Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2004 :  03:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Krafus: Oh, okay. Cultural differences. I much prefer that to thinking of myself as a geezer.
Maskanodel: I use the sourcebooks extensively, as they define the universe I'm writing about. What I don't use is the ideas that, in my opinion, simply exist to create a playable game system, and don't describe the FR in any way that's relevant to fiction writing. In other words, characters don't have hit points, discrete experience levels, belong to rigidly defined classes, etc.
So I guess you could say I use a lot of the fluff and some of the crunch.
I did (and am using) Draconomicon quite a bit to write The Year of Rogue Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2004 :  06:02:37  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being an outsider to the workings of novel writing for WotC, I have a couple of questions. At the onset of the project were you encouraged to extensively make use of Races of Faerun? Or did you decide to do so yourself? I really liked the way that you incorporated info from it into the Rage. I guess I'm just curious as to how intentionally the novels advertise the newer source books.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2004 :  14:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sarta: Nope, nobody encouraged me to make extensive use of Races of Faerūn. It just worked out that way.
You see, one thing I wanted to do in the trilogy was feature some character-types that hadn't gotten a lot of exposure in other people's fiction. RoF had the info I needed to do that.
Anyway, to date, nobody at WotC has ever suggested writing any story in a way that showcases the material in a particular sourcebook. When they hired me to do the dragon trilogy, hey made sure I had an advance copy of Draconomicon, but, I think, that was just because they assumed it would be useful to me. And it certainly has been.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2004 :  01:59:25  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Sarta: Nope, nobody encouraged me to make extensive use of Races of Faerūn. It just worked out that way.
You see, one thing I wanted to do in the trilogy was feature some character-types that hadn't gotten a lot of exposure in other people's fiction. RoF had the info I needed to do that.
Anyway, to date, nobody at WotC has ever suggested writing any story in a way that showcases the material in a particular sourcebook. When they hired me to do the dragon trilogy, hey made sure I had an advance copy of Draconomicon, but, I think, that was just because they assumed it would be useful to me. And it certainly has been.

That's very encouraging to hear. I really think that the Rage goes a long way toward helping people interested in playing some of the non-standard races from RoF. It is one thing to read a stat block and another thing completely to see it in action. I know that in the last couple of weeks I have seen a surge in interest in Avariels on this board and the WotC boards. I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out that the Rage helped inspire this.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  08:48:35  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a question, just a comment.

I just picked up Dissolution (I know, I'm late doing this because I usually don't like to read about evil characters, but boy was I surprised here!! )

I just want to say that the novel is awesome so far (I'm around p.120, where Pharaun cleverly dodges Ryld on the circumstances of their alliance for the venture at hand... You can practically cut the tension with a knife when the mage does not want to get a rise out of the big fighter, the natural instincts kicking in when faced to a potential foe that is much bigger than you despite the fact that you have a gun/knife/something to give you the edge, in this case, Pharaun's arcane magic... )

In short, I want to thank you and congratulate you on writing this novel with such a clear and concise style... Your style does not keep me guessing: it is precise. Let the plot development surprise me: not the writing!! For that, I thank you, and I also praise you! You have managed to hook me back into "that drow thing", even after I had previously become jaded with the genre.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  14:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, PDK. I'm glad you're enjoying the story.
Go to Top of Page

Osieu
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  06:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Osieu's Homepage Send Osieu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

quote:

Essentially, Vorasaegha is a "guardian dragon" as described on pp. 16-17 of Draconomicon. But her attributes and behavior probably don't correspond exactly to what Draconomicon says they ought to be. I took the basic concept of a guardian dragon and ran with it in the way that seemed to work best for my particular story.

Dear Mr. Byers:
Thank you for answering ours questions on the net! I have a question here: I think the "dragon graveyard" of Faerun should be the Well of Dragons, whose guardian is the Dire Dragon. Does he has any thing to do with Vorasaegha? Thank you very much!

Edited by - Osieu on 29 Apr 2004 05:51:07
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  14:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"DEAD Mr. Byers"???? Holy crap, Osieu, do you know something I don't?
Sorry. I know it's juvenile to joke around about simple typoes, but that one amused me enough that I couldn't resist.
To answer your question:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

W
A
R
N
I
N
G

Vorasaegha has no connection to the Well of Dragons or its guardian.
Go to Top of Page

Osieu
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  05:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Osieu's Homepage Send Osieu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the typewrong, please forgive a newbie scribe...

And thank you for answering!
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  06:28:57  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in reference to the posters above who were talking about this Rage being too soon after the last one

if i have my FR lore right, there is a difference between a 'Rage' and a 'Flight'. richard or anyone else can correct me if i'm mistaken.

the Rages occur ever 300 or so years and the last one was 1018, and so we are actually a little past due for this one. Rages are much more destructive thus the Realms Shattering Event trilogy based on one.

Flights are much more common and thankfully much less destructive

although tell that to the receivers of the flights

i have bought the "Rage" and am skimming through my current FR trilogy so i can hurry up and get to reading it.

dragons are my favorite and i'm so glad they are coming to the forefront again

thanks richard.

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  13:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to my research, the Rage in my story did indeed arrive sooner that expected. I hope that by the end, everyone will feel that I've given a satisfactory explanation for why this is so.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  15:27:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you like Taegan, you may want to check out my tie-in story that'll be in Dragon #320. He's the central character.

For those interested, this Dragon Magazine has started to appear at some online stores as available for sale. Thus, it should be appearing in game stores very soon.
Go to Top of Page

Talinfein
Acolyte

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  12:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Talinfein's Homepage Send Talinfein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished The Rage about two weeks ago (just before Elminster“s Daughter arrived) and I have to say I just flew through that book. Amazing read. I kept finding myself wishing that FR novels would be longer because I had the feeling that if Mr. Byers would be given more space the characters would come to life all the more, especially Kara, but then it IS a trilogy and there“s more to come.

And I have to say, I just love Pavel and Will and the way they go at each other. So Dragon 320 is a must, I assume.

Very nice work, indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  13:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Delighted to hear you enjoyed the story, Talinfein.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  21:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a bit of news. Dragon Magazine is going to publish a second short story related to "The Year of Rogue Dragons." This one is about a turning point in the early life of Pavel Shemov, the cleric hero from the trilogy, and is a sword-and-sorcery murder mystery. It's supposed to run in the January, 2005 issue, and I hope everyone will check it out.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  21:20:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've got a bit of news. Dragon Magazine is going to publish a second short story related to "The Year of Rogue Dragons." This one is about a turning point in the early life of Pavel Shemov, the cleric hero from the trilogy, and is a sword-and-sorcery murder mystery. It's supposed to run in the January, 2005 issue, and I hope everyone will check it out.

Good to hear and thank you for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  13:06:18  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished The Rage and I have to say it was an interesting read, but not without some imo weak parts.

I got the impression that except for the final battle you had to make the combats short to stay within the page limit (If such thing exists).

That leads imo to this that many enemies, especially dragons, are easily dispatched. When reading the dragon battles, especially at the beginning of the book, I don't get the impression that they are a serious threat to Faerun.

I hope the other books feature less, but more dramatic battles which really show the power of dragons.

Otherwise, that you included the rarely used Song and Faery dragons was really interesting. I suppose Jivex and Taegan will form a permanent team?

Edited by - Inquisitor on 14 May 2004 13:19:33
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  15:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you'll see more of Taegan and Jivex together.
Go to Top of Page

Maskanodel
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  04:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Maskanodel's Homepage Send Maskanodel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers
I recently finished reading the Black Bouquet. Needless to say I was quite impressed. Made me look at Rogues in a whole new way.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
And I really found Aeron intriguing as a character. I was honestly disappointed in him when he "betrayed" Miri. I'm glad to see it was all part of an elaborate ruse. Overall, a memorable cast of characters. Kesk was a good villain, and I *hated* Sefris, which I'm sure was your intent all along.
I really enjoyed Nico, most of all. He seemed to be a very interesting character and I wouldve loved to have seen him in his heyday. Any plans for a involving Nico? You mention him to be quite a brawler in his heyday, as well as an amzing voice before the noose. I can see there being a great story involving him.
Also, where or what do you see Nicos and Aeron doing after they leave Oeble??

Thanks
Maskanodel

Ill Met On The River Of Dreams...
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  13:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Maskanodel.
A story about Nico's youth, you say? You know, that idea never occurred to me, but it's not a bad one, especially considering that you aren't the first reader to tell me you liked the character. Maybe someday I'll write one.
As far as where Aeron and Nico went after leaving Oeble, and what they did, to be honest, I haven't given it any thought. If I get the chance to do a sequel, I'll figure it out then.
Go to Top of Page

Maskanodel
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  16:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Maskanodel's Homepage Send Maskanodel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply. And if you ever get a chance to write it, I'll be sure to read it.

Ill Met On The River Of Dreams...
Go to Top of Page

Kezghan
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  20:05:36  Show Profile Send Kezghan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recently i picked up Dissolution and The Rage, i hadnt read any of your previous work. Well i have been pleasantly surprised with the vocabulary you use. I like how you also told the stories the characters were relaying in their own chapters as if they were currenly happening. excellent work.

Possible Spoilers:

The motley crew in the Rage is great, im sure many gamers who read these books are used to strange parties being together and you capture that with your half golem, arctic dwarf and winged elf, an a song dragon!

I dont mind that you didnt detail Sammasters return but i was secretly hoping to read about it.

And yes the dragons do seem to go down little too easily in some cases but hey the story has to move forward.

If you could write about any region or types of characters in the realms which would they be?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Kez'ghan

Is it wrong to name your first son Artemis?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  21:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's great to hear you're enjoying my stuff, Kez.
I don't have one specific place that I'm dying to write about. As a general principle, I'd rather write about places that haven't featured prominently in the fiction before. Or, failing that, that haven't gotten a lot of play in recent years. (Even though I had a lot of fun writing about Menzoberranzan.)
I don't have one specific type of character that I'm desperate to write about, either. In general, I feel more affinity for characters who are somewhat raffish and rough around the edges as opposed to saints and pure-hearted crusaders. But then again, I do have an idea for a novel or novels involving paladins, so it just goes to show, sometimes a writer gets an idea that takes him beyond his customary subject matter.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  16:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received my contributor's copies of Dragon #320 (with my Taegan Nightwind short story in it) in the mail. So I imagine the magazine will be turning up in stores soon if it hasn't already.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  16:41:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I received my contributor's copies of Dragon #320 (with my Taegan Nightwind short story in it) in the mail. So I imagine the magazine will be turning up in stores soon if it hasn't already.

Does WOTC when you write a novel for them, take the same above action in providing contributor copies? If so, are we talking five? ten? dozens?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  20:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any time you write anything for anybody, you're supposed to get contributor's copies. Generally, when you contribute a short story to a magazine or anthology, you can expect one or two copies. When somebody publishes one of your novels, you can expect at least a dozen copies. Sometimes I've gotten as many as thirty or so.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  20:33:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any time you write anything for anybody, you're supposed to get contributor's copies. Generally, when you contribute a short story to a magazine or anthology, you can expect one or two copies. When somebody publishes one of your novels, you can expect at least a dozen copies. Sometimes I've gotten as many as thirty or so.

I figured as much. However, the amount surprises even me. Nice to see companies taking care of authors like yourself.

<Wince> And apologies in advance as I realize having asked and gotten this question answered, you may get inundated with "Hey, can you send me a copy for free!" requests. That was not my intention when asking. Now, if I ever ask about projects that haven't been published yet, forgive any sly or overt attempts to get an outline or draft sent to me via email.
Go to Top of Page

ObsidianIII
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  07:26:51  Show Profile  Visit ObsidianIII's Homepage Send ObsidianIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rich, I am almost finished with "The Rage" its amazing, some of the best FR work ever. I burned through it, then had to slow down to make it last! Usually when reading a trilogy or any series, the first half of the first book is slow with set up etc...Not so in "The Rage" its grabs ya throws you down and takes off. I love that, its very rare in series books w/o established characters. Perfect the way you did that!

I did some nerdy "Star Trek" questions...hopefully you won't laugh at me like Bob Salvatore did.

SPOILER WARNING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You mentioned writing with resource materials in hand, may I ask what materials where used in this trilogy. I have never heard of an Oooze Drake or Smoke Drake, (with vampirism no doubt, nice touch!)or a Song Dragon.
I was wondering where I could read more about them. You mentioned Draconomicon, and I was wondering what other mosnter manuel's you used if any?

You mention "Rakes" refering to the fencers in Lyrabar. Just wondering, what exactly it means? Dictionary.com was no help!

Is the Teagan story in Dragon 320 giving us the background on why he left the Avariel?

January is long ways away, again can you speed up time so we can have the book now?!

"Greyones, or me mothers a friend of Orcs!" Bruenor Battlehammer"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  13:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Obsidian. Delighted to hear you're enjoying the book.
Your basic chromatic and metal dragons are in Monster Manual I. (You probably knew that, but I'm being thorough.) Elemental drakes, landwyrms, vampiric dragons, and faerie dragons are all in Draconomicon. Song dragons are in Monsters of Faerūn.
A rake is a young man about town who devotes himself to wenching, gambling, drinking, dueling, pranks, brawling, and whatever other sorts of hedonism and loose living are currently in fashion.
The Taegan story in Dragon #320 might give you a little more insight into why he left his people (although I hope The Rage made that reasonably clear already), but it's mainly about something that happened to him when he first emerged from the wilderness.
By the way, I saw the magazine in my local comics and gaming store last week, so it's available.
Haven't figured out how to speed up time as yet, but I'll work on it.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  14:28:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like with the story in the newest Dragon, we also get an illustration of Taegan. Did artist James Ryman just use the story as a source for the drawing or did he contact you as well to get details on depicting Taegan?

Thank you in advance for any reply.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000