Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  12:40:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It has been released in major and almost all markets worldwide, yet it has earned a pathetic $140M only. Add the more pathetic domestic earning of $85M, you get $225M. Not a good number, considering their production budget ($190M) and the number of days since its release.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  12:55:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't think the movie was all that, myself, but almost everyone I know that has seen it has really enjoyed it... Of course, almost everyone I know is in the target demographic of folks who would enjoy giant robot/giant monster flicks!

To me, it was like a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion, without the angst.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  15:33:59  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To me, it was like a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion, without the angst.

I have not seen it yet, but THIS makes me want to very badly.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  16:47:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually part of why I didn't care for it. I like Evangelion and all (I even have figures of several of the Evas), and I was actually watching it as it was being released on VHS.

So because I'd already seen humanity using giant robots to fight for its existence against giant monsters, Pacific Rim did not impress. It also didn't help that I found myself questioning a lot of the plot elements.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Jul 2013 16:48:56
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  17:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even though I made fun of it (and, I think, fairly) in my column, I actually enjoyed Pacific Rim quite a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  17:44:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is a movie that one should not analyze at all. Its poor performance in the worldwide box office can be attributed to the sensibilities of some patriotic people from other countries who might see the ending as some sort of an affront. It’s one of those “Everybody dies, America saves the day—again” type of movie. What makes it worse is the fact that while movies of the same type try to subtly hide it, this one makes it rather too obvious.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  23:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You think? The team operating out of the Shatterdome seemed pretty international to me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  23:35:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

You think? The team operating out of the Shatterdome seemed pretty international to me.

Indeed. Not only that, but they'd been cut off from funding and were operating solo, and the crew of Gipsy Danger was one American and one Japanese.

Even with that aside, it's not unreasonable to assume that in an American-made movie, for American audiences, that has a save the world scenario, that Americans are going to be prominent in saving the day.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  17:01:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And that is the problem. You said it yourself: for American audiences. As for Mako, well, true, she is Japanese, but then again, it was an American who saved her and made her what and who she was by the time she copiloted Gipsy Danger.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  17:31:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

And that is the problem. You said it yourself: for American audiences. As for Mako, well, true, she is Japanese, but then again, it was an American who saved her and made her what and who she was by the time she copiloted Gipsy Danger.

I don't see how it is a problem for a movie intended for Americans to cater to Americans. I've never heard people watch an anime and complain that a Japanese person saved the world...

If someone doesn't like not being the target audience for the movie, they shouldn't go see it. If they do see it, they shouldn't complain that they weren't the target audience.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  17:53:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is a problem to foreign audiences because many countries were involved only to have silly robots easily quashed by bloated alien monsters. Compare it with the Transformers movies, at least they do not present foreign involvement, or not that much, that is. Better ignore the rest of the world, and just give the audience the idea that their individual countries are secretly taking measures to deal with alien threats than actually depicting countries like incompetent fools. And if you take the rest of the world on the table, be sure you give them (or at least most of them) their due credit.

With their vast resources and (expendable) manpower, Russia and China could have done a neat job exterminating the kaijus. It is not that I do not want the US to win (the hell I care who wins, anyway). But again, they do not need to have the “final” credit either.

---------------------

Richard, I do not know what to say about your recent article. I have no problem with the other parts, but the Man of Steel section . . . Well, as General Zod told Jor-El, “Heresy!”

Edited by - Dennis on 01 Aug 2013 17:59:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  18:27:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, those other countries and their robots did just fine until the kaiju were evolved to counter them.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Aug 2013 18:28:01
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  18:36:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And only Gipsy Danger is a match to the evolved kaijus because it has the best pilots and it is a walking nuclear reactor. Russia, anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  18:58:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

And only Gipsy Danger is a match to the evolved kaijus because it has the best pilots and it is a walking nuclear reactor. Russia, anyone?

Actually, Gipsy Danger worked because it was outdated and the kaiju didn't have a defense against its archaic systems, because it had been decommissioned in favor of more successful and newer models -- like the Russian one or the one driven by the triplets.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  20:12:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You’re missing the point. Everything else didn’t work except Gipsy Danger. Period. And it being outdated is a pathetic excuse (not referring to your argument, but to the movie itself). If anything, Cherno Alpha, being the oldest model, should have had that excuse. But no, America should have its way.

Del Toro should have learned a thing or two from Avengers. While it’s pretty clear from the beginning that Hulk could smash all the Chitauri to pieces without breaking sweat, everybody—and I mean every superhero assembled—did their fair share of smashing. And there’s no “last man left standing.” It’s “all men still standing” in the end (and a woman, with one man lying but alive, if you want to be literal). But no, Del Toro can’t have that. All the pilots must die a silly death save the pilots of Gipsy Danger, and Mr. Good Australian Father survived only because he was injured and no longer capable of copiloting Striker Eureka.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  20:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little support for my contention that Pacific Rim 2 may indeed happen.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/456834-comic-con-2013-cosplay-gallery-850-photos/item/sdcc2013_829/
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  16:06:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm its a very nice cosplay of Emperor Palatine but if I may ask what does that have to do with there being a Pacific Rim 2?
Some very good photos though, thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  16:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn. As you've know doubt guessed, I had the wrong link loaded up to Paste. Here's one that will, I hope, take you to a discussion of the possibility of there being a Pacific Rim 2:

http://screencrush.com/pacific-rim-2/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  18:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is my tentative programming schedule for Dragon Con. (Odds are, it won't change, but you never know until they send you the final version.)

The below information is the TENTATIVE program schedule for Richard Lee Byers.
Convention Dates are Fri(8/30/13), Sat(8/31/13), Sun(9/1/13), and Mon(9/2/13)
Richard Lee Byers

-------------------
Title: Writing Non-Fiction for Fun and Profit
Time: Fri 04:00 pm Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1 Hour)

-------------------
Title: Okay, You Sold It. Now What?
Description: For writers who've sold their first novels and/or short stories. What should you expect next?
Time: Sun 01:00 pm Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1 Hour)

-------------------
Title: Jeepers Creepers--WTF is Lurking Out There?
Description: Vampires, zombies, goblins, werewolves, demons...where are they all coming from? Where are they going? Am I too late to catch that market?
Time: Mon 11:30 am Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1 Hour)

-------------------
Title: Writers Roundtable
Description: Now is the time to get all your questions answered. This panel is open for all writing questions.
Time: Mon 02:30 pm Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1 Hour)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  18:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice article on The Sundering (except that it doesn't include the names of any of us novelists except for Bob):

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/wizards-of-the-coast-is-about-to-start-a-massive-global-game-of-dd-to-resha
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  14:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A trailer for The Sundering, including the gaming aspects of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W__zxJroio
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  21:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
f you're interested in The Sundering and can get to Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday, 8/14, you may want to check this out.

http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2013/08/08/author-preview-dungeons--dragons-authors-highlight-thurber-house-panel.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  20:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You guys probably don't need me to tell you this. But just in case someone is curious and hasn't gotten around to looking yet:

This is the official Wizards of the Coast site promoting The Sundering:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/sundering.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  14:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out the cover of my new eBook The Impostor #2: The Blood Machine. The cover is the work of my talented artist friend Jamie Stubkjaer. The eBook itself should be available on Amazon by the end of the day.

http://rleebyers.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  20:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Impostor #2: The Blood Machine is the second installment in my post-apocalyptic superhero saga. You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Impostor-Blood-Machine-ebook/dp/B00EODEPBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377111796&sr=8-1&keywords=the+impostor+%232%3A+the+blood+machine
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  04:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For anyone who might be interested, here is my official finalized Dragon Con panel schedule:

Title: Writing Non-fiction for Fun and Profit
Time: Fri 04:00 pm Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1)

Title: Okay, You Sold It. Now What?
Time: Sun 01:00 pm Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1)
Description: For writers who've sold their first novels and/or short stories. What should you expect next?

Title: Jeepers Creepers: WTF is Lurking Out There?
Time: Mon 11:30 am Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1)
Description: A discussion of vampires, zombies, goblins, werewolves, demons, and other paranormal creatures in the literary market.

Title: Writers Roundtable
Time: Mon 02:30 pm Location: Embassy D-F - Hyatt (Length: 1)
Description: Now is the time to get all your questions answered. This panel is open for all writing questions.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  13:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The New Pulp Heroes is an encyclopedia of the larger-than-life heroes of the New Pulp movement. It now includes an entry for my character The Impostor. If you'd like to check out the site, here's a link:

http://newpulpheroes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  14:23:51  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm sounds pretty interesting, times like this I wish i had a Kindle.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  17:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You don't actually need a Kindle. You can download the free Kindle app to the gadget of your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  12:18:35  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes I forgot about that. I ll be sure to check it out soon then.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000