Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  09:01:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see. Thanks.

And oh, I hope you could write a series or at least a stand-alone novel focusing on the Witch War. IMHO, 'tis one of the bloodiest yet un-detailed wars in Faerun.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  13:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Witch War clearly must have been an interesting conflict, Dennis. My one concern about writing about it (assuming that WotC wanted me to) is that we all already know how it came out. This, I think, has the potential to undercut the suspense that a good thriller or adventure novel needs.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  14:22:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You're probably right. But wasn't The Arcane Age trilogy published years after it became "common" knowledge how Netheril fell?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  18:10:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

The Witch War clearly must have been an interesting conflict, Dennis. My one concern about writing about it (assuming that WotC wanted me to) is that we all already know how it came out. This, I think, has the potential to undercut the suspense that a good thriller or adventure novel needs.

People keep saying that sort of thing, and yet - a commonly recurring plot in not-at-all shabby thrillers is the Nazi spy who may be about to reveal the plans for the allied landings in Normandy - which we all know he (it's usually a he) won't actually do, but in, for instance The Eye of the Needle or Female Agents (rubbish title, good movie) this still ends up being really suspenseful books (or films).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  19:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dennis, I believe you are correct. And Kajehase, you are certainly correct as well. If writers of historical adventure fiction took my concern too much to heart, many excellent stories would not get written. Yet at the same time, I do think it's one thing to consider when deciding whether to write about the past or the present of a fantasy world like the Realms.

Basically, if I'm telling you about a big historical event where you already know how it comes out, that's a problem I have to overcome to hold your interest. Now, if I'm on my game, I presumably can overcome it by getting you invested in the fates of my characters and having the story take interesting twists and turns on the way to the endpoint. But if you don't know how the Big Picture part of the tale is going to resolve, then I don't have the same problem to overcome. My job as a storyteller is a little easier.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  13:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new post to The Night Bazaar deals with religion in science fiction and fantasy:

http://night-bazaar.com/faith-and-fantasy.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  14:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new column on #AirlockAlpha has my unsolicited advice to the new writers of Green Lantern: http://airlockalpha.com/node/9527/astrojive-my-green-lantern-wish-list.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  08:57:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My new post to The Night Bazaar deals with religion in science fiction and fantasy:

http://night-bazaar.com/faith-and-fantasy.html
As always, an interesting article, Richard.

This:

quote:
Our goal is entertainment, and if a particular story or sequence “merely” entertains, that’s okay. In fact, it’s better than okay. It’s great.
I wholeheartedly agree. People (not just religious groups) who say there's some hidden demonic agenda in the Harry Potter series, D&D books, and, well, almost all fantasy novels are merely saying their own opinion. And opinions vary. They never are the rules. I simply ignore them, and probably that's what fantasy readers and writers alike should do. The more you try to reason with these people, the more they believe you are wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the article, Dennis.
Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  19:07:26  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, I just got a paperback copy of The Prophet of the Dead, which as ever is an excellent read!

There is a misprint on page 2 though: 'Because the dread she felt wasn't natural. It was the result of some supernatural influence the creature was exerting. She rattled off a charm of warding, but it failed to clear her head. "Fall down and w 343 344 said. "Otherwise I'll devour you, body and soul, and the scraps of you I leave on my plate will rise up to serve me in pain and shame forever".

Are you able to reveal what the missing lines are???

Thanks!

Edited by - Tarrok of Halruaa on 24 Feb 2013 19:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  02:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Fall down and worship me," the pale man said. "Otherwise etc.

Glad you enjoyed the story.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  12:12:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, the missing part is actually in the spoiler page (the very first page). And of course, in the sample chapter that WotC made available prior to the novel's release date.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  04:10:50  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What were the missing lines?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  13:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Xar: Please see my last post before this one.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  02:36:07  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, i think it double posted or something like that.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  22:07:27  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prophet of the Dead is the latest on shelves.
Feb 2014: The Reaver (The Sundering 4 right?)
Anything else in the works for the Forgotten Realms? Short Stories in Dragon Magazine or an up and coming anthology?

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 01 Mar 2013 05:55:31
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  13:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thrasymachus: The Reaver is indeed Sundering #4.

I will be doing more FR novels after it, but it's not time to talk about those yet.

There are no plans for me to do FR more short fiction at this time. I'd be glad to do more, but nobody at WotC has asked for any lately.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  14:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is coming up. (Yeah, I know you can all ask me questions here, but still, someone might be interested.)

Reddit AMA, r/fantasy
Richard Lee Byers and Tim Pratt
March 7, 2013

Join acclaimed authors Richard Lee Byers and Tim Pratt to discuss their new Pathfinder Tales novels, fantasy and adventure. The site will take questions all day, so don't worry about missing out!

Several Pathfinder Tales gift packs will be offered, in digital or print (winner's choice), in a random give-away.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will be doing more FR novels after it, but it's not time to talk about those yet.

There are no plans for me to do FR more short fiction at this time. I'd be glad to do more, but nobody at WotC has asked for any lately.

That's a shame too, about the short fiction. I think the Sundering (and the Spellplague before it) are the types of events that scream for "Realms Of" type books to let us know what is happening elsewhere and possibly to known characters who don't get books in the series (like a certain Thayan sellsword captain, or in the case of the Spellplague the survivors of the Rogue Dragon trilogy).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  19:24:01  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the update. I'll just be here clicking the refresh button.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  06:52:05  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I answered my own question about Itunes availability. Yes! RLB has audio books available on Itunes also. If you go looking through the Wizard’s website they only point to Audible. I did some searches on the Itunes store and here’s what I found, and how you can find them, because all searches are not created equal. All of these except The Shattered Mask (I don’t think they did that one) turned up by searching “Forgotten Realms”. If I wrote “Yes” it’s available on Itunes.

The Halls of Stormweather (Yes: Searching by “Richard Lee Byers” fails probably because it’s an Anthology, but it turns up when searched by title)
The Shattered Mask (Search by Author and/or title fails to find this. Maybe not released yet)
Dissolution (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Black Bouquet (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

Realms of the Dragons Anthology (short story by RLB) (Yes: Searching by “Richard Lee Byers” fails probably because it’s an Anthology, but it turns up when searched by title)
The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - The Rage (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - The Rite (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - The Ruin (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

Queen of the Depths (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

The Haunted Lands trilogy -Unclean (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Haunted Lands trilogy -Undead (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Haunted Lands trilogy -Unholy (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

Brotherhood of the Griffon - The Captive Flame (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - Whisper of Venom (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - The Spectral Blaze (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - The Masked Witches (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - Prophet of the Dead (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

The Sundering - The Reaver(not released as of yet)

Sidenote: Blind God’s Bluff: Billy Fox Book 1 (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”) It’s not Forgotten Realms, but it’s available.

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 02 Mar 2013 08:21:33
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  14:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, Thrasymachus!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  14:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new post to The Night Bazaar is "A (Vaguely) Political Defense of Sword-and-Sorcery." Check it out:

http://night-bazaar.com/a-vaguely-political-defense-of-sword-and-sorcery.html
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  15:44:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

An insightful article, Richard.

I think of high/epic fantasy and sword and sorcery (I'd never tag them low) two sides of the same coin, and I love them both. There are moments though when I greatly enjoy the long, winding journey that only epic fantasy could offer, that's why I tend to favor it over its counterpart.

As for urban fantasy, I've gotten over it a long time ago. The last time I read UF books was back in high school. It would probably take some sort of miracle for me to grab another one.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  20:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the article, Dennis.

As far as you having no interest in urban fantasy, though, not even Blind God's Bluff? How sad.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  05:38:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, sorry, Richard.

However, my reading preference changes over time. I used to love UF, so who knows I'd regain that lost love in the future? And I'm reading some books now whose genre I used to avoid.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  22:15:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently March 4th is GM's Day, so hooray for all of us who run RPG's.

I myself am still waiting for the caravan of tribute from my players to show up at the door...

http://www.examiner.com/article/march-4-is-gm-s-day-1
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  00:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Wizards of the Coast Novels Book Club is now discussing my Forgotten Realms/Brotherhood of the Griffon novel The Captive Flame. I'll be joining in periodically to answer questions. If you'd like to join the discussion as well, here's the link:

http://community.wizards.com/bookclub
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  17:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Reddit AMA with Tim Pratt and me is today. You can post questions throughout the day, but he and I will actually be online starting at 7 EST to provide the answers. We're sharing the spotlight because we've both done Pathfinder Tales novels, but as "AMA" implies, you can ask us anything. In my case, that would include questions about Blind God's Bluff, The Impostor, my Forgotten Realms work, or whatever. Two of those who post questions will be randomly selected to receive prizes from Paizo, the Pathfinder publisher.

Here's a link to the AMA:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/19upnn/we_are_fantasy_novelists_richard_lee_byers_and/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  22:45:31  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correction to previous post: Tonight's Reddit AMA with Tim Pratt and me is at 8 CST.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/19upnn/we_are_fantasy_novelists_richard_lee_byers_and/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000