. The game rules will probably mandate that I give him one level of basic wizard when I write him up, but in my personal conception of him, he doesn't even have that, and you won't see him use anything but bladesong in the trilogy (except for one very weird and special spell which sort of exists outside the standard magic system.) He's the specific kind of bladesinger defined in Races of Faerûn.
You're right, the Lords of Impiltur are high-level paladins.
Hope some of this satisifies your curiosity at least to a degree.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  02:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot. That's more information than I expected. I look forward to those Dragon magazines. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2004 :  20:38:02  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

This question is a little OT, but I’m curious how you yourself would rate your work on the Scarred Lands: Dead God Trilogy as compared to your other works? Also, how do you feel about the Scarred Lands world being canceled (it’s not official, but that’s the word around the White-Wolf camp)? Were you a little disappointed when the books went largely unnoticed?

My personal opinion is that you did a good job of capturing the SL world in the novels, and I found Vladawen to be an intriguing lead character. I felt the 2nd and 3rd books were slightly better than the first, and that might be the possible reason why sales were low. Anyway, it’s a shame you can’t do more SL stuff, or any writer for that matter. It's one of my favorite settings.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2004 :  20:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wwwwwww: Glad you enjoyed the Scarred Lands books.
How would I rate them against the rest of my work? Well, really, I'm just not inclined to make those kinds of comparisons. I'll simply say I enjoyed writing them and am pleased with the way they came out.
How do I feel about the demise of the SL setting? This is the first I'd heard of it. If it's so, I think it's rather a pity to see an interesting fantasy universe bite the dust. It doesn't have any crushing implications for me professionally, though, since I wasn't under contract to do any more SL stuff anyway.
Was I disappointed the SL trilogy didn't meet with a more enthusiastic reception? Of course. You always hope that whatever you produce will be a hit. But over the years, I've published lots of stuff that never garnered a word of feedback from anybody. Most writers have plenty of opportunity to get used to that kind of disappointment. I've heard good things from a number of readers concerning my SL work, so at least I know somebody read and enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2004 :  22:46:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww
My personal opinion is that you did a good job of capturing the SL world in the novels, and I found Vladawen to be an intriguing lead character. I felt the 2nd and 3rd books were slightly better than the first, and that might be the possible reason why sales were low. Anyway, it’s a shame you can’t do more SL stuff, or any writer for that matter. It's one of my favorite settings.

WWWWWW, where did you hear that Scarred Lands was being canceled?

And to Mr. Byer's, I say again, I enjoyed your Scarred Lands novels. :) Yes it's been awhile since I said so and the last time was on the WOTC novel boards.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Oct 2004 22:48:33
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2004 :  00:19:33  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

WWWWWW, where did you hear that Scarred Lands was being canceled?

From the official white-wolf forums. Go here:
http://forums.white-wolf.com/viewtopic.php?t=1606

Like I said, nothing has been stated officially, so maybe it won't happen after all.

Mr. Byers, thank you for your response to my questions.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2004 :  17:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the SL books, kuje31.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  18:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the hope that somebody's interested, I thought I'd post the teaser-page copy from The Rite. Seems like it's getting to be about time to try and promote the book a little. Here goes:

YOU HAVE TO FIGHT BETTER

We'll teach you where to hit them to do the most damage, and how to tell when they're getting ready to breathe or spin around, when to get in close, and when to get away. You'll slow the dragons down, and spill more of their blood than you would otherwise. That's all we can promise.

You have to give them the walls and courtyards, and fight on inside your great keep and the vaults beneath. Make the dragons fight us on foot, at close range, on ground we know better than they do. Set traps and ambuscades. That way, we can hold them back for a long time.

Keep fighting outdoors, and we won't last another tenday.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  19:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Richard

Thank ye greatly for posting this information up Oh, and there are MANY, MANY scribes herein interested in this and indeed the whole trilogy. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the novel, as the events of The Rage stick in my mind so vividly from all that I have read this year.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  22:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You have to give them the walls and courtyards, and fight on inside your great keep and the vaults beneath. Make the dragons fight us on foot, at close range, on ground we know better than they do. Set traps and ambuscades. That way, we can hold them back for a long time.

Keep fighting outdoors, and we won't last another tenday.

I hope that this will be some very genius traps and ambushes.
I will certainly buy the next book in the series as the story is very interesting, I only hope that the fights got better (more dramatic, and maybe fewer so that dragons don't appear as cannon fodder like they sometimes do in The Rage).

Edited by - Alaundo on 09 Nov 2004 09:14:19
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  21:58:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the hope that somebody's interested, I thought I'd post the teaser-page copy from The Rite. Seems like it's getting to be about time to try and promote the book a little.

Regarding the publicity theme, I saw the following in the new issue of Dragon:

A Novel Approach: The Rite

I can't recall you mentioning this before. Apologies if you have. But, what does this article detail?

Thanks in advance.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  03:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sirius: I thought I mentioned the article before, but really, who can remember? Anyway, it's D&D character stats for Dorn and Kara, together with some suggestions on how DMs can mine the Rogue Dragons trilogy for ideas to use in their campaigns.
I haven't seen the new issue yet, but I believe it also has my short story "The Silverfish," which tells the story of a turning point in Pavel's youth. If that story isn't in the new issue, it should be appearing soon.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  04:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

In the hope that somebody's interested, I thought I'd post the teaser-page copy from The Rite. Seems like it's getting to be about time to try and promote the book a little.

Regarding the publicity theme, I saw the following in the new issue of Dragon:

A Novel Approach: The Rite

I can't recall you mentioning this before. Apologies if you have. But, what does this article detail?

Thanks in advance.

SB

What issue # is the article in?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  16:05:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sirius: I thought I mentioned the article before, but really, who can remember?

I thought you had as well, but when I tried searching for it, no luck. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I don't recall seeing the short story mentioned. Those who subscribe to the magazine will, hopefully, soon be able to confirm that it's in there.

And Dargoth, it's issue #326.
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  18:25:39  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance of someone posting the class & levels from the article in 326. I'm subscribed to Dragon, but as an international subscriber i've been informed by Paizo that i can expect to wait 6 to 8 weeks for it to reach me. 6 to 8 weeks! I wish this was made apparent when i was subscribing or i never would have. So if i want to read the article I can buy it from a game store about an hours drive away (all copies are shrink wrapped, no browsing allowed ) but as i've already paid for it via sub, im not paying twice.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 20 Nov 2004 18:27:03
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  08:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Richard.

I've enjoyed all of your novels. Dissolution set down characters&events nicely and I was glad to see that the basic character style of Pharaun etc.. was carried onward in the series. The life of common folk was detailed nicely.
Only one question. What ultimately happened to the drow woman who got assaulted by kobolds at the end?

Black Bouquet had an interesting thief setting. I hope to see more of things like that.

Rage was most pleasing in the way you showed character types rarely seen, arctic dwarf and so. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.
One question as well. Will the characters abilities&skills develop during the course of the trilogy, like Pavel getting to the next level and learning a new spell? I hope so, it would be nice to see them become more adept in combat.

One thing about Sembia series. Do we ever get to see what Shamur is doing after Thamalon's death? We've already seen few other character antics after the main series.

Thank you for your time.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."

Edited by - Lauzoril on 21 Nov 2004 08:12:45
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  16:01:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril
One thing about Sembia series. Do we ever get to see what Shamur is doing after Thamalon's death? We've already seen few other character antics after the main series.

Well, Paul Kemp did show her after Thamalon's death in the first quarter of his opening novel in the Cale series. Still, I definitely wouldn't mind a novel someday in the future focusing on Shamur once again.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  17:49:28  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Richard.

I've enjoyed all of your novels. Dissolution set down characters&events nicely and I was glad to see that the basic character style of Pharaun etc.. was carried onward in the series. The life of common folk was detailed nicely.
Only one question. What ultimately happened to the drow woman who got assaulted by kobolds at the end?

Black Bouquet had an interesting thief setting. I hope to see more of things like that.

Rage was most pleasing in the way you showed character types rarely seen, arctic dwarf and so. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.
One question as well. Will the characters abilities&skills develop during the course of the trilogy, like Pavel getting to the next level and learning a new spell? I hope so, it would be nice to see them become more adept in combat.

Thank you for your time.

Lauzoil, I think they captured and raped her. Most likely they kept her as a slave afterwards...

BTW, good luck trying to get answers from Richard Lee Byers. Lol. I've basically peppered him with questions in another forum about future books but he's just wouldn't break. The only thing I haven't done is put him on a torturing-rack and burned him with hot coals.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  19:42:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

BTW, good luck trying to get answers from Richard Lee Byers. Lol. I've basically peppered him with questions in another forum about future books but he's just wouldn't break. The only thing I haven't done is put him on a torturing-rack and burned him with hot coals.

Keep in mind that doing that to someone is generally not considered a friendly act.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  19:49:15  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but it's quite effective but I doubt Richard Lee Byers will still tell me anything about The Rite. Lol. Too bad, I guess I'll stick to the good ol' fashion nails and daggers...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  22:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lauzoil: Thanks for the kind words.
My thought was that the kobolds killed the drow female in question. I guess they could have enslaved her, though.
As DDH observes, I'm not much inclined to give away stuff that happens in stories that haven't been released yet. I will say, though, that in my opinion, the notion of a character "going up a level" is one of those concepts that's more useful in gaming than in fiction. So I don't really have any desire to make a big point of showing it unless it serves the plot in some important way.
I would like to do another Shamur book, but there are no plans for one at present. I think that if happens at all, it won't be for at least a couple years. Currently, WotC's more interested in having me work with other characters and subject matter.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  13:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A heads up for those who care:
My FR short story "The Silverfish" (starring Pavel Shemov, one of the heroes from "The Year of Rogue Dragons") is in the new issue of Dragon (which is #327, I believe.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000