Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  12:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My essay "Things I Learned About Science from Popular Entertainment" is now available as a post to The Night Bazaar:

http://night-bazaar.com/things-i-learned-about-science-from-popular-entertainment.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  14:47:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Again, great essay, Richard.

Of those five you enumerated, which experiments have you performed yourself? [Though I daresay I'm a having a feeling it's number two.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  21:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sadly, none. I lack the aptitude for super-science.

Glad you liked the essay.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  12:05:09  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a pity, still its a hilarious article. A good start to my day.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  14:02:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Thauranil. It's probably my favorite out of all the little non-fiction pieces I've done.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  04:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Vampire's Apprentice, a horror novel I wrote early in my career (more than twenty years ago) has been republished as an ebook for the Kindle. You can check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT1T48S/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  20:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the line-up for the 2013 Gen Con Indy Writer's Symposium. I believe we're in for some quality symposinating.

Saladin Ahmed, Lou Anders, Brad Beaulieu, Donald J. Bingle, Dylan Birtolo, Maurice Broaddus, Jennifer Brozek, Richard Lee Byers, Wesley Chu, Lawrence C. Connolly, Larry Correia, Maxwell Alexander Drake, Erin M. Evans, Dave Farland, Matt Forbeck, Jaym Gates, Paul Genesse, Jerry Gordon, Dave Gross, Sarah Hans, John Helfers, Jim C. Hines, William H. Horner III, Kerrie L. Hughes, Howard Andrew Jones, Gary Kloster, Mary Robinette Kowal, Jay Kristoff, James Lowder, Scott Lynch, Ari Marmell, Robert Mosher, Daniel Myers, Chris Pierson, Patrick Rothfuss, Jason Sanford, Ken Scholes, Erik Scott de Bie, Lucy A. Snyder, Mike Stackpole, George Strayton, James L. Sutter, Kelly Swails, Marc Tassin, Howard Tayler, Monica Valentinelli, Elizabeth Vaughan, Gregory A. Wilson, and 2013 Gen Con Indy Author Guest of Honor, Mercedes Lackey.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  12:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My essay "How to Spoof (and How Not To)" is now a post to the Night Bazaar. It's a discussion of parody. Check it out:

http://night-bazaar.com/how-to-spoof-and-how-not-to.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  13:07:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

This is the line-up for the 2013 Gen Con Indy Writer's Symposium. I believe we're in for some quality symposinating.

Saladin Ahmed, Lou Anders, Brad Beaulieu, Donald J. Bingle, Dylan Birtolo, Maurice Broaddus, Jennifer Brozek, Richard Lee Byers, Wesley Chu, Lawrence C. Connolly, Larry Correia, Maxwell Alexander Drake, Erin M. Evans, Dave Farland, Matt Forbeck, Jaym Gates, Paul Genesse, Jerry Gordon, Dave Gross, Sarah Hans, John Helfers, Jim C. Hines, William H. Horner III, Kerrie L. Hughes, Howard Andrew Jones, Gary Kloster, Mary Robinette Kowal, Jay Kristoff, James Lowder, Scott Lynch, Ari Marmell, Robert Mosher, Daniel Myers, Chris Pierson, Patrick Rothfuss, Jason Sanford, Ken Scholes, Erik Scott de Bie, Lucy A. Snyder, Mike Stackpole, George Strayton, James L. Sutter, Kelly Swails, Marc Tassin, Howard Tayler, Monica Valentinelli, Elizabeth Vaughan, Gregory A. Wilson, and 2013 Gen Con Indy Author Guest of Honor, Mercedes Lackey.
That's a great roster. A pity I couldn't make it.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  13:05:29  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  13:37:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nice article, Richard.

Parody. Hmm. Honestly, I can’t say I belong to the target audience. I don’t avoid this type of films or TV shows, but most often than not, they fail to interest me. The only spoof-fraught film that I thoroughly enjoyed was a local one, and you probably haven’t even heard of it.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  19:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you found it interesting, Dennis.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  19:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted previously that The Vampire's Apprentice, an early horror novel of mine, had been republished for the Kindle. You can now get it for the Nook as well:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/vampires-apprentice-richard-lee-byers/1000468247?ean=2940016183756
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  04:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just in case anybody's interested, here's a link to my new RebelMouse page. I'm not sure what this page is doing for me that my regular Facebook page wasn't doing already, but it looks pretty.

https://www.rebelmouse.com/rleebyers/
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  12:35:43  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I am not active on rebelmouse but I am a fan of yours on goodreads and thanks for creating such a comprehensive list of FR novels on Goodreads. It made adding the ones I had read much easier.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  21:30:07  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rage, Rite, Ruin, and Realms of Dragon Vol 1 are on ITunes and Audible in audio.
Any idea if Realms of Dragons II is going to be done in Audio?
I can’t find it anywhere, and I am pretty good at the search thing.
I don’t believe Vol II exists in audio, and it seems to me that whoever coordinated the Audio book push might not have been aware there was a volume II, because no other “Realms of” books had a volume II. excluding “Best of Realms”.

Now, you may be asking “Why are you bothering me with this Thrasy. I didn’t have a short story in that volume. You know this is cutting into the writing time.”

I am only point it out because it makes the Rogue Dragons series incomplete in audio. I am thinking of the poor sod who is chasing down their favorite author who contributed to that volume, and gets a chance to discover the rest of Byer’s World. And on a selfish note I want it.

If it is indeed an oversight an inquiry from you is more effective than my streaking with a protest sign around Wizards HQ.
And we don’t want it to come to that.

So, do you know if Vol II was done, or if it’s going to be done?

And I really do respect the writing time. Thanks for fielding our questions.

Edit: It's Rogue Dragons, not Rougue Dragons.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 18 Mar 2013 21:31:48
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  22:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Next time I am in communication with them, I'll ask. We shouldn't hold our breaths waiting for an answer, though. I've been waiting for a while to hear if there's any chance of The Spectral Blaze doing back to press.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  02:57:16  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms: The Spectral Blaze (Brotherhood of the Griffon #3)
Amazon: Mass Market Paperback - $49.95
Barnes and Noble (other sellers): $185.15
At those prices I wondered if there was there a leather bound gild edged version I missed.

I bet Brotherhood will get the Omnibus treatment like they did to War of the Spiderqueen.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  11:32:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

One of our local bookstores, Fullybooked, still has one copy of Spectral Blaze for PHP 345.00 (roughly USD 8.00). I can buy it for you if you want. But then again, you still have to shoulder the shipping fee as well. That one from Amazon is inclusive of shipping, right?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  13:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis, if you're talking to me, I don't need another copy. But somebody reading this forum might.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  13:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new column on Airlock Alpha addresses the subject of a group boycotting a writer's work because it disagrees with his views. Check it out:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9541/search-for-truth-justice-american-way-2013-style.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  14:35:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dennis, if you're talking to me, I don't need another copy. But somebody reading this forum might.
Oh, sorry, that was meant for Thrasymachus.

On a different note, I have a spoiler question: (Please highlight to read.)

Is Lod really dead? If so, was it your decision to kill him or WotC's?

We have a discussion on this matter in this thread, just in case you want to chime in.

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  15:06:03  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Oh, sorry, that was meant for Thrasymachus.

On a different note, I have a spoiler question: (Please highlight to read.)

Is Lod really dead? If so, was it your decision to kill him or WotC's?

We have a discussion on this matter in this thread, just in case you want to chime in.

You could have just PM'd me.
Sorry, When Richard mentioned he was waiting to hear if Spectral Blaze was going back to press, I threw up those prices for what Spectral Blaze is selling for. I was making the argument that it should go back to press.
I rarely wade into the Wizards forums, but a while back I posted this rant about out of print Realms selling for crazy money on Amazon and second hand sites. The argument was a sarcastic "I didn't realize Wizards was making so much money that they pee away profits on products they own to the second hand stores." - Something like that anyway.
Since then they are releasing old source PDF, and novels on audio and I am happily budgeting to scoop it all up. So I am guessing someone at Wizards at HQ must have seen the same thing.
I have everything RLB and most of the FR authors have done for the Realms. In some cases several copies because I use almost all the FR novels as props.
But thanks for thinking of me.

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 22 Mar 2013 15:06:45
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  17:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis: The answers to your two-part question.

1. Yes, as far as I'm concerned. In a shared world, people can come in after you and undo what you did, but I doubt that will happen in this case.

2. My idea. Of course, WotC had to okay it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  17:55:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the quick reply, Richard.

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  11:36:47  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard, hope you're doing well.

I recently ordered several books from a website I normally use, and among them were the Spectral Blaze and the masked witches. I received my books as per usual except for the Spectral Blaze. They told me their suppliers says the book is out of print. I was wondering if this is true, or are they duping me or just misinformed?

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  12:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently, The Spectral Blaze really is out of print. I've asked the publisher about going back to press but have yet to hear one way or the other.

You can still get it as either an audiobook or an ebook. If you don't have a device that will read ebooks, you can download the Kindle or NOOK App to your computer for free.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  12:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My essay "How Real Do You Want It?" (about writing fight scenes) is now a post to The Night Bazaar.

http://night-bazaar.com/how-real-do-you-want-it.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  12:41:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My new column on Airlock Alpha addresses the subject of a group boycotting a writer's work because it disagrees with his views. Check it out:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9541/search-for-truth-justice-american-way-2013-style.html
An insightful essay, Richard.

I'm gay, and I'm definitely not buying any Card novels.Protests and the like bore me, so you wouldn't see me actively joining those “concerned” citizens in the streets. But they have my (silent) support. You see, ‘tis one of the reasons I sometimes wish to know as little about an author as possible, because half the time, I discover something about them that either makes me hate them or completely ignore them.

This got me thinking too:
quote:
So I think the attempt to separate Mr. Card from DC is both ethical and understandable. But it may also be harsh, especially if, as seems likely, the story he would write would have nothing to do with gay rights, pro or con.
Harsh, maybe. But would we rather wait till Card makes a solid foothold on DC with his stories and eventually does as he pleases with his future projects, including (Nine Hells forbid) gay bashing? What’s worse, he’s writing about the only DC character I cared about.

I’m glad to know though that you’re not against same-sex marriage/relationship.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  13:23:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My essay "How Real Do You Want It?" (about writing fight scenes) is now a post to The Night Bazaar.

http://night-bazaar.com/how-real-do-you-want-it.html
I loved it. I tend to write detailed fight scenes myself, which works for me just fine. If it's not as detailed as I can make it, it only means I'm bored and should either scrap that scene and write a new one, or leave it for the time being and go back to it later.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000