Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  23:59:24  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no sample chapters for "THE COMPANIONS: THE SUNDERING BOOK I" either...wotc is keeping this thork hush hush until it starts. But I do imagine some great information from Gencon (Considering it starts a week or two after book I comes out) >.>;
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  00:58:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I doubt that. Paul has been releasing sample chapters of Godborn every month, starting last April.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  10:44:39  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr Byers, I want to ask how do you handle magic in your Forgotten Realm novels?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  13:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
XZ: That's kind of a big, general question. Can you be a little bit more specific?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  14:33:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Richard!

Can you tell us how "big" the brotherhood is to date? How may griffon riders, bowmen, spearmen, mages, etc., are there?

Also, Richard, can you tell us who the former master of Lod was? I don’t recall he/she/it was ever named in Prophet of the Dead.

Edited by - Dennis on 05 Jun 2013 15:51:36
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  22:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Dennis.

Honestly, I never created a whole identity or even coined a name for Lod's original master because it wasn't important to the story. He was just some powerful wizard.

And, again to be honest, I tend to be vague about exactly how many guys are in the Brotherhood because it makes it harder for me to screw up. I don't have to worry about readers coming to me and saying, "You know, according to the numbers you've reported in your novels, the Brotherhood really should have been wiped out to the last man by now."

And in my defense, it's a constantly fluctuating number. Guys enlist. Guys die. Guys quit. As you know from reading Prophet of the Dead, Aoth has just added a whole interesting new contingent to his forces.

But I would say that when the ranks are full, the Brotherhood might have substantially over a thousand guys. When times are at their worst, they might only have several hundred. Their fortunes have waxed and waned since Aoth founded them about a century ago. (Someday, I would love to tell stories from the early years.)

What makes the force special is, of course, the griffon riders and their mounts. The griffon riders are mostly descendants of the other Thayan legionnaires who, following Aoth's lead, quit on the surviving zulkirs after they fled into exile. But most of the Brotherhood officers, including Gaedynn, Jhesrhi, and Khouryn, learn to ride griffons as well. There are probably a couple hundred griffon riders.

As you've probably gleaned from reading the novels, the Brotherhood mainly consists of the griffon riders, infantry, archer/skirmishers, mages, and some artillerymen. There are few if any conventional cavalry, partly because it's so hard to keep the griffons from eating the horses.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  10:09:50  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@RLB: Oh ok, uh, well more or less the system of magic that DND uses and how you portray it in your books?
For example there is a clear difference in say for example your Haunted Lands trilogy where that is the 3.5e system of magic and with the 4e system of magic.

Does the system also impede/aid the way you write?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  13:18:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thank you, Richard! Much, much appreciated.

A little follow-up: Lod mentioned that ever since he acquired his freedom, he had been gathering magical lore and artifacts from all across the world, which ultimately enabled him to scribe the Codex of Aurant. Larloch has been known as a great hoarder of magical knowledge and items, especially those of necromancy. Would you say it’s possible Lod and/or his former master had been somehow tied to Larloch directly/indirectly?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  15:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
XZ: Honestly, I didn't change much in my portrayal of magic when 4e came in. The description of magic in 3.5 gives a fiction writer more to work with, at least in my opinion.

You can see this particularly in the way I continued to describe clerical healing magic, which is very 3.5.

Overall, I have gotten a little less OCD about maintaining complete consistency with every fiddly little detail of the magic system. After you've had the rule system switched out from under you, you realize that's pointless because a time will come when your novels no longer perfectly match the sourcebooks no matter what.

I don't remember a time when the rules got in the way of something I wanted to write because I'm willing to bend them or go beyond them for the sake of the story. I think that can be justified on the grounds that just because the rulebooks don't contain a particular spell, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Wizards presumably invent new spells with some frequency.

Dennis: Since Larloch is a Toril guy and Lod is a an Abeir guy, it seems unlikely that their back stories interconnect. But then again, planar travel is possible, so if a GM wanted to use this in his particular version of the Realms, he could rationalize it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  16:04:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2013 :  05:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I've mentioned previously, my schedule for this year's Gen Con is a work in progress. Here's the most current version:

Thursday

10 AM: What should I write? (Writer's Symposium programming track)

11 AM: Heroes and Villains (Writer's Symposium)

7 PM: A Night with Dungeons and Dragons (Wizards of the Coast programming track)

Friday

8 AM: Worldbuilding 101 for Writers (Writer's Symposium)

Noon: Government and the Rule of Law (Writer's Symposium)

Saturday

8 AM Sharing Worlds (Writer's Symposium)

10 AM: Horror (Writer's Symposium)

11 AM: Urban fantasy (Writer's Symposium)

4 PM: The Fate of the Forgotten Realms (Wizards of the Coast)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  19:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New blog post: What I Learned Scripting My First Graphic Novel:

rleebyers.livejournal.com/55489.html
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  20:54:57  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there going to be a Kindle version of The Reaver: The Sundering, Book IV and, if so, do you have any idea of when we will be able to preorder it?

I just finished Prophet of the Dead. I really enjoyed it. I really like the addition of Orgurth.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  02:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very glad you enjoyed PotD, Lothios.

I'm reasonably confident there will be a Kindle version of The Reaver, but I don't know how soon they'll make it available for preorder.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  02:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my new Airlock Alpha column, I consider which DC heroes belong in the Justice League movie:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9717/astrojive-a-justice-league-movie-which-justice-league.html
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  06:14:36  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen Scott Lynch's "proposal" for how to do a Wonder Woman movie?

Also: No Hawkman or Hawkgirl? Boo! ;)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  14:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not seen the proposal you mention. I'll check it out.

Hawkgirl did make my short list of characters to fill slots 6 and 7. She worked well in the animated series, and I like the way she's been portrayed in the Earth-2 series.

Hawman, I might have included if I'd included Green Arrow, since the conflicts between the two made the stories in which they both appeared more interesting.

Overall, though, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the Hawks. There are just other DC heroes who are more interesting to me.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  18:19:24  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

In my new Airlock Alpha column, I consider which DC heroes belong in the Justice League movie:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9717/astrojive-a-justice-league-movie-which-justice-league.html

Great article. I just have one question. If the Wonder Twins appear in the new Justice League movie (and I am NOT advocating this) would they take up one of your slots or two?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  13:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the article, Lotios.

I would probably give the Wonder Twins one slot. But I would only include them under protest.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  14:07:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

A very interesting article.
I would love to see Zatanna in a JLA movie. The supernatural side of the DC universe doesnt get as attention as it deserves.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  16:22:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting article, Richard. I am not sure I would drop the Marsian from the list though.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  20:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thauranil, Dennis, glad you found it interesting.

As I mentioned, I was reluctant to drop the Martian Manhunter simply because he's one of my favorite DC characters. I still do think it would be a smart move for this particular movie, though.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  21:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The talented urban fantasy writer and all-around cool person Gina X. Grant has written a very kind review of my urban fantasy Blind God's Bluff. You can read it here:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/546893277
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be a program participant at Metrocon on Saturday, 7/27. My panels:

6 PM: What Do You Read"

8 PM: Marvel Movieverse

10 PM: CW - Still Awesome After All These Years

Between panels, of course, I'll be happy to sign books or shoot the breeze about my own work, the Forgotten Realms, or whatever.

You can get info on Metrocon here: http://www.metroconventions.com
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  00:28:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For anyone who might be interested, here is my complete Gen Con schedule. All events are one hour unless indicated otherwise.

Thursday

10 AM: What should I write? (Writer’s Symposium programming track) ICC 245

11 AM: Heroes and Villains (Writer’s Symposium) ICC 245

1 PM: Signing (Wizards of the Coast programming track) ICC Hall D

7 PM: A Night with Dungeons and Dragons (Wizards of the Coast) - 4 hours - Indiana Roof Ballroom

Friday

8 AM: Worldbuilding 101 for Writers (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 244

10 AM: Signing (Paizo programming track) Paizo booth, Dealer’s Room

Noon: Wordlbuilding: Government and the Rule of Law (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 244

2 PM Signing (Wizards of the Coast) ICC Hall D

Saturday

8 AM: Exploring Genres: Shared Worlds (Writer’s Symposium) ICC 245

10 AM: Exploring Genres: Horror (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 245

11 AM: Exploring Genres: Urban fantasy (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 245

2 PM Signing (Wizards of the Coast) ICC Hall D

4 PM: The Fate of the Forgotten Realms (Wizards of the Coast) - 2 hours - ICC 120

6 PM: Candlekeep presents: The Harpers at Twilight (candlekeep.com programming track) - 4 hours - Crowne Plaza: Victoria Station A/B (I can’t do the whole 4 hours but will be there for a while sometime between 6 and 9.)

Sunday

10 AM: Signing (Paizo) Paizo booth, Dealer’s Room

3 PM: Pathfinder Tales Reading and Q&A (Paizo) ICC 231
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  02:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Fiendish but Wacky," a critique of the master plans of the villains in this season's SF movies, is my new column on Airlock Alpha:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9764/astrojive-fiendish-but-wacky.html
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  20:11:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please tell us a longer story about Honkgrunt the Many-Eyed, uncle Richard.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  23:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll see what I can do when Pacific Rim 2 comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  06:29:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pacific Rim 2? Very unlikely. The current one is doing a terrible job in the box office.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  12:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, Pacific Rim didn't do that great domestically, but it's doing significantly better internationally. A sequel is not out of the question.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000