Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 67

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  18:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis, your comments underscore what I was trying to say: Writers need to know from the get-go that they can't please every reader every time out of the gate. It may be the best we can hope for is that it's at least clear to readers that we weren't just phoning it in. We were giving the work out best shot, and thus, even those who didn't like it may decide there's some reason to hope they might like what we do next.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  00:05:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nice article, by the way.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  06:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  07:13:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Richard, I finally got Prophet of the Dead. I'm practically postponing all my appointments today so I could devour it without any distraction.

And oh, you might want to ask WotC to have Amazon post on their site the blurb as it appears on the physical book--which is way better than what's on their site currently.

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Feb 2013 07:54:41
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  14:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope you enjoy it, Dennis.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  15:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone. I don't usually load up the forums with messages that have nothing to do with the Realms or at least fantasy fiction in general, but I beg your indulgence this one time.

The following paragraphs were written by my friend Ann Morris. I hope you'll consider making a small donation. If you know Stacy Lung, you know she's a terrific person. If you ever attended Necronomicon (the Florida one) or one of the other conventions on which she worked, she contributed to your good time whether you happened to meet her or not. Here is Ann's message:

I've been letting people know about the Stacy Fund, a charity account set up to benefit Necronomicon Convention's art show director, Stacy Lung.

As some of you know, Stacy has suffered a catastrophic illness. She was found not breathing at the Run for Your Life event November 17, 2012 and has been either in the hospital or in a nursing home since that time. She can speak and her mental faculties seem to be all right but she has lost the use of her limbs. She is expected to have quite a lengthy stay in the nursing home for rehabilitation. Meanwhile, her medical costs keep rising (even though she currently has insurance from her job) and her mortgage payments and other bills keep coming. Her employment may run out and with it, her health insurance, so the situation could become even more dire than it currently is.

Stone Hill has set up a charity account to help her and we are asking fans to help a fellow fan. Stone Hill will match the first $500 to be donated to the Stacy Fund. You can send payments via PayPal. Use the address stacyfund at stonehill dot org

We will also be holding a special art auction at this year's Necronomicon. So, if you or someone you know is an artist and would like to donate a piece of your work to benefit Stacy, please get in touch with me via Facebook or at annmorris1 at yahoo dot com.

This information will be on our website shortly.

Please spread the word. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

gregthanatos
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  08:11:07  Show Profile  Visit gregthanatos's Homepage Send gregthanatos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently read Blind Gods Bluff and the book was great.

One of the things I like most about forgotten realms is that itís a shared fantasy universe with established rules. The magic, healing, races, locations, characters, and gods are somewhat familiar so I can enjoy a story without having to work that hard puzzling out the world the characters exist in. I can give authors I am unfamiliar with a chance, because I donít need them to have the capacity to compose all of that, while simultaneously crafting an engaging story, to like the book.

When it is done well, it can be a lot of fun to read a fantasy or science fiction book that is completely original. Blind Gods Bluff was done well. Byers has the skill to flesh out a new universe, with new rules, while developing new characters, and still tell a great tale. It was a pleasure to read.

A recurring thought I had while reading Blind Gods Bluff was that it would make an awesome movie. It has a wonderful plot and would probably be much cheaper to film, with fewer set pieces, than most fantasy stories.

I hope there will be more Billy Fox novels soon.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  13:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, gregthanatos. Very glad you liked it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  16:11:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I hope you enjoy it, Dennis.

I did!

If you're interested, you can read my Spoiler-FREE Review here.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  21:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read it and was naturally very pleased.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  13:34:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm really tempted to ask some things about the book, specially about Lod and Jhesri . . . but they're all major spoiler type of questions so I'll just wait a couple of months maybe, or at least until I learn that more scribes have already read it.

And again, Richard, thanks for doing your great share of keeping the Realms alive.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  13:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new post to The Night Bazaar deals with SEX!And also some classic pulp writers and characters.

http://night-bazaar.com/the-princess-the-pirate-and-the-gorgon.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  14:09:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hopefully this isn't much of a spoiler . . .

We were discussing about vampires of note and age in a different thread, and I remembered Nyevarra . . . How old exactly is she? I vaguely recall it was mentioned once that she's (just) a hundred-something old, counting her mortal existence up to her recent undead days?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  14:16:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My new post to The Night Bazaar deals with SEX!And also some classic pulp writers and characters.

http://night-bazaar.com/the-princess-the-pirate-and-the-gorgon.html

Favorite female character? Just one? Wow. It's difficult to chooseóthat's as difficult as choosing my favorite wizard.

Nice, article, Richard. Though I must admit, I'm not so familiar with most of your examples.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  14:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you found the article interesting, Dennis.

I no longer remember how old Nyevarra was exactly, but you can assume she was in her thirties or her youthful forties at the time of the Witch War.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  09:01:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see. Thanks.

And oh, I hope you could write a series or at least a stand-alone novel focusing on the Witch War. IMHO, 'tis one of the bloodiest yet un-detailed wars in Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  13:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Witch War clearly must have been an interesting conflict, Dennis. My one concern about writing about it (assuming that WotC wanted me to) is that we all already know how it came out. This, I think, has the potential to undercut the suspense that a good thriller or adventure novel needs.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  14:22:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You're probably right. But wasn't The Arcane Age trilogy published years after it became "common" knowledge how Netheril fell?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  18:10:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Witch War clearly must have been an interesting conflict, Dennis. My one concern about writing about it (assuming that WotC wanted me to) is that we all already know how it came out. This, I think, has the potential to undercut the suspense that a good thriller or adventure novel needs.

People keep saying that sort of thing, and yet - a commonly recurring plot in not-at-all shabby thrillers is the Nazi spy who may be about to reveal the plans for the allied landings in Normandy - which we all know he (it's usually a he) won't actually do, but in, for instance The Eye of the Needle or Female Agents (rubbish title, good movie) this still ends up being really suspenseful books (or films).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  19:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis, I believe you are correct. And Kajehase, you are certainly correct as well. If writers of historical adventure fiction took my concern too much to heart, many excellent stories would not get written. Yet at the same time, I do think it's one thing to consider when deciding whether to write about the past or the present of a fantasy world like the Realms.

Basically, if I'm telling you about a big historical event where you already know how it comes out, that's a problem I have to overcome to hold your interest. Now, if I'm on my game, I presumably can overcome it by getting you invested in the fates of my characters and having the story take interesting twists and turns on the way to the endpoint. But if you don't know how the Big Picture part of the tale is going to resolve, then I don't have the same problem to overcome. My job as a storyteller is a little easier.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  13:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new post to The Night Bazaar deals with religion in science fiction and fantasy:

http://night-bazaar.com/faith-and-fantasy.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  14:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new column on #AirlockAlpha has my unsolicited advice to the new writers of Green Lantern: http://airlockalpha.com/node/9527/astrojive-my-green-lantern-wish-list.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  08:57:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My new post to The Night Bazaar deals with religion in science fiction and fantasy:

http://night-bazaar.com/faith-and-fantasy.html
As always, an interesting article, Richard.

This:

quote:
Our goal is entertainment, and if a particular story or sequence ďmerelyĒ entertains, thatís okay. In fact, itís better than okay. Itís great.
I wholeheartedly agree. People (not just religious groups) who say there's some hidden demonic agenda in the Harry Potter series, D&D books, and, well, almost all fantasy novels are merely saying their own opinion. And opinions vary. They never are the rules. I simply ignore them, and probably that's what fantasy readers and writers alike should do. The more you try to reason with these people, the more they believe you are wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the article, Dennis.
Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Seeker

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  19:07:26  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, I just got a paperback copy of The Prophet of the Dead, which as ever is an excellent read!

There is a misprint on page 2 though: 'Because the dread she felt wasn't natural. It was the result of some supernatural influence the creature was exerting. She rattled off a charm of warding, but it failed to clear her head. "Fall down and w 343 344 said. "Otherwise I'll devour you, body and soul, and the scraps of you I leave on my plate will rise up to serve me in pain and shame forever".

Are you able to reveal what the missing lines are???

Thanks!

Edited by - Tarrok of Halruaa on 24 Feb 2013 19:08:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000